PDA

View Full Version : SXSW 2009 projected lineup announced

cartman
01-15-2009, 06:18 PM
Here's the list of around 1100 bands expected to be in Austin for SXSW, March 18th-22nd. Are any FOFCers planning on attending?

SXSW band list (http://www.austin360.com/music/content/music/stories/2009/01/0114sxswbandlist.html)

path12
01-16-2009, 12:13 AM
Holy crap that's a lot of bands. Surprised I recognized as many as I did.

No travel this year. I've been to ACL twice and love it but want to get to SXSW one of these years. Or move there and go to both!

BTW, if you get a chance to see Andrew Bird, take it.

ArlingtonColt
01-16-2009, 09:10 AM
Jewdyssee (Berlin GERMANY)

Did anyone think this might be in slightly bad taste??

JonInMiddleGA
01-16-2009, 09:45 AM
Jewdyssee (Berlin GERMANY)

I thought you might be right ... until I Googled 'em & discovered they're a group that mixes traditional Yiddish music & lyrics with club beats. They say “Jewdyssee is not about making a political or religious statement,” says Maya and Eina of the group. “We just want to show that our culture not only has a tragic history, but that there is a great wealth of music and culture to be celebrated and that this culture is a current part of our lives that we want to express and share.

We just want people to see that our Jewish culture is alive and strong. By giving the youth a voice, by bringing this music to new people, it is going to keep it alive.

The Jew Spot: German Club Scene Take Hits of Jewdyssee (http://myjewspot.blogspot.com/2008/11/hit-of-jewdysee.html)
Jewlicious » Jewdyssee (http://www.jewlicious.com/tag/jewdyssee/)

Cringer
01-16-2009, 01:01 PM
I would like to see Birds of Tokyo and the Birds of Wales battle it out against each other. Oddly enough both bands are from Canada.

cartman
01-16-2009, 01:07 PM

You want bad taste, harken back to an experience I had at one of the early SXSW shows I went to back in the early 90's. There was a band I really wanted to see, which name escapes me at the moment. The venue was the old Antone's location. We got there early, and there were going to be a few no-name bands playing before the act we wanted to see. They were nothing special, until the band that came up right before the act we wanted to see.

At first, the performance was your standard garage band stuff. Then it quickly headed off into left field. While the guitarist was doing a solo, the lead singer dropped his pants and started shaving off his pubes. When he was done with that, he started jerking off into a glass jar. It was about that time that the cops came in and stopped the show. It also shut down Antone's for the rest of the night, and we never got to see the band that we originally wanted to see.

Cringer
01-16-2009, 01:17 PM
That's in bad taste because though he was only masturbating, he was really screwing every one in the place at the same time. :drums here: