PDA

View Full Version : Dell Laptops Delayed

AgustusM
01-15-2009, 06:12 PM
I had a number of clients order laptops at the end of the year to make sure they hit the books in 2008. Today I noticed that all the laptops that I ordered from Dell (different models to different companies) have been delayed and at least one has a ship date that is now mid February.

Also my wife is due for a new laptop from work (also Dell) and they announced yesterday that they are all delayed.

I did a couple of google and digg searches and came up with nothing current.

Anyone else experiencing delays with Dell right now?

jeff061
01-15-2009, 06:17 PM
We've got them flowing in at work fine.

RainMaker
01-16-2009, 01:18 AM
Did you get a special monitor for them? That was the only thing that held mine up. It actually shipped much quicker than the date they stated though.

Kevin
01-16-2009, 05:56 AM
I ordered a desktop from their boxing day deals and it has been delayed. Their website indicated that it went into production, but I got an e-mail saying it was delayed for at least a week.

Alan T
01-16-2009, 06:33 AM
I haven't ordered any laptops from Dell, but I did order some NAS appliances for home recently. All of which said would be a week delayed, but ended up only being about 1 day delayed. I had always been told shipping during this time of year is sometimes sketchy because bad weather delays various shipments at times by a day or three so didn't think anything of it until your post. I still am not sure I think much about it unless someone knows something that I do not.

AgustusM
01-16-2009, 01:57 PM
talked to the IT director from my wife's company and he said their salesperson said "they had a recall on the new body style some sort of cpu to motherboard issue"

this is killing my January schedule.

Kevin
01-19-2009, 06:07 PM
I got another "delayed" e-mail today. When I called they said it would ship no later than February 16th? WTF

AgustusM
01-19-2009, 08:05 PM
I am getting the same 2/16 date on a laptop ordered on 12/30.

MJ4H
01-19-2009, 09:06 PM
Dude what the crap? Is this all laptops or one specific kind? I had no idea about this and just ordered this morning.

Seriously this is bullcrap.

AgustusM
01-19-2009, 11:01 PM
could be worse, could have peanut butter in them and then they would all have to be recalled.

stevew
01-20-2009, 01:13 AM
This is what you guys get for being bad to Kyle.

Kevin
01-20-2009, 06:15 AM
The real annoying part is that I already removed a lot of files and programs from my old desktop anticipating the new one would be here late last week.

Also bizarre is that I never would have considered a Dell except that several friends assured me that they are now actually repairable and upgradable without having to send back to the factory and that they are really fast in making deliveries.

The alternative HP I was considering was actually in stock at the time at my local Future Shop. Grrr.

AgustusM
01-20-2009, 03:04 PM
I have bought 25 dells a year for the past 8 years and have never had this problem in the past.

MJ4H
01-20-2009, 04:11 PM
The one I ordered yesterday says estimated ship 1/29 and estimated arrival 2/3. So far that is reasonable. Hopefully it won't even take that long, though.

MJ4H
02-06-2009, 05:42 PM
Ordered on 1-19, ship date pushed back twice, now scheduled to ship on 2-12. Says part supply problems. YAY!!!!

:mad:

Rizon
02-06-2009, 06:41 PM
Ordered on 1-19, ship date pushed back twice, now scheduled to ship on 2-12. Says part supply problems. YAY!!!!

:mad:

You do have to admit you cursed yourself on that one.

AgustusM
02-08-2009, 12:20 PM
very odd they canceled the original order, but after spending 40 minutes on hold/transfers and finally talking to a human they couldn't figure out why.

went through and created a new order after talking to the client and it came out $100 cheaper, so at least that part was good - although now it is not shipping until March.

very odd, I have never had these types of problems with dell orders in the past.

MJ4H
02-08-2009, 12:25 PM
Just checked on mine and it is in the boxing stage now, which means that the computer has been built and tested. Now I just have to wait for it to get here. Whew.

stevew
02-09-2009, 08:32 AM
the whole entire electronics sector is fucked right now, so i wouldn't be suprised if a lot of things are not as readily available as they once were. Manufacturers are really cutting back on making things, and basically supply has been outpaced by demand, at least on certain things. I bet dell was trying to not get burnt on a bunch of inventory, expecting a much worse holiday season than normal. When it wasn't as bad as they predicted, you get delays cause stuff isn't sitting around to be sold.

MJ4H
02-09-2009, 11:01 AM
My laptop has shipped. Hooray!