PDA

View Full Version : Axe Commercials

StLee
01-16-2009, 09:16 PM
The new Axe commercials are terrible. I am not even in the U.S., so thankfully I don't have to see those dumb commercials other than when I watch games online. Are you serious, Axe?

"If these guys (primped male models) can't meet a woman, what chance do you have?" OK, badly paraphrased, but the idea is that male models can't meet a woman if they don't use Axe products. Yeah, right.

Ok. You got me, Axe. Now I must use your hair products. It's not bad enough that your deodorant makes your armpits smell like three-day-old sweat and your spray colognes make you smell like an old man's anus. Now I must use your hair products, or else I have no chance of ever talking to a beautiful woman . . . ever.

What a piece of crap ad campaign.

JediKooter
01-16-2009, 09:19 PM
Yes, Axe makes some absolutely horrible commercials. I think they must have the same ad agency that Carl's Jr uses.

JonInMiddleGA
01-16-2009, 09:30 PM
I've always figured I'm just not the target audience for the product (which seems to be college age males) but it's hard to argue with the success Axe has had with highly sexualized and downright tacky (IMO) ad campaigns. At one point, around 2005, they had nearly 90% market share and although the total sales in the category seem to have slumped sharply since since (figures I've seen ranged from $180 million at peak to below $100m a year now) they've actually gained share since then by not falling as sharply as most of their competitors. At this point I guess Tag is the only real second choice & they're celebrating getting a market share in the teens.

Point being, hard to argue with Axe's success even if I find the commercials absurd.