PDA

View Full Version : MLB '09: The Show.........

Pages : [1] 2 3

Mizzou B-ball fan
01-14-2009, 08:11 AM
Got some juicy info and videos finally rolling out for this game. New blog detailing the enhancements to the '09 version of the game. Some of the nice new features are 40 man roster, waivers, arbitration, and Rule 5 drafting......

PlayStation.Blog » MLB 09 The Show - Franchise Mode Enhancements (http://blog.us.playstation.com/2009/01/13/mlb-09-the-show-franchise-mode-enhancements/)

Video tours of new Yankees and Mets stadiums.......

Exclusive Virtual Tour of New Yankee Stadium via PlayStation 3 | Video | MTV (http://www.mtv.com/videos/movies/331405/exclusive-virtual-tour-of-new-yankee-stadium-via-playstation-3.jhtml)

MTV Multiplayer » Exclusive: Virtual Tour Of New Mets Stadium, Rendered On PlayStation 3 (http://multiplayerblog.mtv.com/2009/01/13/exclusive-virtual-tour-of-new-mets-stadium/)

RainMaker
01-14-2009, 08:25 AM
That sounds real nice. I'm looking forward to it. My only gripe with the franchise modes in baseball is that they can't get the full minor leagues. I'm assuming it's a player rights issue, but it would be nice to have the entire minors for every team in the game.

Radii
01-14-2009, 08:39 AM
There's a fair chance that this game coming out will be the tipping point that finally pushes me to buy a PS3.

Logan
01-14-2009, 09:00 AM
Two of my roommates have PS3s now, and they get absolutely no play outside of Blu Ray watching, so might just pick this up.

Mizzou B-ball fan
01-14-2009, 09:40 AM
That sounds real nice. I'm looking forward to it. My only gripe with the franchise modes in baseball is that they can't get the full minor leagues. I'm assuming it's a player rights issue, but it would be nice to have the entire minors for every team in the game.

To clarify, do you mean getting the real names of all minor league players or do you mean all of the teams going down to A ball/Rookie league.

Mizzou B-ball fan
01-14-2009, 09:41 AM
......and they get absolutely no play outside of Blu Ray watching.....

Anyone else read this differently than it was likely intended?

Icy
01-14-2009, 10:21 AM
Really looking forward for this game, as every year.

Logan
01-14-2009, 10:23 AM
Anyone else read this differently than it was likely intended?

They both have serious girlfriends, so...yeah.

Mizzou B-ball fan
01-14-2009, 10:34 AM
They both have serious girlfriends, so...yeah.

Good. Glad to hear they're getting plenty of 'play'.

RainMaker
01-14-2009, 11:16 AM
To clarify, do you mean getting the real names of all minor league players or do you mean all of the teams going down to A ball/Rookie league.

All the minor league players. Or at least more than what is currently offered. They should have the top 15 prospects for each team.

Ryan S
01-14-2009, 01:11 PM
All the minor league players. Or at least more than what is currently offered. They should have the top 15 prospects for each team.

I would be surprised if they could add anyone who has never been on a Major League 40 man roster, as they will not be members of MLBPA.

Icy
01-14-2009, 01:22 PM
I would be surprised if they could add anyone who has never been on a Major League 40 man roster, as they will not be members of MLBPA.

Exactly, they do free weekly roster updates (EA learn from this) and only those players who have ever been in the 40 men roster are included.

The good news are that a couple of guys nicknamed Knight/jim416 over at OS forums, work every year on a full roster set with all minors included and it's usually released early in the season.

rowech
01-14-2009, 01:44 PM
I plan on waiting until April as I've read many places that an expected Sony price drop is coming with the PS3. This game is the one game that would make me finally pick one up.

FBPro
01-14-2009, 11:06 PM
Gotten it for PSP the last 3 years, still the best game on PSP for my $$. Yes, it is even worth it on a handheld.

SackAttack
01-14-2009, 11:28 PM

Even some guys who have been on 40-man rosters aren't part of MLBPA. Not a lot of 'em, but they're out there.

Mizzou B-ball fan
01-15-2009, 08:19 AM
Gotten it for PSP the last 3 years, still the best game on PSP for my $$. Yes, it is even worth it on a handheld.

I love the option of moving your career between the PSP and PS3. Great thing to have if you travel regularly and don't want to lug your PS3 along for the ride.

Icy
01-15-2009, 08:52 AM
I love the option of moving your career between the PSP and PS3. Great thing to have if you travel regularly and don't want to lug your PS3 along for the ride.

Umm that option was not there past year as they said it was impossible to use as much stats data in the PSP from a PS3 export.

Mizzou B-ball fan
01-15-2009, 09:20 AM
Umm that option was not there past year as they said it was impossible to use as much stats data in the PSP from a PS3 export.

I thought it was coming this year. Is that not the case?

CraigSca
01-21-2009, 01:12 PM
Absolutely psyched-psyched-psyched for this after reading the updated MLB blog where they focus on the AI. The one major gripe I had with the game last year was the need to change the fielder's attributes because of the perfect cut-off angles. Now, the fielders will curve towards and behind the ball on hits to the outfield meaning there will be more extra-base hits!

check out the video here: PlayStation.Blog » MLB 09 The Show – New and Improved A.I. (http://blog.us.playstation.com/2009/01/20/mlb-09-the-show-%E2%80%93-new-and-improved-ai/)

Mizzou B-ball fan
01-28-2009, 07:50 AM
More drool-worthy information. First, another blog post detailing the changes in the RTTS mode. TroyF is going to be pretty happy about these developments........

PlayStation.Blog » MLB 09 The Show – Road To The Show Enhancements (http://blog.us.playstation.com/2009/01/27/mlb-09-the-show-%e2%80%93-road-to-the-show-enhancements/)

Second, a good interview by Operation Sports that gives more game info........

Interview With MLB 09: The Show Online Producer Jason Villa - Operation Sports (http://www.operationsports.com/feature.php?id=808)

CraigSca
01-28-2009, 08:54 AM
My favorite part is that I get to dress-up real major leaguers in the socks I want them to wear! I'm going to be up all night mixing and matching!

SunDevil
01-28-2009, 09:01 AM
So the new title will start with the word Maximum? :D

Mizzou B-ball fan
01-28-2009, 09:18 AM
My favorite part is that I get to dress-up real major leaguers in the socks I want them to wear! I'm going to be up all night mixing and matching!

Yeah, I don't get the the whole 'Are the official red wristbands that Manny Ramirez wears only on his left arm in the game?' crowd that seems to frequent the Operation Sports forums. With that said, the changes in baserunning are moreso what I was referencing.

Icy
01-28-2009, 09:21 AM
Love the RTTS changes, specially all the fast forwarding options so if i'm an slow slugger who get in first base, i don't need to painfully watch all my team mates full at bats while slowly moving one base.

The same about fielding that was fun at first but ended being repetitive.

Can't udnerestand how some guys are complaining that they would like to be on defense for every defensive play. Can't see where is the fun watching balls flying over you if you are an infielder for example, and how much real life hours would you need to play a few seasons?

Mizzou B-ball fan
01-28-2009, 09:32 AM
Can't udnerestand how some guys are complaining that they would like to be on defense for every defensive play. Can't see where is the fun watching balls flying over you if you are an infielder for example, and how much real life hours would you need to play a few seasons?

I don't see any problem with them including that as an option if people really want it. But I agree with you that I've got better things to do with my spare time.

Godzilla Blitz
01-28-2009, 12:47 PM
You know, as I read their blog posts, I really get the sense that these guys want to make their game better, whereas when I read the new features about Madden and such, I always get the feeling that they want to impress me so that I buy the game. The difference is subtle, but I like the former approach a lot better.

I just got a PS3 a month ago. I'm really looking forward to this one.

TroyF
01-28-2009, 01:32 PM
Thank God. If I create a speedy basestealer, then fine, I'll run the bases. If I create a power hitting corner outfielder, I have zero desire to add 10 minutes a game to me going from station to station.

That one thing alone sells the game for me.

RainMaker
01-28-2009, 01:36 PM
You know, as I read their blog posts, I really get the sense that these guys want to make their game better, whereas when I read the new features about Madden and such, I always get the feeling that they want to impress me so that I buy the game. The difference is subtle, but I like the former approach a lot better.

I just got a PS3 a month ago. I'm really looking forward to this one.

They give off a vibe that you'd get from the High Heat group back in the day. Just a group of developers who love the sport and want to make it more realistic. That's a very good thing.

Mizzou B-ball fan
02-04-2009, 10:31 AM
Blog from the developers about the new training modes in the game........

PlayStation.Blog » MLB 09 The Show – Road to the Show Training Modes (http://blog.us.playstation.com/2009/02/03/mlb-09-the-show-%e2%80%93-road-to-the-show-training-modes/)

PastaPadre has some screenshots from their hands-on session.......

MLB 09 The Show Event Screenshots #1 | pastapadre.com (http://www.pastapadre.com/6067/mlb-09-the-show-event-screenshots-1)

Ryan S
02-04-2009, 05:05 PM
There are rumors about the demo being released tomorrow...

EDIT - IGN: MLB '09: The Show Preview (http://ps3.ign.com/articles/951/951162p1.html) - IGN have a hands on with the demo

Mizzou B-ball fan
02-05-2009, 07:43 AM
There are rumors about the demo being released tomorrow...

EDIT - IGN: MLB '09: The Show Preview (http://ps3.ign.com/articles/951/951162p1.html) - IGN have a hands on with the demo

Yep, PastaPadre and a few other sites have confirmed it. Demo will be out later today. Can't wait to get home and load it up.

RainMaker
02-05-2009, 01:32 PM
This is a mini rant about baseball games in general. Why don't they put old stadiums in the game? Heck, even make them cost money. I'm talking Polo Grounds, Ebbets Field, Sportsmans, Crosley, and the Baker Bowl. Baseball games never seem to embrace the rich history that makes it so special.

BTW, this was my favorite part of the old Earl Weaver games.

Mizzou B-ball fan
02-05-2009, 01:36 PM
This is a mini rant about baseball games in general. Why don't they put old stadiums in the game? Heck, even make them cost money. I'm talking Polo Grounds, Ebbets Field, Sportsmans, Crosley, and the Baker Bowl. Baseball games never seem to embrace the rich history that makes it so special.

A lot of the PC games do it. Never seemed to catch on with console games.

Ryan S
02-05-2009, 06:58 PM
The Demo is online, and it weighs in at just under 1.6gb.

The demo did not appear to be in the new releases section, but you can find it in the demo section of the store.

Philliesfan980
02-05-2009, 07:01 PM
The Demo is online, and it weighs in at just under 1.6gb.

The demo did not appear to be in the new releases section, but you can find it in the demo section of the store.

Grabbing it now, only about 6% done, I'm surprised the servers can handle this kind of action.

SunDevil
02-05-2009, 07:23 PM
http://tbn0.google.com/images?q=tbn:BvSEX773mHSlKM:http://www.bbc.co.uk/cult/st/gallery/images/340/tosscottie1.jpg

SackAttack
02-05-2009, 07:58 PM
Augh. There are at least three things I want to download from this update.

MLB 09 the Show demo, NHL 3 on 3 demo, Phantasy Star Portable demo.

This is gonna be a late night.

darkenigma510
02-05-2009, 08:22 PM

Get MVP 2005 for PC,,,if you can find it..or afford it ;)

CraigSca
02-06-2009, 07:28 AM
Played my first game (or half of one, anyway).

So far, I've seen 3 things I like better than last year:

1) I hit a ball into the gap for a double! I hit a ball down the left-field line for a double, too (Ryan Howard, opposite field). Both these extra-base hits would have never happened last year.

2) I've found, especially with curveballs, if you're not dead-on with the pitching meter, it has a higher tendency to go in the dirt. That's a good thing - as generally the accuracy of pitchers was overdone in previous iterations. I've only had Cole Hamels as my pitcher thus far, so I look forward to seeing the behavior of other pitchers.

3) In the 3 innings I've played, I've had an overthrow from the outfield (that didn't make it into the dugout, so I was thrown out trying to take the extra base) and a dink ground ball that was misplayed by Longoria as he was hauling it to get it to first in time (overthrow, advance to second base). It just feels like real fielding - not everyone is perfect.

I had to turn it off leading 1-0 in the 3rd - my run scored on a double and a single - no homeruns as of yet.

Oh, and my 10 year old asked why there are shadows on the field this year - and yes, as the game progressed, the shadows moved.

If you care about baseball, you owe it to yourself to get a PS3.

Logan
02-06-2009, 07:30 AM
How the hell do you switch defenders? Didn't seem to be listed in the on-screen controls.

Mizzou B-ball fan
02-06-2009, 08:02 AM
Augh. There are at least three things I want to download from this update.

MLB 09 the Show demo, NHL 3 on 3 demo, Phantasy Star Portable demo.

This is gonna be a late night.

There was a new Hot Shots course as well. Ridiculously good update yesterday.

I was only able to play a couple of innings of the game, but I didn't see anything that would change the fact that this is by far the best sports game on a console. One new thing I noticed was the announcers calling out an umpire by name when he blew a call. I'm sure there's plenty more new stuff, but parenting duty called, so I was limited to two innings of play.

Philliesfan980
02-06-2009, 08:14 AM
Played my first game (or half of one, anyway).

So far, I've seen 3 things I like better than last year:

1) I hit a ball into the gap for a double! I hit a ball down the left-field line for a double, too (Ryan Howard, opposite field). Both these extra-base hits would have never happened last year.

2) I've found, especially with curveballs, if you're not dead-on with the pitching meter, it has a higher tendency to go in the dirt. That's a good thing - as generally the accuracy of pitchers was overdone in previous iterations. I've only had Cole Hamels as my pitcher thus far, so I look forward to seeing the behavior of other pitchers.

3) In the 3 innings I've played, I've had an overthrow from the outfield (that didn't make it into the dugout, so I was thrown out trying to take the extra base) and a dink ground ball that was misplayed by Longoria as he was hauling it to get it to first in time (overthrow, advance to second base). It just feels like real fielding - not everyone is perfect.

I had to turn it off leading 1-0 in the 3rd - my run scored on a double and a single - no homeruns as of yet.

Oh, and my 10 year old asked why there are shadows on the field this year - and yes, as the game progressed, the shadows moved.

If you care about baseball, you owe it to yourself to get a PS3.

I would like to echo Craig's thoughts. I bought last years game, but because of a lack of time, I didn't get around to playing it much. This demo is absolutely amazing. Of course, time will tell if there are any bugs in other aspects of the game (FA, Progression, Fatigue, etc) but so far, this is the best console sports game I've ever played.

I might actually finish a 162 season for the first time since High Heat.

Icy
02-06-2009, 09:20 AM
Played one game as Phillies in All star and won it 0-2 (2-5 hits).

- In the second inning, got an empty bases HR with Victorino when i waited patiently to get 3-1 ahead in the count and hit hard a low ball.

- In the third inning got another empty bases HR with Howard.

- I got hit by pitch once, was a nice animation.

I love the graphics and animations, need to play more games to see if i just were lucky with those 2 HR or if i'll need to move to HOF level.

Logan
02-06-2009, 09:35 AM
What are the level of bugs that usually show up in demos? Saw two in two games yesterday. One occurred when my buddy hit one into the gap with a runner on 1st, that guy stopped at second, the batter lapped him and went to 3rd and kept on running all the way home. I threw it to second base thinking that would get the out and nothing happened, run scored.

Later, I was on 3rd and hit a fly into the outfield. Tagged up and the throw came in and I was safe. Problem was I 100% left early and my buddy noticed it. He threw to 3rd and nothing. Then he threw it to 2nd and the ump made the out sign, and the inning was over.

Should these be fixed once the game is out? And seriously...is there a way to switch fielders?

Mizzou B-ball fan
02-06-2009, 09:54 AM
What are the level of bugs that usually show up in demos? Saw two in two games yesterday. One occurred when my buddy hit one into the gap with a runner on 1st, that guy stopped at second, the batter lapped him and went to 3rd and kept on running all the way home. I threw it to second base thinking that would get the out and nothing happened, run scored.

Later, I was on 3rd and hit a fly into the outfield. Tagged up and the throw came in and I was safe. Problem was I 100% left early and my buddy noticed it. He threw to 3rd and nothing. Then he threw it to 2nd and the ump made the out sign, and the inning was over.

Should these be fixed once the game is out? And seriously...is there a way to switch fielders?

The developers have already noted that this beta is several weeks older than the current development build. It's a beta at best. Last year's demo was the same way. I wouldn't read too much into those bugs at this point.

Eaglesfan27
02-06-2009, 12:48 PM
The developers have already noted that this beta is several weeks older than the current development build. It's a beta at best. Last year's demo was the same way. I wouldn't read too much into those bugs at this point.

Would you show this generosity if it was an EA Sports demo? Personally, I would find it concerning that bugs are in any build that was released for mass public consumption.

Mizzou B-ball fan
02-06-2009, 01:02 PM
Would you show this generosity if it was an EA Sports demo? Personally, I would find it concerning that bugs are in any build that was released for mass public consumption.

No, I wouldn't extend this generosity for an EA game because they have a history of putting out lousy games in regards to incomplete features or bugs.

I certainly agree that they need to fix it, but similar concerns were raised last year and they were resolved in the final build. The quality of this game has been award-quality over the first two iterations. Until they prove otherwise, I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt, especially since they've admitted already that it is an early build.

Logan
02-06-2009, 01:54 PM
Really not picking on you MBBF, but the RTTS was completely broken in the 2007 version. I found my guy demoted despite being an All-Star closer at 20 years old. Other people had similar problems with hitters (I remember Troy and myself going back and forth with our problems). When the main feature of your game doesn't work, it shouldn't win an award.

That being said, I realize that issue doesn't have anything to do with the on-field gameplay but it shouldn't be given a free pass (honestly don't know if it was fixed in 08, but I thought I remember seeing some similar issues, just not as bad).

Mizzou B-ball fan
02-06-2009, 02:17 PM
Really not picking on you MBBF, but the RTTS was completely broken in the 2007 version. I found my guy demoted despite being an All-Star closer at 20 years old. Other people had similar problems with hitters (I remember Troy and myself going back and forth with our problems). When the main feature of your game doesn't work, it shouldn't win an award.

That being said, I realize that issue doesn't have anything to do with the on-field gameplay but it shouldn't be given a free pass (honestly don't know if it was fixed in 08, but I thought I remember seeing some similar issues, just not as bad).

You're absolutely right. As you mention, it doesn't have anything to do with gameplay, but the promotion ladder was based on ratings rather than performance. It wasn't a realistic measure of promotion. That was tweaked in the last version and it seemed to help quite a bit, but there's always room for improvement. No one is giving anything a free pass. It should just be recognized that it's a beta for all intensive purposes.

I do think your point makes a great argument regarding demos. I've always thought that releasing a demo too far in advance is a really lousy idea. It leads to things like what you've mentioned that won't likely be in the final build and provide a negative perception of the game. Release date is always on a Tuesday. A demo for the game should never be put out there earlier than the Thursday (PSN update date) previous to the release date or Wednesday if we're talking about the 360. That's still plenty of time for people to play the demo for a couple of hours and get a feel for the game before they buy it.

Logan
02-06-2009, 02:25 PM
I do agree. I was playing against my roommate last night and seeing the bugs he was saying that there was no way he was gonna buy it. I figured that this was at least a few weeks behind current development and told him I'm sure it wouldn't be in the game (especially something like a batter being able to overrun a baserunner -- I've never seen that in a game even on purpose so it seemed like a glitch). But yeah I could see it pushing people away...who knows.

Atocep
02-06-2009, 06:24 PM
I've only had a chance to play a little bit so far, but I'm impressed with what I see. Defenders act much more realistically in this version and pitching seems a little more difficult (in a good way).

Big Fo
02-06-2009, 08:47 PM
I've played the demo three times and have yet to score a run. Hitting off Hamels/Kazmir with practically all lefty lineups on both sides is rough. I have gotten my share of hits, drawn a walk or two, so the runs will come though.

Game looks sweet.

cody8200
02-07-2009, 10:04 PM
I've played the demo three times and have yet to score a run. Hitting off Hamels/Kazmir with practically all lefty lineups on both sides is rough. I have gotten my share of hits, drawn a walk or two, so the runs will come though.

Game looks sweet.

I finally hit a 2 run homer with Utley to "win the game". Good times :)

MrDNA
02-08-2009, 12:12 PM
Sounding quite good so far. This is only available for PS3? At some point I'm going to need to upgrade my console so I'm looking for things to help me make a decision - a great baseball game would be priority 1.

Big Fo
02-08-2009, 01:07 PM
Sounding quite good so far. This is only available for PS3? At some point I'm going to need to upgrade my console so I'm looking for things to help me make a decision - a great baseball game would be priority 1.

PS3/PS2/PSP

EagleFan
02-08-2009, 02:09 PM

The problem is the game is only available on the PS3 but the 360 is a better system IMHO.

rowech
02-08-2009, 02:53 PM
I'm hopeful the PS3 is going to see a price cut in March as I've read rumors of and I will buy it solely for this game and the Blue Ray player.

duff88
02-08-2009, 06:34 PM
I have not touched a baseball game since MVP 2004.

This demo is unbelievable. I'm going to buy the game for sure. Can't wait! :popcorn:

Mizzou B-ball fan
02-09-2009, 07:34 AM
Great deal for the PSP version of the game. $10 under retail with free shipping at Amazon. It's a great portable game with the same RTTS mode that makes the console version so good.

http://www.amazon.com/MLB-09-Sony-PSP/dp/B001O0EGLO/ref=pd_bbs_sr_4?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1234028710&sr=8-4

Mizzou B-ball fan
02-09-2009, 07:36 AM

If a great baseball game is truly your #1 priority, The Show is without question the best game on the market. It's honestly that good.

MrDNA
02-09-2009, 05:36 PM
MBBF - do you know if the PS2 version also has the same bells and whistles (just with lesser graphics) as the PS3 does?

Sweed
02-09-2009, 09:46 PM
Just finished my first game on the '09 demo and the best just got better, at least in the looks department and real world immersion. Umpiring crews are named in the pregame. Lighting, shadows moving with time of day, game starting in daylight and ending in darkness all very well done.

Very cool to see the sun shining on the field through gaps in the stands and then have a player walk through the area. RF corner in the sun one inning and in the shade the next. The lights taking effect as the sun goes down and the sky darkens etc., etc.

Hard to comment on game-play with only four innings but the infield throws are certainly improved. Made a snap throw from C to 1b that actually had something on it. It wasn't a rocket but I only tried one and may not have held the button long enough to get maximum velocity.

Definite buy again this year for me. We do have a 360 also but if I could only have one "The Show" would be the deciding factor for me in selecting a ps3, but then I love baseball so YMMV.

cody8200
02-09-2009, 09:58 PM
MBBF - do you know if the PS2 version also has the same bells and whistles (just with lesser graphics) as the PS3 does?

Last year's PS2 game was good but was missing a few bells and whistles. Still, the game engine in this game works well for all 3 systems (at least it did in 08'). I bought a PS3 earlier this year during Christmas specifically for The Show. Sony does so well with this game. I don't understand how they screw up the basketball game so much.

CraigSca
02-10-2009, 10:35 PM
is there a /jawdrop emoticon?

<object classid="clsid:D27CDB6E-AE6D-11cf-96B8-444553540000" width="437" height="265" id="viddler"><param name="movie" value="http://www.viddler.com/simple_on_site/bd3a9366" /><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always" /><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true" /><param name="wmode" value="transparent" /> <embed src="http://www.viddler.com/simple_on_site/bd3a9366" width="437" height="265" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowScriptAccess="always" allowFullScreen="true" wmode="transparent" name="viddler" ></embed></object>

MrDNA
02-11-2009, 05:12 PM
Craig, because I care:

http://www.clipartof.com/images/emoticons/xsmall2/469_jaw_dropping.gif

RainMaker
02-11-2009, 06:19 PM
That is unreal. I'm wondering if they throw the ball back on the field at Wrigley when the opposing team homers.

Mizzou B-ball fan
02-12-2009, 06:48 AM
Couple of new articles on the game. Gameshark has a Q&A with the developer......

GameShark | Features | MLB 09: The Show Team Q&A (http://www.gameshark.com/features/566/MLB-09-The-Show-Team-Q&A.htm)

A blog about the new bells and whistles in the game.........

PlayStation.Blog » Attention To Details: The Little Things That Help MLB 09 The Show Shine (http://blog.us.playstation.com/2009/02/10/attention-to-details-the-little-things-that-help-mlb-09-the-show-shine/)

RainMaker
02-13-2009, 05:04 PM
Is anyone concerned about the MLB exclusive license being eaten up by EA in two years? Take-Two has seemingly been dropping out of the sports gaming market over the years and it wouldn't surprise me if they decided to pass on renewing this. Would give EA an opportunity to come in and get an ironclad agreement which would kill The Show. Couple years away but scary to think they could destroy another sport.

dervack
02-13-2009, 05:20 PM
Is anyone concerned about the MLB exclusive license being eaten up by EA in two years? Take-Two has seemingly been dropping out of the sports gaming market over the years and it wouldn't surprise me if they decided to pass on renewing this. Would give EA an opportunity to come in and get an ironclad agreement which would kill The Show. Couple years away but scary to think they could destroy another sport.
I don't see it happening. I would imagine that MLB would continue to allow 1st party titles to be produced to go along with whomever has the license.

Big Fo
02-13-2009, 05:21 PM
Perhaps EA would take over the current agreement where they're the only third party publisher that can put out an MLB licensed game (Nintendo and Microsoft could right now but they just don't) instead of buying full exclusivity. Even that would suck since it'd likely mean the loss of Power Pros coming to the states unless EA and Konami worked something out.

RainMaker
02-13-2009, 05:25 PM
I don't see it happening. I would imagine that MLB would continue to allow 1st party titles to be produced to go along with whomever has the license.
What is there motivation though if EA can fork over a ridiculous amount of cash? I really don't believe Take-Two will have interest in renewing and MLB will want to re-coup that cash from somewhere. If EA demands it, which they would be silly not to, I don't see any motivation for why MLB wouldn't allow it.

spleen1015
02-13-2009, 05:33 PM
I don't think EA does it because doing it for the NFL hasn't made them any money. They have lost too much there.

dervack
02-13-2009, 05:34 PM
I don't see EA forking over that much cash, especially with the fact that they aren't probably making the money back in the NFL deal right now. Besides, the more people who sell baseball games, the more money MLB gets.

Karlifornia
02-13-2009, 05:42 PM
That looks awesome.

Mizzou B-ball fan
02-20-2009, 08:00 AM
Another trailer............

<object classid="clsid:D27CDB6E-AE6D-11cf-96B8-444553540000" width="437" height="288" id="viddler"><param name="movie" value="http://www.viddler.com/player/5a908bb6/" /><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always" /><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true" /><param name="wmode" value="transparent"/><embed src="http://www.viddler.com/player/5a908bb6/" width="437" height="288" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowScriptAccess="always" allowFullScreen="true" wmode="transparent" name="viddler" ></embed></object>

New MLB 09 The Show PS3 Trailer - Loot Ninja (http://loot-ninja.com/2009/02/19/new-mlb-09-the-show-ps3-trailer/)

Release date cannot come soon enough.

Ajaxab
02-20-2009, 10:10 AM
For those of you who played RTTS last year, how does it compare to the Power Pros individual career mode? Obviously, there won't be the interactions with friends and restaurant owners and equipment sellers, but does one work their way through the minors? Can you be traded? It does looks like contract negotiations are part of the game.

I also noticed that some people over at Operation Sports have already created audio files for parks and walk up music for a ton of players. Very cool...

Mizzou B-ball fan
02-20-2009, 10:24 AM
For those of you who played RTTS last year, how does it compare to the Power Pros individual career mode? Obviously, there won't be the interactions with friends and restaurant owners and equipment sellers, but does one work their way through the minors? Can you be traded? It does looks like contract negotiations are part of the game.

I also noticed that some people over at Operation Sports have already created audio files for parks and walk up music for a ton of players. Very cool...

1. You start in AA ball usually. Yes, you do progress through the minors. The '07 version of the game relied far too much on ratings rather than statistics, which often left your player in the minors despite huge offensive numbers. They did a good job of adjusting that in the '08 version. They did a bit more tweaking of it this year, so it should be pretty good.

2. You can be traded.

3. Yes, you negotiate your contract when needed. Also, they've added arbitration into the game this year, so you'll be able to negotiate before finally going before the arbitrator in this year's version.

I saw that thread with all the audio files. Lots of VERY nice mod options for this year's game.

RainMaker
02-20-2009, 06:25 PM
I feel like a kid again with this game. I honestly haven't been this giddy for a release date since I was in high school waiting for Madden to drop.

Mizzou B-ball fan
02-25-2009, 08:11 AM
New blog entry out with details on the online play and online leagues. This was one of the weaker areas of the game last year. We'll see if their improments make a noticable change in the online arena.......

PlayStation.Blog » MLB 09 The Show Online Season Leagues and Improvements (http://blog.us.playstation.com/2009/02/23/mlb-09-the-show-online-season-leagues-and-improvements/)

TroyF
02-25-2009, 03:32 PM

I've played both and like The Show a lot better.

The last two years The Show had very different problems.

In 07 they based everything off of ratings, not actual numbers. After rearing up the minor leagues that year, I got called up to The Show and proceeded to sit on the bench for 45 straight days. Sitting that long caused my ratings to stagnate and threw me into sort of a loop. The next year I started in the minors on fire, got called up and away we went again.

In '08, they fixed that issue. Then they broke something else. You couldn't fast forward through your base running duties. It doesn't sound that bad, but it was actually a killer. I'm a power hitting left fielder, station to station baserunner. If I get a walk or single to start an inning, I might be standing on first for 10 minutes watching other guys hack away.

With all of that said, it was still a blast to play and I put hours and hours into those careers. This year both of the issues are supposed to be fixed. If that really happens, I'm worried my soon to be wife will be filing papers on me.

Mizzou B-ball fan
02-26-2009, 07:18 AM
In '08, they fixed that issue. Then they broke something else. You couldn't fast forward through your base running duties. It doesn't sound that bad, but it was actually a killer. I'm a power hitting left fielder, station to station baserunner. If I get a walk or single to start an inning, I might be standing on first for 10 minutes watching other guys hack away.

Let's be honest here. It wasn't broken. It was an annoyance for people who wanted to play a lot of games quickly. In some cases, it could be annoying to the point where you might stop playing the game, but it's not a 'broken' feature. It was a poor design decision.

As you mentioned, they allow you to skip baserunning now, so that's in the past thankfully.

SunDevil
02-26-2009, 07:51 AM
The last version I played was '07. I loved that game. The game looking at only the ratings were annoying.

The other issue I had was every 3rd or 4th game the manager would bench me, even though I was the best shortstop ratings and stats wise on the team. I wanted to see how many games I could play in a row, but could never get around the manager benching me.

Also I wanted to be lead-off hitter. Had maxed speed and base stealing abilities, but pushed my right and left power ratings passed 60 and was regulated to the clean up slot for rest of my career. Which affected my chance of breaking Ricky's records. And when I asked the manager to move me up the line up, all he did was get angry.

Hopefully, these are fixed in '09.

Mizzou B-ball fan
02-26-2009, 07:59 AM
The other issue I had was every 3rd or 4th game the manager would bench me, even though I was the best shortstop ratings and stats wise on the team. I wanted to see how many games I could play in a row, but could never get around the manager benching me.

I had the same issue in the '07 version. It wasn't a problem in the '08 version of the game. I played 150-155 games a season with my RTTS player in the majors.

TroyF
02-26-2009, 08:52 AM
Let's be honest here. It wasn't broken. It was an annoyance for people who wanted to play a lot of games quickly. In some cases, it could be annoying to the point where you might stop playing the game, but it's not a 'broken' feature. It was a poor design decision.

As you mentioned, they allow you to skip baserunning now, so that's in the past thankfully.

You can call it what you want. In my opinion, the poor design decision broke the game for me. As many hours as I put into last year, it would have been triple the time if that had been handled correctly. They pulled an EA and took a solid, working feature out of the game. Now, unlike EA, they listened to their users and made the proper changes. Good for them.

Big Fo
02-26-2009, 01:53 PM
Watching Spring Training on ESPN they've been showing a pretty good commercial for the Show almost every break. Pedrioa is complaining about how he's rated in the game, it reminds me of those old PS1 NFL Gameday commercials where Robert Brooks was playing the game and whined "that doesn't show off my breakaway speed."

Looking forward to getting this next week.

Neuqua
02-26-2009, 02:20 PM
When did Troy get married?

Eaglesfan27
02-26-2009, 02:28 PM
When did Troy get married?

I was wondering the same thing. Anyway, congrats Troy!

SunDevil
02-26-2009, 06:30 PM
If that really happens, I'm worried my soon to be wife will be filing papers on me.

I do not think he is married yet. And I am sure everyone's invitation is in the mail... :)

RainMaker
03-01-2009, 08:36 AM
My first full year with this game coming soon. Is there going to be a league or a lot of you guys playing online? I'm always a little leary of just playing randoms as they rarely end in good experiences.

Note: Folks on OS are saying it's a lagfest so far.

Mizzou B-ball fan
03-01-2009, 09:00 AM
Note: Folks on OS are saying it's a lagfest so far.

Shouldn't be a big surprise there. They had some lag issues early on last year. I think it's one of the primary reasons they don't allow anyone to play leagues for 14 days. They say it's because they don't want random players quitting on the early leagues, but I've heard that they also use it as a public beta time to clean any loose ends up on the online play. Not a good excuse, but it's an excuse.

I honestly played nothing but RTTS in the first two versions on the PS3. No online play at all. Probably will be the same with this version.

RainMaker
03-01-2009, 09:11 AM
Sad how very few game companies can have good online play. 2K has been a laughing stock and from the sounds of it, SCEA has its issues. For all their faults, EA is really the only company that puts out satisfactory online gameplay.

Mizzou B-ball fan
03-01-2009, 11:48 AM
Sad how very few game companies can have good online play. 2K has been a laughing stock and from the sounds of it, SCEA has its issues. For all their faults, EA is really the only company that puts out satisfactory online gameplay.

It's somewhat of a trade-off. The problem with console sports is that there are actually very few gamers who play sports games online. 2K released a study a couple of years back that showed only 1-2% of their gamers even used the online league feature at all. There's not a huge motivation to invest a lot in online play with very few gamers even playing online.

Logan
03-01-2009, 11:56 AM
I don't buy that figure. Maybe it's so low because their games don't work well online. I'm sure EA (Madden, NCAA) have a much larger user base playing online. Everyone I know sure as hell does, and they fit the casual gamer definition.

RainMaker
03-01-2009, 12:00 PM
It's somewhat of a trade-off. The problem with console sports is that there are actually very few gamers who play sports games online. 2K released a study a couple of years back that showed only 1-2% of their gamers even used the online league feature at all. There's not a huge motivation to invest a lot in online play with very few gamers even playing online.

I'm talking basic functions. Lag in regular games is unacceptable to me. If after all these years you can't figure out how to run a lag-free game, you just aren't trying.

As for leagues and stuff, I think the numbers are so low because of how bad those features have been. They've gotten bette rof late, but a couple years ago online leagues were a joke. I think when they become more customizable and easier to maintain, people will join up with them on a more frequent basis. My biggest wish is for games to have online leagues where it's treated more as a multiplayer dynasty I could play with a few college buddies of mine.

Calis
03-01-2009, 12:11 PM
Count me among the group who has never played a sports game online, and I don't see that changing anytime soon. Do the EA games allow cooperative play online against the AI? That might on me more. I do my sports gaming either in person with other people or solo. We play most ly cooperatively though which is one reason I'd love to see one of the baseball games go back to the method that the EA College baseball game did(maybe MVP also) of allowing you to either alternate batters, have one person pitch and the other field, and switch that up at will. It seems the ones that add it now you have one person batting and the other does the pitching, and that makes it pretty dull for the other guy during half the game.

So I don't care about the lag issues, but it does seem pretty shoddy and can't blame people for being annoyed. If I can play an almost flawless game of Street Fighter 4 online, they should be able to manage about anything.

I had no idea they'd removed baserunning from RTTS which was among my biggest complaint. That makes that mode a lot more interesting to me. I had counted on just using Power Pros when I had that urge because I found that so mind numbingly tedious. I usually find the fielding to be pretty dull as well, but at least that is short.

Had no idea this was coming out so soon. Now I have a tough decision this week between this or Empire.

Big Fo
03-01-2009, 12:21 PM
All the reports of people getting the game early are painful to read, there are no mom and pop stores around here that will break street dates. Two more days...

Icy
03-01-2009, 01:50 PM
FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCKKKKKKKK

My PS3 just died.

I was playing Fallout, the game froze, turned the Ps3 off and now it doesn't read any disc.

I have been searching around and it seems i finally got the broken lens problem that a good amount of 60gb Ps3 have.

The good news is that i have two years warranty and my Ps3 is 20 months old.

The bad news is that if i send my Ps3 to Sony, i'll be probably over 2 months without console if i want mine repaired, else i can ask them to send me a new 80gb model (they don't have 60gb models anymore) and it will take 1 month or so. I'll probably take that offer for a new console, but with the 80gb one i'll loss the compatibillity with Ps2 games, the card reader and 2 USB ports.

And all this when i receive both killzone 2 and MLB the show next week :/

Now i need to explain my wife that i'm going to buy another PS3 and then will sell it once my original one is returned from Sony. :D

RainMaker
03-01-2009, 02:16 PM
FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCKKKKKKKK

My PS3 just died.

I was playing Fallout, the game froze, turned the Ps3 off and now it doesn't read any disc.

I have been searching around and it seems i finally got the broken lens problem that a good amount of 60gb Ps3 have.

The good news is that i have two years warranty and my Ps3 is 20 months old.

The bad news is that if i send my Ps3 to Sony, i'll be probably over 2 months without console if i want mine repaired, else i can ask them to send me a new 80gb model (they don't have 60gb models anymore) and it will take 1 month or so. I'll probably take that offer for a new console, but with the 80gb one i'll loss the compatibillity with Ps2 games, the card reader and 2 USB ports.

And all this when i receive both killzone 2 and MLB the show next week :/

Now i need to explain my wife that i'm going to buy another PS3 and then will sell it once my original one is returned from Sony. :D

Two months? That's nuts! My 360 died on me a month ago and I literally had it back in just over 1 week.

Icy
03-01-2009, 02:30 PM
Two months? That's nuts! My 360 died on me a month ago and I literally had it back in just over 1 week.

The problem is that they do not have stock of Euro 60gb Ps3 (the first released one that was discontinued shortly), so they fix old ones as they get them and return them to you. The new 80gb ones do not have that big delivery time, its more about 3 weeks (still too much, but this is Spain).

The only advantage we have for living in Spain is that we get two years warranty instead of the standard one, as every electronic device sold in Spain must have those 2 full waranty years.

That is why they are offering us old model owners to get the 80gb one instead, but missing some features that the new one doesn't have. In exchange you get 20gb more of HD and the new chips that heat less.

Tomorrow morning ill call Sony to get more details, but this couldn't have happened at a worse time.

RainMaker
03-01-2009, 02:38 PM
Count me among the group who has never played a sports game online, and I don't see that changing anytime soon. Do the EA games allow cooperative play online against the AI? That might on me more. I do my sports gaming either in person with other people or solo. We play most ly cooperatively though which is one reason I'd love to see one of the baseball games go back to the method that the EA College baseball game did(maybe MVP also) of allowing you to either alternate batters, have one person pitch and the other field, and switch that up at will. It seems the ones that add it now you have one person batting and the other does the pitching, and that makes it pretty dull for the other guy during half the game.

So I don't care about the lag issues, but it does seem pretty shoddy and can't blame people for being annoyed. If I can play an almost flawless game of Street Fighter 4 online, they should be able to manage about anything.

I had no idea they'd removed baserunning from RTTS which was among my biggest complaint. That makes that mode a lot more interesting to me. I had counted on just using Power Pros when I had that urge because I found that so mind numbingly tedious. I usually find the fielding to be pretty dull as well, but at least that is short.

Had no idea this was coming out so soon. Now I have a tough decision this week between this or Empire.

I'm also someone who rarely plays online. My reasoning is simply that it's filled with jagoffs. I think a lot of people feel the same way. If games could clean up their online system and add some interesting features like you mentioned above, I think we'd see online become a more important part of the game. I know these game makers think that they don't lose customers over online, but I would definitely buy more sports games if their systems were better.

Icy
03-02-2009, 04:11 AM
I called Sony this morning and they are going to replace my Ps3 with a totally new one. The only problem as i said is that i'll get a new 80gb model instead of my 60gb one as it's discontinued.

I think i'm even happy as my warranty expires in two months, so better now than then. Also i like the extra 20gb, the 65nm chip and the new bluray drive that is supposed to not to have the problem old models had. In exchange i lose the compatibility with PS2 games that my old model had, but i must admit i have not ever played a PS2 game in my PS3. The only extra value mine had was in ebay as people is looking for those old models with ps2 compatibillity.

The hard time will be to have here both MLB 09 and killzone 2 unpacked for 2 or 3 weeks until the new one arrives.

CraigSca
03-02-2009, 07:07 AM
How long did they say it would take? I would seriously consider buying a new one in the interim as your timing is absolutely horrific.

I bought a PS3 last year and have two games for it: MLB 08: The Show and LittleBigPlanet for the kids. As far as I'm concerned the Show is the only must-have game there is.

Good luck!

Mizzou B-ball fan
03-02-2009, 07:12 AM
Some heavy-duty franchise impressions from Bill Abner after simming several seasons. Overall, they're pretty positive with the retirement model being his only complaint.

The Nut and the Feisty Weasel: The Show: Free Agents and a Test Sim (http://nutweasel.blogspot.com/2009/02/show-free-agents-and-test-sim.html)

The Nut and the Feisty Weasel: The Show Franchise Notes (http://nutweasel.blogspot.com/2009/03/show-franchise-notes.html)

The Nut and the Feisty Weasel: More Quick Notes (http://nutweasel.blogspot.com/2009/03/more-quick-notes.html)

The Nut and the Feisty Weasel: The Show 2013; Cool Rooks, Retirement Annoyance (http://nutweasel.blogspot.com/2009/03/show-2013-cool-rooks-retirement.html)

PastaPadre has put up several HD videos and screenshots of the game. Looks REALLY nice. Only caviat is that a couple of the videos are from online play, so you might see the occasional lags in video that have been mentioned.

MLB 09 The Show Is Here | pastapadre.com (http://www.pastapadre.com/6677/mlb-09-the-show-is-here)

Also, a patch is reportedly in the works to improve lag in online play (doesn't this feel like week-old deja-vu, 2K-style?) and will be available a couple of days after the game is released.

Big Fo
03-02-2009, 08:56 AM
Yeah that's not too bad. Team ERA's are maybe half a run too high and star players sometimes retire in their mid-30's but solid sim stats otherwise. Could be worse could be better it sounds like...

Eaglesfan27
03-02-2009, 12:48 PM
The retirement model seems like a big issue to me. That would drive me crazy if my star retired at 33 for no good reason. Sounds like career trajectories are messed up as a whole. Here is the text of Bill Abner's post on the subject:

2013 is done, and we are now 5 years into this so we should start to see some new faces popping up on the leader boards. And we are.

Batting Avg: There were 4 players in the top 25 in BA in the NL and 5 in the AL -- these are players 25 years old or less (and one straight up 18 year old rook). However, these were all 1st round picks. I haven't seen many picks of the later rounds do much yet. Again, this reminds me of OOTP a few years ago.

Pitchers: 2 pitchers made the top 20 in ERA in the NL; 3 in the AL. One kid won 17 games in his 2nd MLB season.

The Age model is now officially my #1 gripe with The Show this year. I don't have very many complaints but this is one of them. If you have read my notes below you know what I mean -- this is a pattern at this point.

Pujols just retired after 2013 -- not due to injury. He's *33*. He quits after a 41 HR season where he hit .291. Why? I have absolutely no idea. A-Rod retires at 37 after hitting .296 with 47 homers. Jeter hits .317 and calls it a career.

These players are not getting worse fast enough -- not even close in my view. A-Rod at 37 hitting 47 homers and quitting? The players are retiring not because they can't play anymore (which is what the game should do) but because the player hits some age gap and just quits. It's somewhat frustrating if you're a franchise player and want to see these old vets lose some luster and then quit. 47 homers is a shitload of luster, folks.

This is not a game breaker by any stretch, but I don't think I'm going to be the only person who doesn't like how this works.

Edit to add an excerpt of some other franchise gripes from Bill as well as further illustrations of the career trajectory being wrong:

A lot of retired players are calling it quits with a lot left in the tank. Thome retires at 40 but in 2011 hit .271 with 35 HRs. Lidge retires at 34 (?) after saving 37 games. Hoffman finally quits at 43 after another 40 save season. Reds MR Mike Lincoln retires at 35 after another sub 3 ERA year appearing in 65 games. Ordonez retires after hitting .301 at the age of 37. Too early to tell, but these dudes are aging -- slowly.

A few too many "solid" players (not stars) wallow in the FA pool. No one can use Matt Lindstorm? 35 saves and a 2.98 ERA in 2010 and no one wants him?

If a player is not signed during the FA period the odds of them being signed during the year are...not good. Teams (CPU AI) rarely do that in this game.

Mizzou B-ball fan
03-02-2009, 01:08 PM
Rumor is that the retirement issue is already ready to be patched. I haven't seen anything official at this point, so we'll have to wait and see. I do know that Abner talks with the developers, so my guess is that he's already alerted them to the situation.

The retirement piece of a sports game is usually a randomized attribute. As they age, the chance of retirement increases. My guess is that the percentages on this randomizer are weighted too far towards retirement at this point. Not sure how this was altered as last version didn't have this issue.

RainMaker
03-02-2009, 01:12 PM
Rumor is that the retirement issue is already ready to be patched. I haven't seen anything official at this point, so we'll have to wait and see. I do know that Abner talks with the developers, so my guess is that he's already alerted them to the situation.

The retirement piece of a sports game is usually a randomized attribute. As they age, the chance of retirement increases. My guess is that the percentages on this randomizer are weighted too far towards retirement at this point. Not sure how this was altered as last version didn't have this issue.

Where did you read it was going to be patched?

The problem with the retirement model is it's completely based on age and not declining performance. Most players retire because they simply can't produce at a high level anymore. I don't have a problem with A-Rod retiring at 37 if it's coming off a season where he hits .260 with 15 homers.

Ryan S
03-02-2009, 01:57 PM
I have just received an email telling me the game has shipped. Hopefully it will arrive in the UK by the weekend.

Sweed
03-02-2009, 02:08 PM
Good thing about this game is I only play season mode. RTTS doesn't interest me and playing a dynasty isn't going to happen. Anything retirement wise or franchise wise will make no difference to me :p

Mizzou B-ball fan
03-02-2009, 02:17 PM
Where did you read it was going to be patched?

The developers are actively reading any problem reports on the OS boards. They are aware of the retirement issue and are working on a solution.

TroyF
03-02-2009, 02:52 PM
The developers are actively reading any problem reports on the OS boards. They are aware of the retirement issue and are working on a solution.

As I only play RTTS, this is irrelevant to me. That said, I love the irony here.

If this were EA or a 2K sports game for the 360, you would be in full fledged shred mode by now. Instead it's shrugged off by, "A patch will be out, no worries."

rowech
03-02-2009, 03:26 PM
As I only play RTTS, this is irrelevant to me. That said, I love the irony here.

If this were EA or a 2K sports game for the 360, you would be in full fledged shred mode by now. Instead it's shrugged off by, "A patch will be out, no worries."

Almost exactly what I said in the MLB2k9 thread.

TroyF
03-02-2009, 04:19 PM
Almost exactly what I said in the MLB2k9 thread.

Missed that post. But it's dead on.

CraigSca
03-02-2009, 04:31 PM
While I can see the issue with the retirement issue and I hope it gets fixed, I'll join the "This Isn't an Issue With Me" Crew as I can't imagine getting to the point where it would rear its ugly head. The game itself is so awesome, you're going to play the full season schedule. How many seasons can you put together before MLB 10 is out?

Mind you, I can see if that's not the way you play - certainly everyone is different. But I have to tell you, you're doing yourself a tremendous disservice if you're not actually playing out the games.

Philliesfan980
03-02-2009, 06:06 PM
Any Manage Only impressions?

CraigSca
03-02-2009, 06:09 PM

In a way I agree, but I have to give MBBF the benefit of the doubt. The Show is, by far, the best sports series out there.

RainMaker
03-02-2009, 07:47 PM
I'm not horribly worried about the retirement issue. Just a part of these games (seen stuff like that in OOTP for years). The online stuff has been worrisome as I had hoped to play some friends across the country. Besides the lag, some have said you can't even check swing this year. Wonder what else was pulled out or isn't working.

WSR
03-02-2009, 08:24 PM
My PSP copy of the game arrived today. I'm looking forward it, but (obviously) not nearly as much as the PS3 version. I should have ordered both versions off Amazon, maybe I would have ended up with both of them tonight.

TroyF
03-02-2009, 09:33 PM
In a way I agree, but I have to give MBBF the benefit of the doubt. The Show is, by far, the best sports series out there.

For the record, I agree with you 100%. That said, there are things that have been wrong with the Show for years and they still are not fixed. One example being doubles down the line, where Abner says there are still problems.

And while I think the team will fix the retirement and age curve issue, I think it is funny how MBBF will shred other games and companies and then gloss over The Show's issues like they aren't even there.

CraigSca
03-02-2009, 09:56 PM
For the record, I agree with you 100%. That said, there are things that have been wrong with the Show for years and they still are not fixed. One example being doubles down the line, where Abner says there are still problems.

And while I think the team will fix the retirement and age curve issue, I think it is funny how MBBF will shred other games and companies and then gloss over The Show's issues like they aren't even there.

I've been playing the demo and they've improved this immensely. While doubles were troublesome last year, they're not this year at all. Okay, perhaps more of the hits down the line should be doubles (like Abner says) but overall the frequency is correct.

It's actually rather fortunate, because if EA and the Madden/NCAA crew could make a football game as good as the Show, I'd probably never leave the house.

BigPapi
03-02-2009, 09:59 PM

Just thought I'd poke my head in here and mention that Abner is one of the few guys who is still complaining about the doubles down the line issues. A number of posters over at OS have gone out of their way to mention this is much improved...Maybe they aren't looking hard enough. We can all decide for ourselves tomorrow

TroyF
03-02-2009, 10:18 PM
I hope it's fixed, but again, I'm not worried. I'll put in hours into it regardless.

I'll only be able to play the PSP version for the next couple of weeks. (long plane flight to Hawaii, perfect for getting some time in with that version) I'll get a hold of the PS3 version when I get back in the middle of March.

BigPapi
03-02-2009, 11:15 PM

Can you provide a link to any of this? Not trying to be snarky- but I can't find a thread anywhere where Kolbe or Russell or anyone has commented on this officialy. Just curious if they have actually SAID they are looking at it....

Icy
03-03-2009, 03:24 AM
I hope it's fixed, but again, I'm not worried. I'll put in hours into it regardless.

I'll only be able to play the PSP version for the next couple of weeks. (long plane flight to Hawaii, perfect for getting some time in with that version) I'll get a hold of the PS3 version when I get back in the middle of March.

Exactly like me, i won't get a PS3 back from Sony until 2 or 3 weeks from now, but at least should get the PSP in a couple of days so i can play it. Anyway past year i played more MLB hours in the PSP than PS3 because it's portability.

Mizzou B-ball fan
03-03-2009, 07:27 AM

If you don't see the difference between the abilities of the EA and MLB 2K development staff and the MLB: The Show staff, then there's little need to continue in this discussion. The quality of product is vastly different. Any competent gaming journalist who says otherwise is being intellectually dishonest with themselves.

Logan
03-03-2009, 07:39 AM
So are you going to answer the people who asked for links to what you claim or...?

Mizzou B-ball fan
03-03-2009, 07:41 AM
Another post from Abner about the Franchise mode.......

The Nut and the Feisty Weasel: The Show VS. MLB 2K9: Franchise Battle -- FIGHT! (http://nutweasel.blogspot.com/2009/03/show-vs-mlb-2k9-franchise-battle-fight.html)

Eaglesfan27
03-03-2009, 08:13 AM
So are you going to answer the people who asked for links to what you claim or...?

No, because his claim came out of his ass.

Mizzou B-ball fan
03-03-2009, 08:18 AM
No, because his claim came out of his ass.

No, it didn't, but nothing I would say would convince you otherwise.

Eaglesfan27
03-03-2009, 08:20 AM

A link right now would. Of course, OS or Bill Abner would be reporting if the developers confirmed they were working on a patch, and neither has reported that, so I stand by my statement.

Mizzou B-ball fan
03-03-2009, 08:26 AM
A link right now would. Of course, OS or Bill Abner would be reporting if the developers confirmed they were working on a patch, and neither has reported that, so I stand by my statement.

You are correct that neither has specifically reported that.

TroyF
03-03-2009, 08:50 AM
If you don't see the difference between the abilities of the EA and MLB 2K development staff and the MLB: The Show staff, then there's little need to continue in this discussion. The quality of product is vastly different. Any competent gaming journalist who says otherwise is being intellectually dishonest with themselves.

Well, you know what? You might be right. Outside of the fact 2K has already patched the FA problem Todd talked about and I haven't seen one damned comment from the makers of The Show to tell me this is getting fixed. (despite your comments that had no basis in reality)

If you read my posts, you'll see that I'm a Show fan. I've purchased the PSP and PS3 versions three years running. (and the PS2 versions before that) I think it's the best sports franchise around. I think RTTS is one of the more amazing features I've ever seen in a video game. I think The Show is the single best baseball gaming experience I've ever had.

That said, I'm not going to give them a pass on crap like this. Albert retiring at 33 after an MVP season? Are you freaking kidding me? So 2K has Albert sitting as a FA after an MVP season and SCEA has him bleeping retiring. Good job testers. Incredible work there. Either both get a pass or neither gets a pass. Your comment about 2K was "I wonder what else they missed if they missed something as obvious as this" Your comment about The Show is "the team knows about this and they are working on resolving it"

So the past history of the games qualifies you to;

1) mke judgements about everything a 2K game you'll never play does.

and

2) Use information that doesn't exist (in other words, not tell the truth) to support how SCEA is working on a fix for the issue?

It's funny you throw a quote about journalism in your post. What you've done is neither ethical or a good story. You haven't used facts, you've used bias to lie for one company while shredding another for doing a similar thing. Not good form MMBF, not good form at all.

FWIW, I think SCEA will fix the issue. But that's me THINKING they'll fix the issue based off of history. That isn't me stating it's a factual occurance, because I've neither heard nor seen anything to the contrary by The Show team.

Mizzou B-ball fan
03-03-2009, 09:05 AM
Well, you know what? You might be right.

There you go. I can't argue with your post.

As far as telling the truth, I have done that. I'm not going to argue over this anymore because it's distracting from the thread. My mistake was putting information in this thread that I couldn't directly substantiate with a link, even if it is true. I apologize to everyone for doing that and I won't do that in the future.

RainMaker
03-03-2009, 09:23 AM
I will have this game in a few hours. Going to be taking off work early too.

Mizzou B-ball fan
03-03-2009, 09:37 AM
I will have this game in a few hours. Going to be taking off work early too.

Was shipping day yesterday?

Logan
03-03-2009, 09:40 AM
So out of curiosity, what made you post that claim in the first place? Do you have a developer on speed dial or did you just assume it? Seriously.

RainMaker
03-03-2009, 09:41 AM
Was shipping day yesterday?

For Amazon it was. I preordered with them and they said I'd have it today. I don't follow the release date stuff much, just know I got an e-mail yesterday that they had shipped it.

CraigSca
03-03-2009, 10:28 AM
Picked my copy up at Walmart earlier today but haven't thrown it in yet.

Btw, I do remember seeing tucked away in a thread somewhere at the OS forums one of the developers speaking about the first patch. He couldn't divulge what was in it, but that they were working on it. I think it was Russell_SCEA if you want to do a search for it.

Philliesfan980
03-03-2009, 10:28 AM
Any chance you guys think I can walk in a store and purchase it today? I didn't pre-order.

CraigSca
03-03-2009, 10:30 AM
Any chance you guys think I can walk in a store and purchase it today? I didn't pre-order.

Absolutely - the Walmart in my area had many copies. I got mine at Best Buy last year - just walked in and left.

spleen1015
03-03-2009, 10:37 AM
Absolutely - the Walmart in my area had many copies. I got mine at Best Buy last year - just walked in and left.

THIEF!

Mizzou B-ball fan
03-03-2009, 10:44 AM
Btw, I do remember seeing tucked away in a thread somewhere at the OS forums one of the developers speaking about the first patch. He couldn't divulge what was in it, but that they were working on it. I think it was Russell_SCEA if you want to do a search for it.

PastePadre already divulged that information. It's a patch for online play. Pretty sure the retirement issue will not be addressed by that patch since that online patch has been in the works for at least a week and they need to make sure it gets out before the end of the week.

Philliesfan980
03-03-2009, 11:07 AM
PastePadre already divulged that information. It's a patch for online play. Pretty sure the retirement issue will not be addressed by that patch since that online patch has been in the works for at least a week and they need to make sure it gets out before the end of the week.

Have they addressed a timeline for the retirement patch? I would imagine you wouldn't want to start a career until they've done so.

RPI-Fan
03-03-2009, 11:07 AM
So, how much does PSP run nowadays? If I got PSP + The Show, I assume it would be ~$250?

Is it crazy to consider making that purchase?

Mizzou B-ball fan
03-03-2009, 11:34 AM
So, how much does PSP run nowadays? If I got PSP + The Show, I assume it would be ~$250?

Is it crazy to consider making that purchase?

The PSP version is very good. Much like Icy, I usually purchase both versions just because the portability is a nice option.

If your going to get a PSP, the used market isn't a bad option. It's a very reliable system. Just make sure you get a good look at the screen to check for scratches before you buy it if you do so.

Slim PSP + The Show at retail is only $200 + tax.

Mizzou B-ball fan
03-03-2009, 11:37 AM
dola

Really liked to see this impression over at OS. Helps the immersion in the game universe:

Got the game and tried this out! Started a franchise and played the Yanks/O's game at 2 PM EST, game was 5-4 NYY in the 6th, I then fastforwarded. Final 6-4 NYY. So I then started the Tex/Clev game 3 PM EST (1 hour behind NYY/BAL game). Fastforwarded to the 3rd and sure enough out on the leftfield wall it showed the Yanks up 5-4 in the 6th!!!! Then I fastforwarded to the 6th to be certain, and BINGO 6-4 Yanks FINAL.

Big Fo
03-03-2009, 12:27 PM

Target had the game in stock this morning.

DeToxRox
03-03-2009, 12:45 PM
6-7 minute download to the HDD. Lame.

RainMaker
03-03-2009, 01:27 PM
Got it, looks good so far. Couple small things.

- Took like 10 minutes to initially load the game. I'm assuming this is only for the first load.

- Load times are pretty long throughout the game. I don't know if stuff gets cached later, but I played a little RTTS and it gets a bit annoying as a reliever.

- Wrigley looked real nice. Only gripe is that the scoreboard doesn't seem to post scores on it from the looks of it. Maybe in franchise mode it does.

- Handful of new minor league stadiums I believe. None looked real unique though. They also kept the old Shea and Yankee stadium to play in if you want.

Mizzou B-ball fan
03-03-2009, 01:29 PM
- Wrigley looked real nice. Only gripe is that the scoreboard doesn't seem to post scores on it from the looks of it. Maybe in franchise mode it does.

I'm assuming your talking about the out of town scores. If so, you are correct that they will only display in season or franchise mode. They won't have anything on them in exhibition mode.

RainMaker
03-03-2009, 01:36 PM
My next task is to figure out how to add music and such. There seem to be some guys that have built sound files that give unique music to almost every player.

BigPapi
03-03-2009, 02:30 PM

Wait...I am confused. When you said "They are aware of the retirement issue and are working on a solution."- On what basis did you make this statement? I understand you didn't read it somewhere....Was this a personal conversation with someone at SCEA? Can you elaborate at all?

SackAttack
03-03-2009, 02:52 PM
6-7 minute download to the HDD. Lame.

On the PS3, get used to it. The better-looking the game, the more likely it will be to need files installed if you don't want to suffer long load times every time you play.

If you compiled a top-ten list of PS3 games that you wanted to play, I'd bet that 7 of them, minimum, would have sizable initial installs.

TroyF
03-03-2009, 04:38 PM
On the PS3, get used to it. The better-looking the game, the more likely it will be to need files installed if you don't want to suffer long load times every time you play.

If you compiled a top-ten list of PS3 games that you wanted to play, I'd bet that 7 of them, minimum, would have sizable initial installs.

Easily.

Game on the PSP is solid so far. Load times a bit long in RTTS mode though. I'll probably be a starting pitching on the PSP and a LF on the PS3.

Philliesfan980
03-03-2009, 05:10 PM

You're right. The Walmart near me had plenty of copies as well.

Off to play! Hopefully the Manage Only mode will be decent as I can see myself logging a lot of time with that mode.

Radii
03-03-2009, 05:29 PM
Wait...I am confused. When you said "They are aware of the retirement issue and are working on a solution."- On what basis did you make this statement? I understand you didn't read it somewhere....Was this a personal conversation with someone at SCEA? Can you elaborate at all?

Welcome to the world of console gaming discussions with MBBF.

In other news, with a coupon to get a PS3 for $320 from slickdeals I went ahead and purchased one, it arrived today so I went down to Gamestop and grabbed a copy of the game. Woohoo!

jetpunk2000
03-03-2009, 05:34 PM
Minor nitpick and a question.

Nitpick:
Hit a HR with David Wright, and on the replay the scoreboard already had the HR graphic up before it was even hit. Also Citi Field out of town scoreboard doesn't seem to be there.

Question:
Has anyone fast-forwarded? If so, do the pitchers tire? The reason I ask is because it doesn't look like it adds pitches to the pitch count for the innings you FF when you go to the Pitcher Analysis screen. I tried to see if the stamina bar went down, but it was late in the game when I noticed and my starter came out that inning.

RainMaker
03-03-2009, 05:34 PM
More Thoughts:

- The announcing is unbelievable. They seem to have multiple tibbits on every player. They have little comments about all sorts of matchups, including interleague. For instance they mentioned during a Cubs-Yankees game how both had long histories with vastly different results. They mentioned how a catcher for the other team used to catch that pitcher years ago. As a closer in RTTS, they mentioned that I had blown a save earlier in the series. In a 15 inning game the announcer mumbles under his breath that they should just stay in town overnight because it's so late. I'm just amazed by how deep this is. Every possible situation seems to have a comment.

- The game does a great job at picking out the unique elements of each park. Whether it's statues, fan sections, or unique PA announcements about a train station or parking lot.

- Having a lot of trouble with baserunning. Not liking the new controls at all.

- They have an All-Star stadium as an option in exhibition mode so I'm assuming the All-Star game in franchise/season mode has the logos and goodies all over the field.

- RTTS doesn't factor in user stats enough. It feels primarily based on achieving goals and not on how well you perform.

- The check swing is virtually gone. I know some said it was too easy in previous versions, but it's almost impossible to do now.

- Crowds look amazing. They mix in fans from the visiting team and it seems like it's based on the popularity of that team. The Yankees had a lot of fans mixed in while the I only saw one Marlins fan on the road.

- Saw an ad for Ax Men at Yankee Stadium. Wondering how many more dynamic ads they run through the game. I always liked when games did that.

RainMaker
03-03-2009, 05:55 PM
One other thing worth noting, the baserunning controls in RTTS is one of the most poorly designed things I've ever seen in a sports game. Something that should be relatively simple is extremely tedious. It's camera relative so if a ball is hit somewhere and you take off, once the camera changes to a new angle you have to switch which way you are pushing on the controller.

EagleFan
03-03-2009, 07:23 PM
One other thing worth noting, the baserunning controls in RTTS is one of the most poorly designed things I've ever seen in a sports game. Something that should be relatively simple is extremely tedious. It's camera relative so if a ball is hit somewhere and you take off, once the camera changes to a new angle you have to switch which way you are pushing on the controller.

Seriously? Wasn't baseruning in RTTS something that people already complained about? Now it's even worse? That part kind of sucks.

Am very tempted about this one but don't want to give up on my careers from last years' so I will probably wait it out a bit.

spleen1015
03-03-2009, 07:43 PM
Yeah, so, I'm gonna stay out of this thread. I want to go buy the game, but I know I will only play it for a week before going back to WoW.

Must resist!

Philliesfan980
03-03-2009, 07:45 PM
I just got done "playing" my first Manage only game. Rays at Phillies (me)

I've owned the last few installments of this game, but never got into it because of time constraints, and let me be the first to say how beautiful this game looks. Stadiums, changes in lighting, ball physics, etc etc. It's really nice.

I ended up winning 11-5. The Phils got 14 hits, while the Rays got 9. Overall it was a close game. The Rays were actually up 4-1 in the top of the 5th when the Phils scored 10 unanswered runs against the self-destructing Rays bullpen. The biggest inning came in the 8th, when assisted by an Evan Longoria error, the Phillies put 5 on the board.

Carlos Pena and Pat Burrell each hit homeruns for the Rays. Werth, Howard, Ibanez, and Feliz went yard for the Phils. Each homerun seemed to be different. A player on the Rays hit a towering shot that looked like it was destined to go out, but instead hit off the top of the fence for a double.

I realize it's only one game, but I can see this being a great Manage only game for me. My only complaint is the length of time it takes to get through a game. It took me about 50 minutes to get through this game, when I was hoping it would only take me about 30. One of the nice things about this game is it's very life like, and with that realism goes the long windups for each pitcher. In manage only mode I'd like to speed things up a little.

Needless to say, barring any huge problems, I can see this quickly becoming my favorite baseball game of all time.

Mizzou B-ball fan
03-03-2009, 07:53 PM

FYI.......that's not how the controls are used, which probably is the reason you're having issues. Below is a quote from the developer on how to properly use the base running controls........

Yes the controls are camera relative

however

the controls will not automatically change as the camera changes.. so if you are pressing right and the camera shifts on you, the control will not update until you release your position so basically.. if you maintain your forward action, it will keep that even as the camera moves

So in other words, if you just keep pushing right, your player will advance even if the angle changes.

Big Fo
03-03-2009, 07:55 PM
I realize it's only one game, but I can see this being a great Manage only game for me. My only complaint is the length of time it takes to get through a game. It took me about 50 minutes to get through this game, when I was hoping it would only take me about 30. One of the nice things about this game is it's very life like, and with that realism goes the long windups for each pitcher. In manage only mode I'd like to speed things up a little.

Do you have fast mode turned on? It skips a lot of the help screens, stat overlays, and tosses back to the pitcher. It cuts down on the time quite a bit.

Philliesfan980
03-03-2009, 08:00 PM
Do you have fast mode turned on? It skips a lot of the help screens, stat overlays, and tosses back to the pitcher. It cuts down on the time quite a bit.

Yeah, fast mode was on, and you're right, I didn't get a lot of the extra stuff you mention.

The problem is (and it's not a huge one) that it just takes 2-3 seconds after you hit the "O" button to actually deliver the pitch. The pitching action is very deliberate in all phases. It's realistic, but I do wish it was a bit faster.

Edit - Also there were a lot of deep counts and a realistic amount of strikeouts, walks, and foul balls which of course lead to increased game times.

RainMaker
03-03-2009, 08:14 PM
FYI.......that's not how the controls are used, which probably is the reason you're having issues. Below is a quote from the developer on how to properly use the base running controls........

So in other words, if you just keep pushing right, your player will advance even if the angle changes.

That's fine if you are sure on where you're going and making a beeline for the base. But if you want to round the base and head back, or change your mind halfway to the bag, you are going to pull back on the joystick. Once you do that, the bases are comletely different and based on the current camera view. Sometimes it switches right before you hit the joystick and sends you back to the bag when you want to be going to the next one. It's just completely unnecessary and a pain in the ass. Baserunning should be really simple and they found a way to make it difficult.

RainMaker
03-03-2009, 08:19 PM
Seriously? Wasn't baseruning in RTTS something that people already complained about? Now it's even worse? That part kind of sucks.

Am very tempted about this one but don't want to give up on my careers from last years' so I will probably wait it out a bit.

In last years you could use one touch baserunning. with the bumbers, but this year I haven't found a way to do that.

spleen1015
03-03-2009, 08:32 PM
I can't think of any reason why a baserunning scheme of buttons would deviate from down=home, right=1st, up=2nd, and left=3rd. Really, it makes no sense to me to make it any other way, regardless of camera angle.

RainMaker
03-03-2009, 08:37 PM
I can't think of any reason why a baserunning scheme of buttons would deviate from down=home, right=1st, up=2nd, and left=3rd. Really, it makes no sense to me to make it any other way, regardless of camera angle.

In RTTS, it doesn't even need to be that complicated. Just go and go back.

Calis
03-03-2009, 09:08 PM
Was hoping to see some improved load times in RTTS this year, but after playing a while it's obvious that didn't happen. I'm usually pretty patient with loading, but I do get a bit frustrated with it. There's a lot going on, but it's a mode that is all about quickly getting into the action and moving along and you spend 80% of watching loading screens.

It's a good mode for catching up on podcasts and the like though.

I do really like the new batting practice, at least for the very beginning. It's nice to get some feedback on your timing and swing. I'm sure I'll skip it as I get further along.

Haven't played enough to say much else, but it seems pretty solid.

RainMaker
03-03-2009, 10:37 PM
Sorry for rambling on with impressions but this blew me away.

Cubs post-game. PA announcer is giving the run down on the score and pitchers of record. He then announcers that fans can board the Red Line at Addison and some other info on the trains. That is the actual stop and actual line running to Wrigley. He also mentioned at some point during the game that fans could sign up for Vineline at Cubs.com. Vineline is their official magazine and has been for decades (it's well known to Cubs fans but probably no one else).

Just two examples of amazing detail. This is my first day playing around too. Can't imagine the hidden gems inside this one.

Z²+
03-04-2009, 02:38 AM
It's the little things that make me smile....

"Old Charlie Sawyer has been calling balls and strikes for years. I guess if he says it was a ball, who I am to argue?"

Big Fo
03-04-2009, 07:41 AM
I played this game until my eyes bled yesterday. It's met expectations so far but I need to get better at this. I'm probably 1-6 in playing out games in my franchise, without my screwups we'd be running away with the division. I lost a heartbreaker in the sixteenth inning and there was some cool commentary for that specific situation (paraphrasing): "It's past 1am here on the east coast but not too many fans have left yet," "The reliever is going to hit here, sometimes you have no other option when a game goes this many innings."

CraigSca
03-04-2009, 09:00 AM
Played 4 games last night and stayed up until 1:30am (and paying for it now). I lost all four, but I was ahead in two of them. Playing as the Orioles, I got shelled in my first game against the Red Sox, 10-2 (Chris Waters was annihilated). I then lost to the Reds, 5-4 in 11 innings and to the Mets, 2-1 (KRod notched the save and just blew me away in the 9th). Finally, in my last game I lost to the Yankees, 9-5 (gave up 7 runs in the 7th - argh!).

What's cool is I pitched Radhames Liz against the Reds and the Yankees. Against the Reds he lasted about 6 innings, giving up only 4 hits and 2 runs. He wasn't lights-out, but I was able to manage him and he did well (only to see the bullpen blow it for him). Against the Yankees, he was all over the place and only lasted 4+ innings, walking 4. It was really cool to see that I was generally unable to spot my pitches with him and the Yankees lineup just wore him out (he pitched well, just couldn't last long).

I'm seeing doubles, triples, homeruns, walks, etc. It sounds like there are issues with RTTS (you guys mentioned baserunning), but I'm fortunate in that I only like playing out the games. Personally, this is by far the best sports game I've ever played.

Mizzou B-ball fan
03-04-2009, 09:04 AM
FYI for those interested in customizing the sound and music. The Sound Packs thread over at OS was just updated yesterday with full instructions and a ton of music and sound files to choose from.

Custom Sound PACKS - Operation Sports Forums (http://www.osatwork.com/forums/showthread.php?t=295341)

Mizzou B-ball fan
03-05-2009, 07:25 AM
PastaPadre impressions of online play. In summary, lag is prevelant. I've honestly never played online through the first two iterations on the PS3 and don't plan to do so this year either, but I know that some want to use the online play and this will probably be pretty disappointing for those people.

MLB 09 The Show Online Impressions | pastapadre.com (http://www.pastapadre.com/6835/mlb-09-the-show-online-impressions)

RPI-Fan
03-05-2009, 08:09 AM
PastaPadre impressions of online play. In summary, lag is prevelant. I've honestly never played online through the first two iterations on the PS3 and don't plan to do so this year either, but I know that some want to use the online play and this will probably be pretty disappointing for those people.

MLB 09 The Show Online Impressions | pastapadre.com (http://www.pastapadre.com/6835/mlb-09-the-show-online-impressions)

Ironically, your typical "the developers are working on the patch for this and will be out ASAP" line would actually be applicable and substantiated here.

Mizzou B-ball fan
03-05-2009, 08:16 AM
Ironically, your typical "the developers are working on the patch for this and will be out ASAP" line would actually be applicable and substantiated here.

While I don't play online, I don't think that people should hold out hope for a miracle patch in regards to online play. They patched online last year and, while it did improve somewhat, most still thought it was average at best. I'm sure they'll give it a boost with the online patch due soon, but honestly, the vast majority of people don't purchase this game for online play.

Feel free to be snarky with the patch statement. I stand behind what I've said in this thread.

RainMaker
03-05-2009, 11:03 AM
I still don't get why online is so difficult. They have games where you can play 16 on 16 lag free. Why are companies having issues with 1-on-1? This should have been stamped out 5 years ago.

DeToxRox
03-05-2009, 11:27 AM
I really don't like PS3 online. I hardly ever use it for online. That is one place Xbox has a huge advantage.

DeToxRox
03-05-2009, 11:29 AM
I was messing around with franchise mode before rosters are completed and this was awesome:

I am Detroit and I had traded Carlos Guillen to Tampa Bay for some bullpen help. Couple weeks later we're playing Tampa and the announcers were discussing how Guillen was just traded. Then I beaned him and they started wondering if Guillen had pissed some people off on my team and that was why he was dealt.

So bad ass.

MikeVic
03-05-2009, 11:38 AM
I was messing around with franchise mode before rosters are completed and this was awesome:

I am Detroit and I had traded Carlos Guillen to Tampa Bay for some bullpen help. Couple weeks later we're playing Tampa and the announcers were discussing how Guillen was just traded. Then I beaned him and they started wondering if Guillen had pissed some people off on my team and that was why he was dealt.

So bad ass.

Hahahaha! I don't have money for another game but you guys are making it hard to resist!

RainMaker
03-05-2009, 11:40 AM

So bad ass.

When Giambi played a game in New York, the crowd gave him an ovation when he came to the plate and he tipped his cap. The announcers also mentioned welcoming him back.

Big Fo
03-05-2009, 12:04 PM
Manny (who I signed from the FA pool along with Abreu and Sheets) was loudly booed when my Braves were up in Boston.

spleen1015
03-05-2009, 01:45 PM
I just encountered 2 different situations that I think are bugs.

Whenever there is a groundball hit and there is a throw to first, the 1B stops running as soon as the fielder starts to throw the ball. That isn't realistic IMO. I've played 1B in RL. I have been moving to the bag while the throw is on the way before.

Anyway, I was playing RTTS as a 1B. A really fast groundball was hit to 2B. I didn't have enough time to get to the bag before the 2B started to throw. So, because of the mechanic above, I stopped on my way to the bag. As the throw was coming towards me, my guy made the motion like he was catching the ball and as he was doing that, he was sliding to the bag, more like floating to the bag.

The second issue I saw was at the end of the same game. I came up with the baseloaded, 2 outs, down by 2 in the bottom of the 9th. I struck out swinging and the catcher didn't catch the ball.. It bounced out in front of the plate. So, I'm out and the game ends. On the recap screen, I don't see any stats for my AB in the 9th. I only get credit for 4 AB instead of 5 and I don't get credited with striking out.

duff88
03-05-2009, 10:18 PM
Just got the game. It's a lot of fun, but I sure suck quite a bit more than I expected after playing the demo.

I made a second baseman, anyone can tell me how to make the tag when recieving the ball from the catcher on a stolen base? All my guy do is keep up straight and catch the ball without trying to make the out.

PadresFan104
03-06-2009, 12:43 AM
I made a second baseman, anyone can tell me how to make the tag when recieving the ball from the catcher on a stolen base? All my guy do is keep up straight and catch the ball without trying to make the out.

That's weird. I'm playing 2B in RTTS as well and I've never had this problem. My guy always applies the tag automatically... I guess just make sure you are in position when you catch the ball. I'm usually right in front of the bag...

spleen1015
03-06-2009, 05:53 AM
One problem I am having is getting picked off first base. They have tried to pick me off 4 times and got me every time.

Karlifornia
03-06-2009, 06:03 AM
One problem I am having is getting picked off first base. They have tried to pick me off 4 times and got me every time.

So, you gave into temptation and bought the game?

spleen1015
03-06-2009, 06:09 AM
So, you gave into temptation and bought the game?

Yeah... I am having fun with RTTS right now.

Ajaxab
03-06-2009, 06:39 AM
Just got the game. It's a lot of fun, but I sure suck quite a bit more than I expected after playing the demo.

I've had trouble with this as well, but using the right stick to swipe seems to work. But I haven't tagged a base stealer out yet either. Maybe the battery sucks at preventing steals.

Mizzou B-ball fan
03-06-2009, 08:55 AM
Bill Abner has his full review up. It's pretty rare that he gives a game this good of a review. Most believe he's too critical in his reviews.

GameShark | Reviews | MLB 09: The Show Review (http://www.gameshark.com/reviews/3211/MLB-09-The-Show-Review.htm)

I bought the game last night, but it's still in the Best Buy bag. My wife decided we'd have 'quality time' last night. In other words, no gaming. :(

Logan
03-06-2009, 10:43 AM
So at what point in a relationship does "quality time" warrant a sad face? Cause I need to know in order to be prepared.

/end tangent

:)

MizzouRah
03-06-2009, 12:01 PM
I thought it was cool for Ian Cummings of EA to post over in The Show thread over at OS that he loves the game and wants his Madden programmers to take notes of what a great sports game should be.

Mizzou B-ball fan
03-06-2009, 12:48 PM
So at what point in a relationship does "quality time" warrant a sad face? Cause I need to know in order to be prepared.

/end tangent

:)

Well.......

First half of 'quality time' = Chick flick at the movie theater = :(

Second half of 'quality time' after movie when we got home = :D

Mizzou B-ball fan
03-06-2009, 01:55 PM
You know your video game is a virtual version of crack when.........

Talked with a friend who played the game last night for the first time. He started a RTTS career around 8:00 PM and planned to go to bed around 10:30 PM. He ended up playing 'one more game' until 1:00 AM.

I can't wait to get home tonight and fire this baby up.

Logan
03-06-2009, 02:16 PM
Any sliders yet?

spleen1015
03-06-2009, 02:19 PM
Any sliders yet?

There are some on the OS boards.

muns
03-06-2009, 02:37 PM
You know your video game is a virtual version of crack when.........

Talked with a friend who played the game last night for the first time. He started a RTTS career around 8:00 PM and planned to go to bed around 10:30 PM. He ended up playing 'one more game' until 1:00 AM.

I can't wait to get home tonight and fire this baby up.

That is gonna make me run out and get it tonight... Thanks Mizzou :banghead:

Mizzou B-ball fan
03-06-2009, 02:39 PM
That is gonna make me run out and get it tonight... Thanks Mizzou :banghead:

May you 'suffer' until 1:00 AM playing 'one more game'. :D

RainMaker
03-06-2009, 04:04 PM
I thought it was cool for Ian Cummings of EA to post over in The Show thread over at OS that he loves the game and wants his Madden programmers to take notes of what a great sports game should be.

It has to be embarasssing to him to see The Show.

PadresFan104
03-06-2009, 04:22 PM
Well.......

First half of 'quality time' = Chick flick at the movie theater = :(

Second half of 'quality time' after movie when we got home = :D

Hmm, time relative "halves" there Mizzou? If so, nicely done! :eek:

As a 40 year old with 4 kids, the quality time after the movie would equate to a two-minute warning, vs. a whole half. :p

MizzouRah
03-06-2009, 04:50 PM
It has to be embarasssing to him to see The Show.

.. and if he ever visits EA Canada.. :D

rowech
03-06-2009, 06:11 PM
Alright...anybody know of where I can get a great deal on a PS3 or a good package price? Which model should I get?

CraigSca
03-07-2009, 07:16 AM
Check the OS boards - some guy just got one for $279. I would also check Dell and Sony themselves - sometimes Sony has a $100 off purchase if you apply for their credit card.

Model? Really, up to you - I bought the 40 gig model last year for the Show. Since then I bought NHL09, LittleBigPlanet and the Show 09. Really, unless you're downloading movies and songs all the time (something I really don't care about), I really don't see the need to get the 80 gig model.

I hate to say this, as I was a really huge fan of the 360 when I initially bought it a few years ago but...if there's a game available on both models that I really want - and they're comparable in performance (NHL 09), I'd much rather get it for the PS3. I've had one RROD since I've had the 360, and frankly if the Show were available for the 360, I'd be packing it in ice while I played out of fear that I'd get it again. The PS3 is over-priced, but at least I don't have to remind the kids to turn on the 10" fan I have in front of our gaming consoles so the 360 doesn't overheat.

Mizzou B-ball fan
03-07-2009, 08:27 AM
I FINALLY got the chance to put in some time on the game. Granted, it was only about an hour. I started a RTTS career with a starting pitcher. Through 3 spring training starts, my 18 year old prospect is 0-3 with a 9.28 ERA and a WHIP of 2.23. I have one K and two walks.

Translation: I need to start throwing some waste pitches. I think my strike percentage is around 75-80%, which is honestly WAY too high. I've looked around a bit and noticed that players will start sitting on your pitches if you throw too many strikes. Everything I've seen with my pitcher indicates exactly that. :)

For those that don't know, you start with far less points if you begin at 18 than if you jumped in at 21 or 22. You have to develop your younger player quite a bit more. I can't tell you how intimidating the feeling is to be controlling an 18 year old greenhorn pitcher and see an all-star like Josh Hamilton step into the box. I faced him twice in my very first game. One ended up in the gap and the other one landed 425 feet away from home plate.

JetsIn06
03-07-2009, 08:27 AM
Just bought a refurbished PS3 for $279.

I can't wait to get this game.

Mizzou B-ball fan
03-07-2009, 08:34 AM
Check the OS boards - some guy just got one for $279. I would also check Dell and Sony themselves - sometimes Sony has a $100 off purchase if you apply for their credit card.

The current credit on a PS3 with the Sony Style credit card is $150. So you can pick up a $400 PS3 for roughly $250.

Mizzou B-ball fan
03-07-2009, 08:38 AM
Hmm, time relative "halves" there Mizzou? If so, nicely done! :eek:

As a 40 year old with 4 kids, the quality time after the movie would equate to a two-minute warning, vs. a whole half. :p

I typed a long response containing things I shouldn't be saying on a message board about my sex life. I then deleted that response and replaced it with this one after thinking better of it. :D

BigPapi
03-07-2009, 08:56 AM
The current credit on a PS3 with the Sony Style credit card is $150. So you can pick up a $400 PS3 for roughly $250.

Actually, their current deal is $100 of with the initial purchase, then another $100 after the first $1500 in purchases- and another $100 after the second $1500- for a total of $300 off. A great deal if you are using a credit card for most of your daily purchases anyway, like us....A PS3 for $100? Just bought mine last week- the offer is through Chase:

Sony Gateway (http://www.sonyrewards.com/en/gateway/?offerlink=srnowps3)

Mizzou B-ball fan
03-07-2009, 09:10 AM
Actually, their current deal is $100 of with the initial purchase, then another $100 after the first $1500 in purchases- and another $100 after the second $1500- for a total of $300 off. A great deal if you are using a credit card for most of your daily purchases anyway, like us....A PS3 for $100? Just bought mine last week- the offer is through Chase:

Sony Gateway (http://www.sonyrewards.com/en/gateway/?offerlink=srnowps3)

Ah, that must have switched at the start of the month or perhaps that's an offer for the 'Playstation' card. One of my friends got a PS3 for $250 three weeks ago, so I know it hasn't been gone too long.

Mizzou B-ball fan
03-07-2009, 09:15 AM
dola

Just noticed that the Dell Home deal is currently running as well. 20% off. 80 GB PS3 is currently $319. Coupon code is Z0WPL1J0CC3W47.

MizzouRah
03-07-2009, 10:18 AM
The one thing holding me back from renting it and borrowing my neighbor's ps3 is I've read the CPU team lineups are a mess.. are you guys seeing that?

Things like Big Papi batting leadoff?

JetsIn06
03-07-2009, 12:12 PM
Just bought it...but have to wait for my PS3 to get here.

This is gonna suck.

billethius
03-07-2009, 12:33 PM
dola

Just noticed that the Dell Home deal is currently running as well. 20% off. 80 GB PS3 is currently $319. Coupon code is Z0WPL1J0CC3W47.

I've been wanting to make the jump to blu-ray, and given how good The Show looks, now seems like a good time to do so. The Dell deal is pretty good, and since I don't really want another credit card, I think it's the one I'll be taking advantage of.

RainMaker
03-07-2009, 12:33 PM
I FINALLY got the chance to put in some time on the game. Granted, it was only about an hour. I started a RTTS career with a starting pitcher. Through 3 spring training starts, my 18 year old prospect is 0-3 with a 9.28 ERA and a WHIP of 2.23. I have one K and two walks.

Translation: I need to start throwing some waste pitches. I think my strike percentage is around 75-80%, which is honestly WAY too high. I've looked around a bit and noticed that players will start sitting on your pitches if you throw too many strikes. Everything I've seen with my pitcher indicates exactly that. :)

For those that don't know, you start with far less points if you begin at 18 than if you jumped in at 21 or 22. You have to develop your younger player quite a bit more. I can't tell you how intimidating the feeling is to be controlling an 18 year old greenhorn pitcher and see an all-star like Josh Hamilton step into the box. I faced him twice in my very first game. One ended up in the gap and the other one landed 425 feet away from home plate.

Crap, I didn't know that. I created a reliever at 18 years old and was wondering why I was so poorly rated.

CraigSca
03-07-2009, 07:22 PM
The one thing holding me back from renting it and borrowing my neighbor's ps3 is I've read the CPU team lineups are a mess.. are you guys seeing that?

Things like Big Papi batting leadoff?

I heard this only happens when you create or edit your own players. I admit I haven't really looked into it too much as I don't think I'll be starting my season replay until rosters are finalized.

Calis
03-07-2009, 07:30 PM
Wasn't that the same exact issue they had last year? I remember seeing some pretty funky lineups in last year's game, and that was from using a custom roster. It was frustrating.

Hate to see bugs like that pop up in consecutive years.

Mizzou B-ball fan
03-07-2009, 11:00 PM
Crap, I didn't know that. I created a reliever at 18 years old and was wondering why I was so poorly rated.

Yeah, if you want to get a jump on your career, create a 21-23 year old player. He'll have better stats from the start.

RainMaker
03-08-2009, 01:40 AM
Lineups are impossible to replicate. Doesn't matter how much effort goes into it, it'll never mirror real life. Take the Cubs for instance and try and program a system where you'd have Alfonso Soriano as your leadoff guy. It just doesn't work.

MizzouRah
03-08-2009, 11:47 AM
Lineups are impossible to replicate. Doesn't matter how much effort goes into it, it'll never mirror real life. Take the Cubs for instance and try and program a system where you'd have Alfonso Soriano as your leadoff guy. It just doesn't work.

That's funny, I just loaded up my Baseball Mogul universe and the Cubs have Soriano leading off.

I'm not saying it has to be perfect, but the thread I've been reading over at OS concerning lineups is a bit crazy.

CleBrownsfan
03-08-2009, 07:02 PM
So was thinking about getting a PS3 mostly for the Blue-Ray and the Show. The problem I have with baseball games is - I never walk. I guess I can't see the pitches or they come in to fast - it's more a complete guessing game. Anybody else have this problem - or is it just me? ;)

Mizzou B-ball fan
03-08-2009, 07:10 PM
So was thinking about getting a PS3 mostly for the Blue-Ray and the Show. The problem I have with baseball games is - I never walk. I guess I can't see the pitches or they come in to fast - it's more a complete guessing game. Anybody else have this problem - or is it just me? ;)

I use the guess feature to assist in that. I can generally see if a pitch is high, inside or outside. So, I guess 'low' on every pitch. When it's a low pitch, I can sit on it and smash it. When it's not a low pitch, I know to look in the top-half of the strike zone. I was averaging 50-60 walks a season in RTTS in last year's version.

Big Fo
03-08-2009, 07:20 PM

If you have trouble picking up pitches you can use a slider to change how fast they come in with no effect on how you pitch to the AI. Strike/ball frequency can also be adjusted.

As MBBF said the guess pitch stuff can help you be more selective as well.

spleen1015
03-08-2009, 07:58 PM
I suck at judging balls and strikes too.

Big Fo
03-08-2009, 08:22 PM
The hardest part for me is judging whether it's low in the zone or just going to miss. Left/right/high I have less trouble with. Low breaking pitches especially cause some awful swings.

DeToxRox
03-08-2009, 08:24 PM
I'm finally get the hang of it .. My RTTS player is in AA and just finally got the fulltime 1B gig in June. My #s so far:

11 HR
44 RBI
21 2B
21 BB - 31 K

He is basically a useless defensive player, and all my training has gone into contact and power.

Deattribution
03-08-2009, 09:28 PM

I had this problem starting off, I went over 400 at bats without a single walk. In fact I think I was only up in the count once, but I slowly started getting the hang of it after a while.

Ajaxab
03-08-2009, 10:46 PM

I'm having little league flashbacks with my RTTS player. I figure I strikeout once every 5 abs and have drawn only 1 walk in about 120 plate appearances. The pitchers rarely seem to throw a first pitch ball so I find myself on the defensive nearly every trip to the plate.

I started by creating an 18 year old and may try again with a 20-21 year old given the starting ratings differences.

Deattribution
03-08-2009, 11:36 PM
I'm having little league flashbacks with my RTTS player. I figure I strikeout once every 5 abs and have drawn only 1 walk in about 120 plate appearances. The pitchers rarely seem to throw a first pitch ball so I find myself on the defensive nearly every trip to the plate.

I started by creating an 18 year old and may try again with a 20-21 year old given the starting ratings differences.

From what I can tell, it seems adaptive. It also has to do with different pitchers. I use to get quite a few balls right down the middle, and since I always swung at the first pitch and managed to establish myself a little doing that, I almost always get a low ball or an outside/inside ball on the first pitch or two.

Mizzou B-ball fan
03-09-2009, 07:41 AM
The hardest part for me is judging whether it's low in the zone or just going to miss. Left/right/high I have less trouble with. Low breaking pitches especially cause some awful swings.

Which is exactly the reason why I mentioned it's a good tactic to always guess low and guess the pitch you have trouble with. If you do that, you'll always get a lock-on target when the pitcher throws a low pitch and you'll know every time whether it's in the zone or not. It's a big key to drawing walks as pitchers like to throw that low pitch to draw a strikeout.

From what I can tell, it seems adaptive. It also has to do with different pitchers. I use to get quite a few balls right down the middle, and since I always swung at the first pitch and managed to establish myself a little doing that, I almost always get a low ball or an outside/inside ball on the first pitch or two.

It is adaptive. If you're always taking on the first pitch, the CPU AI is going to to throw a lot of first ball strikes to get ahead in the count.

Mizzou B-ball fan
03-09-2009, 07:46 AM
Final impressions from PastaPadre..........

The Wrap-Up: MLB 09 The Show | pastapadre.com (http://www.pastapadre.com/6849/the-wrap-up-mlb-09-the-show)

spleen1015
03-09-2009, 11:24 AM
I just got hit with a 16MB update for this.

Is there somewhere I can find out what this update fixes?

DanGarion
03-09-2009, 12:07 PM
So i bought a PS3 yesterday and The SHOW! Seems like a pretty game so far!

CleBrownsfan
03-09-2009, 12:23 PM
So i bought a PS3 yesterday and The SHOW! Seems like a pretty game so far!

grrrr -I'm really thinking about taking my poker winnings I won recently and buying a PS3 ;) I want to but $500 additional in savings in nice to have too. What to do?!?! ;)

DanGarion
03-09-2009, 12:26 PM
grrrr -I'm really thinking about taking my poker winnings I won recently and buying a PS3 ;) I want to but $500 additional in savings in nice to have too. What to do?!?! ;)

Well I got a good deal, technically... We got a check from our former landlord for $500+ back from our deposit. Plus my wife used to work at Target (10%) discount... AND on top of that I had another 10% off reward card for Target, so I splurged and got a 80GB, which doesn't really matter since I'm going to replace the drive with a 400GB tonight!

DanGarion
03-09-2009, 12:27 PM
Er scratch the HD upgrade for today, thought I could use a drive I had sitting around but need to get a notebook drive.

DanGarion
03-09-2009, 12:40 PM

I'm just like you, I hate to walk, I'm all about HIT HIT HIT, SWING SWING SWING!

DanGarion
03-09-2009, 12:43 PM
FYI, the second game of my RTTS career, our second spring training game...

I'm playing for the Pirates and we are playing the Red Sox, the game goes 23 innings... Game ends at 2-1 and the announcer says the game only lasted 3:57?!?!?!? Paplebon ended up pitching 10 innings to finish the game...

Mizzou B-ball fan
03-09-2009, 12:49 PM
I just got hit with a 16MB update for this.

Is there somewhere I can find out what this update fixes?

Haven't seen an official notice of what's in it, but PastaPadre mentioned earlier in the week that an online stability patch would be delivered at the end of last week. This is probably that patch a couple of days late.

Mizzou B-ball fan
03-09-2009, 12:53 PM
My 18 year old starting pitcher was sent to AA after posting an 8.36 ERA and a 1-4 record in 5 spring training starts (WHIP was around 1.8). My main problem was the long ball. The MLB hitters were pouncing on any errant pitches that got away from me.

I signed a $65K contract with the White Sox (same team that drafted me). I've had good success early on. Right now, I'm a relief pitcher. I've had 3 appearances and only given up one run in 2 1/3 innings. I've also already met 3 of my 4 training goals with a week to go. Hopefully I get a couple more appearance to allow me to meet that final goal.

Mizzou B-ball fan
03-09-2009, 12:59 PM
Pretty funny rant by Bill Harris. I'm doing a pitching RTTS career and have noticed the same thing. Does the ball also display this way when batting?

Dubious Quality: MLB 09: The Show--The Red Ring Of Arggghhh (http://dubiousquality.blogspot.com/2009/03/mlb-09-show-red-ring-of-arggghhh.html)

MLB 09: The Show--The Red Ring Of Arggghhh

There are times when I play a great game and one little thing drives me crazy.

Crazy!

I started a Road To The Show career in MLB 09: The Show on Tuesday. Last year, there was a slowly roating blue circle to designate your player. Fine in most games, but totally unnecessary in Road To The Show mode, because you're only controlling one player.

As an example, I'm a pitcher. I don't need a circle to find my player--he's the one on the mound.

The reason this bothered me so much is that otherwise, The Show looked just like real baseball. There were no other cues that it was a video game.

This year, I was very hopeful that we'd be given the option to turn that circle off. Well, no, but that's not the problem. No, the problem is that they've ADDED this flashing red circle around a batted ball (when you're playing as a pitcher in RTTS mode, at least).

It's the old Fox puck enhancement (which was a colossal failure), essentially, but it's in my favorite sports video game. Damn it!

So again, I have to ask the question: why make a game that looks 99% like the real thing, then add intrusive elements that can't be turned off? How can people who are so incredibly good at what they do overlook this?

AgustusM
03-09-2009, 01:01 PM
I don't think EA does it because doing it for the NFL hasn't made them any money. They have lost too much there.

I hope this is accurate and kills all the exclusive deals - the exclusive deals have killed completion and ruined the sports sim. Just look at 2005 and the promising NFl 2k5 and MVP 05 games - then the "wrong" company got exclusive on both sides and we end up with years of games that don't measure up.

DeToxRox
03-09-2009, 03:00 PM
My guy was ejected from back to back games. First he got booted arguing a call at first, then he got booted because he was beaned and charged the mound. Apparently there had been problems earlier in the game with guys being hit and my guy exploded.

His quick temper makes me proud.

RainMaker
03-09-2009, 04:41 PM
My guy was ejected from back to back games. First he got booted arguing a call at first, then he got booted because he was beaned and charged the mound. Apparently there had been problems earlier in the game with guys being hit and my guy exploded.

His quick temper makes me proud.

Is there a way you can make your guy argue? There have been some times I've wanted to just erupt.

RainMaker
03-09-2009, 04:45 PM
My 18 year old starting pitcher was sent to AA after posting an 8.36 ERA and a 1-4 record in 5 spring training starts (WHIP was around 1.8). My main problem was the long ball. The MLB hitters were pouncing on any errant pitches that got away from me.

I signed a $65K contract with the White Sox (same team that drafted me). I've had good success early on. Right now, I'm a relief pitcher. I've had 3 appearances and only given up one run in 2 1/3 innings. I've also already met 3 of my 4 training goals with a week to go. Hopefully I get a couple more appearance to allow me to meet that final goal.

I made a closer and had a great start to my career. Had a solid spring training and strong first year that saw me promoted to closer in AA by the end. Started the 2nd year as a setup man for some reason in AA and earned my way to AAA as a setup man and then eventual closer.

Then year 3 comes and I literally can't get anyone out. I get regularly shelled although did stay in AAA all year as a setup guy. After the year I got sent down to AA.

Not sure if anyone has tried RTTS as a closer, but it seems real hard to improve your player. How many average training points a week do you guys get as a position player or starter? I spend most on the achievements which usually are in skills I don't care about (fielding). Wondering if it's best to ignore the achievements and focus all my training points on my pitches. I'm just having trouble making him better despite my first 2 years being real solid.

DanGarion
03-09-2009, 04:45 PM
No one is surprised about my 23 inning spring training game...?

RainMaker
03-09-2009, 04:48 PM
No one is surprised about my 23 inning spring training game...?
I've seen some long games but not that long. The closer having to pitch a ton of innings is one aspect in how bad their bullpen management AI is. As a closer in RTTS, I got stuck pitching 8 innings in a 16 inning game.

Mizzou B-ball fan
03-10-2009, 07:40 AM
My 18 year old starting pitcher really hit his stride. Two months into the season, he is now the #5 starter in AA. ERA is now 2.02 after rebounding from a rough first month. The training points are really pouring in after three straight quality starts, including an 8 inning, 5 hit, 1 run start. Record is 2-2, but that speaks more to my team's weak offense.

Mizzou B-ball fan
03-10-2009, 07:42 AM
Not sure if anyone has tried RTTS as a closer, but it seems real hard to improve your player. How many average training points a week do you guys get as a position player or starter? I spend most on the achievements which usually are in skills I don't care about (fielding). Wondering if it's best to ignore the achievements and focus all my training points on my pitches. I'm just having trouble making him better despite my first 2 years being real solid.

You have to balance development with achievements. I usually look to see how easy some of the achievements are. If they're not too tough to improve, I'll dedicate some points to them. But your main focus has to be on developing your pitches, velocity, and control.