PDA

View Full Version : The magic kingdom gave me a different perspective on Wall-E

Glengoyne
01-17-2009, 10:48 AM
When Wall-E came out, I was a bit indifferent to it. I still don't like it as much as other Disney animation work, but ... well that isn't the point I was going to make.

Before Christmas I spent four days with the family in Disneyland. One of the things I noticed were all of the damn people riding around on those red electric scooters. Some of them were old, one I saw was wearing a cast, but by and large the people I saw riding them were simply large. Wall-E cruise ship obese, to be more specific. The scooters in the movie duly resemble those in the park, and I find that just hilarious. I'm guessing that Disney has seen the relatively rare use of these electronic scooters shoot up over the years. I was surprised to see a sea of these things just inside the gates when we arrived one early morning. There were more scooters than strollers for rent.

In any case, I think the fact that the Disney folks taking a shot at the fattening of America is a hell of a lot funnier with this revelation.

Shkspr
01-17-2009, 04:46 PM
The architecture on the cruise ship is extremely reminiscent of the World of Tomorrow. Even the animation style is a nod to John Hench.

sterlingice
01-18-2009, 01:29 PM
Makes me think of whoever posted the idea of "Big Game Hunters"- the game where you try to find fat people on scooters in WalMart ;)

SI

Tigercat
01-18-2009, 03:56 PM
When Wall-E came out, I was a bit indifferent to it. I still don't like it as much as other Disney animation work, but ... well that isn't the point I was going to make.

Before Christmas I spent four days with the family in Disneyland. One of the things I noticed were all of the damn people riding around on those red electric scooters. Some of them were old, one I saw was wearing a cast, but by and large the people I saw riding them were simply large. Wall-E cruise ship obese, to be more specific. The scooters in the movie duly resemble those in the park, and I find that just hilarious. I'm guessing that Disney has seen the relatively rare use of these electronic scooters shoot up over the years. I was surprised to see a sea of these things just inside the gates when we arrived one early morning. There were more scooters than strollers for rent.

In any case, I think the fact that the Disney folks taking a shot at the fattening of America is a hell of a lot funnier with this revelation.

The best part of Wall-E is everything that happens before the obese people arrive on screen. Humanity/the human spirit still present after humans are gone and have practically destroyed Earth. The first half is some very good family oriented sci-fi.

Schmidty
01-18-2009, 06:17 PM
The best part of Wall-E is everything that happens before the obese people arrive on screen. Humanity/the human spirit still present after humans are gone and have practically destroyed Earth. The first half is some very good family oriented sci-fi.

Yeah. I don't usually insult people's taste-ualness, but.....

Glengoyne
01-18-2009, 09:58 PM
I agree that the early part of Wall-E is borderline great....Then it goes on a really long time making heavy handed social commentary. That turned me off. Now, I can at least imagine the fun the writers/animators were having during development.

Subby
01-18-2009, 10:59 PM
If your BMI is over 40 you should be denied healthcare, but given a free scooter.

stevew
01-18-2009, 11:04 PM
Makes me think of whoever posted the idea of "Big Game Hunters"- the game where you try to find fat people on scooters in WalMart ;)

SI

Lol. Me too. And wall-e put me to sleep. Which is odd cause I love Pixar.