PDA

View Full Version : Got my solid coach...and there was much rejoicing. Yea!!!

PilotMan
05-03-2003, 11:02 PM
After MOTS'ing in the Cup to stay in, and winning. We got pummled in the league game against a team that had no business beating us. Then got pummeled again in the next Cup match. The coach's head was on the line. Reluctant to let him go as we just made it out of the debt he caused. He cost 180,000 to get a passable/all out coach. We fired him for the players sake.

A mere 40,000 later, and still OUT OF DEBT, we got our solid/all out coach! I am sick of all of you who get them on the first try. Go kiss a crawfish! This is my little celebration!!

BishopMVP
05-03-2003, 11:14 PM
It took me 3 tries to get an inad/all out coach who I had for 6 weeks, but then I just fired him and in 2 tries I got:

Jean Duarte (11457105)
43 years, disastrous form, healthy
A solid coach who prefers a strong defensive game
A sympathetic guy who is calm and dishonest.
Has excellent experience and weak leadership abilities.

He's not all out, but I think I can live with that for now.

TargetPractice6
05-03-2003, 11:16 PM
Took me 18 tries to get mine. That's a bit over half of the attendance money I got that week :(

PilotMan
05-03-2003, 11:21 PM
Here he is:

Lyndon Davis (11466580)
31 years, disastrous form, healthy
A solid coach who goes all out
A sympathetic guy who is temperamental and honest.
Has formidable experience and passable leadership abilities.

Does the age, experience or leadership abilities of a coach count for anything? He must have just retired, my captain is almost as old.

BishopMVP
05-03-2003, 11:24 PM
Experience doesn't matter unless he gets in the game, but leadership can. My last coach, in addition to being inadequate, was a controversial/passable and ended up being somewhat of an anti-clown. If he has bad agreeability he can counteract the benefits of a clown.

EDIT: stupid mistake changed

TargetPractice6
05-03-2003, 11:26 PM
Age and experience mean nothing. Well, experience counts just as a normal player's if he plays in a match, but that is about all. Leadership ont he other hand does matter. It says in the rules that a coach with good leadership will help team spirit. To what extent I don't know.

sterlingice
05-03-2003, 11:35 PM
Originally posted by TargetPractice6
Took me 18 tries to get mine. That's a bit over half of the attendance money I got that week :(

*plays the world's smallest violin*

SI

RPI-Fan
05-04-2003, 12:00 AM
Hmm - I'm tempted to keep this guy...

Clemente Barnhart (11490805)
57 years, disastrous form, healthy
A solid coach who prefers a strong defensive game
A pleasant guy who is temperamental and dishonest.
Has outstanding experience and passable leadership abilities.

Nationality: USA
Assessed value: 0 US$
Wage: 500 US$/week
Owner: Averill Park Mercury
Warnings: 0

Stamina: disastrous Goaltending: wretched
Playmaking: wretched Passing: disastrous
Winger: disastrous Defending: disastrous
Scoring: wretched Set Pieces: wretched

How big of a detriment is the defensive thing?

Thanks!
~rpi-fan

PilotMan
05-04-2003, 12:14 AM
I would say, that it is the #2 best coach to have. Certainly worth keeping unless your team spirit and confidence are in the trash. Like mine were.

TargetPractice6
05-04-2003, 12:39 AM
Keep him!! Being defensive isn't a detriment at all. He will add a couple levels on to your defense ratings rather than your offense ratings. Sure defense is a bit underrated, but offense isn't that much more important. Still a very good coach.

Rich1033
05-04-2003, 12:46 AM
True, I have a passable coach who prefers a defensive game and he does really help my ratings. I run a 3-5-2 with only have passable defenders who always get excellent ratings and a formidable once in a while.

[edit- A nice big you suck goes out to all you guys with solid coaches]

FrogMan
05-04-2003, 09:58 AM
Originally posted by Rich1033
True, I have a passable coach who prefers a defensive game and he does really help my ratings. I run a 3-5-2 with only have passable defenders who always get excellent ratings and a formidable once in a while.

[edit- A nice big you suck goes out to all you guys with solid coaches]

I second your edit, Rich. Especially after I paid 110K for my passable coach... :(

FM
edit: damn typos!

Coffee Warlord
05-04-2003, 12:46 PM
Believe it or not, I actually think I prefer my defensive coach. Defense is my weak side, and I play most of my players offensive. With a defensive coach, I can pull respectable ratings on defense and still let my boys break out on attack.

lytic
05-04-2003, 01:36 PM
A defensive coach is just more likely to sit on a lead and pull people back faster than an all out coach would...
That is the major difference... I don't think they help the ratings out enough to be visible. The U20 South Korean team has both.

The reason the stats look higher is because they pull back and concentrate more on D... which takes away from the attack. If it doesn't say it in the match report, than your ratings won't be affected by the coach.

Geez, I hope that makes sense...

Nyarlahotep
05-04-2003, 02:44 PM
Originally posted by lytic
A defensive coach is just more likely to sit on a lead and pull people back faster than an all out coach would...
That is the major difference... I don't think they help the ratings out enough to be visible. The U20 South Korean team has both.

The reason the stats look higher is because they pull back and concentrate more on D... which takes away from the attack. If it doesn't say it in the match report, than your ratings won't be affected by the coach.

Geez, I hope that makes sense...

Is that really true? I keep seeing posts with people crying over their all out coach pulling back after two goals.

TargetPractice6
05-04-2003, 05:10 PM
That is incorrect lytic. Defensive coaches actually add a couple levels to your defense ratings. Offensive coachs add a couple levels to your attack ratings. Even in games in which the team doesn't pull back, the defensive coach with still contribute to the ratings.

mckerney
05-04-2003, 05:43 PM
I don't think I even have to say that I hate you...

Ally
05-04-2003, 06:37 PM
So does that mean that, even though this guy is defensive, I should go ahead and keep him? I don't seem to have problems scoring. (correction, my hattie team doesn't seem to have problems scoring. heh)

Rob Banks (10523629)
45 years, wretched form, healthy
A passable coach who prefers a strong defensive game
A pleasant guy who is calm and righteous.
Has poor experience and passable leadership abilities.

mckerney
05-04-2003, 06:58 PM
Your having a passable coach doesn't mean I hate you, but it does make me a little mad...

Richards
05-05-2003, 06:46 AM
Originally posted by Ally
[B]So does that mean that, even though this guy is defensive, I should go ahead and keep him? I don't seem to have problems scoring. (correction, my hattie team doesn't seem to have problems scoring. heh)

Well this is just anecdotal, but in my Series VI.913 of newbies, the current series leader has a Solid defensive coach, (I have solid all-out) and let's just say I'm a little jealous-- he's made no transfers to speak of, plays 3 defenders, and his stock keeper worth 44,000 who gets one * per game....and he's 4 points clear at the top already with a 11-3 goal differential.

Maybe just a fluke....but I curse their coach

the_meanstrosity
05-06-2003, 12:50 AM
I'm still waiting on my SOLID coach. Maybe after my recent arena construction is completed, I'll have some money saved up for the Coaching carousel and will try again...and again...and again...

Owner of the MoKan Mighty Bastards

bigjdotcom01
05-06-2003, 05:58 AM
I just sacked my inadequate manager and picked up a solid/all out guy after three tries. I am finally starting to realize what you need to do to win in this game.

I also just picked up two young IM's off the transfer wire for under 70000 each and my youth sqaud has just changed to solid.

Now if I could only promote a solid goalie :rolleyes:

Watch out for West Henrietta FC in the near future!

Eilim
05-06-2003, 06:05 AM
Well, I finally made my attempt to upgrade my inad/all out coach. 90k later.. I have an inad/defensive. *sigh* He'll have to do until after my next MOTS, I just refuse to go in debt. Does help though, as I planned on finally making the switch over to a 3-5-2 from my normal 4-5-1. Atleast now my defensive ratings should not take as big a hit as they would have before.

-Eilim

PilotMan
05-06-2003, 08:04 AM
Very frustrating, you eventually get the point where you spend so much money, you have to keep going, just on principle alone.

BishopMVP
05-09-2003, 05:26 PM
When did they change the name of the coaching styles? My coach is defensive minded now, as opposed to being fond of attacking. Aren't we all fond of attacking?