Front Office Football Central

Front Office Football Central (http://forums.operationsports.com/fofc//index.php)
-   Off Topic (http://forums.operationsports.com/fofc//forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Neat iPhone apps (http://forums.operationsports.com/fofc//showthread.php?t=73454)

Groundhog 04-07-2010 11:13 PM

Tilt to Live is far-and-away the best game I've played on the iPhone.

Glengoyne 04-08-2010 01:00 AM

I just happened across Battle of Wesnoth. There are a number of Wesnoth fans around these parts. I haven't even played yet, just downloaded.

Antmeister 04-13-2010 04:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Glengoyne (Post 2260671)
I just happened across Battle of Wesnoth. There are a number of Wesnoth fans around these parts. I haven't even played yet, just downloaded.

Got that one when it was on sale for 99 cents. It's pretty much the same as the same as the desktop version (which is good). In the last update, they finally made it more user friendly because the buttons were way too small for a portable device. Very good strategy/RPG.

I guess I better update my apps of ones I have been making a lot of use of lately:

Instantwatcher (yes I know I recommended this before, but I guess I need to elobarate on what this is/does): Highly recommend this app if you are always trying to find stuff to watch on Netflix Instant Watch. It shows you new movies/shows that came out, which are the most popular, which are highly rated and which are about to expire. Plus you can filter out results by their rating, if they are family friendly and if you want to see only movies or TV shows. Once you find the show you like, just add it to your queue for later viewing.

Dropbox: Very, very, cool app. You can install this program on your PC and a variety of other mobile devices and sync all the files you place in the drop box. It works by sending your files online to an account that you sign up for. There is basically a 2 gigabyte limit for free. Lorena uses it to send me and my family members the latest photos. I use it primarily to share links, files and software that I have to install on other computers. You can set up folders to share with specific people. And it is free.

WootWatch: Well you pretty much have to be a fan of Woot to like this app. Simple and clean interface that displays all the woot related sites.

k0ruptr 04-13-2010 04:33 PM

Zenonia 2 is out and fricken awesome, best action rpg and it works well. check it out.

Daimyo 04-13-2010 04:46 PM

Did you ever play Inotia 2? If so, how does it compare? If you haven't played it, you should try it too.

terpkristin 05-05-2010 04:51 PM

Crush the Castle for iPhone/iPod Touch is free today (5/5/10). It's a fun catapult game where you destroy formations of people/castles. :) I had the Lite version for awhile, but free for the full version was good enough for me to upgrade.

Still playing way too much Sword and Poker, though I wish I could listen to my own music while playing that one. That's the only drawback to it in my opinion.

/tk

Marmel 05-05-2010 10:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by terpkristin (Post 2278317)
Crush the Castle for iPhone/iPod Touch is free today (5/5/10). It's a fun catapult game where you destroy formations of people/castles. :) I had the Lite version for awhile, but free for the full version was good enough for me to upgrade.

/tk

Well, thanks for wasting half of my evening. :D

Raiders Army 05-06-2010 11:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by terpkristin (Post 2278317)
Still playing way too much Sword and Poker, though I wish I could listen to my own music while playing that one. That's the only drawback to it in my opinion.

/tk

Picked up Sword and Poker 2. It's an interesting fun game. Thanks!

Mizzou B-ball fan 05-06-2010 12:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raiders Army (Post 2278665)
Picked up Sword and Poker 2. It's an interesting fun game. Thanks!

Any difference from the first one from a gameplay perspective?

Ramzavail 05-06-2010 09:40 PM

grr i just bought SaP 1, and now theres a 2?

Raiders Army 05-07-2010 05:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan (Post 2278701)
Any difference from the first one from a gameplay perspective?

I don't know. I just got 2 instead of 1.

Marc Vaughan 05-07-2010 07:10 AM

Hopefully you've all noticed Football Manager Handheld by now, if not apologies I should have posted here when it came out (second update for this will be out in the relatively near future also - its in QA now).

Aside from that if you haven't tried Angry Birds obviously please do so - great time waster and the 'Battle for Wesnoth' iPad app rocks also ...

terpkristin 05-07-2010 11:26 AM

Haven't played it yet but Sword and Poker 2 is $1.99 right now, so I bought it. I started it up to try something, one definite improvement is it lets you play your own music in the background. That was a big pet peeve of mine with the original.

/tk

DanGarion 05-07-2010 12:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marc Vaughan (Post 2279223)
Hopefully you've all noticed Football Manager Handheld by now, if not apologies I should have posted here when it came out (second update for this will be out in the relatively near future also - its in QA now).

Aside from that if you haven't tried Angry Birds obviously please do so - great time waster and the 'Battle for Wesnoth' iPad app rocks also ...

Thanks for making an update that finally told me why I couldn't play my game.

Marc Vaughan 05-07-2010 04:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DanGarion (Post 2279456)
Thanks for making an update that finally told me why I couldn't play my game.

Hopefully this means you're now playing? -- if you ever have any issues with a product I've made please PM or email me ([email protected]) and I'll do my utmost to get you up and running asap.

DanGarion 05-07-2010 04:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marc Vaughan (Post 2279566)
Hopefully this means you're now playing? -- if you ever have any issues with a product I've made please PM or email me ([email protected]) and I'll do my utmost to get you up and running asap.

I figured it was just a glitch with the initial release. That's why I waited till the update to see if it continued. Thank Marc! :)

CleBrownsfan 05-12-2010 07:57 AM

I'm looking for an app that I'll be able to use Microsoft's Excel spreadsheet. Anyone have this app or any other app that is compatible with Excel?

lordscarlet 05-12-2010 08:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CleBrownsfan (Post 2281678)
I'm looking for an app that I'll be able to use Microsoft's Excel spreadsheet. Anyone have this app or any other app that is compatible with Excel?

How much do you need it to do? I just use Google Spreadsheets.

CleBrownsfan 05-12-2010 08:38 AM

My work uses excel and I will only need to be able to bring up spreadsheets on the iPhone from my computer. Not to familiar with Google spreadsheets. Can I take a ss from excel and transfer it to Google ss?

Alan T 05-12-2010 08:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CleBrownsfan (Post 2281707)
My work uses excel and I will only need to be able to bring up spreadsheets on the iPhone from my computer. Not to familiar with Google spreadsheets. Can I take a ss from excel and transfer it to Google ss?

You can import an excel spreadsheet to good spreadsheets and as long as it does not have too much fancy, it will open just fine there for you. If this is work related though, you probably should verify that you legally are allowed to do so however. I am not legally allowed to put work proprietary information (such as spreadsheets) on an internet site myself.

samifan24 05-14-2010 10:51 AM

FYI the iPhone and iPad game maker Gameloft is in the midst of a promotion in which they give away one of their games for free during a two hour window every day. Yesterday's game was Real Tennis. It was still free this morning so check it out.

You only have the single two hour window to grab the free game each day so I recommend following Gameloft on Twitter.

Landshark44 05-16-2010 05:05 PM

Tap Fish- Free game where you manage some fishtanks. Buying Fish, Breeding Them, Selling them.......

And then buying better ones.... Sounds dumb, but is quite addicting.....

CleBrownsfan 05-21-2010 08:52 AM

How do you guys transfer photo/video from your Iphone to your PC?

dolfin 05-21-2010 09:51 AM

Either email them or sync with iTunes.

DanGarion 06-07-2010 12:11 PM

Anyone here a iPhone App developer. I'm really interested in getting 4.0 installed on my iPhone early to see if it resolves some glaring issues with my Ford Sync on the truck I just purchased.

terpkristin 06-11-2010 02:03 PM

Stupid question, but I know somebody here will have the answer.
I subscribe to MLB.com audio only. If I want to listen to games via iPod Touch instead of my computer, I have to also buy their $15 app?

/tk

Poli 06-11-2010 02:05 PM

Is there a "Don't get lost in the ocean" app?

lordscarlet 06-11-2010 02:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by terpkristin (Post 2299237)
Stupid question, but I know somebody here will have the answer.
I subscribe to MLB.com audio only. If I want to listen to games via iPod Touch instead of my computer, I have to also buy their $15 app?

/tk

Yes.

JediKooter 06-11-2010 03:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Poli (Post 2299241)

Not sure, but, I can think of at least one person that could use it though.

Glengoyne 06-11-2010 03:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Poli (Post 2299241)

Absolutely. It won't be of much help, if your mast falls down though.

cody8200 06-11-2010 10:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DanGarion (Post 2295684)
Anyone here a iPhone App developer. I'm really interested in getting 4.0 installed on my iPhone early to see if it resolves some glaring issues with my Ford Sync on the truck I just purchased.

Only about another week until the real deal launches. Supposedly it includes a bunch of bug fixes. I am definitely ready to get my hands on it.

BTW, if you guys are looking for some good games - Bird Strike is pretty great. I had a lot of fun with Bowmaster as well.

McSweeny 06-12-2010 08:44 AM

So I finally got around to getting Angry Birds and I've been loving it. Very addicting.

ColtCrazy 06-14-2010 09:02 AM

FIFA 2010 (world cup 2010 I mean) is .99 this weekend. Got it and it seems like a decent game.

I'll have to check out Wesnoth and Football Manager. After that, I should be set for the summer.

ColtCrazy 06-14-2010 10:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brassmonkey32 (Post 2301420)
What is the best Tower Defense game for the Iphone?

I really enjoy:

Plants vs. Zombies
Bloons

and I just downloaded TapDefense. Seems good (it's free) but prefer the others I mentioned above (which aren't free).

Groundhog 06-15-2010 09:28 PM

Oh dear. Vuvuzela apps showing up on the iPhone now. :D

INDalltheway 06-16-2010 07:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Groundhog (Post 2302316)
Oh dear. Vuvuzela apps showing up on the iPhone now. :D

I know what I'm doing at the bar tonight... :D

samifan24 06-21-2010 03:42 PM

A word to anyone upgrading their iPhone 3G or 3GS to the iOS 4 today. I'd recommend doing the required backup and OS install overnight. The backup of my 3G is taking hours and a quick search on Twitter reveals that I'm not alone.

DanGarion 06-21-2010 03:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by samifan24 (Post 2305786)
A word to anyone upgrading their iPhone 3G or 3GS to the iOS 4 today. I'd recommend doing the required backup and OS install overnight. The backup of my 3G is taking hours and a quick search on Twitter reveals that I'm not alone.

Weird, I do backups almost every time I sync my phone. Is iOS4 out today?

samifan24 06-21-2010 03:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DanGarion (Post 2305788)
Weird, I do backups almost every time I sync my phone. Is iOS4 out today?

Yup

k0ruptr 06-21-2010 04:16 PM

I'm sure you already know this, but if you have a jailbreaked iphone you may wanna wait a few days and make sure there is no problems with the jailbreak and iOS 4.0

Vince, Pt. II 06-21-2010 07:25 PM

Didn't see it mentioned, but Carcassone is available for the iPhone, and my roommate and I have been playing a bunch lately. I think it's $5.99.

Heads up, since I didn't realize it - if you do a "Play Now" internet game with a random person, you've got to sit and play the whole thing, or it gives you a loss. Games that you invite others to or are invited to will hang between turns so you don't have to stay there the whole time.

Marmel 06-21-2010 08:00 PM

Here is an odd question.

How do you un-jailbreak your iphone?

Raiders Army 06-21-2010 08:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vince, Pt. II (Post 2305890)
Didn't see it mentioned, but Carcassone is available for the iPhone, and my roommate and I have been playing a bunch lately. I think it's $5.99.

Heads up, since I didn't realize it - if you do a "Play Now" internet game with a random person, you've got to sit and play the whole thing, or it gives you a loss. Games that you invite others to or are invited to will hang between turns so you don't have to stay there the whole time.

Got it, but also got Sudoku 2 at the same time. I play Sudoku 2 a lot more. Maybe it's because I don't get Carcassone.

terpkristin 06-21-2010 08:58 PM

Does Carcassone have a good AI system? I don't have too many friends that are nerdy enough to play Carcassone (and those that are don't have iPhones, they have Android devices). And, really, I'm probably not smart enough to play, but I'd like to try...

/tk

Vince, Pt. II 06-21-2010 09:55 PM

Carcassone has no AI - it's strictly PvP in the traditional sense. They have a solitaire version where you get a tileset in a specific order, and try to score as many points as possible. I'm not too thrilled with the Solitaire, but then again I tend to enjoy playing someone else more naturally. If you aren't going to be able to play versus others much, I'd probably pass if I were you.

Mantle2600 06-21-2010 10:05 PM

It only took me about fifteen minutes to upgrade on my 3gs

PadresFan104 06-21-2010 11:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vince, Pt. II (Post 2306074)
Carcassone has no AI - it's strictly PvP in the traditional sense. They have a solitaire version where you get a tileset in a specific order, and try to score as many points as possible. I'm not too thrilled with the Solitaire, but then again I tend to enjoy playing someone else more naturally. If you aren't going to be able to play versus others much, I'd probably pass if I were you.

Whoa what? That's not right, Carcassone has a really strong AI opponent. Normal Game / Local / New Game then add some computer players... Great, great game!!

Vince, Pt. II 06-22-2010 12:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PadresFan104 (Post 2306122)
Whoa what? That's not right, Carcassone has a really strong AI opponent. Normal Game / Local / New Game then add some computer players... Great, great game!!

You are amazing! I need to play around with my apps some more before I go making broad statements like that.

k0ruptr 06-22-2010 01:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marmel (Post 2305911)
Here is an odd question.

How do you un-jailbreak your iphone?

Just do a restore to an iOS , and then choose the option set up as new phone. you should be fine. I've gone back and forth for a few diff people, even a couple who had to take it back to apple and get it replaced and it was no problem.

PS you don't have to set it up as new phone if your not taking it back to apple, if you are just un jailbreak to un jail break then just a restore should be fine.

lordscarlet 06-22-2010 09:27 AM

Too bad I don't get iOS 4 :(