Front Office Football Central

Front Office Football Central (http://forums.operationsports.com/fofc//index.php)
-   Off Topic (http://forums.operationsports.com/fofc//forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   The Trump Presidency – 2016 (http://forums.operationsports.com/fofc//showthread.php?t=92014)

mckerney 07-27-2017 03:53 PM

MJ Lee on Twitter: "Republican senators are openly warning that the House better not pass the Senate's skinny repeal bill."

Quote:

Republican senators are openly warning that the House better not pass the Senate's skinny repeal bill.

If only there were some way for Senators to be able to prevent the House from passing the skinny repeal into law...

RainMaker 07-27-2017 04:17 PM

This is quite an interview. If the White House needs to create distractions, this guy is going to play the jester.

Anthony Scaramucci Called Me to Unload About White House Leakers, Reince Priebus, and Steve Bannon | The New Yorker

Ben E Lou 07-27-2017 04:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RainMaker (Post 3168102)
This is quite an interview. If the White House needs to create distractions, this guy is going to play the jester.

Anthony Scaramucci Called Me to Unload About White House Leakers, Reince Priebus, and Steve Bannon | The New Yorker

I call BS. Bannon doesn't look like he can touch his own toes.

cuervo72 07-27-2017 04:30 PM

Oxford comma.

JPhillips 07-27-2017 04:36 PM

The Senate looks like they'll pass a bill they wrote at lunch, but one they don't want to become law.

The House is gearing for fast track authority so that they could pass "something" in a day.

The President is excited to sign whatever comes to him.

This should all work out well.

Thomkal 07-27-2017 04:46 PM

They had seven years to come up with their version of healthcare, and they are going with one they wrote at lunch?

Easy Mac 07-27-2017 05:02 PM

Am I the only one who vacillates between unending dread for our world and shit-tastical horrorscope my daughter will be stuck with, and the "holy shit this is fucking amazing, the President's spokesperson said his chief advisor sucks his own dick!"

Like I want to enjoy how fucking incompetent these shitbags are, but the I remember I can't do anything about it because I live in a backwoods state in a dumb country and I get depressed. I mean, I've gained 10 pounds since the election, and it's not muscle.

RainMaker 07-27-2017 05:07 PM

There are benefits to it. Much easier to make money in a room full of morons than if everyone was intelligent. Just enjoy the theater.

JPhillips 07-27-2017 06:55 PM

The absolute best ending to Scaramucci is a Bannon filed HR complaint for a hostile work environment.

miami_fan 07-27-2017 08:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thomkal (Post 3168111)
They had seven years to come up with their version of healthcare, and they going with one they wrote at lunch?

To paraphrase the great American philosopher Mike Tyson, everyone has a version of healthcare til they get punched in the mouth.

JPhillips 07-27-2017 09:15 PM

I'm stealing this, but OMG, yes, in the Trump movie Ron Jeremy has to play Bannon.

RainMaker 07-27-2017 10:36 PM

Sounds like they may have the votes. Republicans will now own healthcare after this. Good luck.

kingfc22 07-27-2017 10:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RainMaker (Post 3168142)
Sounds like they may have the votes. Republicans will now own healthcare after this. Good luck.

The lunch paper napkin is back in style now.

RainMaker 07-28-2017 12:19 AM

bronconick 07-28-2017 12:31 AM

McCain voted no, killing the "skinny" repeal.

bhlloy 07-28-2017 12:41 AM

Classy brain cancer tweet coming in 3,2,1....

bhlloy 07-28-2017 12:44 AM

DOLA - has there ever been two branches of the same party desperately trying to screw each other over and blame each other for legislation they both wanted to pas but didn't want to get the blame for before?

kingfc22 07-28-2017 12:46 AM

Shut up Mitch. You and your cronies had seven years to put a plan together.

RainMaker 07-28-2017 12:49 AM

Flake and Heller had to put their vote on record too. That sort of fucks them for the next election. Maybe Capito too.

Izulde 07-28-2017 01:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RainMaker (Post 3168154)
Flake and Heller had to put their vote on record too. That sort of fucks them for the next election. Maybe Capito too.

Yeah, Heller's been getting a lot of heat here. If his opposition in primary and/or general play it right, he's toast.

mckerney 07-28-2017 01:53 AM

Chief Rum 07-28-2017 04:02 AM

As I have said before, there are some things I don't like about Obamacare. But getting rid of it and replacing it with a worse system is not the way to go about getting rid of it.

I'm personally not sure half of Trump voters understand why they are against Obamacare, other than Trump telling them so.

CrescentMoonie 07-28-2017 05:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chief Rum (Post 3168159)
As I have said before, there are some things I don't like about Obamacare. But getting rid of it and replacing it with a worse system is not the way to go about getting rid of it.

I'm personally not sure half of Trump voters understand why they are against Obamacare, other than Trump telling them so.

The rest know they're against it because it's named after a black guy who is probably a muslim. When facts are irrelevant, so are details.

albionmoonlight 07-28-2017 07:08 AM

So, wait. When you are running for president, you shouldn't make fun of a Senator in your own party for his war service? I'm so confused.

PilotMan 07-28-2017 07:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by albionmoonlight (Post 3168161)
So, wait. When you are running for president, you shouldn't make fun of a Senator in your own party for his war service? I'm so confused.

Didn't stop my pow dad from voting for him. Couldn't believe that. He had some rationalization for why it didn't apply to him. Either way, Trump voters will look past anything to keep supporting him.

Easy Mac 07-28-2017 07:36 AM

Quote:

What's sad is that could actually be the reason he voted against something that was a horrible idea to begin with. Doing the right thing for the wrong reasons I guess, but still a sad state of affairs.

Kodos 07-28-2017 07:36 AM

Quote:

I know. It seems counterintuitive, doesn't it.

Thomkal 07-28-2017 08:50 AM

well who would have guessed it'd be McCain who would be the deciding vote on this-guess in the end he was a maverick. Guess words/tweets matter after all Trump. Wonder what he said in that last minute phone call with him?

Hope the Republicans and Democrats listen to McCain's speech about why he voted no and learn from it. Probably not though. Hope too that this signals the end of McConnell's time in leadership.

Kodos 07-28-2017 08:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thomkal (Post 3168171)
Hope the Republicans and Democrats listen to McCain's speech about why he voted no and learn from it. Probably not though. Hope too that this signals the end of McConnell's time in leadership.

Amen.

BYU 14 07-28-2017 09:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kingfc22 (Post 3168153)
Shut up Mitch. You and your cronies had seven years to put a plan together.

Right, 7 years and the best idea they had was something cobbled together over lunch. Of all the Senators I have seen speak, he was the only one that stood up their pointing fingers like a petulant child.

SackAttack 07-28-2017 09:56 AM

Imma be cynical for a moment here, but I think McCain's speech was more after-the-fact justification.

I suspect what went down was more like this:

McCain returned to the Senate not for health care, but for the National Defense Authorization Act.

The quid pro quo McConnell was offering McCain in exchange for his vote on repeal was an agreement to take up the NDAA immediately after the health vote so he could shepherd that through passage before he had to leave again for treatment.

Rand Paul had some issues with the NDAA, was assured by McCain's office that those would be addressed via regular order, but that wasn't enough - he objected to the fast-tracking of the NDAA, which prevents the Senate from taking it up in time for McCain to do anything about it.

So McCain voted against repeal as a middle finger to Rand Paul.

I might be more inclined to take the Senator's words at face value if he hadn't said "I'm against this bill," then voted both to open discussion and then also voted for passage of the bill to which he objected (remember, the Senate tried three separate repeal tacks - straight repeal, repeal-and-replace-later, and "skinny" repeal).

Given that, I'm much more inclined to view McCain's skinny repeal vote as a revenge vote.

ISiddiqui 07-28-2017 10:00 AM

I actually think his yes vote on the first bill (BCRA) was with the knowledge it was going to fail and then he could go back and said he DID vote against Obamacare, but the other bills to take it away and not have a replacement would have caused chaos and he didn't think that was ok. I don't actually believe it was revenge vote at all.

SackAttack 07-28-2017 10:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ISiddiqui (Post 3168179)
I actually think his yes vote on the first bill (BCRA) was with the knowledge it was going to fail and then he could go back and said he DID vote against Obamacare, but the other bills to take it away and not have a replacement would have caused chaos and he didn't think that was ok. I don't actually believe it was revenge vote at all.

He's 80 years old and has a brain tumor. He won't face re-election until 2024.

I don't think he's looking far enough ahead to worry about positioning on whether he voted to repeal or not.

ISiddiqui 07-28-2017 10:23 AM

Do you think McCain doesn't think he won't make it to 2024? His ego isn't going to conceive otherwise.

Toddzilla 07-28-2017 10:29 AM

McCain probably wont make it to 2018, you think he gives a shit about reelection?

ISiddiqui 07-28-2017 10:32 AM

I'm betting that he thinks he's going to 'beat this'. If he didn't think he was going to last he'd probably resign his seat.

QuikSand 07-28-2017 10:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SackAttack (Post 3168180)
He won't face re-election until 2024.

I'm not much of a math guy, but with six year terms*, I sense a problem here.

* - Unless there was a tweet throwing out that part of the Constitution, too

SackAttack 07-28-2017 10:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by QuikSand (Post 3168185)
I'm not much of a math guy, but with six year terms*, I sense a problem here.

* - Unless there was a tweet throwing out that part of the Constitution, too

You're right. I really shouldn't attempt math before noon.

2022. I stand by my larger point, however.

JPhillips 07-28-2017 11:01 AM

Mitch has got to be one of the greatest opposition leaders in the history of the Senate, but he's been terrible in the majority. Not only did he lose, but his process didn't put any pressure on Joe Manchin. Given Manchin's personal politics, his states, demos, and his imminent reelection campaign, it's amazing that he never felt the slightest need to waver from his consistent opposition.

Jas_lov 07-28-2017 02:44 PM

McCain could also have been giving a middle finger to Trump. If Pence is President does he vote the same way?

mckerney 07-28-2017 04:13 PM

BYU 14 07-28-2017 04:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mckerney (Post 3168223)

Twitter is better than snopes sometimes :)

mckerney 07-28-2017 04:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BYU 14 (Post 3168225)
Twitter is better than snopes sometimes :)

Yep :lol:

Thomkal 07-28-2017 04:27 PM

Donald J. Trump‏Verified account @realDonaldTrump

I would like to thank Reince Priebus for his service and dedication to his country. We accomplished a lot together and I am proud of him! I am pleased to inform you that I have just named General/Secretary John F Kelly as White House Chief of Staff. He is a Great American....

CrescentMoonie 07-28-2017 04:30 PM

It's the White House edition of the Monty Python Upper Class Twit of the Year.

Thomkal 07-28-2017 04:31 PM

So how many top officials have been fired/quit now Donald? Yep everything working smoothly.

mckerney 07-28-2017 04:59 PM

miami_fan 07-28-2017 05:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mckerney (Post 3168235)

If I am being honest, I thought this was going to be the plan all along.

JPhillips 07-28-2017 05:55 PM

What's he going to do when he figures out there aren't enough Dems to pass anything either?

bronconick 07-28-2017 06:24 PM

He's a "businessman". It's going to all be executive orders and a war with North Korea.