PDA

View Full Version : If you like the 1980's...

RedKingGold
01-29-2009, 08:23 PM
....then you'll love the Golden Era Football League (GEFL).

WHAT IS THE GEFL?

The GEFL is a Front Office Football multiplayer league which uses real NFL teams and real NFL players starting from the year 1980 (or what we consider to be the "Golden Era" of football). We have had some turnover recently and are looking to fill some ownership spots. We are just about to enter the 1991 season and Brett Favre wants you to come and join us at the same time he will.

OH GREAT, ANOTHER FOF MP LEAGUE. WHO THE HELL CARES?

Good question. What is different from the GEFL is that we are one of the few leagues out there who uses players with names which you might be familiar with. From Joe Montana, to Barry Sanders, to Jerry Rice, to Bruce Smith, to Junior Seau, to Deion Sanders; if you liked football in the 1980's, then you would like what we do at the GEFL.

This also makes it easier to get a quick grasp of the history of our league. If you've ever played in an FOF MP league which uses fictional players before, you may have felt overwhelmed by having to learn all of the players on your team and look at their stats to figure out how good they are. In the GEFL, the work is half done for you, as it's very likely that John Elway in the GEFL will be similar to if not as good as John Elway in real life.

BUT I HAVE NOT PLAYED FOF SINCE THE SIDELINE DAYS, I COULD NEVER COMPETE!

One of the other benefits in playing in an FOF league using real players is that the learning curve is much shorter. It does not matter if you cannot understand combines or what ratings mean or other to be competitive. You'll recognize names in the draft pool and in free agency and know whether or not they will be able to improve your team. Also, using historical players allows you to learn some of FOF quirks to make you a better player.

In short, you no longer look at combines to see if a fictional player looks like John Elway. Rather, you see John Elway, and realize that fictional players in FOF who have similar traits to Elway are also as good as Elway.

WHAT OTHER BENEFITS CAN THE GEFL OFFER ME?:

Apart from real players and real teams and eleven seasons of simmed history, GEFL also offer a strong ownership list featuring such FOFC luminaries as: Subby, Antmeister, JeeberD, Shorty (aka korme), Poli (the former ardent enthusiest), SackAttack, sachmo, and more!

WHAT TEAMS ARE AVAILABLE?

In alphabetical order, here are the teams which are currently looking for new owners:

~Baltimore Colts - That's right, none of that Indianapolis bull-shit. We've kept the Colts in Baltimore where they rightfully belong. Baltimore boasts one of the strongest defenses in the GEFL. The secondary is led by safety Ronnie Lott, a multi-time All-Pro. Add in Corneilus Bennett and Tony Simmons, and the Colts are well on their way on defense. Care to recreate the Ickey Shuffle? Ickey Woods is in his prime and ready to do some end-zone dancing for you. The biggest question facing this team: Is Jim Harbaugh the answer at quarterback?

~Kansas City - The Chiefs have seemingly been rebuilding forever, however, years of collecting top-ten picks have allowed Kansas City to build a pretty strong core. Thurman Thomas has a strong offensive line build around him with Bruce Matthews, Doug Widell, and Harry Gailbreath. You also have a strong advantage with having two starting caliber quarterbacks on the roster in Jeff Hostetler and Neil O'Donnell. Jay Novacek is a stellar option in the receiving game. There is a lot of talent here, but the previous owner neglected in signing some key players to extensions. Who will you franchise? Sam Mills? Gene Atkins? Gary Plummer? The choice is yours.

~Pittsburgh - The Steelers are the biggest rebuilding project of teams available. The Steelers started out as one of the best and most consistent teams in early GEFL history. However, years of drafting low and an insistence to stick with Randy Wright at quarterback have caused Pittsburgh to hit near rock bottom. There is talent on the offensive line with Andy Heck and Jim Lachey to build around. A young Cortez Kennedy and some talented linebackers await on defense.

~San Francisco - Joe Montana burst onto the league as the initial pick in the overall GEFL allocation draft, and led the 49er's to the GEFL Bowl title in 1980. Since then, Montana has had a star-crossed career with injuries and missed opportunities in the playoffs. However, the 49er's have made three consecutive trips to the post-season, and the players are there for another deep run for a few more years. Anthony Miller, Mike Charles, Brian Noble, and Kevin Greene are important keys to this team.

~Tampa Bay - Proving that the GEFL truly is the bizzaro 1980's NFL, the Tampa Bay Buccaneers finished as the "Team of the Decade" The Bucs have won the GEFL Bowl in 1987, 1989, and 1990. Led by Neil F'in Lomax, Cris Collinsworth, Andre Reed, and Mark Bavaro, Tampa Bay holds the keys to the most prolific offense in the league. Can you lead Tampa Bay to its third consecutive championship?

I WANT ONE OF THESE TEAMS! HOW DO I SIGN UP?

To claim a potential spot for one of these teams, complete the following steps:

1. Register an account at Golden Era Football League :: Index (http://www.fof-gefl.com/phpbb2).
2. Send a personal message to me with a list of the top three teams from above you would like to be considered for.

I will notify you via PM at Golden Era Football League :: Index (http://www.fof-gefl.com/phpbb2/) if you have been selected for membership and what team you will be taking over.

We have just run the new 1991 season file and your first export will need to be submitted by this Monday, February 2nd.

Come and join us. This league is loads of fun!

JediKooter
01-29-2009, 08:30 PM
Crap. I would totally take the Chargers if only FOF worked on a Mac...

JeeberD
01-30-2009, 12:19 AM
You forgot to mention that Alonzo Highsmith owns the fucking league...

Too bad the rest of his team isn't as good as him. :(

Grammaticus
01-30-2009, 07:04 AM
....then you'll love the Golden Era Football League (GEFL).

~Birmingham Stallions - Another unique difference within the GEFL is that we have incorporated some former USFL teams to replace expansion teams (Titans/Panthers/Jaguars/Texans) who did not exist in 1980. One of those USFL teams is the Birmingham Stallions. The Stallions are known for having one of the best offenses in GEFL history. However, Birmingham's production stalled when QB Steve Beuerlein suffered a severe knee injury in 1989. Still, you have Bruce Smith and Leslie O'Neal as a terrible two-some on the defensive line to continue to build around.

Now that is funny.

MIJB#19
01-30-2009, 07:04 AM
It might be fair to point out to people that GEFL entered the 90's already. ;)

Joe
01-30-2009, 07:13 PM
8 openings! Wha happened?

SackAttack
01-30-2009, 07:29 PM

Lots.

Also, you know the league is in need of new ownership when I'm being mentioned in the same breath as Subby or JeeberD as a 'luminary.'

RedKingGold
01-31-2009, 12:51 PM

Three things:

#1. Loss of interest in FOF.
#2. End of the 1980's (we're in the 1990's now)
#3. Loss of lead simmer/commissioner (see Rule #1).

I suspect three of these 8 teams were on auto control before VPI left as simmer, however.

lungs
01-31-2009, 05:15 PM
Hmmm. Sounds interesting. How easy is FOF MP compared to BBCF?

RedKingGold
02-04-2009, 10:13 PM
Hmmm. Sounds interesting. How easy is FOF MP compared to BBCF?

It has it's quirks, just like I'm sure all FOF MP leagues do. However, a fun league is one where everyone can compete on pretty much the same level, and I (as well as other owners) would be happy to point you in the right direction with tricks and tips to be successful at the game.

However, FOF does a pretty good job of simulating what real-world football stats would look like, and I'd argue that it's currently the best professional football text sim on the market.

RedKingGold
02-04-2009, 10:15 PM
Also, Birmingham, Miami, and San Diego have been filled.

Pittsburgh, San Francisco, Tampa Bay, Kansas City, and Baltimore remain.

Please follow the instructions in the first post if you would like to join us (or drop me a line here at FOFC).