Front Office Football Central

Front Office Football Central (http://forums.operationsports.com/fofc//index.php)
-   Off Topic (http://forums.operationsports.com/fofc//forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   COVID-19 - Wuhan Coronavirus (a non-political thread, see pg. 36 #1778) (http://forums.operationsports.com/fofc//showthread.php?t=96561)

GrantDawg 07-15-2022 08:18 PM

2 and a half years clean, my wife tested positive for Covid today. The chances she has given it to me is about 99%. So far she has very light symptoms. Hopefully we can both get out light.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

SirFozzie 07-16-2022 11:11 PM

Hope everything is good on your side, GD.

Here, the antibody treatment was friday morning (thankfully here in MA, it's all covered, didn't have to give insurance or anything).

Feeling, well, not great (if I felt great, I wouldn't be you know, sick!), but the major problem right now is fatigue. I have two stages, one where I have to sleep no matter what else I want to do, and the other stage where I can't sleep, no matter how much I really want to. Other than that, the typical covid congestion, lack of voice 3etcetera.

Kodos 07-17-2022 08:03 AM

I hope you start feeling better still soon, Foz.

GrantDawg 07-17-2022 08:16 AM

Glad, to hear, Foz. The wife went from cold like symptoms to flu like symptoms yesterday. Still no real fever, though. Just congested and achy. I am always congested, so it is hard to tell. Home test was negative for me yesterday.

Edward64 07-17-2022 08:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SirFozzie (Post 3372594)
Hope everything is good on your side, GD.

Here, the antibody treatment was friday morning (thankfully here in MA, it's all covered, didn't have to give insurance or anything).

Feeling, well, not great (if I felt great, I wouldn't be you know, sick!), but the major problem right now is fatigue. I have two stages, one where I have to sleep no matter what else I want to do, and the other stage where I can't sleep, no matter how much I really want to. Other than that, the typical covid congestion, lack of voice 3etcetera.

No rush but can you share what the antibody treatment was?

We talk so much about vaccines but not so much the therapeutics nowadays.

Ksyrup 07-17-2022 09:09 AM

FWIW, a local doctor who has been the media go-to since COVID began said the other day that we're seeing more negatives on first test for positive people than any other variant. He said many of those same people test again 3-4 days later and come back positive.

If that's the case, it seems like testing could do more harm than good in helping the spread because if I'm negative, I'm more likely to chalk it up to allergies or another illness.

PilotMan 07-17-2022 09:22 AM

The virus has figured out how to beat the tests to propagate faster!

It's ALIVE!

SirFozzie 07-17-2022 03:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Edward64 (Post 3372605)
No rush but can you share what the antibody treatment was?

We talk so much about vaccines but not so much the therapeutics nowadays.

bebtelovimab.

Just to go into the procedure... the company (a florida based company, CDR Maguire) contracted with Massachusetts to provide the treatment

Monoclonal Antibody Therapy to Treat COVID-19 - CDR Health and Medical

It took about 2 hours from arrival to departure. They sent three folks to do the treatment (the people are based out of Florida). One of the hardest parts was finding a vein, like most infusions, they need a really good vein that can withstand the infusion, so there was a lot of tapping, asking me to open and close my hands rapidly to make the veins stick out (my veins are not really robust, so it took two attempts and the clean up of a little blood from the 2nd attempt before the infusion started).

From the term infusion, I was expecting something like an IV stand with drip, etcetera, but no, it was one needle plunger full, and then it was monitoring time. I felt bad for them during that part, they had to sit and watch me for an hour, taking blood pressure and temperature readings every fifteen minutes or so to make sure I didn't have a negative reaction to the infusion.

They were nice about the whole thing, and allowed me to get up and move around if I needed.

As for the results, 36 hours or so later, the congestion has dropped. Fatigue is still a major issue (as I said, I have two major modes, one where I sleep all the time no matter what I want to do, and the 2nd where I can't sleep, no matter how much I want to). So, a lot of it is just dealing with the current status

One of the keys to dealing with it is to stay hydrated, and understand that fatigue is going to be with you for several days even when you feel generally "better"

Due to my immunocompromising medicine, one of the problems is that traces of COVID will last a LOT longer, so things that require a negative test, like travel, would be out for a while for me. Instead of waiting for the negative test to be allowed to break quarantine, I am to wait 36-48 hours after the last symptoms fade.

I see they have a list price for the treatment of $450 in their Tallahassee FL locations. I don't know if that's pre-insurance (listed for folks who don't have insurance), but it's really comforting to know it's covered, no questions asked, here in MA. Basically, you have to be an adult, and over 88 pounds, and mild-moderate symptoms (not already hospitalized)(

Edward64 07-17-2022 08:24 PM

Hey, thanks for the info. Didn't know about what happens so thanks for sharing your story.

Glad you seem to be doing well.

Edward64 07-17-2022 08:34 PM

Article from The Atlantic. Essentially predicting there will be lack of vaccines and confusion this Fall when it's time for the updated booster shots.

From The Atlantic (link is messing up the post).
Quote:

Not so long ago, America’s next COVID fall looked almost tidy. Sure, cases might rise as the weather chills and dries, and people flock indoors. But Pfizer and Moderna were already cooking up America’s very first retooled COVID vaccines, better matched to Omicron and its offshoots, and a new inoculation campaign was brewing.
There really is no excuse if it's a mess again.

Article said Biden hasn't gotten his $ yet but that's really no excuse. I'm sure the can move funny money around and get whatever funding he needs (and Congress won't say crap).

Plenty of time to come up with a "risk/issues log" and the mitigation/contingency plans. Put the right people in charge to get this done.

So Biden, I'm rooting for you but if it's a mess this Fall, it's all on you.

sterlingice 07-18-2022 01:13 PM

"Wuhan Coronavirus (a non-political thread, see pg. 36 #1778)" - lol

SI

cuervo72 07-18-2022 01:21 PM

Yeah, pointed that out probably a hundred pages ago.

sterlingice 07-18-2022 01:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cuervo72 (Post 3372699)
Yeah, pointed that out probably a hundred pages ago.

Which part?

The part where it's still called the "Wuhan" thread despite no one calling it that for years and the inherently political nature of that?

The part where the OP comically declared "non-political" despite the fact that so many aspects of the pandemic are inherently political?

The part where the OP who declared it non-political is often who likes to stir the political pot in the thread?

I wonder if we're going to get some new rules declared (and probably ignored) in this thread about how only certain people can respond or how it has to use Robert's Rules of Internet Order - the Sealioning, Goalpost Moving, and Concern Trolling Edition?

"Yes, yes, it's all a rich tapestry."

SI

cuervo72 07-18-2022 02:31 PM

Any and all of that, yes.

I've long maintained that the OP's only reason for being on this board is to stir the political pot, and I'm still not sure why he picked FOFC (I don't believe he ever played FOF). Why that isn't more broadly acknowledged, I don't know.

(I have the OP on mute; I have been tempted to tell Flasch that it's a no-win situation -- argue and you go mad, don't argue and you basically don't push back against the crap -- but I largely have opted for mental health. I know others have opted out altogether, to quote another forumite: "I was curious about the state of FOFC after roe v wade and some of the other recent shit, logged in and saw edward spamming a thread trying to rationally "both sides" florida's don't say gay bill and logged off.")

cuervo72 07-18-2022 02:48 PM

Two years to the day, pretty much: COVID-19 - Wuhan Coronavirus (a non-political thread, see pg. 36 #1778) - Page 118 - Front Office Football Central

(But only 93 pages, so apologies on that front. And I guess Lathum and ISiddiqui beat me to it upthread, really.)

Edward64 07-18-2022 03:17 PM

Ow, that really hurts. But whatever.

On Wuhan, I guess you guys really didn't care that much to follow-up.

Quote:

It's fair to ask why not change the name and remove Wuhan. I think my rationale is it wasn't political in the beginning, it was just a way to identify the virus. It's not political now, more an outdated term. If lots of FOFC members have a beef on this, sure I'll change it np.

On the political aspect of the post, I'll consider it political and also informational about forthcoming vaccination campaign.

But tell you what, here's a happy compromise for you.

COVID-19 - (a political thread for SI and Cuervo whine) - Front Office Football Central

NobodyHere 07-18-2022 03:20 PM

I think we need a group hug.

Edward64 07-18-2022 03:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NobodyHere (Post 3372714)
I think we need a group hug.

I'm game.

Or fight it out in a game of Civ 6.

stevew 07-18-2022 03:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cuervo72 (Post 3372704)
Any and all of that, yes.

I've long maintained that the OP's only reason for being on this board is to stir the political pot, and I'm still not sure why he picked FOFC (I don't believe he ever played FOF). Why that isn't more broadly acknowledged, I don't know.

(I have the OP on mute; I have been tempted to tell Flasch that it's a no-win situation -- argue and you go mad, don't argue and you basically don't push back against the crap -- but I largely have opted for mental health. I know others have opted out altogether, to quote another forumite: "I was curious about the state of FOFC after roe v wade and some of the other recent shit, logged in and saw edward spamming a thread trying to rationally "both sides" florida's don't say gay bill and logged off.")

+1

Flasch186 07-18-2022 04:19 PM

COVID-19 - Wuhan Coronavirus (a non-political thread, see pg. 36 #1778)

Deleted

bhlloy 07-19-2022 02:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stevew (Post 3372721)
+1

+Infinity. I’m almost at the point of leaving FOFC tbh when most of the time I come here and every single thread is last commented on by an obvious troll whose clear goal is to stir as much shit as humanly possible.

Edward64 07-19-2022 06:01 AM

I don't know how effective nasal/oral vaccines are vs injections but think they are much less effective. If Covid or other vaccines can be delivered this way effectively, it'll be great and probably increase our vaccination rates.

We're used to doing the home tests now, why not take the vaccine at home (assuming like no refrigeration requirements).

https://www.cnn.com/2022/07/18/healt...-19/index.html
Quote:

Injected vaccines against the coronavirus that causes Covid-19 have been hugely successful, saving nearly 20 million lives globally in their first year of use and slashing the pandemic's death toll by an estimated 63%, according to a recent study. Yet good as these shots are, they have not stopped the virus from spreading from person to person.

As the SARS-CoV-2 virus spreads, it changes. That's helped it get past our firewalls, the immunity created by vaccines or left behind after we recover from an infection. Which is why, well into the third year of the pandemic, we're in the midst of another wave of Covid-19 caused by the most immune-evasive variant yet, BA.5. And more variants are coming.

Even as vaccine manufacturers race to update the first-generation shots in the hopes of patching up our protection for the fall, other scientists are taking a different approach, making vaccines delivered via nasal sprays or tablets that would deploy more immune defenders to the body's front lines: the lining of the mouth, nose and throat.

GrantDawg 07-19-2022 07:32 AM

Update: Wife is starting to feel better. I feel like a truck hit me.

NobodyHere 07-19-2022 07:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GrantDawg (Post 3372763)

Glad to see her strength is improving.

Edward64 07-19-2022 08:11 AM

Yup, glad she (and you) are doing better.

In the past couple months, my daughter and SIL have caught it (no close relatives had reported catching Covid past 2 years) so I can easily believe this is a more contagious strain.

Wife and I were talking about family Thanksgiving/Christmas plans to see her mom & dad in Dallas. There's also a wedding trip in Sept.

If this does blow up and there are significantly more hospitalizations, may have to rethink this. Not really for us personally but more so less chance for her parents catching it.

But it will be 3 years since grandparents have seen the kids live.

Ksyrup 07-19-2022 08:19 AM

At this point, between work and home, I feel like I'm a finalist on survivor. I suppose it's possible I've already had it, but no positives and no symptoms despite my wife and two kids having it and everyone in my office getting it except one other person, I think. It's just a matter of time, I suppose.

Thomkal 07-19-2022 10:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GrantDawg (Post 3372763)

Glad one of you is starting to feel better at least. Now let me get this truck out of here for you...

bob 07-19-2022 10:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Edward64 (Post 3372753)
I don't know how effective nasal/oral vaccines are vs injections but think they are much less effective.

They stopped using nasal for flu shots years ago because it wasn’t as effective.

miked 07-19-2022 10:22 AM

My wife currently has it, caught it in Ireland most likely. We had to cancel our soccer game last night because half the dudes have Covid. At the hospital, we have several folks out and lots of people pulling extra shifts. Just gives the anti-science crowd more to crow about.

SirFozzie 07-19-2022 04:07 PM

So, a bit of a setback here, running a low grade fever (100.3), which officially has my doctor "concerned". It's still tylenol, fluids and rest, but if it doesn't get better with treatment or worsens, it's off to the ED for me. (not a certainty, not even a probability, but just a reminder that this thing SUCKS!)

NobodyHere 07-19-2022 05:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SirFozzie (Post 3372829)
...but if it doesn't get better with treatment or worsens, it's off to the ED for me. (not a certainty, not even a probability, but just a reminder that this thing SUCKS!)

Tell me about it

GrantDawg 07-19-2022 06:10 PM

The tale of two workplaces: I am in the middle of the busiest time of the year. My work has so much going on along with several people taking time off for vacations. I have been ready to go back to work by Thursday or Friday at the latest regardless of how I felt. My boss called to check on me tonight and made it clear I was not to come back till next week. He said "we will cover it. Get better."
Meanwhile, my wife's office is at the slowest point in the year, with her "doctor" on vacation so there are no patiences. They are riding her to get back to work. The front desk worker tested positive with no symptoms, and she is still working. There is next to zero reason for them to even be open, but they are forcing them to continue to work.

Edward64 07-20-2022 06:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GrantDawg (Post 3372838)
The tale of two workplaces: I am in the middle of the busiest time of the year. My work has so much going on along with several people taking time off for vacations. I have been ready to go back to work by Thursday or Friday at the latest regardless of how I felt. My boss called to check on me tonight and made it clear I was not to come back till next week. He said "we will cover it. Get better."
Meanwhile, my wife's office is at the slowest point in the year, with her "doctor" on vacation so there are no patiences. They are riding her to get back to work. The front desk worker tested positive with no symptoms, and she is still working. There is next to zero reason for them to even be open, but they are forcing them to continue to work.

In GA, there's that sign that says (paraphrasing) I can't sue an establishment when I enter the premises and catch Covid. I agree with that sentiment (otherwise a bunch of small businesses would be sued out of existence, or spending resources fighting threats of lawsuit).

But does that cover negligence and knowingly exposing a customer (e.g. by a front desk worker) to Covid? Or does the GA law assume the customer accepts the risk that anyone inside the establishment has Covid.

I'm thinking the latter but never really thought of "knowingly exposing".

GrantDawg 07-20-2022 06:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Edward64 (Post 3372865)
In GA, there's that sign that says (paraphrasing) I can't sue an establishment when I enter the premises and catch Covid. I agree with that sentiment (otherwise a bunch of small businesses would be sued out of existence, or spending resources fighting threats of lawsuit).

But does that cover negligence and knowingly exposing a customer (e.g. by a front desk worker) to Covid? Or does the GA law assume the customer accepts the risk that anyone inside the establishment has Covid.

I'm thinking the latter but never really thought of "knowingly exposing".

How pro-business laws in Georgia are written, my guess is they would face no liability. Of course, if she totally refused to go to work, I think she is federally protected. There is really zero chance she would lose this job if she stayed out, but she loves her co-workers and doesn't want to pay the emotional price that would be tolled if she stayed out.

Edward64 07-21-2022 06:42 AM

I asked a prior question why the 2nd booster hasn't yet been approved for < 50 regular folks. It doesn't have to do with further testing or data, just a disagreement internally, see below article.

https://www.cnn.com/2022/07/21/healt...ess/index.html
Quote:

CNN: Will adults who are under 50 be able to get their second booster anytime soon?

Wen: Federal health officials are discussing expanding the eligibility of second boosters. My best guess is that in the next month or so, they will make at least a permissive recommendation, meaning that those who want to get another booster should be able to receive one.

The decision about who should get a booster and how often is not straightforward. At the end of the day, there is a fundamental disagreement among scientists and public health experts on the purpose of the Covid-19 vaccinations.

Some believe that the goal of these vaccines is to prevent severe illness, and as long as the vaccines continue to protect against hospitalization and death, additional boosters aren't needed.

Others point to vaccines also being able to reduce symptomatic illness. That effect is not as long-lasting as the protection against severe illness, so those who hold this second point of view would advocate for more frequent boosters. The answer isn't straightforward.

whomario 07-21-2022 09:03 AM

Such a damn waste ...

https://www.theatlantic.com/health/a...-rates/670591/

Quote:

everal studies, for example, have shown that America’s life expectancy has tailed behind other comparable countries since the 1970s. By 2010, that gap was already 1.9 years. By the end of 2021, it had grown to 5.3. And although many countries took a longevity hit because of COVID, America was once again exceptional: Among its peers, it experienced the largest life-expectancy decline in 2020 and, unlike its peers, continued declining in 2021. But Bor says that people often misinterpret life-expectancy declines, as if they simply represent a few years shaved off the end of a life. Someone might reasonably ask: What’s the big deal if I die at 76 versus 78? But in fact, life expectancy is falling behind other wealthy nations in large part because a lot of Americans are dying very young—in their 40s and 50s, rather than their 70s and 80s. The country is experiencing what Bor and his colleagues call “a crisis of early death”—a long-simmering tragedy that COVID took to a furious boil.

(...)

This isn’t to minimize COVID’s impact; it simply shows that in the Before Times, America had “very successfully normalized to an extremely high level of death on the scale of what we experienced in the pandemic,” Justin Feldman, a social epidemiologist at Harvard, told me. And when COVID drove those levels skyward, America proved that “we’ll accept even more deaths compared to our already poor historical norms,” Feldman said.

sterlingice 07-21-2022 12:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Edward64 (Post 3372936)
I asked a prior question why the 2nd booster hasn't yet been approved for < 50 regular folks. It doesn't have to do with further testing or data, just a disagreement internally, see below article.

https://www.cnn.com/2022/07/21/healt...ess/index.html

The data has been pretty clear that even the pre-Alpha vaccine provides a couple of months of sterilizing immunity against BA.4 and BA.5. And if you think that even 20% of people will take it, I would say that's 1 in 5 people that aren't passing it along or are passing it along at a much lower rate during a peak. It would make a good bridge until the Omicron vaccines in late Fall (I keep hearing October or November) and it might even dampen some of the increase that happens at the start of the school year.

But that costs money and time and resources. If the goal was just to keep people out of the hospital and you only look in isolation, maybe you can justify keeping your powder dry on this one and just hold your breath and wait 3 months. I think, at this point, anyone worried about vaccine confusion or pandemic fatigue is mostly just pissing in the wind - we're already there. Giving another option isn't going to significantly affect it - those paying attention will do what they think is best, no one is creating mandates off of this policy, and people who won't get a shot aren't suddenly going to swayed one way or another.

I think the silo'd mentality of "hey, we're just looking at the pandemic from an individual atomic point of view" has been foolish from the start. The average 40yo office worker or 25yo grocery store has a very low rate of hospitalization or death from COVID, if vaccinated, but they do interact with older, more vulnerable populations so if you can reduce their spread, you can indirectly save lives, even if we can't put it to a spreadsheet because we never created any sort of contact tracing apparatus in this country. And that's before taking into account the long term effects and reduction in long COVID.

SI

sabotai 07-21-2022 05:36 PM

Started feeling sick last night. Ordered Covid tests today, but I also found out that a few people that were at the wedding I attended last weekend tested positive for Covid today so chances are good that's what I got.

miami_fan 07-21-2022 05:58 PM

Bring it back, Bring it back!

https://www.cnn.com/2022/07/21/healt...lio/index.html

Quote:

(CNN)A person from Rockland County, New York, has been diagnosed with polio, the first case identified in the United States in nearly a decade.
The unvaccinated young adult began experiencing weakness and paralysis about a month ago, county Health Commissioner Dr. Patricia Schnabel Ruppert said Thursday.

miami_fan 07-21-2022 06:00 PM

Dola: Yes I know. No need to overreact. We are going to need to wait for at least one million cases and at least a 20 year study to make sure it really is a thing.

PilotMan 07-21-2022 08:48 PM

god has given our bodies the ability to heal itself and fight diseases on it's own. Don't fear polio. It's just a construct to keep you owned by the man and corporate America!

JPhillips 07-21-2022 09:39 PM

They haven't said it, but I wonder if the polio case is in one of the orthodox Jewish communities. There's a lot of anti-vax sentiment in those communities and a lot of international travel.

PilotMan 07-21-2022 09:49 PM

Funny how when the right is talking about how 'foreigners' can't assimilate and they don't fit in, that when you ask them about orthodox Jews and the Amish they just stare at you dumbfounded.

QuikSand 07-21-2022 11:12 PM

Why it feels like practically everyone has COVID right now | The Hill

Edward64 07-22-2022 06:29 AM

We still have plenty of hand sanitizers and regular masks. May stock up on N95 masks (they're pretty cheap now on Amazon).

sterlingice 07-22-2022 07:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by QuikSand (Post 3372992)

One of the points in the article kindof grinds my gears. It says case rates are down because of at home testing. Case rates have always been unreliable. From the start, we didn't have adequate testing and we've never been able to get a handle on the number of cases, especially in surges. But as long as you have a large enough sample size, case positivity has been a pretty reliable metric (in the way that polling won't catch all the cases but the numbers are pretty close even with a small sample). And case positivity is about as high as it's been during the pandemic for Harris County, running about the same as last winter (we lost our best dataset here but the CDC still maintains running tallies)

SI

Drake 07-22-2022 08:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sabotai (Post 3372970)
Started feeling sick last night. Ordered Covid tests today, but I also found out that a few people that were at the wedding I attended last weekend tested positive for Covid today so chances are good that's what I got.

Same (minus the wedding part). Haven't had Covid yet, but by late yesterday, checked off all the symptoms. Off for testing this morning.

(And like a dumbass, I'm just working from home in the meantime, because apparently even being sick doesn't stop me from checking my e-mail.)

Ksyrup 07-22-2022 08:27 AM

Kentucky peaked at over 30% in mid-January and we're right now about 17%. But it feels like more people I know are getting it now than before.

Ksyrup 07-22-2022 10:14 AM

A new variant causing concern, but also, random dude named it and it caught on.

sabotai 07-22-2022 06:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sabotai (Post 3372970)

At home test was negative (but the people I know who got covid from the wedding also tested negative the first time). Am going to test a few more times over the weekend to be sure, but my temp is still normal and the pulse oximeter keeps telling me 99% SpO2, so if it is Covid that vaccine and booster I took because I'm a sheep not a lion is doing its job.

Edward64 07-22-2022 09:27 PM

Thanks for the reminder. Ordered my free 8 test kits tonight.

Haven't used the first batch yet but figured if I really need to use one, I may have to do multiple tests.

SirFozzie 07-22-2022 09:32 PM

The thing about COVID is that some symptoms go away (like the congestion and runny nose for me), but others take forever to go away (the cough, fatigue and general shortness of breath, today I went to the front door, picked up a package, brought it in, and had to sit quietly for a minute till I could breathe properly again)

Edward64 07-23-2022 06:24 AM

More info on what Biden is on.

That's a lot of pills daily. Wonder what the out-of-pocket costs are for a regular person.

https://www.cnn.com/2022/07/22/healt...-19/index.html
Quote:

Paxlovid is an antiviral medication from Pfizer that uses two drugs: nirmatrelvir and ritonavir. It comes in pill form.

The US Food and Drug Administration has authorized Paxlovid for emergency use in people ages 12 and up who weigh at least 88 pounds and who have mild to moderate Covid-19 but are at high risk for severe disease.

The standard regimen is three pills twice daily for five days.
:
Clinical trials of Paxlovid showed that it reduced the risk of hospitalization and death by 88% when given within five days of the start of symptoms.

However, the drug was tested in unvaccinated people during the Delta variant surge, so the results could look different for people who take the pills now, with the Omicron variant dominant.

Pfizer has said the drug works well against Omicron, and additional lab studies have shown similar results.
:
Dr. Anthony Fauci, director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, said that when he got Covid-19, he took a five-day course of Paxlovid and was feeling better but had a rebound with worse symptoms. He went back on the drug and recovered.
:
Some scientists think that some people metabolize Paxlovid more quickly than others and that they may need a longer course of treatment. Research is still underway.

albionmoonlight 07-23-2022 10:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Edward64 (Post 3373107)
More info on what Biden is on.

That's a lot of pills daily. Wonder what the out-of-pocket costs are for a regular person.

https://www.cnn.com/2022/07/22/healt...-19/index.html

I have a friend who is a scientist who works for Pfizer. He says that there is a huge difference between the vaccine and Paxlovid in terms of production. The vaccines are not difficult/expensive to produce--they can pretty much crank them out assembly line style (Note: this isn't about how difficult/expensive they were to develop, test, etc. He's just talking about the physical act of creating doses once you have the product, which is the part of the business he is in). But Paxlovid is a very complex molecule and it is difficult to make, requires more specialized equipment, etc.

So his take was that he does not think that it will be anytime soon that Paxlovid is cheap* or just something anyone will be able to get from the local CVS without special needs.

*Cheap meaning cheap to produce. I could see various changes in the law making it cheaper for the public based in insurance mandates, govt. subsidy, etc.

Edward64 07-23-2022 11:02 AM

Thanks. Appreciate you sharing your friend's insight.

sabotai 07-24-2022 01:53 PM

Three covid tests done, three negatives. I managed to avoid getting covid at that wedding just to pick up the flu there or right after.

Thomkal 07-24-2022 02:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sabotai (Post 3373188)
Three covid tests done, three negatives. I managed to avoid getting covid at that wedding just to pick up the flu there or right after.

Oof, that sucks.

sabotai 07-25-2022 06:16 PM

And finally, I went to the doctor and it's not Covid or the flu. Bronchitis (with a side of Conjunctivitis) is the final verdict. What a fun week for me.

Edward64 07-26-2022 09:18 PM

Looks like the epidemic started in the market.

https://www.cnn.com/2022/07/26/healt...-19/index.html
Quote:

In June, the World Health Organization recommended that scientists continue to research all possible origins of the Covid-19 pandemic, including a lab leak. Two newly published studies take totally different approaches but arrive at the same conclusion: The Huanan Seafood Market in Wuhan, China, was most likely the epicenter for the coronavirus.

The studies were posted online as preprints in February but have now undergone peer review and were published Tuesday in the journal Science
I know it's not politically expedient to say it occurred naturally (and not a lab leak) so let's see what Fauci/CDC says.

Quote:

Andersen said the studies don't definitively disprove the lab leak theory but are extremely persuasive, so much so that he changed his mind about the virus' origins.

"I was quite convinced of the lab leak myself, until we dove into this very carefully and looked at it much closer," Andersen said. "Based on data and analysis I've done over the last decade on many other viruses, I've convinced myself that actually the data points to this particular market."

Worobey said he too thought the lab leak was possible, but the epidemiological preponderance of cases linked to the market is "not a mirage."

"It's a real thing," he said. "It's just not plausible that this virus was introduced any other way than through the wildlife trade

PilotMan 07-27-2022 07:33 AM

The same people who understand this and still want to buy the lab leak theory, are the same ones who say gravity and evolution are still only 'theories'.

flere-imsaho 07-27-2022 09:55 PM

It's possible it could have been a lab leak in the same way that it's possible the Detroit Lions could win the Super Bowl this upcoming season.

Edward64 07-27-2022 10:22 PM

Or the Cubs finally winning a World Series

Wait a minute ...

Edward64 07-29-2022 07:21 AM

September.

I'll probably get it right away but because the prior booster saw significant decline in efficacy after 2-3 months, wonder if it'll be better to get the shot in late Oct/early Nov to better prepare for Thanksgiving & Christmas get togethers.

U.S. to begin offering updated booster shots in September
Quote:

The Biden administration will begin offering updated COVID booster shots in September, Axios confirmed on Thursday.

Why it matters: Though efficacy data is so far limited, the updated boosters are expected to serve stronger protection against the new Omicron subvariant BA.5 —the most transmissible subvariant yet. It has quickly overtaken previous strains to become the dominant version in the U.S. and much of the world
Quote:

Both Pfizer and Moderna have told the Food and Drug Administration that they are prepared to deliver millions of doses of reformulated vaccines by mid-September

albionmoonlight 07-29-2022 07:24 AM

That's sooner than I thought. I'll get one as soon as I'm eligible.

Ksyrup 07-29-2022 07:49 AM

If you've already gotten the 2nd booster, I guess you should have waited?

Edward64 07-29-2022 07:57 AM

Don't think so. I've read that second booster will not preclude you from getting this 3rd one in Sept.

Ksyrup 07-29-2022 08:14 AM

I might be able to get it, but I wonder if insurance will refuse to pay for it.

Edward64 07-29-2022 09:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ksyrup (Post 3373527)
I might be able to get it, but I wonder if insurance will refuse to pay for it.

My guess is yes. The backlash would be significant

Edward64 08-05-2022 07:45 AM

US and EU are getting 2 different Fall boosters based on the different BA variants. Scientists don't seem to agree here. To me, it makes more sense to go with the more recent mutation (US) vs a "largely extinct" one (EU).

Quote:

Some countries may go with vaccines based on the BA.1 Omicron subvariant this fall. It's not fully understood to what extent the sublineages of Omicron influence vaccine effectiveness, but some scientists who advise the World Health Organization argued that BA.1-based shots would be "more distinct" than other subvariants.

Moderna said it's developing a booster for the European Union, the UK and Australia that uses the original strain and BA.1. The subvariant is largely extinct, but the company said its studies have shown that this booster candidate still drew "significantly higher neutralizing antibody responses" against BA.4 and BA.5 compared with the currently authorized booster
Quote:

In the United States, a vaccine updated for BA.4/5 got the go-ahead for fall.

Dr. Larry Corey, a vaccine development expert and professor of medicine and infectious disease division at Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center in Seattle, said the data makes a strong case for the addition. Research on infections shows that the BA.4 and BA.5 subvariants seem to induce stronger immune response than BA.1 and BA.2.

CrimsonFox 08-05-2022 08:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Edward64 (Post 3373526)
Don't think so. I've read that second booster will not preclude you from getting this 3rd one in Sept.

third booster??? OMFG I need to collect them all!

Thomkal 08-05-2022 09:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CrimsonFox (Post 3374017)
third booster??? OMFG I need to collect them all!

You should be ahead of all of us on this-just imagine they are Steam badges :)

Edward64 08-10-2022 06:16 AM

This article made we wonder if we'll see a statistically higher drop out/failure rate in colleges in the next 2-4 years. Also made me wonder about other countries too.

Big cities in China being locked down also means their kids didn't attend school and probably didn't have access to as much remote learning?

Different & non-physical impact of Long Covid.

https://apnews.com/article/covid-sci...9b854355770a1a
Quote:

Across the country, there are countless others like him. Hundreds of thousands of recent graduates are heading to college this fall after spending more than half their high school careers dealing with the upheaval of a pandemic. They endured a jarring transition to online learning, the strains from teacher shortages and profound disruptions to their home lives. And many are believed to be significantly behind academically

whomario 08-11-2022 03:52 AM

Meet a new board member of the Idaho Public Health Department:

Dr. Ryan Cole’s journey from Boise to Nashville to France. His new focus? Monkeypox. - Idaho Capital Sun

sterlingice 08-12-2022 03:26 PM

CDC's new COVID guidelines, basically the "we've given up" shrug emoji: ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

https://www.cnn.com/2022/08/11/healt...ate/index.html

Quote:

"What the CDC is, in my opinion, trying to do, they are trying to still be relevant, and maybe when they say something, people will listen to them instead of being completely 180 degrees away from what behavior is anyway," Chin-Hong said.

Bill Hanage, an epidemiologist at the Harvard T.H. Chan School of Public Health, agrees that the new guidance shows that the CDC is trying to meet people where they are.

"I think that this is a point where you actually have to sort of get real and start giving people tools they can use to do something or not. Because otherwise, people will just will not take you seriously," Hanage said.

I'm sure the folks who were disregarding the CDC's recommendations for the last 2+ years, avoiding masking and ingesting horse paste, will definitely come around and agree with them now!

SI

GrantDawg 08-12-2022 04:36 PM

My favorite summary of the new guidelines "The CDC says: Spit in our mouths."

Glengoyne 08-13-2022 12:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Edward64 (Post 3373575)
My guess is yes. The backlash would be significant

Insurance isn't picking up the tab on the boosters. The nsurance is only covering the admin fee that the pharmacy receives, and that is being reimbursed by the government.

Now some payers put restrictions in place for age and maybe for the number of doses within a given period of time. My educated guess is that most are not placing limits on obtaining a booster "too soon".

Edward64 08-13-2022 06:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Glengoyne (Post 3374682)
Insurance isn't picking up the tab on the boosters. The nsurance is only covering the admin fee that the pharmacy receives, and that is being reimbursed by the government.

Now some payers put restrictions in place for age and maybe for the number of doses within a given period of time. My educated guess is that most are not placing limits on obtaining a booster "too soon".

Okay, good point. Insurance isn't paying for it but the government is.

Edward64 08-18-2022 09:44 AM

Coming to a theatre near you soon.

Unless there is a major outbreak, I think I'm going to wait till Dec to get this 3rd booster. I'm planning on overseas trip Jan/Feb so figure it'll be best to wait to 2-4 weeks before.

https://www.cnbc.com/2022/08/18/ever...cial-says.html
Quote:

White House Covid coordinator Dr. Ashish Jha said on Wednesday that the newly updated Covid boosters will be available to teens and adults “in a few short weeks.”

“I believe it’s going to be available and every American over the age of 12 will be eligible for it,” Jha told NBC News’ Lester Holt.

The new boosters target the omicron subvariants BA.4 and BA.5, as well as the original strain of the virus. BA.5 accounts for nearly 90% of new Covid cases in the U.S., according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

whomario 08-19-2022 03:36 PM

What in the World ? (No, it is not a spoof. Nice extra touch: England, huh ?).

Still possible the trailer is just weirdly done and it's more critical than "ah shucks, everybody tried hard, didn't they ? That poor Johnson fella sure had it rough", given the people involved ...

CrimsonFox 08-21-2022 04:10 PM

A thrift store in Indiana received these lovely horse pastes after he passed away. FOr sale cheap! And oooooo those mildewed flip flops! GIMME!

flere-imsaho 08-27-2022 01:03 PM

Well, we made it 2 years, 5 months without a positive test in the house (or even COVID-like symptoms, though I can't rule out anyone -- especially the kids -- having it and being asymptomatic at some point).

Wife starts feeling bad late yesterday, takes a test, is positive. Younger son & I test negative (though I definitely have some sort of cold - aches, congestion, etc...). Older son (who started high school on the 17th) tests positive.

So, I'm pretty sure it came from high school via the older son. Which doesn't really bode well for reinfections.

Oh well, we did what we could for as long as we could.

Thomkal 08-27-2022 01:08 PM

Sorry to hear that Flere. :( Hope you all have a quick recovery!

JPhillips 08-27-2022 01:09 PM

My wife and daughter are positive, but I'm not. Almost certainly they got it at the Harry Styles concert in MSG.

bhlloy 08-28-2022 01:30 PM

Well, after two and a half years it finally got me too. Not my most favorite of experiences, but haven’t had the cough so far so hoping it stays that way. Just a lot of aches, pains and fatigue.

Cuckoo 08-28-2022 02:38 PM

I finally got it this summer as well. I have some issues such as severe asthma, so I was a bit worried. In the end, and probably thanks to the vaccine and booster, it was almost nothing for me - sore throat for a day or so, slightly run-down for a couple.

So my wife has had it once, my oldest daughter twice and me now once. Always weird, though, is that none of us caught it from another, despite being around each other in close contact for several days. In fact, for mine, we all rode in a car together for 8 hours during what was supposed to be my most contagious time. Nobody else got it.

Also weird, my youngest has yet to get it. She's superhuman.

flere-imsaho 08-28-2022 04:35 PM

Positive test for me on Saturday. It's not pleasant, but I've had cases of bronchitis and strep that were worse. The sore throat is probably the worst part.

Of course, the bigger issue is that I'm meant to fly across country to take care of my folks for a couple of weeks after my Mom's knee replacement surgery (my Dad has Alzheimer's, so can't really operate as a primary caregiver). The operation is on Wednesday, and one of my sisters can stay a few days, but she's a social worker with a special needs kid, so that's about the max she can do.

I, on the other hand, can work remotely, so was planning to take over from her and stay there two weeks. Probably have to push that out if I can't get a negative test by late Friday. Ugh.

Cuckoo 08-29-2022 12:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flere-imsaho (Post 3376008)
Probably have to push that out if I can't get a negative test by late Friday. Ugh.

I kept throwing positive tests long after I was over it. I think it was a good 10-12 days before I got a negative.

Edward64 08-29-2022 02:37 PM

No more free test kits. Checked Amazon and it's $45 for 5.

Guess that's not too bad. Still have about 6 unused government ones.

Ksyrup 08-29-2022 02:48 PM

I mentioned in the Kids Leaving Home Support Group thread that my daughter got it at college. She's been home since Saturday morning, went and got tested today because one professor insisted on a note, and she's still positive. But since she started symptoms on Thursday, she's good to go back to school with a mask on Wednesday. She's been isolating upstairs so I hope my "unconquered" streak continues.

That said, I saw something recently that estimated that upwards of 50%+ of people who have never had symptoms likely have had Covid, just didn't know it. So I guess I could be one of those.

molson 08-29-2022 04:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Edward64 (Post 3376063)

Guess that's not too bad. Still have about 6 unused government ones.

I noticed all of our government ones are expired. Not sure how long they're still good after that, but, I'll try to burn through them.

albionmoonlight 08-29-2022 04:33 PM

It is hard to remember now, but there was a period of about three weeks or so when humanity was united against this virus. And it felt like something I’ve certainly never experienced in my lifetime. Then our media overlords told us, “Make this about red versus blue bullshit like everything else.“ And we listened and did that. But I feel there was a real missed opportunity there.

thesloppy 08-29-2022 06:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by albionmoonlight (Post 3376072)
It is hard to remember now, but there was a period of about three weeks or so when humanity was united against this virus. And it felt like something I’ve certainly never experienced in my lifetime. Then our media overlords told us, “Make this about red versus blue bullshit like everything else.“ And we listened and did that. But I feel there was a real missed opportunity there.

I vividly remember how friendly everybody was, in the first week when we were given the go ahead to walk around outside after that first couple weeks where everyone took the call to quarantine deathly serious. Everywhere was Mayberry for like a week.

21C 08-29-2022 09:06 PM

My recollection was more of isolated cases of "Mad Max". The *majority* of people did the right thing but the loudest and most obnoxious still bellowed about having their rights infringed and did whatever they could to push the boundaries of a civil society.

sterlingice 08-29-2022 09:22 PM

Was it the second closest to peace on earth in most of our lifetimes? The first, of course, was the first couple of weeks of Pokemon Go.

SI

RainMaker 08-29-2022 09:53 PM

Quote:

Yeah it was the media that did that.

Edward64 08-30-2022 08:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by molson (Post 3376070)
I noticed all of our government ones are expired. Not sure how long they're still good after that, but, I'll try to burn through them.

Thanks, I didn't think about that. I looked and my first batch expired in July and my second batch will be expiring in Sept. Looks like they're good for 6 months only.

NobodyHere 08-30-2022 08:04 AM

Quote:

You must not have had to search for toilet paper.

A man can have no peace if he doesn't have a supply of toilet paper.

PilotMan 08-30-2022 08:10 AM

I still have a stash in the basement as backup.

tarcone 08-30-2022 06:30 PM

Tested positive today with a home test. I went home early from school. 20 kids went home sick as well. We are now in yellow status.

Thomkal 08-30-2022 07:26 PM

:( take care