PDA

View Full Version : MLB 2K9

MizzouRah
01-27-2009, 08:12 PM
Finally some more screens and a hands-on!

IGN: Major League Baseball 2K9 Preview (http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/948/948394p1.html)

Screens look nice... can't wait to see some actual game play.

Now the mechanic works like this: Make one move with the right stick and a circle fills, when it reaches its max you make the second motion with the stick. Complete those two steps (you can opt to add the third step through the menus) and your pitch should be spot-on. The difficulty of pitching raises as you progress through a game and your pitcher becomes fatigued. Of course, composure is also a factor so you'll need make sure that your setup man has the fortitude to face Ryan Howard with a man on second and third with nobody out in the eighth inning.

A third? VERY interesting...

Rather than having to perfectly time your step with the pitch and then the all-important swing, players can now simply hold down on the right analog and swing when the time is right without fear of looking like a lumberjack chopping wood. This made it much easier to tee off on balls with the big boys of the lineup. That is, once I got the timing down.

This sounds great to me.

Other aesthetic differences from MLB 2K8 include a new base throwing meter that is functionally the same as last year (meaning it's still governed by the right stick) and pitches that are identifiable thanks to a flash of color as they cross the plate.

Love the color to determine pitches.. MVP had this.

The change starts with a new duo in the booth in Gary Thorne and Steve Phillips. Almost as important is the fact that their comments will now be able to cut off when something exciting happens in the game, then pickup where they left off once things calm down. It might seem small, but the feature helped keep the two commentators from droning on needlessly.

Interesting..

2K Share feature that some might remember from NBA 2K9. It lets you give other gamers things like your settings, created players and roster settings.

Glad that's in...

MLB 2K9 has some features that baseball nuts will surely appreciate (like the ability to save in the middle of any game)

YES!!!

rowech
01-27-2009, 08:25 PM
I'll still be reading before buying...

MizzouRah
01-27-2009, 08:43 PM
I'll still be reading before buying...

I'm with you...

CraigSca
01-27-2009, 10:07 PM
Not to be a bug in the bonnet, but - and it may just be what the preview guys are saying vs. the actual game but...wouldn't it make more sense to flash a pitch color as the ball is released rather than "as they cross the plate"? Isn't it too late by that time?

MizzouRah
01-27-2009, 11:45 PM
Not to be a bug in the bonnet, but - and it may just be what the preview guys are saying vs. the actual game but...wouldn't it make more sense to flash a pitch color as the ball is released rather than "as they cross the plate"? Isn't it too late by that time?

I'm looking at it as a tool to learn what the pitcher is throwing early in a game.

SnowMan
01-28-2009, 12:18 AM
I'd like it if the color flashed earlier depending on the batter's ratings. Good hitters would recognize the pitch type earlier than poor hitters.

CraigSca
01-28-2009, 08:58 AM
I'd like it if the color flashed earlier depending on the batter's ratings. Good hitters would recognize the pitch type earlier than poor hitters.

THAT would be kind of cool.

I guess the point I was making is - if it's a change-up, you'll know by the time it gets to the plate what it was (despite your desperate swing two hours early). And, if it's a fastball, you'll know to start your swing early and not have it blown past you.

However, I agree with Snowman - it would be neat if the timing of the color flash depended on the batter's ability.

MizzouRah
02-04-2009, 08:29 AM
MLB 2k9 coming to the PC

WorthPlaying - Xbox 360 (X360) , PlayStation 3 (PS3), Nintendo Wii, Xbox, PlayStation 2 (PS2), GameCube (NGC), PSP, Nintendo DS (NDS), GBA, Windows PC - All about games ! (http://www.worthplaying.com/article.php?sid=59447)

DaddyTorgo
02-04-2009, 08:39 AM
MLB 2k9 coming to the PC

WorthPlaying - Xbox 360 (X360) , PlayStation 3 (PS3), Nintendo Wii, Xbox, PlayStation 2 (PS2), GameCube (NGC), PSP, Nintendo DS (NDS), GBA, Windows PC - All about games ! (http://www.worthplaying.com/article.php?sid=59447)

oh hell yes!

and i can play nba 2k9 on my laptop so i should be alright graphically!

MizzouRah
02-04-2009, 10:55 AM
I'm still going to get in for the 360 but...

At least hopefully it will breathe new life into PC baseball gaming.

DaddyTorgo
02-04-2009, 11:08 AM
hopefully there will be some quality modding done to it on PC too - maybe some of the old EA-modders who have been modding MVP 05 every year will mod it up instead.

Galaxy
02-04-2009, 11:34 AM
What's the release date?

MizzouRah
02-04-2009, 01:24 PM
3/3 it ships, but I don't see anything about it being on the pc yet, aside from that article.

DaddyTorgo
02-04-2009, 01:33 PM
re: pc version - there's a thread on the 2k forums

MLB 2K9 will be on PC - 2K Sports Forums (http://2ksports.com/forums/showthread.php?t=205082)

Yes, the PC is a port of the 360/PS3. The controller system will be based on the new system relevant to those systems.

No confirmed release date or word about online quite yet. Those are coming soon.

hopefully it'll be on Steam like NBA 2k9 was, and at that same gorgeous price-point. Fuckin awesome news either way, and unless it's shitty as hell I'll be buyin.

Still can't wait to see our text-sim baseball games for the year too

SnowMan
02-04-2009, 06:15 PM
Any news of a demo, yet?

Mizzou B-ball fan
02-17-2009, 07:29 AM
MLB 2K9 was in the media over the weekend, but mostly not for good reasons. First, OS released a hands-on preview. It was a mixed bag with some good and some bad.......

Operation Sports - Major League Baseball 2K9 Hands-On Preview Preview - Xbox 360 (http://www.operationsports.com/preview.php?id=62)

Second, there were several reports in the gaming media about 2KSports actually changing the look and configuration of the stadiums to include additional advertising in the stadiums. It's almost gaudy to be honest.

MLB 2K9 Going Overboard with Stadium Advertising | pastapadre.com (http://www.pastapadre.com/6322/mlb-2k9-going-overboard-with-stadium-advertising)

Bill Harris even pointed out that they changed the configuration of the left field wall in the Nationals' new stadium to allow room for a big ol' State Farm Insurance (!) advertisement.

Dubious Quality: The Low Road (http://dubiousquality.blogspot.com/2009/02/low-road.html)

DaddyTorgo
02-17-2009, 07:58 AM
*crash*

that was my hopes and dreams

DaddyTorgo
02-17-2009, 08:00 AM
okay wait - i don't mind say their example of wrigley field with the extra statefarm ad outside the wall. what i mind is this talk of making walls taller to add ads in and thus negatively affecting realism

Mizzou B-ball fan
02-17-2009, 08:14 AM
okay wait - i don't mind say their example of wrigley field with the extra statefarm ad outside the wall. what i mind is this talk of making walls taller to add ads in and thus negatively affecting realism

Here's the link showing the actual vs. in-game versions of the Nationals' stadium. You can see the in-game version is noticably taller........

Advertising: MLB 2K9 Ads Pushing Toward Obnoxious (http://kotaku.com/5153797/mlb-2k9-ads-pushing-toward-obnoxious)

DaddyTorgo
02-17-2009, 08:17 AM
*barf*

DaddyTorgo
02-17-2009, 08:17 AM
what makes them think people wouldn't notice this? or do they just figure console fanboys will buy it anyways?

DaddyTorgo
02-17-2009, 08:18 AM
that being said - i'm sure PC-modders will be able to take care of most of this (including hopefully dimensions and such). and like i said, the stuff off the field of play I could care less about...it'd be the stuff that changed the dimensions of the game that would irritate the "purist" in me.

billethius
02-17-2009, 10:25 AM
I buy a baseball game every year, and every year I hate it and am done with it within a month. I've finally learned my lesson, though, and won't be purchasing this one after how bad the last two were. If anything, I'll pick up a PS3 and The Show.

sooner333
02-17-2009, 01:10 PM
I just wish they would make MVP for Xbox compatable with the 360. Then I would never buy another baseball game (which is probably the case anyway).

rowech
02-17-2009, 02:40 PM
I buy a baseball game every year, and every year I hate it and am done with it within a month. I've finally learned my lesson, though, and won't be purchasing this one after how bad the last two were. If anything, I'll pick up a PS3 and The Show.

That's my plan as well.

DaddyTorgo
02-17-2009, 02:46 PM
I may just keep playing my modded version of MVP 05. Sure it takes half the season for the final to come out, but whatever.

sooner333
02-17-2009, 04:40 PM
I may just keep playing my modded version of MVP 05. Sure it takes half the season for the final to come out, but whatever.

I would almost throw down for whatever it costs to get the game, but I'm afraid my graphics card on my laptop might not cut it.

RainMaker
02-17-2009, 05:55 PM
Here's the link showing the actual vs. in-game versions of the Nationals' stadium. You can see the in-game version is noticably taller........

Advertising: MLB 2K9 Ads Pushing Toward Obnoxious (http://kotaku.com/5153797/mlb-2k9-ads-pushing-toward-obnoxious)

That's ridiculous if you ask me. Slap in the face to customers. I actually like to see games include advertising into them in natural ways. For instance on the rotating billboards behind home plate. I also don't mind calling someone your State Farm Player of the Game or the State Farm Starting Lineups. Adds an element of realism to the game. But changing the actual fields to fit an ad in there is just ridiculous.

Sweed
02-17-2009, 06:06 PM
That's ridiculous if you ask me. Slap in the face to customers. I actually like to see games include advertising into them in natural ways. For instance on the rotating billboards behind home plate. I also don't mind calling someone your State Farm Player of the Game or the State Farm Starting Lineups. Adds an element of realism to the game. But changing the actual fields to fit an ad in there is just ridiculous.

Agreed, using the real advertising locations in the stadiums adds to the immersion of the game. This shit 2k is pulling though is simply fucking ridiculous.

I hope it doesn't creep into their NBA title but then that would probably be harder to do. Probably (at least I hope they can't) can't bastardize the courts and the stands really aren't that visible. But after seeing this who's to say they won't take out the court-side seats:eek:

SnowMan
02-17-2009, 06:11 PM
The could turn the entire court into one big billboard!

RainMaker
02-17-2009, 06:14 PM
Agreed, using the real advertising locations in the stadiums adds to the immersion of the game. This shit 2k is pulling though is simply fucking ridiculous.

I hope it doesn't creep into their NBA title but then that would probably be harder to do. Probably (at least I hope they can't) can't bastardize the courts and the stands really aren't that visible. But after seeing this who's to say they won't take out the court-side seats:eek:

I don't get why they don't utilize the scrolling banners in NBA 2K. I'd love to see up-to-date ads on those.

MizzouRah
02-18-2009, 12:20 PM
While MBBF points out the bad.. there is also some good from the 2k9 camp.

Seems like the latest preview copy is much smoother and has some AI fixes as well:

MLB 2K9 Diary: Part 2

http://sports.espn.go.com/videogames/news/story?id=3913651 (http://sports.espn.go.com/videogames/news/story?id=3913651)

Practice mode:

http://gamecinemahd.com/video/major_league_baseball_2k9/3863 (http://gamecinemahd.com/video/major_league_baseball_2k9/3863)

Hands on preview from G4:

http://g4tv.com/xplay/videos/36764/Hands-On-Preview-Major-League-Baseball-2K9.html (http://g4tv.com/xplay/videos/36764/Hands-On-Preview-Major-League-Baseball-2K9.html)

MizzouRah
02-18-2009, 10:55 PM
I haven't played NBA 2k9 so I've never heard of the "living roster" feature before, but MLB 2k9 also has this and I love the idea behind it.

OS moderator Steve has posted many videos and it looks to me like VC has done a lot with this game in one year.

We'll see how many bugs sneak past the testers...

MizzouRah
02-19-2009, 07:13 AM
Developer diary #3: Franchise mode

Seems like VC is really re-working this game!

Major League Baseball 2K9 Developer Diary: Franchise Mode - Operation Sports (http://www.operationsports.com/feature.php?id=832)

Mizzou B-ball fan
02-19-2009, 07:36 AM
Developer diary #3: Franchise mode

Seems like VC is really re-working this game!

Ugh. Don't do this to yourself again this year, 'Rah. I just don't want you waking up in bed the next morning realizing the beer goggles have worn off.

MizzouRah
02-19-2009, 04:25 PM
Ugh. Don't do this to yourself again this year, 'Rah. I just don't want you waking up in bed the next morning realizing the beer goggles have worn off.

lol

If it's bad, I'll move on.. plenty of great console games to take up my time, along with BM 10 or ootp 10 if I so choose to purchase.

I honestly think it will get decent reviews...

CraigSca
02-20-2009, 07:40 AM
Reading about it and seeing the videos - I've been pleasantly surprised by what I see regarding 2K9 this year. While I still won't consider purchasing it, I think the VC crew has gone a long way in making 2K9 relevant again. I really look forward to seeing what they can do for 2K10.

Eaglesfan27
02-20-2009, 09:34 AM
Reading about it and seeing the videos - I've been pleasantly surprised by what I see regarding 2K9 this year. While I still won't consider purchasing it, I think the VC crew has gone a long way in making 2K9 relevant again. I really look forward to seeing what they can do for 2K10.

2k8 on the 360 outsold MLB: The Show on the PS3, so I would argue that it was relevant last year. I'm also pleasantly surprised by the improvements I'm seeing in the 2k9 videos. It is taking steps to become enjoyable again.

Mizzou B-ball fan
02-20-2009, 09:45 AM
2k8 on the 360 outsold MLB: The Show on the PS3, so I would argue that it was relevant last year.

I'm sure there are many 360 fans that are hoping that they might improve on the 2K game and make it relevant again. If The Show was published on the 360, the MLB 2K series likely would have trouble even surviving. It's actually a blessing for 2K that The Show is only on the PS3 as it gives 2K a quasi-exclusive audience on the 360. It's the best option on the 360 console, for what that's worth.

DaddyTorgo
02-20-2009, 09:49 AM
one of these days i'll get myself a ps3...

Mizzou B-ball fan
02-24-2009, 01:09 PM
Demo has been released on the 360. The PS3 version of the demo will be released tomorrow with the regular Thursday weekly update.

rowech
02-24-2009, 03:37 PM
Just played the game a couple of times. First off, I think it's MUCH improved. I felt like the game actually flowed a bit, the commentary is much better with Thorne and Phillips, the animations better, cut scenes aren't as choppy, etc. They have some nice little things that are new additions but the curse is still the fact that hitting is just way too easy. I can hit a homerun just about every time. Perhaps it's just demo settings but you hold left stick up and the direction to pull, right stick back, right stick forward and it almost doesn't matter what pitch the guy pitches if you time it right...it'll be a homerun.

MizzouRah
02-24-2009, 06:47 PM
rowech, the demo is on easy..

I've read many hands on and early impressions and hr's are not an issue at least on harder difficulties.. plus with the retail copy, you can switch to cursor based hitting.

Balldog
02-24-2009, 06:59 PM
I wish this had manage only mode

MizzouRah
02-24-2009, 10:42 PM
Wow.. I loved 2k7 and could not stand 2k8... 2k9 has REALLY improved.

I haven't had this much fun since my last NCAA 09 game two days ago!

Frame rate is stellar, pitching/hitting is stellar.. real time atmosphere, stellar..

I'm impressed....

MizzouRah
02-24-2009, 11:14 PM
VC did a HELL of a job in 1 year!!!

Graphics are better than 2k8, but not as good as 2k7.. BUT OVERALL, the game is smooth and I love the pitching and hitting. I have no doubts that once I get the game and play on the next highest difficulty.. I will be in baseball gaming heaven.

I don't care about the goofy stuff.. I just want to have fun and with this demo, I'm having fun.

DaddyTorgo
02-24-2009, 11:18 PM
pc demo?

Mizzou B-ball fan
02-25-2009, 08:09 AM
Here's PastaPadre's impressions. Similar to most of the impressions in general thus far. Some potential along with some issues.......

MLB 2K9 Demo Impressions and Videos | pastapadre.com (http://www.pastapadre.com/6493/mlb-2k9-demo-impressions-and-videos)

MizzouRah
02-25-2009, 10:38 AM
Who cares about PastaPadre?

Draw your own conclusions...

Mizzou B-ball fan
02-25-2009, 10:56 AM
Who cares about PastaPadre?

Draw your own conclusions...

You said that last year after I posted his negative impressions. We know how that worked out. :D

FWIW.....most seem to be saying it's an improvement over last year's version while still having some warts. I'm going to give it a try this afternoon on the PS3 just to see what they've worked on to improve this past year.

rowech
02-25-2009, 02:26 PM
There is no doubt this game is much better. Anybody who can't see that is a moron. Perfect? Hardly. However, it'll still outsell The Show unless PS3 prices come down.

MizzouRah
02-25-2009, 02:37 PM
You said that last year after I posted his negative impressions. We know how that worked out. :D

FWIW.....most seem to be saying it's an improvement over last year's version while still having some warts. I'm going to give it a try this afternoon on the PS3 just to see what they've worked on to improve this past year.

Yeah, but I still had to see for myself. With the demo, I'm really happy with what I'm seeing vs 2k7 - 2k8.

The game is really smooth and the controls are very responsive.

There's no doubt The Show will out score it.. they are several years into the development.. but the demo has given me hope that I will have 2k9 in my library for many months during the baseball season.

Galaxy
02-25-2009, 09:39 PM
A few things (on the 360):

How do you change the pitch you want?

How do you direct your throws to what player you want (say I want to throw from LF to 2nd)?

How do you bunt?

How do you steal?

I don't see any control manual (my first time playing baseball on the 360).

MizzouRah
02-25-2009, 11:33 PM
1. Hit LB to bring up the pitch menu and select by the gesture you perform.. I believe.. (not 100% on this one until I play the demo some more)

2. You can do this by the button you choose, to throw to 2nd base hit the Y button - OR you can use the right stick and push up to throw to 2nd base.. I prefer the latter.

3. Click the right stick (I believe)

4. I think it's the left trigger.. but visit Operation Sports and someone will know there.

Galaxy
02-25-2009, 11:41 PM
1. Hit LB to bring up the pitch menu and select by the gesture you perform.. I believe.. (not 100% on this one until I play the demo some more)

2. You can do this by the button you choose, to throw to 2nd base hit the Y button - OR you can use the right stick and push up to throw to 2nd base.. I prefer the latter.

3. Click the right stick (I believe)

4. I think it's the left trigger.. but visit Operation Sports and someone will know there.

1) I can get the menu, but I don't know how to change the selection.

JetsIn06
02-26-2009, 12:29 AM
You don't really select a pitch. You just do the gesture (Right stick down then up is fastball, left then circle down to the right is slider, etc.)

JetsIn06
02-26-2009, 12:30 AM
dola

The pitch that is highlighted is just what your catcher is calling for, but you don't have to listen. He does call the game based on scouting reports which is pretty cool.

JetsIn06
02-26-2009, 12:31 AM
double dola

I'm having a blast with the demo. I'll wait a few days for comments on the high difficulty levels, but it's already much, much better than 2k8.

MizzouRah
02-26-2009, 08:49 AM
Yeah.. it goes by the gesture you perform Galaxy.. the highlighted pitch is just the one the catcher calls for according to his inside edge scouting report on the player at bat.

Last night a mod who has the game over at OS was posting some disturbing stuff about franchise mode... apparently top notch FA's are remaining unsigned after the season and will sit out all year due to teams in the negative.

I'll read up more on it today.. and I hope there is a fix.. I mean son of a b.. how do things like that slip by in testing?

Mizzou B-ball fan
02-26-2009, 09:30 AM
Last night a mod who has the game over at OS was posting some disturbing stuff about franchise mode... apparently top notch FA's are remaining unsigned after the season and will sit out all year due to teams in the negative.

I'll read up more on it today.. and I hope there is a fix.. I mean son of a b.. how do things like that slip by in testing?

FYI.....Bill Abner and Todd Brakke will have a detailed write-up about this issue over at their blog when they get the OK from 2K9. They hinted at it in this post.......

The Nut and the Feisty Weasel: Todd Has MLB 2K9 Retail Code (http://nutweasel.blogspot.com/2009/02/todd-has-mlb-2k9-retail-code.html)

Todd Has MLB 2K9 Retail Code

I'm asking to see when we can talk about it. Todd has it. We're chatting about it. And we're both dying to tell you about the franchise mode and the stuff we (well, Todd) are seeing.

But we can't. At least not until I hear back from PR.

TroyF
02-26-2009, 10:13 AM
In the messages in the thread:

Craig

OS is talking about it now. Apparently there are a ton of unsigned FAs each year - not only being left unsigned, but guys that should even be FAs (Tim Lincecum after year two, for example).

followed by Todd

Unsigned FAs? You mean I shouldn't have seen Prince Fielder, Evan Langoria, Albert Pujols and a couple dozen other guys waste away on the free agent list season after season?

Doesn't look good if you were going for franchise mode play. . .

Big Fo
02-26-2009, 10:57 AM
Thankfully we're in the modern era where companies feel free to release a broken console game that can be patched later.

Mizzou B-ball fan
02-26-2009, 12:22 PM
Here's a rundown of the franchise mode mess..........

The Nut and the Feisty Weasel: MLB 2k9 - Franchise Mode (http://nutweasel.blogspot.com/2009/02/mlb-2k9-franchise-mode.html)

MLB 2k9 - Franchise Mode

As Bill noted, I got MLB 2k9 mailed out to me yesterday. This worked out well since I was home to oversee the floor repair and I was able to spend the afternoon letting the game sim out a few seasons while getting a little work done. (I have NOT played a single game on the field as of yet.) There's some good and bad here, but the short version is that if you want to play multi-season franchise mode the game is absolutely 100% borked. Broken doesn't begin to describe it and after reading about the 2k Conference Call and their claims of making franchise mode a major focus, that's just flat out unacceptable.

So before I get to that, I'll point out what I like. First and foremost, the stat engine from simmed seasons is fantastic and it appears to hold up as time goes on. League leaders in major pitching and hitting categories is very consistent with actual 2008 data. You don't have whole teams hitting .300+, doubles and triples numbers are right on line, you will see only a couple of 20 game winners (if that). I did see one season where there were two 20 game losers, which is very unusual, but not so much that it should bother anyone. I didn't look at numbers below the top 20 players in any given category, but I'm satisfied with what I'm seeing.

I also like that they stick player drafts in the off-season between re-signing your own players and signing free agents. I don't recall how drafts were handled last year, but this year players are not just rated on their base attributes, but you also get a rating for how soon before your target is likely to be major league ready and you can also pull up a list that compares their ratings to nominal major league players at the same position.

Trades... trades are a mixed bag. I don't think they're horrible, and the AI does not appear to kill season play by overtrading highly rated players. In fact it looks like trades of upper echelon players are very rare. That said, for the trades the game does make, it looks to me like the game mostly looks at overall ratings and not much else. Age might be factored in, but I'm not sure positional need is considered strongly enough, nor does it look like the game values its starting pitching as strongly as it should. I'm positive that the game does not give much consideration to salary, unless you think the Rays would trade the Tigers two young, talented players making $5M combined for Magglio Ordonez and Gary Sheffield making a combined $23M (approx.).

Beyond this, the game goes right off the rails. Worst among the issues are the fact that free agency is flat out broken. It looks like teams lack the budgetary savvy to sign big time players. That or big time players don't properly adjust their contract demands to league realities. Either way, upper tier free agents frequently and consistently go unsigned and if they don't get signed during FA it does not appear that they'll ever get signed after that. This has a cascading effect over multiple seasons. After one season you might see 3-5 premier players go unsigned. After two seasons that number will double. And double. And double. By the end of season 5 the list of absolutely lights-out free agents that languish on the golf course instead of suiting up to play is just ridiculous. This, alone, is enough to kill the franchise mode for any season beyond 2009.

Teams are also incapable of managing their 25-man roster. I looked through a quick roster report of most teams at various points. You'll routinely see teams maintain just a 10-man pitching staff, and a few will go with only four starters (at least officially; maybe they're using a MR for a fifth starter?). You'll see a lot of teams carrying a ridiculous number of catchers, three, four, in one case I saw the Yankees carrying *5* catchers. Seriously, what is that about? Did each starting pitcher need his own guy behind the plate? So, in addition to teams often not carrying enough pitchers, you'll see situations where a team may only have three or four outfielders or too few infielders, etc. It's crazy.

Finally, I'm pretty sure player development is also crudded up, but I'm not sure how much it really matters in the game. Let me a 'splain. No. There is too much. Let me sum up. (Like I'm capable of that. I just wanted to use that Princess Bride line.) In the 2009 season it appears (I didn't go over rosters with a fine tooth comb, so I reserve the right to be wrong) that the elite players in the game are in the 85 - 92 range. There are plenty of teams with no 90-rated players at all. Over time those ratings just keep going up (they can go down, but that is evidently not the overall trend). By the end of season 5, there were several 99-rated players and most teams had 90+ rated players for their entire top five.

What's odd is that this doesn't appear to affect stats. It's like the game has players perform on a curve so that the top whatever percent perform to a certain standard. I'm not sure this is how it should be, since you could argue this makes it so player development doesn't really matter. But it does at least keep the stat engine from breaking down, which I think is probably more important.

So... yeah, uh. MLB 2k9 may be a fantastic game on the field. I have no idea yet. As a 2009 season sim, it should also be -at the very least- servicable. But if you like to actually play a franchise, draft players, sign free agents, etc. It's broken. Save your money or pray for a patch. Or, you know. if you have or plan to get a PS3, put your money down on MLB: The Show. If it has anything close to the franchise issues in 2k9 I would be absolutely floored.

Galaxy
02-26-2009, 12:46 PM
dola

The pitch that is highlighted is just what your catcher is calling for, but you don't have to listen. He does call the game based on scouting reports which is pretty cool.

Amazing. Thanks for the info. I feel like a moron, but have never played this series on the 360.

JetsIn06
02-26-2009, 02:18 PM
This sucks.

It's fucking unbelievable that a game could get released like this after 2K people posted about how much better franchise mode is.

JetsIn06
02-26-2009, 02:21 PM
from pastapadre

Update: Apparently there is a patch ready to go on release day to address the issue. While that doesn’t help consumers who don’t have their console connected online at least it will provide the fix for everyone else.

Galaxy
02-26-2009, 04:38 PM
I wish you can take the patches and upload them on a memory card, then be able to upload it another 360 if they don't have it hooked up online.

Mizzou B-ball fan
02-26-2009, 07:11 PM
from pastapadre

Update: Apparently there is a patch ready to go on release day to address the issue. While that doesn’t help consumers who don’t have their console connected online at least it will provide the fix for everyone else.

The problem is that major release issues being found by the consumer is a reoccurring problem with this franchise at this point. If they can miss this glaring issue, what else did they miss?

It should be noted that this is just as much a criticism of the general quality of most console games as it is this specific game. It's embarrassing.

MizzouRah
02-26-2009, 08:34 PM
from pastapadre

Great news.. but it fcking kills me.

MizzouRah
02-26-2009, 08:34 PM
The problem is that major release issues being found by the consumer is a reoccurring problem with this franchise at this point. If they can miss this glaring issue, what else did they miss?

It should be noted that this is just as much a criticism of the general quality of most console games as it is this specific game. It's embarrassing.

I can agree with this post. 5 fcking mins after loading the game, this major f up is found. I mean, do they really test games anymore?

JetsIn06
02-26-2009, 10:59 PM
Great news.. but it fcking kills me.

Same. And of course the guy from 2K makes a post on OS like everything is all fine and dandy.

The franchise issue is already fixed for a patch that is releasing on launch day. You can go back to your regularly scheduled worrying. http://www.operationsports.com/fofc/../forums/images/smilies/graemlins/smile.gif

Balldog
02-26-2009, 11:04 PM
Same. And of course the guy from 2K makes a post on OS like everything is all fine and dandy.

I hate the interaction with the developers anymore, its nothing more than a fog and mirrors tactic to get people to buy their games. People act like these guys word is the gospel and they would never stretch the truth. It makes a lot of the forums over there unbearable.

Outside of the Sony MLB guys I don't really see games improving greatly. Maybe the 2k basketball guys...

AgustusM
02-26-2009, 11:36 PM
stuff like this combined with the economy is why I tend not to buy console games until I can rent or gamefly them.

Big Fo
02-26-2009, 11:50 PM
Outside of the Sony MLB guys I don't really see games improving greatly. Maybe the 2k basketball guys...

If you're talking about sports games then I mostly agree, if you mean games in general then I disagree.

AgustusM
02-26-2009, 11:54 PM
never mind

billethius
02-27-2009, 12:52 AM
After playing around with the demo, I've actually been pleasantly surprised by the game. After the last two years, I gave it no chance and had absolutely no intention of buying it. Now, though, I just may pick it up. The free agency bug isn't a big deal to me since I can't remember the last time I played more than a single season in a baseball game other than OOTP.

I'll give it a few days to see what other bugs show up before buying it, but as of now it looks like I'll actually be purchasing it.

Mota
02-27-2009, 04:41 AM
I hate the interaction with the developers anymore, its nothing more than a fog and mirrors tactic to get people to buy their games. People act like these guys word is the gospel and they would never stretch the truth. It makes a lot of the forums over there unbearable.

As is usual, the guy will also vanish come release day and we won't hear back from him until next January when hype time starts again.

The patch will only fix SOME of the issues and everybody will be pissed.

Reviews will be glowing, assuming that all the issues they are seeing will be fixed, even if they never do get fixed.

And I am officially waiting a week before I get the game this year. Don't want to make a mistake like I did buying the game last year.

Balldog
02-27-2009, 05:41 AM
If you're talking about sports games then I mostly agree, if you mean games in general then I disagree.

I'm referring specifically to developers being present on the OS boards, so yes just sports games.

MizzouRah
02-27-2009, 08:26 AM
It just blows my mind that it took the mod from os with the game, literally 5 mins to find that franchise issue.

I don't play more than one season with baseball most of the time, but 2k was really touting their "redesigned" franchise mode so I though this year I might sim some games to get through a year or two.

SegRat
02-27-2009, 11:49 PM
I was going to get this game, but then because of the franchise problems I wasnt. Tonight a played the demo a few times and had a lot of fun, so I think I am going to pick it up after all.

RainMaker
02-28-2009, 12:05 AM
I just don't get why companies have such issues with testing. I can guarantee you that they could easily find 5-10 diehard players of the game to test early copies for this kind of stuff. I doubt they'd even need to be paid. Just make them sign an NDA and you iron out most of these problems.

MizzouRah
02-28-2009, 08:31 AM
Confirmed over at OS by a 2k developer that a day 1 patch will be released to fix the franchise issue... I guess we'll see.

JT2008
03-01-2009, 02:24 PM
I'm currently still playing High Heat Baseball using Manager mode along with one pitch mode. I'm interested in buying 2K9 for the PC when it comes out. From what I understand the PC version will be a port of the XBOX 360 version like 2K9 Basketball is. My question is, is there manager mode in the 360 Demo with an option for one pitch?

JT

MizzouRah
03-01-2009, 02:28 PM
I'm currently still playing High Heat Baseball using Manager mode along with one pitch mode. I'm interested in buying 2K9 for the PC when it comes out. From what I understand the PC version will be a port of the XBOX 360 version like 2K9 Basketball is. My question is, is there manager mode in the 360 Demo with an option for one pitch?

JT

No.

JT2008
03-01-2009, 02:31 PM
Thanks for the info. Looks like I will be keeping my money in my pocket as I don't have a console. I've heard good things about MVP 2005. Perhaps that's the way to go and let the modders do their thing.

MizzouRah
03-01-2009, 02:49 PM
That doesn't mean it's not in the PC version.. the 360 demo is VERY limited.

Mizzou B-ball fan
03-02-2009, 07:30 AM
Some more feedback on the game. Sounds like Todd Brakke is having some lockup problems with the game in various circumstances. Below is one of those instances. He's had to play the same game 10 or 11 times to complete it.

The Nut and the Feisty Weasel: Lockup Scenario #4 (http://nutweasel.blogspot.com/2009/03/lockup-scenario-4.html)

Better news on the online front, as the game does a decent job of avoiding any major lag.

The Nut and the Feisty Weasel: 2k9 Online Play (http://nutweasel.blogspot.com/2009/03/2k9-online-play.html)

rowech
03-02-2009, 02:42 PM
MBBF, I don't have too big of a dog in this fight but it is funny to read in this thread your postings and negativity while in the PS3 thread, the problems that they expose in this game are quickly deflected by you with a, "it'll be in the patch"

I have no doubt The Show is better as I have a feeling do most people but it cracks me up the way you jab, dodge, jab, dodge, jab, etc.

MizzouRah
03-02-2009, 09:18 PM
MBBF, I don't have too big of a dog in this fight but it is funny to read in this thread your postings and negativity while in the PS3 thread, the problems that they expose in this game are quickly deflected by you with a, "it'll be in the patch"

I have no doubt The Show is better as I have a feeling do most people but it cracks me up the way you jab, dodge, jab, dodge, jab, etc.

The funny thing to me is.. why does he even give a rats ass about MLB 2k9? I seriously think the guy works for Sony.

Mizzou B-ball fan
03-03-2009, 07:42 AM
Patch information.........

The Nut and the Feisty Weasel: MLB 2k9 Patch Notes (http://nutweasel.blogspot.com/2009/03/mlb-2k9-patch-notes.html)

Mizzou B-ball fan
03-03-2009, 08:14 AM

The 2K baseball franchise just doesn't have what it takes anymore. I'm not sure what year of the 3 year plan we're on now, but it's not getting any better.

It pains me to say it, but the quasi-exclusive contract with MLB needs to go away so EA can start producing a baseball game again. It would be best for baseball gamers to have EA and SCEA going head to head once again. It's not a good situation when you have 360 gamers praying for 2K to turn their baseball franchise around.

TroyF
03-03-2009, 08:33 AM
The 2K baseball franchise just doesn't have what it takes anymore. I'm not sure what year of the 3 year plan we're on now, but it's not getting any better.

It pains me to say it, but the quasi-exclusive contract with MLB needs to go away so EA can start producing a baseball game again. It would be best for baseball gamers to have EA and SCEA going head to head once again. It's not a good situation when you have 360 gamers praying for 2K to turn their baseball franchise around.

1) That implies the 2K team ever had it with baseball. They didn't.
2) This is year 2 of the three year plan.
3) It looks like they fixed the FA problem.
4) It doesn't pain me to say ANY exclusive contract for ANY sport needs to go away. I want 2K to make football games again. I want EA to make baseball games. Let anyone and everyone who pays the licensing fee make the game and let the best man win. 2K's basketball and hockey franchises forced EA to improve its games. (to the point where EA hockey is better) The Show is forcing 2K to up its game. (it's improving slowly, but it is improving)
5) What the hell do you care about 360 gamers? I mean, you are the guy who said the 360 was a turd with a plastic shell and the PS3 was going to cure cancer and revolutionize gaming. You are in here shredding a game you won't buy, won't play, and don't care about. Your chances of buying 2K baseball, even if it were a good game, are somewhere south of 0%.

Mizzou B-ball fan
03-03-2009, 08:45 AM
5) What the hell do you care about 360 gamers? I mean, you are the guy who said the 360 was a turd with a plastic shell and the PS3 was going to cure cancer and revolutionize gaming.

This is obviously a vast overgeneralization and doesn't mirror reality in any way. I have repeatedly said that if a gamer is looking for a console and has no interest in Blu-ray use, they're better off buying a 360 at the cheaper price point.

The game is on the PS3 as well. I only mentioned the 360 gamers as they obviously don't have a choice as far as baseball goes.

DaddyTorgo
03-03-2009, 02:26 PM
saw this in the store at lunch. almost bit the bullet so i could writeup first impressions, but held off for today

JT2008
03-03-2009, 07:34 PM
PC Demo is now up for those interested. I haven't given it a test drive yet. http://www.fileplanet.com/197021/190...eball-2K9-Demo (http://www.fileplanet.com/197021/190000/fileinfo/Major-League-Baseball-2K9-Demo)

SegRat
03-03-2009, 10:33 PM
I have played a couple of the play it now games and haveing a lot of fun. I havent done anything with slidders as I am just getting the hang of it. So far I really like the game.

MizzouRah
03-04-2009, 12:49 AM
Me too SegRat.. one game tonight, I'm exhausted.. but it was absolutely 100% better than 2k8 and 80% better than 2k7.

Beat the Royals 7-2 behind Wainright. Game is much improved... perfect? No, but so far fun..

Mizzou B-ball fan
03-04-2009, 12:44 PM
Pretty comprehensive review just put up over at Gameshark......

GameShark | Reviews | Major League Baseball 2K9 Review (http://www.gameshark.com/reviews/3208/Major-League-Baseball-2K9-Review.htm)

DaddyTorgo
03-04-2009, 03:10 PM
DLed the pc demo but didn't get to touch it last night

MizzouRah
03-04-2009, 05:34 PM
Pretty comprehensive review just put up over at Gameshark......

GameShark | Reviews | Major League Baseball 2K9 Review (http://www.gameshark.com/reviews/3208/Major-League-Baseball-2K9-Review.htm)

A fair review for sure.

Sounds like both developers are going to support their products and that's great news.. EA has been great with NCAA and NHL this year, so maybe sports gaming will finally get better.

(I know the SCEA team has really been great supporting The Show in the past as well)

Mizzou B-ball fan
03-05-2009, 07:22 AM
PastaPadre has posted his impressions of the game.......

First Thoughts and Videos from MLB 2K9 | pastapadre.com (http://www.pastapadre.com/6786/first-thoughts-and-videos-from-mlb-2k9)

AENeuman
03-05-2009, 12:08 PM
The ball getting stuck against a wall is horrible. Lost a game because no one could pick up a passed ball! so far it has happened in all 3 games i have played, the other 2 times it was in the outfield.

I don't know much about xbox, do they do patches? Is this something they would patch? I assume i would have to connect online.

Eaglesfan27
03-05-2009, 12:54 PM
Yes, companies patch games on the 360. You must be online and have a free silver account to get a patch for the game. If a patch is available, being online with your silver or gold account and putting the game in will automatically attempt to download the patch.

Mizzou B-ball fan
03-06-2009, 09:20 AM
More impressions. This time, from Bill Harris.........

Dubious Quality: Major League Baseball 2K9, Complete With Soundtrack (http://dubiousquality.blogspot.com/2009/03/major-league-baseball-2k9-complete-with.html)

SackAttack
03-06-2009, 12:29 PM
And that's really a soft-shoe from Bill. The game is worse than THAT.

DaddyTorgo
03-06-2009, 01:07 PM
gah

*removes game from to-buy list*

billethius
03-06-2009, 01:48 PM
gah

*removes game from to-buy list*

Yeah, despite liking the demo, I managed to resist buying it on Tuesday and am now glad that I did after reading some further impressions.

MizzouRah
03-06-2009, 04:52 PM
I had a good game last night on AS defaults against Kazmir and the Rays.. he shut me out, I only had 3 hits - Carpenter pitched well, but Mott was hammered and we lose 7-0.

There was a couple of goofy fielding animations that made me miss a routing flyball... but other than that, its been fun. The game plays smooth, so that's a major plus vs 2k8. I also love the living rosters!

SackAttack
03-06-2009, 05:46 PM
I had a good game last night on AS defaults against Kazmir and the Rays.. he shut me out, I only had 3 hits - Carpenter pitched well, but Mott was hammered and we lose 7-0.

There was a couple of goofy fielding animations that made me miss a routing flyball... but other than that, its been fun. The game plays smooth, so that's a major plus vs 2k8. I also love the living rosters!

Have you had fielders refuse to chase balls even though you're pushing the stick in that direction?

If the answer is 'yes' and you're still having fun, you are entirely too easily entertained.

DeToxRox
03-06-2009, 05:48 PM
I bought my PS3 for The Show 08 last year after gettng 2k8 and being so disappointed. Best purchase I made. Played the hell out of 08, and now playing the hell out of 09. Plus you get a bluray player out of it.

If you have the money available .. get the PS3 and the Show. You WILL get your money worth.

rowech
03-06-2009, 06:06 PM
I bought my PS3 for The Show 08 last year after gettng 2k8 and being so disappointed. Best purchase I made. Played the hell out of 08, and now playing the hell out of 09. Plus you get a bluray player out of it.

If you have the money available .. get the PS3 and the Show. You WILL get your money worth.

I know I plan to. Reading these comments has convinced me of that. I keep hoping it'll come down $100 though....or someone will put together a hell of a package to entice me.

MizzouRah
03-06-2009, 08:13 PM
Have you had fielders refuse to chase balls even though you're pushing the stick in that direction?

If the answer is 'yes' and you're still having fun, you are entirely too easily entertained.

Not yet.. but I have only played a handful of games.

MizzouRah
03-06-2009, 08:17 PM

My neighbor never uses his and doesn't care for baseball games, so I might pick it up at some point as I know he'll let me use his ps3.

AgustusM
03-07-2009, 12:47 AM
sadly I have no impressions since my 360 got the RROD the day before release.

SackAttack
03-07-2009, 01:31 AM
Not yet.. but I have only played a handful of games.

It took me all of five minutes.

MizzouRah
03-07-2009, 10:20 AM
It took me all of five minutes.

Well that sucks!

MizzouRah
03-07-2009, 08:35 PM
I'm still having realistic games...

MizzouRah
03-08-2009, 11:48 AM
These living rosters are kind of cool, they also change things like shoe colors, batting helmet colors and what not?

MizzouRah
03-08-2009, 09:05 PM
How is the Dynasty mode? Are you seeing the issues there?

Haven't started a franchise yet.. waiting for opening day since 2k updates their rosters everyday..

Mizzou B-ball fan
03-09-2009, 07:44 AM
PastaPadre gives his full impressions........

The Wrap-Up: MLB 2K9 | pastapadre.com (http://www.pastapadre.com/6844/the-wrap-up-mlb-2k9)

AgustusM
03-09-2009, 12:35 PM
after reading all this I think my RROD is going to save me 60 bucks. I have enjoyed the game in the past but I think I am going to go back to last years game, or even the year before which was pretty good.

might even try and find MVP 05 - everything I have read says that with the mods it is a pretty good option.

MizzouRah
03-09-2009, 01:02 PM
MLB 2k8 was horrid.. and I think you should at least give 2k9 it a rent.

Pasta padre is an EA whore.. so do yourself a favor and judge for yourself.

AgustusM
03-09-2009, 05:41 PM
anyone get it for PC? It is only $20 and since my 360 is in the shop anyway, I thought I might go that route.

Tasan
03-09-2009, 05:46 PM
I got it. There are issues to be sure, but for 20 bucks I think its worth it. They sound like they will patch it, so hopefully the issues I've seen so far will get fixed.

Tasan
03-09-2009, 05:47 PM
Oh and I used to play MVP 05. I've been dieing to play an updated baseball game on my computer since that line was stopped.

MizzouRah
03-11-2009, 03:16 PM
Patch #2 coming and a pc patch!

MLB 2K9 Patch #2 Announced - XBOX 360 / PS3 / PC - 2K Sports Forums (http://www.2ksports.com/forums/showthread.php?t=211682)

They are going to address the aggressive batting AI.. should be interesting...

SegRat
03-11-2009, 06:04 PM
It's good to hear there is a patch on the way. However I am still having a lot of fun with the game. It may be a bit flawed but fun nun the less.

MizzouRah
03-11-2009, 09:15 PM
It's good to hear there is a patch on the way. However I am still having a lot of fun with the game. It may be a bit flawed but fun nun the less.

I thought by now I'd find something really bothersome.. it's the opposite.. I'm having fun still too.

I've been neglecting my NCAA career lately because of MLB 2k9.

SegRat
03-11-2009, 10:00 PM
I've been neglecting my NCAA career lately because of MLB 2k9.

Same here

MizzouRah
03-11-2009, 11:03 PM
This game has warts.. like my fielder sometimes going into a slow animation and misplaying a ball.. but the glitches are few and far between for me so far.

The first baseman glitch happened to the CPU tonight, thought that was kind of funny.

As a total package though, I'm really liking what I'm seeing - it's not ootp like as far as stats go.. but I love everything they have been able to improve in this game. The replays are great, hitting is fun, pitching is a blast, commentary is top notch, I could go on......

I'm 2-2 on AS so far and each game has been different.. for me, that's all I can ask for.

AgustusM
03-12-2009, 12:18 AM
anyone get it for PC? It is only $20 and since my 360 is in the shop anyway, I thought I might go that route.

well I bought it on PC because of the price and because my 360 is in for repair, I installed in just an hour ago and well the fact I am posting here is not a good sign. It is not working at all with my not that old logtiech cordless controller and if I am going to have to buy a new controller, well hell I might as well just get the 360 version.

anyone else have the PC version and using a controller that is working?

MizzouRah
03-12-2009, 09:23 AM
Read the forums over at OS Agustus.. I thought I read about a fix to get wireless controllers working.

AgustusM
03-12-2009, 12:38 PM
Controller selection possible fix...PC - Operation Sports Forums (http://www.operationsports.com/forums/2k-sports-major-league-baseball/300966-controller-selection-possible-fix-pc.html)

glad I bought this from Amazon - it has to go back. I tried this suggestion and now 25% of the buttons work. then if you go in and map them 50% of the buttons work 50% of the time. what a waste of time.

MizzouRah
03-12-2009, 02:53 PM
I use my wireless 360 controller on my pc.

Mota
03-13-2009, 04:38 AM
Just use your 360 controller. You just need a wireless PC adapter which will let you use all your 360 wireless things on your PC. I think it's about $15. Microsoft makes it.

CleBrownsfan
03-13-2009, 07:08 AM
dude - this had me LOL

MLB 2k9: This is Why You Suck (www.youtube.com/watch?v=AbIVUgW0t0o)

Mizzou B-ball fan
03-13-2009, 07:59 AM
Here's a couple more 2K9 blooper reels. It's pretty funny, until you realize that people are actually playing $60 to play this game. Then you feel somewhat bad for the people who got roped into buying it.

YouTube - MLB 2K9 SUCKS! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HN3cGmtm81g)

YouTube - MLB 2K9 Baserunning Glitch (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jDvZChYR6I0)

Butter
03-13-2009, 08:52 AM
I especially like the A-Rod disappearing into the ground trick.

Mizzou B-ball fan
03-13-2009, 09:06 AM
I especially like the A-Rod disappearing into the ground trick.

I'm guessing his hip injury occurred while pulling off the motion capture for that animation.

Big Fo
03-13-2009, 09:11 AM
"What is this a fucking barrel roll?" :lol:

MizzouRah
03-13-2009, 11:23 AM
Here's a couple more 2K9 blooper reels. It's pretty funny, until you realize that people are actually playing $60 to play this game. Then you feel somewhat bad for the people who got roped into buying it.

YouTube - MLB 2K9 SUCKS! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HN3cGmtm81g)

YouTube - MLB 2K9 Baserunning Glitch (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jDvZChYR6I0)

Here are some from your best game evah.. The Show

Moonwalking:

YouTube - MLB 09 The Show Moonwalking Glitch? (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LVWd1hx_NbM)

Inside the park HR on a check swing:

YouTube - MLB '09 The Show glitch (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RujfGhejAlw)

Fans replacing players, 1B has a cooler around his neck:

YouTube - MLB 09 the Show "Fans replacing players" glitch (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s2hBYRkCb6I)

1B refuses to pick ball up:

YouTube - MLB09 The Show - Outfield/1B glitch (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ybPLUQklWqU)

I mean, how hard is it to post glitches from a game? :rolleyes:
Why do you even frequent this thread?

Mizzou B-ball fan
03-13-2009, 11:33 AM

I love how CleBrownsFan gets a free pass when he posted the first one and you don't lay a verbal finger on SackAttack for leveling the same criticisms that I did, but I get hammered for following CleBrownsFan's lead.

I appreciate that you're the sole person trying to keep this game alive. You're a loyal fan of 2K and I'm sure they appreciate your loyalty.

MizzouRah
03-13-2009, 11:41 AM
I love how CleBrownsFan gets a free pass when he posted the first one and you don't lay a verbal finger on SackAttack for leveling the same criticisms that I did, but I get hammered for following CleBrownsFan's lead.

I appreciate that you're the sole person trying to keep this game alive. You're a loyal fan of 2K and I'm sure they appreciate your loyalty.

As I'm sure Sony sends you compensation for pimping everything they put their name on.

I just have a hard time seeing posts from you in a thread about a game you have 0 interest in. I mean, what's your point? Pointing out the game sucks from OTHER people?

I do know other people who are enjoying this game though, me included and another patch from 2k might make this game much better as far as glitches are concerned.

You'll NEVER play it though..

CleBrownsfan
03-13-2009, 11:43 AM
In my offense I wasn't trying to bash the game... I laughed more at the kids commentary then I did the glitches. ;)

gstelmack
03-13-2009, 11:56 AM
In my offense I wasn't trying to bash the game... I laughed more at the kids commentary then I did the glitches. ;)

Yup, you didn't accuse people of wasting $60 to play a game that has these bloopers in it.

Mizzou B-ball fan
03-13-2009, 12:40 PM
Yup, you didn't accuse people of wasting $60 to play a game that has these bloopers in it.

So you believe that this game is in any redeemable way worth $60?

MizzouRah
03-13-2009, 04:59 PM

SO FAR, I'm glad I bought it. I don't think any game is worth $60.. but I've played enough to keep it in my library right now.

I'll see how the replay value holds up once I start my franchise.

Oilers9911
03-13-2009, 10:20 PM

It is worth it to anyone that enjoys it no? if I pay $60 for something and enjoy it and get my money's worth who is to say otherwise?

MizzouRah
04-01-2009, 09:57 PM
PS3 patch is out.. 360 coming possibly by this weeked!

Hey guys,
Back from the UK today and happy to be releasing patch notes. The PS3 dropped today, the 360 will be released by MS, I hope to have exact confirmation on a time/date in a bit.

-A noticeable reduction in amount of fly balls missed by outfielders (both the target and slowing down before a fly ball is caught have been fixed).
-Tuned overall slider values to get a better stand alone game, based on community suggestions
-Turned down Home Runs, should see dramatic improvement in amount of home runs hit during game play.
-AI aggressiveness tweaked – AI will take more balls
-Throwing in the “Red” was way harder than the best “Green” spot so maximum strength lowered in the red
-In-game crash resolved when not opening the Pitch Overlay hud and then bringing in another pitcher. Will resolve late inning crashes.
-Added variety so that all fielders arm strength isn’t so similar. Now the better arm strength fielders will make a difference.
-Fixed the bug that was causing the catcher to disappear when switched with a DH.
-There was another bug fixed when substituting the catcher and the DH that would cause the umpire to throw the ball backwards.
-Added more variety in pitching by making the gesture be a little harder to nail down “perfectly”
-Fixed a bug where the base runner would JOG home (Sacrifice fly and ground balls)
-Tweaked the issue where the 1st baseman’s foot would come off the bag too easily resulting in a lot of infield hits that should have been routine outs.
-Pitchers will now walk off the mound after the 3rd strikeout in an inning.
-Tuned numbers to fix the fact that pickoffs were too easy, especially at second base.
-Increased the delivery speed of the animations from the stretch to improve throwing out the AI when they attempted to steal.
-Pitcher rotation bug fixed where users in leagues would have their first bench player put in as their starting pitcher. They could adjust the starting pitcher but never get their bench player back to their line up. This would eventually lead to a crash.
-The user was unable to send a trade when having nine pitchers or eleven hitters on their roster in a fantasy draft league online. That has been resolved
-Online - Menu - The Winning/Losing Streak will now populate correctly when viewing the Card Battle Leader boards.
-League settings changes now will take affect immediately.
-Audio settings get reset when going online.

There are a lot of other things, including some franchise stuff, but they are more minor and countless. I am sure you'll come across them, but these are the major updates.

- Ronnie

JetsIn06
04-01-2009, 11:24 PM
Here are some from your best game evah.. The Show

Moonwalking:

YouTube - MLB 09 The Show Moonwalking Glitch? (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LVWd1hx_NbM)

Inside the park HR on a check swing:

YouTube - MLB '09 The Show glitch (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RujfGhejAlw)

Fans replacing players, 1B has a cooler around his neck:

YouTube - MLB 09 the Show "Fans replacing players" glitch (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s2hBYRkCb6I)

1B refuses to pick ball up:

YouTube - MLB09 The Show - Outfield/1B glitch (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ybPLUQklWqU)

In the game's defense, the fans replacing players isn't a glitch. It's just something fun you can unlock with points you gain.

AENeuman
04-02-2009, 12:18 PM
Glad 2k fixed most things after a month with the "testers"

Is it me or the game, with two outs and a fly ball/line drive my runners always hesitate, often tagging up.

DaddyTorgo
04-02-2009, 12:29 PM
did they fix most things for real AE, or are you being sarcastic?

DaddyTorgo
04-02-2009, 12:31 PM
what about a PC-patch?

If it gets patched up and plays okay I'll drop money on it...

AENeuman
04-02-2009, 12:40 PM
From the list MizzouRah posted most of the problems that made the game unplayable are addressed, but i have not downloaded it yet.

MizzouRah
04-04-2009, 12:41 PM
360 patch is out

SegRat
04-06-2009, 11:17 PM
MizzouRah, if your ever up for an on line game let me know. I havent played on line because of past expierences on Madden playing against immature kids. So if your up for it sometime hit me up.
Online name is Ratfather.

MizzouRah
04-07-2009, 01:16 PM
As soon as I get my Xbox back SegRat!

sabotai
04-21-2009, 11:21 PM
Any PC impressions? It's only $17.99 on Steam and was thinking of grabbing it if it's a decent game on the PC.

DaddyTorgo
04-21-2009, 11:21 PM
Any PC impressions? It's only $17.99 on Steam and was thinking of grabbing it if it's a decent game on the PC.

I'm curious too! It's either this or wait for the MLB 05 guys to mod it up for this season, which prolly won't be done for like half the year...

MizzouRah
04-22-2009, 11:38 AM
The Blog for the Sports Gamer (http://www.sportsgamerblog.com/)

MVPmods.com has mods for it as well...

I feel like MBBF.. ;)

DaddyTorgo
04-22-2009, 12:55 PM
The Blog for the Sports Gamer (http://www.sportsgamerblog.com/)

MVPmods.com has mods for it as well...

I feel like MBBF.. ;)

thanks mizzou. looks like it might be worth picking up at some point. i'm sure the MVPmods folks will do a number on it.

gi
04-22-2009, 01:47 PM
Reviews for this game look so bad, still deliberating if the patch fixes enough of the game to make it a purchase for me. Any thoughts on how the game plays on the PC with mods and slider changes?

sabotai
04-22-2009, 02:22 PM
I bought it off Steam and will let you know. But fair warning, I'm not a baseball fan, although I have liked baseball games. My bar for acceptable, in terms of realistic gameplay, will be VERY low. But I'll warn of any technical issues or bugs I run into.

Oilers9911
04-22-2009, 03:35 PM
Any post patch 360 thoughts?

MizzouRah
04-22-2009, 08:53 PM
Any post patch 360 thoughts?

Just got my 360 back.. I should get some time with MLB 2k9 this weekend!

Oilers9911
04-22-2009, 09:29 PM
Just got my 360 back.. I should get some time with MLB 2k9 this weekend!

Thanks for being the guinea pig. :)

Tasan
04-22-2009, 11:30 PM
I'm enjoying the PC version a lot more with the patch. Got slammed around by the computer today a bit. We'll see if that keeps up or not. At least it wasn't the homer fest I had pre-patch. Oh and the errors bug seems to be gone as well.

sabotai
04-23-2009, 09:49 PM
Played a few games. The controls for baserunning take a lot of getting used to. I have cost myself a run or two and a couple of outs by making mistakes with the base running controls in each game. I'm sure I'll get used to it though.

It might help to get the 360 controller receiver for my PC. I'm using an older control and it took some tweaking to get it to work right with the game's controls.

I love the presentation in the game. The "commercial fade out" they do every time a side is retired is perfect. The post game is best part. It has options to see the highlights for the player of the game, "Top 3 Plays", "Top 3 Grabs" and signature highlights that show highlights for specific players (if they had enough good plays).

One issue I have after buying on Steam is that every time I run it, it thinks it's the first time the program is running and tries to install a few things (DirectX and .NET). No biggie though, I just click Cancel on a few screens and it loads up.

I have seen a few very odd errors, but I don't watch baseball so I have no idea if "odd errors" is a common occurrence. :) Anyway, I'm sure I'll get my $17.99 for it. I started a franchise as the Rockies (randomly picked, seemingly balanced team). Lost my first game 4-1 to the Cards. Only managed to get 3 hits while they got 12. Both teams had 2 errors.

klayman
04-23-2009, 11:06 PM
Thoughts on the 360 version. Played 1 season as the Cubs. Created a new pitcher and only played games that he was starting in (then played every game in the playoffs).

The difference between All-Star and Legend was huge before the patch. All-Star I would have 20 hits with about 8 home runs while pitching a 1 to 2 hitter consistently. In Legend, I would get held to about 3 hits on average. Post patch closed the gap, but still seems a little off. If you want to have Trading Cards on, you need to keep the difficulty on at least Legend, but I found you can adjust some of the sliders and still have Trading Cards activated.

It is seemingly impossible to steal on the higher difficulties. I had 2 SB out of about 30 with guys rated 85 or higher in speed. By midseason, I had given up stealing and just played a hit and run with speed on base.

The default fielder choice doesn't always seem to be natural when the ball goes into play. Many times my first instinct is to think that the Centerfielder is closer to the ball and I start moving towards it based on his positioning, only to find that the game has selected the Leftfielder (or right based on which gap), and I'm now moving away from the ball. Happens quite a bit to the holes on the infield as well and bunted balls between the pitcher and catcher.

There is still a measure of the fielder going the wrong way against your controls, although not as bad as it was before the patch. It is still annoying when it happens. However, I no longer had ball going over the head of the fielder like I did before the patch.

Not sure I understand the composure rating for pitchers. They seem to get randomly rattled, despite their ratings. I've had guys with 80+ ratings get rattled after giving up back to back hits while ahead by 5 or more runs. I have had setup men and closers get rattled after just one hit in a save situation. And yet, put in the exact situation the next game and seem to be fine.

My rookie pitcher won the National League Cy Young at 18-5 and led the league in strikeouts at 315 (quite a few were gained on lower difficuties while learning the game) and ERA. However, he was never in the running for the rookie of the year award, and in fact, no rookie pitcher was on the list of ten finalists.

Steve Phillips made a note of the 100+ years the Cubs haven't won the World series at least once in every game at the start of the season, but after winning the World series the announcers made no mention of it next season (although I only played one game). Although I realize it would be impossible to hard code every outcome for the announcers to comment on, I was nonetheless disappointed as any Cubs fan would be.

The tag out animation is sometimes screwy. In order to tag out a runner at home for example, you have to have your catcher go through the animation. I've given up a couple of runs off failed squeeze bunts where the runner slid under my cather blocking the plate, and the catcher didn't even try to apply the tag. I've had this happen at 2nd base as well, where the runner would move through the fielder and not be tagged out. I think it might be cause I was still moving the fielder or catcher, and it's a missed collision detection, but it happens rarely enough that I haven't been able to determine the exact cause.

While I might seem to have a lot of criticisms of the game, I do actually enjoy it. I'm not a hardcore baseball fan anymore, but the stat numbers do look relatively close to what is expected (with the exception that the AI does not seem to pinch hit for pitchers in simmed games, wtf!?). Batting feels natural, and the interface is easy to use, especially when trying to hit behind the runners, for example. Bunting seems a little to easy, even on the highest difficulty. I very much enjoy the pitcher/cacther interface, especially with the IE Zone activated. I also like the fact that the pitch motions on the controller determine the accuracy and break on the pitch, making it next to impossible to always throw the perfect pitch (especially after the last patch). At the same time, however, some of the pitch motions are too close together resulting in an incorrect pitch being thrown. As well, when you switch from a right hander to a left hander, some of the motions seem forced and akward, particullarly the slider. That's probably just me though, can't get my thumb to do that motion correctly.

As said before, the presentation is one of the highlights of the game. The back and forth banter has it's moments of repeatativeness (especially if you were to play every game) but it certainly stays unique and fresh longer than other games. The TV like feel is a big plus as well. Some of the crowd comments are funny, especially when you are away.

The offseason is ok. Coming off of playing Puresim and OOTP, it's no where close to those, but we play console baseball games to hit homers. The draft is fairly straight forward, and you get an estimate of when the player will be ready for the big leagues. Free agency could be better. There is no way to sort the players you placed an offer on to see if you have been out bid, you can only sort all players that have had offers, but the finances seem acceptable. There were no real big names available for free agency when I went through it, but the AI was competetive with all the 'high' rated players. The season recap gives you a score on how much your players improved or faded, however from that screen you cannot make transactions (like cut players) so you'll need to remember names or write information down.

sabotai
04-23-2009, 11:11 PM
Some of the crowd comments are funny, especially when you are away.

I laughed out loud when I was batting (I was the away team), and the pitcher threw a far low and away ball and I heard someone from the crowd say "Come on, you could have hit that!"

DaddyTorgo
08-21-2009, 10:59 AM
i downloaded the PC-demo, but until I can learn to fucking hit the ball in this damn game I can't justify buying it.