Front Office Football Central

Front Office Football Central (http://forums.operationsports.com/fofc//index.php)
-   Off Topic (http://forums.operationsports.com/fofc//forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Big 10 Expansion Thread -Big Ten ready for a playoff .. finally? (http://forums.operationsports.com/fofc//showthread.php?t=76565)

BishopMVP 11-06-2011 10:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan (Post 2561741)
Our last three games are all in the state of Missouri and are all very winnable games. Mizzou likely will go to a bowl for their 7th straight season. Given that most knew this would be a rebuilding year, we'd take that in a heartbeat.

You'll gladly take 7-5 in any year? Ummm...... like Chubby said, good luck in the SEC.

Mizzou B-ball fan 11-06-2011 11:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BishopMVP (Post 2561750)
You'll gladly take 7-5 in any year? Ummm...... like Chubby said, good luck in the SEC.

In any year? No. In a rebuilding year with one of the toughest schedules in the nation? Absolutely.

Chubby 11-06-2011 11:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan (Post 2561753)
In any year? No. In a rebuilding year with one of the toughest schedules in the nation? Absolutely.

yeah that Big 12 schedule is a bitch compared to the SEC

cartman 11-06-2011 11:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chubby (Post 2561759)
yeah that Big 12 schedule is a bitch compared to the SEC

This season, at least, an argument can be made that this is the case. Several computer rankings (Sagarin's and Jim's at least) have the Big 12 as the strongest conference at this point in the season.

MJ4H 11-06-2011 11:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan (Post 2561726)
Agreed. Texas is FINALLY someone else's problem.

Can attest that this is a wondeful feeling.

Mizzou B-ball fan 11-06-2011 11:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MJ4H (Post 2561774)

:D

FWIW, while MU fans are hoping that the KU/MU rivalry can be salvaged, almost all MU fans are really excited about the MU/Arkansas rivalry coming back into play. Looking forward especially to the fact that Coach Anderson has to return to Mizzou Arena. :)

Mizzou B-ball fan 11-06-2011 11:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cartman (Post 2561765)
This season, at least, an argument can be made that this is the case. Several computer rankings (Sagarin's and Jim's at least) have the Big 12 as the strongest conference at this point in the season.

Agreed. The two conferences have been the strongest two conferences for some time now. Probably a better way of putting it is that Mizzou is exchanging one form of poison for another. Either way, an increase or decrease in the level of competition is never a good criteria to make a decision on conference affiliation. Mizzou is moving because the SEC is a stable home that offers a large increase in revenue and opportunity.

MJ4H 11-06-2011 11:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan (Post 2561780)
Agreed. The two conferences have been the strongest two conferences for some time now. Probably a better way of putting it is that Mizzou is exchanging one form of poison for another. Either way, an increase or decrease in the level of competition is never a good criteria to make a decision on conference affiliation. Mizzou is moving because the SEC is a stable home that offers a large increase in revenue and opportunity.

Yep. I feel this is an outstanding move for Missouri. Congrats.

panerd 11-06-2011 12:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chubby (Post 2561735)
4-5 overall, 2-4 in Big 12, couldn't beat Baylor

Good luck in the SEC hahaha

Losses to Rutgers, Louisville, 1-3 in the Big East, couldn't beat Uconn. (see 24-20 loss to Iowa State one of the worst teams in the big 12)

Good luck in the ACC hahaha!

panerd 11-06-2011 12:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MJ4H (Post 2561774)

Yep. I never really hated Texas for what they did and if Mizzou were in the same situation I would sure want them to do the same thing. (Why should Iowa State and KU share our football revenue?) Will I miss them at all? Nope. Never really considered them a rival and I know they never considered us one. I will definitely miss the old big 8 schools but Baylor, Texas, Tech, and A&M were just games to me and I am sure they thought the same thing about Mizzou.

Chubby 11-06-2011 12:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by panerd (Post 2561794)
Losses to Rutgers, Louisville, 1-3 in the Big East, couldn't beat Uconn. (see 24-20 loss to Iowa State one of the worst teams in the big 12)

hmm I must have missed the thread masturbation about Syracuse...

kcchief19 11-06-2011 01:08 PM

Quote:

@KUNews: Missouri forfeits a century-old rivalry. We win. #kubball #kufball #mizzou
That's the official Twitter account for the university's PR department. Classy ... and stupid. How can you consider ending a rivalry a win?

KU-MU predates the founding of the Big 6 conference. The Big 8 has been dead for 15 years. MU will play KU anytime. If The rivalry ends, KU has half responsible.

Also, MU and KU are under contract to play in Kansas City in 2012. KU will have to break the contract to end the rivalry, because I know MU wants to play that game. And KU could probably use the money to buyout Turner Gill.

MJ4H 11-06-2011 01:15 PM

That's stupid and classless.

panerd 11-06-2011 01:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kcchief19 (Post 2561834)
That's the official Twitter account for the university's PR department. Classy ... and stupid. How can you consider ending a rivalry a win?

KU-MU predates the founding of the Big 6 conference. The Big 8 has been dead for 15 years. MU will play KU anytime. If The rivalry ends, KU has half responsible.

Also, MU and KU are under contract to play in Kansas City in 2012. KU will have to break the contract to end the rivalry, because I know MU wants to play that game. And KU could probably use the money to buyout Turner Gill.

They will get over themselves and are just fired up right now. If anything the money will make them keep playing. I don't blame them that much they could umltimately get screwed in this game of musical chairs. Probably should have not been greenlighted by the univeristy though.

sterlingice 11-06-2011 01:50 PM

It's sad to me that we've lost 2 of the 3 longest rivalries in college football (Kansas-Nebraska and Kansas-Mizzou) in the space of a year. Only Wisconsin-Minnesota is longer. But Texas just threw out #4 on the list with A&M so I suppose the times are a changin'

SI

KWhit 11-06-2011 02:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BishopMVP (Post 2561750)

Really. That kind of year has Georgia wanting to fire its coach.

molson 11-06-2011 03:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by panerd (Post 2561794)

Ya, you kind of missed the point. Syracuse is maybe the 115th best football program out there right now, no debate there. I guess that's why they don't have 500 insider blogs posting insider information. They're just not that important. Missouri is way more important, but still about 10,000X less important than they're portrayed here.

dawgfan 11-06-2011 05:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan (Post 2561780)
The SEC & Pac-10 have been the strongest two conferences for some time now.

Fixed that for you.

Mizzou B-ball fan 11-06-2011 05:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dawgfan (Post 2561946)
Fixed that for you.

The PAC-XX above either of those conferences? Me thinks not.

dawgfan 11-06-2011 05:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan (Post 2561948)
The PAC-XX above either of those conferences? Me thinks not.

Above the SEC? No. Above the Big-"12"? Absolutely. This is the first year since 2007 the Big-"12" has been rated ahead of the Pac-10/12.

Mizzou B-ball fan 11-06-2011 05:42 PM

Slive confirms at presser that Mizzou will play next year in the SEC East. Says they will 'look to maintain traditional rivalries'. Guessing that means MU/A&M will be the rival game.

Cuckoo 11-06-2011 08:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by George (Post 2561705)
Official announcement from the SEC.

http://www.secdigitalnetwork.com/NEW...onference.aspx

Very disappointing... I'm not bothered too much by the A&M loss honestly, but as a guy who really values tradition, it's just so sad to see the Big 8 teams leave. I guess I just don't get it, and I think this whole grass is greener mentality is going to lead to a lot of regret and disappointed fans in the long run.

tarcone 11-06-2011 08:33 PM

I dont think Nebraska fans will have regret or disappointment. Nebraska fits the B1G like a glove.

sterlingice 11-06-2011 08:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tarcone (Post 2562010)
I dont think Nebraska fans will have regret or disappointment. Nebraska fits the B1G like a glove.

(Except academically)

SI

Mizzou B-ball fan 11-06-2011 10:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cuckoo (Post 2562007)
Very disappointing... I'm not bothered too much by the A&M loss honestly, but as a guy who really values tradition, it's just so sad to see the Big 8 teams leave. I guess I just don't get it, and I think this whole grass is greener mentality is going to lead to a lot of regret and disappointed fans in the long run.

The disappointment should be with the fact that the Big 8 ever took on the Texas schools. It led directly to the changes we've seen over the last 18 months. Colorado, Nebraska, and Mizzou fans would all love nothing better than to still be playing KU, KSU, ISU, OU, and OSU. The real shame is that those eight schools are being forced to pick sides by the idiots in Texas who made this mess.

kcchief19 11-06-2011 11:03 PM

Huskers deserve some blame too. They are the ones who bolted and set the wheels in motion. I honestly don't put much blame on CU ... they've wanted to be in the Pac-xx for a long time and have felt decreasingly connected to the Big 12.

Mike Alde mailed it in the press conference. He said that even withe the changes the Big 12 was making, it felt more like a pre-nup, and everybody was planning for the divorce. The whole grant of rights was just putting an expiration date on the conference.

I'll accept some blame for MU and its role in the demise of the Big 12. I'm still not convinced the Big 12 will survive, but I wish the conference good luck.

SackAttack 11-06-2011 11:14 PM

Mixed feelings. On the one hand, the SEC isn't likely to get raided by other expanding conferences or abandoned by its member schools. From that standpoint, it's a good move for Missouri - no future fears about 'oh shit what now'.

From a competitive standpoint, though?

They're basically exchanging Kansas for Kentucky when it comes to "schools we're never going to beat out to win the league" in basketball. Doesn't mean they can't continue to be competitive come tourney time, but they're going to win as many SEC regular season titles as they ever won Big 12 regular season titles.

Football, the question in my mind isn't "will they win the conference to earn a BCS berth," because there are at least four schools in that conference who are always going to whip their asses at recruiting. The more appropriate question is what the balance is going to be between 7-8 win seasons and 10-win seasons going forward. If the latter become a rarity with the move, then it's just a more financially rewarding regression to the 1970-2006 period, really.

And maybe they're okay with that.

I just would've loved to see how Missouri's basketball program would've fared against the Big Ten style of play over the course of a full regular season.

Mizzou B-ball fan 11-07-2011 08:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kcchief19 (Post 2562096)
Huskers deserve some blame too. They are the ones who bolted and set the wheels in motion.

I don't even blame them. In hindsight, they saw what was coming 12-14 months before any of the other schools did. And if Nebraska didn't take a spot in the Big 10, Mizzou likely would have done so. Mizzou is just very fortunate that there was another opportunity available a year later.

Logan 11-07-2011 09:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan (Post 2562215)
And if Nebraska didn't take a spot in the Big 10, Mizzou likely would have done so.

Never gets old!

Mizzou B-ball fan 11-07-2011 10:25 AM

And with this article, we can confirm that this rivalry won't be ending anytime soon........

KU's Self not fretting over Missouri's decision to leave Big 12 for SEC / LJWorld.com

There's some conference realignment bitchin' going on right now, but they'll come down from their flatland soapbox and play Mizzou. This move will do nothing but intensify the extreme hatred that already exists.

Toddzilla 11-07-2011 10:55 AM

good god, what a load of sour grapes in that article

Young Drachma 11-07-2011 12:01 PM

SDSU talked with Boise about Big East

Hehehehe...

SirFozzie 11-07-2011 04:59 PM

Hell, when you've gone to Idaho for the Big "East" why stop there. Go allllll the way!

Izulde 11-07-2011 05:31 PM

Boise State, Air Force, *and* SDSU? Shit, at this rate, I wouldn't mind UNLV pulling out of the conference. Going to be stuck in a shit league anyway, might as well go somewhere where the football team can win some games and the basketball team wins the conference pretty much every year.

Mizzou B-ball fan 11-07-2011 05:51 PM

Couple more things I heard from a friend of the Kroenke family today.

1. Buyout for Mizzou will end up being around $5M. Kroenke family has already told Mizzou that they will cut a check for the full amount of any buyout.

2. Checks for $50M were cut today by Mizzou alumni for beginning stages of football stadium expansion. Another $110M on top of that amount is pledged and forthcoming to complete latter stages of a football stadium expansion. All $160M was contingent on MU moving to the SEC.

Young Drachma 11-07-2011 06:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Izulde (Post 2562580)
Boise State, Air Force, *and* SDSU? Shit, at this rate, I wouldn't mind UNLV pulling out of the conference. Going to be stuck in a shit league anyway, might as well go somewhere where the football team can win some games and the basketball team wins the conference pretty much every year.

You need a competitive team and/or academics or TV market to do that.

Mizzou B-ball fan 11-07-2011 06:30 PM

Lots of info from the Tulsa newspaper. They did a sunshine request and got a load of e-mails from OU. Highlights include some politicians requesting contact or directly contacting the OU AD. Also an e-mail from the A&M AD to the OU AD pointing out how ESPN intentionally has left some UT games in various sports off the schedule so they will fall to the LHN for broadcast.

Edit: Amazed at how clearly out of touch the AD's and Beebe were with what was going on around them. Most were reacting to the same gossip that was posted in this thread along the way.

http://www.tulsaworld.com/webextra/c.../OU_emails.pdf

cartman 11-07-2011 06:39 PM

You mean the Longhorns were going to (GASP) broadcast games from their minor sports on the Longhorn Network? How dare they?!?

Good thing for Mizzou that nothing underhanded has ever occurred in the SEC!

RomaGoth 11-07-2011 06:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cartman (Post 2562620)
You mean the Longhorns were going to (GASP) broadcast games from their minor sports on the Longhorn Network? How dare they?!?

Good thing for Mizzou that nothing underhanded has ever occurred in the SEC!

lol

MacroGuru 11-07-2011 09:10 PM

It was revealed by BYU today they were approached by the Big East. I think the Big East asked any school with a pulse that could play football to join them based up all the "approaches" I am hearing about...

Izulde 11-07-2011 09:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dark Cloud (Post 2562607)
You need a competitive team and/or academics or TV market to do that.

Nuh I'm saying to go from one shitty league to another. I mean, since the MWC is going to suck anyway with all these defections, might as well go to an even worse conference where the football team can be competitive and the hoops team will own it year in and year out.

And don't even get me started on how shitty UNLV's academics are except for for a few areas (Hotel, Creative Writing, increasingly the Business School because money is getting poured into it by outside sources).

Mizzou B-ball fan 11-08-2011 08:56 AM

Remain calm. All is well. ALL IS WELL!!!!

OU president says Big 12 conference set for 2012 - College Football - Rivals.com

In related news, some interesting comments that might make OU rethink that 'wallflower' comment. According to Larry Scott, they were exactly that......

Quote:

Pac-12 commissioner Larry Scott went on KJR-AM in Seattle on Thursday afternoon to talk about how close his conference came to expanding.

"It wasn't nearly as close as the media painted it out to be," said Scott.Scott also went on to say that while Oklahoma and Oklahoma State were interested in joining the Pac-12 with or without Texas, it just wouldn't have worked.

"Oklahoma wanted us to do that [go to 14 teams] so we looked at it, but 14 never really made sense to us.

Scott also said that adding only the Oklahoma schools by themselves wouldn't have been as attractive, as Texas was the market the Pac-12 was really interested in.

BishopMVP 11-08-2011 09:23 AM

But I thought Texas was overplaying its hand by insisting on the Longhorn Network and it would be left as an independent?
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan (Post 2561753)

Like KWhit said, accepting near-.500 in even the most dire circumstances proves your fan base doesn't fit into the SEC mentality.

Mizzou B-ball fan 11-08-2011 12:45 PM

SEC exercises option to rip up old TV deal after only two years of 15 year deal. Exploration of new SEC network, likely with ESPN, is also expected.

http://www.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/e...70202/33120383

cartman 11-08-2011 12:50 PM

Did the meaning of "rip up" change?

FTA:
Quote:

The SEC will exercise one of its options to adjust the current ESPN contract with the conference, commissioner Mike Slive told CBSSports.com
Quote:

At intervals during such contracts, conferences are allowed periodic “look ins” to address issues such as these when they expand. Typically in these cases, the parties negotiate a rights fee increase.

RomaGoth 11-08-2011 01:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan (Post 2563123)
Exploration of new SEC network, likely with ESPN, is also expected.

So nothing is changing then.

panerd 11-08-2011 01:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cartman (Post 2563128)
Did the meaning of "rip up" change?

FTA:

We will settle this on the field this weekend. :)

Mizzou B-ball fan 11-08-2011 01:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RomaGoth (Post 2563138)
So nothing is changing then.

It would be a separate network, much like the BTN. It's a pretty big change. Still would have a good chunk of games on the ESPN network channels as well.

Izulde 11-08-2011 01:43 PM

I wonder if MBBF is going to turn into a giant SEC homer now. :D

Mizzou B-ball fan 11-08-2011 01:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Izulde (Post 2563174)
I wonder if MBBF is going to turn into a giant SEC homer now. :D

Why wouldn't I? Mizzou is a proud member of the B12 for one more year. After that, I have little reason to root for any other conference/team than the SEC/Mizzou.