Front Office Football Central

Front Office Football Central (http://forums.operationsports.com/fofc//index.php)
-   Dynasty Reports (http://forums.operationsports.com/fofc//forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   [SI] Name That Game (http://forums.operationsports.com/fofc//showthread.php?t=39835)

kingfc22 06-15-2005 03:05 PM

ahh crap...I know what game that is now. Slowest football game EVER!!!

TazFTW 06-15-2005 03:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sterlingice
This is why it's the gold game. It looks like Mike Tyson's Punchout but it's not and I figured there was a good chance someone would guess that.

SI

Yeah, I had doubt because I've never seen that fighter before.

MJ4H 06-15-2005 03:23 PM

You know I can name every game there, don't you?

;)

Coffee Warlord 06-15-2005 03:29 PM

Silver 2: Super Dodgeball

edit: I'm pretty sure I know the Gold game, but I'll take the safe bet. :)

Northwood_DK 06-15-2005 03:30 PM

B3 Super Spike V'ball

sterlingice 06-15-2005 03:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MattJones4Heisman
You know I can name every game there, don't you?

;)

I think there are quite a few people who can name all but one of the silvers and the gold. I wouldn't be surprised if those two were still up there at midnight (CST) so that everyone could take another shot at them. Then again, we have some good video game fans here so they could be taken. For the gold one, I'm looking for the complete full name so I think that might take some doing.

SI

sterlingice 06-15-2005 03:33 PM

CW edges out Northwood_DK for Super Dodge Ball. Try not to edit for fear of messing up the clocks- just make another post. Northwood get to make another guess- his wasn't wrong, it was just beaten by a few seconds.

SI

sterlingice 06-15-2005 03:38 PM

Bronze 3 is correct. I was thinking of putting in the other game on that combo cartridge in here but decided not to. One of the few 4-player games for the NES (using the Four Score or Satellite- I think that's what the 4 player adapters were called).

SI

TargetPractice6 06-15-2005 03:58 PM

Freebie 2. NES Play Action football

sterlingice 06-15-2005 04:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TargetPractice6
Freebie 2. NES Play Action football

Yup. Yet another of the few 4-player games for the NES.

SI

ThunderingHERD 06-15-2005 04:11 PM

F1: Tecmo Bowl

Gold: Punch Out featuring Mr. Dream

Blade6119 06-15-2005 04:12 PM

can he go for two in one round? ^^ whether or not its right is neither here nor their

ThunderingHERD 06-15-2005 04:15 PM

I thought the freebie was just to get into the game. I'll edit if it's a problem.

Blade6119 06-15-2005 04:22 PM

im not complaining, just looking for clarification on rules...is your answer different then the punch out already offered and turned down?

ThunderingHERD 06-15-2005 04:26 PM

Yeh, didn't resign Tyson after he started sucking, so threw in Mr. Dream (pictured in the screenshot) to replace him.

sterlingice 06-15-2005 04:35 PM

We've already had this happen once today and yesterday so it would be nice if the rules were read. In fact MJ4H asked for a clarification to make sure just a few posts ago so it should be crystal clear now. Your first day all you can guess is a freebie. Also, if you make more than one guess a day, they are nullified. So, while ThunderingHERD actually did get both the freebie and gold question right. However, in a somewhat punitive "dammit, not only do I have to play rules lawyer I also have to explain the gold answer in the same post" ruling, the two games are taken off the board so no one else can guess (since it'd just be cherry picking) but ThunderingHERD will still have to get a freebie correct some day in the future before doing real ones.

Essentially, what ThunderingHERD said was correct about the distinction between the two games and what TazFTW said was the key. Essentially, after Tyson starts losing (I can't recall if it's before or after the beating accusations that get him sent to jail), Nintendo remakes the game. They take Tyson out and replace him with "Mr Dream", the fighter shown there. He has the same characteristics of Mike Tyson except looks different.

SI

cthomer5000 06-15-2005 04:37 PM

F3: Blades Of Steel

sterlingice 06-15-2005 04:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cthomer5000
F3: Blades Of Steel

One of the two big hockey games for the NES. The other, of course, is "Ice Hockey". I can't wait for the SNES version of this- lots of fun games there. Tho I think the next couple of games will be arcade and pc games so that the non-NES crowd doesn't feel left out.

SI

SirFozzie 06-15-2005 04:41 PM

Silver 1: Track and Field

sterlingice 06-15-2005 05:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SirFozzie
Silver 1: Track and Field

Correct. I thought this one would go before the other silver one. That leaves just one left on the board for today.

SI

NevStar 06-15-2005 05:48 PM

Bronze 2. John Elway's Quarterback

sterlingice 06-15-2005 05:51 PM

And that gets the last one. There will be another set either Thursday or Friday. There will be some more freebies, too, so people who haven't had a chance to join up can. I'm pretty sure the next group will be "PC Classics" tho I still don't have a couple of games for it yet. I'll be updating the standings and points threads once I find a way that looks like what I want.

SI

Vince 06-15-2005 06:39 PM

Dang it, I forgot about this until now, and I think I could have gotten any of them if I had been here :)

Ah well...tomorrow is another day.

ThunderingHERD 06-16-2005 02:27 AM

Quote:

We've already had this happen once today and yesterday so it would be nice if the rules were read. In fact MJ4H asked for a clarification to make sure just a few posts ago so it should be crystal clear now. Your first day all you can guess is a freebie. Also, if you make more than one guess a day, they are nullified. So, while ThunderingHERD actually did get both the freebie and gold question right. However, in a somewhat punitive "dammit, not only do I have to play rules lawyer I also have to explain the gold answer in the same post" ruling, the two games are taken off the board so no one else can guess (since it'd just be cherry picking) but ThunderingHERD will still have to get a freebie correct some day in the future before doing real ones.

SI

Sorry, I just sorta skipped up to the part where I could participate (just linked it from the thread on the main board). Please, don't send me to the principal's office or anything. :)

Izulde 06-16-2005 02:45 AM

Bloody hell! I knew every one of those too. :(

I should have checked sooner!

wade moore 06-16-2005 06:45 AM

what's with starting this so late in the day? We need it earlier for us workin' folks who sit around at our PC's all day!

sterlingice 06-16-2005 11:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThunderingHERD
Sorry, I just sorta skipped up to the part where I could participate (just linked it from the thread on the main board). Please, don't send me to the principal's office or anything. :)

Nah, I didn't really want it to be personal. I just wanted to make it a precedent so that if it happens again, we have something to refer to. The fact that it had already been asked earlier today gave good reason to do it. That said, you knew the distinction and the story behind the versions so I doubt you'll have any problem playing catch up :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Izulde
Bloody hell! I knew every one of those too. :(

I should have checked sooner!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vince
Dang it, I forgot about this until now, and I think I could have gotten any of them if I had been here :)

Ah well...tomorrow is another day.

Quote:

Originally Posted by wade moore
what's with starting this so late in the day? We need it earlier for us workin' folks who sit around at our PC's all day!

Well, those of us "looking for work" folks don't get up until about 10am so there likely won't be one posted before that unless you consider 3am morning. I'll try to vary the times up from evening to night to afternoon but I can only do this when I have free time and I'm not doing something else.

This is the type of thread I make sure to have a subscription to when someone else is running it, that way I get an email when it's updated. That said, I know a lot of people don't use those.

SI

JeeberD 06-16-2005 12:24 PM

Quote:

Well, those of us "looking for work" folks don't get up until about 10am...

Slacker

sterlingice 06-16-2005 01:05 PM

PC Classics (1st Edition)

Today's Theme: PC Classics (1st Edition)

For those of you getting NES burnout, here's some new fun: PC Classics. The freebies and bronzes kindof blend together as most people know all of both. After looking at games, I think I might even be able to have an entire "Sid Meyer/Will Wright" category so none of their games are here. It's kindof difficult to choose silver and gold level games on a "classic" theme like this but I hope I chose admirably. Truth be told, I never played the gold game and there will be some like that which I never played (like John Elway yesterday) so I have to trust my sources that they're legit screenies. That said, I'm pretty sure this one is since it's from the company's site.

Sorry that a couple of images might be a tad small, but I guess that adds to the challenge (ok, not really).

Game Rank: GSB and Freebies

Freebie 1.

Freebie 2.

Freebie 3.

Freebie 4.

Bronze 1.

Bronze 2.

Bronze 3.

Silver 1.

Silver 2.

Gold.

Correct Answers
F1. Oregon Trail (wade moore)
F2. Diablo (JeeberD)
F3. Starcraft (Toddiec)
F4. Lemmings (ThunderingHERD)
B1. Wolfenstein 3D (Radii)
B2. X-Com: UFO Defense (Vince)
B3. Myst (N/A)
S1. King's Quest V (Sir Fozzie)
S2. Descent (Coffee Warlord)
G. Leisure Suit Larry (terpkristin)

SI

wade moore 06-16-2005 01:20 PM

Freebie 1 - The Oregon Trail

Wolfpack 06-16-2005 01:23 PM

Must...resist...urge...to...name...every...one...of...them....

Edit: Damn you! :)

Freebie 2: Diablo

sterlingice 06-16-2005 01:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wolfpack

Freebie 1: Oregon Trail

Wade Moore beat you to it so you get to name another one. :D

Um.. you've already done a freebie. Shouldn't you be working on the GSB ones since the freebies get you no points? (tho I suppose freebie 2 counts for today for you, I guess)

SI

wade moore 06-16-2005 01:25 PM

Quote:

Edit: Damn you!

slow-poke

Wolfpack 06-16-2005 01:27 PM

Oh, I didn't know that. I thought that was some sort of test round or something....

Do I still get to guess?

sterlingice 06-16-2005 01:29 PM

Quote:

Oh, I didn't know that. I thought that was some sort of test round or something....

Do I still get to guess?

I guess this is the opposite of stealing a real one since I don't really care if someone cherry picks a freebie (since they are, well, freebies). Just delete your guess above and make a new one below. I just don't want people cherry picking ones that are for points (as is what would have happened yesterday).

SI

terpkristin 06-16-2005 01:37 PM

Gold: Leisure Suit Larry (TOTAL GUESS)

Radii 06-16-2005 01:43 PM

Bronze 1 is Wolfenstein 3D

I think I know silver 1 but I'm not gonna risk it.

Coffee Warlord 06-16-2005 02:16 PM

Silver 2 - Descent.

Pissed I missed the gold. :)

TazFTW 06-16-2005 02:26 PM

Ah hell, going to have to take a stab.

Silver 1: Kings Quest I VGA

sachmo71 06-16-2005 02:26 PM

B3- Myst

Coffee Warlord 06-16-2005 02:27 PM

Ironically, the only one I *don't* know for utter certainty is a bronze. The silvers and golds were instant recognition.

sterlingice 06-16-2005 02:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Coffee Warlord
Ironically, the only one I *don't* know for utter certainty is a bronze. The silvers and golds were instant recognition.

I presume it was Myst? I didn't pick a great picture for it, but I figured it was still recognizable.

Quote:

Originally Posted by TazFTW
Ah hell, going to have to take a stab.

Silver 1: Kings Quest I VGA

Not Kings Quest I. Still on the board.

The guesses for Myst, Descent, Wolf 3D, and LSL are all right and the main page will be updated shortly. By my quick count, that leaves a silver, a bronze, and 3 freebies left (remember: freebie 2 is still on the board since it's a freebie). So those guys who haven't gotten in yet- this is a good day to get in on the game.

How is it that the girl got Leisure Suit Larry? C'mon, guys- that's just not acceptable. Or maybe it says as much about tk than about the guys here ;)

SI

sterlingice 06-16-2005 02:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sachmo71
B3- Myst

Unless I'm mistaken, you haven't done a freebie yet, tho. :(

So, Bronze 3 is off the board but no points are awarded.

SI

TazFTW 06-16-2005 02:40 PM

I would have gotten Leisure Suit Larry. Heck, I have LSLs 1-5 installed on this comp.

MJ4H 06-16-2005 02:45 PM

Bronze 2: X-com?

Vince 06-16-2005 02:46 PM

B2 = X-Com: UFO Defense

Vince 06-16-2005 02:46 PM

Son of a bitch. Do I get to guess again? Or am I now out for this round?

sterlingice 06-16-2005 02:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MattJones4Heisman
Bronze 2: X-com?

Quote:

B2 = X-Com: UFO Defense

Dang it. For the scond day in a row, I've had to set rules against MJ4H. I swear, I'm not out to get anyone in the game. This just happens to be bad luck the first couple of days.

X-Com has 4(?) games, so X-Com is not correct. I see two options to what to do when something like this happens. The first is to claim the guess doesn't count since it's not clear what game is meant. The problem I see with allowing that is that I'm worried players will not know a game but guess a series in an attempt to get a second guess, essentially. So, to prevent that, a guess like this counts as an incorrect guess.

Since this is the first time this has come up and there was no rule in effect at the time, I'm going to make this single time judgement so as to not penalize him (the above applies in the future): MJ4H's guess doesn't count and he may guess at any remaining ones (silver1, I suppose). Remember: this is a one time thing and now that there is a rule in place to deal with it, it will apply in the future.

Quote:

Son of a bitch. Do I get to guess again? Or am I now out for this round?

In a case like this where one person guesses first and then another guesses at the same time, here's the deal:

If the first guess is correct. That means the second guess is null and void since they're guessing on a problem that's not there. So, right or wrong- the guess just doesn't exist.

If the first guess is incorrect then the second guess counts as the person's guess for the day and will be judged as such.

I'll update the rules with these shortly.

SI

Coffee Warlord 06-16-2005 02:59 PM

Quote:

I presume it was Myst? I didn't pick a great picture for it, but I figured it was still recognizable.

Yeah. I was pretty sure that's what it was, but I never actually played Myst, so it wasn't 100% certainty.

BigDPW 06-16-2005 03:15 PM

S1 = Kings Quest (the version I am not sure but it is one of the last few ones)