Front Office Football Central

Front Office Football Central (http://forums.operationsports.com/fofc//index.php)
-   Off Topic (http://forums.operationsports.com/fofc//forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   NFL 2018 Season Thread (http://forums.operationsports.com/fofc//showthread.php?t=95359)

Logan 01-08-2019 07:36 AM

I understand losing him after only a couple weeks sucks, but wasn't the absolute best case scenario that he was there for one year?

Thomkal 01-08-2019 09:29 AM

Yeah I can see hiring him for an offensive coordinator/QB coach job but head coach when your team just had the worst record with a head coach 'born and raised" in the NFL? I'm just glad my Cards aren't interested in Marvin Lewis.

Jets also interested in Kingsbury-should make for an interesting turn in the Thomkal Jets/Cards rivalry with my brother :)

miami_fan 01-08-2019 10:20 AM

Bright young coach seems to be coming to Tampa.

Bucs make Bruce Arians take full physical, include his doctor as part of interview process

Thomkal 01-08-2019 12:54 PM

Yeah poor Cleveland loses again. I guess its good Arians is going back to coaching because his broadcast skills were never going to be as good. Is his family so sick of him already that they are ok with him going back to coaching? I think that and his health were just excuses for needing a break from coaching. Maybe he's found the spark he needed.

Arles 01-08-2019 03:15 PM

I think the LaFleur hiring is interesting. He really didn't have a lot to work with with Walker going out in the preseason and one legit (while also inconsistent) WR in Davis. In the games Mariota played, the Titans went 8-4 and scored 23 ppg (including wins over Philly, Dallas and New England). He also did a lot to open their running game and they were much better on 3rd down than GB. I'm thinking if he can get an injured Mariota to complete 69% of his passes at an average of 7.6 ypa - he should be able to improve Rodgers' numbers (62% with a 7.4 ypa). The Titans OL was also pretty awful by most metrics.

In GB, he will have a better QB, better OL, better WR and some young RBs with promise. If you look at his route concepts, 3rd down playcalling and zone running scheme - it should be a nice change from McCarthy's "everybody win your matchup" offense.

bhlloy 01-08-2019 03:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Logan (Post 3228244)
I understand losing him after only a couple weeks sucks, but wasn't the absolute best case scenario that he was there for one year?

The hope was he would be the HC after one year, although really that’s just the desire to have anyone else rather that the perception that Kingsbury is a great HC

Thomkal 01-08-2019 04:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thomkal (Post 3228252)
Yeah I can see hiring him for an offensive coordinator/QB coach job but head coach when your team just had the worst record with a head coach 'born and raised" in the NFL? I'm just glad my Cards aren't interested in Marvin Lewis.

Jets also interested in Kingsbury-should make for an interesting turn in the Thomkal Jets/Cards rivalry with my brother :)

Looking like the Cards are the "winner" here, but not officially announced.

Edit: It now has been announced

Logan 01-08-2019 04:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bhlloy (Post 3228285)
The hope was he would be the HC after one year, although really that’s just the desire to have anyone else rather that the perception that Kingsbury is a great HC

Right but unless you believe he would prefer to be the USC HC over an NFL HC, you weren't going to end up with him next year anyway.

bhlloy 01-08-2019 09:23 PM

Fair - I don’t think anybody anticipated the NFL head coaching interest for a coach who basically failed at a not-terrible school.

Let’s be honest, the Cards are taking a shot in the dark at a guy who might look a bit like Sean McVay if you squint hard enough, and if he falls flat on his face they will just Wilks him next year anyway along with a new GM who will bring in his own guy.

There’s probably some sour grapes in that evaluation, but also some truth.

HomerSimpson98 01-09-2019 09:45 AM

Cards are trying to be the new Browns :)

albionmoonlight 01-09-2019 10:14 AM

I think that Kingsbury seems like such a bad NFL hire that it might end up being good. Like, whenever 100% of pundits agree on something it ends up being wrong.

stevew 01-09-2019 11:43 AM

Kitchens? I guess that's a good hire. Williams apparently wanted to make his son DC

QuikSand 01-09-2019 11:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stevew (Post 3228339)
Kitchens? I guess that's a good hire. Williams apparently wanted to make his son DC

Seems like the best move from where they were. I'm hopeful. They ought to attract a legit DC, I'd think.

albionmoonlight 01-09-2019 11:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stevew (Post 3228339)

Gregg Williams was fools gold. The Browns were smart to understand which coach actually helped turn them around this season.

JPhillips 01-09-2019 12:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HomerSimpson98 (Post 3228327)
Cards are trying to be the new Browns :)

Is that better or worse than the Bengals trying to become the old Bengals?

Thomkal 01-09-2019 12:17 PM

Broncos go with the Bears Fangio.

JonInMiddleGA 01-09-2019 12:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by albionmoonlight (Post 3228345)
Gregg Williams was fools gold. The Browns were smart to understand which coach actually helped turn them around this season.

The one that left? :lol:

NobodyHere 01-09-2019 01:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA (Post 3228352)
The one that left? :lol:

:thumbsup:

rjolley 01-09-2019 01:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thomkal (Post 3228348)
Broncos go with the Bears Fangio.

Damn, was hoping he'd stay on as Bears' DC. Curious to see whom they bring in.

Logan 01-09-2019 02:38 PM

I have no idea why the Jets aren't jumping all over McCarthy, especially if the reports are to be believed that he wants the job so badly.

I get that he has his limitations but they just need a solid, dependable coach who can bring credibility to the whole organization. I like Rhule and maybe he has a higher ceiling but they can't afford a flop here.

Arles 01-09-2019 05:18 PM

Pretty impressive duo leading the Broncos. While not as exciting as the new, shiny pennies found in some of these other jobs - Denver got two really good football guys running the show:

weegeebored 01-09-2019 07:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rjolley (Post 3228356)
Damn, was hoping he'd stay on as Bears' DC. Curious to see whom they bring in.

Me too. Fangio didn't seem to get as much credit as Nagy for the Bears success, and that just wasn't right. No telling how good of a HC he will make; always a crapshoot even with the great coordinators.

miami_fan 01-09-2019 07:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Logan (Post 3228365)
I have no idea why the Jets aren't jumping all over McCarthy, especially if the reports are to be believed that he wants the job so badly.

I get that he has his limitations but they just need a solid, dependable coach who can bring credibility to the whole organization. I like Rhule and maybe he has a higher ceiling but they can't afford a flop here.

Maybe he was just doing OJT with the Dolphins. I guess if he succeeds with the Jets, the NFL can contract the Dolphins.

Adam Gase expected to be hired as New York Jets head coach

Thomkal 01-09-2019 07:27 PM

Ha-ha Jets because he did so well for the Dolphins?

B & B 01-09-2019 07:41 PM

V

I thought it was clear that Gase was overrated/unqualified after his Miami gig.

Dude road the OC coattails of an aging Pey pey to a real payday and then showed his shit. Silly Jets.

Called the Denver Fangio hire a week ago, if you get a good DC HC , hire a guy to focus and only run the O (hence Kubiak) you have the workings of the system. Could be special.

Now Im curious to see what might be Elways QB song , draft Haskins? Hit the FA market *lol taneyhill or deal for someone's bQB?

This will sound sick but I said last month before the playoffs that the Donkeys should offer a 2nd rounder for Nick Mullens. SF got that ceesh tied up in Jeanne Garafolo. Win-win.

miami_fan 01-09-2019 08:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by B & B (Post 3228390)
I thought it was clear that Gase was overrated/unqualified after his Miami gig.

Dude road the OC coattails of an aging Pey pey to a real payday and then showed his shit. Silly Jets.

Called the Denver Fangio hire a week ago, if you get a good DC HC , hire a guy to focus and only run the O (hence Kubiak) you have the workings of the system. Could be special.

Now Im curious to see what might be Elways QB song , draft Haskins? Hit the FA market *lol taneyhill or deal for someone's bQB?

This will sound sick but I said last month before the playoffs that the Donkeys should offer a 2nd rounder for Nick Mullens. SF got that ceesh tied up in Jeanne Garafolo. Win-win.

Is this the new coaching model? I hear everyone talking about finding the next Sean McVay and it is associated with his ability to develop a QB and scheme up offenses. Could it also be about hiring a great offense mind and turning the defense over to a great defensive mind and vice versa? Someone has to be the "head coach" and make the "head coaching" decisions of course but does it really make sense for Fangio to force Kubiak to run the ball more or Kubiak to force Fangio to play more zone coverage? Could the head coaching decisions be something that comes from the analytic department a la baseball? Just curious.

thesloppy 01-09-2019 08:25 PM

I get the impression that someone's ability to be a successful head coach relies just as much on their social/organizational skills than their abilities regarding football strategy. In essence, the higher one rises within the front office, the more likely that a lack in those social & organizational skills will serve to bottleneck whatever technical football knowledge that person is trying to pass on to their team.

Someone like Sean McVay comes along, and the press runs with a kind of "Beautiful Mind" narrative, based entirely on promoting the dude's remarkable recall and strategic thinking, while ignoring any of the adjacent skills that allow for any of that information to be communicated effectively to his team of players and coaches.

bhlloy 01-09-2019 08:38 PM

ahaha ha haha Gase got another job... poor Sam Darnold.

NobodyHere 01-09-2019 09:05 PM

I'm just glad that Colts DC and Toledo alum Matt Eberflus hasn't been plucked by another team.

Scarecrow 01-11-2019 04:24 PM

Just saw another amazing Pat Mahomes stat:

- Patrick Mahomes has thrown 5 more TDs (50) than Dustin Colquitt has punted (45)

Wonder if that's ever happened before...

MIJB#19 01-11-2019 05:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scarecrow (Post 3228525)
Just saw another amazing Pat Mahomes stat:

- Patrick Mahomes has thrown 5 more TDs (50) than Dustin Colquitt has punted (45)

Wonder if that's ever happened before...

In the 2007 season, Brady threw 6 more TDs (50) than Chris Hanson punted (44).
My source: https://www.footballdb.com/teams/nfl...ots/stats/2007

miami_fan 01-11-2019 07:53 PM

Gary Kubiak won't be on Vic Fangio's coaching staff for Denver Broncos

AlexB 01-12-2019 05:33 PM

So was that a penalty just because the dance was close to the ref?

BishopMVP 01-13-2019 02:58 PM

It doesn't matter, especially since I think they said "no conclusive evidence of a recovery so the call stands" instead of "it was a fumble, recovered by San Diego". But in the second scenario would we win and get a 3rd challenge chance? Heck, even in the first if Belichick challenged that the ball was fumbled & it conclusively was shouldn't that be enough to count as a win?

stevew 01-13-2019 03:24 PM

I dunno if this is baseball thread or football thread but just curious how much of his bonus Kyler Murray gives up if ge chooses football? And the A's lose the pick regardless, right?

Drake 01-13-2019 03:24 PM

I don't think one close/competitive game this weekend is too much to ask for, is it?

stevew 01-13-2019 04:19 PM

If/when Foles wins another Superbowl this year, Wentz to the Jags/Broncos/Bengals for 3 #1s and some seconds?

bhlloy 01-13-2019 04:34 PM

I don't like that decision to decline the holding to leave the Saints with 4th and a short 1, and even if you do decide to leave them that you have got to be ready for the fake keeper with Hill out there.

Pick your poison a bit by giving the ball back to Brees on 3rd and 11, but with the way he's started the game, I'm taking that option every time.

bhlloy 01-13-2019 04:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stevew (Post 3228605)
I dunno if this is baseball thread or football thread but just curious how much of his bonus Kyler Murray gives up if ge chooses football? And the A's lose the pick regardless, right?

I believe he gives it all up, which is why it's such a fascinating decision. A lot of money to play minor league baseball for the next 3-5 years with a decent shot of making the majors, or less money to play football in the NFL right away, but knowing that a player of his size and stature has almost never succeeded at that position and he might not get a second contract if he falls flat on his face.

Carman Bulldog 01-13-2019 10:17 PM

Kyler Murray: Is The NFL A More Lucrative Option Than MLB for Oklahoma QB?

Interesting take on it. Not sure I completely with some of the presumptions.

miami_fan 01-14-2019 07:24 AM

Not to bring politics in the NFL thread but...,

How long after a Saints win on Sunday would a state of emergency be declared for the state of Georgia? Can a wall be built at the Georgia western borders in time for Super Bowl week?

albionmoonlight 01-14-2019 07:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by miami_fan (Post 3228642)
Not to bring politics in the NFL thread but...,

How long after a Saints win on Sunday would a state of emergency be declared for the state of Georgia? Can a wall be built at the Georgia western borders in time for Super Bowl week?

Saints in the Super Bowl in Atlanta should set records for ticket prices on the secondary market.

SackAttack 01-14-2019 10:50 AM

I have a feeling that this is the season the Patriots dynasty ends, as it began: against the Rams.

albionmoonlight 01-14-2019 11:08 AM

Predicting a high of 14 degrees in Arrowhead on Sunday.

stevew 01-14-2019 11:09 AM

Pats vs Saints is a game I have no desire to watch.

Kodos 01-14-2019 11:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stevew (Post 3228661)
Pats vs Saints is a game I have no desire to watch.

Certainly no "good guys" in that situation.

spleen1015 01-14-2019 12:15 PM

How are the Saints the bad guys? Payton? Brees is a stand up individual unlike the devil spawn that Tom Brady is.

Kodos 01-14-2019 12:40 PM

Exactly. Payton is still in place after the bounty thing. That was a never coach again offense in my book.

cuervo72 01-14-2019 01:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SackAttack (Post 3228658)
I have a feeling that this is the season the Patriots dynasty ends, as it began: against the Rams.

That’s one of the angles. The others:

NE/NO: Veteran, future HOF QB
KC/LA: Missouri grudge match
KC/NO: Hank Stram Bowl!

I’m rooting for matriculation.

Kodos 01-14-2019 01:45 PM

KC vs. LA would be good.

albionmoonlight 01-14-2019 02:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cuervo72 (Post 3228679)
That’s one of the angles. The others:

NE/NO: Veteran, future HOF QB
KC/LA: Missouri grudge match
KC/NO: Hank Stram Bowl!

I’m rooting for matriculation.

KC/NO would also be MVP vs. Runner Up.

Young Drachma 01-14-2019 09:12 PM

Will New York Giants opt for a family reunion at QB?

JonInMiddleGA 01-15-2019 10:30 AM

I get being pissed / frustrated / whatever with Cody Parkey because of his kicking woes. Sometimes guys don't get the job done & you have to move on.

Not sure I get why a short appearance on Today was such a big deal. Based on two recaps of the brief discussion that took place I don't think he said anything there that he didn't say -- and receive praise for -- following the game.

If the Bears wanna go a different direction fine by me. But don't generate some phony angst about a TV interview, just say it was because his performance sucked for most of the season.

stevew 01-15-2019 10:58 AM

Parkey for Boswell would be a great shitty kicker trade

miami_fan 01-15-2019 11:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA (Post 3228792)
I get being pissed / frustrated / whatever with Cody Parkey because of his kicking woes. Sometimes guys don't get the job done & you have to move on.

Not sure I get why a short appearance on Today was such a big deal. Based on two recaps of the brief discussion that took place I don't think he said anything there that he didn't say -- and receive praise for -- following the game.

If the Bears wanna go a different direction fine by me. But don't generate some phony angst about a TV interview, just say it was because his performance sucked for most of the season.

Wouldn’t that put the focus on management for keeping a kicker that sucked for most of the season on the roster for the playoffs?

spleen1015 01-15-2019 12:11 PM

Quote:

It's a big deal because he's getting personal attention. Based on what Nagy said that's the problem. It's about the team, not the individual.

rjolley 01-15-2019 12:40 PM

Quote:

I agree. I don't think there needs to be any comment from the Bears' management, even if it's about team vs individual. No Bears fan will be mad if Parkey is cut. Most probably wonder why he's still on the roster and wanted him cut right as the kick clanked off the crossbar. Who's going to be mad if you cut a kicker who's clanked 7 kicks off the uprights including 4 in one game?

Logan 01-15-2019 01:15 PM

Any chance they're trying to set the basis for a "conduct detrimental to the team" type action since he's already guaranteed $3.5MM (or whatever) next season?

BishopMVP 01-17-2019 12:22 PM

The media getting upset about the Patriots (kind of tongue in cheek) playing the disrespect card is equal parts predictable and hilarious. Yes, Vegas and presumably the betting public has always respected them, and I'm sure the Chiefs do too. But when you can't go one regular season loss without the Boston media writing the Patriots dynasty's obituary, or ESPN/NFL Network running graphics that give the Chiefs the edge at head coach, or ones with Dak Prescott ahead of Tom Brady as playoff QB's you want, or about 50% of analyst's thinking the Southern California Chargers were going to come into Foxboro for a 1pm start in 30 degree weather and win, it's obvious where the fuel for that narrative is coming from.

Hopefully both games this weekend live up to their regular season counterparts. Everyone is focusing on the Patriots power running game when they're on O, but trying to predict which aspect the Patriots offense will accentuate for big games is foolish. (I think this was a good article showing some things from the Chargers game they did to get Edelman and White free in space Film Room: New England's Offense | Football Outsiders ) So at the risk of looking dumb I'm predicting a throwback game from Rob Gronkowski. Yes he's a shell of himself as a runner, but I also feel like they've deliberately been underutilizing him as a receiver since the Miami game. Plus even if he plays Eric Berry is really hurt himself with that heel injury.

For the Chiefs on O Kareem Hunt has killed us the last couple seasons, so that's a break there (I also think Ware is slightly worse than the other backs, so hopefully he tries to play ;) ). I think we can slant more resources to Kelce or Watkins and it'll be interesting to see if (and which one) we try to eliminate. As much as preventing Tyreek Hill from home run plays is our other goal I'm not sure there's any personnel or scheme we can do there, and as a fan I'll just have to hope he doesn't end up in space on one of those broken plays Mahomes has excelled at.

Btw if either team gets up early I think this will set the unofficial record for "least confident any fanbase has ever felt during an NFL playoffs game with a double digit lead" :)

JonInMiddleGA 01-17-2019 12:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spleen1015 (Post 3228804)
It's a big deal because he's getting personal attention. Based on what Nagy said that's the problem. It's about the team, not the individual.

Do they answer questions from the media as an 70+ man roster/staff?
Doubtful.

Does the league, or even the team, discourage media cooperation?
In a league that needs all the positive press it can get? Doubtful.

Short of some information that Parkey had his agent reach out to the show & ask for a spot (which seems less likely than the show reaching out to either his agent or the team itself) then Nagy sounded like a f'n idiot with his explanation IMO.

BishopMVP 01-17-2019 12:42 PM

It makes as much sense as the Chiefs putting out a statement saying they released Kareem Hunt not because he hit a woman, but because he misled them about hitting a woman.

NFL coaches & GM's outside of like Belichick and Mike Zimmer love to put their foot in their mouth when they try to explain their actions. He's a kicker, he missed kicks, and the only reason they haven't cut him yet is that he's owed some guaranteed money and the last guy they cut has been great ever since, so they want to wait at least until they have some rookie who looks better in the preseason before making an official decision.

cuervo72 01-17-2019 05:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BishopMVP (Post 3229015)
It makes as much sense as the White House Chiefs putting out a statement saying they released Michael Flynn Kareem Hunt not because he met with Russians hit a woman, but because he misled them about meeting with Russians hitting a woman.

:D

(couldn't resist)

BishopMVP 01-20-2019 05:56 AM

Is there any way like NBA League Pass where you can actually get in stadium footage during halftime? I could not be less interested in hearing studio people preview Chiefs/Patriots, and we're trying to make a side bet on whether Sean Payton let's Teddy Bridgewater or a random backup D lineman go out & dance to Choppa Style. I'm regrettably on the 1/10 side against it happening, but if it does give me Saints -16.5 in the second half.

cuervo72 01-20-2019 03:11 PM

Can someone shut that damned whistle up??

Chief Rum 01-20-2019 03:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cuervo72 (Post 3229200)

I'm in a loud restaurant and can't hear sh**. Sounds like I'm not missing much. My brother tells me Joe Buck is being particularly annoying too.

bhlloy 01-20-2019 03:45 PM

Feels like the Saints should be out of sight by now.

I still don't really understand why teams get caught out by fake punts in those situations - it was pretty clear the game was getting away from the Rams. I'd love to see the numbers on whether setting up for a punt return is even worth it in terms of net yards.

bhlloy 01-20-2019 03:52 PM

DOLA - is it legal for the coaching staff to be making noise with the whistles? That feels like something that if it's not actually illegal is outside the spirit of the rules.

EagleFan 01-20-2019 04:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cuervo72 (Post 3229200)

This. Went to headphones and listening to youtube while watching. Kept waiting to see the ref coming in to end the play for some reason.

bhlloy 01-20-2019 05:00 PM

NFL refereeing continues to plumb new depths. You could have picked three absolutely obvious penalties on that play.

Galaril 01-20-2019 05:00 PM

Wow the refs in this NFC game are shit. Second obvious PI call they missed

kingfc22 01-20-2019 05:00 PM

These officials lack an understanding of letting them play vs. blowing calls.

bhlloy 01-20-2019 05:02 PM

They fired a ref earlier in the season for missing a false start. That referee should be banned from refereeing anything above pee-wee.

AlexB 01-20-2019 05:03 PM

Yeah, that was horrendous

Carman Bulldog 01-20-2019 05:03 PM

That's got to be one of the worst cases of PI that I've ever seen been missed.

I guess it's offset somewhat by the missed facemask on Goff down by the goal line on the last series, which would have given the Rams a new set of downs to score. While I thought it was a fairly clear facemask, it was nowhere near as bad as that PI.

Galaril 01-20-2019 05:04 PM

Wow if the Rams win this ....Lmao the NFL the team gets into the super bowl with all these missed calls yikes.

bhlloy 01-20-2019 05:07 PM

Why take a TO there? That's nonsense, there's 15 seconds on the clock to get back in FG range and you have Brees. Icing the kicker is dodgy science at best.

Chief Rum 01-20-2019 05:13 PM

Even as a Rams fan, that non-PI was BS. I'll take that it was likely short of first down and same result (FG) but that was a really bad non-call.

bhlloy 01-20-2019 05:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chief Rum (Post 3229224)
Even as a Rams fan, that non-PI was BS. I'll take that it was likely short of first down and same result (FG) but that was a really bad non-call.

PI is an automatic first down...

Chief Rum 01-20-2019 05:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bhlloy (Post 3229226)
PI is an automatic first down...

Oh damn you're right. That call.is terrible then

Chief Rum 01-20-2019 05:16 PM

That makes it stupid. Why not turn around and knock the ball down?

Galaril 01-20-2019 05:25 PM

Sorry for the Saints/Drew Bree's and congrats to the refs....um I mean Rams;-)

PilotMan 01-20-2019 05:25 PM

57? Looked like it would have been good from 65 easy, maybe 70.

sabotai 01-20-2019 05:25 PM

On one hand, it's terrible that an obvious DPI goes missed, and most likely cost the Saints the game.

On the other hand, I'm happy that whoever was blowing the fucking whistle during most of the game is now sad.

Thomkal 01-20-2019 05:29 PM

wow I'm not sure I've ever seen such a clear PI not called. Saints should be furious. That 57 yard kick to end the game though-wow it would have been good from 60 I think.

Congrats to the Rams, sorry to the Saints

Carman Bulldog 01-20-2019 05:30 PM

Maybe the Saints fans should have signed the petition as well...

Rams Fans Petition for Ref Change

In all seriousness, the complexion of the game also changes if that obvious face-mask is called at the goal line. There were a lot of missed calls both ways. The two most glaring just happened to be those two PI calls.

Young Drachma 01-20-2019 05:34 PM

Congrats Rams fan.

PilotMan 01-20-2019 05:35 PM

Boooooooooooo NE.

Chief Rum 01-20-2019 05:37 PM

I'm not sure what to say. I acknowledge and am irritated that that PI call happened.

But when that ball sailed through the goal posts, I was so deliriously happy. This team left this frickin' city and I swore off of them. They came back and so did I.

I wasn't old enough to appreciate 1980. As a fan, this is incredible.

But I feel terrible for the Saints and their fans. I like the Saints and Brees and that PI was messed up.

Chief Rum 01-20-2019 05:39 PM

Bucc was a Rams fan I think. If so, I'm sorry he missed this.

Carman Bulldog 01-20-2019 05:48 PM

That missed PI call also gets Payton off the hook for the play-calling at the end there. If they run on 1st down, they could have forced the Rams to use their timeouts and then get the ball with about a minute left and no timeouts. If the Saints run the ball three straight times after the Ginn catch, I'm fairly confident that they win the game.

bhlloy 01-20-2019 05:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Carman Bulldog (Post 3229239)
That missed PI call also gets Payton off the hook for the play-calling at the end there. If they run on 1st down, they could have forced the Rams to use their timeouts and then get the ball with about a minute left and no timeouts. If the Saints run the ball three straight times after the Ginn catch, I'm fairly confident that they win the game.

Yeah, that plus using the TO and having Kamara run the ball out of the end zone were really bad decisions in the last 2 mins. It actually would have been a lot less than a minute left and no TOs - probably more like 30 or 40 seconds. The throw on first down made zero sense.

cuervo72 01-20-2019 06:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chief Rum (Post 3229238)
Bucc was a Rams fan I think. If so, I'm sorry he missed this.

Yes.

Patriots too.

JPhillips 01-20-2019 06:02 PM

Fucking Patriots are going to win another Super Bowl.

bob 01-20-2019 06:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Carman Bulldog (Post 3229239)

Plus they had the ball first in OT. Terrible non-call but far from the reason they lost

Sweed 01-20-2019 06:16 PM

Rams fan since 1969 and loving this. Was it a bad call? Sure, but there were a lot of others too. I could go back and say the game should be in LA except the Rams got screwed in the first game when they tried a fake FG, made the 1st down, but both the live refs and replay got it wrong. Today Woods took a helmet to helmet shot on a reception on the sidelines, no call. And of course Goff and the no call on the face mask already mentioned.

This stuff happens and it's only a "game changer" because of when it happened. Sucks for the Saints, great for the Rams. Nothing new happening here.

Warhammer 01-20-2019 06:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Galaril (Post 3229229)
Sorry for the Saints/Drew Bree's and congrats to the refs....um I mean Rams;-)

Uh, had the refs not screwed the Rams the first time they played on the call, then on the review, this game would have likely been played in LA.

EDIT: LOL, just saw Sweed’s post.

Thomkal 01-20-2019 06:58 PM

That was a pretty horrible first half from the Chiefs.

Warhammer 01-20-2019 07:00 PM

Plus I’ll echo ChiefRum, I feel bad for Brees, but I love the fact that smug ass Sean Payton lost.

Also, another thought on the no call, the Saints had a 13 point lead at home, and never shut the door on the Rams. There are plenty of reasons why the Saints lost besides the no call.

kingfc22 01-20-2019 08:06 PM

Don’t think he touched it. Also don’t think you can say there is concrete evidence to overturn the call.

Time to put sensors into the ball. Lol.

Butter 01-20-2019 08:10 PM

I hate the Pats but I also think it didn't touch him.