PDA

View Full Version : Anyone ever teach English overseas?

kserra
01-21-2009, 07:07 PM
I'm taking my TESOL classes online and am also going to get a certificate for Business English with the idea of spending a year abroad while teaching...

Just curious what your experiences were if you did in fact do this... thanks.

Kevin

Danny
01-21-2009, 07:32 PM
overseas? Like in a plane while flying over one?

cartman
01-21-2009, 07:51 PM
I bought my Italian and German co-workers "English as a Second F*cking Language: How to Swear Effectively, Explained in Detail with Numerous Examples Taken From Everyday Life".

It really improved their handling of the English language.

JonInMiddleGA
01-21-2009, 08:10 PM
I bought my Italian and German co-workers "English as a Second F*cking Language: How to Swear Effectively, Explained in Detail with Numerous Examples Taken From Everyday Life".

It really improved their handling of the English language.

Out of curiosity, did they pick up the sequel Watch Your F*cking Language" (http://us.macmillan.com/watchyourfckinglanguage) ? And if so, did they f*cking enjoy it as well?

cartman
01-21-2009, 08:24 PM
Ah, that one came out after I was already back in the US.

Galaril
01-21-2009, 09:10 PM
I'm taking my TESOL classes online and am also going to get a certificate for Business English with the idea of spending a year abroad while teaching...

Kevin

I lived over seas in Asia Japan and Korea and knew a bunch of teachers over there. It pays alright I guess and you get to see the world but they treat you like shit the managers of the business.

Autumn
01-21-2009, 10:21 PM
My sister did that in Taiwan for a number of years. The main thing I could see was that even though she was there with her husband and there were a number of other foreign teachers there, it was very lonely. They ended up having to make a visit back to the States that they hadn't planned on because of that. And that then put them behind enough on their financial plans that they had to stay longer. It was really tough on them and they felt like they were in a real bind. So, I would recommend taking that into consideration in order to make realistic plans. They should have planned on a shorter stay I think and seen if that would make sense financially.

MrDNA
01-21-2009, 10:23 PM
I taught English in Mexico for a year, although technically I did not have to cross any seas to get there. Not a good place to do it if you're in it for the money, but experience wise it was amazing and I think I broke even (not bad for all the traveling around I did). I have a friend who did it for three years in Japan and really enjoyed it. She also made a LOT more money than I did. But the Mexican food over there isn't as good, so, you make your choices.

CU Tiger
01-21-2009, 10:31 PM
I did for a semester in college.
In Shang 'Hai...has its advantages for a young single guy otherise not worth the time.

StLee
01-22-2009, 12:23 AM

Kevin

I currently live in Korea and teach at a university. I also taught at an academy before I started at the university. I saw someone who said that managers "treat you like shit" is not quite accurate. I have had a very rewarding experience at both places I worked, and have never once been treated "like shit."

My first bit of advice is to set what your goals are. If you want to save money while teaching abroad, then do it right. Most people I come across say they want to save money, but some just don't do it because they don't know how, I guess.

The second bit of advice is to do your homework. If you're getting a TESOL certification, you're probably looking for a higher end job (not that there is a huge difference in what you'll be paid as a fresh teacher out here). Research the companies that you are looking to possibly work for. Know what kind of job you want. If you go through a recruiter, you're more likely to get an academy job. Depending on the country, that could be good or bad. If you're looking for a public school job, then know what the good districts are and when classes start. Your company will be sponsoring your visa, so make sure you make the right decision because that company decides how your working experience can be and whether or not you can work in the country beyond the length of the visa, if, for instance, you decide to leave the company.

If you're looking to save money/pay off loans, remember that the economy around the world is struggling, not just in the U.S. Teaching abroad will not make you wealthy, but you can save a lot of money if you want. At current exchange rates, I am saving a hell of a lot more teaching here than I was in the U.S. (Note: I was an English instructor at the college level in the U.S.) If you limit your spending in smart ways, then you will do well. For one, it is important when it comes to food and drink to have a varied diet. What I mean is: eat the local food. In Korea, if you make trips to Western restaurants more than a couple of times a month, you will pay for it dearly. Western food is expensive here. If you can't foresee yourself liking the food of the country where you plan to live, then it can be very difficult for you financially. Western food, however, is abundant, though you can't get everything you want. Mexican food, for instance, is hard to find, but there are a few places. Fast food and restaurant chains are everywhere. I swear that McDonald's is taking over the world with their damned McD's at every corner philosophy. So you can eat Western food if you have a craving. Just be ready to pay.

As far as the cultural experience is concerned, that is an invaluable part of the situation, BUT (big BUT) only if you have an open mind. There is a variety of people who teach abroad, and the people who piss me off the most are the ones who judge their culture as being dominating to the way things are in the country where they're teaching. Don't substitute American or Western culture for the culture where you're living. Surprise! They are different and you will see many things done a lot differently than you or other people you know would do it. Sometimes it is annoying, but be able to chalk it up to the cultural experience and not some condemnation of the society like many foreigners do. Another thing that is a part of the culture is to learn at least a basic level of the country's language. I cannot speak Korean fluently, but I can ask for what I need. Don't worry. You'll probably find English speakers in places you go, especially if you work in a big city, like Seoul or Tokyo or Bangkok.

I hope some of this helps. If you need any other info, feel free to ask.

Sgran
01-22-2009, 02:57 AM
I agree with everything StLee said, especially about being humble in your new surroundings.
I taught English for two years when I first came to Hungary in the mid-90s, and then again for a year in 2000. Happy to answer any questions you might have. A lot depends on where you're planning on going and how long you plan to do it for. The TOEFL is good to have, but not a must in many countries. I highly recommend it, but you can get by without accreditation. Learning your craft is important and will make your life easier because you'll have lesson plans ready to go, which is much better than winging it.
Teaching English is a lot of work. The thing about teaching is that it's a lot like being on stage. in other words, you can't slack without peolpe noticing. It can be exhausting and the hours are unusual if you teach privately (which usually pays much better) because most people want lessons in the morning or in the evening.

Icy
01-22-2009, 04:10 AM
Another necessary thing i guess is to know the country language, for example if you come to Spain, you are going to need to speak some Spanish to teach English.

If they could underestand your English, probably they wouldn't need a teacher, unless you are teaching at a really high level and your students speak English already and just want to improve it (like college students or specializing on English for businessmen or IT men)

kserra
01-22-2009, 11:44 AM
Thanks for all the good comments.

I taught history for five years and served as a Dean of Students and Athletic Director for the past four years... so I've got decent experience, although none teaching a language.

I'm heading into this with a desire to take a year teaching abroad, experience another culture, and experience things that I will cherish for the rest of my life. After a bad divorce and suffering in the bust of the SW Florida real estate market, I think a year in a challenging situation could be just what the doctor ordered.

In terms of money, I just want to break even, bank enough to secure a place when I come back. I'm actually excited about enjoying local food... I'm not about to eat a cow's eye, but I'm willing to expand my horizons...

I spent a year in Austria, Czech Republic, and Hungary... I haven't decided if I want to experience Asia or Eastern Europe...

Kevin

kserra
01-22-2009, 11:45 AM
dola...

how many hours a week did you find yourself working, both in the classroom and doing lessons/grading assignments?

Comparison's to teaching in the states?

Sgran
01-22-2009, 02:02 PM
Eastern Europe isn't nearly as bohemian as it was, and it's fucking expensive these days. if i were you -- knowing that i was going back to the states in a year -- I'd hit somewhere radical, like Senegal or indonesia. If you're in Florida you probably forgot how crappy winters are in the north climes, but try to remember. go somewhere warm, like Goa, or Viet Nam.

hukarez
01-22-2009, 02:10 PM
I did for a semester in college.
In Shang 'Hai...has its advantages for a young single guy otherise not worth the time.

Hmm! Please, tell me more...!

ColtCrazy
01-23-2009, 06:40 PM
I spent 3 summers teaching at TASIS in England. I had originally applied for an English spot but ended up being the Director of the Summer Camp program instead. It was a fantastic experience. I only stopped because we are having more kids.

What did you want to know about the experience? I can't help with the class part but I can help with other parts of the overseas experience since I was in charge of a dorm, had duties, etc.

Galaril
01-24-2009, 09:32 AM
I currently live in Korea and teach at a university. I also taught at an academy before I started at the university. I saw someone who said that managers "treat you like shit" is not quite accurate. I have had a very rewarding experience at both places I worked, and have never once been treated "like shit."

My first bit of advice is to set what your goals are. If you want to save money while teaching abroad, then do it right. Most people I come across say they want to save money, but some just don't do it because they don't know how, I guess.

The second bit of advice is to do your homework. If you're getting a TESOL certification, you're probably looking for a higher end job (not that there is a huge difference in what you'll be paid as a fresh teacher out here). Research the companies that you are looking to possibly work for. Know what kind of job you want. If you go through a recruiter, you're more likely to get an academy job. Depending on the country, that could be good or bad. If you're looking for a public school job, then know what the good districts are and when classes start. Your company will be sponsoring your visa, so make sure you make the right decision because that company decides how your working experience can be and whether or not you can work in the country beyond the length of the visa, if, for instance, you decide to leave the company.

If you're looking to save money/pay off loans, remember that the economy around the world is struggling, not just in the U.S. Teaching abroad will not make you wealthy, but you can save a lot of money if you want. At current exchange rates, I am saving a hell of a lot more teaching here than I was in the U.S. (Note: I was an English instructor at the college level in the U.S.) If you limit your spending in smart ways, then you will do well. For one, it is important when it comes to food and drink to have a varied diet. What I mean is: eat the local food. In Korea, if you make trips to Western restaurants more than a couple of times a month, you will pay for it dearly. Western food is expensive here. If you can't foresee yourself liking the food of the country where you plan to live, then it can be very difficult for you financially. Western food, however, is abundant, though you can't get everything you want. Mexican food, for instance, is hard to find, but there are a few places. Fast food and restaurant chains are everywhere. I swear that McDonald's is taking over the world with their damned McD's at every corner philosophy. So you can eat Western food if you have a craving. Just be ready to pay.

As far as the cultural experience is concerned, that is an invaluable part of the situation, BUT (big BUT) only if you have an open mind. There is a variety of people who teach abroad, and the people who piss me off the most are the ones who judge their culture as being dominating to the way things are in the country where they're teaching. Don't substitute American or Western culture for the culture where you're living. Surprise! They are different and you will see many things done a lot differently than you or other people you know would do it. Sometimes it is annoying, but be able to chalk it up to the cultural experience and not some condemnation of the society like many foreigners do. Another thing that is a part of the culture is to learn at least a basic level of the country's language. I cannot speak Korean fluently, but I can ask for what I need. Don't worry. You'll probably find English speakers in places you go, especially if you work in a big city, like Seoul or Tokyo or Bangkok.

I hope some of this helps. If you need any other info, feel free to ask.

All I will say as far as Korea goes I would not recommend it. I had a few personal friends who were treated not so well by their "Hagwon" owners. If you are a "Kyopo" Korean born out side of Korea and go teach in Korea you are treated well but if you are a non Korean foreigner generally you will be viewed as a "hired gun" and people in general think really poorly of English Teachers in society. Japan is better. Also, I spoke to a friend who is teaching now and he said a average salary is $2500-3000 plus housing (so-so quality usually) YMMV.

stevew
01-24-2009, 02:15 PM
I believe Wignifty did but I don't think he's able to post here about his experiences. :)