PDA

View Full Version : 5 WR Question

ZappBrannigan
02-16-2015, 02:54 PM
sorry if this has been addressed before. Is there a FOFC consensus regarding any benefit of playing an excellent TE in the 5th WR spot instead of a scrub WR? Or are you better off just leaving the scrub in there?

thanks.

Vaevictis_386
02-16-2015, 07:25 PM
The TE won't be worth it. Same applies to putting stud TE or RB receivers in the slot.

aston217
02-16-2015, 08:22 PM
Yeah, the consensus comes from FOF2k7 but I don't think I've heard anything different, but it was that TE/RB slotted in any WR position was a disaster.

Sometimes you don't have a choice, though, so if I only am carrying 4 active WRs I'll usually put a RB in the 5th slot.

Also -- if your QB doesn't have the 5WR formation in his arsenal, or if you simply avoid calling it (via the somewhat intimidating Formation Usage screens), it doesn't really matter. So making sure I have a 5th WR isn't something I worry about too much.

ZappBrannigan
02-16-2015, 10:27 PM
thanks - that's kind of what I thought. I know when I only have 4 WRs active, the computer recommends a low-end RB as the 5th WR even though I have a stud TE, so it must really not like TEs as WRs.

garion333
02-17-2015, 12:44 PM
The problem with it, I assume, is that most TEs can't play WR very well because of their weight.

As a completely made up example, if I take a TE and try and convert him to WR the game tells me he'll convert at 30%. That's horrendous. I wouldn't want to do that conversion, so you shouldn't put him in the 5th WR slot.

My assumption has always been that the game applies the same 30% penalty to the TE when he I put him in the 5th WR slot along with any penalty from lack of position experience.

Really, it's the position experience that's kind of a killer as you rarely have a RB or TE that are experienced enough to be effective.