PDA

View Full Version : And the Oscar Nominees are....

Bearcat729
01-22-2009, 09:06 AM
OSCAR.com - 81st Annual Academy Awards - Nominees (http://www.oscar.com/nominees/?pn=nominees)

Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences
- NOMINATIONS BY CATEGORY - 81ST AWARDS -
Performance by an actor in a leading role
Richard Jenkins in "The Visitor" (Overture Films)
Frank Langella in "Frost/Nixon" (Universal)
Sean Penn in "Milk" (Focus Features)
Brad Pitt in "The Curious Case of Benjamin Button" (Paramount and Warner Bros.)
Mickey Rourke in "The Wrestler" (Fox Searchlight)

Performance by an actor in a supporting role
Josh Brolin in "Milk" (Focus Features)
Robert Downey Jr. in "Tropic Thunder" (DreamWorks, Distributed by DreamWorks/Paramount)
Philip Seymour Hoffman in "Doubt" (Miramax)
Heath Ledger in "The Dark Knight" (Warner Bros.)
Michael Shannon in "Revolutionary Road" (DreamWorks, Distributed by Paramount Vantage)

Performance by an actress in a leading role
Anne Hathaway in "Rachel Getting Married" (Sony Pictures Classics)
Angelina Jolie in "Changeling" (Universal)
Melissa Leo in "Frozen River" (Sony Pictures Classics)
Meryl Streep in "Doubt" (Miramax)
Kate Winslet in "The Reader" (The Weinstein Company)

Performance by an actress in a supporting role
Amy Adams in "Doubt" (Miramax)
Penélope Cruz in "Vicky Cristina Barcelona" (The Weinstein Company)
Viola Davis in "Doubt" (Miramax)
Taraji P. Henson in "The Curious Case of Benjamin Button" (Paramount and Warner Bros.)
Marisa Tomei in "The Wrestler" (Fox Searchlight)

Best animated feature film of the year
"Bolt" (Walt Disney) Chris Williams and Byron Howard
"Kung Fu Panda" (DreamWorks Animation, Distributed by Paramount) John Stevenson and Mark Osborne
"WALL-E" (Walt Disney) Andrew Stanton

Achievement in art direction
"Changeling" (Universal) Art Direction: James J. Murakami
Set Decoration: Gary Fettis
"The Curious Case of Benjamin Button" (Paramount and Warner Bros.) Art Direction: Donald Graham Burt
Set Decoration: Victor J. Zolfo
"The Dark Knight" (Warner Bros.) Art Direction: Nathan Crowley
Set Decoration: Peter Lando
"The Duchess" (Paramount Vantage, Pathé and BBC Films) Art Direction: Michael Carlin
Set Decoration: Rebecca Alleway
"Revolutionary Road" (DreamWorks, Distributed by Paramount Vantage) Art Direction: Kristi Zea
Set Decoration: Debra Schutt

Achievement in cinematography
"Changeling" (Universal) Tom Stern
"The Curious Case of Benjamin Button" (Paramount and Warner Bros.) Claudio Miranda
"The Dark Knight" (Warner Bros.) Wally Pfister
"The Reader" (The Weinstein Company) Chris Menges and Roger Deakins
"Slumdog Millionaire" (Fox Searchlight) Anthony Dod Mantle

Achievement in costume design
"Australia" (20th Century Fox) Catherine Martin
"The Curious Case of Benjamin Button" (Paramount and Warner Bros.) Jacqueline West
"The Duchess" (Paramount Vantage, Pathé and BBC Films) Michael O'Connor
"Milk" (Focus Features) Danny Glicker
"Revolutionary Road" (DreamWorks, Distributed by Paramount Vantage) Albert Wolsky

Achievement in directing
"The Curious Case of Benjamin Button" (Paramount and Warner Bros.) David Fincher
"Frost/Nixon" (Universal) Ron Howard
"Milk" (Focus Features) Gus Van Sant
"The Reader" (The Weinstein Company) Stephen Daldry
"Slumdog Millionaire" (Fox Searchlight) Danny Boyle

Best documentary feature
"The Betrayal (Nerakhoon)" (Cinema Guild)
A Pandinlao Films Production Ellen Kuras and Thavisouk Phrasavath
"Encounters at the End of the World" (THINKFilm and Image Entertainment)
A Creative Differences Production Werner Herzog and Henry Kaiser
"The Garden"
A Black Valley Films Production Scott Hamilton Kennedy
"Man on Wire" (Magnolia Pictures)
A Wall to Wall Production James Marsh and Simon Chinn
"Trouble the Water" (Zeitgeist Films)
An Elsewhere Films Production Tia Lessin and Carl Deal

Best documentary short subject
"The Conscience of Nhem En"
A Farallon Films Production Steven Okazaki
"The Final Inch"
A Vermilion Films Production Irene Taylor Brodsky and Tom Grant
"Smile Pinki"
A Principe Production Megan Mylan
"The Witness - From the Balcony of Room 306"
A Rock Paper Scissors Production Adam Pertofsky and Margaret Hyde

Achievement in film editing
"The Curious Case of Benjamin Button" (Paramount and Warner Bros.) Kirk Baxter and Angus Wall
"The Dark Knight" (Warner Bros.) Lee Smith
"Frost/Nixon" (Universal) Mike Hill and Dan Hanley
"Milk" (Focus Features) Elliot Graham
"Slumdog Millionaire" (Fox Searchlight) Chris Dickens

Best foreign language film of the year
"The Baader Meinhof Complex" A Constantin Film Production - Germany
"The Class" (Sony Pictures Classics) A Haut et Court Production - France
"Departures" (Regent Releasing) A Departures Film Partners Production - Japan
"Revanche" (Janus Films) A Prisma Film/Fernseh Production - Austria
"Waltz with Bashir" (Sony Pictures Classics) A Bridgit Folman Film Gang Production - Israel

Achievement in makeup
"The Curious Case of Benjamin Button" (Paramount and Warner Bros.) Greg Cannom
"The Dark Knight" (Warner Bros.) John Caglione, Jr. and Conor O'Sullivan
"Hellboy II: The Golden Army" (Universal) Mike Elizalde and Thom Floutz

Achievement in music written for motion pictures (Original score)
"The Curious Case of Benjamin Button" (Paramount and Warner Bros.) Alexandre Desplat
"Defiance" (Paramount Vantage) James Newton Howard
"Milk" (Focus Features) Danny Elfman
"Slumdog Millionaire" (Fox Searchlight) A.R. Rahman
"WALL-E" (Walt Disney) Thomas Newman

Achievement in music written for motion pictures (Original song)
"Down to Earth" from "WALL-E" (Walt Disney) Music by Peter Gabriel and Thomas Newman
Lyric by Peter Gabriel
"Jai Ho" from "Slumdog Millionaire" (Fox Searchlight) Music by A.R. Rahman
Lyric by Gulzar
"O Saya" from "Slumdog Millionaire" (Fox Searchlight) Music and Lyric by A.R. Rahman and Maya Arulpragasam

Best motion picture of the year
"The Curious Case of Benjamin Button" (Paramount and Warner Bros.)
"Frost/Nixon" (Universal)
"Milk" (Focus Features)
"The Reader" (The Weinstein Company)
"Slumdog Millionaire" (Fox Searchlight)

Best animated short film
"La Maison en Petits Cubes"
A Robot Communications Production Kunio Kato
"Lavatory - Lovestory"
A Melnitsa Animation Studio and CTB Film Company Production Konstantin Bronzit
"Oktapodi" (Talantis Films)
A Gobelins, L'école de l'image Production Emud Mokhberi and Thierry Marchand
"Presto" (Walt Disney)
A Pixar Animation Studios Production Doug Sweetland
"This Way Up" A Nexus Production Alan Smith and Adam Foulkes

Best live action short film
"Auf der Strecke (On the Line)" (Hamburg Shortfilmagency)
An Academy of Media Arts Cologne Production Reto Caffi
"Manon on the Asphalt" (La Luna Productions)
A La Luna Production Elizabeth Marre and Olivier Pont
"New Boy" (Network Ireland Television)
A Zanzibar Films Production Steph Green and Tamara Anghie
"The Pig"
An M & M Production Tivi Magnusson and Dorte Høgh
"Spielzeugland (Toyland)"
A Mephisto Film Production Jochen Alexander Freydank

Achievement in sound editing
"The Dark Knight" (Warner Bros.) Richard King
"Iron Man" (Paramount and Marvel Entertainment) Frank Eulner and Christopher Boyes
"Slumdog Millionaire" (Fox Searchlight) Tom Sayers
"WALL-E" (Walt Disney) Ben Burtt and Matthew Wood
"Wanted" (Universal) Wylie Stateman

Achievement in sound mixing
"The Curious Case of Benjamin Button" (Paramount and Warner Bros.) David Parker, Michael Semanick, Ren Klyce and Mark Weingarten
"The Dark Knight" (Warner Bros.) Lora Hirschberg, Gary Rizzo and Ed Novick
"Slumdog Millionaire" (Fox Searchlight) Ian Tapp, Richard Pryke and Resul Pookutty
"WALL-E" (Walt Disney) Tom Myers, Michael Semanick and Ben Burtt
"Wanted" (Universal) Chris Jenkins, Frank A. Montaño and Petr Forejt

Achievement in visual effects
"The Curious Case of Benjamin Button" (Paramount and Warner Bros.) Eric Barba, Steve Preeg, Burt Dalton and Craig Barron
"The Dark Knight" (Warner Bros.) Nick Davis, Chris Corbould, Tim Webber and Paul Franklin
"Iron Man" (Paramount and Marvel Entertainment) John Nelson, Ben Snow, Dan Sudick and Shane Mahan

Adapted screenplay
"The Curious Case of Benjamin Button" (Paramount and Warner Bros.) Screenplay by Eric Roth
Screen story by Eric Roth and Robin Swicord
"Doubt" (Miramax) Written by John Patrick Shanley
"Frost/Nixon" (Universal) Screenplay by Peter Morgan
"The Reader" (The Weinstein Company) Screenplay by David Hare
"Slumdog Millionaire" (Fox Searchlight) Screenplay by Simon Beaufoy

Original screenplay
"Frozen River" (Sony Pictures Classics) Written by Courtney Hunt
"Happy-Go-Lucky" (Miramax) Written by Mike Leigh
"In Bruges" (Focus Features) Written by Martin McDonagh
"Milk" (Focus Features) Written by Dustin Lance Black
"WALL-E" (Walt Disney) Screenplay by Andrew Stanton, Jim Reardon
Original story by Andrew Stanton, Pete Docter

ISiddiqui
01-22-2009, 09:19 AM
"The Reader" beating out "The Dark Knight" is a huge shock as most publications had TDK as a lock. I'm glad Benjamin Button got 13 nods. It's my Best Picture winner so far (though I haven't seen Slumdog)

Maple Leafs
01-22-2009, 09:19 AM
No Dark Knight for Best Picture... that has to crush the producers of the show, it could cost about 10 ratings points.

Surprised Springsteen didn't get a Best Song nomination for the Wrestler.

Ronnie Dobbs2
01-22-2009, 09:21 AM
TDK fanboys creep me out, so it missing out is ok in my book.

Dr. Sak
01-22-2009, 09:22 AM
Does anyone else agree with me that Brad Pitt seems to play the same character in every movie he does?

ISiddiqui
01-22-2009, 09:25 AM
Yeah, Benjamin Button was exactly like his character in Burn After Reading or Ocean's Eleven or Assassination of Jesse James ;).

Dr. Sak
01-22-2009, 09:26 AM
Yeah, Benjamin Button was exactly like his character in Burn After Reading or Ocean's Eleven or Assassination of Jesse James ;).

Hah! That's not exactly what I meant. I guess I didn't word it right, but I feel like he plays the same sort of role in every movie he does. I don't know, maybe I am just high off of all the medicine I am taking.

Abe Sargent
01-22-2009, 09:30 AM
Does anyone else agree with me that Brad Pitt seems to play the same character in every movie he does?

I think if you compare 12 Monkeys to Troy, you get different characters.

samifan24
01-22-2009, 09:31 AM
No "Dark Knight" for Best Picture and no "Gran Torino" anywhere. What a joke.

ISiddiqui
01-22-2009, 09:32 AM
Hah! That's not exactly what I meant. I guess I didn't word it right, but I feel like he plays the same sort of role in every movie he does. I don't know, maybe I am just high off of all the medicine I am taking.

I'm going to go for high ;).

But seriously, Pitt has played a vast variety of roles in his career. Here is a few movies he's had a large role in:

Interview with a Vampire
Se7en
Snatch
Seven Years in Tibet
Fight Club
Ocean's Eleven
Troy
The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford
Burn After Reading
The Curious Case of Benjamin Button

I'd have to say that Benjamin Button is unlike any other role he's played in his career.

Butter
01-22-2009, 09:36 AM
Was kinda hoping WALL-E would sneak in for Best Picture. Only one of those I've seen so far is Benjamin Button, and there is no way that should win.

Lathum
01-22-2009, 09:40 AM
Leo and Kate got snubbed pretty hard

As well as Eastwood.

Abe Sargent
01-22-2009, 09:50 AM
I didn't think Changeling was that good, nor was Angelina that amazing or anything.

Maple Leafs
01-22-2009, 09:50 AM
Was kinda hoping WALL-E would sneak in for Best Picture. Only one of those I've seen so far is Benjamin Button, and there is no way that should win.
Are animated movies even allowed in the Best Picture category?

PackerFanatic
01-22-2009, 09:52 AM
The Curious Case of Forrest Gump from FGump44 (http://www.funnyordie.com/videos/1d76506803/the-curious-case-of-forrest-gump-from-fgump44)

Lorena
01-22-2009, 09:54 AM
Anyone know why The Dark Knight was nominated for "Best foreign language film of the year"?

Lorena
01-22-2009, 09:55 AM
eh, strike that, didn't notice it was a different category.

PackerFanatic
01-22-2009, 09:59 AM
eh, strike that, didn't notice it was a different category.

Ah I had wondered the same thing...makes more sense after second glance, haha.

PurdueBrad
01-22-2009, 10:01 AM
The Curious Case of Forrest Gump from FGump44 (http://www.funnyordie.com/videos/1d76506803/the-curious-case-of-forrest-gump-from-fgump44)

Very nice! Got a good laugh off of it.

flere-imsaho
01-22-2009, 10:03 AM
I'm glad Benjamin Button got 13 nods. It's my Best Picture winner so far (though I haven't seen Slumdog)

I haven't seen it yet, but exactly how sad is it when he finally dies as a baby? I ask because I'm not sure I could handle that, with a baby of my own and all....

In general I think you have a choice of Funny and Cool Brad Pitt (Burn After Reading, Oceans XX, etc...), Moody and Introspective Brad Pitt (Assassination, Meet Joe Black, Troy, etc...) or sometimes Plain Crazy Brad Pitt (12 Monkeys). But you always have Brad Pitt.

I don't mean that as a knock. I happen to enjoy watching him and also George Clooney, who has a similar lack of range. But neither of these guys are Daniel Day-Lewis or (more recently) Josh Brolin.

PurdueBrad
01-22-2009, 10:06 AM
I get what Dr. Sak is kind of saying and I have this problem with Leonardo DiCaprio. He still looks 14 years old to me and the acting he brings to each role is very similar (sure, there might be an outlier like Blood Diamonds but for the most part he just seems very static as an actor).

Butter
01-22-2009, 10:09 AM
I haven't seen it yet, but exactly how sad is it when he finally dies as a baby? I ask because I'm not sure I could handle that, with a baby of my own and all....

Guess it depends. I didn't find it all that sad, just because you knew it was inevitable. The way in which it was presented is supposed to be somewhat reassuring, but still a little heart-breaking.

stevew
01-22-2009, 10:10 AM
I didn't see it but it would be funny if Downey won for tropic thunder. I think it would be ironic but my Alanis detector isn't working this early.

ISiddiqui
01-22-2009, 10:17 AM
Guess it depends. I didn't find it all that sad, just because you knew it was inevitable. The way in which it was presented is supposed to be somewhat reassuring, but still a little heart-breaking.

Agreed.

It was a bit sad, but one of the themes of the movie is time passes and people come and go (regardless of which direction you are going). It wasn't too bad though. Pitt as a child is more heartbreaking.

ISiddiqui
01-22-2009, 10:20 AM
In general I think you have a choice of Funny and Cool Brad Pitt (Burn After Reading, Oceans XX, etc...), Moody and Introspective Brad Pitt (Assassination, Meet Joe Black, Troy, etc...) or sometimes Plain Crazy Brad Pitt (12 Monkeys). But you always have Brad Pitt.

Um... isn't that basically every actor then? Someone who can play funny & cool, introspective, and plain crazy is someone who has quite a bit of range.

Besides, his character in "Burn After Reading" was anything but cool. And Jesse James was a different form of introspection than Achilles in Troy. Jesse James was more of a nasty, brooding introspection, a bit different from playing the introspective hero, IMO.

Dr. Sak
01-22-2009, 10:21 AM
Ut oh...I think ISiddiqui has a little man crush on Brad Pitt ;)

Lorena
01-22-2009, 10:21 AM
Agreed.

It was a bit sad, but one of the themes of the movie is time passes and people come and go (regardless of which direction you are going). It wasn't too bad though. Pitt as a child is more heartbreaking.

Yeah, I agree. I get pretty emotional with movies involving death, but we knew it was coming and didn't affect me at all.

MikeVic
01-22-2009, 10:23 AM
Anyone know why The Dark Knight was nominated for "Best foreign language film of the year"?

That happened to me too. The new category is not on a new line. :)

ISiddiqui
01-22-2009, 10:25 AM
I get what Dr. Sak is kind of saying and I have this problem with Leonardo DiCaprio. He still looks 14 years old to me and the acting he brings to each role is very similar (sure, there might be an outlier like Blood Diamonds but for the most part he just seems very static as an actor).

Don't get this either. We are talking about an actor that has in the last 5 years or so, played lead roles in movies like Blood Diamond, Catch Me If You Can, Gangs of New York, The Departed, and Revolutionary Road.

I wonder if part of this is that is hard to get past Leo's and Brad's movie star good looks. While someone like Daniel Day Lewis can look 'ugly' pretty well (as he did in "There Will Be Blood" - my fav movie from 2008).

cthomer5000
01-22-2009, 10:26 AM

No.

Izulde
01-22-2009, 10:26 AM
TDK not in Best Picture nomination is a farce.

That said, I think the easiest prediction of the year is Ledger posthumously awarded BSA for his Joker role. Anything else and I think there'd be riots.

cthomer5000
01-22-2009, 10:27 AM
Are animated movies even allowed in the Best Picture category?

technically, yes... but i think everyone admits that it having its own category makes it extremely unlikely. It's just like how a Foreign Film can be nominated for Best Picture... i think it happened with Life Is Beautiful a few years ago, right?

Wall-E was pretty solid.. one of the few movies i saw from 2008.

Bearcat729
01-22-2009, 10:28 AM
That happened to me too. The new category is not on a new line. :)

Fixed it. Thought I had got all of them

cthomer5000
01-22-2009, 10:28 AM
TDK not in Best Picture nomination is a farce.

People really feel this way? I mean, it was an OK movie. One of the better superhero movies ever, but it was still pretty silly, overly long, and goofy in the final 3rd.

ISiddiqui
01-22-2009, 10:33 AM
technically, yes... but i think everyone admits that it having its own category makes it extremely unlikely. It's just like how a Foreign Film can be nominated for Best Picture... i think it happened with Life Is Beautiful a few years ago, right?

Wall-E was pretty solid.. one of the few movies i saw from 2008.

Yep, yep. When you have a seperate catagory, people tend to say, well, it'll get its award. No reason for it to be in both. And before the award started (2001), "Beauty and the Beast" was nominated for Best Picture in 1991.

And yah, Wall-E was pretty good and is on my Top 5 list for 2008.

MikeVic
01-22-2009, 10:35 AM
Don't get this either. We are talking about an actor that has in the last 5 years or so, played lead roles in movies like Blood Diamond, Catch Me If You Can, Gangs of New York, The Departed, and Revolutionary Road.

I wonder if part of this is that is hard to get past Leo's and Brad's movie star good looks. While someone like Daniel Day Lewis can look 'ugly' pretty well (as he did in "There Will Be Blood" - my fav movie from 2008).

I don't think Leo is good looking, I just don't like his youthful look in every single movie. I think I actually go out of my way to avoid his movies, and have not seen any of the ones you mentioned.

ISiddiqui
01-22-2009, 10:37 AM
You went out of your way to not see "The Departed"?

Your loss, man.

cthomer5000
01-22-2009, 10:40 AM
I don't think Leo is good looking, I just don't like his youthful look in every single movie. I think I actually go out of my way to avoid his movies, and have not seen any of the ones you mentioned.

You don't like film. You need to realize this.

MikeVic
01-22-2009, 10:41 AM
I know, I realize I'm missing good movies but I just can't stand the guy and any movie with him in it wouldn't be as enjoyable to me.

MikeVic
01-22-2009, 10:41 AM
You don't like film. You need to realize this.

I love film, I just don't like this one actor.

ISiddiqui
01-22-2009, 10:45 AM
It seems petty. How can you not like the one actor when you haven't seen his best work. You can't just judge him on "Titanic".

cthomer5000
01-22-2009, 10:48 AM
Some of my favorite movies have starred actors i have otherwise previously hated or even continued to hate after the fact. I have boundless, inexplicable love for the movie Face/Off, and i absolutely despite both Travolta and Cage.

MikeVic
01-22-2009, 10:49 AM
It seems petty. How can you not like the one actor when you haven't seen his best work. You can't just judge him on "Titanic".

I didn't say anything about his work, as I really don't think I've seen anything of his. If I did, I forgot about it. I've never seen Titanic. I just don't like the guy, so I don't watch his movies.

ISiddiqui
01-22-2009, 10:52 AM
You don't like the guy... why?

How can you say you don't like the guy if you haven't seen anything of his. I just don't understand at all.

Matthean
01-22-2009, 10:55 AM
Only one of those I've seen so far is Benjamin Button, and there is no way that should win.

I haven't seen it, but from what people tell me and from what reviews I have gathered, it really doesn't belong in the list. A good movie? Sure. Just not one of the best 5 of the year. I could see switching it out for TDK and being fine with the list.

And Slumdog should win. Why? Because it is written. :D

EDIT: I have a friend who hates Brad Pitt and refuses to see anything he is in. This means he misses out on great films like "True Romance" where Brad has a bit part, but is hilarious in it.

wade moore
01-22-2009, 10:56 AM
I didn't say anything about his work, as I really don't think I've seen anything of his. If I did, I forgot about it. I've never seen Titanic. I just don't like the guy, so I don't watch his movies.

So you don't like him despite never actually seeing him do anything?

Nice.

MikeVic
01-22-2009, 10:56 AM
You don't like the guy... why?

How can you say you don't like the guy if you haven't seen anything of his. I just don't understand at all.

I don't understand either. If I could explain it, I would. :) Only thing I can think of is hating the hype of Titanic, and that automatically made me hate him, but I don't know.

MikeVic
01-22-2009, 10:57 AM
I think him and Sarah Jessica Parker are the only two actors that I hate when I see them in a movie.

ISiddiqui
01-22-2009, 10:57 AM
Oh, and also, the dislike for Benjamin Button saddens me :(

MIJB#19
01-22-2009, 10:59 AM
Leo and Kate got snubbed pretty hard

As well as Eastwood.I guess you're not talking about Kate Winslett here? She's up there in the actress in a leading role category.

MIJB#19
01-22-2009, 11:02 AM
I don't understand either. If I could explain it, I would. :) Only thing I can think of is hating the hype of Titanic, and that automatically made me hate him, but I don't know.Back as a teenager, that was what I thought too. I learned to look past the Titanic hype and find out DiCaprio grew up.

Ronnie Dobbs2
01-22-2009, 11:03 AM
I couldn't stand Titanic (forced to watch it on a date), but thought Leo and Kate were excellent in it.

Swaggs
01-22-2009, 11:06 AM
Did Gran Torino not fall within the time frame to be included in this year's nominees?

Admittedly, I did not see many movies this year, but I really thought Gran Torino was excellent.

MJ4H
01-22-2009, 11:09 AM
My guess is some people just rub you the wrong way. Their mannerisms, looks, speech cadence, style, whatever. They just give you the creeps or whatever. I can understand that, I guess.

cthomer5000
01-22-2009, 11:11 AM
All of you who didn't like Titantic... why? It's an objectively good movie. Forget the hype, view it on it's own merits. I'm not saying it's the best thing ever recorded, but it's pretty much undeniably good.

ISiddiqui
01-22-2009, 11:13 AM
Did Gran Torino not fall within the time frame to be included in this year's nominees?

Admittedly, I did not see many movies this year, but I really thought Gran Torino was excellent.

It did, IIRC. It just wasn't nominated for anything.

MikeVic
01-22-2009, 11:15 AM
I can't look past the hype. Once people start hyping something up like crazy, it usually disappoints me. If I didn't watch The Dark Knight on opening weekend and formed my own opinion, I probably would have not liked it nearly as much because of all the crazy hyping once the movies was out for a bit.

Ronnie Dobbs2
01-22-2009, 11:17 AM
All of you who didn't like Titantic... why? It's an objectively good movie. Forget the hype, view it on it's own merits. I'm not saying it's the best thing ever recorded, but it's pretty much undeniably good.

Not my type of movie. Can't think of a single soaring, historical romance that I've enjoyed. I *hated* The English Patient as well.

MJ4H
01-22-2009, 11:18 AM

Probably the same reason I don't like 2 lbs of sugar added to my Corn Pops.

Actually, I didn't hate Titanic the first time. It kept my attention throughout. Also, I'm pretty sure it moved a little during the nudie sketching scene. It certainly isn't very fun on a rewatch though. It just seems too sappy, sweet, overdone, etc. It's not what I would call a terrible movie, though, I agree with you.

larrymcg421
01-22-2009, 11:39 AM
I don't dislike Benjamin Button. I thought it was a good movie, but it is basically a darker rehash of Forrest Gump, from the very same screenwriter. It did not deserve the nomination over Dark Knight.

As for WALL-E, it hsould've been nominated also, but with the animated category, I doubt we'll ever see an animated movie getting nominated again.

Butter
01-22-2009, 11:42 AM

It was HARD to view that thing on its own merit. But once I was able to get past all the trappings, YEARS after its release, I can say that I enjoyed it. But I will probably never watch it again. Too long.

Ronnie Dobbs2
01-22-2009, 11:43 AM
why don't you tell us how you really feel

Lorena
01-22-2009, 12:09 PM
Post whore :p

I'm with Butter. I tend to enjoy movies after all the hype has died down or after a second viewing after the hype has died down. The Dark Knight was more enjoyable after the second time around. There are movies though that after the second and third time around, they still suck. Ahem, The Gangs of NY.

wade moore
01-22-2009, 12:15 PM
Can someone delete all the preceding posts? My keyboard got hung up on the submit reply button, sorry.
You know you can delete your own posts, right?

Butter
01-22-2009, 12:22 PM
For some reason, I thought only mods could delete posts. I guess that's threads. Or not. Whatever. Fixed. Thanks, wade moore.

wade moore
01-22-2009, 12:24 PM
For some reason, I thought only mods could delete posts. I guess that's threads. Or not. Whatever. Fixed. Thanks, wade moore.
NP - that is threads. Only mods can delete threads, anyone (except maybe jbmagic) can delete posts.

JediKooter
01-22-2009, 12:33 PM

I knew how it ended decades before it came out.

Lathum
01-22-2009, 12:38 PM
I guess you're not talking about Kate Winslett here? She's up there in the actress in a leading role category.

hmm, guess I missed it reading them at 7:00 AM.

I was just surprised, usualy the GG's are a precursor to the Oscars.

I also though Gran Torino should have gotten a best picture nod, I thought it was amazing.

I also agree TDK shuldn't have gotten anything, it was a good superhero movie.

PackerFanatic
01-22-2009, 12:40 PM
It did, IIRC. It just wasn't nominated for anything.

I always thought there was a timeframe too, but according to the Wiki, as long as it opens in that calendar year, its fair game. Interesting.

lordscarlet
I think him and Sarah Jessica Parker are the only two actors that I hate when I see them in a movie.

But you never see them in a movie.

Lathum

Only mods can delete threads.

That rule is my fault, sorry bout that.

MikeVic
01-22-2009, 12:51 PM
But you never see them in a movie.

:p You know what I mean. When I hear about them being in a movie. Smart People is probably the only movie I've seen SJP in, and she could've been replaced so easily.

MikeVic
01-22-2009, 12:52 PM
The only way I'll see Leo in a movie and give him a shot is if he's in a movie with some other actress I really like or something. That's the only way I can see it.

Johnny93g
01-22-2009, 12:53 PM
Just a few points, i want to get my opinion out there

- I'm dissapointend Leo wasnt nominated at all. I haven't seen revolutionary road, but i'm a big fan, and I thought he deserved to win for the Aviator.

- On the same subject, I used to hate Leo. I thought he was just eye candy for the teenage girls. I then saw Gangs of NY, then i saw basketball diaries, then this boy's life, then the aviator, and i could go on. He consistantly puts out great movies.

- Brad Pitt deserves his nomination, but i don't think he has a chance. I'll be dissapointed if Mickey Rourke doesnt win.

-I was hoping to see the Wrestler get a best movie nom, but didnt expect it.

-Gran Torino is a good movie, i enjoyed it quite a bit, but it isnt a best picture type movie. There are too many holes in it.

- I dont generally like Angelina Jolie as an actress. Her roles haven't really appealed to me, but i thouht she was excellent in the Changling, and i'll be rooting for her for that role.

- Shocked Springsteen wasn't nominated for the Wrestler. Great song.

- Glad the Dark Knight wasnt nominated for best picture. Isn't as good as the hype imo. Good movie, great blockbuster, thats it.

lordscarlet
01-22-2009, 12:58 PM
The only way I'll see Leo in a movie and give him a shot is if he's in a movie with some other actress I really like or something. That's the only way I can see it.

So you won't watch an excellent actor because he's a pretty boy, but maybe you'll watch him in a movie if there's a hot (I mean.. talented) actress in it with him?

Pyser
01-22-2009, 12:59 PM
the reader was an awful movie. really snubbed the wrestler there, i thought.

dont miss tdk at all. it got plenty of noms where it deserved them.

Dr. Sak
01-22-2009, 01:01 PM
I don't understand why you all are giving MikeVic such a hard time. He doesn't like the guy. YOU might think he's a good (great perhaps) actor but he just doesn't want to watch movies he is in.

ISiddiqui
01-22-2009, 01:05 PM
He doesn't like the for no discernable reason. I tend to give people a hard time for their prejudices ;).

cthomer5000
01-22-2009, 01:06 PM
I don't understand why you all are giving MikeVic such a hard time. He doesn't like the guy. YOU might think he's a good (great perhaps) actor but he just doesn't want to watch movies he is in.

I don't think any of us is failing to understand what's happening here - and all you've done is re-type it. Good job.

We're basically just subtly or not-so-subtly calling him a moron for claiming to like film and then failing to watch a majority of the better/best movies that have been released in the past decade due to the fact that he doesn't like an actor that he's never even watched in the first place.

ISiddiqui
01-22-2009, 01:17 PM
Holy overreaction Batman!

Dr. Sak
01-22-2009, 01:19 PM
Yea sorry. My apologies. I'll delete it.

Lorena
01-22-2009, 01:21 PM
Sak, you shouldn't have deleted it. You were just reacting to ct calling MikeVic a moron. So he doesn't like Dicaprio, big deal, that's no reason to call someone a moron.

ISiddiqui
01-22-2009, 01:25 PM
Calling him a moron is a bit of an overreaction as well, but minorly so. However, it is very, very wierd behavior, IMO.

Scoobz0202
01-22-2009, 01:29 PM
Pretty shocked at how The Wrestler was snubbed, for both the motion picture and best song. What a joke...

I also do not get the love for Frost/Nixon. I didn't think it was that great...

Surtt
01-22-2009, 01:37 PM
So you won't watch an excellent actor because he's a pretty boy, but maybe you'll watch him in a movie if there's a hot (I mean.. talented) actress in it with him?

Isn't this the way most Movies are made?
It isn't an accident that most actresses are hotter then they are talented.

Lathum
01-22-2009, 01:38 PM
I don't think any of us is failing to understand what's happening here - and all you've done is re-type it. Good job.

We're basically just subtly or not-so-subtly calling him a moron for claiming to like film and then failing to watch a majority of the better/best movies that have been released in the past decade due to the fact that he doesn't like an actor that he's never even watched in the first place.

I know right, god forbid we don't give him a hard time for having his own personal tastes :rolleyes:

The reason I genraly stay away from movie and music threads around here are the snobs who think you are a "moron" for having your own opinion that may be different from theirs.

Dr. Sak
01-22-2009, 01:39 PM
I know right, god forbid we don't give him a hard time for having his own personal tastes :rolleyes:

The reason I genraly stay away from movie and music threads around here are the snobs who think you are a "moron" for having your own opinion that may be different from theirs.

Thank you for putting it into much "rosier" terms than I did.

Ronnie Dobbs2
01-22-2009, 01:40 PM
Nobody is saying he's a moron for not liking Leonardo DiCaprio.

ISiddiqui
01-22-2009, 01:41 PM

QFT

Lathum
01-22-2009, 01:42 PM

CT's post said he is a moron for not seeing some of the best movies because he doesn't like Leo.

If he doesn't want to see them thats his buisness, who is CT to tell him what he is missing out on?

Dr. Sak
01-22-2009, 01:43 PM
CT's post said he is a moron for not seeing some of the best movies because he doesn't like Leo.

If he doesn't want to see them thats his buisness, who is CT to tell him what he is missing out on?

Brad Pitt...not Leo ;)

Lathum
01-22-2009, 01:45 PM
whoever.

My point was that, inevitably in these threads someones tastes are isulted or they are called a moron for some reason that is usualy uncalled for.

It would have been eaiser to say " I think you are missing out on some great films and limiting yourself" then to call someone a moron.

ntndeacon
01-22-2009, 01:46 PM
Of the three I have seen I have Benjamin Button as my fave. Heck over all my movies I saw this year that is the case. (One of the few times my favorite movie of a year has been nominated) I have yet to see the Reader or Frost/Nixon....Frost Nixon cause it hasn't come out in my area, and the Reader because I havent had the time this week. (it came out in one theatre Friday.) Both as well as Rev. Road are gonna be in town as of Tomorrow, so I should be able to see one or both of them this week.

Ronnie Dobbs2
01-22-2009, 01:47 PM

MikeVic says he "loves film"
MikeVic says he's never seen any movie with Leonardo DiCaprio in it because he "just can't stand the guy"
DiCaprio has been in several highly regarded "films" of the last fifteen years
cthomer sees the obvious disconnect here, inelegantly calls him a moron
hijinks ensue

ntndeacon
01-22-2009, 01:49 PM
I have to say, that I will seek out most movies with Brad Pitt as he is a phenomenal actor on the whole. The actors I have the most problems with are Julia Roberts and Tom Cruise. (Very few of their performances are any good at all. )

MikeVic
01-22-2009, 01:49 PM
I don't dislike Leonardo because he's a pretty boy, and I never said he's a bad actor or his movies suck. He just rubs me the wrong way. I don't go out of my way to see his movies. If friends were to go watch a movie of his, I wouldn't stay home because DiCaprio was in it. But no one ever seems to bring up a movie of his, and since I don't like him anyway, I just haven't seen his movies.

There are so many actors and movies out there that I can nitpick what I want to see.

MikeVic
01-22-2009, 01:52 PM
I can still love film and not have seen Leonardo DiCaprio's work. Like I can love music and not have heard a single Beatles song or love paintings and not have seen a Van Gogh or something.

Dr. Sak
01-22-2009, 01:53 PM
I can still love film and not have seen Leonardo DiCaprio's work. Like I can love music and not have heard a single Beatles song or love paintings and not have seen a Van Gogh or something.

I love lamp

MikeVic
01-22-2009, 01:54 PM
I love lamp

but you haven't seen these new designer's lamps so therefore you don't love lamp and are a moron. Am I fitting in this thread now? :)

RendeR
01-22-2009, 02:02 PM
Alright you whiney asses, Lets cihll out, *I* am the designated OVER reactor here, get off my soap box ;)

Back on topic, I agree TDK didn't deserve a best picture nomination, it got the attention it deserved IMO. Ledger's supporting ator nomination was the only thing I truly believed was a MUST HAPPEN type thing and I tihnk if he doesn't win it its a travesty. easily the single best supporting role all year, the others aren't even close.

I didn't get to see a lot of these but The things I have seen and heard lead me to think slumloard should be winning most of the awards.

Not that I intend to watch the awards anyway, I grew tired of the same old shit from the same old people a long time ago. I'll check to see if ledger wins and thats about it.

ISiddiqui
01-22-2009, 02:09 PM

But isn't "not have seen", it's not willing to see. Like, you can't love modern music (or music in general) and be not willing to hear the Beatles. You can't love art or paintings and be unwilling to see a Van Gogh. Otherwise, I question the use of "love" to describe it.

Lathum
01-22-2009, 02:11 PM
But isn't "not have seen", it's not willing to see. Like, you can't love modern music (or music in general) and be not willing to hear the Beatles. You can't love art or paintings and be unwilling to see a Van Gogh. Otherwise, I question the use of "love" to describe it.

why?

you love what you love.

ISiddiqui
01-22-2009, 02:12 PM
why?

you love what you love.

You can love "what you love", but don't try to tell me you love music or love art or love movies (ie, a mode of artform as a whole) if you are unwilling to see or hear a major genre or artist.

RendeR
01-22-2009, 02:13 PM

One doesn't have to be fully versed in every possibility of a subject to like or dislike said subject.

He loves films, he simply dislikes a specific actor, those two things do not thwart one another.

Ronnie Dobbs2
01-22-2009, 02:15 PM
But would one have to be willing to be fully versed in order to love said subject?

ISiddiqui
01-22-2009, 02:16 PM
But would one have to be willing to be fully versed in order to love said subject?

Yes.

And that's the point I'm making. You can dislike a certain actor/genre/setting, but only if you have been willing to give it a chance and found you didn't like it. Otherwise, IMO, you are not a fan of the art medium.

RendeR
01-22-2009, 02:17 PM

No.

To be considered an expert on said subject? Sure, but ont simply to have a love for the subject. That I think is where the disagreement is coming from.

RendeR
01-22-2009, 02:18 PM
Yes.

And that's the point I'm making. You can dislike a certain actor/genre/setting, but only if you have been willing to give it a chance and found you didn't like it. Otherwise, IMO, you are not a fan of the art medium.

Se my post above, you're confusing being a valid reference point on a topic to simply enjoying one. Enjoyment and love are ont bound by rules of Total understanding and acceptability.

ISiddiqui
01-22-2009, 02:21 PM
Sorry, but I don't think you have a proper love for the medium either if you close yourself off from a portion of it for no reason whatsoever. You can "love what you love" instead.

Lathum
01-22-2009, 02:22 PM
You can love "what you love", but don't try to tell me you love music or love art or love movies (ie, a mode of artform as a whole) if you are unwilling to see or hear a major genre or artist.

do you love women?

ever been with a Brazilin woman? A black woman? An Itilian woman?

Lathum
01-22-2009, 02:23 PM
Sorry, but I don't think you have a proper love for the medium either if you close yourself off from a portion of it for no reason whatsoever. You can "love what you love" instead.

I love reading, yet I have never read a romance novel, or a civil war novel.

RendeR
01-22-2009, 02:23 PM
do you love women?

ever been with a Brazilin woman? A black woman? An Itilian woman?

He's talking about a "willingness" to try things you dislike and wihle for someone who is trying to be an expert on a topic this would be true, but not to simply have a love for the medium.

He's simply putting his own feeling on the matter. I disagree with him based on what I posted, but its his life, he can have his opinion =)

Lorena
01-22-2009, 02:29 PM
I love me some movies, but I won't go out of my way to see anything with Julia Roberts, Colin Farrell or most musicals. I still haven't seen Chicago and have no interest in it even though it was nominated for tons of Oscars.

MikeVic
01-22-2009, 02:29 PM
How does it make a difference of me loving movies if I haven't seen DiCaprio's work?? Looking at IMDB, I know I've seen parts of Romeo and Juliet and What's Eating Gilbert Grape and I don't remember anything from them, but I see DiCaprio was in them. Do I have permission to love movies now?

RendeR
01-22-2009, 02:35 PM
It doesn't, I love movies, but that doesn't mean I have to force myself to watch someone I dislike. Isiddiqui is simply placing far more importance on having a total spetrum of experience.

The only person required to do so is him. thats all =)

Sgran
01-22-2009, 02:46 PM
DiCaprio and Pitt are great actors, but they're not elite. When the pitch is in their wheelhouse they hit it out of the park. But the elite actors can do anything. For example, Philip Seymour Hoffman could have played Pitt's role in Burn After Reading, but Pitt couldn't have played the lead in In Cold Blood without a substantial drop-off. Or take Robert Downey. Show me a movie where he couldn't have taken DiCaprio's role and improved on it. These things are obvious when you have two actors in equal roles opposite each other and one can't keep up, like in Brokeback Mountain. You give Jake's role to Robert Downey and you've got an even better movie. or better yet (and a very weird thought), you could have had Heath play both roles.

wade moore
01-22-2009, 02:58 PM
You guys do realize the criticism of MikeVic is that he has this extreme dislike for Leo with NO REASON WHATSOEVER, right? He's stated that he's never seen him (although he's backpedaled somewhat there, he said he doesn't remember him). So how can he "rub him the wrong way" or whatever if he's never even seen the guy act?

That's what the "moron" statements come from - a complete disconnect here. Railing Leo and saying he dislikes him so much with absolutely no data to back it up.

It's like those morons that "hate" a food that they've never tasted.

ISiddiqui
01-22-2009, 03:01 PM
He's talking about a "willingness" to try things you dislike

Yep, exactly. Saying "I've never seen/read/heard X, but I can love the medium" is missing the point entirely. I think one cannot truly love a medium if one is unwilling to see/read/hear an important work/author/actor for no real reason.

You can love movies and not have see a DiCaprio movie. You can also love movies and not want to see a DiCaprio film because you've watched him before and didn't think he was a good actor or did good films. IMO, you can't love movies and not want to see a DiCaprio film for no real reason.

MikeVic
01-22-2009, 03:02 PM
Whoa wade moore, you're putting words into my mouth. I didn't say I "extremely" disliked him. He just rubs me the wrong way so I haven't gone out of my way to watch his movies. I said I don't think I've seen movies with him in it, but when my love of movies got questioned I looked him up and did see parts of movies he was in.

You've never just met someone or seen a commercial or trailers and people rub you the wrong way?

MikeVic
01-22-2009, 03:04 PM
Holy fuck you people. I didn't say I will NEVER watch a DiCaprio movie. I just DON'T GO OUT OF MY WAY TO WATCH THEM. And that's meant I haven't seen any of them. I'm done.

JonInMiddleGA
01-22-2009, 03:04 PM
It's like those morons that "hate" a food that they've never tasted.

I've never eaten dog shit either but I'm not inclined to give it a try just to satisfy someone else's pedantic needs.

wade moore
01-22-2009, 03:10 PM
Holy fuck you people. I didn't say I will NEVER watch a DiCaprio movie. I just DON'T GO OUT OF MY WAY TO WATCH THEM. And that's meant I haven't seen any of them. I'm done.

O RLY?

larrymcg421
01-22-2009, 03:13 PM
DiCaprio and Pitt are great actors, but they're not elite. When the pitch is in their wheelhouse they hit it out of the park. But the elite actors can do anything. For example, Philip Seymour Hoffman could have played Pitt's role in Burn After Reading, but Pitt couldn't have played the lead in In Cold Blood without a substantial drop-off. Or take Robert Downey. Show me a movie where he couldn't have taken DiCaprio's role and improved on it. These things are obvious when you have two actors in equal roles opposite each other and one can't keep up, like in Brokeback Mountain. You give Jake's role to Robert Downey and you've got an even better movie. or better yet (and a very weird thought), you could have had Heath play both roles.

I don't think range is the only thing that defines an actor. I think a guy that has charisma can be underrated. I was reading a really great book that was a long interview of Billy Wilder by Cameron Crowe. In it, Wilder talks about how Cary Grant was underrated. He said that Grant could say something simple like "Tennis, anyone?" and no one else could say it the same way he did.

And to be fair, Hoffman certainly couldn't have played Pitt's role in Troy, for example. And I don't think Downey could have improved on DiCaprio in Titanic. His offbeat sensibility would have killed the tone of the central romance.

Now, I say that as a huge fan of both Hoffman and Downey. They're two of the best. But someone like DiCaprio (or say, Clooney) shouldn't be underrated just because he's not a chameleon.

Lathum
01-22-2009, 03:13 PM
I think Wade just proved MikeVic's point for him.

wade moore
01-22-2009, 03:16 PM
I think Wade just proved MikeVic's point for him.
*shurg*

He says he actively goes out of his way to not see the movies without any actual concrete reason or experience with the actor.

Like I said, it's like "I hate broccoli" when you've never tasted it - it's a moronic opinion and I think it's well within someone's rights to call others out for it on a message board.

Ronnie Dobbs2
01-22-2009, 03:22 PM
I've never eaten dog shit either but I'm not inclined to give it a try just to satisfy someone else's pedantic needs.

We've had a good number of poor comparisons to what we're talking about so far... anyone want to try to top Jon?

ISiddiqui
01-22-2009, 03:23 PM
O RLY?

LOL!

That was awesome.

JonInMiddleGA
01-22-2009, 03:24 PM
He says he actively goes out of his way to not see the movies without any actual concrete reason or experience with the actor.

So you think there's some reason required to dislike, just to pick an example, Kathy Griffin as an actress based on your experiences with her in other forms of media?

Sorry, but I'm not seeing that at all. If someone annoys you past the point of being able to see the character rather than as an irritating git (as one possible example) then it seems completely reasonable to know that you will not be able to enjoy their perfomance or phrased differently "hate them as an actor".

And to be honest, I'm starting to become a little concern about this impassioned defense of some guy who really couldn't care less if you live or die. Seems a little too mancrushy to be entirely comfortable.

JonInMiddleGA
01-22-2009, 03:25 PM
We've had a good number of poor comparisons to what we're talking about so far... anyone want to try to top Jon?

Umm, how does that not apply to what it was in reference to, the poorly drawn food analogy. :rolleyes:

wade moore
01-22-2009, 03:26 PM
Sweet - we've moved to the Middle School Locker Room style argument.

ISiddiqui
So you think there's some reason required to dislike, just to pick an example, Kathy Griffin as an actress based on your experiences with her in other forms of media?

A concrete reason would be that reviews of the movie suck ass (likely for any Griffin movie).

Sorry, but I'm not seeing that at all. If someone annoys you past the point of being able to see the character rather than as an irritating git (as one possible example) then it seems completely reasonable to know that you will not be able to enjoy their perfomance or phrased differently "hate them as an actor".

I'd imagine that you'd be able to tell what exactly makes you think they are irritating git. If it is just from 10 minutes of watching movie trailers, then I'd think that would be a piss poor reason.

Seems a little too mancrushy to be entirely comfortable.

OMG! It's teh gayness!

ntndeacon
I disagree that Ledger was the best Supporting performance this year. I thought that Josh Brolin was excellent in Milk. I would be happy for that upset to be sure. Plus I was rivited with Aaron Eckhart as well in the Dark Knight.

ISiddiqui
01-22-2009, 03:28 PM
I disagree that Ledger was the best Supporting performance this year. I thought that Josh Brolin was excellent in Milk. I would be happy for that upset to be sure. Plus I was rivited with Aaron Eckhart as well in the Dark Knight.

Downey, Jr. was pretty good as well, IMO. But I'd give it to Ledger. I'd rate it: Ledger -> Downey, Jr. -> Brolin

JonInMiddleGA
01-22-2009, 03:30 PM
I'd imagine that you'd be able to tell what exactly makes you think they are irritating git. If it is just from 10 minutes of watching movie trailers, then I'd think that would be a piss poor reason.

So you readily supply a concrete reason for anything you dislike? Hell, I don't care for the color purple (although that one I could actually explain), the taste of coconut, or paisley but damned if I could give you any solid basis for those last two.

Some things in life just are.

flere-imsaho
01-22-2009, 03:32 PM

No one expects <strike>The Spanish Inquisition</strike> wade moore!!!!!

ISiddiqui
01-22-2009, 03:33 PM
I'd imagine you'd tried coconut before before that opinion. Purple, even without your reason, probably is an easy explination too (social expectations on certain colors like purple, pink, blue, etc).

sterlingice
01-22-2009, 03:43 PM
Or take Robert Downey.

As a sidebar, is he really regarded as one of the best nowadays? I just don't see it...

SI

Lathum
01-22-2009, 03:44 PM
I am one of those people who refuses to try certain foods.

Carrot Cake, Bread Pudding, Blood Oranges, goat cheese?

Some foods just don't belong combined together

JonInMiddleGA
01-22-2009, 03:49 PM
I'd imagine you'd tried coconut before before that opinion. Purple, even without your reason, probably is an easy explination too (social expectations on certain colors like purple, pink, blue, etc).

Actually my purple hatred has to do with its association as a (high school) rivals school colors.

On the coconut thing, even with a sample, I still can't define what it is I don't like other than absolutely finding it disgusting. In other words, I can't say it's too spicy/bland/textury/nutty/cocoey or anything specific, I just find it nauseating. Same relationship I have with malt, like in malted milk balls. Nothing concrete I can put my finger on, I just think it's awful. So do I need to try those things in cake, pudding, raw, and in various forms to be able to reach a pretty definitive conclusion about them? I'd say not.

I'm pretty sure that MikeVic has encountered ... which celeb was it this was about again? ... at some point in some form of media. Once you hit the point with them that you can't get past whatever reason you disliked coconut, err, the actor then it seems pretty reasonable that you pretty much hate them period & that nothing further should be required. Again, some stuff in life just is.

lordscarlet
01-22-2009, 03:53 PM
I am one of those people who refuses to try certain foods.

Carrot Cake, Bread Pudding, Blood Oranges, goat cheese?

Some foods just don't belong combined together

I love at least three of those. ;) Not sure if I have had Blood Oranges.

MIJB#19
01-22-2009, 04:06 PM
Enough about MikeVic and his hatred for Leonardo DiCaprio, okay?
I want to hear more about ISiddiqui's man crush on Brad Pitt, damnit!

RendeR
01-22-2009, 04:12 PM
Blood oranges are just oranges Lathum, the meat inside is red thats all =)

I love carrot cake, I hated it as a kid but someone slipped me a piece and told me it was sometihng else and I ate it. Was delicious. now its my favorite kind of cake.

Goat cheese I simply can't eat, its got texture issues.

bread pudding, while edible, I would never consider calling good.

anyway, Wade and Isi have really gone a long way to prove mikeV's point. Sometimes people ust rub you the wrong way and just hearing their name can piss you off ;)

j/k guys ;)

ISiddiqui
01-22-2009, 04:44 PM
As a sidebar, is he really regarded as one of the best nowadays? I just don't see it...

SI

Have you seen "Tropic Thunder" yet? I still can't believe he managed to pull off 'blackface'.

Btw, blood oranges are awesome, goat cheese is pretty tasty (but only on certain things), carrot cake when done right is very good, and bread pudding is ok.

Buccaneer
01-22-2009, 06:27 PM
I think Ledger's performance in TDK was one of the greatest of all time - definitely Oscar worthy. The movie, not so much. Without Ledger, TDK would rate 5/10 at best.

MrBug708
01-22-2009, 06:44 PM
I don't understand not liking Leo DiCaprio? His films generally do very well, you never leave the theatre thinking someone could have done a better job, and he's probably more talented then 95% of the actors out there? Not that it's saying too much, but he's easily the best actor of "his generation"

MrBug708
01-22-2009, 06:48 PM
Have you seen "Tropic Thunder" yet? I still can't believe he managed to pull off 'blackface'.

Btw, blood oranges are awesome, goat cheese is pretty tasty (but only on certain things), carrot cake when done right is very good, and bread pudding is ok.

I seriously hope that when they give his "movie blimp" when they annouce his name for the nomination at the academy awards, they give the line "I don't read the script. The script reads me."

MrDNA
01-22-2009, 07:27 PM
I think Ledger's performance in TDK was one of the greatest of all time - definitely Oscar worthy. The movie, not so much. Without Ledger, TDK would rate 5/10 at best.

QFT. I am a very anti-hype guy, so I usually end up disliking things that get a lot of press ahead of time. Even with everything said about Ledger in TDK beforehand, I still thought he was amazing. Like Bucc says, without him it would've been a disposible flick. I would even go so far to say that he is the lead actor in that movie - he carries it far more than Batman/Bale does IMO.

Glad to see Slumdog with so many nods. I really enjoyed that. With my budget, the Wrestler probably has to wait for DVD, which is a shame.

MrDNA
01-22-2009, 07:28 PM
dola

And goat cheese friggin rules.

Pumpy Tudors
01-22-2009, 07:30 PM
This shit got too serious way too fast. I hope everyone in this thread eats a cookie that's just a tiny bit too stale.

Young Drachma
01-22-2009, 07:34 PM
Wow. So much for this thread.

King of New York
01-22-2009, 07:35 PM
Leo DiCaprio was excellent in "Blood Oranges." Although I never saw it. I didn't go out of my way not to see it, but I didn't go out of my way to see it either. Twice.

What is the tastiest stale cookie?

Pumpy Tudors
01-22-2009, 07:36 PM
What is the tastiest stale cookie?
I don't know, but I hope you eat two of them.

Lorena
01-22-2009, 07:41 PM
dola

And goat cheese friggin rules.

All this talk about goat cheese and I've never had it.. guess I'll have add it to my grocery shopping list.

So how do I eat the stuff? Is it soft enough to put on crackers or can I crumble it over my beans and rice?

MJ4H
01-22-2009, 07:43 PM
Chips Ahoy

flere-imsaho
01-22-2009, 08:31 PM
Goat cheese is awesome. You can have it on crackers, stuff it in a backed chicken, or do my favorite, which is to grill poblano peppers and then melt the goat cheese on top of them (they've already been sliced in half before grilling) over the grill.

Yummy! :D

ISiddiqui
01-22-2009, 10:31 PM
I seriously hope that when they give his "movie blimp" when they annouce his name for the nomination at the academy awards, they give the line "I don't read the script. The script reads me."

:D

Downey, Jr. has some awesome lines in that movie. I bet, though, they'll use "I know who I am! I'm a dude, playing a dude, disguised as another dude"

Sgran
01-23-2009, 05:14 AM
Here's one blog about Downey, though I don't agree with everything: Top 10 Robert Downey Jr. Performances | The Movie Blog (http://www.themovieblog.com/2008/09/top-10-robert-downey-jr-performances)

I think his best performance was in A Scanner Darkly. He and Del Toro made that movie worth watching, and the scene they had together was classic.

Neon_Chaos
01-23-2009, 06:06 AM
Umm, how does that not apply to what it was in reference to, the poorly drawn food analogy. :rolleyes:

Dogshit isn't food.

sterlingice
01-23-2009, 07:17 AM
Here's one blog about Downey, though I don't agree with everything: Top 10 Robert Downey Jr. Performances | The Movie Blog (http://www.themovieblog.com/2008/09/top-10-robert-downey-jr-performances)

I think his best performance was in A Scanner Darkly. He and Del Toro made that movie worth watching, and the scene they had together was classic.

I just started skimming it after seeing Kiss Kiss Bang Bang at the top of the list. Aside from having the great line about girls from the East Coast/California, that movie pretty much sucked. I don't know if that's representative of what other people think are a great list for him, but about half of that list are action movies which we've already discussed a little in this thread about how they don't get any love in the realm of critical acclaim.

SI

Scoobz0202
01-23-2009, 10:56 AM
I actually thought Kiss Kiss Bang Bang was brilliant and have watched it many times. Downey Jr. was excellent in that movie, as well.