PDA

View Full Version : Man on Fire

BigPapi
01-23-2009, 01:36 PM
Just re-watched this movie again last night.....Definitely in my top 10- Denzel played this perfectly IMO. Sure it's a bit stereotypical, but there are few movies I've enjoyed more than this one for dishing out good ole' vigilante justice. Waffling about the political correctness of the film definitely wasn't a subject of much debate here....And for as outlandish as the general theme was, the movie never seemed beyond plausible.

One other thing that really struck was how powerful and influential the movie's musical score was on me- almost in every scene. Lots of classic lines in here as well; I love Walken's "Creasy's art is death....And he's about to paint his masterpiece" or Creasy's "Forgiveness is between them and God. It's my job to arrange the meeting".

wade moore
01-23-2009, 01:41 PM
Random story about this movie:

I went to see this in the theatre. We got to the end scene right before you get a real resolution to what would happen and the power cuts out.

I went like 6 months before knowing how the movie ended.

lordscarlet
01-23-2009, 01:47 PM
Just re-watched this movie again last night.....Definitely in my top 10- Denzel played this perfectly IMO. Sure it's a bit stereotypical, but there are few movies I've enjoyed more than this one for dishing out good ole' vigilante justice. Waffling about the political correctness of the film definitely wasn't a subject of much debate here....And for as outlandish as the general theme was, the movie never seemed beyond plausible.

One other thing that really struck was how powerful and influential the movie's musical score was on me- almost in every scene. Lot's of classic lines in here as well; I love Walken's "Creasy's art is death....And he's about to paint his masterpiece" or Creasy's "Forgiveness is between them and God. It's my job to arrange the meeting".

I think I would put Fallen ahead of Man on Fire for many of the same reasons. That's my top Denzel movie, just ahead of Glory.

BigPapi
01-23-2009, 02:07 PM
I think I would put Fallen ahead of Man on Fire for many of the same reasons. That's my top Denzel movie, just ahead of Glory.

I've got that one sitting at home to watch this weekend...I've been on a Denzel kick lately- and thought he could do no wrong until I watched the pile of poo that was "Bone Collector" last night.....Oh, well- looking forward to Fallen after hearing your endorsement!

lordscarlet
01-23-2009, 02:13 PM
I've got that one sitting at home to watch this weekend...I've been on a Denzel kick lately- and thought he could do no wrong until I watched the pile of poo that was "Bone Collector" last night.....Oh, well- looking forward to Fallen after hearing your endorsement!

I hope you agree. :)

gstelmack
01-23-2009, 02:14 PM
I loved the story and all, I just hated the cinematography. I wish Hollywood would get off this kick of trying to make the audience sick and just hold the freakin' camera still and get rid of all the damn color tricks so I can follow what's going on. Stupid Saving Private Ryan (which was responsible for this thanks to its success of the hand-held camera and washed out color that's ruined almost every action movie since...)

Young Drachma
01-23-2009, 02:15 PM
I never saw Fallen. But Man On Fire is for sure a solid pic.

MizzouRah
01-23-2009, 04:43 PM
Agreed, one of my top 20 movies of all time.

stevew
01-23-2009, 05:40 PM
Denzel plays the same character in every film.

Young Drachma
01-23-2009, 06:04 PM

I don't think that's true. Will Smith? Yeah. But not Denzel.

judicial clerk
01-23-2009, 07:40 PM
I think he played a different character in Training Day, which by the way was probably his second best performance after Glory.

BigPapi
01-23-2009, 09:15 PM
I hope you agree. :)

Just finished watching Fallen. Much slower pace than Man on Fire- and certainly a lot more subtle. Denzel in true form. I really liked it. I called the ending wrong- was really hoping Denzel's plan was to fight off Azazel instead of the way it ended...Guess the constant close-ups of the cigarettes should have tipped me off.

I don't think Denzel always plays the same part as much as he always plays a strong character; but as in Training Day, as someone mentioned above- he is clearly comfortable playing the villain....Are there any examples of him playing a more passive role in a movie? I think I have ony seen about half of his movies.

kingnebwsu
01-23-2009, 10:38 PM
Training Day wasn't that great of a movie, but Denzel definitely deserved an Oscar nomination for his role.

TheOhioStateUniversity
01-24-2009, 07:10 AM

see Training Day. Glory, Malcolm X, Remember the Titans, and The Hurricane... to name a few.

Kodos
01-24-2009, 08:42 AM
Map on fire:

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/cTWB_ByQD4w&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/cTWB_ByQD4w&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>