Front Office Football Central

Front Office Football Central (http://forums.operationsports.com/fofc//index.php)
-   Off Topic (http://forums.operationsports.com/fofc//forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Random Thoughts That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Go Here (http://forums.operationsports.com/fofc//showthread.php?t=77784)

jeff061 10-28-2011 07:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JediKooter (Post 2557587)
Wait, a project manager flipped out? WTF? I'm assuming he isn't YOUR manager. Wow.

Said PM works for my current client and not my company, as such my manager told me to suck it up and apologize.

I wish I could go into more detail who the client is and the cult like culture they maintain, people here would love it.

cuervo72 10-28-2011 07:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeff061 (Post 2557617)
Said PM works for my current client and not my company, as such my manager told me to suck it up and apologize.

I wish I could go into more detail who the client is and the cult like culture they maintain, people here would love it.

Apple, the Church of Scientology, or the Boston Red Sox.

JediKooter 10-28-2011 07:31 PM

Quote:

Wow. I mean, if you said it in a pissy way, I could kinda understand, but, if you're just informing the dude and was cool about it...tough shit sherlock. :)

sterlingice 10-28-2011 07:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cuervo72 (Post 2557619)

I feel like I just got stuck in a Johnny Carson routine

SI

jeff061 10-28-2011 07:37 PM

Quote:

lol, I almost put "not Apple" in there. Most people on this board probably have not heard of them.

Quote:

Wow. I mean, if you said it in a pissy way, I could kinda understand, but, if you're just informing the dude and was cool about it...tough shit sherlock. :)
I did a plain old heads up email, nothing pissy. Response was "Did you get approval" and my response was "I'm not looking for approval, I'm notifying you." I guess that crossed the line?

SirFozzie 10-28-2011 07:41 PM

Giants closer Brian Wilson, Ronnie Lott, will.i.am and several others endorse interim San Francisco Mayor Ed Lee's election campaign. Awesome. Fear the Stache!

sterlingice 10-28-2011 07:45 PM

I don't know what to say to that

Is Brian Wilson behind him just because of the facial hair?

SI

Pumpy Tudors 10-28-2011 11:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeff061 (Post 2557632)
lol, I almost put "not Apple" in there. Most people on this board probably have not heard of them.

I did a plain old heads up email, nothing pissy. Response was "Did you get approval" and my response was "I'm not looking for approval, I'm notifying you." I guess that crossed the line?

Maybe I've just been trained to be oversensitive in my client relations role, but "I'm not looking for approval, I'm notifying you" comes off as a bit snarky to me.

Suicane75 10-29-2011 12:10 AM

It reads snarky to me.

The problem I have with drinking whiskey once in a while is that the first sips just burn and hurt so bad. It gets better if you keep drinking, but I'm finding it hard to have a sip or two every hour rather than just go gung ho and down a lot at once. Also, explosive diarrhea.

stevew 10-29-2011 12:38 AM

I'm pretty sure Jeff is a contractor, so the guy beating the drum about approval needs to raise the issue with someone else in the first place. He started the snark fest, which Jeff aptly spiked back into his face.

Suicane75 10-29-2011 12:47 AM

And it appears Jeffs spike has been blocked back into his nose. I aint saying he's right or wrong, I'm saying if I'm his boss or his underling, it reads as snarky.

Suicane75 10-29-2011 12:47 AM

Never name your cat Snarky.

Suicane75 10-29-2011 12:50 AM

The first 5 or 6 times I heard the new Indigo Girls song I always had the same reaction, "I like this song, who is this dude singing..........Oh that's right, it's the Indigo Girls".

terpkristin 10-29-2011 07:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HiFiRevival (Post 2557445)
If the storm tonight/tomorrow shifts far enough East, DC could see measurable snow in October for only the 8th time in history. Right now, the latest models have upped the chance of at least a coating in the city to 50%. The suburbs about 10-15 miles West of me are in the 2-6" range suddenly.

It would be quite the shock to see this thing shift East enough, and have the cold air push close enough to the surface, to get measurable snow in October. The last time that happened in DC proper was 1979.

And any of you that are just West of Philly up to NYC, get ready for 6-12". It's already changing to mix/snow in southwestern VA as it hits the mountains.

Whisky Tango Foxtrot.

That's all.

/tk

jeff061 10-29-2011 08:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stevew (Post 2557770)
I'm pretty sure Jeff is a contractor, so the guy beating the drum about approval needs to raise the issue with someone else in the first place. He started the snark fest, which Jeff aptly spiked back into his face.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Suicane75 (Post 2557775)
And it appears Jeffs spike has been blocked back into his nose. I aint saying he's right or wrong, I'm saying if I'm his boss or his underling, it reads as snarky.

I think that sums it up. I'm sure it read as snarky or whatever, I'm not arguing that. I was pissed off after being told I need approval to take care of my health. That's ultimately what I was ranting against.

Pumpy Tudors 10-29-2011 11:00 PM

I feel like I wasted my Saturday. I entered a bowling tournament that was taking place two hours away from home. There were 4 shifts scheduled for Saturday's entries: 1:30, 3:30, 6:30, and 8:30. I intended to bowl the 1:30 and 3:30 shifts, and if I bowled well enough to possibly take place in Sunday's finals, I was going to get a hotel room and spend the night nearby so I wouldn't have to re-do the whole drive on Sunday.

I bowled the 1:30 shift as planned. I have no idea what caused problems, but the first shift ended up taking four hours. People showed up at 3:00 for the 3:30 shift and had to sit there and wait until 5:30 because the first shift was so slow. I felt bad for them, and I felt bad for myself. After the soul-crushing experience of the first shift taking so long, I didn't even bother bowling the second shift. I just went home. I have no idea how they plan to squeeze four shifts in today and another two shifts tomorrow before the finals, but I didn't do well enough to make the finals, so I'm just glad it's over with. The slow pace was annoying.

stevew 10-29-2011 11:34 PM

Oh shit...Niles, OH Pumpy? That Fuddruckers is kind of iffy there....Eastwood Mall is kind of my hood. Agreed on the drive....it feels like forever.

Pumpy Tudors 10-30-2011 05:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stevew (Post 2558149)
Oh shit...Niles, OH Pumpy? That Fuddruckers is kind of iffy there....Eastwood Mall is kind of my hood. Agreed on the drive....it feels like forever.

Yeah, the bowling tournament was in Warren, and I stopped at the mall because I was starving afterwards. The Fuddruckers was fine yesterday. I enjoyed my buffalo burger.

molson 10-30-2011 09:57 PM

Check out this boxer's fight record:

Danny Wofford - Boxer

Danny Wofford, career record 17-102-2. After what must have been a spirited KO win in mid-1993, he went on to finish his career. 2-75-1, including losing the last 28 fights of his career, and 45 of his last 46. Those two wins in his last 78 fights came against two guys who had a combined career professional record of 0-4. And one of the guys he beat earlier in his career, Bobby Jones, had a 7-year boxing career, stringing together a pro record of 0-20.

And he wasn't some random club fighter, he fought some name guys - Phil Jackson, Henry Tilllman, Bruce Seldon, Oliver McCall, Orlin Norris, Alex Stewart, Michael Dokes. I guess he was the guy they fed to those guys to build up their records so they could sell those guys v. Holyfield, Bowe, Lewis, etc. I need to know more about "Dangerous" Dan Wofford.

Suicane75 10-30-2011 11:43 PM

You don't understand. He's an excellent boxer. He's only terrible compared to other, professional boxers.

TCY Junkie 10-31-2011 12:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Suicane75 (Post 2558528)

You don't understand. He's an excellent boxer. He's only terrible compared to other, professional boxers.

I enjoyed that. I love norm plus last week my cousin had an exacta that paid 80 and we told him good job because he always bets exacta. He said no you don't understand I also have win money.made it sound like he won thousands instead of another hundred

JediKooter 10-31-2011 11:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeff061 (Post 2557632)

You did the courteous thing by letting him know, done deal in my opinion, especially if he isn't the one that approves your time off. Sounds like that dude has a bug up his ass.

MacroGuru 10-31-2011 11:09 AM

So I have officially decided Football Manager is electronic crack and SI, Marc Vaughn and the gang are the dealers....I can't stop thinking about the damn game and I am getting the shakes to play it until I get home from work...LOL...

JediKooter 10-31-2011 11:11 AM

That's what beer is for. To get you passed those weak moments.

Rizon 10-31-2011 11:45 AM

Quote:

Sounds like Realtors.

Ksyrup 10-31-2011 11:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JediKooter (Post 2558663)
You did the courteous thing by letting him know, done deal in my opinion, especially if he isn't the one that approves your time off. Sounds like that dude has a bug up his ass.

The problem wasn't in the communication, but how it was communicated. The only reason for something that snarky is if there was some underlying issue that precipitated the PM asking if he got permission. Without more, it comes off as an unnecessarily assholish way to tell him to stay the fuck out of my business, IMO.

MacroGuru 10-31-2011 12:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JediKooter (Post 2558668)
That's what beer is for. To get you passed those weak moments.

Unfortunately, or rather fortunately, I can't have that in the office until after 3 on Fridays ;)

Izulde 10-31-2011 12:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MacroGuru (Post 2558665)
So I have officially decided Football Manager is electronic crack and SI, Marc Vaughn and the gang are the dealers....I can't stop thinking about the damn game and I am getting the shakes to play it until I get home from work...LOL...

Now that I'm actually having some success and am in a playoff fight, I agree with you. :P Of course, the fact that the game had the capacity to piss me off as much as it did shows how good it is.

jeff061 10-31-2011 12:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ksyrup (Post 2558679)
The problem wasn't in the communication, but how it was communicated. The only reason for something that snarky is if there was some underlying issue that precipitated the PM asking if he got permission. Without more, it comes off as an unnecessarily assholish way to tell him to stay the fuck out of my business, IMO.

Yeah, well I was hoping a terse response would be a reality check for him. And to restate, that was the second time I communicated with him in response to being queried about approval, in the initial notification email I wasn't remotely snarky.

Two underlying issues, one he's a PM who's short a resource for a high profile project and on short notice. Second is company culture, it would put a totally different spin of things if you guys had a glimpse of it. Even if I described it you wouldn't get a good feel. Suffice to say, lack of tact is "the way". Sugar coating and pleasantries is considered a waste of time and you will be called to the carpet for doing so. I'm actually vastly understating it, it's a sight to behold. Everyone buys into it.

I feel for him, but I'm still not asking for approval and I don't like being guilted into not going to the doctor. Snarky response was justified, as far as I'm concerned. I've spoken to him since and it's clear to me he wasn't actually put off by the response as much as how I wouldn't consider cancelling my appointment.

jeff061 10-31-2011 12:24 PM

Also, been living in a hotel Sun-Fri since early August for this client. Haven't taken a day off.

Ksyrup 10-31-2011 12:24 PM

I would have taken a completely different tack - I would have told him I'm sorry but the chemo treatments usually leave me a bit too weak and nauseous to be of much use for the rest of the day.

Passacaglia 10-31-2011 12:28 PM

I have a big exam on Friday, and I've recorded the Lions/Broncos game so I can watch it after. Given that the "Stafford and Tebow are smelly" thread and the "Tim Tebow" thread are both bumped, I have a feeling it will be difficult to stay spoiler-free.

JediKooter 10-31-2011 12:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeff061 (Post 2558695)
Yeah, well I was hoping a terse response would be a reality check for him. And to restate, that was the second time I communicated with him in response to being queried about approval, in the initial notification email I wasn't remotely snarky.

Two underlying issues, one he's a PM who's short a resource for a high profile project and on short notice. Second is company culture, it would put a totally different spin of things if you guys had a glimpse of it. Even if I described it you wouldn't get a good feel. Suffice to say, lack of tact is "the way". Sugar coating and pleasantries is considered a waste of time and you will be called to the carpet for doing so. I'm actually vastly understating it, it's a sight to behold. Everyone buys into it.

I feel for him, but I'm still not asking for approval and I don't like being guilted into not going to the doctor. Snarky response was justified, as far as I'm concerned. I've spoken to him since and it's clear to me he wasn't actually put off by the response as much as how I wouldn't consider cancelling my appointment.

Do you work for Cardassians?

JediKooter 10-31-2011 12:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ksyrup (Post 2558679)

Ah ok. I didn't see it that way and took it as it came out of left field. Now that I saw Jeff's explanation, sounds like that is status quo there where he's at.

JediKooter 10-31-2011 12:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MacroGuru (Post 2558689)
Unfortunately, or rather fortunately, I can't have that in the office until after 3 on Fridays ;)

The only thing I see wrong with that is, it being limited to Fridays. :)

Ksyrup 10-31-2011 12:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Passacaglia (Post 2558699)
I have a big exam on Friday, and I've recorded the Lions/Broncos game so I can watch it after. Given that the "Stafford and Tebow are smelly" thread and the "Tim Tebow" thread are both bumped, I have a feeling it will be difficult to stay spoiler-free.

Not to give too much away, but the stench emanated from only one sideline.

MacroGuru 10-31-2011 12:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JediKooter (Post 2558709)
The only thing I see wrong with that is, it being limited to Fridays. :)

Yes...I know...It's a good place when you have to reach around the beer in the fridge to get to your lunch.

JediKooter 10-31-2011 12:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MacroGuru (Post 2558711)
Yes...I know...It's a good place when you have to reach around the beer in the fridge to get to your lunch.

Haha! Nice!

terpkristin 10-31-2011 06:19 PM

We Play God

/tk

sterlingice 11-01-2011 10:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JediKooter (Post 2558706)
Do you work for Cardassians?

The Star Trek aliens, the bimbos or tv, or a little of both?

(ok, that was too nerdy)

SI

JediKooter 11-01-2011 10:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sterlingice (Post 2559104)
The Star Trek aliens, the bimbos or tv, or a little of both?

(ok, that was too nerdy)

SI

Haha! Nice. In this case, the Star Trek aliens. :)

M GO BLUE!!! 11-01-2011 03:44 PM

I have a second interview for a part-time job that pays $7.50/hr. They want me to bring in a copy of my driving record, which I can obtain for $8.

Should you really have to pay for information for a potential employer?

I'm just going in & tell the guy that I didn't have $8 on me. If he doesn't hire me, I miss out on a $7.50/hr job. Yip-fucking-ee.

stevew 11-01-2011 03:54 PM

I saw a job posting the other day at the Dollar General that was like "part time help wanted, If you can't work any shift, don't bother applying". So this is what it has come to? Shitty min wage jobs that can impose draconian scheduling constraints so that you can make $150/week or less. This market fucking sucks if that is the case.

M GO BLUE!!! 11-01-2011 04:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stevew (Post 2559235)
I saw a job posting the other day at the Dollar General that was like "part time help wanted, If you can't work any shift, don't bother applying". So this is what it has come to? Shitty min wage jobs that can impose draconian scheduling constraints so that you can make $150/week or less. This market fucking sucks if that is the case.

Yep.

Then if you do take a job that only gives you a few hours a week, you can't work another that requires those hours open.

Ksyrup 11-01-2011 09:35 PM

I flew to DC today, and on the first leg (Lexington to Detroit), there was a prisoner or convict being transported, I'm fairly certain. Three guys were the last ones on the plane, and the guy in the middle was covered in tattoos from head to foot (he even had a tattoo of a goatee) and had a jacket covering his hands, which appeared to be handcuffed. A bit alarming, but I was more curious than anything.

M GO BLUE!!! 11-01-2011 10:31 PM

I drove thru Pennsylvania last night. While urinating in a gas station men's room that appeared to have been recently cleaned I looked up. There was poop on the ceiling.

I brought this to the attention of the gentlemen working in the store. They said a group of drunk dirt bikers had been in there and they were aware of the problem, but had no ladder to reach it.

Apparently in central PA, there ain't much to do on Halloween other than have a drunken feces fight in a Citgo men's room.

MacroGuru 11-02-2011 12:21 PM

Kind of bummed today.

Noticed on facebook how many of my former high school and college classmates are divorced or getting divorced...makes you wonder what the hell has happened...

spleen1015 11-02-2011 12:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MacroGuru (Post 2559501)
Kind of bummed today.

Noticed on facebook how many of my former high school and college classmates are divorced or getting divorced...makes you wonder what the hell has happened...

I think people give up far more easier today than they did in the past. Not judging anyone, just saying I don't think the level of commitment exists like it used to.

Case and point, Kim Kardashian. She's getting divorced because her husband wanted her to move to Minnesota and she doesn't want to. Why didn't you work that out before hand? Is that truly a deal breaker? I would live any where if it meant spending the rest of my life with my wife.

Autumn 11-02-2011 12:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ksyrup (Post 2559357)
I flew to DC today, and on the first leg (Lexington to Detroit), there was a prisoner or convict being transported, I'm fairly certain. Three guys were the last ones on the plane, and the guy in the middle was covered in tattoos from head to foot (he even had a tattoo of a goatee) and had a jacket covering his hands, which appeared to be handcuffed. A bit alarming, but I was more curious than anything.

MacroGuru 11-02-2011 12:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spleen1015 (Post 2559505)
I think people give up far more easier today than they did in the past. Not judging anyone, just saying I don't think the level of commitment exists like it used to.

Case and point, Kim Kardashian. She's getting divorced because her husband wanted her to move to Minnesota and she doesn't want to. Why didn't you work that out before hand? Is that truly a deal breaker? I would live any where if it meant spending the rest of my life with my wife.

I truly understand that...and I know before I ended up separating from my wife, we tried for almost 2 years to fix what was broken, we worked our asses off to make sure we were doing it for not only us, but for the kids.

Now that we are apart, our relationship is strong as friends and nothing more (But the occasional, damn I want to sleep with you..pops up in joking conversation....it is a solid healthy relationship for our kids.... and that is what I am seeing with the friends from high school and college.The bulk of it was their wife or husband didn't want to be married anymore.

But I dot hink for Utah, it's the young age of getting married (most are married at 19 (women) and 21 (men) due to the religion and such)