PDA

View Full Version : Would you be interested in this "game"?

Shaun Sullivan
01-20-2009, 09:49 AM
I am looking into building a program that would let you see a replay of a real game that took place at some point in history.

The game would be played out with Basic text sim level UI and play by play (Basic ball flight etc.) If you have seen PureSim Baseball's in game UI, it would be similar to that.

So it is not a game per se, but more a tool to let you "watch" games from history play out. Would that be interesting to any of you?

Comments?

Senator
01-20-2009, 09:51 AM
Actually, it does perk my interest.

Interested to know how these games are loaded, and if they are limited to just pro games.

MikeVic
01-20-2009, 09:59 AM
Hmm, to see the 1992 and 1993 World Series, maybe.

PadresFan104
01-20-2009, 10:52 AM
Shaun - Good to hear from you. No, I can't say that this idea would be interesting to me. The only way I would enjoy watching a past game would be the actual audio and/or video.

Axxon
01-20-2009, 11:53 AM
Actually, it does perk my interest.

Interested to know how these games are loaded, and if they are limited to just pro games.

Sadly it didn't pique your interest though.

Axxon
01-20-2009, 11:54 AM
dola, I'd be interested in this as an add on to a baseball game but by itself, I'm not sure I'd like it that much. Allow it to replay real games and games in your game universe then that's intriguing.

DaddyTorgo
01-20-2009, 12:07 PM
yeah - if it was an add-on part for sure. I don't think I could see paying for it as a standalone product though, unless the cost was relatively minor (say under $10) and then it would depend on the availability of games.

hypothetically say it was using publicly-available game-data so you could use it to "replay" a game that you didn't get a chance to watch on tv that was recent also? then i'm down with paying say $10 more for the game for that. Just don't know that as a standalone product I'd ever find enough use for it to make me drop cash on it individually.

does that make sense?

JPhillips
01-20-2009, 12:12 PM
I would love a product like this attached to box scores. We're still basically living off the same info as they did in the 20s.

Izulde
01-20-2009, 12:16 PM
Shaun - Good to hear from you. No, I can't say that this idea would be interesting to me. The only way I would enjoy watching a past game would be the actual audio and/or video.

+1

Shaun Sullivan
01-20-2009, 12:23 PM
yeah - if it was an add-on part for sure. I don't think I could see paying for it as a standalone product though, unless the cost was relatively minor (say under $10) and then it would depend on the availability of games.

hypothetically say it was using publicly-available game-data so you could use it to "replay" a game that you didn't get a chance to watch on tv that was recent also? then i'm down with paying say $10 more for the game for that. Just don't know that as a standalone product I'd ever find enough use for it to make me drop cash on it individually.

does that make sense?

Yes, it makes a lot of sense, and this sentiment is really what was driving me to post my question.

I was thinking the "game" itself could be like $9.99 and maybe a season's worth (maybe decade worth, not sure what the optimal size would be) of games could be purchased for a fee. Like maybe 1956 for $1.99 or something. Not sure, just thinking out loud.

I love how many good responses I get when I post stuff here.

Shaun

Young Drachma
01-20-2009, 12:36 PM
Hmm, to see the 1992 and 1993 World Series, maybe.

+1

But honestly, no. I can think of other things, but not this.

Young Drachma
01-20-2009, 12:37 PM
Hey, can we get a stadium constructor? Now that'd be awesome. I always thought a game would've added that by now.. Maybe a place to retire numbers...or to publish HTML faster to the web or print reports more cleanly so if you wanted to, you could pour over team stats and reports on a subway...

Oh you mean this isn't the place for that? Sorry. :)

RedKingGold
01-20-2009, 01:44 PM
Hell, I'd probably buy anything that was new and different.

The sport text-sim genre is pretty stale at the moment.

Lathum
01-20-2009, 01:49 PM
This really doesn't appeal to me. Just my .02

SirFozzie
01-20-2009, 01:50 PM
Nor I, really. For it to work, you'd have to work in the radio broadcast, so we can listen to it and "watch it" on the screen

BYU 14
01-20-2009, 01:51 PM
I would love that, if it was open ended and modules could be added to continually expand it. I would like a visual experience, like Puresim or WWSM provides, but I think audio commentary would really put it over the top.

Who wouldn't love to watch and listen to the 1908 Merkle game or be there for the Babes 60th or Jackie Robinson's first game. This could be the next best thing.

KWhit
01-20-2009, 01:58 PM
Wouldn't really appeal to me.

stevew
01-20-2009, 02:20 PM
Not something that would interest me.

AgustusM
01-20-2009, 03:02 PM
for me this is to passive of a concept. the appeal of the text sim genre, and really all gaming is to have my input and control.

Young Drachma
01-20-2009, 03:21 PM
Nor I, really. For it to work, you'd have to work in the radio broadcast, so we can listen to it and "watch it" on the screen

+1 on the radio broadcast element. Not for this, just in general. That'd be amazing.

I know, I know. EA hasn't called yet.

MikeVic
01-20-2009, 03:22 PM
for me this is to passive of a concept. the appeal of the text sim genre, and really all gaming is to have my input and control.

Not sure how possible this is, but something like What If Sports, but being able to take control of choices anywhere in the game, then simming what happens after? So, you take a pitcher out in the 5th instead of the 6th, or pinch hit for this guy at this situation...

SirFozzie
01-20-2009, 03:26 PM
+1 on the radio broadcast element. Not for this, just in general. That'd be amazing.

I know, I know. EA hasn't called yet.

Dark Cloud, Have you ever played APBA Broadcast Blast? It had Ernie Harwell calling your games, like it was a game on the radio. It was slightly disjointed (it was new in 1997, when CD-Roms were gee-whiz technology!), but it took me more into the game then any game since, including the joystick games now ruling the roost, even MLB the Show, for example

The good news is:

In February, 2007 The APBA Game Company announced that they have acquired the rights to the Baseball for Windows code, which was held by a third party. APBA had planned an upgrade to be released in the fall of 2008, featuring the voice of Pete Van Wieren replacing Ernie Harwell. Unexpected complications in game development, as well as errors in the code that had gone long unrepaired, delayed the release. Current release schedule is for Spring 2009.

SirFozzie
01-20-2009, 03:34 PM
Dola with future thoughts:

Seriously Shaun: While I have some reservations about the APBA code (I think today's sims are miles ahead of the APBA engine), for immersion purposes, Broadcast Blast, even 12 years old, blows away any game currently on the market (it admittedly doesn't hurt that it has a Hall of Famer like Ernie Harwell calling the game, mind you).

It'd probably NOT be a huge money maker, But I would love someone to marry the two (the text-sim engine of a Pure Sim/OOTP) with the immersion of a radio broadcast ala Broadcast Blast. It would be my one and only game, really.

I don't want graphics of some guy running to the wall, jumping and making a fantastic catch as much I want to hear the crack of the bat, and hear an announcer say:

....swung on, belted... it's a long one... back goes Gionfriddo, back, back, back, back, back, back... heeee makes a one-handed catch against the bullpen! Oh, Doctor!"

My mind has infinitely better graphics then the best TV could ever provide.

Young Drachma
01-20-2009, 03:35 PM
Well that coupled with the other baseball game and it should be a nice winter before the season starts. I'd love some other baseball options.

stevew
01-20-2009, 05:23 PM
The APBA thing got me wondering. Would it be feasible for a Solecismic or ootp to license one of the abandoned graphical games like NFL Fever or High Heat and use the display engine in conjunction with their superior player development and results
engine.

Sgran
01-21-2009, 08:16 AM
can't say this appeals to me, although I also can't say I'm 100% sure I understand what the allure is supposed to be. Is it just to watch the Cubs collapse happen play by play in 1969?

Senator
01-21-2009, 12:49 PM
Sadly it didn't pique your interest though.

We don't say that where I am from.

Buccaneer
01-21-2009, 06:50 PM
I can read a play-by-play of every MLB game back to 1956 on baseball-reference. For the NFL, there is enough DVDs from NFL Films to last a lifetime of viewing.

Dutch
01-21-2009, 07:14 PM
Shaun,

I was hoping for a career-based baseball text-sim with basic player animations and ball-flight physics. I was hoping you were making that!

A replay engine would be a nice addition, but not a stand-alone product I'd find overly interesting.

SFL Cat
01-21-2009, 09:49 PM
A nice option as part of a larger sim game, but no interest in it as a stand-alone product.

Godzilla Blitz
01-26-2009, 12:13 PM
Yeah, I can't imagine I'd be interested in this. Sorry.