PDA

View Full Version : Wingbacks

Doug5984
05-08-2003, 03:45 PM
I have a 2 questions about wingbacks;

When a wingback is played normal his rating helps the defense, and what? When he is offensive does it increase the midfield, or attack? And when defensive does he count the same for the defense on the side and increase the central d, or does it just increase the D on the sides.

Also, at what point is it best to switch a wingback from normal to defensive, is there any ratio that is used to get the most out of a wingback? Or is it more based on if your team needs help defensivly vs whatever wingbacks do normally.

Currently I have 3 true wingbacks on my roster that are getting defensive training, Stubblefield and Elfterescu are each very close to popping to solid D and I was wondering if it would be wise to switch them to defensive, but since they are both inadequate passers would it be better to keep them normal?

These are the 3 players I have, would you consider giving them any special orders, or at what level defense would be best to switch them to defensive?

Cody Stubblefield
137 000 US$, 18 years, solid form
Has wretched experience and passable leadership abilities [Powerful]

Stamina: passable Keeper: disastrous
Playmaking: wretched Passing: inadequate
Winger: passable Defending: passable
Scoring: weak Set Pieces: poor

Fons Pinoy
86 000 US$, 18 years, passable form
Has disastrous experience and wretched leadership abilities [Powerful]

Playmaking: weak Passing: wretched
Winger: passable Defending: inadequate
Scoring: inadequate Set Pieces: weak

Pavel Elefterescu
108 000 US$, 19 years, passable form
Has disastrous experience and poor leadership abilities

Playmaking: poor Passing: inadequate
Winger: passable Defending: passable
Scoring: wretched Set Pieces: wretched

NAIWF
05-08-2003, 03:50 PM
I only have inad/inad wingbacks and play them defensive all the time which gives me 2* each. All of your guys are superior to mine, but I would imagine if you need extra "D" you should play them defensive at the expense of their winger rating. It does weaken the wing attack somewhat from what I remember, but in my case none of them are good enough to add much offense anyway :)

GoldenEagle
05-08-2003, 03:52 PM
I am having offesnive struggles so I am playing my wingbacks normal. My mids are playing offense and I hope that the wingbacks can cover the space that that leaves.

Vince
05-08-2003, 04:13 PM
From the ABC of Tactics (http://hem.passagen.se/hammervald/abc_of_tactics/abc_of_tactics_index.htm):
Wingbacks:
Offensive Tactic = Skill increase in Winger, decrease in Defending. Strengthens Wing Attack, weakens Wing Defense.

Defensive Tactic = Skill increase in Defense, decrease in Winger. Strengthens Wing Defense, Weakens Wing Attack.

Towards the Middle = Skill increase in Defending, decrease in Winger. Strengthens Central Defense, weakens Wing Defense and Wing Attack.

Not to threadjack, but this is an apt place for it. Which Wing Back do you start this week? I run a 3-5-2 (Asymmetrical), so I only need one...

Tomas Palmbratt
48 000 US$, 21 years, passable form
Has wretched experience and poor leadership abilities

Stamina: excellent Keeper: disastrous
Playmaking: poor Passing: weak
Winger: inadequate Defending: inadequate
Scoring: poor Set Pieces: poor
or
Liu Yuan-Sen
113 000 US$, 27 years, passable form
Has poor experience and poor leadership abilities [Unpredictable]

Playmaking: inadequate Passing: disastrous
Scoring: passable Set Pieces: disastrous

I'm playing one of the top two teams in the series away, and I want to field the best possible roster. It looks as though they're both similar, and it'll be tough to get a handle on who's better at Winger/Defending because Yuan-Sen's Passable Scoring/Inadequate Playmaking skew his value. Both are ** Wing Backs playing normal at Passable form.

Doug5984
05-08-2003, 04:20 PM
Originally posted by Vince

Not to threadjack, but this is an apt place for it. Which Wing Back do you start this week? I run a 3-5-2 (Symmetrical), so I only need one...

Tomas Palmbratt
48 000 US$, 21 years, passable form
Has wretched experience and poor leadership abilities

Playmaking: poor Passing: weak
Scoring: poor Set Pieces: poor
or
Liu Yuan-Sen
113 000 US$, 27 years, passable form
Has poor experience and poor leadership abilities [Unpredictable]

Playmaking: inadequate Passing: disastrous
Scoring: passable Set Pieces: disastrous

I'm playing one of the top two teams in the series away, and I want to field the best possible roster. It looks as though they're both similar, and it'll be tough to get a handle on who's better at Winger/Defending because Yuan-Sen's Passable Scoring/Inadequate Playmaking skew his value. Both are ** Wing Backs playing normal at Passable form.

Well I would see what happens to their form in the training update, if one is higher then I would play him. If they both come out with the same form then I am not sure which one I would go with...

-Panther
05-08-2003, 04:31 PM
If they both remain at same form, I'd play Yuan-Sen.

Reasons:

1: Experience, while not much, it may help somehow.
2: His extra PM skill, while not relevant to WB, may help your team and/or ratings, somehow.

However, his 'Unpredictable' could cause a negative effect in-game. It could cause your opp. to get the game winning goal, or it could help stop the one that levels the score helping to ensure a win.

Wait till updates, if one has better form, use him, otherwise I'd play Yuan-Sen. My $.02

dacman
05-08-2003, 05:19 PM
Ah, Vince, that would be an asymmetric 3-5-2 if you're only playing one wingback.

Vince
05-08-2003, 05:59 PM
Good call, thanks dacman. I always screw that up, too.

daedalus
05-08-2003, 09:12 PM
Darn Gauchos ed-ma-kay-shun. :)

daedalus
05-08-2003, 11:48 PM
Originally posted by Vince
Tomas Palmbratt
or
Liu Yuan-Sen

Looks like they both stayed passable so if I was choosing for my team, I'd start Palmbratt. If they're both 2-star wingbacks in passable form, then they should be in the same neighborhood as far as abilities. A couple of reasons why I'd go with Palmbratt: 1) he's young, might as well get him the training, 2) unpredictable scares me for a defender and 3) having an unpredictable passable forward on the bench is a nice luxury and could turn the tide if he has to play. If you want or need extra defense, you could always play him defensively.

daedalus
05-09-2003, 01:14 AM
These are just my opinions. The experts may feel differently so you might double-check with them as well.

Originally posted by Doug5984
When a wingback is played normal his rating helps the defense, and what? When he is offensive does it increase the midfield, or attack? And when defensive does he count the same for the defense on the side and increase the central d, or does it just increase the D on the sides.

The best way to get at these questions would be to combine the information from the Hattrick Rules (http://195.149.159.155/Common/gamerules.asp?languageid=2&find=everything) with those from the ABC of Tactics (http://hem.passagen.se/hammervald/abc_of_tactics/abc_of_tactics_index.htm).

If you look under "Players" in the Hattrick Rules, you can see which ratings effect which element. In this case, your winger's defense count 2nd for the defense on his side and 3rd for central defense. His winger skill counts 5th for the attack on his side.

As for offensive-vs-defensive, the ABC page says that playing "offensive" will boost his winger skill at the cost of his defend skill. And as we saw above, his winger skill goes into the attack on his side. It looks like playing "defensively" will boost the defense on that side with no further effect to your central defense, he still contribute what he would have contributed had he been playing "normal".

Also, at what point is it best to switch a wingback from normal to defensive, is there any ratio that is used to get the most out of a wingback? Or is it more based on if your team needs help defensivly vs whatever wingbacks do normally.

I think it depends on your situations. Since I play a 3-5-2, I play my wingbacks defensive since I want the extra defense to support the fact that I only have 3 defenders. If I was playing a 4-5-1, I'd consider playing them either normal or offensively since defense doesn't tend to be a problem there and offense tends to be. The other factor, of course, is your personnel. If you look at Qwikkie's Ultra Nox, you'll see that he has 3 solid defenders, none above inadequate as a winger. Playing "normal" isn't likely to net him much offense anyhow since their winger skills are below-passable so why not just play them "defensive" and take the bonus he gets to the defense on that side.

Currently I have 3 true wingbacks on my roster that are getting defensive training, Stubblefield and Elfterescu are each very close to popping to solid D and I was wondering if it would be wise to switch them to defensive, but since they are both inadequate passers would it be better to keep them normal?

With Pinoy, I'd definitely give strong consideration to playing him "defensive" since his defending skill is behind the other fellas. With the other two, it'd depend on what your team needs. If you are getting sufficient offense out of your winger and are playing a 3-5-2, then maybe the defensive bonus from using the "defensive" instruction will work out well. If you could use a little offense to get your team over, then maybe consider leaving them as "normal" or even "offensive". Though I wouldn't do "offensive" unless you're one of those . . . 4-5-1'ers.

Good luck. :)