PDA

View Full Version : Super Bowl food

MizzouRah
01-25-2009, 12:01 PM
A week before the big game and I'm already thinking about the Super Bowl party my dad has every year.

This year I'm bringing BLT dip (thanks Paula Dean) and homemade meat ball subs!

My dad is making his ham and beans.. oh my.. I can't wait!!

What else is everyone cooking up?

Danny
01-25-2009, 12:05 PM
BLT dip, have to look that one up. My wife and I are considering inviting over a couple people or maybe just having the two of us. Either way, I know will be having homemade buffalo wings for sure. We'll see what else.

CU Tiger
01-25-2009, 12:23 PM
home made hot wings in several flavors

AZSpeechCoach
01-25-2009, 12:23 PM
Homemade flavored popcorn, my bomb-ass guacamole, hot dogs, pork adobo, and whatever else people choose to bring.

PurdueBrad
01-25-2009, 12:44 PM
Last time the Steelers (the team I root for) were in the Super Bowl, I made homemade Primanti Bros. sandwiches and things turned out well so...looks like big, fat sandwiches for everybody once again!

Abe Sargent
01-25-2009, 12:47 PM
If there's no sausage or brautwurst or something like that, then its not football food.

sterlingice
01-25-2009, 12:56 PM
We're just doing beer brats and undetermined other food

SI

MizzouRah
01-25-2009, 01:15 PM
BLT dip, have to look that one up. My wife and I are considering inviting over a couple people or maybe just having the two of us. Either way, I know will be having homemade buffalo wings for sure. We'll see what else.

BLT Appetizer

<dl class="times"><dt>Prep Time:</dt><dd class="prep-time">5 min</dd><dt>Inactive Prep Time:</dt><dd class="wait-time">0 min</dd><dt>Cook Time:</dt><dd class="cook-time">10 min</dd></dl> <dl class="level"><dt>Level:</dt><dd class="difficulty">Easy</dd></dl> <dl class="serves"><dt>Serves:</dt><dd class="yield">8 servings</dd></dl>
1 cup mayonnaise
1 cup sour cream
Iceberg lettuce, shredded
2 large vine-ripe tomatoes, chopped
1 pound lean bacon, cooked crisp and crumbled
Sea salt bagel chips
Combine the mayonnaise and sour cream in a small bowl with a snap-on lid. When well mixed, refrigerate until serving time. When ready to serve, place the mayonnaise mixture in a large serving bowl. Top with the lettuce, tomatoes and bacon. Serve with bagel chips.

MizzouRah
01-25-2009, 01:17 PM
Let's see, we'll also have:

Sticky and sweet wings - using a sauce made with brown sugar, butter, picante and of course hot sauce

Chili

Cheese balls

Homemade banana pie

MacroGuru
01-25-2009, 01:22 PM
Chili Dog Nachos, Stuffed Mushrooms, Wings and Lots of Chips and Salsa...

I haven't figured out the drinks yet...I am working on that.

Lathum
01-25-2009, 02:05 PM
Lots of Alcohol.

Chips, poppers, a cheese platter, a veggie platter and dip. Basicly I am gonna go crazy at Costco.

My wife will probably make her baked Mac n Cheese, it is amazing, I'll post the receipe if anyone wants it.

Bad-example
01-25-2009, 02:15 PM
Considering a trip to Wing Stop. Their lemon pepper wings are my current favorite heart-killing type food. The smell on the drive home is almost better than the eating.

M GO BLUE!!!
01-25-2009, 03:13 PM
I'm gonna pick up a party tray of smoked chicken wings.

JediKooter
01-25-2009, 03:37 PM
We're spit roasting a virgin we just bought for 3.7 million dollars.

SnowMan
01-25-2009, 04:32 PM
Whatever I bring to work. :(

Draft Dodger
01-25-2009, 04:37 PM
Whatever they sell at the stadium

PurdueBrad
01-25-2009, 04:54 PM
Lots of Alcohol.

Chips, poppers, a cheese platter, a veggie platter and dip. Basicly I am gonna go crazy at Costco.

My wife will probably make her baked Mac n Cheese, it is amazing, I'll post the receipe if anyone wants it.

Lathum, if you don't mind, my fave food is Mac n Cheese and I would love to have her recipe. Thanks!

PB

Dr. Sak
01-25-2009, 04:56 PM
Last time the Steelers (the team I root for) were in the Super Bowl, I made homemade Primanti Bros. sandwiches and things turned out well so...looks like big, fat sandwiches for everybody once again!

Don't forget the Red Devil hot sauce!

Karlifornia
01-25-2009, 06:12 PM
We're going to my have my favorite food stuffed with my roommates favorite food...so lobster stuffed with tacos.

PurdueBrad
01-25-2009, 07:07 PM
Don't forget the Red Devil hot sauce!

A man that knows his sandwiches...nice! :devil: on every sandwich.

M GO BLUE!!!
01-25-2009, 07:29 PM
We're spit roasting a virgin we just bought for 3.7 million dollars.

Well, I like it. :lol:

MizzouRah
01-26-2009, 10:49 AM
No beer cheese dip? yum yum

We had beer cheese soup last year.. yum yum

Logan
01-26-2009, 11:26 AM
We had a NYE party and one of the girls brought over a buffalo chicken dip that was insane. Pretty simple actually...think it had chopped up chicken, plenty of cheese, ranch dressing, and hot sauce. She better bring it for the Super Bowl or she won't be let in.

stevew
01-26-2009, 12:07 PM
Buffalo chicken dip stuffed wontons

Bacon cheddar sliders

Fried pirogies(sp)

Homemade pretzels and beer cheese dip.

Maybe some Texas chili too. Depending on time

Logan
01-26-2009, 12:26 PM
Buffalo chicken dip stuffed wontons

This requires elaboration please.

Samdari
01-26-2009, 12:38 PM
BLT Appetizer

<dl class="times"><dt>Prep Time:</dt><dd class="prep-time">5 min</dd><dt>Inactive Prep Time:</dt><dd class="wait-time">0 min</dd><dt>Cook Time:</dt><dd class="cook-time">10 min</dd></dl> <dl class="level"><dt>Level:</dt><dd class="difficulty">Easy</dd></dl> <dl class="serves"><dt>Serves:</dt><dd class="yield">8 servings</dd></dl>
1 cup mayonnaise
1 cup sour cream
Iceberg lettuce, shredded
2 large vine-ripe tomatoes, chopped
1 pound lean bacon, cooked crisp and crumbled
Sea salt bagel chips
Combine the mayonnaise and sour cream in a small bowl with a snap-on lid. When well mixed, refrigerate until serving time. When ready to serve, place the mayonnaise mixture in a large serving bowl. Top with the lettuce, tomatoes and bacon. Serve with bagel chips.

You're basically eating mayonnaise on a chip.

That's.... brilliant.

EDIT: Get rid of the tomatoes and lettuce, and she might be on to something.

Schmidty
01-26-2009, 12:51 PM
Whatever I bring to work. :(

+1 :(

terpkristin
01-26-2009, 12:56 PM
We had a NYE party and one of the girls brought over a buffalo chicken dip that was insane. Pretty simple actually...think it had chopped up chicken, plenty of cheese, ranch dressing, and hot sauce. She better bring it for the Super Bowl or she won't be let in.

Oddly enough, Campbell's "Meal Mail" (recipe a day email) had a recipe for something like this today. It used canned chunk chicken breast, but I think it'd work just as well if not better with fresh chicken breast (like getting a rotissire chicken and cutting it up and putting it in).

/tk

RendeR
01-26-2009, 01:35 PM
We're having telle's birthday party at the same time, earlier in the day:

Sloppy joes
barbQ cihcken breast
Mexican style cheese/meat dip w tortilla chips
Seasoned Roasted potatoes
Pasta Salad
Corn bread
and of course, cake ;)

MizzouRah
01-26-2009, 01:50 PM
You're basically eating mayonnaise on a chip.

That's.... brilliant.

EDIT: Get rid of the tomatoes and lettuce, and she might be on to something.

Hey.. it's only a cup! :)

That's Paula Dean for you.. I'm going to use low fat mayo.. just so I feel better when I eat most of it.

My wife makes a buffalo chicken dip with cream cheese, canned white meat chicked, hot sauce and ranch dressing.. mix all those up and microwave.. yummy!!!

Logan
01-26-2009, 01:55 PM
Oddly enough, Campbell's "Meal Mail" (recipe a day email) had a recipe for something like this today. It used canned chunk chicken breast, but I think it'd work just as well if not better with fresh chicken breast (like getting a rotissire chicken and cutting it up and putting it in).

/tk

Yeah, after posting that I googled "buffalo chicken dip recipe" and found some, all of which contained canned chicken. I'm not sure what she used, and it might have actually been canned, because from what I remember (it was, after all, NYE) the pieces of chicken were very small and just gave the dip a little extra consistency as opposed to being big chunks of diced chicken.

So if you do go the way of real chicken, my recommendation would be to dice it up really well.

Samdari
01-26-2009, 03:33 PM
My wife makes a buffalo chicken dip with cream cheese, canned white meat chicked, hot sauce and ranch dressing.. mix all those up and microwave.. yummy!!!

Except, that if its got ranch, the words "buffalo chicken" do not apply.

Please refer to it as Southern Bastardization of Buffalo Chicken.

RendeR
01-26-2009, 04:02 PM
It is rather annoying that anytme someone uses Hot Suace they slap "Buffalo" in front of it

They're not Buffalo wings, they're just Fucking "WINGS"

end sociapathic rant/

stevew
01-26-2009, 05:10 PM
This requires elaboration please.

Basically a variation of the crab cheese wonton you see at most Chinese buffets. Stuff the chicken dip mixture in a eggroll shell and fry. Serve with a bleu chese dip spiced up with some hot sauce.

MizzouRah
01-26-2009, 05:13 PM
Except, that if its got ranch, the words "buffalo chicken" do not apply.

Please refer to it as Southern Bastardization of Buffalo Chicken.

I really dislike that nasty dressing they call blue cheese.

Danny
01-26-2009, 05:18 PM
I like to dip my buffalo wings in ranch. I love the buffalo/ranch sauce combo

Groundhog
01-26-2009, 06:14 PM
Ahhh the Super Bowl. The one time of the year I start drinking at 9am - which is when the broadcast begins, local time.

Not so worried about the food aspect, but I'll be shocked if I'm still awake at 7pm that night.

MizzouRah
01-26-2009, 06:40 PM

Only real chicken wing eaters do... :p

Lathum
01-26-2009, 06:44 PM
Ahhh the Super Bowl. The one time of the year I start drinking at 9am - which is when the broadcast begins, local time.

damn, once a year?

On the west coast Giants games start at 10:00 AM usualy. I am almost always at a bar by 9:30 AM drinking every sunday.

Izulde
01-26-2009, 06:44 PM
Reading this thread makes me really hungry. I think I'll order pizza delivery.

Lathum
01-26-2009, 06:47 PM
Reading this thread makes me really hungry. I think I'll order pizza delivery.

may the force be with you.

Izulde
01-26-2009, 06:51 PM
may the force be with you.

Heh. They're not delivering tonight.

Izulde
01-26-2009, 07:01 PM
Pizza Hut's delivering, but $21.13 is just ridiculous. *sigh* oh well, need to eat after all.

Lathum
01-26-2009, 07:04 PM
Heh. They're not delivering tonight.

you lack discipline.

Izulde
01-26-2009, 07:07 PM
you lack discipline.

Well, it's glare ice on the roads and this being Arkansas, they're not equipped to handle it. There's even talk of canceling classes tomorrow and Wednesday. :rolleyes:

I'd have gone to eat at the dining hall, but they haven't salted the steep arsed Dickson Street hill yet and it's like glass. Plus, I'd be really pissed if I got there and they closed up shop because of the weather.

Joe
01-26-2009, 07:55 PM
Grape jelly and chili sauce meatballs

Samdari
01-27-2009, 08:16 AM

You can like whatever you want.

You just have to stop calling them Buffalo wings, because they cease being that once dipped in ranch instead of blue cheese.

ISiddiqui
01-27-2009, 08:26 AM
Jeez, you people are as bad as the Texas chili freaks.

Logan
01-27-2009, 10:06 AM
Jeez, you people are as bad as the Texas chili freaks.

No shit. I definitely use blue cheese, but is it not a buffalo wing if you don't dip it in anything at all? Wouldn't that be the more manly thing to do, not needing the coolness of blue cheese to lessen the heat?

Looks like we have another entry into the "snob" category along with the wine and "if it's not a microbrew that is only available every other Wednesday in Sandusky, Ohio, it's not a real beer" crowd.

ISiddiqui
01-27-2009, 10:11 AM
Indeed... I'm a fan of letting people do whatever they want with their food. As long as they like it, who am I to judge (well, at least outwardly ;)). Oh, and I prefer my wings un-dipped.

Except for the people that think Chicago "pizza" is real pizza :mad: ;) (j/k)

Lathum
01-27-2009, 10:23 AM
Except for the people that think Chicago "pizza" is real pizza :mad: ;) (j/k)

so true.

The only true pizza in the US is only found between Philly and Boston.

ISiddiqui
01-27-2009, 10:29 AM
I'd say Wilmington to New Haven, but similar areas.

Danny
02-01-2009, 03:30 PM
Think the final tally for us is buffalo wings, BLT dip, buffalo chicken dip and chili dog nachos. Thanks for all of the great ideas guys!

Pumpy Tudors
02-01-2009, 04:12 PM
I'm having Halls Ginger Ale cough drops, thanks.

Danny
02-01-2009, 04:12 PM
I'm sick too, but I will eat the food I want, sick be damned

MizzouRah
02-01-2009, 10:30 PM
I feel like I'm going to explode.

cuervo72
02-02-2009, 10:50 AM
We had:

mini crab cake appetizers
mini corn dogs
spinach puffs
tortilla chips
two dips my kids made
Tostitos spinach dip
mozzarella sticks
melted velveeta & salsa dip
chili (Cincy spices, but with peppers, pintos & kidneys...was good)
raw veggies

We have a lot of leftovers (this was just for the wife, kids and me).

MizzouRah
02-02-2009, 12:38 PM
Yeah, there's a 24 hour flu bug going around and 5 people couldn't make it, so the fridge is full with leftovers.

Passacaglia
02-03-2009, 02:44 PM
Based on this thread, I found a recipe for Buffalo Chicken Dip online and made it, and was unimpressed. Granted, I modified it pretty heavily -- I used blue cheese dressing instead of ranch, and I didn't put any cheddar cheese on top (I was already making a few other things with cheddar cheese, and who has buffalo wings with cheddar cheese anyway?), and I used chicken breast cut into really small pieces instead of canned chicken (no way was I going to find "canned chunk chicken" in the madness that was my grocery store on Super Bowl Sunday). But I think the problem was that it called for way too much cream cheese -- it really took away from the flavor of the hot sauce. There was a bit of a spicy kick to it, just no flavor.

cuervo72
02-03-2009, 03:15 PM
Based on this thread, I found a recipe for Buffalo Chicken Dip online and made it, and was unimpressed. Granted, I modified it pretty heavily -- I used blue cheese dressing instead of ranch, and I didn't put any cheddar cheese on top (I was already making a few other things with cheddar cheese, and who has buffalo wings with cheddar cheese anyway?), and I used chicken breast cut into really small pieces instead of canned chicken (no way was I going to find "canned chunk chicken" in the madness that was my grocery store on Super Bowl Sunday). But I think the problem was that it called for way too much cream cheese -- it really took away from the flavor of the hot sauce. There was a bit of a spicy kick to it, just no flavor.

I heard of this great recipe for a sandwich called a Reuben. It called for corned beef, but I couldn't find any so I used some sliced roast beef instead. I wasn't going to go out of my way to find sauerkraut, so I substituted cole slaw - I mean they're both cabbage, right? And I don't know about "thousand island dressing" so I used some Kraft Thick 'n' Spicy. I skipped the swiss cheese and put it on a kaiser roll.

I don't know what the big deal about these Reubens are. I mean, you might as well just have a BBQ sandwich.

Logan
02-03-2009, 03:20 PM
Yeah, pretty massive fail by Pass here :).

Same girl from New Years brought the buffalo dip again...it was even better sober.

Passacaglia
02-03-2009, 06:20 PM
Yeah -- the blue cheese instead of ranch probably wasn't a good idea, and made it thicker than it should have been, but hey, shouldn't those buffalo wing purists be backing me here? And I'd never heard of "canned chunk chicken" and had no idea where to find it in a grocery store. Anyway, it's better upon reheat.

MizzouRah
02-04-2009, 08:38 AM
Pass.. it's in the same aisle as tuna fish.