PDA

View Full Version : Web hosting

samifan24
01-19-2009, 11:01 PM
Can anyone recommend a web hosting company from personal experience?

I've heard good things about smaller companies like Dreamhost (although they did just pull a bait-and-switch on new customers with an advertised New Year's deal) and mixed things about the ubiquitous GoDaddy. I'd like to purchase hosting and a domain so I can transfer my personal Wordpress.com blog over to a custom domain and a great looking, free site design I found. I saw some of the older threads here but they were more specific. I'm just looking for some basic hosting. I don't need anything fancy and I would prefer a company that allows very simple Wordpress integration. Any recommendations?

DaddyTorgo
01-19-2009, 11:04 PM
hrmmm doesn't dangarion do webhosting? see his sig

DanGarion
01-20-2009, 12:26 AM
I don't do webhosting, but I'm a big fan of Dreamhost, that's who I've used for well over 3 years now. What bait and switch are you talking about, I haven't heard anything about them doing that.

samifan24
01-20-2009, 08:15 AM
Dreamhost advertised a special deal for New Year's and then changed the price halfway through after they got slammed because Lifehacker picked up on the dea (http://lifehacker.com/5122758/new-years-deal-get-24-months-of-hosting-%252B-domain-for-11)l. I have heard good things about them but doing this sort of thing to customers makes me wary.

DanGarion
01-20-2009, 09:25 AM
Dreamhost advertised a special deal for New Year's and then changed the price halfway through after they got slammed because Lifehacker picked up on the dea (http://lifehacker.com/5122758/new-years-deal-get-24-months-of-hosting-%252B-domain-for-11)l. I have heard good things about them but doing this sort of thing to customers makes me wary.

Personally I can't blame a company for changing their mind on a deal if they get slammed. *shrug*

I've never had my plan change since I've been a customer.

samifan24
01-20-2009, 09:29 AM
Personally I can't blame a company for changing their mind on a deal if they get slammed. *shrug*

I do. What did they want to happen? You don't advertise one price and then change the price and the terms halfway through because too many people are taking advantage of the offer. If the company wasn't happy with the initial terms, they never should have offered them.

Like I said, I've heard some other good things about Dreamhost but for now I'll stay away from them.

DanGarion
01-20-2009, 09:33 AM
So you want them to over extend themselves and go out of business because of over selling a product? Or for their service to deteriorate because now they have had to add an additional 50 users per server.

Now what they should have done is said it was available for a limited time and not put a specific stop date.

RendeR
01-20-2009, 11:38 AM
I use webhostingbuzz.com

don't let the name put you off, they're solid hosting services, I've had 2 10 minute outages in 5-6 years now.

They offer multiple plans for whatever your needs are, mine is a basic budget plan 60 bucks a year for 3 gig of storage unlimited pretty much everything. There is a monthly bandwidth limit but its in the 10's of gigs per month. I've never come close to hitting it.

JonInMiddleGA
01-20-2009, 01:01 PM
FWIW, I've used websitesource.com for several years with no gripes and good customer service on the couple of occasions I've needed their help with something. I've recommended them to several people and had some thank-yous with no complaints either.

Scarecrow
01-20-2009, 02:36 PM
I've always used totalchoicehosting.com because a) they're cheap and b) you pay by the quarter (lowest plan is $12/quarter).

cartman
01-20-2009, 02:44 PM
I've been real happy with 1and1. I have both a Linux hosting plan and a Microsoft hosting plan. Their rates start at $5/mo.

johneh
01-20-2009, 02:53 PM
If you don't need a ton of storage space & bandwidth try e-rice.net.
Low prices & good service.

samifan24
01-20-2009, 10:24 PM
So you want them to over extend themselves and go out of business because of over selling a product?

Now what they should have done is said it was available for a limited time and not put a specific stop date.

No, I want them to honor their stated sale. I would be okay with what they did if they announced that it was only available for a limited time but they did not do that.

Autumn
01-20-2009, 10:37 PM
I've used TotalChoice for some time as well, they've been fine and dealt with any problems.