Front Office Football Central

Front Office Football Central (http://forums.operationsports.com/fofc//index.php)
-   Off Topic (http://forums.operationsports.com/fofc//forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   MLB 2021 Season Thread (http://forums.operationsports.com/fofc//showthread.php?t=97181)

BishopMVP 02-01-2021 09:01 PM

Real question - I think players (okay, maybe not fringe relievers, but certainly starters) could survive credible allegations of past dick pics, but how many other coaches/front office types do you think are sweating right now? It's definitely in the double digits.

miami_fan 02-02-2021 05:43 AM

I would say it less than five. They don't believe they did anything wrong. The women would not have been online if they did not expect to get dick pics.

BYU 14 02-02-2021 07:59 AM

Of all the things to show what a sweet, loving guy you are, a Dick pic? Who still does that?

BYU 14 02-02-2021 08:00 AM

Dola, who ever thought that was a good idea? :lol:

JonInMiddleGA 02-02-2021 09:11 AM

It's essentially the same theory as a friend of mine used back in the day. He had a rather {cough} forward opening line he used regularly with women. (It was so over the top I ain't quoting it here).

Yes, it got him slapped about 3/10 times.
But it got him laid about 1/10 times too.

JonInMiddleGA 02-02-2021 11:26 AM

Hard read, but worthwhile IMO if you're up to it.

San Francisco Giants outfielder Drew Robinson's remarkable second act

JPhillips 02-02-2021 12:52 PM

The Rockies GM said they traded Arenado because they were sure he'd opt out and leave after this season. So instead of paying him 35 mil and keeping him for a year, they decided it would be better to pay the Cards 50 mil so he would play there.

hmm.

henry296 02-02-2021 12:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JPhillips (Post 3326189)
The Rockies GM said they traded Arenado because they were sure he'd opt out and leave after this season. So instead of paying him 35 mil and keeping him for a year, they decided it would be better to pay the Cards 50 mil so he would play there.

hmm.

I guess they bought the prospects for $15MM.

Vince, Pt. II 02-02-2021 02:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA (Post 3326176)
Hard read, but worthwhile IMO if you're up to it.

San Francisco Giants outfielder Drew Robinson's remarkable second act

Hooey, you weren't kidding. Thanks for sharing, that was incredible.

miami_fan 02-05-2021 02:01 PM

Per MLB Network, Trevor Bauer is heading to the World Champs.

miami_fan 02-05-2021 02:01 PM

Trevor Bauer signing with Los Angeles Dodgers, sources say

Lathum 02-05-2021 02:04 PM

Fuck.

Ring chaser.

BYU 14 02-05-2021 04:11 PM

No surprise there, Bauer is 100% about his brand and nothing does more for that then a ring in either NY or LA.

Atocep 02-05-2021 04:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lathum (Post 3326522)
Fuck.

Ring chaser.

He's a CA kid and one of the original Driveline believers while the Mets are a decade behind on biomechanical analysis because of the Wilpons. I would have been pleasantly shocked if he had signed.

MrBug708 02-05-2021 04:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lathum (Post 3326522)
Fuck.

Ring chaser.

I can't imagine an arbitrary deadline helped the Mets cause. No surprised he signed shortly after.

Lathum 02-05-2021 04:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrBug708 (Post 3326543)
I can't imagine an arbitrary deadline helped the Mets cause. No surprised he signed shortly after.

He was never signing with the Mets. He used them to get more money from LA. I would never wish injury on a player but I hope he has a terrible year

ISiddiqui 02-05-2021 06:01 PM

I am not sure that ring chaser is really an insult... The ridiculous salary offering probably helped too.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

larrymcg421 02-05-2021 06:12 PM

Why wouldn't players chase rings if so many idiots are going to judge their careers solely on the number of championships they won?

Lathum 02-05-2021 06:14 PM

To me it is a bitch move to join a team that already was a championship team. I thought the same thing about KD.

You want to do something noteworthy, lead another team to a title, don't ride others coattails.

ISiddiqui 02-05-2021 08:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by larrymcg421 (Post 3326547)
Why wouldn't players chase rings if so many idiots are going to judge their careers solely on the number of championships they won?

Yep. And I would want a ring myself. I'd totally be a ring chaser and wouldn't give a fuck.

SackAttack 02-06-2021 12:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ISiddiqui (Post 3326545)
I am not sure that ring chaser is really an insult... The ridiculous salary offering probably helped too.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

I mean, he's long been on record as wanting to go year to year to maximize his earnings. I'm hearing the Mets were offering $105 million over 3 years, so at that point, it's a question of what was different about the Dodgers' offer. Did they offer two opt outs while the Mets only offered one? Was the Mets' offer not front-loaded like LA's, but spread out as an even $35 million/year? Were the Dodgers willing to let Bauer pitch every 4th day because of their largesse of SP riches, while the Mets wanted him to do a more conventional every 5th day?

Analytics gap? Allure of pitching 30 miles from his home town?

Or, sure, thinking about what a ring might do to his salary prospects if he opts out after year 1 (or year 2) and weighed the likelihood of either team winning a ring in the next two years?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lathum (Post 3326549)
To me it is a bitch move to join a team that already was a championship team. I thought the same thing about KD.

You want to do something noteworthy, lead another team to a title, don't ride others coattails.

I don't think he cares about doing "something noteworthy." I think he cares about his brand and about getting paid. Also, this ain't the NBA; what team would he join that wouldn't be championship caliber without him, but his addition would put them over the top to get past the Braves or Dodgers, Yankees or Astros, to reach/win the Series? One player doesn't do that in MLB the way he can in the NBA.

Lathum 02-06-2021 07:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SackAttack (Post 3326561)
One player doesn't do that in MLB the way he can in the NBA.

MadBum says hi.

TB is a bitch.

Let’s not forget I’m an irrational mets fan.

PilotMan 02-06-2021 10:51 AM

Mets fans always gotta hate on the Dodgers anyway. It's literally in their blood. otoh, Dodger fans can cheer for the Mets rather easily, because they are like some long lost cousin you didn't know about until last year. You found out they did some pretty weird shit, but hey, family is family.

SackAttack 02-06-2021 10:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lathum (Post 3326577)
MadBum says hi.

TB is a bitch.

Let’s not forget I’m an irrational mets fan.

MadBum did not drag his team to a World Series. LeBron dragged some otherwise abysmal Cavs teams to conference championship games and NBA Finals.

What MadBum did was, once the team got there, say "hop on; I got this."

But you still gotta be able to GET there for your big signing to have a chance to put a thumb on the scale.

Lathum 02-06-2021 11:00 AM

I have zero hate for the Dodgers. Literally none. I actually like them.

As for Madbum they do t win that series without him, so one player certainly made a difference.

Atocep 02-07-2021 09:38 PM

Rip Pedro Gomez

Mota 02-08-2021 07:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SackAttack (Post 3326599)
MadBum did not drag his team to a World Series. LeBron dragged some otherwise abysmal Cavs teams to conference championship games and NBA Finals.

What MadBum did was, once the team got there, say "hop on; I got this."

But you still gotta be able to GET there for your big signing to have a chance to put a thumb on the scale.

It's very difficult to compare the impact a starting pitcher can have on a baseball team vs. a starting player in the NBA. Pitchers play every 5 days.

You can have a massive feat like Madbum did, but it could have possibly shortened his career, as pitcher arms can't be overused like that for long.

LeBron has also jumped from superteam to superteam to collect chips, which severely tarnishes his legacy. What jersey does he wear in the hall of fame? Who is he associated with? In the end, he's a great player, but it does affect the "legend", as he is a journeyman.

BYU 14 02-08-2021 08:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Atocep (Post 3326775)
Rip Pedro Gomez

This sucks, if you are a Baseball fans you have spent hours listening to him :(

miami_fan 02-08-2021 08:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Atocep (Post 3326775)
Rip Pedro Gomez

Westchester's own:(

RIP

Ksyrup 02-08-2021 09:41 AM

Just heard about Gomez about an hour ago. Crazy. Never like the "died unexpectedly" thing, but at his age it could be a number of things.

BYU 14 02-08-2021 01:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ksyrup (Post 3326815)
Just heard about Gomez about an hour ago. Crazy. Never like the "died unexpectedly" thing, but at his age it could be a number of things.

And his age is my age LOL, I just can't accept a 58 year old mindset though, which hopefully buys another 30-35 years.

Ksyrup 02-08-2021 01:37 PM

Not that you expect a 58-year old to DIE, but there are number of things that could kill a 58-year old. I mean, I'll be 50 this year and I have been talking about my imminent death for the last decade-plus.

MrBug708 02-08-2021 05:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lathum (Post 3326544)
He was never signing with the Mets. He used them to get more money from LA. I would never wish injury on a player but I hope he has a terrible year

He sucked at negotiating then, because the Mets offered more.

Lathum 02-08-2021 05:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrBug708 (Post 3326898)
He sucked at negotiating then, because the Mets offered more.

He gets the opt out with LA.

miami_fan 02-09-2021 08:38 AM

MLB, MLBPA agree to health protocols, 7-inning doubleheaders, runners on second in extras

Once is a fluke, twice is a coincidence...three times is permanent?

sterlingice 02-09-2021 08:50 AM

I don't like any of the three "new rules": 7 inning doubleheaders, funky extra innings rules, and permanent DH. Of the three, the ones I dislike the least was the only one not implemented
SI

BYU 14 02-09-2021 09:15 AM

I can do without the extra innings runner, but loved universal DH and 7 inning double headers. It seems like MLB withheld the DH as punishment for the unions rejection of shorter season and expanded playoff. Typical petty bullshit, not about the game, only about proving your point.

Ksyrup 02-09-2021 09:23 AM

I don't mind any of the rules, but that's probably because I'm so used to watching softball now.

I find opposition to the DH silly. Starting pitchers barely go 4-5 innings now, so at least half the ABs are going to position player PHers. Why not just replace them with a real starting hitter? The whole "strategy" angle has largely gone away. No one's got a major decision to make on letting a starter hit in the 6th or 7th inning. Maybe if they've got a no-hitter going. Otherwise, if the circumstances dictate, they are PH for 99.9% of the time.

BYU 14 02-09-2021 12:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ksyrup (Post 3326954)
I don't mind any of the rules, but that's probably because I'm so used to watching softball now.

I find opposition to the DH silly. Starting pitchers barely go 4-5 innings now, so at least half the ABs are going to position player PHers. Why not just replace them with a real starting hitter? The whole "strategy" angle has largely gone away. No one's got a major decision to make on letting a starter hit in the 6th or 7th inning. Maybe if they've got a no-hitter going. Otherwise, if the circumstances dictate, they are PH for 99.9% of the time.

+1000

PilotMan 02-09-2021 12:23 PM

I miss the days of Iron Horse starters.

tarcone 02-09-2021 12:28 PM

Quote:

Yeah, this makes sense. I used to be anti-DH. But with how pitching strategy has evolved, it makes sense now. You rarely see double switches anymore. You just see your bench being used and it is cold.

BYU 14 02-09-2021 12:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PilotMan (Post 3326974)

Well, your team just picked up the last Mohican. I am curious to see if they let Bauer go every 4th day and work the innings he wants to work.

cuervo72 02-09-2021 12:39 PM

I did not know this was a thing.

MLB Draft League | MLB.com

At least the Keys are still around in some fashion.

Ksyrup 02-09-2021 01:24 PM

Quote:

Whenever I play OOTP, it's usually a fictional universe with 1978-80 MLB rules so I can get guys throwing 280 innings.

tarcone 02-09-2021 01:24 PM

Quote:

When I play Statis Pro baseball I want my starters to go as long as possible.

I love pitchers that can go the distance

Breeze 02-09-2021 02:34 PM

Quote:

I read an interesting take on the Universal DH and it kind of flips the strategy with pulling pitchers. This person suggested using a DH until you pull your starting pitcher. Then you have to also pull the DH and let pitchers hit (or be pinch hit for) the rest of the game. That might be a way to get managers to allow starting pitchers to go further in games.

MrBug708 02-09-2021 04:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BYU 14 (Post 3326977)
Well, your team just picked up the last Mohican. I am curious to see if they let Bauer go every 4th day and work the innings he wants to work.

Dodgers love themselves the rest for free IL and 6 man rotation.

PilotMan 02-13-2021 11:50 PM

JT is back in Dodger Blue.

2yr/34M

miami_fan 02-17-2021 08:22 PM

Source - San Diego Padres, Fernando Tatis Jr. agree on 14-year, $340 million deal

So Cal baseball teams have all the money!

Quote:

The $340 million extension is the third-largest contract handed out in MLB history, trailing only Mike Trout's $426.5 million extension over 12 years with the Angels and Mookie Betts' $365 million extension over 12 years with the Dodgers.

Lathum 02-17-2021 08:25 PM

Wonder what kind of opt outs he has.

People probably don't see much of him. I have MLB extra innings and play DFS pretty seriously so I watch a ton of games. He is truly a special player.