Front Office Football Central

Front Office Football Central (http://forums.operationsports.com/fofc//index.php)
-   Off Topic (http://forums.operationsports.com/fofc//forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Game Specials/Discounts (http://forums.operationsports.com/fofc//showthread.php?t=72704)

JonInMiddleGA 01-30-2010 07:00 PM

FWIW, I've gotten more than $2 worth of entertainment just reading the various manuals & guides related to the game (which I wouldn't have read if I didn't own them)

As a newcomer to the series I have to say that it doesn't appear to be a game for the timid nor is it one that I think anyone is going to jump right in & sail merrily along through.

gstelmack 01-30-2010 07:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA (Post 2215355)
As a newcomer to the series I have to say that it doesn't appear to be a game for the timid nor is it one that I think anyone is going to jump right in & sail merrily along through.

Back in those days, "Casual Gamer" was an oxymoron ;)

stevew 01-30-2010 08:07 PM

Need to remember to pick up X COM when I get home. There's no minimum purchase thing with them, right. Like I don't have to spend 20 on "steam dollars"

Eaglesfan27 01-30-2010 08:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stevew (Post 2215381)
Need to remember to pick up X COM when I get home. There's no minimum purchase thing with them, right. Like I don't have to spend 20 on "steam dollars"

Nope, there is no minimum purchase. All purchases are made with exact money amounts.

JonInMiddleGA 01-30-2010 08:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gstelmack (Post 2215372)
Back in those days, "Casual Gamer" was an oxymoron ;)

True dat.

(Now I just hope the NFL doesn't sue me for using that word without permission)

mckerney 01-30-2010 08:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA (Post 2215355)
FWIW, I've gotten more than $2 worth of entertainment just reading the various manuals & guides related to the game (which I wouldn't have read if I didn't own them)

I just bought the X-COM pack. Now, could somebody please explain what the hell is going on? : gaming

Short run down of elements of X-COM in first two posts here.

gstelmack 01-30-2010 08:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by X-Com UFO Defense Readme.txt
Due to the game's size and complexity you may experience difficulties
while playing on a machine with only 2 MB of RAM.

Ahhh, those were the days...

Draft Dodger 02-01-2010 09:15 AM

I bought Tropico 3 this weekend on the Steam deal. Liking it, but good lord it really is EXACTLY like the original, with updated graphics.

CleBrownsfan 02-01-2010 09:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Draft Dodger (Post 2216027)
I bought Tropico 3 this weekend on the Steam deal. Liking it, but good lord it really is EXACTLY like the original, with updated graphics.

I bought it over the weekend and I think I'm just done with sim builders like this. It just felt very stale - IMO of course.

JPhillips 02-01-2010 09:43 AM

I enjoyed it, but it seems like if you make it past t first five years or so it's very simple after that.

DaddyTorgo 02-01-2010 09:44 AM

beat Call of Duty - World at War last night. Now on to Modern Warfare!!!

cschex 02-01-2010 09:49 AM

Oooh, I never played anything beyond the original X-Com. For two bucks thats a great deal.

Question: I've never used Steam before, so I'll have to DL it. Are the games portable from one computer to another after you have bought them? I might be getting a new laptop in the next couple of months and just want to make sure I can still access the games on that.

JPhillips 02-01-2010 09:56 AM

Yes, you'll need to download the games on your laptop, but as far as I know you don't have limit on computers. The only limit is that only one computer can be logged in at one time.

Some games even store the save file on line so you can play the same save on different computers.

Honolulu_Blue 02-01-2010 10:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cschex (Post 2216063)
Oooh, I never played anything beyond the original X-Com. For two bucks thats a great deal.

I never played the third X-Com game, but DO NOT play X-Com 2. It's awful. A huge disappointment.

Mizzou B-ball fan 02-01-2010 10:12 AM

This Steam thing is absolutely evil. Finally bit on the X-Com deal for the first Steam purchase. This could be harmful to my wallet, though I doubt I'll make any big purchases. Probably will just pick up games on the cheap here and there when offered.

FrogMan 02-01-2010 10:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JPhillips (Post 2216069)
Yes, you'll need to download the games on your laptop, but as far as I know you don't have limit on computers. The only limit is that only one computer can be logged in at one time.

You can set your Steam client to be offline though. My son wanted to play Worl of Goo on his computer yesterday so I went and installed Steam on there, downloaded WoG and had him playing in no time. Thing was, when I went back to my computer, it didn't allow me to log in to Steam to play King's Bounty. Googled "playing Steam games offline" or something like that and it linked to an article in the Steam knowledge base about getting your games ready to play offline in case you disconnect your laptop for example. Did that on my son's Steam client and we were both able to play our respective games...

FM

edit: sorry can't give you a direct link to the KB article as I can't access Steam from here...

FrogMan 02-01-2010 10:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan (Post 2216080)
This Steam thing is absolutely evil. Finally bit on the X-Com deal for the first Steam purchase. This could be harmful to my wallet, though I doubt I'll make any big purchases. Probably will just pick up games on the cheap here and there when offered.

yes, it is evil, but I've bought tons of fun games on the VERY cheap since the big Holiday sale. I mean, it's hard not to get your money back in entertainment when you pay only $2 for X-Com (even though I've yet to play a minute of it) or $4.99 for King's Bounty. I've already logged in maybe 15 hours of good clean fun with King's Bounty alone and I'm thinking about upgrading my crappy integrated video card in order to play it even more. :)

FM

sterlingice 02-01-2010 12:06 PM

Grr... Steam sale! But how do you pass those two up (X-Com complete and Freedom Force) for a whopping $2 for complete sets?

SI

Tasan 02-01-2010 12:32 PM

Is it bad that when I just type "s" in the firefox address bar and the first thing it shows is store.steampowered.com??? This is getting ridiculous.

DaddyTorgo 02-01-2010 12:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tasan (Post 2216177)
Is it bad that when I just type "s" in the firefox address bar and the first thing it shows is store.steampowered.com??? This is getting ridiculous.

you might have a problem...yes.

if i do that here at work it's salesforce.com

i wonder what it would be if i did it at home...

FrogMan 02-02-2010 02:04 PM

Steam's Midweek Madness deal is Titan Quest Gold at 75% off or for only $4.99:
Package: Titan Quest Gold

It includes the original Titan Quest game and the sequel Immortal Thrones. FWIW, I bought the same package during the holiday sale for what I thought was a very good price at $9.99. Now for only $5, well it's only $2.50 per game for what I'd think would be many hours of play.

Sadly, I've still to put one minute of playing time into this game. It's still on the "to play soon" queue... :)

I did fool around with the demo and liked it very much. It's only a matter of time before I get to it.

Deal is good through Tursday.

FM

JPhillips 02-02-2010 03:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FrogMan (Post 2217030)

It includes the original Titan Quest game and the sequel Immortal Thrones. FWIW, I bought the same package during the holiday sale for what I thought was a very good price at $9.99. Now for only $5, well it's only $2.50 per game for what I'd think would be many hours of play.

Sadly, I've still to put one minute of playing time into this game. It's still on the "to play soon" queue... :)

I did fool around with the demo and liked it very much. It's only a matter of time before I get to it.

FM

Very fun game.

Matthean 02-02-2010 05:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FrogMan (Post 2217030)

FM

Minor annoying things in the game, but a steal at that price. I got two different characters through normal and I'll add more and move the two past epic later on. Mostly taking a break and dusting off City of Heroes.

B & B 02-04-2010 04:15 PM

Steam is running a 50% off deal on Farcry and Farcry2. Was looking for a new shooter to hold me over until RDR, and this looks about 10x better than Serious Sam.

15 bucks for both isnt too shabby and since I havent played either it was a sale.

Tasan 02-04-2010 04:41 PM

Broke down and got Titan Quest Gold. I just couldn't pass it up the second time (passed on it at Christmas).

Peregrine 02-04-2010 06:09 PM

I really loved Titan Quest and the sequel - normally I don't get into the Diablo style gameplay but the mythological theme and lots of character options really sold me. Good stuff there.

PilotMan 02-04-2010 09:19 PM

Impluse has a bundle of Majesty Gold and Majesty 2 for 9.99. That is 75% off the regular of 39.99.

http://www.impulsedriven.com/products/ESD-IMP-W460

PilotMan 02-08-2010 04:19 PM

Steam has Total War week this week. All TW games are 66% off.

You can get:

Rome: Gold + Alexander for $3.39
Medieval II: Gold + Kingdoms for $10.17
Empire for $13.59

Or the whole kitten-kaboodle for $20.39

DaddyTorgo 02-08-2010 07:38 PM

that's almost probably worth picking up rome + medieval just so i don't have to have the cd's in...haha

vex 02-08-2010 09:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo (Post 2220702)
that's almost probably worth picking up rome + medieval just so i don't have to have the cd's in...haha

I was thinking the same:)

Samdari 02-09-2010 07:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PilotMan (Post 2220611)
kitten-kaboodle

kit AND kaboodle

PilotMan 02-09-2010 05:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Samdari (Post 2220973)
kit AND kaboodle

:D

FrogMan 02-09-2010 05:18 PM

Midweek Madness is Trine this week over on Steam. Available at 75% off, i.e. $5.
Trine on Steam

I had installed the demo for it during the big holiday sale but it lagged way too much on my crappy integrated video card. Got a reasonable GT 240 coming from Newegg that should arrive tomorrow but I won't have time to install and try it before the weekend I'm afraid...

FM

Mizzou B-ball fan 02-10-2010 11:36 AM

Metal Gear Solid 4 (PS3) for $20.

Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots (PS3) $20 - Slickdeals.net

Antmeister 02-10-2010 12:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FrogMan (Post 2221326)
Midweek Madness is Trine this week over on Steam. Available at 75% off, i.e. $5.
Trine on Steam

I had installed the demo for it during the big holiday sale but it lagged way too much on my crappy integrated video card. Got a reasonable GT 240 coming from Newegg that should arrive tomorrow but I won't have time to install and try it before the weekend I'm afraid...

FM

Thanks for having me spend unnecessarily.

FrogMan 02-10-2010 12:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Antmeister (Post 2221912)
Thanks for having me spend unnecessarily.

you're welcome :devil:

FM

FrogMan 02-11-2010 07:42 PM

I know many FOFCers already have it but the Weekend deal on Steam is Mount & Blade at 85% off, i.e. for $4.99.

FM

PilotMan 02-11-2010 09:24 PM

Impulse has the THQ Ultimate Bundle. A group of games that total $344 for 100 bucks. A bit steep for my blood, but it's like 10 games plus 7 expansion packs total.

Company of Heros
Red Faction I and II
STALKER
Sup Com
TItan Quest
Warhammer

Are the main games.

DanGarion 02-11-2010 10:38 PM

I'm unsure if anyone posted this, but if you want to keep up with the latest sales on Steam here is an RSS feed someone made for all the sales!

On Sale On Steam

FrogMan 02-12-2010 05:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DanGarion (Post 2223236)
I'm unsure if anyone posted this, but if you want to keep up with the latest sales on Steam here is an RSS feed someone made for all the sales!

On Sale On Steam

interesting but seems to be incomplete. Only shows the Total War titles as the latest sales in there while there's been Trine and Mount & Blade put on sale since the deal for that series has been announced.

I get my sale Steam sale announcements from this their News RSS feed:
Steam RSS News Feed

FM

CleBrownsfan 02-12-2010 06:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FrogMan (Post 2223132)
I know many FOFCers already have it but the Weekend deal on Steam is Mount & Blade at 85% off, i.e. for $4.99.

FM

Thanks - I wanted to try this for some time and $5 can't pass it up. Bought it last nights hopefully I will find some time to play it over the weekend.

Tasan 02-12-2010 07:36 AM

Ditto. Been wanting to try M&B for a while, and now I will at 5 bucks.

whomario 02-12-2010 07:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FrogMan (Post 2223132)

FM

thatīs pretty cool. Allways though about trying a game like that and for that price i will :)

FrogMan 02-12-2010 09:09 AM

It's cool that we still got people who've not tried M&B cause for this price, it really is a great deal. Paid something like $15 around Holiday season last year and played quite a bit with it. It's been a while since the last time I played but I'm thinking about mountin the horse again this weekend, if only to see how it looks with the new graphics card. :)

FM

CleBrownsfan 02-12-2010 09:11 AM

Is M&B pretty cut and dry of a game or are there any pointers ones could give to a nOOb just starting?

Mizzou B-ball fan 02-12-2010 09:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FrogMan (Post 2223385)
It's cool that we still got people who've not tried M&B cause for this price, it really is a great deal. Paid something like $15 around Holiday season last year and played quite a bit with it. It's been a while since the last time I played but I'm thinking about mountin the horse again this weekend, if only to see how it looks with the new graphics card. :)

FM

I was going to jump into this for the price, but the mention of a graphics card draws my attention. I've just got a laptop with the standard integrated IBM card. I usually just play older games on Steam, so it's normally not a big deal. Are there big requirements on M&B or will it run OK on a standard setup?

FrogMan 02-12-2010 09:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan (Post 2223388)
I was going to jump into this for the price, but the mention of a graphics card draws my attention. I've just got a laptop with the standard integrated IBM card. I usually just play older games on Steam, so it's normally not a big deal. Are there big requirements on M&B or will it run OK on a standard setup?

oh no, my card prior to this one was an integrated nvidia 6150LE that's the standard in many HP pavilions and it ran very, very well. I'm only curious to see how much better it was.

One instance it had a bit of a harder time was in bigger battles, but I probably could have tuned down the number of visible opponents and it would have run smoother. But really, it wasn't that bad.

Isn't there a demo on Steam?

FM

FrogMan 02-12-2010 09:19 AM

dola, my new graphics card is an Nvidia GT 240 and I absolutely adore it. King's Bounty now runs smooth as all hell and using the rage items in battles is now fun again. :)

FM

Mizzou B-ball fan 02-12-2010 09:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FrogMan (Post 2223391)
oh no, my card prior to this one was an integrated nvidia 6150LE that's the standard in many HP pavilions and it ran very, very well. I'm only curious to see how much better it was.

One instance it had a bit of a harder time was in bigger battles, but I probably could have tuned down the number of visible opponents and it would have run smoother. But really, it wasn't that bad.

Isn't there a demo on Steam?

FM

I have 2 small children. I don't have time for demos when I have FOFC technical support. I want to buy it and go! :D

FrogMan 02-12-2010 09:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan (Post 2223396)
I have 2 small children. I don't have time for demos when I have FOFC technical support. I want to buy it and go! :D

heh, but sometimes the Steam demos are the preload for the real thing. Set it to download and install and come back later to test it out... :)

FM