Front Office Football Central

Front Office Football Central (http://forums.operationsports.com/fofc//index.php)
-   Off Topic (http://forums.operationsports.com/fofc//forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   What to Watch Instantly on Netflix? (and now all streaming services) (http://forums.operationsports.com/fofc//showthread.php?t=80004)

Carman Bulldog 08-01-2012 05:39 PM

Because I'm too lazy to look, does it have any of the "ESPN Film's presents...". I caught most of the original 30 for 30 films but missed most of the latter releases.

PilotMan 08-01-2012 06:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Barkeep49 (Post 2695901)
30 for 30 has been added to streaming.

Even if you're not a sportsfan I cannot highly enough recommend Two Escobars. A fantastic fantastic look into Columbia during the height of the Cartel's power.

Other 30 for 30 favorites of mine:
Best That Never Was
Winning Time

Best friggen news of the day.

Sweed 08-04-2012 08:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Barkeep49 (Post 2695901)
30 for 30 has been added to streaming.

Even if you're not a sportsfan I cannot highly enough recommend Two Escobars. A fantastic fantastic look into Columbia during the height of the Cartel's power.

Other 30 for 30 favorites of mine:
Best That Never Was
Winning Time

Awesome, thanks for posting this. I've only seen one or two of these and am very happy to see it come to netflix. Never occurred to me that this is something they would get access too.

I'm a Cubs fan and somehow missed the Bartman one. Can't wait to finally see it.

PilotMan 08-04-2012 08:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sweed (Post 2696879)
I'm a Cubs fan and somehow missed the Bartman one. Can't wait to finally see it.

That was one of the first one's I watched (after Fernandomania), it was really sad.

PilotMan 08-19-2012 10:55 PM

Season 1 of Wilfred

Brilliant!

stevew 08-23-2012 07:15 PM

Bill Burr's "You People are all the Same" is only on Netflix and is really funny.

PilotMan 08-23-2012 07:41 PM

Damn, I just watched Senna, have to agree, one of the better docs around. Very emotional and intense.

Peregrine 09-08-2012 10:04 PM

Have to say watching Jim Hensons The Storyteller series really impressed me - too bad there is only one season but it's really incredible both the quality of the stories and how they are portrayed with the limited 80s special effects. There's also a few episodes of the follow-up, based on Greek myths.

dave731 09-09-2012 09:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peregrine (Post 2712200)
Have to say watching Jim Hensons The Storyteller series really impressed me - too bad there is only one season but it's really incredible both the quality of the stories and how they are portrayed with the limited 80s special effects. There's also a few episodes of the follow-up, based on Greek myths.

I loved these as well...for their time period, they are really well done.

Julio Riddols 09-09-2012 09:31 AM

Apparently Dinosaurs (Not the mama!!) is now streaming on Netflix.

Butter 09-10-2012 06:44 AM

I watched Bellflower this weekend... give it an 8 out of 10.

This is one of those standard 2-guys-preparing-for-the-apocalypse-while-one-of-them-falls-in-love stories. You know the kind. It almost breaks the needle on the "weird-o-meter"... but then the last 30 minutes or so, it comes around to be something a bit more... and it just knocks it out of the park. There is a little bit of time-shifty weirdness, and the end is not exactly what I would call "decipherable"... but that doesn't make it any less fun to watch. Provided you like watching supposed 20-somethings act like completely insane people. If not, you probably want to skip.

stevew 09-13-2012 03:21 PM

Dumb question. I believe the answer is "no," but anyways I was wondering if there was a way to delete viewed history. My daughter has watched many of the Spongebob episodes, but they don't seem to restart at the beginning, causing much rewind drama and anguish. I got her one of those fake roku d-link boxes because I did not put a satellite receiver in her room.

corbes 09-18-2012 07:43 PM

So what's the story with Mad Men? Anyone know when it will be available to watch instantly?

PilotMan 09-18-2012 07:52 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by corbes (Post 2716736)
So what's the story with Mad Men? Anyone know when it will be available to watch instantly?

It is right now.

corbes 09-18-2012 08:15 PM

It's not showing up on my account. Are they making less available to watch instantly if you're on the watch-instantly-only plan?

Honolulu_Blue 09-18-2012 08:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by corbes (Post 2716754)
It's not showing up on my account. Are they making less available to watch instantly if you're on the watch-instantly-only plan?

I've been watch-instantly-only since they changed their policy and "Mad Men" has been in my "que" the whole time. I haven't checked it in a while though...

corbes 09-18-2012 08:24 PM

I'm referring to Season 5. I should have made that clearer. I'm seeing other references now to the fact that Season 5 is available if you sign up for both DVD and streaming service. What horsebleep.

PilotMan 09-18-2012 08:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by corbes (Post 2716761)
I'm referring to Season 5. I should have made that clearer. I'm seeing other references now to the fact that Season 5 is available if you sign up for both DVD and streaming service. What horsebleep.

FWIW, only season's 1-4 show up for me on instant, and I have a 2 at a time sub. So no need to jump to conclusions about it. Best guess is just prior to the start of season 6.

corbes 09-19-2012 08:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PilotMan (Post 2716765)
No need to jump to conclusions about it.

Fair enough.

RainMaker 09-27-2012 04:01 PM

I would highly recommend The League to people here. Kind of a bit like It's Always Sunny. Takes a few episodes to get going but I think hits it's stride around episode 4.

stevew 09-27-2012 04:38 PM

Oh yeah, totally agreed.

panerd 10-01-2012 08:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Butter_of_69 (Post 2712702)
I watched Bellflower this weekend... give it an 8 out of 10.

This is one of those standard 2-guys-preparing-for-the-apocalypse-while-one-of-them-falls-in-love stories. You know the kind. It almost breaks the needle on the "weird-o-meter"... but then the last 30 minutes or so, it comes around to be something a bit more... and it just knocks it out of the park. There is a little bit of time-shifty weirdness, and the end is not exactly what I would call "decipherable"... but that doesn't make it any less fun to watch. Provided you like watching supposed 20-somethings act like completely insane people. If not, you probably want to skip.

I gave this one a shot last night because movies like this are right up my alley. The movie was pretty good but I have to say I am lost on the ending. Were there two different scenerios shown in the end(like watching an alternate ending) or am I just completely lost? It's almost like one of the endings is from his insane "Lord Humungous" mind and the other is what really happened.

Butter 10-01-2012 09:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by panerd (Post 2722493)
I gave this one a shot last night because movies like this are right up my alley. The movie was pretty good but I have to say I am lost on the ending. Were there two different scenerios shown in the end(like watching an alternate ending) or am I just completely lost? It's almost like one of the endings is from his insane "Lord Humungous" mind and the other is what really happened.

As I said... I couldn't really figure it out. It seemed like the end part with the girl was where he was completely detached from reality, so I do think there was some sort of "alternate reality" going on there.

Julio Riddols 10-02-2012 04:41 PM

Freaks and Geeks is now on instant play. Can't believe that show didn't last longer.

Tigercat 10-02-2012 05:24 PM

If you are inclined to watch any nature, history, or geography based shows I encourage you to search for National Geographic and check out how many specials they have on there now. They recently added a LOT of great ones. The best thing about it is how large the catalog is on Netflix now, making it easy to find something that interests.

rowech 10-02-2012 05:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Julio Riddols (Post 2723163)
Freaks and Geeks is now on instant play. Can't believe that show didn't last longer.

To me, that show not making it is the single dumbest decision in the history of TV.

larrymcg421 10-02-2012 05:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Julio Riddols (Post 2723163)

Undeclared, another Judd Apatow show with some of the same people, has also been added to instant viewing. That was horribly treated by the network as well.

Matthean 10-02-2012 08:38 PM

Watching the Halloween episode for Freaks and Geeks should really be an annual tradition.

Daimyo 10-03-2012 01:48 AM

I watched Outsourced (the movie, not the TV show) on Netflix this week and thought it was pretty good. I'd never heard about it before, but apparently it was the inspiration for the NBC sitcom from last year. The movie is so much better.

Critch 10-03-2012 10:53 AM

Amores Perros - Three stories from Mexico City that come together.

It's not a happy movie so dont watch if you're looking for laughs, dont like subtitles, or are offended by dog fighting. But it's a great movie.

LloydLungs 10-03-2012 01:01 PM

I'm just finishing up "Durham County" (three 6-episode seasons), an extremely dark Canadian crime drama. The first season is tremendous. Great television -- creepy, albeit sometimes pointlessly creepy for the sake of being creepy, but very well done. Outstanding acting in this series, particularly from Justin Louis as serial killer Ray Prager.

Second and third seasons are still pretty good but it drops off somewhat.

Not sure I've seen anything so relentlessly grim, though. I need to follow this up with something cheerier, like maybe Schindler's List or the Zapruder film.

Glengoyne 11-19-2012 09:49 PM

Anybody else watching 'Once Upon a Time'? I've been really impressed with season one on Netflix, so much that I'm now DVRing season two as it airs.

It has been really surprisingly good. A novel concept, executed very well. Dare I say it, but OnceUpon a Time is good TV

dave731 11-20-2012 04:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Glengoyne (Post 2745414)
Anybody else watching 'Once Upon a Time'? I've been really impressed with season one on Netflix, so much that I'm now DVRing season two as it airs.

It has been really surprisingly good. A novel concept, executed very well. Dare I say it, but OnceUpon a Time is good TV

I watched an episode of it one day and ended up watching the whole season over the course of the next week and a half. I love the show and how they have done things.

IlliniCub 11-20-2012 09:38 PM

Thanks for the Durham county recommendation. Started it last night when you suggested it and am on the last episode of season 1 now. Very grim and such an amazing atmosphere.

cougarfreak 12-05-2012 07:29 PM

For those of you with kids, Netflix just signed a huge deal with Disney. A lot of the older Disney content is available, along with other movies/shows to be rolling out. Major game changer.

Matthean 12-05-2012 07:44 PM

Netflix signed a deal with Disney. The benefit of the deal will actually take time to kick in, but it is still a boon.

Mizzou B-ball fan 12-05-2012 08:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cougarfreak (Post 2752468)
For those of you with kids, Netflix just signed a huge deal with Disney. A lot of the older Disney content is available, along with other movies/shows to be rolling out. Major game changer.

It's already a great deal if you have kids with the $7.99 streaming option. With Disney added, it's an absolute no-brainer.

terpkristin 12-05-2012 09:25 PM

So does the Disney deal imply that Netflix will be streaming the Star Wars franchise stuff, once the new stuff comes out (and possibly the old)?

/tk

cougarfreak 12-06-2012 07:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by terpkristin (Post 2752512)
So does the Disney deal imply that Netflix will be streaming the Star Wars franchise stuff, once the new stuff comes out (and possibly the old)?

/tk

They did specifically mention that in one of the articles I read.

Matthean 12-06-2012 08:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by terpkristin (Post 2752512)

/tk

See my previous comment about it taking time for the good stuff.

Quote:

Disney has signed a deal with Netflix to allow exclusive streaming of their movies. It will start out shitty, with only direct-to-video movies streaming beginning in 2013. We will have to wait until 2016 to get theatrical releases into the mix, but those releases will be from Disney, Walt Disney Animation Studios, Pixar Animation Studios, Marvel Studios and Disneynature. So this is actually not helpful at all.
Read more at I Like To Do Drawrings: Animated Film News

Subby 12-06-2012 12:57 PM

Very excited about Last of the Mohicans and Apocalypse Now.

Netflix New Releases for December 4th, 2012

Here are some interesting streaming releases from the past week: Young Adult, Whale Wars (new season), Vanilla Sky, Stake Land, Scream, Sexy Beast, S.W.A.T., Red Dawn, The Presidio, The Last of the Mohicans, Kung Fu Panda: Holiday, The English Patient, Commando, Batman: The Movie, Apocalypse Now, and Half Baked.

Matthean 12-06-2012 12:59 PM

At least Red Dawn is the good version.

Honolulu_Blue 12-06-2012 01:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Subby (Post 2752833)
Very excited about Last of the Mohicans and Apocalypse Now.

Netflix New Releases for December 4th, 2012

Here are some interesting streaming releases from the past week: Young Adult, Whale Wars (new season), Vanilla Sky, Stake Land, Scream, Sexy Beast, S.W.A.T., Red Dawn, The Presidio, The Last of the Mohicans, Kung Fu Panda: Holiday, The English Patient, Commando, Batman: The Movie, Apocalypse Now, and Half Baked.

I've been wanting to see "Stake Land" for a while now.

stevew 12-06-2012 02:52 PM

Young Adult is pretty freaking good.

CraigSca 12-06-2012 03:32 PM

Is this accurate? I watched part of Vanilla Sky and Red Dawn on Netflix streaming a few weeks ago. I could have sworn I saw Last of the Mohicans available, too.

Edit: just looked at my history and I watched Vanilla Sky on 9/14 and Red Dawn on 7/9. I wonder if they often recycle "new" releases?

A-Husker-4-Life 12-06-2012 04:08 PM

Todd & the Book of Pure Evil..

It's a cross between Evil Dead and a High School Drama. It's a fun show to watch.

Honolulu_Blue 12-06-2012 04:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stevew (Post 2752897)
Young Adult is pretty freaking good.

I really wanted to like this movie. A great cast, but at the end of it, I realized that I had just spent an hour and a half watching a horrible person acting horrible without any kind of self-realization or anything. The main character was completely unredeeming and not in a very entertaining or charming way (say, like a character from Seinfeld or something). She started horrible and self-centered and stayed that way. When the movie ended I was just glad that I didn't have to be in her presence any longer. Not even the fact that she was Charlize Theron could save her. (And that's saying a lot.)

stevew 12-06-2012 04:17 PM

I was more into Patton Oswalt's peformance I guess. :shrug. I thought he was pretty awesome in the movie.

Honolulu_Blue 12-06-2012 04:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stevew (Post 2752927)
I was more into Patton Oswalt's peformance I guess. :shrug. I thought he was pretty awesome in the movie.

I thought he was great too, which just made me all the more irritated at Charlize.

PilotMan 12-06-2012 07:22 PM

If you need your Uwe Boll, video game movie fix, Far Cry is also available today.