PDA

View Full Version : Brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

tarcone
01-14-2009, 09:17 PM
Its going to be 1 degree tonight with wing chill of -15. It hasnt been this cold in the st louis area in many years. I looked up my old home town and the high tomorrow is going to be -4. Yes negative 4.
Lots of schools are closing here.

MizzouRah
01-14-2009, 09:50 PM
I'm showing 9 degrees here in Troy, Missouri. Brrrrr is right!!!

SackAttack
01-14-2009, 09:54 PM
-20 windchill right now, bitches.

My guess is we'll probably see -35 or so when the night really settles in.

Groundhog
01-14-2009, 09:58 PM
100°F here in Sydney, Australia. Just sayin'. ;)

PurdueBrad
01-14-2009, 09:58 PM
We've already called off school for tomorrow (second day of finals) and I wouldn't be surprised to see Friday go too.

mauchow
01-14-2009, 10:00 PM
-19 is in the forecast here for tomorrow.... and that's without the wind chill. -40+ is supposed to be the windchill. Ouch.

Wolfpack
01-14-2009, 10:01 PM
It's been something of an adjustment of scale for me moving back here after living in Michigan for a while. We're due a brief snap of cold starting tomorrow night into Friday and it's making some pretty big noise on the local news. Temps falling into the teens and then a high of (horrors!) 27 on Friday and possibly falling to around 10 or so Saturday morning or something like that. I've got a co-worker who's already complaining about how cold it is and will be. Gimme a couple of weeks of that with a thick crust of icy snow on the ground and we'll consider it impressive, shall we?

(In the same breath, I can also ridicule Michiganders' sensitivity to heat because they'll complain bitterly if temperatures even remotely come close to 90 degrees during the summer....)

MikeVic
01-14-2009, 10:04 PM
omg don't make me post our temperature today, and then the crazy range we're getting by Monday.

Lorena
01-14-2009, 11:54 PM
omg don't make me post our temperature today, and then the crazy range we're getting by Monday.

Isn't it like -50F with windchill factored in?

MylesKnight
01-15-2009, 12:07 AM
Why do so many folks choose to live in places way up north where it can get so ridiculously cold? I know lots of folks love the change of seasons and all that, but high's in the '0's, if now lower? Wind chills in the -20's and beyond? You've got to be kidding me.

When you take weather into account, how is it that over the course of time in this country cities like NYC, Boston, Philadelphia, Pittsburgh, Cleveland, Chicago, Detroit, Cleveland, Minneapolis, etc., were able to keep and expand their populations? Great places to visit don't get me wrong, but living there when you have to deal with this kind of crap.

SackAttack
01-15-2009, 12:15 AM
When you take weather into account, how is it that over the course of time in this country cities like NYC, Boston, Philadelphia, Pittsburgh, Cleveland, Chicago, Detroit, Cleveland, Minneapolis, etc., were able to keep and expand their populations? Great places to visit don't get me wrong, but living there when you have to deal with this kind of crap.

inertia, social class, and opportunity.

Inertia: an object at rest tends to stay at rest. Some folk just get comfortable with what they grew up with, what they know, and stay there.

Social class: those who are poor tend to reproduce at greater rates than those who aren't. Bottom line is, sex is the most basic form of entertainment there is, and its economic costs are virtually all long-term, not immediate.

Opportunity: In a non-agrarian society, companies tend to set up where there's a population to support them, and so people tend to go where the work is. Self-fulfilling prophecy after a while.

It's well and good to want to live in Mississippi because it doesn't get -20 in January, but if the work isn't there, you're either going to learn a new trade in one godawful hurry, or you're going to go where your skills are most useful. Frequently though not always), that means cities that grew up between 1700 and, oh, 1850.

SnowMan
01-15-2009, 12:17 AM
Psh. Rookies.

PilotMan
01-15-2009, 02:10 AM
Psh. Rookies.

You may now end the thread. I am from NoDak, and after 4 years in Fargo walking all over campus in blizzard after blizzard, the idea of closing school because it's 4 below makes me laugh and call you all sissy girls.

johnnyshaka
01-15-2009, 02:20 AM
Why do so many folks choose to live in places way up north where it can get so ridiculously cold? I know lots of folks love the change of seasons and all that, but high's in the '0's, if now lower? Wind chills in the -20's and beyond? You've got to be kidding me.

If a little cold weather is all I have to put up with...no hurricaines, no earthquakes, etc...then so be it. I just put on a toque and a pair of gloves and head off to work to sit in my cube for 8 hours just like everybody else.

Oddly enough, it's nowhere near as cold up here right now as it is down there.

JPhillips
01-15-2009, 07:21 AM
-7? Are you fucking kidding?

flere-imsaho
01-15-2009, 08:15 AM
-8 prior to windchill when I started up the car (Go 10-year-old Toyota, Go!) this morning at about 6:15. Luckily the car started, but I think we're starting to get close to engine block heater weather.

I saw where it's supposed to be -30 (pre-windchill) in parts of MN today, so I'd assume it'll be even worse in the Canoodian provinces.

Carman Bulldog
01-15-2009, 08:21 AM
It was -39 Celsius here. With the windchill, it was a cool -51 which I guess converts to -60 Fahrenheit.

DaddyTorgo
01-15-2009, 08:21 AM
cold is fun!!

as long as you're properly equipped there's nothing like a nice brrrrr-cold day. I'd much rather walk home from the train when it's single-digits and feel the cold stillness of a winter's night then be huffing and sweating my way home in 95-degree summer heat

that being said - i wouldn't want to be caught outside without winter-gear at this time of year...but when you live in a cold place you just know to always be prepared

DaddyTorgo
01-15-2009, 08:22 AM
100°F here in Sydney, Australia. Just sayin'. ;)

It was -39 Celsius here. With the windchill, it was a cool -51 which I guess converts to -60 Fahrenheit.

okay sweet jesus...that's crazy

Cork
01-15-2009, 08:25 AM
We are sitting at a toasty -17 degrees this morning with a high temp of -5 degrees.

-Cork

SnowMan
01-15-2009, 08:37 AM
I was in Fairbanks a few times last week. -43. Before wind chill. :)

edit: Why do I live here again?

DaddyTorgo
01-15-2009, 08:38 AM
It's a comparatively warm 11 degrees, -2 with the windchill here in boston right now.

tomorrow is supposed to be like 2/-12 with windchill

PackerFanatic
01-15-2009, 08:40 AM
-13, with a -37 windchill when I came in this morning. Certainly wakes you up real damn quick.

JeeberD
01-15-2009, 08:43 AM
okay sweet jesus...that's crazy

Well, it is summer down in Australia right now...

Man, it's 27 degrees here right now. I don't know how I'm going to survive!!1!! ;)

DaddyTorgo
01-15-2009, 08:52 AM
Well, it is summer down in Australia right now...

Man, it's 27 degrees here right now. I don't know how I'm going to survive!!1!! ;)

that's true...it is summer. Meh...I just finished reading "Collapse" by Jared Diamond - I don't think Groundhog really wants to engage me in a conversation about the pros & cons of Australia right now. :D

MikeVic
01-15-2009, 09:24 AM
Isn't it like -50F with windchill factored in?

With windchill, it was -59.8F at the coldest. But the really stupid part is that they're predicting -1C (30.2F) by Monday. Now that's a range.

Surtt
01-15-2009, 09:28 AM
35 beleow here. (without any windchill)

Mustang
01-15-2009, 09:40 AM
cold is fun!!

as long as you're properly equipped there's nothing like a nice brrrrr-cold day. I'd much rather walk home from the train when it's single-digits and feel the cold stillness of a winter's night then be huffing and sweating my way home in 95-degree summer heat

+1

The area gets nice and quiet at night because people just aren't out and about. The shit weather is when it is like 40 and raining. Give me -10 below and chilly over that.

flere-imsaho
01-15-2009, 09:40 AM
My dog's reaction this morning was pretty funny. As he realizes I'm opening the door for him he goes bounding towards the opening only to come to a screeching halt as the cold air hits him in the face. He then backs up (and he hates backing up) and gives me a look like "Uh, it's cool, I can hold it for a few more hours."

:D

DaddyTorgo
01-15-2009, 09:48 AM
+1

The area gets nice and quiet at night because people just aren't out and about. The shit weather is when it is like 40 and raining. Give me -10 below and chilly over that.

Yeah it's nice and quiet, but there's also something about the stillness and serenity of nature at that point. You don't have scurrying little animals, or leaves rustling on trees or anything. everything just feels like...supernaturally STILL. I actually love it.

bbor
01-15-2009, 11:05 AM
I can't find my balls.

BYU 14
01-15-2009, 11:09 AM
Yeah it's nice and quiet, but there's also something about the stillness and serenity of nature at that point. You don't have scurrying little animals, or leaves rustling on trees or anything. everything just feels like...supernaturally STILL. I actually love it.

+1

Of course in AZ we get those nights whenever it falls below 60

Mizzou B-ball fan
01-15-2009, 11:11 AM
+1

Of course in AZ we get those nights whenever it falls below 60

We went to Orlando a few years back in early February. It was 65-70 degrees and cloudy. We were all wearing shorts and T-shirts. The locals (Disney staff) were all wearing pants and jackets. Funny how location changes your perception of what's cold and hot.

Pumpy Tudors
01-15-2009, 11:23 AM
I've discovered that if I'm properly dressed, I can stand outside for 15 minutes and not tell the difference between 0 degrees and 30. I've never been outside in single-digit temperatures for more than 15 minutes, so my perception would probably change after that. Otherwise, I'm good. It was 11 degrees outside when I left the house this morning, and I was fine with it. Sure, I'd prefer it to be 90 degrees, but I can deal with 11 for a few minutes until the car warms up.

We'll see how I manage tonight when I'll be outside for a few minutes with a wind chill well below zero.

lungs
01-15-2009, 11:51 AM
-15 before wind chill here this morning, -12 right now. The worst part was that I had to breed 24 cows this morning. Now for those unfamiliar with the mechanics of breeding cows, basically i shove my arm up their ass so I can feel what I'm doing inside there. Hence, one of my arms has to be exposed (under a large plastic glove of course).

Now that gets fucking cold. Otherwise, this cold really ain't shit if you know how to dress up for it. Multitudes of other problems arise but so long as you dress warm you can deal with them.

JediKooter
01-15-2009, 11:56 AM
What is this "wind chill" you all speak of? Sounds like a bunch of made up gobbly gook.

Butter
01-15-2009, 11:57 AM
Supposed to be -10 here by the morning. I think the all time low for any date in Dayton is -22, so we're not all that far off.

Pumpy Tudors
01-15-2009, 12:03 PM
So, apparently, I was "breeding" my wife this morning while she was asleep. Hm. Guess I learned something today.

But what's the glove for?

DaddyTorgo
01-15-2009, 12:13 PM
So, apparently, I was "breeding" my wife this morning while she was asleep. Hm. Guess I learned something today.

:eek:

TMI!

Galaxy
01-15-2009, 12:24 PM
What happen to global warming? :)

MizzouRah
01-15-2009, 12:26 PM
Yeah, my cat went outside last night for about 10 mins and then said, "F this" and climbed the window screen to let me know he wanted back in.

Warhammer
01-15-2009, 12:39 PM

On a completely serious note, several of the trends that actually led to the higher temperatures through 1998 have reversed themselves and are now going into their cold phase. We can expect temperatures to get cooler for at least the next decade. Some scientists are speculating that we could be heading for another Maunder Minimum (that or a Dalton Minimum, which ever one is not as bad), but it is too early to speculate. The sun has entered into a very dormant phase right now, and much of what they are seeing they have not seen before.

bbor
01-15-2009, 12:41 PM

That was'nt your wife...it was your toothbrush.

Pumpy Tudors
01-15-2009, 12:59 PM
That was'nt your wife...it was your toothbrush.
Whenever I hear a buzzing noise, it's always a toss-up as to whether it's the toothbrush or the wife.

mckerney
01-15-2009, 01:16 PM
It's up to -10 now!

DaddyTorgo
01-15-2009, 01:43 PM

global warming = melting of the ice caps = changes to temperature of sea = changes to temperature of air

Pyser
01-15-2009, 02:06 PM
the idea that the temperature can drop below zero is kind of funny, when you think about it. what an absolutely ridiculous, arbitrary system

(84 in los angeles, bitches!)

FrogMan
01-15-2009, 02:18 PM
I thought our -31C (-24F) was rough this morning, but I see there are some worse than me. :)

We are used to cold weather, but even with that, it was quite cold. My mother-in-law's car refused to start yesterday afternoon. She made the mistake of starting it around noon but the block heater wasn't plugged in and she only left it running for a couple minutes, not enough for the alternator to recharge the battery. Went over and jumpstarted the car and the car started fine.

FM

Crim
01-15-2009, 06:53 PM
Funny throwaway line by a local radio guy this afternoon (local being the Tampa Bay area): "And so we see many parts of our nation today locked in the icy grip of Global Warming"

MylesKnight
01-15-2009, 07:59 PM
Sound nice?

http://weather.yahoo.com/images/carib_outlookf_en_GB_440_mdy_y.jpg

Wolfpack
01-15-2009, 09:22 PM
Got a weather station as a Christmas present and have been putting it to use watching the temps fall today. We're down to 24 on the back porch and had a stretch from about 5-6:30 PM today where the temps were falling at about four degrees an hour. For North Carolina, it's cold, but obviously not that cold compared to much of the country right now. Still forecasting single digits possibly tomorrow night which will be easily the coldest night since we've moved back to North Carolina over a year ago (but isn't close to the coldest I've ever experienced, as there were a few sub-zero nights when we lived in Ann Arbor).

Buccaneer
01-15-2009, 09:31 PM
cold is fun!!

that being said - i wouldn't want to be caught outside without winter-gear at this time of year...but when you live in a cold place you just know to always be prepared

Yep. I love the cold because you can do whatever it takes to get warm (I learned that from skiing) but it's hard to do something similar to get cool (only so much you can take off). Living in a house with central heat in the cold of winter is so much better than living without AC in the heat of summer. Even at work, the building is more comfortable in winter than in the summer with the AC going.

Chief Rum
01-15-2009, 09:33 PM
BRRRRRRRRRRRRR......

(Maybe I oughtta turn down the A/C)

PackerFanatic
01-16-2009, 09:55 AM
A balmy -38 wind chill out there again today. And 3 - 6 inches of snow in the forecast for tomorrow!

Oh how I love Wisconsin.

flere-imsaho
01-16-2009, 11:34 AM
-11 in Chicago at 8:30 AM when I started the car (go 1999 Toyota go!). Prior to wind chill.

Also, the outlet pipe from my sump pump froze last night (noticed that the pump wasn't shutting off), so crawled down there (into the crawlspace lol) and shut it off. Hopefully it'll thaw sometime next week.

Edit: Speaking of which, does anyone know where I could go, in general, to get hay bales? I think I'd like to, next year, cover the little bit of the outlet pipe exposed to the air, so that it's somewhat less likely to freeze.

JPhillips
01-16-2009, 11:55 AM
-11 in Chicago at 8:30 AM when I started the car (go 1999 Toyota go!). Prior to wind chill.

Also, the outlet pipe from my sump pump froze last night (noticed that the pump wasn't shutting off), so crawled down there (into the crawlspace lol) and shut it off. Hopefully it'll thaw sometime next week.

Edit: Speaking of which, does anyone know where I could go, in general, to get hay bales? I think I'd like to, next year, cover the little bit of the outlet pipe exposed to the air, so that it's somewhat less likely to freeze.

A farm?

Butter
01-16-2009, 12:00 PM
I was thinking "an unguarded field", but yeah.

flere-imsaho
01-16-2009, 12:25 PM
A farm?

Yeah, but I'd prefer not to have to drive randomly out into the countryside looking for a farmer who wants to sell hay bales. Though that might be what I have to do....

FrogMan
01-16-2009, 12:29 PM
Yeah, but I'd prefer not to have to drive randomly out into the countryside looking for a farmer who wants to sell hay bales. Though that might be what I have to do....

many hardware stores sell some smaller ones around Halloween time around here...

FM

CleBrownsfan
01-16-2009, 12:30 PM

That's where we were at this morning in Cleveland... -11 with a -30 wc..now it's up to 2 :banghead:

Surtt
01-17-2009, 04:53 PM
35 beleow here. (without any windchill)

It is 21 above today, a 56 degree difference in 2 days.

MizzouRah
01-17-2009, 05:27 PM
Yeah.. 40 degrees today feels wonderful. :)

Wolfpack
01-17-2009, 07:20 PM
Managed to fall to 10 in my neck of the woods last night and then rebounded to just above freezing today. What was interesting about last night was when I went to the Costco about 6 PM to tank up, I was perfectly fine, temps were about 30 and I didn't feel cold or anything. Went inside Costco to pick up some groceries and then came back out to temps that hadn't fallen much, but I think there was a slight breeze at that point. That wind was just enough to make everything that was exposed sting. I didn't detect a breeze, but when I got home, the temp history only recorded a couple of degrees difference at the most between the time I went in and the time I left, so there must have been something blowing about because it was much worse coming out than going in.