Front Office Football Central

Front Office Football Central (http://forums.operationsports.com/fofc//index.php)
-   Off Topic (http://forums.operationsports.com/fofc//forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Random Thoughts That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Go Here (http://forums.operationsports.com/fofc//showthread.php?t=77784)

molson 08-19-2010 12:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DanGarion (Post 2336419)
If we can't stand up for those whose beliefs differ from ours when it comes to the constitution, how can we expect the constitution to protect our beliefs?

Well, the trick is just to interpret the constitution in such a way that it stands up for the beliefs you personally find acceptable and/or desirable. Call it a "living constitution". Problem solved.

Poli 08-19-2010 01:01 PM

I haven't chewed on my fingernails in five weeks.

Kodos 08-19-2010 01:17 PM

It's been even longer since I've chewed on your fingernails.

sterlingice 08-19-2010 01:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Poli (Post 2336434)
I haven't chewed on my fingernails in five weeks.

Good deal. I can't say the same, unfortunately. Bad habit, I know.

SI

Poli 08-19-2010 09:07 PM

Former Arkansas offensive lineman Brandon Burlsworth will be honored with a new national award handed out to a college football player who started his career as a walk-on.

The new Burlsworth Trophy will be officially introduced Monday at a news conference at Arkansas' home stadium.

Burlsworth began his career with the Razorbacks as a walk-on but eventually earned a scholarship and became an AP second-team All-American. Burlsworth died in a car wreck in 1999, weeks after he was picked in the third round of the NFL draft by the Indianapolis Colts.
Danny Ford, who coached Burlsworth at Arkansas, is expected to be on hand Monday, along with former Arkansas athletic director Frank Broyles.

I was thinking about Brandon a few weeks back.

Poli 08-19-2010 09:46 PM

The league gave me a USA Football Coaches Handbook today before practice.

I think they're trying to drop a hint.

DaddyTorgo 08-19-2010 10:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tigercat (Post 2336424)
Turned 30 yesterday. Not a big deal, but weird seeing that 3 in front of my age and not yet feeling "settled." Not that I ever felt the need to live up to anyone else's expectations, but my fairly serious minded 20 year old self would be surprised that I am not settled yet.

Agreed

JonInMiddleGA 08-19-2010 10:29 PM

Between Facebook, Twitter, and now YouTube, I think I'm experiencing some social media induced brain fry. That's a lot of shit to keep track of when you're doing it for five different divisions of the same client, even harder to remember what you've done on each, what tweaks you've made, etc. At this point I think I'm lucky to remember where the log in buttons are for each product.

On the bright side, without being forced to deal with Twitter I wouldn't have discovered that Fred Thompson is pretty funny on there.

stevew 08-19-2010 10:48 PM

I haven't smoked since March. But every time I catch a whiff of a cigarette something inside of me perks up and I think about smoking for the next several hours.

JonInMiddleGA 08-19-2010 10:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stevew (Post 2336668)
I haven't smoked since March. But every time I catch a whiff of a cigarette something inside of me perks up and I think about smoking for the next several hours.

Sorry about that, I'll try to keep it further away from the keyboard next time I post ;)

RainMaker 08-20-2010 12:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tigercat (Post 2336424)
Turned 30 yesterday. Not a big deal, but weird seeing that 3 in front of my age and not yet feeling "settled." Not that I ever felt the need to live up to anyone else's expectations, but my fairly serious minded 20 year old self would be surprised that I am not settled yet.

Turned 30 in December and had a rough time with it. Always felt I was still young and seen that way by people. But 30 is kind of that point where you have to get serious with life. Decide if you're getting married someday, having kids, etc.

I know it's just a number, but in my twenties I just felt like I never had to commit to anything. Now I don't feel that way as much.

Although it did sort of convince me to take much better care of myself health wise. Lost some serious weight and am now lifting and doing tons of cardio every week.

sterlingice 08-20-2010 06:26 AM

That's weird- I'm turning 31 and still feel young but I think that runs contrary to many people these days. I figure I'm 1/3rd done with life (tho who can really know) so in what mathematical universe is that old.

Now, I'm happily married so there are no issues there but don't have any kids yet. I think kids age people quite a bit due to, well, not sleeping for extended periods of time. And I'm doing ok career wise or as well can be reasonably expected for someone of our generation but I think for us, it's always going to be tough as the job market is going to be a employers market for a long time.

It's really funny to me that I have 3 coworkers who are all in their early 40s and you'd think they were 80, the way they talked about "being so old".

SI

sterlingice 08-20-2010 06:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Poli (Post 2336648)
The league gave me a USA Football Coaches Handbook today before practice.

I think they're trying to drop a hint.

Play a lot more hattrick?

SI

JonInMiddleGA 08-20-2010 07:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sterlingice (Post 2336703)
It's really funny to me that I have 3 coworkers who are all in their early 40s and you'd think they were 80, the way they talked about "being so old".

Wait'll you get there, you'll understand why they do that a lot better why they do that, you young whippersnapper.

Suicane75 08-20-2010 07:06 AM

I was introduced to Jeggings this morning and I am all at once unimpressed, saddened and mystified.

JediKooter 08-20-2010 11:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RainMaker (Post 2336679)
Turned 30 in December and had a rough time with it. Always felt I was still young and seen that way by people. But 30 is kind of that point where you have to get serious with life. Decide if you're getting married someday, having kids, etc.

I know it's just a number, but in my twenties I just felt like I never had to commit to anything. Now I don't feel that way as much.

Although it did sort of convince me to take much better care of myself health wise. Lost some serious weight and am now lifting and doing tons of cardio every week.

It's not the age, it's the mileage.

DataKing 08-20-2010 11:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JediKooter (Post 2336822)
It's not the age, it's the mileage.

I have to agree with you on that one, Indy.

Kodos 08-20-2010 11:57 AM

I just turned 40 in July, but I still look and feel pretty young. No worries.

Poli 08-20-2010 11:59 AM

That not what the other aliens say.

*cough*OLD*cough*

DataKing 08-20-2010 12:58 PM

The first time when I saw a scantily-clad female and the first thought in my head was "too young," that was the day I knew I was getting old.

DataKing 08-20-2010 01:00 PM

Boylan Black Cherry Soda is like liquid heaven.

DataKing 08-20-2010 01:01 PM

Dola.

MJ4H deserves some sort of award for starting this thread. :)

Kodos 08-20-2010 01:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DataKing (Post 2336872)
The first time when I saw a scantily-clad female and the first thought in my head was "too young," that was the day I knew I was getting old.

Yeah, that's a tough concept to get used to.

JediKooter 08-20-2010 01:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kodos (Post 2336843)
I just turned 40 in July, but I still look and feel pretty young. No worries.

40 in human years?

Kodos 08-20-2010 01:33 PM

40 earth years, yes.

JediKooter 08-20-2010 01:37 PM

I'm right behind you. Turned 39 in July. Don't feel old mentally, but, physically, I can definitely feel things catching up to me.

Ksyrup 08-20-2010 01:41 PM

Turned 39 on Monday. I don't feel too bad, but things like my ankle injury and a sore arm from throwing BP puts me on notice that it's only going to go downhill from here. But frankly, I'm in better shape than I was at 25, so it could be worse.

JediKooter 08-20-2010 01:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ksyrup (Post 2336900)
Turned 39 on Monday. I don't feel too bad, but things like my ankle injury and a sore arm from throwing BP puts me on notice that it's only going to go downhill from here. But frankly, I'm in better shape than I was at 25, so it could be worse.

Congrats! Welcome to the club. :D

Kodos 08-20-2010 01:47 PM

My main problem is brain damage caused by not getting nearly enough sleep. My short term memory is shot to hell. I blame our 19 month old girl for that.

Ksyrup 08-20-2010 02:05 PM

Over the past couple of years, I've found that I can't sleep more than 5-6 hours a night, tops. And I rarely, if ever, need an alarm clock. I usually auto-wake within 5 minutes of the alarm going off - if I haven't already been up for a couple of hours.

DataKing 08-20-2010 02:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ksyrup (Post 2336900)

Similar situation here. 37 years old, but running and working out regularly puts me in much better shape than I was in my 20's. You just have to know when to take it easy. I had a shoulder and a knee both starting to act up recently, so I took the week off from working out and running to give them a rest. I'm hyper-sensitive when it comes to my knees...had bursitis in both at the same time a couple years back...that sucked.

JediKooter 08-20-2010 03:03 PM

I would be happy to just sleep all the way through to the morning without waking up 5 times.

MacroGuru 08-20-2010 03:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JediKooter (Post 2336934)
I would be happy to just sleep all the way through to the morning without waking up 5 times.

Yeah....doctor put me on Ambien for that...June was the first full nights sleep I had in almost 2 years.

JediKooter 08-20-2010 03:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MacroGuru (Post 2336938)
Yeah....doctor put me on Ambien for that...June was the first full nights sleep I had in almost 2 years.

I tried the Ambien before, but, unfortunately, I didn't notice too much of difference.

RainMaker 08-20-2010 04:18 PM

Does anyone have interest in starting up a Health/Fitness/Weight Loss thread for anyone looking to get healthier? Basically share progress, throw out tips, etc.

DaddyTorgo 08-20-2010 04:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RainMaker (Post 2336965)
Does anyone have interest in starting up a Health/Fitness/Weight Loss thread for anyone looking to get healthier? Basically share progress, throw out tips, etc.

Yes please. I'm fat and I need to lose some serious poundage again.

Mustang 08-20-2010 06:35 PM

Under no circumstance should you ever jokingly say to a 3 year old girl, "Daddy has to work tonight to make the money and buy ponies."

Ya, that was stupid of me.

JediKooter 08-20-2010 06:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mustang (Post 2337018)
Under no circumstance should you ever jokingly say to a 3 year old girl, "Daddy has to work tonight to make the money and buy ponies."

So when are you going to start building the stable for the new pony?

RainMaker 08-20-2010 06:53 PM

Quote:

Oh God. :popcorn:

JediKooter 08-20-2010 07:44 PM

I hope everyone has a good weekend. Good night all you crazy atheists and theists and everyone in between. ;)

Mustang 08-20-2010 07:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RainMaker (Post 2337023)
Oh God. :popcorn:

I got 'The Look' from the wife. Deservedly so I might add since there are several times since I said that that it was brought up.

Guess I better move to Poland where ponies are common.

claphamsa 08-20-2010 08:12 PM

people make fun of the bengals for being jail birds.... even tho the worst crime was a DUI... now we have matt jones, adam jones and TO...ok TO isnt a crook. all class all day, all the way to the superbowl!

Shaun Sullivan 08-20-2010 10:12 PM

I'll be 44 in December and I still feel 22 on one hand, but on the other, I feel 66. It is hard to articulate.

Wolfpack 08-20-2010 10:22 PM

Quote:

With today's gasoline prices, you can't afford not to buy a pony.

SackAttack 08-20-2010 10:37 PM

Quote:

Bring home a giant stuffed pony.

Suicane75 08-21-2010 11:22 PM

I don't feel old enough to have a movie marketed to me as "Friday, for a new generation". I'm still here, i'm still in my generation, i'm still young. sad face.

JonInMiddleGA 08-22-2010 12:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Suicane75 (Post 2337329)
I don't feel old enough to have a movie marketed to me as "Friday, for a new generation". I'm still here, i'm still in my generation, i'm still young. sad face.

a) Unless you aren't 18-34, you're not as relevant to marketers as you'd like to be (*based on your profile, the clock is ticking loudly on that)

b) I had to search IMDB to find out what the hell that tagline meant. I had no unaided recall of any movie called Friday and only vaguely recognized it even after seeing the IMDB entry. Welcome to the difference between being 35 and being 43.

Izulde 08-22-2010 10:01 AM

I just had the oddest dream where I was both Lebron James and me. I was being chased by the police for some really serious crime. I ran away by driving a car and stealing a helicopter and dodged capture by ducking into a Shopko.

Then I went back to my old high school and sat in the cafeteria where an assembly was being held discussing the police's attempts to find me and the principal saw me, but he loved me so much he pretended not to.

Everybody kept staring at me at the table I was sitting at, wondering why I was there, but I just kept talking to my best friend and ignoring them until the police came rushing up the aisle to try and apprehend me.

All of a sudden, the back wall of the cafeteria turned to bullet-proof Plexiglas and there was a door, so this gangbanger friend of mine and another dude rushed through it, arguing with each other and fighting to draw the cops attention.

The cops went after them and were wrestling them down until my friend bucked the one off him, pulled out a gun and shot the cop trying to wrestle the other dude down. The other dude pulls out his own gun, runs into the lunch room and starts shooting people randomly, including my best friend. She gets hit in the arm, so I pick her up and run out the front door of the lunch room.

"What do you want me to do what do you want me to do?!" I yelled and it felt very weird to be yelling in LeBron James's voice and still be me and him. She was freaking out and said "I don't care!"

So I try to run into the girls' locker room but it's blocked off by a construction sign so I duck into the boys' bathroom, lay her on the sink and start running cold water on the gunshot wound.

But the weird thing was, she all of a sudden turns invisible, even though she was still there. You just couldn't see her.

The door opens and another friend of mine walks in. He looks at my best friend, starts laughing, and goes, "Damn, nigga. I thought you was fucking Shanessa." I have no idea who the fuck Shanessa is, but I figure it's a Bron thing so I just laugh, shrug my shoulders and say, "Well, you know... nigga like me got to have lots of pussy, right?"

We're still laughing about it when the door flies open and a janitor walks in. I get serious again and ask if the medics have been called because of the shootings. He goes, "Nawh. Wait, what shootings?". I tell him and he says the uniformed police are here.

I shout back, "THAT'S NOT GOOD ENOUGH! CALL THE AMBER LAMPS!"

Janitor says all right and he shuffles off.

I didn't find out what happened because I woke up as the bathroom door was closing after the janitor.

B & B 08-22-2010 10:14 AM

Ive been involved in fairly serious *think $$$* fantasy football for almost 10 years and have never done a live online mock draft.

I just did one on cbs.

Now, I realized that Ive been missing absolutely nothing. By the 3rd round, four of the twelve people were gone. In the fifth round, someone who was still there took a defense. Weaksauce.

Pumpy Tudors 08-22-2010 12:19 PM

clearly since this is the internet i should use this soapbox to say something fucking idiotic and confrontational

signed,
some extraordinarily high percentage of people who have shomehow managed to learn how to turn a computer on