PDA

View Full Version : Plane lands in Hudson River?

Neuqua
01-15-2009, 02:49 PM
I just turned the local news on, what an image. What happened?

RainMaker
01-15-2009, 02:52 PM
Not sure, US Airways flight that seems half out of the water. Tons of local ferry boats there to help. Bizarre scene.

Lathum
01-15-2009, 02:57 PM
watching online but I cant seem to get any commentary or sound, did everyone make it?

Lathum
01-15-2009, 02:58 PM
my wife said she heard a flock of geese flew into the engines and the pilot couldnt get control

Toddzilla
01-15-2009, 03:00 PM
US Airways - Airbus - 325 people on board - crashed after takeoff

JonInMiddleGA
01-15-2009, 03:00 PM
And we have a close family friend who is a U.S. Air pilot who works the northeast :( Checking the TV now ourselves.

Neuqua
01-15-2009, 03:03 PM
Apparently the pilots did one heckuva job in handling the whole situation.

Ronnie Dobbs2
01-15-2009, 03:05 PM
Flight from LaGuardia to Charlotte, from what I read.

Dr. Sak
01-15-2009, 03:07 PM
my wife said she heard a flock of geese flew into the engines and the pilot couldnt get control

Seagulls?

MylesKnight
01-15-2009, 03:08 PM
Eerie. Reminds me of Air Florida Crash in 1982. Plane crashed into a bridge in Washington D.C. and into the Potomac River.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/0/04/Af90.jpg

Lathum
01-15-2009, 03:09 PM
all I can see on the TV is a bunch of boats

JonInMiddleGA
01-15-2009, 03:09 PM
Family friend is safe & sound at home, was off today. CNN just talked to one passenger who said he thought all the passengers made it off the plane safely, which would be bordering on miraculous IMO.

Logan
01-15-2009, 03:10 PM
Wow, I have a coworker in town from Charlotte for a workshop. Normally these end on Thursdays, not Fridays, and she would've 100% been on this flight.

Logan
01-15-2009, 03:11 PM
ABC is showing passengers moving onto another boat. Everyone, amazingly, looks perfectly fine.

The pilots and crew deserve medals.

Toddzilla
01-15-2009, 03:11 PM
Listening to Wolf Blitzer on CNN talkingto a guy on the phone claiming to have been on the plane, I'm cringing waiting for the inevitable "Ba-Ba-Booey Ba-Ba-Booey Ba-Ba-Booey Ba-Ba-Booey ..."

RendeR
01-15-2009, 03:13 PM
Wow, I know how much damage a single bird can cause to a jet engine, I can't imagine how he kept it in the air long enough to land like that if he hit a whole flock.

RainMaker
01-15-2009, 03:16 PM
They say people were waiting on the wings for rescue. Amazing.

path12
01-15-2009, 03:17 PM
Probably terrorist geese. Sneaky little bastards.

MylesKnight
01-15-2009, 03:18 PM
Question, after going through something like this, do you take another flight say tomorrow? I would think the train down to Charlotte would sound just fine.

path12
Dola -- glad everyone seems OK.

EDIT: Shit. Too slow.

Lathum
I am amazed the river isn't on fire considering the plane was full of fuel.

And no, I am not kidding.

Lathum
01-15-2009, 03:19 PM
Question, after going through something like this, do you take another flight say tomorrow? I would taking the train down to Charlotte would sound just fine.

no way in hell I am getting on another plane for a long time. Like ever.

Toddzilla
01-15-2009, 03:21 PM
FWIW, Wolf Blitzer is the Worst. Interviewer. EVAR.

JonInMiddleGA
01-15-2009, 03:22 PM

+1

{paraphrase of the bit that sent me out of the room earlier} "You mean there were young children and old people on the plane with you?" (as though this were something uncommon)

Logan
01-15-2009, 03:23 PM
I am amazed the river isn't on fire considering the plane was full of fuel.

And no, I am not kidding.

Doesn't look like there was any damage to the plane.

RendeR
01-15-2009, 03:25 PM
THe airline will most likely offer them whatever transportation they choose. Trains, busses, rental cars, etc...

Toddzilla
01-15-2009, 03:25 PM
Every question is a 5-sentence monstrosity, repetitive, and completely lacking of any insight. The story isn't about you, Wolf, so please STFU and let the guy who was *actually on the goddamned plane* do the talking.

RendeR
01-15-2009, 03:27 PM
Doesn't look like there was any damage to the plane.

I was impressed at how little damage there seemed to be to the aircraft, but a passenger they interviewed on MSNBC said the pilot made and "amazingly soft landing in the river". So if he did as well as this wold suggest the plane is probably intact, simply flooded.

Toddzilla
01-15-2009, 03:27 PM
THe airline will most likely offer them whatever transportation they choose. Trains, busses, rental cars, etc...Limousine, baby!

MylesKnight
01-15-2009, 03:29 PM

The beard does look a bit better nowadays. Back in the Gulf War days, he did bear some resemblance to an actual wolf.

SackAttack
01-15-2009, 03:34 PM
Question, after going through something like this, do you take another flight say tomorrow? I would think the train down to Charlotte would sound just fine.

If Final Destination has taught us anything, it means that taking the train would result in a horrific derailment.

Toddzilla
01-15-2009, 03:34 PM
The beard does look a bit better nowadays. Back in the Gulf War days, he did bear some resemblance to an actual wolf.http://www.americangladiatorslive.com/gallery/data/514/wolf_015.jpg

Lathum
01-15-2009, 03:35 PM
I was impressed at how little damage there seemed to be to the aircraft, but a passenger they interviewed on MSNBC said the pilot made and "amazingly soft landing in the river". So if he did as well as this wold suggest the plane is probably intact, simply flooded.

me too. I used to fly alot for work and everytime we were about to take off I would always get a little creeped out that there is about 12 inches of metal between me and death.

MylesKnight
01-15-2009, 03:40 PM
I was waiting for the guy just interviewed on CNN to say something along the lines of, "If Chuck Norris were onboard the birds would've stayed away."

Logan
01-15-2009, 03:43 PM
me too. I used to fly alot for work and everytime we were about to take off I would always get a little creeped out that there is about 12 inches of metal between me and death.

Next time you get into an elevator, think of the cables that are keeping you alive.

Neuqua
01-15-2009, 03:44 PM
It's time for me to leave this thread if all that is going to be brought up is how fragile my life is at any given time.

:(

samifan24
01-15-2009, 04:00 PM
It sounds like the pilots did a phenomenal job staying cool and putting everyone in the best possible position given the circumstances. Glad to hear it.

MylesKnight
01-15-2009, 04:09 PM
The plane looks kind of like a beagle in the water.

Maple Leafs
01-15-2009, 04:45 PM
http://torontosportsmedia.files.wordpress.com/2009/01/us-air-hudson-full.jpg?w=500&h=666

Apparently a photo from twitter...

RainMaker
01-15-2009, 04:54 PM
Pilot was a former Air Force Fighter Jet Pilot. If there's a flight to be on that crashes, it's gotta be someone with that pedigree.

MylesKnight
01-15-2009, 04:54 PM
http://torontosportsmedia.files.wordpress.com/2009/01/us-air-hudson-full.jpg?w=500&h=666

Apparently a photo from twitter...

Water Taxi

Raiders Army
01-15-2009, 05:04 PM
I'm glad everyone's okay, but seriously I'd be trying to get to my checked bag that I paid $25.

heybrad
01-15-2009, 05:12 PM
I feel the same way, but I have no choice. I'm actually flying to Charlotte on Monday. Every flight I get on there is a moment before we take off where I think... "This could be it for me."

Rizon
01-15-2009, 05:12 PM

+2
Right down there with the 800 year old Larry King. Man those guys are awful.

tucker rocky
01-15-2009, 05:56 PM
Probably terrorist geese. Sneaky little bastards.

Terrorists trained the flock of geese to attack any passenger plane.
This is another WOMD.

Terrorists+ geese= the :devil:

tucker rocky
01-15-2009, 05:58 PM
dola,

On a serious note,
all passengers and crew seem to be ok, no casualties.

digamma
01-15-2009, 06:34 PM

You should probably never leave your home. Or maybe not get out of bed. Ever. You're totally safe there.

Glengoyne
01-15-2009, 06:56 PM
This is a pretty amazing story. The image of the passengers standing on the wings is stunning.

I heard a couple of interviews of passenger on NPR. They indicated that it all happened so fast, there wasn't too terribly much time to panic.

There was a shudder, what sounded like an explosion, and then silence. The pilot put the plane into a gentle turn, and came over the loud speaker with three words "Brace for impact".

Apparently he had his hands full performing a truly amazing and skillful landing. He should never again be allowed to pay for a drink in the presence of his fellow pilots.

EagleFan
01-15-2009, 08:02 PM
Sounds like a helluva job by the pilot. Very impressive.

With that said, that was not what I wanted to see on TV just a couple days before I'll be flying US Air, one of their planes downed in a river.

I guess this is the ONE water landing that they are teaching you about when they give the emergency procedures.

Oh yeah, I heard they were Canadian Geese. Blame Canada!!! When do we invade? ;)

bhlloy
01-15-2009, 08:18 PM
I feel the same way, but I have no choice. I'm actually flying to Charlotte on Monday. Every flight I get on there is a moment before we take off where I think... "This could be it for me."

Do you feel the same way before you get in a car, or cross the road, or go to sleep at night? Just saying that statistically, ya know... major airline travel (in first world countries at least) is pretty safe :D

JediKooter
01-15-2009, 08:35 PM
The people on the wing kinda reminds me of this classic:

JPhillips
01-15-2009, 09:51 PM
I wish ABC wasn't calling it The Miracle on the River. This wasn't a miracle, it was the result of a very well-trained and skilled pilot along with a very good flight crew and rescue team. Calling it a miracle takes away from the performance of those responsible for the safety of those people.

As long as I'm on a decent sized jet I have tremendous faith in America's flight crews to get me there safe. If only I had as much faith in the ticketing staff.

Glengoyne
01-15-2009, 10:10 PM
I wish ABC wasn't calling it The Miracle on the River. This wasn't a miracle, it was the result of a very well-trained and skilled pilot along with a very good flight crew and rescue team. Calling it a miracle takes away from the performance of those responsible for the safety of those people.

I feel the same way. I started to type that the pilot made a miraculous landing, and then I realized that to ascribe divine intervention takes away from what saved all of those people. The clear calm intellect and skill of that pilot.

MylesKnight
01-15-2009, 10:14 PM
The crew landed this bad boy on the water like it was a damn jet ski gliding on the waves. Salud to them!

Lathum
01-15-2009, 11:57 PM
You should probably never leave your home. Or maybe not get out of bed. Ever. You're totally safe there.

I have flow hundreds of thousands of miles.

I am not scared to fly or of doing anything else that could hurt me.

Except snakes. I hate snakes.

RainMaker
01-16-2009, 01:12 AM

As long as I'm on a decent sized jet I have tremendous faith in America's flight crews to get me there safe. If only I had as much faith in the ticketing staff.

How do you think a great surgeon feels? Someone comes in dying, he fixes them in a grueling surrgery, and they all thank God.

Klinglerware
01-16-2009, 06:23 AM
How do you think a great surgeon feels? Someone comes in dying, he fixes them in a grueling surrgery, and they all thank God.

But quite a few surgeons tend to think that they are, in fact, God. So, it's all good...

PilotMan
01-16-2009, 09:41 AM
But quite a few pilots tend to think that they are, in fact, God. So, it's all good...

fixed that for you

Eaglesfan27
01-16-2009, 09:45 AM
But quite a few surgeons tend to think that they are, in fact, God. So, it's all good...

So true. Maybe it was just my very limited sample, but almost every surgeon I came in contact with during my rotations had a God complex and were A-holes about it.

Edit to add: I'm amazed at the skill of this pilot, the crew, and the 1st responders that got everyone out of there safely.

Logan
01-16-2009, 09:49 AM
I give Neuqua credit for an appropriate thread title. It kinda bothered me that even once it was known that everyone got off, ABC still was going with the headline of "plane crashes in the Hudson" with no mention or clarification that it was a safe landing.

SirFozzie
01-17-2009, 02:26 PM
BBC NEWS | World | Americas | New pictures show NY plane crash (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/7835497.stm)

video from static cameras of the plane's landing in the river.

DaddyTorgo
01-17-2009, 03:02 PM
I have flow hundreds of thousands of miles.

I am not scared to fly or of doing anything else that could hurt me.

Except snakes. I hate snakes.

what about snakes on a plane? :devil: