PDA

View Full Version : For Seth (gottimd)...

Cuckoo
01-21-2009, 03:11 PM
The NAFL and I are putting together a memorial for Seth Gottesmann (gottimd), my Co-Commissioner and a longtime friend of FOFC. If you don't already know, he passed away (http://operationsports.com/fofc/showpost.php?p=1917742&postcount=134) just before Christmas.

Both his mother and his wife have expressed interest in reading any posts he made, either on our forum or here. So that will be a significant part of the memorial. Members of the NAFL are already digging through posts over there, but I wanted to invite anyone interested here to do the same for FOFC.

In addition, I plan on including notes from those of us who knew him or were touched by him, from comments posted after his passing became known to any other thoughts/stories for the family. If you have anything to share such as a note to the family or a story of an experience with Seth, please post those here or e-mail me at [email protected]

Logan
01-21-2009, 06:07 PM
I didn't know Seth very well, but I think this is a great idea and hope some people here are willing to do some legwork. I don't doubt it of course...

DaddyTorgo
01-21-2009, 06:21 PM
I mentioned this very idea already in the other thread some days ago. If nobody else is willing to put the time into it I'd be happy to look into it and do it.

Honolulu_Blue
01-21-2009, 07:38 PM
I'd be willing to help. I know he posted a lot in the "Heroes" threads. I could gather and filted those. It's pretty mundane stuff, but at least it's something.

DaddyTorgo
01-21-2009, 07:44 PM
i was thinking, couldn't one just hit up his profile, show all posts by him and then idk if you can download those to a text file, or what can be done.

Honolulu_Blue
01-21-2009, 07:46 PM
Not sure. That's slightly beyond my limited technical capabilities.

DaddyTorgo
01-21-2009, 07:49 PM
there's not a way to DL them that I can tell - unless there's some way for a mod to do something like that.

but he's got 6k-odd posts - 126 pages.

hopefully we can get say a dozen people to go through ~10 pages each and copy/paste out his response and link to whatever thread it is (for context?)

I'm open to discussion of how we want to do this.

Schmidty
01-22-2009, 02:05 AM
:(

I missed the news in the original thread.

I don't cry often, but I can't help it this time.

God bless him and his family. I pray that the baby is born healthy.

wade moore
01-22-2009, 04:54 AM
there's not a way to DL them that I can tell - unless there's some way for a mod to do something like that.

but he's got 6k-odd posts - 126 pages.

hopefully we can get say a dozen people to go through ~10 pages each and copy/paste out his response and link to whatever thread it is (for context?)

I'm open to discussion of how we want to do this.

Yeah, and the problem is even the "view other posts" option doesn't display the full text. Only method I know is the old-fashioned way.

cooleyvol
01-22-2009, 05:51 AM
I think I'd copy/paste them all (lots of work, but worth it) into a PDF file. Probably would end up being huge, but still worth the work.

Ben E Lou
01-22-2009, 06:48 AM
I can probably grab all of his posts directly from the database in one fell swoop. Let me do some checking this evening.

wade moore
01-22-2009, 06:57 AM
I can probably grab all of his posts directly from the database in one fell swoop. Let me do some checking this evening.

BRILLIANT!

DaddyTorgo
01-22-2009, 08:18 AM

I was hoping to hear this. Just think it'd be wonderful for his family, and especially in the future for the kid, because maybe it'll provide some bits of knowledge that make the kid feel closer to Seth. :) Jokes, or favorite movies, or whatever.

DaddyTorgo
01-23-2009, 09:40 AM
bumpity

any luck Ben?

Ben E Lou
01-23-2009, 09:43 AM
bumpity

any luck Ben?I did some investigation, and it's extremely easy to do. I'm just waiting on getting the vbulletin database login info from the OS guys now. I'll set it up as a php page with all of his posts, and they'll be linked to the thread containing them for context.

DaddyTorgo
01-23-2009, 09:44 AM
I did some investigation, and it's extremely easy to do. I'm just waiting on getting the vbulletin database login info from the OS guys now. I'll set it up as a php page with all of his posts, and they'll be linked to the thread containing them for context.

Wow. That's awesome!!! :D

Crim
01-24-2009, 11:37 PM
Yeah great stuff Ben, thanks for doing that!

EagleFan
01-25-2009, 12:03 AM
I did some investigation, and it's extremely easy to do. I'm just waiting on getting the vbulletin database login info from the OS guys now. I'll set it up as a php page with all of his posts, and they'll be linked to the thread containing them for context.

Awesome.

It's amazing what can be done via the internet now, with people leaving their own "digital legacy".

EagleFan
01-25-2009, 12:09 AM
dola:

Although, something like this could have negative consequences as well. How many of us have posted things here either in jest or at times of anger (either of something here of just that they were in a bad mood due to RL situations and it crept into what they post)? I know there are some things on here thatI would not want family and friends reading out of context (not just out of context of the thread but out of context of the time period).

DaddyTorgo
01-25-2009, 12:30 AM
not me! i've always known that the NSA is monitoring all my internet usage, so i would never do that

DaddyTorgo
01-25-2009, 12:31 AM
dola

and all of my internet alter-ego's are completely unconnected to each other

Crim
01-25-2009, 12:40 AM
dola:

Although, something like this could have negative consequences as well. How many of us have posted things here either in jest or at times of anger (either of something here of just that they were in a bad mood due to RL situations and it crept into what they post)? I know there are some things on here thatI would not want family and friends reading out of context (not just out of context of the thread but out of context of the time period).

Don't worry about it, EF, you can blame all the bad stuff on the "other" EagleFan(27) on this board.

Speaking of which, I need someone to register as Crim27 please.

Ben E Lou
01-27-2009, 03:13 AM
OK. Login info received overnight. I'll do the page now.

Ben E Lou
01-27-2009, 03:42 AM
Heh. It's timing out due to too many posts. I'll have to build something to view them a page at a time. This won't be quite as fast as I thought, but I suspect I'll get it done at some point today still.

Ben E Lou
01-27-2009, 06:54 AM
CSV attached.

http://www.frontofficefootballcentral.com/gottimd.php

Y'all let me know if I can/should do something with formatting of the page. It's just very spartan now.

Eaglesfan27
01-27-2009, 07:51 AM
Don't worry about it, EF, you can blame all the bad stuff on the "other" EagleFan(27) on this board.

Speaking of which, I need someone to register as Crim27 please.

Don't be blaming me, EF!

Great job, Ben. I'll leave any formatting suggestions to people better than me at that. Even with anything that might have been slightly off-color (which I don't remember ever seeing from Gottimd), I'm sure his family will view it in a positive light.

DaddyTorgo
01-27-2009, 08:08 AM
Wow - great job Ben. I'm sure that having a little piece of Seth around in this way will be appreciated by his family.