PDA

View Full Version : What do you do/get for your new computer?

Thomkal
11-28-2010, 10:05 AM
So I'm getting my new computer hopefully sometime next week, and I'm wondering what you guys do first when you get it so its setup the way you want. What programs/applications/software will and/or should you install on a new computer in order to protect it/run smoothly, etc? I have a wireless network set up here so what's best there? I use AVG Free now (and I'm looking for Free things here as much as possible) for my antivirus is that good enough? Do you uninstall any software that might come with the computer? I'll be using either Internet Explorer or Firefox, not sure which yet-what add ons will I need or just be good to have? Here's the setup on my new computer:

<table id="ptable" width="100%" align="center" border="0" cellpadding="2" cellspacing="1"><tbody><tr> <td class="tdleft">Case</td> <td class="tdright">1 x NZXT Gamma Gaming Case-Black</td></tr> <tr> <td class="tdleft"><table id="ptable" width="100%" align="center" border="0" cellpadding="2" cellspacing="1"><tbody></tbody></table></td> <td class="tdright">
</td></tr> <tr> <td class="tdleft">
</td> <td class="tdright">
</td></tr> <tr> <td class="tdleft">Processor</td> <td class="tdright">1 x [= Six Core =] AMD Phenom™ II X6 1055T Six-Core CPU-</td></tr> <tr> <td class="tdleft">Processor Cooling</td> <td class="tdright">1 x Liquid CPU Cooling System [AMD]-[Free Upgrade] Standard 120mm Fan</td></tr> <tr> <td class="tdleft">Memory</td> <td class="tdright">1 x 4 GB [2 GB X2] DDR3-1333 Memory Module-** FREE Upgrade to DDR3-1600 ** Corsair or Major Brand</td></tr> <tr> <td class="tdleft">Video Card</td> <td class="tdright">1 x ATI Radeon HD 5770 - 1GB-Single Card</td></tr> <tr> <td class="tdleft">
</td></tr> <tr> <td class="tdleft">Motherboard</td> <td class="tdright">1 x Gigabyte GA-870A-UD3 -- AMD 870 w/ 2x PCI-E 2.0 x16-</td></tr> <tr> <td class="tdleft">Motherboard USB / SATA Interface</td> <td class="tdright">1 x Motherboard default USB / SATA Interface-</td></tr> <tr> <td class="tdleft">Power Supply</td> <td class="tdright">1 x 700 Watt -- Standard-</td></tr> <tr> <td class="tdleft">Primary Hard Drive</td> <td class="tdright">1 x 500 GB HARD DRIVE -- 16M Cache, 7200 RPM, 3.0Gb/s-Single Drive</td></tr> <tr> <td class="tdleft">
</td></tr> <tr> <td class="tdleft">Optical Drive</td> <td class="tdright">1 x 24X Dual Format/Double Layer DVD±R/±RW + CD-R/RW Drive-Black</td></tr> <tr> <td class="tdleft">
</td></tr> <tr> <td class="tdleft">Flash Media Reader / Writer</td> <td class="tdright">1 x 12-In-1 Internal Flash Media Card Reader/Writer-Black</td></tr> <tr> <td class="tdleft">
</td></tr> <tr> <td class="tdleft">Sound Card</td> <td class="tdright">1 x 3D Premium Surround Sound Onboard-</td></tr> <tr> <td class="tdleft">Network Card</td> <td class="tdright">1 x Onboard LAN Network (Gb or 10/100)-</td></tr> <tr> <td class="tdleft">Operating System</td> <td class="tdright">1 x Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium + Office Starter 2010 (Includes basic versions of Word and Excel)-64-Bit</td></tr> <tr> <td class="tdleft">Keyboard</td> <td class="tdright">1 x iBUYPOWER USB Keyboard-Black</td></tr> <tr> <td class="tdleft">Mouse</td> <td class="tdright">1 x iBUYPOWER Internet Mouse-Black</td></tr> <tr> <td class="tdleft">
</td></tr> <tr> <td class="tdleft">Speaker System</td> <td class="tdright">1 x iBUYPOWER 2.1 Channel Stereo Super Bass Subwoofer Speaker System-</td></tr> <tr> <td class="tdleft">
</td></tr></tbody></table>

the_meanstrosity
11-28-2010, 08:09 PM
Recommended Free Security Software

Antivirus - One of these three. I personally use MSE, but Avast is reportedly lighter in resources. I may install Avast on one of my other machines to see how it performs.
Microsoft Security Essentials
Avira
Avast

Spyware - I use Malwarebytes the most, but have both installed.
Malwarebytes Anti-Malware
Superantispyware

Browsers -
Firefox with NoScript addon may be the most secure option.
Google Chrome
Internet Explorer

Buccaneer
11-28-2010, 08:21 PM
1 x ATI Radeon HD 5770 - 1GB-Single Card

I would bump that up a bit. If you have to stick with Radeon, try 5800 or 5900 series instead.

Also, why only 4GB RAM?

Noop
11-28-2010, 08:38 PM
Who is building the PC? Price?

Thomkal
11-28-2010, 08:54 PM
sorry for the confusion here, the computer is already built and hopefully on its way this coming week. It's from Ibuypower.com. The 4GB RAM and the video card are budget restraints. It costs just over $800

MJ4H
11-28-2010, 09:12 PM
Put the taskbar vertically on the right immediately.
Install MSE.
Install POP-peeper.
Install VLC, Reaper, Audacity, and Firefox/Chrome.

Make sure nothing unnecessary is starting up.
Disable unnecessary services.
Rock and roll.

Buccaneer
11-28-2010, 09:16 PM
Thomkal, you got a good system, one that should last a while (but I would think about adding 2 more DDR3-1333 down the road). Make sure you get the exact specs on the memory so you can add more of the same kind.

I have been working on my new build the past four days. All the parts have been working well for a week, it's been all software lately. Mainly figuring out what I have, what I need and trying to make the damn installs work in Windows 7 x64. Not sure about the utilities yet. I did go with AVG but will need more. Also, for some stuff, I had to go with XP Mode, which hopefully you wouldn't have to do since you can't with your OS.

Buccaneer
11-28-2010, 09:17 PM
Put the taskbar vertically on the right immediately.
Install MSE.
Install POP-peeper.
Install VLC, Reaper, Audacity, and Firefox/Chrome.

Make sure nothing unnecessary is starting up.
Disable unnecessary services.
Rock and roll.

I wouldn't recommend any of that, but whatever.

MJ4H
11-28-2010, 09:28 PM
Cool, then don't recommend it.

MJ4H
11-28-2010, 09:37 PM
Also, there is a cool little program called "Game Booster." It shuts down a huge list of unnecessary background processes and services automatically so that your games run smoother. You can then restart them all with the click of a button. It's super nice.

The great thing about it is that it gives you a list of all the things it kills so that you can review them and see if there are any that you know you can permanently disable and go do it. I do this almost every time.

Of course, you need to know exactly what you are disabling, but that isn't hard to determine.

Thomkal
11-28-2010, 10:05 PM
Thomkal, you got a good system, one that should last a while (but I would think about adding 2 more DDR3-1333 down the road). Make sure you get the exact specs on the memory so you can add more of the same kind.

I have been working on my new build the past four days. All the parts have been working well for a week, it's been all software lately. Mainly figuring out what I have, what I need and trying to make the damn installs work in Windows 7 x64. Not sure about the utilities yet. I did go with AVG but will need more. Also, for some stuff, I had to go with XP Mode, which hopefully you wouldn't have to do since you can't with your OS.

Yeah Bucc, I would have liked to gotten more memory, but with my budget I couldn't. So I wanted to get a system that would work out of the box and work on upgrading some things as I go along when I have the money to do so. Thanks for your thoughts though and good luck with your homebuilt.

Thomkal
11-28-2010, 10:08 PM
Also, there is a cool little program called "Game Booster." It shuts down a huge list of unnecessary background processes and services automatically so that your games run smoother. You can then restart them all with the click of a button. It's super nice.

The great thing about it is that it gives you a list of all the things it kills so that you can review them and see if there are any that you know you can permanently disable and go do it. I do this almost every time.

Of course, you need to know exactly what you are disabling, but that isn't hard to determine.

Thanks MJ4H for your suggestions. Had never heard of Game Booster before, so I'll be sure to take a look at it.