Front Office Football Central

Front Office Football Central (http://forums.operationsports.com/fofc//index.php)
-   Off Topic (http://forums.operationsports.com/fofc//forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   NFL 2019 Season Thread (http://forums.operationsports.com/fofc//showthread.php?t=95904)

stevew 09-13-2019 02:29 AM

I like Ron Rivera but they’ve lost 11 out of 12 games maybe? Seems like he might be the first coaching casualty this year unless they can bounce back soon and start playing Panther football.

RendeR 09-13-2019 03:21 AM

I think Rivera is done no matter where they end up. I don't think they'll continue putting up with doing just enough to lose every week.

PilotMan 09-13-2019 06:25 AM

Didn't watch any of the game last night, then read this, and if this is how it was, then.....ooooof, how long will the game last played like this?

hxxps://deadspin.com/interminable-mike-pereira-rules-monologue-interrupted-s-1838087173

albionmoonlight 09-13-2019 07:57 AM

Dolphins give Minkah Fitzpartick permission to seek a trade.

I don't get this move at all. If you are rebuilding, this is the exact sort of good young player that you keep so you can rebuild around him.

I mean, tanking for a draft pick is one thing. And getting value for older players who won't be round on the other side of the rebuild makes sense.

But this is a good young player. He's a piece they will have to replace as they rebuild. So why not just keep him?

BishopMVP 09-13-2019 12:07 PM

Empty cupboard!

Also, Cam & Rivera deserve their share of the criticism, but that OL & the LT in particular were brutal last night. It's not like Shaq Barrett is an elite edge rusher.

Lathum 09-15-2019 01:05 PM

Jesus the Giants are bad.

I don't ever remember a half of football where so many offensive players are open by 15 yards.

sabotai 09-15-2019 01:13 PM

At this rate, James Bettcher won't make it to the end of the season. The defense has been atrocious so far.

Thomkal 09-15-2019 01:57 PM

I'm becoming more of a believer of the Cards offense today...

Lathum 09-15-2019 03:02 PM

Brady still in the game up 37 with 5 minutes left and throwing the ball downfield. BB is a savage

bhlloy 09-15-2019 03:06 PM

Cousins is such a below average QB. That contract is an absolute abomination.

QuikSand 09-15-2019 03:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thomkal (Post 3250306)
I'm becoming more of a believer of the Cards offense today...

And I’m becoming more of a believer of the Ravens offense today. It’s intriguing, they are willing to use most anyone in most any situation...burner WR on quick curls, TEs on deep outs, all RBs catching passes or between the tackles. It’s sorta like the Dutch “complete football” concept. With this QB, could be awfully tough to defend.

Atocep 09-15-2019 03:44 PM

Well we already have a contender for worst unnecessary roughness call of the year. Leonard Floyd throws a running back to the ground in the backfield and gets flagged.

BishopMVP 09-15-2019 04:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lathum (Post 3250307)
Brady still in the game up 37 with 5 minutes left and throwing the ball downfield. BB is a savage

Gotta get Brady and the new WR's some reps in the preseason :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by QuikSand (Post 3250310)
And I’m becoming more of a believer of the Ravens offense today. It’s intriguing, they are willing to use most anyone in most any situation...burner WR on quick curls, TEs on deep outs, all RBs catching passes or between the tackles. It’s sorta like the Dutch “complete football” concept. With this QB, could be awfully tough to defend.

I'm not claiming I knew he'd be this good, but I always thought Jackson could throw accurately enough in college, even if he didn't have the rocket arm where he can drive the ball into tight pockets. As much as people want to yell at analysts it was honestly weirder that the Ravens forced him to run that shell of an offense last year.

Thomkal 09-15-2019 04:10 PM

I have to think Josh Rosen is wondering what he did to piss off God.

tucker rocky 09-15-2019 04:20 PM

bhlloy 09-15-2019 04:31 PM

Walt Anderson just absolutely fucked the Saints again. Whatever happened to letting it play itself out and sorting it out on replay?

The standard of refereeing in the NFL just continues to go into the toilet. Every week more and more marginal flags impacting the game in negative ways.

Atocep 09-15-2019 04:41 PM

This is what Leonard Floyd was flagged for.

NobodyHere 09-15-2019 04:47 PM

There's speculation that Adam Vinatieri might be retiring tomorrow after a dismal start to the season.

Adam Vinatieri vows “You’ll hear from me tomorrow” after more struggles in Week 2 - Stampede Blue

albionmoonlight 09-15-2019 04:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bhlloy (Post 3250316)
Walt Anderson just absolutely fucked the Saints again. Whatever happened to letting it play itself out and sorting it out on replay?

The standard of refereeing in the NFL just continues to go into the toilet. Every week more and more marginal flags impacting the game in negative ways.

I’m not a conspiracy guy. But Saints/Rams brings me close to the edge.

miami_fan 09-15-2019 05:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NobodyHere (Post 3250318)
There's speculation that Adam Vinatieri might be retiring tomorrow after a dismal start to the season.

Adam Vinatieri vows “You’ll hear from me tomorrow” after more struggles in Week 2 - Stampede Blue

He better not quit on the team!

bhlloy 09-15-2019 05:26 PM

Anybody want to tell the Raiders secondary that Mahomes can throw more than 25 yards downfield? Holy crap.

EagleFan 09-15-2019 06:25 PM

Refs f'd up that offside. Shouldn't have been at the 1. The Broncos had the first 5 yard penalty.

Butter 09-15-2019 06:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EagleFan (Post 3250328)
Refs f'd up that offside. Shouldn't have been at the 1. The Broncos had the first 5 yard penalty.

Was just coming here for this. How does a false start + offside = the ball gets closer to the end zone for the try? That makes no sense

Atocep 09-15-2019 06:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Butter (Post 3250329)
Was just coming here for this. How does a false start + offside = the ball gets closer to the end zone for the try? That makes no sense

That's the discussion I'm having on discord with a friend. How was that call and how did no one of the bears staff notice it?

Butter 09-15-2019 06:33 PM

Bears win anyway. Make up call to put one second on the clock.

albionmoonlight 09-15-2019 06:38 PM

The only upside to the NFL once again making me feel like an idiot for investing my time & passion into being a fan is it frees up tonight for me :-). Because there’s certainly no way that watching Sunday night football makes any sense at this point.

albionmoonlight 09-15-2019 07:14 PM

That said, things do seem to be moving toward some sort of a head. I don’t see any change this season, but I could see some pretty radical changes this offseason—firing the people at the top, instituting a new training program, and moving to full time officials.

Unlike the CTE crisis, there are ways for the NFL to fix this without fundamentally changing the game.

jbergey22 09-15-2019 07:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bhlloy (Post 3250309)

Yeah, hes a shitshow. Everything was going in his favor in the 2nd half and he blew it.

Although that interception in the back of the end zone at the very least needed to be reviewed. If that was a WR I think it would have been reversed. Of course in Green Bay, they wont even review that yet will call offensive interference off of a review against the Vikings(very questionable considering I think that is the first time they have called any type of interference off of a review). It always feels like the refs screw the Vikings playing in Green Bay. I can watch 10 college games on any given Saturday and feel the refs do a fine job and the majority of the time in the NFL I feel the refs are deciding games. Rant over!

albionmoonlight 09-15-2019 07:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lathum (Post 3250307)

I’m all for every team making the Dolphins pay for openly tanking.

Make it so painful that teams are reluctant to do it going forward.

Jstraub 09-15-2019 07:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jbergey22 (Post 3250335)
Yeah, hes a shitshow. Everything was going in his favor in the 2nd half and he blew it.

Although that interception in the back of the end zone at the very least needed to be reviewed. If that was a WR I think it would have been reversed. Of course in Green Bay, they wont even review that yet will call offensive interference off of a review against the Vikings(very questionable considering I think that is the first time they have called any type of interference off of a review). It always feels like the refs screw the Vikings playing in Green Bay. I can watch 10 college games on any given Saturday and feel the refs do a fine job and the majority of the time in the NFL I feel the refs are deciding games. Rant over!

whine, whine, whine. Its the mantra of the losing teams' fans in the NFL these days and the NO game last year really opened the floodgates. Maybe if your teams fans whine enough they will make a special rule for you (a ala New Orleans Saints)

The vikings had 3 quarters to score > 21 points and beat the packers today. They didn't but apparently "... the refs are deciding games".

The saints got handled by the rams today and that missed fumble would have done nothing to change that but I'm sure ""... the refs are deciding games".

Look it sucks when your team loses, especially in a close game, but the NFL is now catering to the fans with every change to the replay system. Thats dangerous IMO. Where is it written that all wrongs must be righted? Life doesn't work that way, why should football?

And yeah, maybe college football doesn't have as many noticeable officiating gaffes but most of those games are decided by the middle of the second quarter. Who cares if Arkansas State got a terrible spot on 4 and 1. They lost 55 -0 to Georgia (i.e., nobodies watching and if they are they dont care). At least most NFL games are competitive into the 4th quarter.

If you dont like it, stop watching. Ironically, that action will have the greatest impact on games.

Atocep 09-15-2019 08:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by albionmoonlight (Post 3250332)
The only upside to the NFL once again making me feel like an idiot for investing my time & passion into being a fan is it frees up tonight for me :-). Because there’s certainly no way that watching Sunday night football makes any sense at this point.

I saw 3 personal fouls that have no place being called (Floyd, Goldman, Chubb) in the Bears/Broncos game. They called holding on Garrett Brolles 4 times and could have called it another half dozen. Missing a holding call though doesn't seem to impact the overall enjoyment of the game anywhere near as much as seeing terrible personal foul calls. The personal foul calls tend be to be game changers and it's frustrating to see what should clearly legal hits flagged.

Ryche 09-15-2019 08:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bhlloy (Post 3250309)

At least it's only through next season. He lost that game, plain and simple. No game winning drives since 2017 with that defense and receiver pair is pathetic.

Lathum 09-15-2019 08:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by albionmoonlight (Post 3250336)
I’m all for every team making the Dolphins pay for openly tanking.

Make it so painful that teams are reluctant to do it going forward.

Me too.

I have them at 30-1 to not win a game. After todays shitshow it dropped to 3-1.

jbergey22 09-15-2019 09:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jstraub (Post 3250338)
Where is it written that all wrongs must be righted?

The entire point. The refs selectively chose what to review. Ive hated replay since it first came out. They arent fixing wrongs. They are selectively choosing when to fix wrongs.

jbergey22 09-15-2019 09:22 PM

The Eagles are down 3 wide receivers and a TE this game. Going to make it tough to comeback.

sabotai 09-15-2019 09:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jbergey22 (Post 3250346)
The Eagles are down 3 wide receivers and a TE this game. Going to make it tough to comeback.

Matt Ryan is making it a lot easier, though.

CU Tiger 09-15-2019 09:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jbergey22 (Post 3250345)
The entire point. The refs selectively chose what to review. Ive hated replay since it first came out. They arent fixing wrongs. They are selectively choosing when to fix wrongs.

I've been in the sauce.
So my memory isn't supporting me.

But who was it whomsaisdd " the essence of tyranny isnt iron fist rule of law it's capricious law"
Applies here as well

jbergey22 09-15-2019 10:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CU Tiger (Post 3250348)
I've been in the sauce.
So my memory isn't supporting me.

But who was it whomsaisdd " the essence of tyranny isnt iron fist rule of law it's capricious law"
Applies here as well

Nice comparison, I think you nailed it. Christopher Hitchens

larrymcg421 09-15-2019 10:22 PM

Tanking is unethical and the people who advocate that strategy are not true fans of the sport or their own team.

EagleFan 09-15-2019 10:22 PM

Bit of a block in the back on that Falcons' touchdown.

EagleFan 09-15-2019 10:23 PM

dola: and not an insignificant one, the key block.

EagleFan 09-15-2019 10:26 PM

Ugh, two bad drops.

EagleFan 09-15-2019 10:27 PM

Now Ertz hurt...

EagleFan 09-15-2019 10:30 PM

Now Peters... what is going on today.

BishopMVP 09-16-2019 12:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Atocep (Post 3250317)
This is what Leonard Floyd was flagged for.

Welp, refs made up for it for it with the call on Bradley Chubb on the game winning drive.
Quote:

Originally Posted by larrymcg421 (Post 3250352)
Tanking is unethical and the people who advocate that strategy are not true fans of the sport or their own team.

I could care less about unethical if it's the NBA, or maybe even Week 16/17 where you basically toss a game so you get pick #3 instead of #8. It's just dumb in the NFL for a season, especially when there isn't some generational QB prospect sitting there.

PilotMan 09-16-2019 06:01 AM

Football is more broken than ever. It's been 2 weeks of real games and I've watched maybe 6 snaps. Game changing penalties for playing the game, reviewing and awarding marginal pass interference calls has just broken it. I get why they are doing it, but....it's not good.

albionmoonlight 09-16-2019 09:17 AM

My Week 2 way too early assessment of the league:

NFC Playoff teams: Rams, 49ers, Packers, Falcons, Cowboys, Eagles.

AFC Playoff teams: Pats, Bills, Colts, Texans, Chiefs, Ravens.

Pats will not go 16-0 (but it will be close)
Dolphins will go 0-16 (full blown team mutiny)

I'm weirdly confident about that AFC prediction. The NFC less so because the Bears or Vikings or Seahawks could all sneak into that 6th spot.

Kodos 09-16-2019 09:27 AM

The Falcons game last night was very entertaining. Glad Atlanta pulled out the victory.

Kodos 09-16-2019 09:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NobodyHere (Post 3250318)

Maybe he can play for the Dolphins!

Kodos 09-16-2019 09:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by larrymcg421 (Post 3250352)

Fans should not go to Dolphins games. Hit ownership in the wallet.