Front Office Football Central

Front Office Football Central (http://forums.operationsports.com/fofc//index.php)
-   Off Topic (http://forums.operationsports.com/fofc//forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   FBI Opens Investigation into Shooting of Michael Brown (http://forums.operationsports.com/fofc//showthread.php?t=89117)

Dutch 09-17-2014 06:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Groundhog (Post 2961130)
Even after everything that's happened, I forget that this is a thing that exists in the USA. Yikes.

Utah is one of the safest states in the USA with regard to gun violence...so it's not really as scary as it sounds.

RainMaker 09-17-2014 06:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blackadar (Post 2960799)
Rainmaker, where did you see the criminal record? I can't find anything which substantiates your post above. I'm sure you have a good source, so please link it.

It's in most of the articles I've seen about the case. About halfway down on this one.

Prosecutors: Man lunged with sword before he was shot - CNN.com

I'm also not defending the police in this case. I just think people are too quick to jump on the bandwagon of whatever the cause du jour is. The autopsy results are coming from the family who had one commissioned themselves. It's not the official state one from what I understand. Almost everything that is coming out is coming from the family, not the police.

And while I understand the family is upset, I don't like the assertion that it was racism without any proof. There are aggressive cops who do stuff just because they are aggressive cops. There is no proof they singled out the black guy. That the cops had a history of racial issues. Now maybe they were racists and singled out the black guy in broad daylight to murder, or maybe they are just overly aggressive cops who would have shot anyone doing what that guy did.

I'd also add that running away is an odd action to take. Usually when a cop points a gun at you you put your hands up and drop your weapon. Even if their actions are wrong.

I guess I think people should wait a little bit before making a judgement on these particular cases. Lets see what the official autopsy finds, toxicology reports, his history, surveillance footage, etc before deciding that some white cops decided to spend their afternoon executing a black guy for no reason.

RainMaker 09-17-2014 06:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Groundhog (Post 2961130)
Even after everything that's happened, I forget that this is a thing that exists in the USA. Yikes.

It is kind of scary on the surface. But then you realize that the guys carrying guns legally are usually not the guys committing the illegal acts. At least here in Chicago that's the case.

I'd still be uncomfortable seeing a guy at Walmart with a rifle strapped to his body.

Groundhog 09-17-2014 06:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RainMaker (Post 2961137)
It is kind of scary on the surface. But then you realize that the guys carrying guns legally are usually not the guys committing the illegal acts. At least here in Chicago that's the case.

I'd still be uncomfortable seeing a guy at Walmart with a rifle strapped to his body.

It's not scary in that I think the guy is going to go on a rampage. It's the mindset that is scary - that someone either thinks they need to carry a semi-automatic rifle for safety, or that they just want to show off their big ass gun. Both are as scary as each other.

stevew 09-17-2014 06:56 PM

Only thing protecting you from a bad guy with a sword is a good guy with a sword.

Buccaneer 09-17-2014 07:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stevew (Post 2961142)
Only thing protecting you from a bad guy with a sword is a good guy with a sword.

Except one does not ever bring a sword to a gunfight.

Dutch 09-17-2014 07:24 PM

Quote:

This is an easy one. Ban Walmarts.

cuervo72 09-17-2014 07:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buccaneer (Post 2961144)
Except one does not ever bring a sword to a gunfight.

This is what is getting me. Unless he is absolutely nutty, he's not going to attack two cops armed with guns with a toy sword. Or even a real one. In the pic, he looks almost happy, not someone looking for a ninja battle.

So my question is, what happened between when that picture was taken and he was shot, and what actions on his part would lead to him not being shot? I'm assuming there was something, but it seems to me his options were considerably narrower than they should be.

cuervo72 09-17-2014 07:51 PM

Oh, and for the record - this nutbag in PA? In his case, I think I'm ok with shoot on sight.

Blackadar 09-25-2014 08:54 AM

I'll leave this right here:

@ShaunKing exposes Ferguson PD lie about distance from SUV (with images, tweets) · VeryWhiteGuy · Storify

Blackadar 09-25-2014 08:56 AM

Quote:

How prophetic (or maybe you were referring to this?)...yeah, someone was uncomfortable and look what happened.

The Wal-Mart Shooting in Beavercreek, OH (from Aug. 5) - Front Office Football Central

Buccaneer 09-27-2014 11:51 AM

Quote:

A 21-year-old man was arrested after he allegedly shot another man following an argument, Colorado Springs police said.

Zachary Ballenger got in a verbal disagreement with multiple pedestrians around 11:30 p.m. Friday night near 995 N. Circle Drive, witnesses told police. As he was driving away from them, he allegedly fired at the pedestrians with a handgun, hitting one of them. His gunshot wound was not life threatening, police said but they did not release details about the man's condition.

Officers pulled Ballenger over near Platte and Willamette avenues, where police said they had to use a stun gun on him because he was not obeying orders. Police did not say how many times Ballenger was hit with the stun gun.

Ballenger was arrested and taken to the El Paso County jail on suspicion of multiple felonies, police said.

He was held on $250,000 bond and also had a misdemeanor arrest warrant for failing to appear in court.

Ballenger was arrested on suspicion of misdemeanor criminal mischief in 2013 and pleaded guilty to the charges, records show.

Read more at Man arrested after shooting pedestrian in Colorado Springs

Perhaps in certain other police forces or with certain cops, Ballenger would have had six bullets in him?

BishopMVP 09-27-2014 10:52 PM

Police officer shot in Ferguson?

Edit - almost certainly unrelated to Brown/protests.

Blackadar 10-16-2014 07:41 AM

Milwaukee police fire officer who shot man in park - Yahoo News

This is specifically why I have a problem with police departments:

Quote:

Flynn said his decision was based on an internal affairs investigation. He sidestepped questions about whether Manney should face criminal charges. He said he found "errors of judgment, but no malice" in Manney's handling of the confrontation.

"There's got to be a way for us to hold ourselves accountable absent putting cops in jail for making mistakes," he said.

What the fuck? He shot a guy 13 times after instigating a fight with known mentally ill man and you think he shouldn't go to jail? If anything, cops should be more accountable than private citizens, not less accountable.

Quote:

The Milwaukee Police Association condemned the firing.

"The decision to terminate this officer is cowardice and certainly unfounded and unsupported by fact," President Mike Crivello said in a statement.

The thin blue line fucks the citizens of this country because bad cops - or cops who commit bad actions - are protected by the rest. I've often said that 4 out of 5 cops are generally pretty good people. But when they try to protect the guys who aren't, they all become bad cops by being complicit and enabling future incidents that harm the general public.

RainMaker 10-16-2014 09:18 AM

I don't understand why cops don't have to abide by the same laws we do. If they commit murder they should be charged with that. If they commit assault, they should be charged with that. This shouldn't be that difficult.

Mizzou B-ball fan 10-18-2014 08:26 AM

Article discussing the evidence and grand jury testimony surrounding the incident.....

The New York Times

Dutch 10-18-2014 08:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RainMaker (Post 2968545)
I don't understand why cops don't have to abide by the same laws we do. If they commit murder they should be charged with that. If they commit assault, they should be charged with that. This shouldn't be that difficult.

But they are charged when they commit murder.

Dutch 10-18-2014 08:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan (Post 2969188)
Article discussing the evidence and grand jury testimony surrounding the incident.....

The New York Times

Quote:

WASHINGTON — The police officer who fatally shot Michael Brown in Ferguson, Mo., two months ago has told investigators that he was pinned in his vehicle and in fear for his life as he struggled over his gun with Mr. Brown, according to government officials briefed on the federal civil rights investigation into the matter.

The officer, Darren Wilson, has told the authorities that during the scuffle, Mr. Brown reached for the gun. It was fired twice in the car, according to forensics tests performed by the Federal Bureau of Investigation. The first bullet struck Mr. Brown in the arm; the second bullet missed.

The forensics tests showed Mr. Brown’s blood on the gun, as well as on the interior door panel and on Officer Wilson’s uniform. Officer Wilson told the authorities that Mr. Brown had punched and scratched him repeatedly, leaving swelling on his face and cuts on his neck.

If cops are going to fear for their lives every time somebody attacks them, maybe we shouldn't have cops.

Dutch 10-18-2014 09:17 AM

For those of you wanting more camera's mounted on police.

Quote:

At Seattle-based VIEVU, which has sold the cameras to more than 4,000 law enforcement agencies, CEO Steve Ward says requests for test units are up 70% since the Ferguson protests, and September was the highest sales month in the company's history. "We're doubling our sales force to keep up," Ward said.

The folks clamoring for this should be happy.

Quote:

The rush to outfit officers with cameras is to avoid controversies, such as the one surrounding Michael Brown's death in Ferguson, by documenting whether police acted in self-defense or overreacted.

Police have not yet come to grips with privacy questions that arise when cameras go into homes or record sensitive conversations.

Police agencies are implementing policies on the fly over when cameras must be turned on and off, how to store the videos and how to comply with public records laws.

Well that could cause other problems, I suppose.

Quote:

Stanley of the ACLU worries about the line between police releasing or restricting too many videos...

And then, of course, we have the ACLU who's primary mission is to be employed apparently. They are ready to pounce no matter what.

bob 10-18-2014 05:50 PM

Forensic tests have found the blood of Michael Brown on the gun, uniform and police cruiser belonging to Officer Darren Wilson, who fatally shot the unarmed teen two months ago in Ferguson, Missouri, The New York Times reported.

Michael Brown's blood found in officer's car, on gun - CNN.com

NobodyHere 10-18-2014 05:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dutch (Post 2969197)

And then, of course, we have the ACLU who's primary mission is to be employed apparently. They are ready to pounce no matter what.

I dunno, I think the ACLU piece is a interesting read

Police Body-Mounted Cameras: With Right Policies in Place, a Win For All | American Civil Liberties Union

ETA: The date on the article is last year, so well before the Michael Brown shooting.

Dutch 10-19-2014 09:31 AM

I think any policy for body cameras on govt officials would be a privacy nightmare. I understand the benefit, but I don't need cops rolling up to my house and looking in my windows with camera's rolling. Talk about a big brother nightmare. And what was the justification for that? Oh yeah....racism....no thanks.

jeff061 10-19-2014 09:34 AM

Really?

Dutch 10-19-2014 11:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeff061 (Post 2969385)
Really?

Absolutely.

RainMaker 10-19-2014 11:59 AM

It's really not about racism. It's about accountability. Something police officers lack in this country. From what I've read about the cameras, it forces cops to be nicer to the public as well because they are on camera. And it'll reduce bogus police brutality complaints by people looking to sue for a quick buck. I think it's a win-win.

The big issue will be cost.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dutch (Post 2969192)
But they are charged when they commit murder.

Cops are rarely charged with crimes and rarely terminated.

Dutch 10-19-2014 12:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RainMaker (Post 2969408)
It's really not about racism. It's about accountability. Something police officers lack in this country. From what I've read about the cameras, it forces cops to be nicer to the public as well because they are on camera. And it'll reduce bogus police brutality complaints by people looking to sue for a quick buck. I think it's a win-win.

The big issue will be cost.

Cops are rarely charged with crimes and rarely terminated.

Fair.

Counter point though, we really need to consider the long-term ramifications. Technology is going to be amazing pretty soon and asking state police to (one-day) have real-time feeds of citizens movements seems pretty scary to me...and it's got the potential to be more harmful than good.

cuervo72 10-19-2014 03:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dutch (Post 2969384)
I think any policy for body cameras on govt officials would be a privacy nightmare. I understand the benefit, but I don't need cops rolling up to my house and looking in my windows with camera's rolling. Talk about a big brother nightmare. And what was the justification for that? Oh yeah....racism....no thanks.

I think homeowners who wind up beaten up, raped, or shot would be fine with the cameras.

Dutch 10-19-2014 08:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cuervo72 (Post 2969459)
I think homeowners who wind up beaten up, raped, or shot would be fine with the cameras.

I agree.

yeah826 10-19-2014 08:43 PM

Apparently Michael Brown actually paid for the cigars and the Ferguson police release the tape to make it seem like he was robbing the place. Also it's been found out that the police didn't even go looking for the tape until Michael Brown had been killed.

Ferguson Cops Busted? New Video Seems to Show Brown Paying for Cigarillos (Video) | Americans Against the Tea Party

cuervo72 10-19-2014 08:48 PM

Wondering - is Fox News (or any other media outlet) saying much about the thugs* up in Keene?

* that is to say, white college students and out-of-towners tipping over cars, throwing bottles, setting fires, threatening police, etc.

JPhillips 10-19-2014 09:38 PM

The culture of white violence is shocking. I'm waiting for white leaders to denounce it.

cuervo72 10-19-2014 09:43 PM

It's no wonder whites stay poor - they have no respect or regard for property.

RainMaker 10-20-2014 12:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yeah826 (Post 2969519)
Apparently Michael Brown actually paid for the cigars and the Ferguson police release the tape to make it seem like he was robbing the place. Also it's been found out that the police didn't even go looking for the tape until Michael Brown had been killed.

Ferguson Cops Busted? New Video Seems to Show Brown Paying for Cigarillos (Video) | Americans Against the Tea Party

That video doesn't show anything. And why would he shove the store clerk and why would the store clerk lie and say he was robbed?

Toddzilla 10-20-2014 07:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RainMaker (Post 2969562)
That video doesn't show anything. And why would he shove the store clerk and why would the store clerk lie and say he was robbed?

Why would the cop lie and say Michael Brown was rushign towards him when he shot him? People lie to save face.

gstelmack 10-20-2014 08:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cuervo72 (Post 2969524)
Wondering - is Fox News (or any other media outlet) saying much about the thugs* up in Keene?

* that is to say, white college students and out-of-towners tipping over cars, throwing bottles, setting fires, threatening police, etc.

It was all over Good Morning America yesterday.

Of course, the police response was also considered justified, rather than raked over the coals. Thugs got out of hand, police moved in with rubber bullets and tear gas, order was restored, and everyone moved on.

RainMaker 10-20-2014 04:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Toddzilla (Post 2969580)
Why would the cop lie and say Michael Brown was rushign towards him when he shot him? People lie to save face.

If the cop lied, it would be to save himself from going to jail. What is in this for the store clerk? Why would he say he was robber and why would he confront a shopper like that in the store who had just paid for an item?

Arles 10-22-2014 02:35 PM

Official autopsy was released:
Official autopsy shows Michael Brown had close-range wound to his hand, marijuana in system : News

Quote:

ST. LOUIS COUNTY • The official autopsy on Michael Brown shows that he was shot in the hand at close range, according to an analysis of the findings by two experts not involved directly in the case.

The accompanying toxicology report shows he had been using marijuana.

Those documents, prepared by the St. Louis County medical examiner and obtained by the Post-Dispatch, provide the most detailed description to date of the wounds Brown sustained in a confrontation Aug. 9 with Ferguson police Officer Darren Wilson.

A source with knowledge of Wilson’s statements said the officer had told investigators that Brown had struggled for Wilson’s pistol inside a police SUV and that Wilson had fired the gun twice, hitting Brown once in the hand. Later, Wilson fired additional shots that killed Brown and ignited a national controversy.

The St. Louis medical examiner, Dr. Michael Graham, who is not part of the official investigation, reviewed the autopsy report for the newspaper. He said Tuesday that it “does support that there was a significant altercation at the car.”

Graham said the examination indicated a shot traveled from the tip of Brown’s right thumb toward his wrist. The official report notes an absence of stippling, powder burns around a wound that indicate a shot fired at relatively short range.

But Graham said, “Sometimes when it’s really close, such as within an inch or so, there is no stipple, just smoke.”

The report on a supplemental microscopic exam of tissue from the thumb wound showed foreign matter “consistent with products that are discharged from the barrel of a firearm.”

Dr. Judy Melinek, a forensic pathologist in San Francisco, said the autopsy “supports the fact that this guy is reaching for the gun, if he has gunpowder particulate material in the wound.” She added, “If he has his hand near the gun when it goes off, he’s going for the officer’s gun.”

Sources told the Post-Dispatch that Brown’s blood had been found on Wilson’s gun.

Melinek also said the autopsy did not support witnesses who have claimed Brown was shot while running away from Wilson, or with his hands up.

She said Brown was facing Wilson when Brown took a shot to the forehead, two shots to the chest and a shot to the upper right arm. The wound to the top of Brown’s head would indicate he was falling forward or in a lunging position toward the shooter; the shot was instantly fatal.

A sixth shot that hit the forearm traveled from the back of the arm to the inner arm, which means Brown’s palms could not have been facing Wilson, as some witnesses have said, Melinek said. That trajectory shows Brown probably was not taking a standard surrender position with arms above the shoulders and palms out when he was hit, she said.

The county medical examiner, Dr. Mary Case, could not be reached. The assistant who performed the autopsy, Dr. Gershom Norfleet, relayed word that he would not comment.

That post mortem, conducted the morning after Brown’s death, comports in most ways with the findings of a private autopsy arranged by Brown’s family and made public Aug. 18.

In that one, Dr. Michael M. Baden, a nationally known forensic pathologist, said none of Brown’s wounds appeared to have been from shots fired at close range.

Baden noted then that there was no gunshot residue on the body, so it appeared to him that the muzzle of the weapon was at least one or two feet away. He said, “It could have been 30 feet away.”

A third autopsy was ordered by federal officials as part of their separate investigation of the shooting. Results of that one have not been revealed.

The county and private autopsies agree on the number and location of the wounds.

The official autopsy also confirmed that tissue from Brown was found on the exterior of the driver’s side of Wilson’s vehicle.

“Someone got an injury that tore off skin and left it on the car,” Graham said. “That fits with everything else that came out. There’s blood in the car, now skin on the car, that shows something happened right there.”

The toxicology test, performed by a St. Louis University laboratory, revealed tetrahydrocannabinol, THC for short, in Brown’s blood and urine.

Alfred Staubus, a consultant in forensic toxicology at the Ohio State University College of Pharmacy, said that THC could impair judgment or slow reaction times but that there was no reliable measurement to make those conclusions.

States that have legalized marijuana have struggled with the issue of how to measure impairment.

“The detection of THC in the postmortem blood of Michael Brown really indicates his recent use of marijuana (within a few hours) and that he may or may not have been impaired at the time of his death,” Staubus wrote in an email.

cartman 10-22-2014 03:09 PM

I don't see how they can say that because a shot was fired inside the car, it proves he was reaching for the gun. All it proves is that he was very close to the gun when the shot was fired.

Coffee Warlord 10-22-2014 03:21 PM

They didn't say that. They said there's "gunpowder particulate matter" in a thumb wound, which is consistent with someone reaching for the gun when it goes off.

Coffee Warlord 10-22-2014 03:23 PM

Jesus, how many fucking autopsies can you do on a body?

cartman 10-22-2014 03:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Coffee Warlord (Post 2970079)
They didn't say that. They said there's "gunpowder particulate matter" in a thumb wound, which is consistent with someone reaching for the gun when it goes off.

FTA:

Quote:

Dr. Judy Melinek, a forensic pathologist in San Francisco, said the autopsy “supports the fact that this guy is reaching for the gun, if he has gunpowder particulate material in the wound.” She added, “If he has his hand near the gun when it goes off, he’s going for the officer’s gun.”

Arles 10-22-2014 03:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Coffee Warlord (Post 2970080)
Jesus, how many fucking autopsies can you do on a body?

I agree. This is getting a little crazy. Three autopsies seems over the top. The problem is with the agendas with each camp (defense, city, feds) - who knows what conclusions are correct. The first from the defense said there was no way a shot could have been fired from up close, the second said it was nearly guaranteed to have happened.

I just hope there is closure at some point, but it seems like that is very unlikely. The pro Brown camp will think anything is rigged that shows the officer didn't gun him down in cold blood and the pro Wilson camp will try to throw everything out that doesn't go with the idea of a struggle that results in self defense. I feel bad for the residents of Ferguson and even St. Louis at this point.

BishopMVP 10-22-2014 04:09 PM

My question is still the same - did the officer initiate the confrontation (almost certainly yes), why, and how did he act at the beginning of the confrontation (everything points to over the top aggressive, but those witnesses haven't proved to be the most reliable).

I'm pretty much on board the "Brown deserved to get shot and arrested once he reached into the car" side, and I'm not sure I could hold Wilson criminally liable for anything after that given the adrenaline, but I'm still guessing the guy was a jackass about the confrontation and shouldn't have a badge and authority.

Logan 10-27-2014 05:02 PM

FWIW:

Expert: My Michael Brown Autopsy Analysis Was Taken 'Out Of Context'

cuervo72 11-02-2014 09:05 PM

AP Exclusive: Ferguson no-fly zone aimed at media

Quote:

WASHINGTON (AP) — The U.S. government agreed to a police request to restrict more than 37 square miles of airspace surrounding Ferguson, Missouri, for 12 days in August for safety, but audio recordings show that local authorities privately acknowledged the purpose was to keep away news helicopters during violent street protests.

Quote:

At another point, a manager at the FAA's Kansas City center said police "did not care if you ran commercial traffic through this TFR (temporary flight restriction) all day long. They didn't want media in there."

This is my shocked face. :|

Solecismic 11-07-2014 05:07 PM

So, it sounds like we're about to hear that the grand jury won't indict Wilson, possibly over this weekend so as to keep traffic to a minimum and to take advantage of the polar vortex blowing its way through the upper Midwest. And it also sounds like the feds won't make any civil rights charges.

At least that's what the media is reporting right now.

It also sounds like the protesters feel very strongly that people will come into the area from all over the country and riot. And violence is possible elsewhere - Atlanta is preparing.

Violence aside, and I assume nobody here wants to go to St. Louis and hurt innocent people there, if the rumors are true, can we accept the concept that Wilson may have reacted in a manner consistent with his training?

Now, this is not a judgment on whether Wilson initiated the situation - we can assume he confronted Brown in some manner, and I don't think we'll ever know if he said something or did something to provoke Brown unfairly.

But do we have confidence that with both a grand jury and the federal civil rights division declining to prosecute (if, indeed, these rumors are true), that the evidence and a good number of witness accounts support Wilson's story?

If so, since they played a big role in the initial media furor, should our president and attorney general hold a press conference this weekend endorsing the decision and urging peace?

I don't know myself. Like many, I grew up with the impression that police were bad-ass and if you made the wrong choices, they'd beat the crap out of you. And we accepted that because we grew up in a culture where these choices were hard to make and our parents didn't feel that they could be singled out if they didn't do anything wrong.

But many African-Americans have a very different perspective because there are quite a few police out there who act in a racist manner. Not all, maybe not all that many. Certainly fewer today than 50 years ago. But enough that the perception is prevalent in many communities. In those communities, often faced with high crime rates, the people who serve and protect simply aren't trusted to do so in a fair manner. This becomes a cycle that makes conditions worse. I don't think we have any idea how much anger is out there because of this cycle. We're seeing this bubble over in Ferguson. I'm not sure this has ever been about Brown and Wilson personally. Either that, or the media has done a really good job creating a narrative.

What would you do if you lived in Ferguson? Would you want to protest the verdict? If you felt riots were going to ensue, would you hold off on protesting for your own safety, or would you essentially shield the rioters by asking that the police back off from your non-violent protest? What does protest mean to you? Can it be controlled and still be effective? If the president endorsed the lack of prosecution, would you still want to protest?

oykib 11-07-2014 05:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Solecismic (Post 2974566)
So, it sounds like we're about to hear that the grand jury won't indict Wilson, possibly over this weekend so as to keep traffic to a minimum and to take advantage of the polar vortex blowing its way through the upper Midwest. And it also sounds like the feds won't make any civil rights charges.

At least that's what the media is reporting right now.

It also sounds like the protesters feel very strongly that people will come into the area from all over the country and riot. And violence is possible elsewhere - Atlanta is preparing.

Violence aside, and I assume nobody here wants to go to St. Louis and hurt innocent people there, if the rumors are true, can we accept the concept that Wilson may have reacted in a manner consistent with his training?

Now, this is not a judgment on whether Wilson initiated the situation - we can assume he confronted Brown in some manner, and I don't think we'll ever know if he said something or did something to provoke Brown unfairly.

But do we have confidence that with both a grand jury and the federal civil rights division declining to prosecute (if, indeed, these rumors are true), that the evidence and a good number of witness accounts support Wilson's story?

If so, since they played a big role in the initial media furor, should our president and attorney general hold a press conference this weekend endorsing the decision and urging peace?

I don't know myself. Like many, I grew up with the impression that police were bad-ass and if you made the wrong choices, they'd beat the crap out of you. And we accepted that because we grew up in a culture where these choices were hard to make and our parents didn't feel that they could be singled out if they didn't do anything wrong.

But many African-Americans have a very different perspective because there are quite a few police out there who act in a racist manner. Not all, maybe not all that many. Certainly fewer today than 50 years ago. But enough that the perception is prevalent in many communities. In those communities, often faced with high crime rates, the people who serve and protect simply aren't trusted to do so in a fair manner. This becomes a cycle that makes conditions worse. I don't think we have any idea how much anger is out there because of this cycle. We're seeing this bubble over in Ferguson. I'm not sure this has ever been about Brown and Wilson personally. Either that, or the media has done a really good job creating a narrative.

What would you do if you lived in Ferguson? Would you want to protest the verdict? If you felt riots were going to ensue, would you hold off on protesting for your own safety, or would you essentially shield the rioters by asking that the police back off from your non-violent protest? What does protest mean to you? Can it be controlled and still be effective? If the president endorsed the lack of prosecution, would you still want to protest?

I think there's no way the Ferguson folks won't recognize the screw-job they've gotten. That'll blow up now or in some future incident. The number of crooked things the local authorities got away with here is ridiculous. At the very least, there should be a number of obstruction charges for all the clearly intentional instances of failing to file reports and to proceed in an efficient manner with the investigation.

If none of the people empowered to investigate does so in a timely fashion, there's no way that a suspect/defendant with resources at his disposal is going to fail get off.

SackAttack 11-07-2014 05:44 PM

Quote:

Nope.

A federal civil rights case has a higher burden of proof than the state-level charges would. The feds would have to prove that Wilson intended to violate Brown's civil rights. That's...hard.

The grand jury declining to prosecute is...you've got racial tensions in the area anyway. Black protestors convinced that this is another case of whites doing harm to their community and getting away with it, and whites rallying around Wilson because they think he's the real victim in all of this.

You've got a grand jury of 9 whites and 3 blacks contemplating these charges. If they decline to charge him, that could mean that the evidence doesn't support the charges. It could also mean shenanigans.

The federal Justice Department is also investigating, separate from the grand jury and Civil Rights Division. If all three groups decline to indict/prosecute, then it's probably fair to say that either there isn't enough evidence one way or the other, or that the evidence supports Wilson.

But given the reported history of police activity in Ferguson, the way the racial battle lines have been drawn between 'us' and 'them' by both groups, and the high standard for civil rights charges, I don't think the grand jury declining to indict or the CRD declining to prosecute are necessarily strong indicators of innocence.

JonInMiddleGA 11-07-2014 10:59 PM

The most suspect outfit for "shenanigans" would be the current administration & the Justice Department.

If they can't conjure up something to charge a white officer with then there's simply zero there to be charged for.

Dutch 11-08-2014 06:28 AM

Quote:

A federal civil rights case has a higher burden of proof than the state-level charges would. The feds would have to prove that Wilson intended to violate Brown's civil rights. That's...hard.

Whew, it's a good thing we don't all have to live by those rigid standards.

Meanwhile...

Fuck evidence, burn Wilson at the stake.

SackAttack 11-08-2014 04:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dutch (Post 2974670)
Whew, it's a good thing we don't all have to live by those rigid standards.

Meanwhile...

Fuck evidence, burn Wilson at the stake.

The point is, he can be guilty of a crime and still not be guilty of something the Civil Rights Division can prosecute.

The standards for a conviction there are that you have to be able to prove not just that he committed a particular act, but that he intended for the action to have the outcome it had, with the specific intent of violating his civil rights.

As for the Justice Department, Jon, they can trump up whatever they want. But here's the thing: why would they? To pacify the protestors? Okay. Let's run with that.

If they don't charge him, the protestors riot. If they charge him but they can't make the charges stick...any guesses what happens? There is no reason for the feds to go after him unless they're sure they can get SOMETHING to stick. Those are the outcomes. Don't file charges, deal with riots. File charges, justified or otherwise, and get a conviction? Pacification achieved. File charges and lose? Spend money prosecuting a loser case AND deal with riots.

There is literally no good reason for them to prosecute Wilson unless either they think the evidence supports the charges, or they have confidence in their ability to railroad him to a jury's satisfaction.

JPhillips 11-08-2014 05:05 PM

You're missing the obvious. The DoJ is out to get whitey, ergo they'll trump up charges against any white guy whenever possible.

SackAttack 11-08-2014 05:25 PM

Yeah, I completely forgot all those bankers DoJ railroaded after the bailouts.

JonInMiddleGA 11-08-2014 06:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SackAttack (Post 2974726)
But here's the thing: why would they? To pacify the protestors?

With apologies to Ms. Trainor ... You know it's all about that base, about that base.

SackAttack 11-08-2014 07:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA (Post 2974744)
With apologies to Ms. Trainor ... You know it's all about that base, about that base.

My point is that it only pacifies them if it WORKS. If they don't get the conviction, it's not like "that base" is going to shrug their shoulders and say "they tried."

So if they aren't confident they can make charges stick, what's the point?

tarcone 11-08-2014 08:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SackAttack (Post 2974736)
Yeah, I completely forgot all those bankers DoJ railroaded after the bailouts.

Not the RICH whiteys. Get it straight.

JonInMiddleGA 11-08-2014 08:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SackAttack (Post 2974763)
My point is that it only pacifies them if it WORKS. If they don't get the conviction, it's not like "that base" is going to shrug their shoulders and say "they tried."

So if they aren't confident they can make charges stick, what's the point?

Depends upon how long you can drag things out.

And I think you're overestimating that base tbh (and it's more than just a single-race base I'm referring to). If the prosecution fails then it's easy to blame whitey/ the man / juries / anything & everything you can fling at the wall.

PilotMan 11-08-2014 08:44 PM

Quote:

The policing policies and procedures aren't fair from community to community. The strategies in play in African American communities aren't similar at all to what you get in the white suburbs.

I've never been ticketed for standing on the sidewalk talking to friends. I've never been arrested because I "fit the description." I've never been pulled over time after time because I looked suspicious by driving too nice a car in a white neighborhood.

Strategies that treat everyone like criminals and force them to prove their innocence may help to get petty criminals off the street in poor neighborhoods, but they are heavy handed, violate civil liberties and don't do a damn thing for criminals in predominantly white, more well off neighborhoods.

You can't foster a feeling of serve and protect if you are working against the community. It's not about individual officers acting in a racist manner it's the prescribed manner in which the departments themselves go about the business of law enforcement.

panerd 11-14-2014 07:13 AM

Passed a convoy of at least 7 Homeland Security SUVs on the way to work this morning. Of course there is plenty of things this could be and I'm not even sure how they would be involved but Friday would seem like a day they would announce an inditement. On the other hand it just be some middle eastern guys door getting kicked in.

JPhillips 11-14-2014 08:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by panerd (Post 2976136)
Passed a convoy of at least 7 Homeland Security SUVs on the way to work this morning. Of course there is plenty of things this could be and I'm not even sure how they would be involved but Friday would seem like a day they would announce an inditement. On the other hand it just be some middle eastern guys door getting kicked in.

Hiding the ebola dead?

Toddzilla 11-14-2014 08:17 AM

This may have been pointed out before but I just realized that peaceful protesters - the peaceful ones, not the jackasses - have spent more time in jail than the cop that straight up murdered a dude.

BillJasper 11-14-2014 08:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PilotMan (Post 2974778)
The policing policies and procedures aren't fair from community to community. The strategies in play in African American communities aren't similar at all to what you get in the white suburbs.

I've never been ticketed for standing on the sidewalk talking to friends. I've never been arrested because I "fit the description." I've never been pulled over time after time because I looked suspicious by driving too nice a car in a white neighborhood.

Strategies that treat everyone like criminals and force them to prove their innocence may help to get petty criminals off the street in poor neighborhoods, but they are heavy handed, violate civil liberties and don't do a damn thing for criminals in predominantly white, more well off neighborhoods.

You can't foster a feeling of serve and protect if you are working against the community. It's not about individual officers acting in a racist manner it's the prescribed manner in which the departments themselves go about the business of law enforcement.

+1

Mizzou B-ball fan 11-14-2014 08:42 AM

It's November in Ferguson, and they've already started twice-a-day practices. I'm sure there's a union grievance to be filed here somewhere.

Organizers have a non-violent vision, hold training for potential Ferguson protesters : News

RainMaker 11-14-2014 08:53 AM

They should wait till it gets colder. Take a cue from the Occupy protesters. Once the temperature drops, everyone goes home.

Thomkal 11-17-2014 10:20 AM

Anonymous goes after KKK after they announce they are going after Ferguson protestors with lethal force and downplaying any attempt by Anonymous to take over their twitter feed:

Anonymous seizes Ku Klux Klan Twitter account over Ferguson threats | ZDNet

Mizzou B-ball fan 11-17-2014 02:20 PM

Unbelievable.

#Ferguson Protest Group Releases List of Targets, Including: Anheuser Busch, Boeing, Emerson Electric, Airport | The Gateway Pundit

NobodyHere 11-17-2014 03:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thomkal (Post 2976923)
Anonymous goes after KKK after they announce they are going after Ferguson protestors with lethal force and downplaying any attempt by Anonymous to take over their twitter feed:

Anonymous seizes Ku Klux Klan Twitter account over Ferguson threats | ZDNet

I wonder if Twitter will take steps to beef up security,

assuming this wasn't entirely social engineering.

NobodyHere 11-17-2014 03:48 PM

Eh, believable.

It was like the protesting at the Ram's game. Many of the protesters are determined to disrupt other peoples' lives until action is taken to fix their grievances. Plus with any protest groups you're going to people who want to give shout outs to their own causes.

I wonder how many of them actually voted this election.

tarcone 11-17-2014 03:57 PM

This is the inside info I got. The announcement is going to come on the Sunday after Thanksgiving. The city of Clayton will be shut down the week following the announcement. Firefighters in the area have been issued flak jackets.

Buccaneer 11-17-2014 03:59 PM

The busiest airport travel day of the year?

panerd 11-17-2014 07:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tarcone (Post 2977079)
This is the inside info I got. The announcement is going to come on the Sunday after Thanksgiving. The city of Clayton will be shut down the week following the announcement. Firefighters in the area have been issued flak jackets.

Clayton? Why? So what happens to people who have court cases pending? Seems unlikely.

NobodyHere 11-17-2014 07:49 PM

Well the Misery...er Missouri governor has declared a state of emergency so that probably means we'll be hearing from the grand jury fairly soon.

RainMaker 11-17-2014 08:18 PM

These are the same people who will complain there are no jobs and no businesses in their community.

JPhillips 11-17-2014 09:06 PM

Unbelievable that you'd trust a guy that's been proven to have lied about other "facts" regarding this case. Hoft is about the least trustworthy guy available.

JonInMiddleGA 11-17-2014 09:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by panerd (Post 2977136)
Clayton? Why?

Presumably this snippet from AP today explains that

Quote:

Several dozen demonstrators took to the streets on Monday in Clayton, Missouri, where a grand jury is meeting.

sterlingice 11-17-2014 09:10 PM

The list looks like a cross of all the major tourist attractions, businesses, and politicians in the city.

SI

JPhillips 11-17-2014 09:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sterlingice (Post 2977183)
The list looks like a cross of all the major tourist attractions, businesses, and politicians in the city.

SI

The map looks like some sort of filters have been applied. It's just a Google map.

cuervo72 11-23-2014 11:11 PM

Sad.

12-year-old killed in officer-involved shooting at Cleveland rec - 19 Action News|Cleveland, OH|News, Weather, Sports

NobodyHere 11-24-2014 02:32 PM

Well the Grand Jury has reached a verdict, result to be announced later today.

Grand jury reaches decision in case of Ferguson officer

nol 11-24-2014 02:56 PM

Police: Woman allegedly kills herself with gun bought to prepare for Ferguson unrest

NobodyHere 11-24-2014 02:58 PM

How ironic!

bhlloy 11-24-2014 03:09 PM

That's either a Darwin award winner or one hell of a brilliant cover up for murder

Ben E Lou 11-24-2014 03:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NobodyHere (Post 2978938)
Well the Grand Jury has reached a verdict, result to be announced later today.

Grand jury reaches decision in case of Ferguson officer

Smart move to wait until it's nearly dark to announce it.

Buccaneer 11-24-2014 03:54 PM

Probably should have waited until a snow or ice storm.

tarcone 11-24-2014 03:56 PM

Tonight. I think they wanted everyone at home. Lots of schools have canceled evening activities.

Solecismic 11-24-2014 04:06 PM

What we need is one of those government-type conspiracies out of Hollywood. Someone to play the role of Wilson, a fake trial, the whole nine yards. Too many moving parts, of course. But Wilson has become a symbol for decades of frustration and anger toward law enforcement. Whether Michael Brown attacked him and went for his gun has become completely irrelevant.

tarcone 11-24-2014 04:17 PM

Wag the Dog.

JonInMiddleGA 11-24-2014 04:22 PM

I have to think this points toward either an indictment of some sort OR one of the most poorly conceived timing plans ever.

Buccaneer 11-24-2014 04:33 PM

Or a mixed message verdict.

tarcone 11-24-2014 05:17 PM

8 pm CST is when it goes down.

tarcone 11-24-2014 06:55 PM

And the news is reporting on the news crews. Oh boy. I think my local Fox affiliate is not going to shopw Gotham tonight.

BillJasper 11-24-2014 07:18 PM

I don't understand why you'd release it after dark? Wouldn't it be easier to control the crowds in the daylight when you can see?

Lathum 11-24-2014 07:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillJasper (Post 2979049)
I don't understand why you'd release it after dark? Wouldn't it be easier to control the crowds in the daylight when you can see?

In he gets off they are gonna riot no matter what time of day. At least at night most innocent people will be off the street and not at work, doing errands, kids in school, etc

BillJasper 11-24-2014 07:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lathum (Post 2979054)
In he gets off they are gonna riot no matter what time of day. At least at night most innocent people will be off the street and not at work, doing errands, kids in school, etc

I guess I can see that.

Lathum 11-24-2014 08:08 PM

ugh, just saw a guy in the crowd holding a 4-5 year old kid. What a moron.

cartman 11-24-2014 08:15 PM

USA Today is claiming they've been told by the Brown family attorney that no charges will be filed.

Lathum 11-24-2014 08:16 PM

here we go

Easy Mac 11-24-2014 08:19 PM

So are going to get to watch a riot live?

JonInMiddleGA 11-24-2014 08:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Easy Mac (Post 2979073)

Is West Virginia playing tonight?

;)

DaddyTorgo 11-24-2014 08:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Easy Mac (Post 2979073)

Pretty sure that's the hope of the networks.