PDA

View Full Version : Transfer Block Strategy?

RPI-Fan
04-23-2003, 01:06 PM
Has anybody tried timing their transfers so guys are ending right during gamedays, particularly at the time of games in Sverige or the U.S.?

I didn't mean to, but I put a guy on, and he'll be ending right about gametime for the U.S.A. - I'm hoping it will incite some sort of bidding war...

So, has anybody intentionally used this idea, and profited from it?

~rpi-fan

HornedFrog Purple
04-23-2003, 01:50 PM
I haven't but I remember Alf got a keeper at a bargain when games were going on, so I would guess it may not be effective.

JHandley
04-23-2003, 06:28 PM
I would think it would work exactly the oppostite. I suppose there would be a few people who notice holes in their teams during the game and check the transfer wires during game time. But, I would think most people follow their games and then check the transfer wires after the game is over.

I've been trying to plan mine on immediately when I get home from work. I live in Seattle, so at 5 PST, I figure I'll hit all the time zones when people are still awake and able to log on.

FrogMan
04-23-2003, 06:56 PM
Originally posted by JHandley
I would think it would work exactly the oppostite. I suppose there would be a few people who notice holes in their teams during the game and check the transfer wires during game time. But, I would think most people follow their games and then check the transfer wires after the game is over.

I've been trying to plan mine on immediately when I get home from work. I live in Seattle, so at 5 PST, I figure I'll hit all the time zones when people are still awake and able to log on.

I would go with that first thinking, my guest would be that managers don't check their rosters too much for holes DURING the games.

However, I try to time my transfer market a little earlier than you JHandley. I live on the East coast and I try to put my players on the market around 4 or 5 pm eastern, that's at the latest 11pm HT time (i.e. Europe time). Your 5pm PST is 8 eastern, then about 2 in the morning, HT time (i.e. Europe time, or Sweden time :) )... My reasoning is that try to give as mant Swedish guys the chance to see my player before they go to bed :)

FrogMan

JHandley
04-23-2003, 07:23 PM
Ok, that raises an interesting question. Do you think most people look outside their country first, or do they focus on their own country's transfer list?

As a very young and poor team, I will check the other countries, but if there's an American with similar stats, I'll always go with the American to avoid the 20% bonus paid to out of country players.

FrogMan
04-23-2003, 07:28 PM
JHandley, there are many daytraders in Sverige. They come and often look in our markets for relative bargains and will sometimes buy him and put him right back on the market in their country, where he might sell for quite a few dollars more...

FrogMan

JHandley
04-23-2003, 07:39 PM
Do daytraders typically engage in bidding wars?

Remember, all of this is coming from a newbie to Hattrick, I'm still very interested and new to the transfer market dynamics.

FrogMan
04-23-2003, 07:50 PM
I don't know about that. Maybe, but only to a certain point where they feel they can resell the player with a profit in their country...

FrogMan

Airhog
04-23-2003, 07:51 PM
the first couple of trades I made I only looked in USA, now I search every conference with more than 2k teams for players...

RonnieDobbs
04-23-2003, 08:09 PM
Don't know if you all saw this, but I did a little work on figuring out which transfer markets are most appealing. (http://dynamic2.gamespy.com/~fof/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=7529)

RPI-Fan
04-24-2003, 07:21 AM
Well, as a sort of conclusion to the story, Billingsley did go for about double what he'd been when I posted, after a long series of bids.

I wasn't online to witness it (too busy losing my $$ at poker), but it seems as though it was a bidding war of sorts. I think having the auction end at about 4-5pm on a Friday might be the best practice. I'll probably keep fiddling, but with this type of thing is probably impossible to get any sort of true data or research.

~rpi-fan

sterlingice
04-24-2003, 03:26 PM
Originally posted by JHandley
Do daytraders typically engage in bidding wars?

Remember, all of this is coming from a newbie to Hattrick, I'm still very interested and new to the transfer market dynamics.

Only to about 80%-90% of their value. No point in daytrading if you're going to take a huge hit profit hit.

SI

Brillig
04-24-2003, 06:00 PM
I prefer to time my transfer listings to expire in the evenings, European time, for two reasons:

1) Most of the players in the game are in the European time zones (CET or GMT), and are available for bidding wars at that time :)

2) The filters on the transfer screen for time (e.g. "ending today") are based on Hattrick time. So a player listed ending at 1:00 HT time would appear on an "ending today" search for only one hour. By listing a player to end late in the HT day, I ensure he shows up on the majority of the "ending today" type searches.