PDA

View Full Version : Online retailer question (newegg.com in this case)

JonInMiddleGA
01-19-2009, 08:03 PM
Not sure whether there's already a thread about this sort of thing or not, basically somewhere to ask about experiences with particular online retailers.
If so I'll delete this one, I just don't recall seeing one.

In my case tonight I'm wondering if Newegg.com - Computer Parts, PC Components, Laptop Computers, Digital Cameras and more! (www.newegg.com) is one of the good sites, that's actually reputable, decent to do business with, etc. My recollection is that I've seen people here buy from them on occasion & that everything was on the up & up but, well, my memory is kind of like the old gray mare these days.

So FOFC, what's the verdict? No worries about buying from them? Or steer clear like the plague?

In case you're wondering, I was looking to see if there was a cheap copy of The Orange Box for 360 out there somewhere, ended up at newegg and was actually more interested in their 12 months XBox Live card for just $38.99 (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16874103030)with free shipping (mixed accounts of whether it's really just 12 month or if it's the usual 13 month card).

Pumpy Tudors
01-19-2009, 08:04 PM
No worries about NewEgg. It is one of the really good ones.

DaddyTorgo
01-19-2009, 08:06 PM
what Pumpy said. I'd rather buy from NewEgg than a brick n mortar store honestly.

Atocep
01-19-2009, 08:09 PM
I've bought every part for the last two computers I've built from newegg. Most people I know that build do the same.

They're as reliable as it gets. Online store or not.

cartman
01-19-2009, 08:09 PM
Yeah, NewEgg is top notch. But for the Xbox Live card, check out the other thread that contains the monthly sales figures. There is a link there from Amazon that has the 12 month card for $30. Ten bucks is ten bucks. :)

Here's the link: Amazon.com: Used and New: Xbox 360 Live 12 Month Gold Card plus 1 Month Bonus (http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B000B9RI00/ref=pd_bbs_sr_olp_1?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1232408936&sr=8-1)
Looks like they are out of stock until the 29th now. Those sure went fast.

Calis
01-19-2009, 08:20 PM
I'd rank Newegg as probably the most reliable and friendly site I've used. I've bought loads of stuff from them, some of which had issues(as to be expected with computer hardware). Very friendly all around, and very quick service.

gstelmack
01-19-2009, 08:21 PM
Yeah, NewEgg is really good, I've bought a couple of thousand dollars worth of stuff from them, and they even took back the one video card I got that was DOA with no problems at all. I'm piecing together a system there now just in case I'm actually getting a tax refund, as my current system is underpowered and the video card is dying (machine shuts off if I play most any 3D game for a bit right now, and Civ IV is showing graphic corruption, sigh...)

jeff061
01-19-2009, 08:23 PM
Yeah. If you asked me to name one site I support and trust it'd be NewEgg. Redundant I know, but I've been shopping from them since they were a startup.

They used to bend the rules more, replacing things no questions asked when you had clearly voided the warranty(burning out/damaging several CPUs in a couple weeks springs to mind), but they are still quality.

Radii
01-19-2009, 08:29 PM
Yep, more positive comments about NewEgg. Its not just a good site, its the first and often only site I go to when I'm doing anything with my computer.

Drake
01-19-2009, 08:33 PM
I've done tons of business with NewEgg (for parts, not whole machines). They've been outstanding every time.

Philliesfan980
01-19-2009, 08:59 PM
Like most people here, I've bought a ton of stuff off of NewEgg. It's not always the cheapest, and I think they nickel and dime you a little with the shipping on some things, but as far as service goes, it's top notch.

If I order something on Monday morning, if I don't have it by Thursday I'm shocked, and in the majority of cases, I have it on Wednesday, with normal shipping.

Surtt
01-19-2009, 09:01 PM
I buy almost all my hardware with them.
Never had any problems.

Tasan
01-19-2009, 09:02 PM
Its the only place online to really bother ordering computer hardware from. I've ordered a LOT of system build components from them. Their RMA process is pretty painless too, had a couple of shipping issues with hard drives once.

flere-imsaho
01-19-2009, 09:11 PM
Another very satisfied Newegg customer here. I've bought several thousand dollars worth of parts from them over the past 5 years and have not regretted a single transaction.

MacroGuru
01-19-2009, 09:12 PM
My desktop is built from everything bought from NewEgg...love it.

Godzilla Blitz
01-19-2009, 09:20 PM
Been buying from them for several years now. Good stuff, good service.

JonInMiddleGA
01-19-2009, 10:22 PM
Okay, so ... has any site in FOFC history been more soundly endorsed?

I'm thinking maybe we ought to see if they'll hook us up with some sort of referral discount or something ;)

Thanks guys, I guess they were who I thought they were then.

MJ4H
01-19-2009, 10:26 PM
Count me in with the positive reviews.

SackAttack
01-19-2009, 10:38 PM
Jon, the only straight-up 12 month cards I know of are for the old-school Xbox Live. Every 12 month card I've ever seen for Xbox Live Gold is 12+1.

If you wind up with a straight 12-monther, it means you got an old Live card from the last generation. It'll still work fine with Xbox Live Gold, it's just a month shorter is all.

Drake
01-19-2009, 10:46 PM
This thread will reach like 16 pages and receive regular support posts for like 9 solid months, and Jon will have actually made his vendor decision and ordered the card within the first 15 minutes.

Drake
01-19-2009, 10:47 PM
dola...

Meanwhile, Ctown is still trying to decide whether or not to call.

JonInMiddleGA
01-19-2009, 10:48 PM
This thread will reach like 16 pages and receive regular support posts for like 9 solid months, and Jon will have actually made his vendor decision and ordered the card within the first 15 minutes.

And 8 months later someone will ask if anyone here has ever heard of newegg.com ;)

Drake
01-19-2009, 10:52 PM
We are nothing if not predictable.

JonInMiddleGA
01-28-2009, 09:12 AM
Well color me spectacularly unimpressed on my first experience. Most bizarro shipping process I've ever encountered.

While ordering I see a note in their details/faq/shipping info somewhere that says "we do not ship to PO Boxes". Cool, as that is typically code for "we use UPS or FedEx or whomever". I give them my street address, figure we're all set.

Not cool, since that's not what these guys do :(

They pay DHL to deliver packages to the post office, and USPS then delivers ... only to the street. That's problematic since I don't take street delivery but have a PO Box.

Paying DHL (of all people) to deliver packages to the post office & then paying the post office to deliver the package to the customer may be the single fucking stupidest shipping policy I've ever heard of.

I'm now approaching my 20th minute on hold in order to try to unfuck this, most likely to just end up cancelling if I can ever actually reach a human fucking being instead of listening every 30 seconds to the repeat on the hold system trying to drive me to the website.

edit to add: The order will, happily, automatically cancel soon as it returns to the warehouse. Through the broken English of the customer service phone op, I manage to get that the DHL plan was a "new test program" that was being tried out ... we were in agreement on how well that seems to be going. Was pretty obvious that this was not the first problem the phone op had encountered with this deal.

I just hope whatever moron thought that was actually a good plan find themselves unemployed p.d.q. and even more importantly doesn't breed.

gstelmack
01-28-2009, 09:18 AM
In a lot of cases, the USPS seems to be hiring folks to do part of their shipping. I've had things shipped "USPS" that UPS actually picked up and delivered to my local post office. Not sure if that's NewEgg or not.

I'm not clear on your PO Box / Street address thing. Since they say they don't ship to a PO Box, and you gave them a street address, what's the problem with them delivering to the street address again?

JonInMiddleGA
01-28-2009, 09:24 AM
I'm not clear on your PO Box / Street address thing. Since they say they don't ship to a PO Box, and you gave them a street address, what's the problem with them delivering to the street address again?

Don't feel bad, took me several readings of their convoluted shipping info to figure it out myself.

They pay DHL to pick up & deliver to the local post office.

The local post office then delivers but only to a street address ... which we don't receive mail at (got a PO box & stopped street delivery since the previous homeowner detailed numerous problems with checks & other mail being stolen from the mailbox on the street).

edit to add: The biggest problem with all this is that they fail to make it clear that they're using USPS for delivery on all standard shipping, instead going so far as sending a DHL tracking number for the package upon shipping. If I had known that ahead of time then I would have been able to anticipate the problem and probably just avoid the order altogether. Instead, my card will be dinged $40 until whenever they see fit to finally issue the refund.

And before anybody wonders or asks, changing the shipping method (to something like 3rd day UPS & resending) is not an option I'm told, as they cannot change the address or the shipping method once an order is placed. The only option to actually get the card from them would have been to place a brand new order & pay for a higher shipping level ... and there was a better chance of Hell freezing over than of me doing that while holding only a vague promise of " a refund will be issued sometime after the first package is received back at our warehouse".

Rich1033
01-28-2009, 09:34 AM
Many times, when it may be a semi difficult delivery for that shipping company, they will instead pay another company to complete the shipment. This is really not all that uncommon and works out cheaper for them. I really dont think Newegg had anything to do with that process. However, using DHL in the first place does open them up to some problems.

I honestly cant remember if most off the stuff I have ordered through Newegg shipped DHL or not. I know at least a few came UPS.

Also, not that it changes anything, but these problems seem very out of the norm for newegg.

[edit- well nevermind, looks like I misunderstood a bit]

Taur
01-28-2009, 09:43 AM
Sorry, I have 1 vote against NewEgg's customer service, or return policy.

ViewSonic would not honor a $50 rebate bacause they said the monitor I purchased from NewEgg was used and it's serial number had already been used for a previous rebate.

NewEgg would not help me because it was over 30 days and they do not give refunds on monitors anyway. They sold me a "NEW" monitor that had been used by someone else!

Check out this NON refundable return policy.

Return Policies

This item is covered by Newegg.com's LCD Limited Non-Refundable 30-Day Return Policy.

* Return for refund within: non-refundable
* Return for replacement within: 30 days
* There must be a minimum of 8 dead pixels to declare an LCD display defective and eligible for return.

This means, if you buy and item that has "LCD Limited Non-Refundable 30-Day Return Policy" your fucked for a refund, even if it is 100% NewEggs fault.

BTW, My 26" monitor works like a dream and had no dead pixels. I was just upset about getting stiffed for $50.

Tasan
01-28-2009, 09:43 AM
Thats odd. I've only ever received packages from them via UPS in my 25+ orders I've made with them. Sorry about your shipping problems there.

hrm just checked, I don't even get a non-Fedex or UPS option from them. Guess thats why.

Tasan
01-28-2009, 09:46 AM
NewEgg would not help me because it was over 30 days and they do not give refunds on monitors anyway. They sold me a "NEW" monitor that had been used by someone else!

That may not be entirely true, people have been scamming rebates for a long time by generating their own serials, etc. Newegg should have gone the extra mile for you on this, but you probably drew the unlucky card on that one.

JonInMiddleGA
01-28-2009, 09:48 AM
I don't even get a non-Fedex or UPS option from them. Guess thats why.

Neither did I actually, just some vague wording about "standard shipping" or something to that effect. The lack of detail + "no PO Boxes" I took to be like every other time in my life I'd seen that combination: we'll be sending it by UPS, FedEx, or whoever else has a truck that the cheapest.

Live & learn, just more aggravating than anything else.

DaddyTorgo
01-28-2009, 09:54 AM
you want to talk about aggrivated?

i ordered a new battery for my cellphone. got a notification that it shipped on *runs to look* THURSDAY. Selected 2-day FedEx shipping (and paid the extra $15). It hadn't arrived by yesterday - by my count that'd be 3 days (friday/monday/tuesday, and that's assuming it didn't ship thursday morning). WTF!!! I'm bout to fuck some people up!

edit: I tracked the package and it says it was delivered on the 26th and left at the front door. now i don't live in a high-crime area at all, i'm wondering wtf is going on

DaddyTorgo
01-28-2009, 10:29 AM
dola

and apparently it's been sitting there the whole time (the package is just REALLY tiny).

i hope cellphone batteries aren't harmed by excessive cold. that'd suck.

Senator
01-28-2009, 10:30 AM
I am a fiscally tight bastard. Getting money out of me is next to impossible. They say you can't take it with you. I am taking it with me.

For 4 years my wife has asked for a flat screen TV for the living room and library. I kept putting it off saying the prices are too high. But last week newegg had a 24 hour deal - 50 inch and 42 inch Toshiba LCD 1080p for 1499 shipping free. I pulled the trigger and they were here in 2 days, setup and ready for the super bowl.

No dealing with salesmen whose job is to get extra commission by beating me down with extras. I love it.

Now, I would have never done this had I not purchased in November a PC from Newegg that handles high end video editing. That PC works like a dream.

I only go there for my electronic stuff until they prove otherwise.

Daimyo
01-28-2009, 11:42 AM
So to sum up...

Newegg clearly states they don't deliver to PO Boxes
You placed an order to be delivered to a PO Box (apparently somehow masked by USPS so as to look like a street address)
There is a problem with delivery

Did I miss something?

Rizon
01-28-2009, 12:36 PM
I buy from newegg all the time and have been for years. Never had a problem.

JonInMiddleGA
01-28-2009, 01:44 PM
So to sum up...

Newegg clearly states they don't deliver to PO Boxes
You placed an order to be delivered to a PO Box (apparently somehow masked by USPS so as to look like a street address)
There is a problem with delivery

Did I miss something?

When you don't tell me that you're using USPS (and give the most common clue that you aren't going to use them) & I give you a street address, why would I think you're going to ship via the one carrier that won't bring it to that street address?

I've had the identical circumstance in two residences now for more than a decade, not a single time has this scenario ever come up. I'm married to a (recovering) eBayholic who kept both USPS & UPS hopping for years, never had a incident of this sort. I've definitely never gotten tracking info from one carrier and had a different carrier end up as the delivery source of the package, so there was no prior indication in the process until the very end when the delivery suddenly fails.

To be clear though, my frustration is the poor lack of explanation during the ordering process about the convoluted shipping manner they employ, not the manner itself. I'd have considered them idiots but that ultimately their business not mine. I could have avoided the entire mess and a half hour of holding for and struggling with a nice enough but ESL operator if they just managed not to make things quite as fuzzy on the front end.

jeff061
01-28-2009, 01:50 PM
I would have put money down on jimg being the guy to buck the trend and find some way to not be satisfied.

JonInMiddleGA
01-28-2009, 01:56 PM
I would have put money down on jimg being the guy to buck the trend and find some way to not be satisfied.

You'd lose that money more often than not though, I think I'm one of the more generous to the retailer guys here (i.e. I think I make allowances for a good bit of the things that seem to drive a lot of people here kind of crazy).

Honolulu_Blue
01-28-2009, 02:26 PM
Newegg.com is great. Great prices. Super-fast shipping. I have never had an issue with them.

path12
01-28-2009, 03:36 PM
Never had a problem with newegg. Used them probably a dozen times over the past few years. I'd be pissed with an experience like Jon had as well though.

dwardzala
01-29-2009, 11:01 AM
Sorry, I have 1 vote against NewEgg's customer service, or return policy.

ViewSonic would not honor a $50 rebate bacause they said the monitor I purchased from NewEgg was used and it's serial number had already been used for a previous rebate.

Check out this NON refundable return policy.

This means, if you buy and item that has "LCD Limited Non-Refundable 30-Day Return Policy" your fucked for a refund, even if it is 100% NewEggs fault.

BTW, My 26" monitor works like a dream and had no dead pixels. I was just upset about getting stiffed for $50.

More likely, View Sonic's rebate processor is not being honest, because every $ they don't have to pay out in rebates is a $ they get to keep.

The return policy is to make sure that someone doesn't buy an LCD display for the "big game"/gaming party only to return it after the event. A lot of retailers try to protect themselves from this.

Eaglesfan27
01-29-2009, 11:33 AM
Now, I would have never done this had I not purchased in November a PC from Newegg that handles high end video editing. That PC works like a dream.

I only go there for my electronic stuff until they prove otherwise.

Does Newegg sell completely put together PC's? If so, are they a decent deal generally? I've heard so many good things about Newegg and am in the market for a new PC in a year or so, but am worried that if I try to put one together, I'll mess something up.

gstelmack
01-29-2009, 11:40 AM
Does Newegg sell completely put together PC's? If so, are they a decent deal generally? I've heard so many good things about Newegg and am in the market for a new PC in a year or so, but am worried that if I try to put one together, I'll mess something up.

Newegg.com - Desktop PCs, Desktop PC Computers, Cheap Desktop PCs, HP Desktop PC, Cheap Desktop Computer (http://www.newegg.com/Store/SubCategory.aspx?SubCategory=10&name=Desktop-PCs)

They're selling HP, Gateway, etc.

Eaglesfan27
01-29-2009, 11:56 AM
Thanks. That deal they have on the HP Blackbird is better than I've seen at other places and I always thought they were parts only so I never went to their website before.

Senator
01-29-2009, 01:13 PM

Yes, I hung around and got a heck of a deal - even threw in the a 26 inch monitor that I love. Make sure you sign up for the daily deal - you get an email with the deals they are offering. That is how I got my TV's and PC. It is the only piece of advertising email I allow in my inbox.

Eaglesfan27
01-29-2009, 01:20 PM
Yes, I hung around and got a heck of a deal - even threw in the a 26 inch monitor that I love. Make sure you sign up for the daily deal - you get an email with the deals they are offering. That is how I got my TV's and PC. It is the only piece of advertising email I allow in my inbox.

Thanks. I'll be sure to sign up for that when I get home tonight.