PDA

View Full Version : Tips for going on a cruise (weight control)?

Blackadar
06-16-2011, 10:20 AM
I'm headed on a cruise in about a week and a half. 7 days down to St. Thomas on the largest cruise ship ever built, the Allure of the Seas (Royal Caribbean). It's me, the wife, the 21 mo old, the 11 year old, the grandparents, my sister and her SO. Joy.

Royal Caribbean International (http://www.royalcaribbean.com/findacruise/ships/clas/shi/home.do?shipCode=AL)

I'm a cruise virgin, so I almost don't even know what to ask.

1. Anything in particular I need to do on this cruise? I know we have some meals in the "extra" dining restaurants, a shore excursion planned (snorkeling) and probably a massage. But is there anything else that is a "must do"? The damn ship is big enough that most anything is available. Any suggested times to do those things to beat the crowds (since there's like 6,000 passengers on this ship)?

2. I'm trying to control my weight (anyone who posts in the Weight Thread in the Dynasty Forums knows about this) and I'm doing great. But I've heard everyone gains 5 or 10 pounds on a cruise. I really don't want to do that if I can help it. I'll continue to work out while on-board the ship, but it's the eating that will make or break me. So does anyone have any suggestions on trying to eat right on a cruise to avoid a lot of weight gain? (Note: I'll avoid the alcohol anyway, so that's not a problem)

DaddyTorgo
06-16-2011, 10:38 AM
You know I'm just going to say fill up on salads blackadar. And veggies (without creamy buttery sauces).

Portion control is your friend too. The food will always be there, so no need to go crazy.

I predict you'll do better than you think honestly. Just being aware of the issue will likely lead you to over-compensate (in a positive way).

JediKooter
06-16-2011, 10:41 AM
Get drink cards. Ours cost something like 25 a piece, but we each drank way more than 25 dollars worth of drinks and that was non alcoholic drinks. Well worth it in my opinion, even if you're trying to maintain your weight.

I would say, don't eat more than what you normally would at home. Not sure how many stops your cruise will make, but, if you plan on trying the local fare, keep that in mind so you don't over indulge while on the ship.

Doug5984
06-16-2011, 10:42 AM
No advice on the weight control- but have fun, I want to go on that ship soon- it looks amazing.

Pretty sure there was a special on that particular ship either on Nat Geo, or Discovery- you may want to watch it just give you an idea of everything there is on the ship.

Lathum
06-16-2011, 11:38 AM
The problem with a cruise, especially if you don't drink, is the food is a major focal point. My experience is the portions are relativly small, but they will bring you as many as you want, so try to stick to one. Also, eat small meals and snacks multiple times a day. The good thing about that is there is always food available, it will come down to healthy choices.

As far as what to do a lot of that depends on what you like. Excursions are fun, but can be expensive. Same for the spa. There are tons of free shows and events, many interactive. If you are going to do an excursion make sure you book in advance, many of them sell out early.

GrantDawg
06-16-2011, 11:45 AM
I seem to remember they had some nice fruit platters to snack on. Other than that, can't help you. We lost a lot of weight before ours, and then just let the diet go while on the cruise. It was part of the fun. I agree with Lathum on the shows. We hit the comediennes, and they were pretty funny.

Rizon
06-16-2011, 11:54 AM
Do. Not. Buy. The. Pretty. Foo-foo. Drinks.

Yes, the little volcano in a coconut shell looks cool, but it's like $22 and has about 20 cents of liquor in it.

Rizon
06-16-2011, 11:58 AM
The ship should have a gym, so hit that up. But there will be food and alcohol everywhere. People will be trying to get you to eat even while you are duecing. I have no idea how to avoid it.

Swaggs
06-16-2011, 12:00 PM
I'd recommend just trying to stick to the foods that you know you can eat (grilled meats rather than fried/breaded, limit your desserts as you'll be offered them at all meals), limit your alcohol if possible, and try to do excursions where you will be active (go one walking tours over bus tours, etc.).

If you have a bad day or two or three, it won't kill you -- enjoy yourself. I had been controlling my weight really well and lost about 15 lbs before going on a couple of week-long vacations last month. I ate terribly (had lots of pizza, desserts, Ben and Jerry's or Dairy Queen several times, etc.) and had gained 2 lbs after each of the trips, but got back to my original weight within a week.

Blackadar
06-16-2011, 12:44 PM
Thanks for the suggestions.

- Nah, no drinks, not even the foo-foo drinks. Too expensive and not worth it. The odds are 50/50 whether I'll have even one drink while on the ship.

- In fact, I only drink water now, so I won't need a drink card.

- I'm actually looking forward to working out. The gym looks first-class and working out watching the sun come up over the ocean should be pretty amazing. Assuming that there's not a hurricane out there or anything.

- The shore excursions have been booked for months, as are tickets to the comedy club.

Bako
06-16-2011, 01:00 PM
One of the best parts of a cruise is the meals......especially at dinner. Since you are on vacation and especially a cruise, I wouldn't advocate just salads. You need to enjoy your trip and the food is a big part of that. My recommendation is portion control. Have a couple of bites of everything you want, but don't over-endulge. This will limit the cravings because as you might know, we want what we can't have.

Enjoy the cruise and time with your fam. Don't spend it worry about what you can't eat.

DaddyTorgo
06-16-2011, 01:20 PM
One of the best parts of a cruise is the meals......especially at dinner. Since you are on vacation and especially a cruise, I wouldn't advocate just salads. You need to enjoy your trip and the food is a big part of that. My recommendation is portion control. Have a couple of bites of everything you want, but don't over-endulge. This will limit the cravings because as you might know, we want what we can't have.

Enjoy the cruise and time with your fam. Don't spend it worry about what you can't eat.

Don't eat JUST salads no. But fill up on salads first before turning to portion-controlled bits of everything else.

GrantDawg
06-16-2011, 01:21 PM
Thanks for the suggestions.

- Nah, no drinks, not even the foo-foo drinks. Too expensive and not worth it. The odds are 50/50 whether I'll have even one drink while on the ship.

- In fact, I only drink water now, so I won't need a drink card.

- I'm actually looking forward to working out. The gym looks first-class and working out watching the sun come up over the ocean should be pretty amazing. Assuming that there's not a hurricane out there or anything.

- The shore excursions have been booked for months, as are tickets to the comedy club.

Be careful with the water! My memory is the water did not taste good on the ship. You might want a drink card for bottled water (which was expensive if I remember correctly).

Lathum
06-16-2011, 01:51 PM
Be careful with the water! My memory is the water did not taste good on the ship. You might want a drink card for bottled water (which was expensive if I remember correctly).

Last Royal Caribeen cruise I took offered a bottled water package that was a decent deal

Blackadar
06-16-2011, 02:59 PM
So, the $2,500 per person cost doesn't include bottled water? Sheesh...what the ever lovin' hell is up with that crap?

GrantDawg
06-16-2011, 03:01 PM
So, the $2,500 per person cost doesn't include bottled water? Sheesh...what the ever lovin' hell is up with that crap?

$$$$$$$$$$. The price includes a lot (food heavily), but the drinks are where they get ya. And tips (don't forget the tips).

Lathum
06-16-2011, 04:37 PM

Maybe yours does (but I doubt it), mine didn't.

Mustang
06-16-2011, 06:22 PM
If you have good control, you will probably find that you eat better.. there is no shortage of fruit/vegetables. I've went twice and I didn't balloon up.. I maybe gained 2-3 lbs over the entire 7 day cruise.

Not sure how RC does it, but Princess had 3-4 separate specialty restaurants to go to that had a small charge.. I recommend getting a list of the menus and then going to one of those.. we weren't disappointed and it was a change of pace even though we paid extra.

terpkristin
06-16-2011, 06:46 PM
I'm headed on a cruise in about a week and a half. 7 days down to St. Thomas on the largest cruise ship ever built, the Allure of the Seas (Royal Caribbean). It's me, the wife, the 21 mo old, the 11 year old, the grandparents, my sister and her SO. Joy.

Royal Caribbean International (http://www.royalcaribbean.com/findacruise/ships/clas/shi/home.do?shipCode=AL)

I'm a cruise virgin, so I almost don't even know what to ask.

1. Anything in particular I need to do on this cruise? I know we have some meals in the "extra" dining restaurants, a shore excursion planned (snorkeling) and probably a massage. But is there anything else that is a "must do"? The damn ship is big enough that most anything is available. Any suggested times to do those things to beat the crowds (since there's like 6,000 passengers on this ship)?

2. I'm trying to control my weight (anyone who posts in the Weight Thread in the Dynasty Forums knows about this) and I'm doing great. But I've heard everyone gains 5 or 10 pounds on a cruise. I really don't want to do that if I can help it. I'll continue to work out while on-board the ship, but it's the eating that will make or break me. So does anyone have any suggestions on trying to eat right on a cruise to avoid a lot of weight gain? (Note: I'll avoid the alcohol anyway, so that's not a problem)

Haven't read the thread so I don't know what others have said, but I've actually LOST weight on both cruises I was on. I think I did that because a) I walked around a lot, just checking stuff out, or moving from place to place as the sun/wind changed and b) I made sure to eat like I "normally" eat and not go back for seconds or eat too often. I found hanging out in areas farther away from food helped that. Usually there is a buffet right near the pool, where a lot of people tend to hang out. But usually you can go up a level and still be in the sun, but be that much farther away from the food. So I'd place myself where it wouldn't be so easy to get up and grab food. Also, I avoided the salads though you think they'd be healthy. I had serious mistrust of the water on board and when it wasn't cooked.... I did eat a lot of vegetables, though. All the meal options, buffet or dining room, had vegetarian options. I think because the staff for these things is usually international, I've found the Indian food on both cruises to be quite good.

Things I had wish I'd known before I went on my first cruise:
1) bring a small backpack so you can keep things you might want "all day" with you. For me, this included an iPod, a book, my camera, my Sea Pass, sunscreen, and chapstick.

2) Headphones that isolate some sound (don't need full noise cancellation...) are very useful. There are a lot of rude people on cruises, and if you hang out near the pool, there's probably also music blaring.

3) The nighttime entertainment on the RC cruise I was on was quite good. The nighttime entertainment on the Princess cruise I was on was not. Still, give them a go, even if you don't think it'll be your thing. I'm not the biggest fan of magicians, for example, but the one I saw on RC was freaking awesome.

4) There are a couple "activities" that are usually fun. And there are a lot that aren't. I wish I could remember the two I really liked, but they're ones that are common to cruises.

5) Stay hydrated, especially the first day. The first day they make you do the emergency muster drill and I definitely remember being really worn down by the end of the day, as it had been a lot of excitement to get to the boat, then onto the boat, then to the muster station, etc... I had no qualms about paying for bottled water, as I was sort of mistrustful of the fountain water.

6) At least once, eat in the dining room for breakfast. I found it much more enjoyable than the buffet. Then, I'm not the biggest fan of buffets in general...kids + buffets can get gross, and I'm severely allergic to shellfish so I worried about cross-contamination.

7) Don't forget either extra chargers for your devices (camera!) or extra batteries.

/tk

terpkristin
06-16-2011, 06:47 PM
Not sure how RC does it, but Princess had 3-4 separate specialty restaurants to go to that had a small charge.. I recommend getting a list of the menus and then going to one of those.. we weren't disappointed and it was a change of pace even though we paid extra.

Weird. The Princess cruise I went on, the restaurant we went to was pretty bad. Guess it varies ship to ship, cruise to cruise.

/tk

Mustang
06-16-2011, 07:27 PM
Weird. The Princess cruise I went on, the restaurant we went to was pretty bad. Guess it varies ship to ship, cruise to cruise.

/tk

I'd have to look up the names.. I know one of the ships was their newest one at the time the Caribbean Princess. I remember one being a steak place and the other was an Italian one. We really liked both of them.

I think food can be hit or miss. We liked the buffet on one cruise and the second time it was rather meh

dzilla77
06-16-2011, 09:13 PM
When I went about 10 years ago, we found that the dining room for breakfast and lunch was much more enjoyable. The food was better and you got to meet a lot of different people (although with a party your size you might occupy an entire table). You might be less tempted to over eat than at the buffets, as you have to ask for the seconds (or thirds).

GrantDawg
06-16-2011, 09:46 PM
The ship I was on didn't have any restaurants that cost more, but all the food was good. i can't think of a single thing I ate that wasn't good.