Front Office Football Central

Front Office Football Central (http://forums.operationsports.com/fofc//index.php)
-   Off Topic (http://forums.operationsports.com/fofc//forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Soccer Thread 2023-24 Edition (http://forums.operationsports.com/fofc//showthread.php?t=98971)

JonInMiddleGA 11-20-2023 09:31 PM

Umm ... WTF

USMNT coach Berhalter calls Dest red card 'dumb mistake' - ESPN

miami_fan 11-20-2023 10:19 PM

Is that question for Dest or Berhalter? It is definitely an appropriate question to ask Dest. A better one might be why should Dest be given a chance to pull on the national shirt again. You can't get two yellow cards for that childlike behavior in middle school much less in international soccer. It is not like the ref missed some studs up ankle breaking tackle that was done to Dest. He got muscled off the ball in the final third with the U.S. up 1-0 and looking comfortable. Maniac behavior.

JonInMiddleGA 11-21-2023 01:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by miami_fan (Post 3419204)
Is that question for Dest or Berhalter? It is definitely an appropriate question to ask Dest. A better one might be why should Dest be given a chance to pull on the national shirt again. You can't get two yellow cards for that childlike behavior in middle school much less in international soccer. It is not like the ref missed some studs up ankle breaking tackle that was done to Dest. He got muscled off the ball in the final third with the U.S. up 1-0 and looking comfortable. Maniac behavior.

Oh I meant Dest. ESPN is to blame for the headline.

cartman 11-21-2023 07:49 AM

Yeah, I was watching the game, and couldn't figure out what in the hell set that off

SirFozzie 11-21-2023 09:24 PM

Paths (mostly) set for the playoff draw

Path A: Poland, Wales, Estonia

Path B: Bosnia and Herzegovina, Israel

Path C : Georgia vs. Luxembourg, Greece vs. Kazakhstan

Why does Path A only have 3, Path B 2, and Path C 4? Because three teams need to be sorted to see what team will join Path A, and what two teams are in Path B. That draw will be on Thursday (Thanksgiving US) at 11 am GMT

Part of me wants to quip that if Ukraine gets put in Path B, the Israel v Ukraine game will decide who gets US aid first.

Meanwhile, here are the Pots for the draw (6 groups, each group will have one team from each Pot)

CONFIRMED EURO 2024 DRAW POTS

Pot 1: Germany, Portugal, France, Belgium, Spain, England

Pot 2: Hungary, Turkey, Denmark, Albania, Romania, Austria

Pot 3: Netherlands, Scotland, Croatia, Slovenia, Slovakia, Czechia

Pot 4: Italy, Serbia, Switzerland, Playoff A, Playoff B, Playoff C

Group of death would be: Spain, Turkey, Netherlands, Italy.

SirFozzie 11-21-2023 11:36 PM

and dola: Mexico advances on penalties. Of course, no one's going to mention the refs literally let them play until Mexico scored the equalizer in the 11th minute of second half stoppage time, sending off two Honduras players after that, and then forcing retakes of penalties until the third attempt was scored.

MIJB#19 11-22-2023 03:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SirFozzie (Post 3419250)
Paths (mostly) set for the playoff draw

Path A: Poland, Wales, Estonia

Path B: Bosnia and Herzegovina, Israel

Path C : Georgia vs. Luxembourg, Greece vs. Kazakhstan

Why does Path A only have 3, Path B 2, and Path C 4? Because three teams need to be sorted to see what team will join Path A, and what two teams are in Path B. That draw will be on Thursday (Thanksgiving US) at 11 am GMT

It's somewhat complicated, but it's cut and dry to me.
Path A is for Nations League A teams
Path B is for Nations League B teams
Path C is for Nations League C teams
The best 4 unqualified teams go into each playoffs path.

If for whatever reasons there would be less than 4 teams unqualified from any league, Estonia (as League D winner) was the wild card to get thrown into the highest open spot first. If there's still an open spot, next would be the next best starting at League A and going down to League B.

For Path B, you're missing Finland and Ukraine and for Path A you're missing Iceland.

MIJB#19 11-23-2023 12:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MIJB#19 (Post 3419311)
It's somewhat complicated, but it's cut and dry to me.
Path A is for Nations League A teams
Path B is for Nations League B teams
Path C is for Nations League C teams
The best 4 unqualified teams go into each playoffs path.

If for whatever reasons there would be less than 4 teams unqualified from any league, Estonia (as League D winner) was the wild card to get thrown into the highest open spot first. If there's still an open spot, next would be the next best starting at League A and going down to League B.

For Path B, you're missing Finland and Ukraine and for Path A you're missing Iceland.

Or I must have misread UEFA's regulations, becasuse they changed it once again, and they somehow decided to throw Finland in Path A and Iceland in Path B. :confused:

sovereignstar v2 11-25-2023 07:57 AM

Joke of a disallow

AlexB 11-25-2023 04:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sovereignstar v2 (Post 3419484)
Joke of a disallow

He had his hand on the GK arm: certainly won’t be overturned by VAR as the ref gave it. Might have stood if it was given a goal, but even though I hate VAR, I do like them sticking with the on field decision if 50:50

sovereignstar v2 11-26-2023 09:10 AM

Hope this is true. Barco is a very interesting prospect.

https://twitter.com/City_Xtra/status...tLvZwl7rw&s=19

sovereignstar v2 12-03-2023 01:34 PM

Another corrupt official outed

https://twitter.com/Priceless_MCI/st...6SyYqwm-Q&s=19

flere-imsaho 12-03-2023 02:03 PM

Yeah, that decision makes no sense. Can't wait to hear the explanation. My best guess is that he figured Grealish was offside so wanted to give City the free kick instead of getting nothing, but....

FWIW, I don't think EPL officials are corrupt, I think they're suffering from a mixture of a) not being very good and b) the implementation of VAR warping their understanding of how to call a match.

GrantDawg 12-07-2023 12:44 PM

The new US soccer training facility is going to be located near the home of Marvel and Walking Dead.

Sent from my SM-S916U using Tapatalk

sovereignstar v2 12-10-2023 09:33 AM

PSA: Studs up two footed tackles now allowed

kingfc22 12-10-2023 12:38 PM

LOL. Really stretching the definition of two footed tackle there. Yellow card would have been justifiable but there are always tackles worse than that each week that also draw no cards

sovereignstar v2 12-10-2023 01:53 PM

You love guys leaving their feet and landing on opposing players. Presenter on Sky Sports agreed it was a red

sovereignstar v2 12-10-2023 01:58 PM

Reasonable Arsenal fan, rare

https://twitter.com/BigRedArsenal/st...anqEeBzOg&s=19

flere-imsaho 12-10-2023 03:20 PM

LOL from the Guardian write-up of Man City vs. Luton:

Quote:

On this pitch – it is regulation size but the bulk of so many home players gives the illusion of pokiness – before these fans, Luton have been very good at thwarting more gifted and glamorous opponents. “Conference champions, you’ll never sing that,” the Luton fans chanted – although given the 115 charges against them, City are arguably closer to winning the National League than any other current Premier League side.

flere-imsaho 12-10-2023 03:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sovereignstar v2 (Post 3420776)
PSA: Studs up two footed tackles now allowed

While that's not the standard example of a "studs up two footed tackle" it's certainly at least a yellow for a very reckless challenge. At game speed I can see not initially calling it a red, but not to call a foul at all?

And here's, again, the problem with VAR:

Quote:

Remarkably, referee Tim Robinson did not even blow a foul, while the VAR – Australian Jarred Gillett – reviewed the incident and did not rule it a clear error or worthy of a red card.

The video assistant cannot recommend a yellow card – only a send-off – so Brown’s dangerous tackle received no punishment.

1. Can't believe the VAR can't recommend a yellow here. That's pants-on-head stupid.

2. When I reviewed it in slow motion, easy red. I thought this was the whole point behind VAR. Mistakes will be made / things missed at game speed, but if you get to see some of these instances in slow motion, you can make the right call.

miami_fan 12-10-2023 08:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flere-imsaho (Post 3420274)
FWIW, I don't think EPL officials are corrupt, I think they're suffering from a mixture of a) not being very good and b) the implementation of VAR warping their understanding of how to call a match.

From a fan's point of view, Part b just tells me you have weak minded officials which would lead to part a. Correct me if I am wrong but the only part of the on field officiating that has been adjusted for VAR are the assistant referees being told to delay putting up their flags for offsides. Other than that, I don't see why VAR would warp their understanding.

The expectations is for the on field officials to call the match and receive assistance from VAR. Take the incident from the City/Luton match this weekend. I also think it was a yellow, not a red for me. However, according to the EPL VAR rules, if the ref saw it, does not think it was a foul and most importantly is clear to everyone involved that he saw the incident clearly then that is that. The match official had the final say. It is also the reason VAR can only recommend actions outside of offsides

flere-imsaho 12-11-2023 07:29 PM

I think the implementation of VAR is making themselves doubt themselves through a combination of overthinking (because of what can and cannot be done by VAR) and second guessing.

You can call that weak minded, but there's a certain amount of career / money / pride at stake here. They're already in a challenging position and the way the EPL has implemented VAR is making it worse.

Ghost Econ 12-16-2023 02:35 PM

Man' I can't believe a ref would give a yellow for a studs up, DOGSO tackle. Emerson has to protect himself, shouldn't even have been a foul.

Blocked

flere-imsaho 12-16-2023 04:04 PM

That "tackle" is pretty much the dictionary definition of Serious Foul Play. Ederson should have been sent off.

flere-imsaho 12-17-2023 12:59 PM

I'd be pretty disappointed by that draw, Liverpool.

MIJB#19 12-22-2023 04:47 PM

The verdict is out, FIFA and UEFA have lost the case, as predicted, there's nothing they can legally do to stop any Super League kind of ideas (blame ESPN for the auto-loading video if that bothers you as much as it bothers me): Top EU court rules UEFA, FIFA ban on Super League illegal - ESPN

MIJB#19 01-07-2024 07:04 AM

Reportedly Paris Saint Germain rigged the Ballon d'Or election in 2021 to make Lionel Messi win it ahead of Robert Lewandowski. So shocking for PSG to do something like that, that's so uncharacteristic for that club. :rolleyes:

Ghost Econ 01-09-2024 08:43 AM

Sadio Mane married an 18 year old. But don't worry, he didn't approach her until she was 18... although he did court her in secret, which is totally different.

Senegal star Sadio Mane marries longtime girlfriend Aisha Tamba - Businessday NG

SirFozzie 01-11-2024 08:44 AM

We nearly had a Chapecoense situation as the Oxygen failed on a flight carrying Gambia's national team to the African Cup of Nations, forcing the plane to make an emergency landing after some players fell unconscious due to lack of oxygen:

The Gambia (you have to say "The Gambia", right?) officials then tried to put them on the very same small propeller-based plane for the trip again, claiming the problem had been fixed.

Needless to say, the players said "FUCK NO" to that.

Gambia players, staff say oxygen failed on plane to AFCON - ESPN

sovereignstar v2 01-13-2024 01:32 PM

Five crazy good goals in the City-Newcastle match today

miami_fan 01-26-2024 05:05 AM

Wow! I would say this is a surprise when I can post a link from CNN.

Jürgen Klopp to step down as Liverpool manager at the end of the season | CNN

flere-imsaho 01-26-2024 08:15 AM

That's a big blow and a big surprise, but it sounds like he was starting to burn out, and you like to see people leave before that happens, given the toll it takes on them and others.

Now let's watch Liverpool do succession planning like 1000% better than Man Utd.

Critch 01-26-2024 11:35 AM

Putting two and two together, Klopp is burnt out by club football and the Germany coach Nagelsmann is only contracted until the end of the Euros in the summer, so Klopp for Germany.

And some more guesswork, Xabi Alonso is doing great at Leverkusen and he's ex-Liverpool. So succession plan is in place.

whomario 02-10-2024 02:08 PM

Still wouldnt count out them finding creative ways to bottle it but Leverkuse beat Bayern 3-0 and is now up 5 points.

whomario 02-12-2024 04:24 PM

Only at AFCON ... Ivory Coast, hosting the tournament, lost 2 games in the group Stage, sacked the coach, still ended up advancing somehow and ... Win the title. And scoring the winning goal was Haller, who hadn't scored a single goal for Dortmund this season after being at the centre of last seasons last game choke (missing a penalty), while before that he was playing amazing in his return from cancer treatment.

whomario 03-23-2024 04:19 PM

Well that escalated quickly

Austria after 6 seconds

Florian Wirtz erzielt das schnellste Tor der DFB-Geschichte! 🤯 | sportstudio | #shorts - YouTube

Germany after 8

MIJB#19 03-23-2024 06:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by whomario (Post 3429406)

I know what you're trying to share here (two goals on one night in friendly matches with a goal after 7 seconds), but the first link is somebody random playing a simulation and the second one is a link without video.

whomario 03-23-2024 07:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MIJB#19 (Post 3429407)
I know what you're trying to share here (two goals on one night in friendly matches with a goal after 7 seconds), but the first link is somebody random playing a simulation and the second one is a link without video.

Wasn't when i posted. The pitfalls of avoiding copyright infractions for the first link i guess ... (2nd still works for me, maybe a region thing as it's from the german official broadcaster of that game)

SirFozzie 03-25-2024 11:06 AM

Berhalter haters are in shambles today after yet another dos a cero.

cartman 03-25-2024 03:10 PM

that Tyler Adams goal right before halftime was amazing

whomario 03-30-2024 06:04 PM

Leverkusen will (likely...) really win a title. Just after Alonso announced he's staying they win another one late (from 0:1 at 87 minutes to 2:1) and Bayern looses at home to Dortmund for the first time in 10 years.

Leverkusen is 13 points up with 7 games left.

miami_fan 04-17-2024 04:54 PM

Having a panenka saved really looks painful for the taker.

sovereignstar v2 04-17-2024 08:10 PM

That wasn't a paneka. It was just a shit penalty down the middle. No idea what he was thinking there

flere-imsaho 04-19-2024 10:59 AM

One hundred and fifty-five financial violations only buys you one UCL trophy, apparently.

sovereignstar v2 04-19-2024 11:22 AM

Pretty ballsy for a United fan to be trolling

sovereignstar v2 04-19-2024 11:25 AM

32 matches into the 2023-24 Premier League season and Manchester United have a goal differential of -1

sovereignstar v2 04-19-2024 11:29 AM

Zoinks Scoob!

Demo-economic analysis of player transfers (2014-2023) - CIES Football Observatory

flere-imsaho 04-19-2024 05:08 PM

I was looking to trigger you and you delivered beyond my expectations. Thank you.

Also:

MIJB#19 04-20-2024 12:51 PM

Those football clubs from Manchester - and from England in general - sure know how to quickly burn all that money given by their foreign sugar daddies.

miami_fan 04-21-2024 11:45 AM

This seems like lawsuit words to me.