PDA

View Full Version : Can My Parents Handle Windows Vista?

Logan
01-18-2009, 11:02 PM
My parents desktop got so messed up with malware that it's completely unusable. It's an old computer anyway so it was probably time. They use it for going online, simple word docs, listening to iTunes, etc.

So I'm in charge of finding a new one for them. They have no desire to spend any more than is completely necessary, and the most basic computer is definitely plenty. Over at Dell, I see everything comes standard with Vista now, and on some models, you can change it to XP for $150.

My parents are very computer-illiterate. Will they be able to handle the change from XP to Vista? Do things look very different? Is it the same process to do very simple tasks?

Or should I just have them spend the extra dough? Thanks, appreciate any input as I've never messed around with Vista.

Daimyo
01-18-2009, 11:12 PM
Vista acts pretty much exactly like XP from a user interface perspective.

Atocep
01-18-2009, 11:18 PM
My parents desktop got so messed up with malware that it's completely unusable. It's an old computer anyway so it was probably time. They use it for going online, simple word docs, listening to iTunes, etc.

So I'm in charge of finding a new one for them. They have no desire to spend any more than is completely necessary, and the most basic computer is definitely plenty. Over at Dell, I see everything comes standard with Vista now, and on some models, you can change it to XP for $150.

My parents are very computer-illiterate. Will they be able to handle the change from XP to Vista? Do things look very different? Is it the same process to do very simple tasks?

Or should I just have them spend the extra dough? Thanks, appreciate any input as I've never messed around with Vista.

You can have it looking almost exactly like XP in less than 5 minutes. Even without any changes, its not very different from XP. They should be fine.

ISiddiqui
01-18-2009, 11:33 PM
Vista acts pretty much exactly like XP from a user interface perspective.

Yep. It has a few things that make it a bit easier to use, but it's not all that much different than XP.

Logan
01-19-2009, 12:04 AM
Cool, thanks. I'm guessing I can figure out the necessary changes pretty easily?

Drake
01-19-2009, 08:21 AM
I was really worried when my dad made the switch (similar sitch: he asked me to pick out his new PC), because dad is almost completely computer illiterate. He never even made the jump to XP...he was still running Windows 98 on an ancient PC.

I think he's called me maybe 5 times for OS support over the last year that he's had the new box. I'm not sure how much of that is Vista's ease of use and how much is the fact that he's finally accepted my premise that it's impossible to break his PC just by using the software and figuring things out (i.e., there's nothing that can't be fixed with a clean install).

Honolulu_Blue
01-19-2009, 08:35 AM
I just made the switch about a month ago. It's pretty easy. The only real glitch I have come across is that Vista wont let some older programs run unless they are run as an Administrator or whatever the heck that is. It just takes an extra click.

Drake
01-19-2009, 08:51 AM
Yeah, I forgot about that. My dad had to replace most of his 10-year-old peripherals because they wouldn't work with Vista and the models were old enough that the companies (even if they were still in business) weren't updating the drivers anymore. Similarly with some of my dad's old DOS-based software.

Moving from XP, it might not be as big a deal, but my dad had some hidden costs that he didn't count on.

jeff061
01-19-2009, 08:52 AM
I've found your average person makes the switch much less painfully than a more experienced user.

Logan
01-19-2009, 11:21 AM
he's finally accepted my premise that it's impossible to break his PC just by using the software and figuring things out

I spent years trying to get them to understand the same thing.

Ryan S
01-19-2009, 04:57 PM
on some models, you can change it to XP for $150.

Dell charges $150 to give you an older operating system?

AgustusM
01-19-2009, 05:47 PM
Surprising everyone is so positive and not one mention of UAC.

My parents in their 60's would be baffled by something like UAC and never know what to click I learned that years ago when I tried to put Zone Alarm on their computers and they never knew whether to click yes or no so they randomly did both which of course killed half what they were trying to do and still didn't prevent them from loading viruses.

AgustusM
01-19-2009, 05:47 PM
Dell charges $150 to give you an older operating system?

yes, although technically you are downgrading which means you are getting XP and Vista. XP preloaded and Vista disks so you can upgrade later.

Atocep
01-19-2009, 05:59 PM
Surprising everyone is so positive and not one mention of UAC.

My parents in their 60's would be baffled by something like UAC and never know what to click I learned that years ago when I tried to put Zone Alarm on their computers and they never knew whether to click yes or no so they randomly did both which of course killed half what they were trying to do and still didn't prevent them from loading viruses.

It can be turned off quite easily. So I don't see why it would be an issue.

Atocep
01-19-2009, 06:12 PM

Here's 3 things you can do for them to make it look/act like XP.

Change the start menu to classic view - right click on the taskbar at the bottom and click 'properties'. Then click on the 'Start Menu' tab. Then click 'Classic Start Menu'.

Change the Control Panel back to XP interface - Go to 'Control Panel' and on the left hand side choose 'Classic View'.

Turn off User Access Control - Go to 'Conrol Panel'. Then select 'User Accounts'. Then 'Turn User Access Control On or Off'

MizzouRah
01-19-2009, 06:21 PM
The last one Atpcep mentions for sure!!!

Logan
01-19-2009, 06:26 PM
Appreciate it very much guys. If there's anything else I should know, please keep it coming.

AgustusM
01-19-2009, 08:03 PM
It can be turned off quite easily. So I don't see why it would be an issue.

Because it then displays a nag screen that attempts to get users to turn it back on, In my experience users click those kind of things and keep clicking until it goes away.

jeff061
01-19-2009, 08:12 PM
Nag screen can be turned off to. I figure if you can do one you can do the other.

Lame that you have too, on both counts, but you can.

Logan
01-19-2009, 08:53 PM
Just in case I can't figure it out, how would one turn off the nag screen :)?