Front Office Football Central

Front Office Football Central (http://forums.operationsports.com/fofc//index.php)
-   Off Topic (http://forums.operationsports.com/fofc//forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Random Thoughts That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Go Here (http://forums.operationsports.com/fofc//showthread.php?t=77784)

Mustang 07-12-2010 03:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JediKooter (Post 2318613)
People are probably gun shy now.

The terrorists have won.

JediKooter 07-12-2010 03:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mustang (Post 2318764)
The terrorists have won.

They've infiltrated our imagination.

Scoobz0202 07-12-2010 05:01 PM

Mad Men. July 25th. Can't Fuckin' Wait.

Radii 07-12-2010 05:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scoobz0202 (Post 2318836)
Mad Men. July 25th. Can't Fuckin' Wait.

I'm halfway through season 1. Gonna try to power through it to get caught up for the new season.

Scoobz0202 07-13-2010 01:54 PM

Is the forum running slow as shit for anybody else? Is it because OS is getting slammed because of NCAA 11?

Or is it just me?

JediKooter 07-13-2010 04:55 PM

Couldn't get on here for about an hour or so. All seems fine now. They must have switched out the gerbils.

Sun Tzu 07-13-2010 05:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JediKooter (Post 2319414)
Couldn't get on here for about an hour or so. All seems fine now. They must have switched out the gerbils.

this

JediKooter 07-13-2010 06:59 PM

I really hate when dinning places try to get 'fancy' with the food they serve. Look, all I want is a burger. No, I don't want the cilantro/pineapple/yogurt spread on it. I want chicken. No, I don't want the spicy cranberry sauce on it and don't give me a funny look when I say I don't want it on there. I just think it's sad when places like that put style over quality and taste. It's food, not a work of art.

terpkristin 07-13-2010 07:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JediKooter (Post 2319491)
I really hate when dinning places try to get 'fancy' with the food they serve. Look, all I want is a burger. No, I don't want the cilantro/pineapple/yogurt spread on it. I want chicken. No, I don't want the spicy cranberry sauce on it and don't give me a funny look when I say I don't want it on there. I just think it's sad when places like that put style over quality and taste. It's food, not a work of art.

What kind of places are you talking about? Like Fridays and Applebees? Because when I go to a restaurant that I know is more upscale, I've found that those enhancements don't just add style, they add flavor.

/tk

thesloppy 07-13-2010 07:08 PM

Yeah, I'm on both sides of that coin....I don't want anything fancy, or any kind of 'sauce' on my burger, but I never want 'just chicken'.

Greyroofoo 07-13-2010 07:10 PM

If I'm paying $10+ for a meal they better fancy it up.

Sun Tzu 07-13-2010 07:13 PM

I love brats.

JediKooter 07-13-2010 07:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by terpkristin (Post 2319495)
What kind of places are you talking about? Like Fridays and Applebees? Because when I go to a restaurant that I know is more upscale, I've found that those enhancements don't just add style, they add flavor.

/tk

No, sorry, should have specified. The cafeteria here at work. I don't know if it's because we are in the bay area and the quirk in quirkiness is magnified 20 thousands times than what it normally would be anywhere else or they are just trying too hard.

Here's an example from our online menu:

Luncheon Grill
Grilled Niman Ranch Pork Burgers with Cherry BBQ Sauce, Creamy Icebox Slaw and Sweet Potato Fries

Cherry BBQ sauce??? WTF?????

Bad-example 07-13-2010 07:59 PM

The assholes at that creditreportdotcom site are prepping to unleash a new wave of musical commercials upon the nation. Won't somebody please step up and assassinate the people responsible?

Passacaglia 07-14-2010 05:19 AM

Heh, I actually bought a jar of cranberry BBQ sauce at this place I had breakfast last Saturday -- going to try it on the grill this Sunday with some chicken.

sterlingice 07-14-2010 12:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sun Tzu (Post 2318727)
100% of the time that I see "I. J. Reilly" on this board, I read it as "I. P. Freely"

Quote:

Originally Posted by JediKooter (Post 2319414)

Both of these made me go :D

SI

Mustang 07-14-2010 02:42 PM

You'd love our cafeteria. The healthy choice menu option is usually a piece of pasty white boiled chicken and some type of bland looking vegetable.

DataKing 07-14-2010 02:52 PM

Someone working in our cafeteria has a Mango Chutney fetish.

molson 07-14-2010 02:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bad-example (Post 2319532)
The assholes at that creditreportdotcom site are prepping to unleash a new wave of musical commercials upon the nation. Won't somebody please step up and assassinate the people responsible?

I don't see how they expect to improve upon the perfection of the previous jingle.

Honolulu_Blue 07-14-2010 02:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DataKing (Post 2319977)
Someone working in our cafeteria has a Mango Chutney fetish.

I like Mango Chutney. That said, I OD'd on the stuff sometime back in 2003 or 2004. I couldn't eat it again for another 5 years or so.

Swaggs 07-14-2010 03:19 PM

Everytime I see someone of facebook that has a joint account with their spouse, it makes me wonder what kind of maritial trouble they have.

Is that wrong?

sabotai 07-14-2010 09:55 PM

Migraines = not fun.

JS19 07-14-2010 10:11 PM

Got back into competitive baseball again this yr for the first time in about 3 yrs. I've never been more frustrated in my life. Swing looks and feels as great as ever, but my timing is way off and I can't do anything about it. I know my timing is off, I know how to fix it (or at least I thought I did), being that I had a similar problem on my Legion team yrs ago, but I just can't figure it out this time. I try letting the ball get deeper in the zone, but I'm so worried about the timing I let it get too deep and either can't catch up or foul it off. Now I'm worried about it getting too deep, I overcompensate and swing way too early. Completely random and meaningless, but my frustration has reached the point I needed to vent.

Greyroofoo 07-15-2010 12:39 AM

Pink Floyd fans rejoice!

Roger Waters is taking 'The Wall' on tour this fall and has said that David Gilmour will be joining in on Comfortably Numb in one of the shows!

JediKooter 07-15-2010 10:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JS19 (Post 2320230)
Got back into competitive baseball again this yr for the first time in about 3 yrs. I've never been more frustrated in my life. Swing looks and feels as great as ever, but my timing is way off and I can't do anything about it. I know my timing is off, I know how to fix it (or at least I thought I did), being that I had a similar problem on my Legion team yrs ago, but I just can't figure it out this time. I try letting the ball get deeper in the zone, but I'm so worried about the timing I let it get too deep and either can't catch up or foul it off. Now I'm worried about it getting too deep, I overcompensate and swing way too early. Completely random and meaningless, but my frustration has reached the point I needed to vent.

Get all the way back in the batter's box, use a much lighter bat, open up your stance a little bit and choke up. Once you've got that, move up to a slightly heavier bat and then eventually you will be back to your old self. Oh and hit the cages!!!! :D

Honolulu_Blue 07-15-2010 10:58 AM

I went out to dinner last night and Mitch Albom was at the table right behind me.

Swaggs 07-15-2010 11:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JS19 (Post 2320230)

It always helped me to use a check swing to get my timing back down. Start out, at the cages (where the pitch location will be relatively consistent) by just holding the bat out to make contact for a few pitches. Then, work into a check swing into that location and then finally begin swinging through. If they have different speeds, I'd work my way up by beginning with something slow or moderate.

I. J. Reilly 07-15-2010 12:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue (Post 2320549)
I went out to dinner last night and Mitch Albom was at the table right behind me.

Which brings up the age old question; when is it socially acceptable to punch someone sitting in a booster seat?

Tigercat 07-15-2010 01:06 PM

Four girls I dated seriously in the past have gotten married just in this year. This week a girl I worked with and thought I had chemistry with announced she was engaged to a long distance boyfriend no one knew about. I am starting to get worried that I have the magic touch that turns all women I know into married women.

cuervo72 07-15-2010 01:07 PM

Better than the touch that turns them lesbian.

Sun Tzu 07-15-2010 01:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Greyroofoo (Post 2320279)
Pink Floyd fans rejoice!

Roger Waters is taking 'The Wall' on tour this fall and has said that David Gilmour will be joining in on Comfortably Numb in one of the shows!

w00t!

ISiddiqui 07-15-2010 01:19 PM

Speaking of marriages, is there anything more nerve racking than deciding on the proper time to ask your girlfriend's father for his blessing over your proposal? Especially when your girlfriend is currently living at home...

Though, at least, the girlfriend has said it doesn't matter if he gives his blessing or not (it'll just make it awkward if he doesn't or waffles on it and then the proposal is done).

JediKooter 07-15-2010 01:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ISiddiqui (Post 2320611)
Speaking of marriages, is there anything more nerve racking than deciding on the proper time to ask your girlfriend's father for his blessing over your proposal? Especially when your girlfriend is currently living at home...

Though, at least, the girlfriend has said it doesn't matter if he gives his blessing or not (it'll just make it awkward if he doesn't or waffles on it and then the proposal is done).

Just take him out and get him drunk. At that point you don't even have to ask him, you just say, "Remember when I asked you the other night if I could marry your daughter and you said what took me so long?"... Problem solved. :D

DaddyTorgo 07-15-2010 01:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tigercat (Post 2320597)
Four girls I dated seriously in the past have gotten married just in this year. This week a girl I worked with and thought I had chemistry with announced she was engaged to a long distance boyfriend no one knew about. I am starting to get worried that I have the magic touch that turns all women I know into married women.

Good Luck Chuck!!

DaddyTorgo 07-15-2010 01:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ISiddiqui (Post 2320611)

Wait a second - you're planning on marrying this chicky?? :eek:

Sun Tzu 07-15-2010 01:26 PM

I asked afterward...

ISiddiqui 07-15-2010 01:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sun Tzu (Post 2320618)
I asked afterward...

Was originally the plan, but then her mom (who is all in favor of this) mentioned that her dad would probably be pissy if he wasn't asked beforehand. And if she didn't live at home, I'd probably do it afterwards regardless.

ISiddiqui 07-15-2010 01:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo (Post 2320617)
Wait a second - you're planning on marrying this chicky?? :eek:

Yis... why the shock?

JediKooter 07-15-2010 01:33 PM

I'm still waiting on my refund from my marriage.

Tigercat 07-15-2010 01:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo (Post 2320616)
Good Luck Chuck!!

Heh, yea it does remind me a bit of that movie. Only differences, I sadly don't look as good as Dane Cook, it isn't happening as a result of me sleeping with a variety of women, and I somehow doubt I will stumble into a Jessica Alba lookalike.

Although if I ever did stumble into a quirky, good hearted Jessica Alba lookalike, I could probably stuff a lifetime of women problems into the attic and call it a day.

On the bright side I don't have an unfunny sidekick like the guy from that movie.

sabotai 07-15-2010 01:36 PM

Am I the only one that thinks asking a father for permission to ask their daughter for her hand in marriage is really weird? People still do that? Seems pretty archaic to me.

DaddyTorgo 07-15-2010 01:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ISiddiqui (Post 2320624)
Yis... why the shock?

Just mock-shock. Being silly.

Tigercat 07-15-2010 01:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sabotai (Post 2320630)
Am I the only one that thinks asking a father for permission to ask their daughter for her hand in marriage is really weird? People still do that? Seems pretty archaic to me.

That was my first thought as well, but if sounds like that's what the family wants, so I could understand going through with it.

DaddyTorgo 07-15-2010 01:40 PM

Quote:

I have no personal experience with this, but I know that my brother-in-law asked my father before proposing to my sister. Of course this was after he knocked her up. And the wedding didn't happen until after she was pregnant a second time.

JediKooter 07-15-2010 01:41 PM

Quote:

Nope. You are definitely not the only one and yes, it is archaic. The funny little things you do for love though. :)

ISiddiqui 07-15-2010 01:41 PM

Quote:

THIS!!

I'm somewhat peeved I'm supposed to do this. I find it highly mysogynistic.

Funny thing was originally the girlfriend didn't want me to ask because she wanted it to be a surprised, and she's very good at picking up differences in body language and stuff to figure out what's going on. But then there was this grumbling about the dad wanted to be asked and here I am... grumble.

stevew 07-15-2010 02:13 PM

approach the situation like you are curious what the dowry for taking his daughter off of his hands is.

Swaggs 07-15-2010 02:14 PM

Unless you are going for a complete blindside proposal (ie: you have never talked to your significant other about marriage), I would just see what she prefers and go for that.

My wife did not want me to ask her dad's permission, so I didn't. We just made an announcement that we were engaged and getting married. I'm pretty sure that he didn't care, but I think her mother would have liked for me to ask permission. In any case, my wife didn't want me to ask and, in the end, she is the one that I have to live with and keep happy.

Sun Tzu 07-15-2010 02:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stevew (Post 2320647)
approach the situation like you are curious what the dowry for taking his daughter off of his hands is.

+1