Front Office Football Central

Front Office Football Central (http://forums.operationsports.com/fofc//index.php)
-   Off Topic (http://forums.operationsports.com/fofc//forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   NFL 2018 Season Thread (http://forums.operationsports.com/fofc//showthread.php?t=95359)

molson 11-19-2018 04:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Butter (Post 3223823)
Are we just ignoring this? It's a masterpiece of bot-dom.

I used Google to translate that post from English to Vietnamese, and then to Bulgarian, and then back to English, and I got this:

They hit the stadium and they know how to beat the two dushi. You will be asked by Khulio for the third time, which will be followed by both the TE and the FB, which will be followed by the health and well-being of the pre-trained person. polouvatat. I love to see you do not hang out in the countryside

cuervo72 11-19-2018 04:25 PM

I reported it to Ben, but guess he didn't check it out. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

sabotai 11-19-2018 04:28 PM

English -> Scots Gaelic -> Portuguese -> Javanese -> English

"Everyone knew where the two toys were going. You take Julio away from the position three times, and every one (TEC) will be very tight and FB and will quickly and quickly and will do the piece of music. It's good to see that he does not wear anything late in the winter and the winter is over."

cuervo72 11-19-2018 05:14 PM

Butt fumble.

Butt fumble!!

Butter 11-19-2018 10:24 PM

Hey guys did you know tonight's game is amazing?

How about if a TV guy yells about it every play? Less or more amazing?

Warhammer 11-19-2018 10:35 PM

I like Booger, Whitten needs to relax, and the third guy needs to shut the hell up.

Warhammer 11-19-2018 10:46 PM

They scored too soon...

hoopsguy 11-19-2018 10:48 PM

Yep, just when I thought 52 points was going to be enough the Rams left them 1:49.

EagleFan 11-19-2018 10:52 PM

I know his arm was hit but what was he seeing on that throw. It looked like there were 4 Rams around 1 receiver in that area.

EagleFan 11-19-2018 10:53 PM

Didn't that receiver go out of bounds?

Butter 11-19-2018 10:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EagleFan (Post 3223872)
Didn't that receiver go out of bounds?

Yeah, but when you're so busy yelling about everything who has time for facts or rules

EagleFan 11-19-2018 10:59 PM

Great defensive battle. ;)

RainMaker 11-19-2018 11:01 PM

That's a fun game.

cartman 11-19-2018 11:01 PM

I didn’t realize the Big 12 started playing on Monday nights.

Ksyrup 11-20-2018 06:08 AM

I'm not sure what this means, but it's kinda crazy. If there's holding on virtually every play... either the Cowboys suck at making it obvious they are being held or they are REALLY unlucky.

weegeebored 11-20-2018 06:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cartman (Post 3223877)
I didn’t realize the Big 12 started playing on Monday nights.

It was an Arena League pre-season game.

jbergey22 11-20-2018 07:12 AM

Yup, people think of great offense as great football. Where as great defense is bad football or sloppy offense. I did enjoy the game however. Mahomes(despite the turnovers) is wise beyond his years. I have a very hard time seeing either of them two teams winning a Super Bowl playing defense like that however. The Chiefs are understandable but the Rams have great defensive talent so it is hard to explain their defensive lapses this year.

Kodos 11-20-2018 07:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Butter (Post 3223865)
Hey guys did you know tonight's game is amazing?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Warhammer (Post 3223868)
I like Booger, Whitten needs to relax, and the third guy needs to shut the hell up.

I hate the entire Monday night team. I long for the days with Al Michaels. Or heck, even Jon Gruden.

Ksyrup 11-20-2018 09:34 AM

I like Tess, but he's way more obnoxious in an NFL setting than college. Witten is terrible. Booger is the type of talking head who we need less of, not more. I could see him being the next opponent for Stephen A. or that other jerk on Fox who I can't remember (and that makes me gloriously happy).

albionmoonlight 11-20-2018 10:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Butter (Post 3223865)

Less. Definitely less.

Lathum 11-20-2018 12:21 PM

Reading twitter it’s as if some people would rather have their team be 9-7 but play “hard nose, defense wins titles” football than be 10-1 and have every week be a track meet.

Ksyrup 11-20-2018 12:28 PM

I would say that's probably because historically, teams needed to be good defensively to win (so it wouldn't follow that being able to play D would equate to a 9-7 record), and that it's also largely a negative response to the way football is changing in general. All of this extra offense is a result of many changes to the way the game is officiated, which smart offensive coaches are able to take advantage of.

albionmoonlight 11-20-2018 12:53 PM

Football is different now than it was even three years ago. And nothing about the change feels temporary. Barring a rule-change to help defenses and/or handicap the passing game, I think that there will be a permanent class of 5-10 teams with a coach/QB combo that will allow them to run super-offenses.

You had the occasional team that could put it all together (99 Rams, 07 Pats, 09 Saints, Manning Broncos, etc) and look unstoppable. But this feels different. It is a schematic change that some coaches/Qbs have mastered.

The great defense + running game model that we all grew up with simply isn't going to cut it anymore over the long term.

JonInMiddleGA 11-20-2018 01:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by albionmoonlight (Post 3223913)
Football is different now than it was even three years ago. And nothing about the change feels temporary. .

When a 20 y/o looks at me last night & says "whatever that was, it isn't football", you know it's pretty dramatic. And that was with only following it via social media.

Worked out well for his fantasy team (he had Tyreek) but that's about it.

Danny 11-21-2018 01:25 AM

I'd like to see rules tweaked to allow coverage players to be more physical. Should help shift it a bit back to defense while not making the game less safe

miami_fan 11-21-2018 09:38 AM

I don’t mind the way the game is being played by the Rams, Saints and Chiefs. I am just less impressed by those offenses than I am by the 99 Rams, 07 Patriots, and even the Oilers run and shoot offenses. The two sides of the ball seemed to be on more even terms rules-wise “back in the day.”

Side note: Remember when the run and shoot was a gimmick and not real NFL football. Fun times.

I feel like the great offenses of the past took advantage of flaws in the defenses they faced. I feel like the offenses of today are taking advantage of rules that restrict what the defense can do. So when I say I want to see more “hard nosed” defenses, I just want a more even playing field for both sides of the ball.

bhlloy 11-21-2018 10:32 AM

Yeah, at first my answer to that question was that there have always been innovative offenses but the more I think about it, the more I think the last few answers are right. It does feel like with the emphasis on offense and the new rules that it's a different game now.

The Rams are just a really good team all around but I think the Chiefs have the template down - get a mobile QB with a really strong arm and just have speed mismatches all over the field and with the new rules there's really no way these DBs can possibly slow them down. It's probably not a template that all 30 teams in the league can replicate because of talent issues, but I do think the concept of 5-10 teams being super offenses is definitely reachable. Ironically the Browns might be the next one as I think Mayfield probably fits somewhere in between the Brees/Mahomes mold.

stevew 11-23-2018 10:40 AM

So that Stafford pick yesterday had to result in some horrific Thanksgiving table talk around Detroit. That was horrible.

kingfc22 11-25-2018 12:54 AM

Reuben Foster arrested 12 hours before game time.

Time to cut him and move on.

NobodyHere 11-25-2018 10:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kingfc22 (Post 3224263)
Reuben Foster arrested 12 hours before game time.

Time to cut him and move on.

And he's gone!

PilotMan 11-25-2018 01:12 PM

Mayfield looking good against the beat up Bengals secondary today. Damn.

Lathum 11-25-2018 01:15 PM

Anyone who says the Giants shouldn't have taken Barkley just isn't paying attention.

Lathum 11-25-2018 01:27 PM

Bottlegate on Twitter: "Build Damarious Randall a statue today for handing Hue the INT ball… "

NobodyHere 11-25-2018 03:44 PM

Why did the Lions get rid of Eric Ebron again?

thesloppy 11-25-2018 04:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NobodyHere (Post 3224297)
Why did the Lions get rid of Eric Ebron again?

I think any Lions fan could see this coming. I recently read an article where Ebron detailed the whole process, and he really had to have that moment of disbelief that he was cut by the Lions in order to fully dedicate himself to football.....and for whatever reason, that was never going to happen to Detroit, no matter what the coaches said, no matter (or perhaps in spite of) how much he was booed by the fans, he was never going to get to 100% commitment in that environment, regardless of anything done on the Lions end. And yet you could also see that as soon as he made that commitment he would probably fulfill all of the expectations that made him a disappointment in DET.

cuervo72 11-25-2018 04:19 PM

So, see also: Carter, Cris.

thesloppy 11-25-2018 04:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cuervo72 (Post 3224303)
So, see also: Carter, Cris.

That seems like a pretty good comparison.

NobodyHere 11-25-2018 06:25 PM

And the Colts are still in the running for the playoffs.

Thomkal 11-25-2018 08:01 PM

This season can't be over soon enough for my fellow Cards fans. A nice start to the game, but then a pretty humiliating end. Hard to see where they can keep the head coach if this season is going to be the norm for him as a coach.

Atocep 11-25-2018 08:01 PM

We need more Dalvin Cook TD celebrations.

bhlloy 11-25-2018 10:34 PM

The rule changes to the onside kick have basically made coming back from less than two scores with a few minutes left impossible. I guess you keep on doing them and hoping, but have there been any successful this year at all?

JonInMiddleGA 11-25-2018 10:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bhlloy (Post 3224338)
The rule changes to the onside kick have basically made coming back from less than two scores with a few minutes left impossible. I guess you keep on doing them and hoping, but have there been any successful this year at all?

Going into this weekend, 3 of 34 tries (8%), about 1/3rd the rate of last season and about half the rate over the last decade.

https://www.apnews.com/a8e1a1c67f1e49088c77e9caf1afb311

Ksyrup 11-26-2018 06:29 AM

Seems like a better strategy to try would be to kick a liner as hard as possible right at someone and hope it bounces back, or at least creates a free-for-all for the ball. Pooch kicks probably are the next option, although getting it just right would be extremely difficult - high enough to give your team time to get there, but not high enough to allow a fair catch.

sabotai 11-26-2018 02:14 PM

I've seen several attempts to pooch kick it this year, but so far they've all failed and haven't been close.

bhlloy 11-26-2018 03:00 PM

To be fair none of the ones I have seen have been remotely close, pooch kick or not.

I wonder if there’s not a strategy that involves the kicker scooping th ball as high as he possibly can into the air. It might be fun to see how quickly that one would get banned in the name of safety.

CU Tiger 11-26-2018 04:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bhlloy (Post 3224379)
To be fair none of the ones I have seen have been remotely close, pooch kick or not.

I wonder if there’s not a strategy that involves the kicker scooping th ball as high as he possibly can into the air. It might be fun to see how quickly that one would get banned in the name of safety.

Return team just calls a fair catch

thesloppy 11-26-2018 05:09 PM

Lions put Marvin Jones on IR, just a couple weeks after trading away Golden Tate, and Kerryon Johnson still week-to-week as well, as the Lions have gone from having an ostensibly potent offense to an empty cupboard, REAL quick.

bhlloy 11-26-2018 09:40 PM

Having your TE single blocking on JJ Watt seems like a novel way to lose a football game

CU Tiger 11-29-2018 09:40 PM

Im not suggestimh they are all bad calls or any conspiracy BS...

But has there ever been a game where during a comeback 6 first downs are awarded in 2 drives on penalties....I'm just shocked at some point the refs fomtnjust eat their flag

bhlloy 11-29-2018 09:42 PM

There are some horrible fucking drive extending penalties in this game on both teams. If you told me the NFL just couldn’t handle having no offense in a prime time game they’ve hyped for weeks as an offensive showcase and called it down to the refs, I’m not sure I wouldn’t believe you.