PDA

View Full Version : GE Rankings

GoldenEagle
04-29-2003, 07:32 PM
Ladies and gentleman of the Hattrick playing FOFC community, I would like to introduce to you the GE Rankings. The rankings are rated from lowest to highest in terms of points. The rankings are meant to supplement the other rankings of FOFC, sponsored by Frogman. Lets take a look in the criteria:

~Division: You get the amount of points of the Division you are in. For example, if you are in Division 3, you have three points to your name.

~Strength of Schedule: The schedule that you play outside of your league factors into the rankings. This includes cup matches and friendly matches. However, friendly matches are double the points that cup matches are. Example - If you play a Division 2 team, you add two more points to your total.

~Margin of Victory: Your goals scored average vs. goals allowed average factor into the rankings. GAA is subtracted from your point total, while GAD is added to your point total.

~Strength of League: Your strength of league, as determined by HatStats. If your strength of the league is number 36, then you are rewarded 36 points.

~Total Win/Loss Record: Your total win/loss record is important. Subtract one for total number of wins, while add a point for a loss.

Any other criteria suggested will be taken into consideration. Please respond to this thread like this, except use your team:

Golden Eagles FC
Division 5
Cup Matches
vs. Division 6 team
vs. Division 6 team
vs. Division 4 team
vs. Division 2 team
GSA - 2.625
GAA - 1.25
Strength of League - 107
W/L - 5-3

Thanks and good luck.

NAIWF
04-29-2003, 08:21 PM
Manhattan Marauders
Division 5

Cup Matches
(my previous owner played Div 6, then Div 5)

vs. Division 4 team - 3rd round
vs. Division 2 team - 4th round
GSA - 1.2 (1.13)
GAA - 3.4 (2.13)
Strength of League - 29
W/L - 1-3-1 (add 3 wins if you want my whole season's totals)

TargetPractice6
04-29-2003, 08:56 PM
I don't understand what this is trying to show. All it seems to do is rate the quality of opponents that a team plays. The strength of schedule includes friendlies, which are more or less pointless aside from training purposes. This can also be misleading due to international friendlies. Playing a division I Taiwan team would be easier than playing a division IV Swedish team. Also the strength or league puts alot of emphasis on how good all 8 teams in the series perform on a given week. It doesn't really take into account how well the team being rated performed, or even the team it played. It could be very hard for a good team to make up for being in a bad series, since the only factor that measures actual team performance is margin of victory (which is still relative).

Maybe this is what you are aiming for though. I don't mean to be critical, but this is just what jumped out at me on first glance.

GoldenEagle
04-29-2003, 09:05 PM
Thanks for criticisim TP. Your points are valid. Basically, what I am trying to come up with is another way of ranking for FOFC. The rankings will factor in all the above critera. Friendlies maybe pointless, but they will factor into strength of schedule. It will be faltering in some aspects, but I think I can get it right after awhile. In anyways, its just trying to give the FOFC another ranking(s) to look at it.

Any other criticism is more than welcome, as this is how it will improve.

I have already noticed one glaring mistake, and I will edit to fix it.

TargetPractice6
04-29-2003, 09:22 PM
What span of time does this take place over?

lytic
04-29-2003, 09:33 PM
Are you gonna check out all the teams yourself? :p

sterlingice
04-29-2003, 10:00 PM
This hurts my brain. It's like QB Ratings or the BCS :D

SI

GoldenEagle
04-29-2003, 10:12 PM
Time span will be a week every season, if that makes sense. Hopefully I can update that much. Once the season turns, the rankings will start over.

And yes, I would compare it to the BCS. :)

vex
04-29-2003, 11:20 PM
I understand the BCS, this is definitely comparable to the QB ratings for me though.

GoldenEagle
04-30-2003, 12:05 AM
Rankings so far....

1. Manhattan Marauders - 54
2. Golden Eagles - 134

The strength of series killed me. This might have to be editied. I dont know, suggestions?

Airhog
04-30-2003, 12:31 AM
Sos should be balanced with your performance..Meaning that it should alter your ratings, so that If my team is pretty equal with your team, but you play a tougher sos, and I play an easy schedule, we should both still be rated the same.

sterlingice
04-30-2003, 01:07 AM
There is an inherent flaw in including series games for strength of schedule: everyone plays 2 games against everyone in a league so the league SoS rating is only a reflection on your own record (i.e. not counting ties, every league will have the same record: .500 and thus the overall SoS will be the record of the other seven teams: .500 plus/minus your record).

SI