PDA

View Full Version : Lie to me on Fox

FrogMan
01-21-2009, 08:19 PM
searched for a thread, didn't find one.

Anybody gonna watch this? I'm recording it and will watch it in 45 minutes with my wife. Very interested in it, especially with Tim Roth in the main role.

here's a link for anybody who'd never hear about it:
FOX Broadcasting Company: LIE TO ME (http://www.fox.com/programming/shows/new/lie_to_me.htm)

FM

Drake
01-21-2009, 08:29 PM
I'm watching it right now.

Drake
The post above is a lie.

Drake
So is the post previous to this one.

Drake
01-21-2009, 08:31 PM
In all seriousness, this show terrifies me, because I just fucking know that my wife is going to pull this television psychobabble on me and constantly tell me I'm lying because she saw my exact expression on an episode of this show.

Danny
01-21-2009, 08:32 PM
In actuality, even lie experts like those in the CIA are only accurate about 56% of the time as opposed to most of us around 50%.

Radii
01-21-2009, 08:35 PM
I'm DVR'ing it.

Drake
01-21-2009, 08:49 PM
When your wives divorce you because of this show, you will rue this day.

Rue it, I say!

Raiders Army
01-21-2009, 08:50 PM
It sounds like a Mentalist ripoff. We have a bunch of episodes of the Mentalist on our DVR, so we're not bothering to record this.

sterlingice
01-21-2009, 09:05 PM
It sounds like a Mentalist ripoff. We have a bunch of episodes of the Mentalist on our DVR, so we're not bothering to record this.

Which is a ripoff, of course, of Psych...

SI

ISiddiqui
01-21-2009, 09:32 PM
I liked the show. It was pretty well done.

And, oh yes, the Mentalist is a complete ripoff of Psych... but not funny. So I don't watch it.

stevew
01-21-2009, 09:36 PM
Lie to me and tell me it will get more than 2 seasons. Then maybe I will pay attention to anything on FOX

RendeR
01-21-2009, 10:02 PM
Seriously, WTF are the networks paying people to write these days? TV sucks ass.

Thank god for Sci-Fi Channel and "SHARKS IN VENICE!"

FrogMan
01-21-2009, 10:07 PM
just finished watching it, liked it quite a bit.

Local TV station had some stupid schedule going on, like 9:02 to 10:05 so we missed like the last few minutes. Anything really important happened after he told the new employee she could believe what she want about him?

FM

Eaglesfan27
01-21-2009, 10:14 PM
Wife and I just finished watching it. We both enjoyed it. I particularly liked Kelli Williams who has been a favorite of mine ever since her days on The Practice.

Eaglesfan27
01-21-2009, 10:16 PM
just finished watching it, liked it quite a bit.

Local TV station had some stupid schedule going on, like 9:02 to 10:05 so we missed like the last few minutes. Anything really important happened after he told the new employee she could believe what she want about him?

FM

Nothing important at all, but I'll put it in spoiler anyway:

He walked out of the office, saw a few people who were lying to various people around them. The last one was a guy lying to a woman he was having an affair with. He was giving her the standard line that he was going to leave his wife for her, he just needed more time.. Roth's character ignored everyone else but went up to the woman like he was going to tell her that the guy was lying and then the episode ended.

Autumn
01-21-2009, 10:22 PM
It seems to me like a premise that can't remain entertaining for more than a handful of shows. How many times can he amazingly realize someone is lying!

BrianD
01-21-2009, 10:30 PM

And, oh yes, the Mentalist is a complete ripoff of Psych... but not funny. So I don't watch it.

The Mentalist is decent as a bit more serious version of Psych. Nowhere near as good as Psych though.

adubroff
01-21-2009, 11:00 PM
I liked the first episode tremendously, which means it will be off the air by March.

I think they have an interesting premise, one which could add a hair to the basic criminal/legal show feel. I like Roth as the lead, he's playing the evil hero role well so far.

Lathum
01-21-2009, 11:10 PM
I havent read the whole thread for fear of spoilers, but we are taping it.

ISiddiqui
01-21-2009, 11:26 PM
It seems to me like a premise that can't remain entertaining for more than a handful of shows. How many times can he amazingly realize someone is lying!

Amazingly? I think they made it clear that everyone lies (cuing Dr. House). The question is why are they lying.

Fonzie
01-21-2009, 11:38 PM
For those who are interested, this show is based upon the research of the psychologist Paul Ekman. He has studied facial expressions and nonverbal communication for several decades, and really put the idea of "microexpressions" as a way of detecting suppressed emotions on the map (in addition to several other important contributions to the emotion literature). His wikipedia page can be found here: Paul Ekman - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paul_Ekman)

Radii
01-22-2009, 12:11 AM
For those who are interested, this show is based upon the research of the psychologist Paul Ekman. He has studied facial expressions and nonverbal communication for several decades, and really put the idea of "microexpressions" as a way of detecting suppressed emotions on the map (in addition to several other important contributions to the emotion literature). His wikipedia page can be found here: Paul Ekman - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paul_Ekman)

The segment on Ekman and his research was probably my favorite part of Blink (the Gladwell book) and was the main reason I went out of my way to record this tonight.

Radii
01-22-2009, 12:14 AM
dola,

I enjoyed the first episode. I think my feelings here are similar to the early episodes of House. I could see it getting old quickly, or becoming a must see show depending on where it goes.

Axxon
01-22-2009, 01:04 AM
It's kind of weird. I just watched the documentary The Human Face starring John Cleese and was blown away by it and there was a segment about lie detection. Come to find out Ekman collaborated on that project so I was really interested in this show. I loved the first episode, very promising.

Anyway, Netflix has The Human Face for watch instantly if anyone is interested.

GrantDawg
01-22-2009, 04:59 AM
I enjoyed it. It will in the end be a formulaic crime show, but Timothy Roth makes this worth watching.

FrogMan
01-22-2009, 06:54 AM
Nothing important at all, but I'll put it in spoiler anyway:

He walked out of the office, saw a few people who were lying to various people around them. The last one was a guy lying to a woman he was having an affair with. He was giving her the standard line that he was going to leave his wife for her, he just needed more time.. Roth's character ignored everyone else but went up to the woman like he was going to tell her that the guy was lying and then the episode ended.

thanks doc! I figured it wasn't anything important. I'd actually caught the very tail end of it when I turned the TV on at 10:04 but only saw him as he went up to the woman but my brain didn't even realize then that the TV station had screwed me up.

FM

PurdueBrad
01-22-2009, 07:24 AM
I liked it, always been a Roth fan, but do fear it being a one-trick pony. We're starting a new semester in my high school today and I'm going to use the first four minute segment with my speech class to drive home the point that our communication is much more than speaking.

LoneStarGirl
01-22-2009, 05:06 PM

I agree, Mentalist is terrible, especially compared to Psych. Lie to me was actually pretty good yesterday.

jeheinz72
01-22-2009, 05:44 PM
Hrm, I really like Mentalist, so methinks I need to watch Psych!

As far as this, I missed it. Argh.

duckman
01-28-2009, 11:48 PM
"You're lying!"

"Get used to it."

Neon_Chaos
01-29-2009, 12:50 PM
I'm liking this show.

FrogMan
01-29-2009, 12:59 PM
I really like it. I especially love when they explain an expression and how it means someone is lying and then show some pictures or videos of celebrities doing the same expression. Nixon's "I'm not a crook" video bit was priceless... :)

FM

Radii
01-29-2009, 12:59 PM

Lie To Me (http://fox.com/blogs/lietome/)

A blog called "the truth behind Lie to Me" with a number of entries by Paul Eckman, not terribly detailed but interesting IMO.

FrogMan
01-29-2009, 01:09 PM
Lie To Me (http://fox.com/blogs/lietome/)

A blog called "the truth behind Lie to Me" with a number of entries by Paul Eckman, not terribly detailed but interesting IMO.

thanks for the link. Added it to my RSS reader, it will help me understand more of the show, since sometimes Tim Roth is hard as hell to understand, at least for half French/half English brain. :)

FM

ISiddiqui
01-29-2009, 03:59 PM
That looks like a cool site. One of the reasons I find myself really liking the show is because it is based on actual facts and is interesting to think about how often people make tell tale faces.

kingnebwsu
01-30-2009, 09:39 PM
Just watched the Pilot tonight and really liked it. Hopefully it can stay fresh & stay on the air. Two things that are very tough to do for a show like this. We'll see what happens. I TiVo'ed the 2nd episode tonight so hope I can watch it soon.

Raiders Army
01-31-2009, 07:11 AM
We watched the 2nd episode last night. It's not the worst show on TV, but I have trouble suspending my belief that the writers really know what they're talking about. A Platoon Leader is not a Sergeant, nor are Leader and Commander interchangeable. If you get those simple things wrong about the Army, then how can I take all your other "factoids" seriously?

The show took the easy route out on both storylines and made it pretty black and white as to what is definitely good and bad. I was expecting a little more there. For example, obviously the AWOL chick thought that it was rape, but just because she believes she's telling the truth doesn't mean it's the truth. It's her perception of the truth. You remove the Sergeant based on that, and how many other lives do you risk? The show didn't explore that at all and they could've. He was the bad guy and justice is served. Ethically it's black and white. The real world isn't. What if ten soldiers die because he wasn't in charge? Wouldn't a little (perceived) non-consensual sex be worth saving their lives? What if it was your son who got killed?

Then flip it around. What if it were your daughter in the situation? How uncomfortable would you be?

It's too bad they just tied up the episode in a neat bow, to include using their fee to pay for the rest of the baller's college. Again, I don't think it's a bad show at all...just that they could do better. Anyhow, any TV show gets me with the characters and I'm not that into them yet. It usually takes about half a season to get into them. I'll keep watching.

ISiddiqui
01-31-2009, 07:19 PM
Speaking of the Mentalist/Psych thing, I just saw last night's Psych episode and in one scene they are discussing Shawn's dad being mad at him, so he says he'll make it up to him with an apology dinner where they'll watch The Mentalist afterwards. I almost fell off the couch. It was awesome.

And that is why, boys and girls, Psych is better than the Mentalist.

rowech
01-31-2009, 08:58 PM
Speaking of the Mentalist/Psych thing, I just saw last night's Psych episode and in one scene they are discussing Shawn's dad being mad at him, so he says he'll make it up to him with an apology dinner where they'll watch The Mentalist afterwards. I almost fell off the couch. It was awesome.

And that is why, boys and girls, Psych is better than the Mentalist.

Watched this today...that line was brilliant.

Radii
02-18-2009, 10:23 PM
I'm still enjoying this quite a bit. I get a huge kick out of the flashes they do to politicians and other famous figures exhibiting the characteristics that they're discussing. It was amusing to see some relatively recent footage used tonight of Obama.

RendeR
02-18-2009, 10:50 PM
Amazingly? I think they made it clear that everyone lies (cuing Dr. House). The question is why are they lying.

"You LIED to me!"

"I lie to everyone, what makes you so special?"

kingnebwsu
02-18-2009, 11:34 PM
Tonight's episode was solid, but not the best one. I am really enjoying this show and hopefully it will keep getting solid ratings (thank you Idol lead-in!). I'm hoping it gets renewed for another season. I've never really seen Tim Roth in anything before but I think he's really good. The main chick (who was in Scrubs for a bit) is pretty hot and does a good job too.

Definitely recommend tuning in for anyone who hasn't seen it yet.

FrogMan
02-19-2009, 06:57 AM
I'm still enjoying this quite a bit. I get a huge kick out of the flashes they do to politicians and other famous figures exhibiting the characteristics that they're discussing. It was amusing to see some relatively recent footage used tonight of Obama.

same thing for me, the pictures in picture are just awesome. The Obama finger was a nice touch, as was the Condoleeza Rice contempt smile. :)

I also find it interesting when they concentrate their effort in preventing a crime. Micro expressions can be telling even before anything is even done.

I like Tim Roth in the main role, and Kellie Williams is just plain hot. The other two supporting actors are also very good in what they do. The "natural" girl plays it really well, and the guy is just cool enough to pull it off nicely.

FM

samifan24
02-19-2009, 09:02 AM
Every time I see the name of this show in print, I hear that annoying falsetto Daniel Powter song "Lie to Me" in my head and cringe a little bit. I hope they don't use it for the opening credits music.

Vegas Vic
02-19-2009, 01:42 PM
I fully expected this to be a thread about Sean Hannity when I opened it.

Radii
03-12-2009, 12:00 AM
Best episode yet tonight IMO. I'm liking all of the characters and liking this show more and more. I have no idea how the ratings are, I hope it sticks around.

kingnebwsu
03-12-2009, 12:18 AM
Ratings are solid. I think it was 10+ last week (top 30ish). The Idol lead-in definitely helps. We'll see how it does next season after (I assume) they move it to a different time slot.

Tonight's episode was great. A lot of character development for just the sixth(?) episode.

Pumpy Tudors
03-12-2009, 10:43 AM
I think I missed the first two episodes, but I've seen the rest. I've liked all the episodes, but I liked the previous two (with the Korean wedding and the firefighters) more than I liked last night's. Still, it's a good show and is the only program on TV that I really look forward to watching. I'm going to predict that the guy who doesn't lie (is his name Eli?) won't last more than two seasons, even if the show does. Last night developed his character a little bit, but they haven't done a whole lot with him in the episodes I've seen, and I think he's dangerously close to just taking up space.

I hope they intend to follow up on some of the little hints they've dropped in these episodes. Like Foster's husband trying to get out of the Korean wedding and having mysterious phone calls. Or the natural asking Lightman why he even got into this business (that was at the end of the firefighters episode). Will we ever see the FBI agent again who wanted to date the natural? Do they have any plans with that?

Most TV shows get such short leashes these days, I wish they'd develop a couple of these stories a little more quickly so we know where they're going with them. It's a minor quibble, though. Good show.

Lorena
03-12-2009, 09:43 PM
Every time I see this thread title, I think of the Cinderella-Pinocchio joke.

Neon_Chaos
05-10-2009, 01:58 PM
They just added Mekhi Pfifer to the cast, as a regular, it seems.

The last episode was good.

Pumpy Tudors
09-28-2009, 04:12 PM
Season premiere tonight, yes?

RomaGoth
09-28-2009, 04:20 PM
Haven't seen the show, but seen the commercials for it. I like Tim Roth, in a non-gay kind of way, especially in Reservoir Dogs.

So, is this show worth watching or will it be off the air in a month?

BrianD
09-28-2009, 04:30 PM
I think it did reasonably well the first season.

kingnebwsu
09-28-2009, 05:00 PM
It did pretty well (I think the Idol lead-in helped) but it's been sent off to pair with House on Monday nights this season. Definitely a good pairing for it. Check out season 1 if you haven't watched it yet, it's really good.

And yes, I can't wait for tonight's episode :)