Front Office Football Central

Front Office Football Central (http://forums.operationsports.com/fofc//index.php)
-   Off Topic (http://forums.operationsports.com/fofc//forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Random Thoughts That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Go Here (http://forums.operationsports.com/fofc//showthread.php?t=77784)

stevew 08-30-2011 06:27 PM

Lol, I was gonna go look for this Good Housekeeping watermelon cake, but thought better of it.

Scoobz0202 08-30-2011 06:34 PM

Can I bind master volume controls to unused keys on my keyboard via Windows? If so, how?

Or will I need a third party app. If so, what one? :)

Honolulu_Blue 08-31-2011 09:21 AM

On Monday morning Tom "Killer" Kowalski, a Lions beat writer for 30 years, died of a heart attack. He was only 51.

I can't tell you how depressed this news has made me. He was by far the best Lions beat writer out there. He was the go-to source for all things Lions. He also hosted a daily sports talk show and a weekly Lions talk show, in addition to doing work on TV. The guy really knew football. He'd re-watch every game and break down a dozen or so key plays in detail in addition to his daily coverage.

I always looked forward to reading or hearing his take on things and would always listen to podcasts or whatever of any interview or show of his I missed.

It's never going to be the same following the Lions.

R.I.P. Killer.

JediKooter 08-31-2011 10:29 AM

If you can't drive at least as fast as the posted speed on the freeway...stay off the damn freeway.

Rizon 08-31-2011 11:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rizon (Post 2520337)
I hate when I ask for something simple and it never gets done.

We have a company we help out a lot and I asked for a copy of a document. It's literally 20 feet from this person's desk. I just wanted one page scanned and emailed. Total estimated time: 60 seconds max.

It's been 5 hours since I asked (and yes they got my message).

It's also funny because I use to work there. So I know they're not too busy.

After my 3rd request, and nearly 24 hours later, they told me they didn't have the document yet. I told them they got it in June. :banghead:

JediKooter 08-31-2011 12:23 PM

Of which year?

M GO BLUE!!! 08-31-2011 01:06 PM

The Doughboys got a girl!

High Schools | Female player puts it all on the (offensive) line for Pershing football | The Detroit News

M GO BLUE!!! 08-31-2011 08:04 PM

Another thing...

Does putting someone who would frighten children out at the street to hold a sign with your business name really do anything to help increase business?

stevew 08-31-2011 08:40 PM

I've been wondering about the street sign(sandwich board) thing. I feel like it's something very new, at least in the frequency I see it lately. Dudes making minwage with their headphones on, holding a sign. I wonder if this is a temp agency type phenomenon.

sterlingice 08-31-2011 10:42 PM

And it's only certain businesses. Cash for gold and tax services seem to be the big ones along with some select fast food (Little Caesar's seems to have them a lot). I understand fast food- it's like another sign saying "hey, really, you're hungry and you want to come here": it's a reminder. But who bases their tax decisions on "Hey, I liked that guy in the statue of liberty costume" or "You know, I was just thinking how badly I wanted to sell some gold to a crazy guy in a gorilla costume!"

SI

JonInMiddleGA 08-31-2011 10:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sterlingice (Post 2521103)
And it's only certain businesses. Cash for gold and tax services seem to be the big ones along with some select fast food (Little Caesar's seems to have them a lot).

I believe the idea is mostly to make you aware that the business is at Location X (usually seems to be a small non-descript strip shopping center) more than to prompt an immediate transaction.

stevew 08-31-2011 10:54 PM

The dancing statue of Liberties pissed me off. The twist around sign that is twirled too.

Where's JIMGA at with the sandwich board advertising trend market research?

stevew 08-31-2011 10:57 PM

Dola- If Shawshank was set in the 2000s, Andy Dufrense would still be getting gang raped by the sisters since even a cromagnon can use Turbo Tax.

Lathum 08-31-2011 11:51 PM

The Statue of Liberty tax one always amazes me, SI hit the nail on the head with that one. Nothing like trusting sensitive, confidential data to them.

Bad-example 09-01-2011 12:11 PM

So, the other night I was celebrating my birthday. I merged with and sunk into my futon and fell out of reality, plummeting through the vast orange-and-purple maelstrom of chaos. One thought kept going through my mind.

Why the fuck would anyone try salvia a second time?

Suicane75 09-01-2011 12:43 PM

Because next time maybe you'll wind up riding unicorns across the cosmos.

Honolulu_Blue 09-01-2011 02:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pumpy Tudors (Post 2519178)
Speaking of real-life conversations only (not online):

I think there are maybe two people in the entire world whose fantasy football teams I am interested in. To anyone besides those two people, I don't care about your fantasy football team. I don't care who you drafted. I don't care who your next opponent has. I don't care which players you should keep from last year. I don't care what scoring system your league has. I cared about fantasy football for a long time. I don't care anymore. I stopped playing it because I was no longer interested. If I was willing to give up my own teams because I stopped caring, why would your team be important to me?

So, would you rather I tell you about my fantasy football teams in any particular thread or just through PMs?

thx

MJ4H 09-01-2011 05:04 PM

Want to show off my birthday present that just arrived.

:) :) :) :)

happy dance

MJ4H 09-01-2011 05:05 PM

OK seriously if that is showing up huge for you guys I have no idea why. I have scaled it way down on the site. I will keep trying.

terpkristin 09-01-2011 05:06 PM

Beautiful chess set!

/tk

Pumpy Tudors 09-01-2011 10:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue (Post 2521429)
So, would you rather I tell you about my fantasy football teams in any particular thread or just through PMs?

thx

Believe it or not, you are indeed one of the two.

M GO BLUE!!! 09-02-2011 12:11 AM

Just had the oldest dog here, who is at the point where moving is not something he does often or well, walk quickly into the bedroom & let out a loud fart.

He went outside faster than I have seen him move in a long time.

RainMaker 09-02-2011 04:51 AM

Beefaroni. Is this something to eat with a spoon or a fork? Doesn't seem like either is ideal for it.

CU Tiger 09-02-2011 06:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RainMaker (Post 2521766)
Beefaroni. Is this something to eat with a spoon or a fork? Doesn't seem like either is ideal for it.

Beefaroni - only a spork can understand the blended identity properly.

stevew 09-02-2011 07:33 AM

Quote:

It's something you eat once you've given up.

OldGiants 09-02-2011 10:24 AM

Quote:

A Runcible spoon, of course.

Runcible - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

gstelmack 09-02-2011 11:47 AM

I love how when I order Jimmy Johns, they include a menu in the bag. Even though I just ordered from the web, from the online menu.

RainMaker 09-02-2011 12:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stevew (Post 2521817)
It's something you eat once you've given up.

It literally was the last thing in my cupboard. I had been putting off going grocery shopping for a week. Felt like I needed a Silkwood shower after.

JonInMiddleGA 09-02-2011 01:23 PM

I was randomly thinking that I'd love to see some unexpected locations show up on the hit tracking for tonight's HSFB game webcast.

Since I don't expect you to travel to Lexington, GA tonight, see what a bunch of talented (if occasionally scatterbrained) students can do & watch the live student-produced webcast of Athens Academy at Oglethorpe County at Spartans Webcast Pre-game at 7p, kick-off at 730p

(That's random, since I happened to think of it while I was reposting the link on my FB and didn't feel like starting a HSFB thread at the moment)

jeff061 09-02-2011 02:14 PM

Can't cut out of work before 5:30 today. Looking at a trip from nyc/ct border to metrowest boston. On Friday before labor day weekend. Is traffic going to kindly or brutally fuck me?

JediKooter 09-02-2011 02:15 PM

Bring the lube.

jeff061 09-02-2011 02:17 PM

I was counting on you guys to provide a counter opinion to my office mates.

You failed :(.

JediKooter 09-02-2011 02:19 PM

Ah, sorry about that. I was just figuring with all the water from Isabel and the long weekend...well, I think you get the point. What about a quick hop on flight there instead?

jeff061 09-02-2011 03:04 PM

Nah I was kidding, I expect the same. I imagine a fliight from white plains to logan today wouldn't be worth the effort.

JediKooter 09-02-2011 03:40 PM

Right on. Either way man, enjoy the extra day off. :)

TCY Junkie 09-02-2011 07:05 PM

9.60 horse
74.80 horse
10.80 horse

And the pick three pays 215. I would have guessed at least 1200. Strangest thing I've seen at the track since I don't know when. I had all in the last race, funny stuff.

Dutch 09-03-2011 08:26 AM

Finished my last programming class and my last database class in one swing this week (400-level Advanced Relational Database class using Oracle SQL and PL/SQL). I'm on the downhill slope to finishing my CMIS degree I've been working towards at night since 2006. I'm so sick of working full time and going to school it's not even funny. Still 7 classes to go though....God I wish I could've just done this shit right after high-school...pass this on to your kids. Don't quit school after high school!!!

terpkristin 09-05-2011 01:23 PM

To go or not to go to the Maryland tailgate and game...

On the one hand, I've got 2 dishes I made just for the tailgate and probably won't be able to eat on my own. And, it seems unlikely that I'll be able to make it to the next home game and possibly not the one after, either (depends on work/when we launch this next satellite).

On the other, it's raining. And I just found out that my best friend isn't going (though her husband is). And a lot off the people that will be there kind of annoy me. And they'll be eating things that will kill me. And chances are, I couldn't stay for the entire game, anyway, since it's about an hour away, an 8 p.m. kickoff, and I have physical therapy at 7 a.m. tomorrow.

Bleh.

/tk

Draft Dodger 09-06-2011 11:28 AM

ah, look at that. it expands!

M GO BLUE!!! 09-06-2011 11:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by terpkristin (Post 2523293)
To go or not to go to the Maryland tailgate and game...

On the one hand, I've got 2 dishes I made just for the tailgate and probably won't be able to eat on my own. And, it seems unlikely that I'll be able to make it to the next home game and possibly not the one after, either (depends on work/when we launch this next satellite).

On the other, it's raining. And I just found out that my best friend isn't going (though her husband is). And a lot off the people that will be there kind of annoy me. And they'll be eating things that will kill me. And chances are, I couldn't stay for the entire game, anyway, since it's about an hour away, an 8 p.m. kickoff, and I have physical therapy at 7 a.m. tomorrow.

Bleh.

/tk

Not to mention having that pending accident due to dizziness from watching the helmets.

stevew 09-06-2011 12:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gstelmack (Post 2521946)
I love how when I order Jimmy Johns, they include a menu in the bag. Even though I just ordered from the web, from the online menu.

Just noticed a new Jimmy John's on campus? What's your standby choice? I will probably methodically work thru the menu at some point.

sterlingice 09-06-2011 01:42 PM

I'm a sucker for a #1 for something light, a Gargantuan if I'm looking for something heavy, or one of the Italian ones for something inbetween

Also, it weirds me out anytime I run across a Jimmy Johns that closes at 9pm

SI

Mustang 09-06-2011 07:56 PM

I have a unnatural hatred for Jimmy Johns tearing out my sandwich bread innards

Rizon 09-09-2011 01:38 PM

FBI is after me oh noes so they sent me emailz

Quote:

FEDERAL BUREAU OF INVESTIGATION
INTELLIGENCE FIELD UNIT
J. EDGAR HOOVER BUILDING
935 PENNSYLVANIA AVENUE,NW WASHINGTON,D.C.

ATTN: BENEFICIARY

I AM SPECIAL AGENT JOHN EDWARD FROM THE FEDERAL BUREAU OF INVESTIGATION (FBI) INTELLIGENCE UNIT, WE HAVE JUST INTERCEPTED AND CONFISCATED TWO CONSIGNMENT BOXES AT JFK AIRPORT IN NEW YORK, AND WE ARE ON THE VERGE OF MOVING IT TO OUR BUREAU HEAD QUARTERS.

WE HAVE SCANNED THE SAID BOXES, AND HAVE FOUND IT TO CONTAIN LARGE SUM OF MONEY AND ALSO BACKUP DOCUMENT WHICH BEARS YOUR NAME AS THE RECEIVER OF THE MONEY CONTAINED IN THE BOXES, INVESTIGATIONS CARRIED OUT ON THE DIPLOMAT WHICH ACCOMPANIED THE BOXES INTO THE UNITED STATES HAS IT THAT HE WAS TO DELIVER THIS FUNDS TO YOUR RESIDENCE AS PAYMENT WHICH WAS DUE YOU FROM THE OFFICE OF FEDERAL GOVERNMENT IN NIGERIA FROM UNPAID CONTRACT SUMS.

WE CROSS-CHECKED ALL LEGAL DOCUMENTATION IN THE BOXES, AND WERE ABOUT TO RELEASE THE CONSIGNMENT TO THE DIPLOMAT,WHEN WE FOUND OUT THAT THE BOXES IS LACKING ONE VERY IMPORTANT DOCUMENTATION WHICH AS A RESULT, THE BOXES HAS BEEN CONFISCATED.

ACCORDING TO SECTION 229 SUBSECTION 31 OF THE 2005 AMENDED CONSTITUTION IN TAX PAYMENT, YOUR CONSIGNMENT LACKS PROOF OF OWNERSHIP CERTIFICATE FROM THE JOINT TEAM OF THE IRS AND HOMELAND SECURITY, AND THERE FOR, YOU MUST CONTACT US FOR DIRECTION ON HOW TO PROCURE THIS CERTIFICATE, SO THAT YOU CAN BE RELIEVED OF THE CHARGES OF EVADING TAX WHICH IS A PUNISHABLE OFFENSE UNDER SECTION 12 SUBSECTION 441 OF CONSTITUTION ON TAX EVASION.

YOU ARE REQUIRED TO CONTACT THIS BUREAU WITHIN 72HOURS, OR YOU WILL BE ARRESTED, INTERROGATED AND PROSECUTED IN THE COURT OF LAW FOR MONEY LAUNDRY.

ALSO, YOU MUST NOT CONTACT ANY OTHER BANK OR PERSONS IN NIGERIA, THE UNITED KINGDOM OR ANY PART OF THE WORLD FOR ANY PAYMENT, BECAUSE YOUR PAYMENT HAVE BEEN CONFISCATED BY THIS BUREAU HERE IN THE UNITED STATES.

YOURS IN SERVICE,

AGENT JOHN EDWARD
REGIONAL DEPUTY-DIRECTOR
FEDERAL BUREAU OF INVESTIGATION
INTELLIGENCE FIELD UNIT
J. EDGAR HOOVER BUILDING
935 PENNSYLVANIA AVENUE,NW WASHINGTON,D.C.
20535-0001,USA.

sabotai 09-09-2011 02:08 PM

Quote:

OR YOU WILL BE ARRESTED, INTERROGATED AND PROSECUTED IN THE COURT OF LAW FOR MONEY LAUNDRY.

HAH!

DataKing 09-09-2011 02:13 PM

Awesome.

Pumpy Tudors 09-09-2011 02:38 PM

When people unfriend me on Facebook without warning, I basically treat it as if the person now has to endure the rest of their lives without genitals and with severe leg cramps. Now that they no longer have genitals and have to suffer through leg cramps for the rest of their (hopefully long) lives, I am happy enough to throw a party.

This works out great except for the fact that my neighbors are pretty tired of me throwing so many parties.

sterlingice 09-09-2011 08:52 PM

Rizon, if we don't see you for three days, can we THERE FOR assume you have been ARRESTED, INTERROGATED AND PROSECUTED IN THE COURT OF LAW FOR MONEY LAUNDRY?

SI

MacroGuru 09-09-2011 09:17 PM

Teaching a marketing class tomorrow with an emphasis on the internet....I haven't taught for a while...fingers crossed...hopefully my students will participate.

sterlingice 09-10-2011 08:31 PM

What is up with men's pants these days. A couple of months ago, I wore out a couple of older pair of black khakis at work- holes in them that couldn't be repaired. It's now two or three months later and I've found a couple of ok pairs but nothing remotely comfortable like my old pants. It seems like tight legs are in and it's just frustrating. It's like I told the person ringing me up at Penney's last night- it'd be one thing if I had gotten fatter and my waist were suddenly an inch or two bigger. But I've been within 5 lbs of my current weight for the last 5+ years and my older pants still fit great so it's not that. It's something with the current style of pants.

Anyone know of some comfy relatively inexpensive khakis with more room in the legs?

SI