PDA

View Full Version : Time for some Dutch lessons: The Dutch IJ.

MIJB#19
05-04-2003, 09:52 AM
Sorry people, but a few recent threads gave me no other choice then to explain something typical Dutch.

The Dutch IJ.

It's basically an "y", though with dots on it, like with "ë", and typically typed as "ij".

Some examples of people having this letter in their names:
Rebecca Romijn-Stamos
Ruud van Nistelrooij
Johan Cruijff
MIJB#19

For those wondering, in my country it's a pain in the *ss having a name starting with an IJ, like me.
Originally'my initials are typed as M. IJ. B.
Still, banks, govermental departments and other asociations rather have me as "M.I.B.", "M.Y.B." or as "M.I.J.B."

Next week, a lesson to ponounce the Dutch IJ.

Swaggs
05-04-2003, 10:19 AM
Here comes the MI(J)B.

andy m
05-04-2003, 12:09 PM
what is this, school?

kiwiLB57
05-04-2003, 04:30 PM
Hey MIJB,

I heard that there was meant to be a game between the Dutch National American Football team (amateur = Dutch Lions) and the London O's who are one of the top amateur club teams in Europe.

Not sure how closely you follow the local scene, but I was wondering if you heard how this game went.

Met vriendelijke groet,

kiwiDE57

MIJB#19
05-06-2003, 02:48 AM
No, this is not school, but I saw how people turn the ij combination into ji. I think that if people know how it works, they won't make the mistake that often.

Plus, I need a lobby for Microsoft fixing my problem not being able to be registered properly because "they" included (almost) every other digit there can be in written language, except this one... (Well, a weird version of the Dutch IJ exists (being ,ÿ) and there actually are one digit versions of the i&j combinations (being ij and IJ) but typing it will likely cause it to show up as an □.)
You have no idea how much trouble I've had just trying to fix this thing with banks and governmental institutes(?).

Kiwi,
I don't follow national (american) football at all, so I have no idea how that team is doing. Maybe it's my mistake not being interested, but the local media doesn't care about american football, unless the Super Bowl is on or the Admirals play at home (which is a meeting point for the tv and movies celebs.)
However, I do follow the NFLEL closely, including a visit to the Admirals home game 10 days ago and plans to join 10,000 others this Saturday as well.

Alf
05-06-2003, 03:05 AM
MIJB : my family name includes a Ñ. And it has disappeared from official papers (id, wedding certificate) since everything is now on computer mode. The French administration does not know how to type Ñ, when it's so easy using Alt+165 :D.

I know how you feel.

fantastic flying froggies
05-06-2003, 03:54 AM
Alf, the difference between MIJB and you is that your letter does not exist in the french language... :)