Front Office Football Central

Front Office Football Central (http://forums.operationsports.com/fofc//index.php)
-   Off Topic (http://forums.operationsports.com/fofc//forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   The Great Recession - post mortem (http://forums.operationsports.com/fofc//showthread.php?t=64320)

digamma 10-31-2008 09:26 AM

That's very oversimplified, as is most of the mass media on credit default swaps. While people harp on swaps being unregulated, the legal framework surrounding swaps is actually pretty solid. Most are collaterallized, with collateral moving on a daily or weekly basis. Furthermore, when a credit event (like a bankruptcy) happens, there is a pretty well refined auction process that takes place. There have been about a half dozen auctions in the last two months, with several more scheduled between now and Thanksgiving. This is significantly more activity than we saw in the last two years combined. To this point, auctions have settled without real issues.

This is not to say there aren't real risks with CDS. There are. One of the things that article doesn't even mention, and which is a much bigger issue in the Lehman bankruptcy than the triggering of CDS payments on Lehman itself, is counterparty risk. You trade swaps with broker dealers, so when a credit event happens, you seek payment from your counterparty. Lehman was one of the biggest swap counterparties. So, by filing for bankruptcy, they default on all of their open swap transactions. The hope is that they run a matched book--essentially serving as the house in these trades, matching exposures on each side. But, the real issue in the lack of regulation is that you have no transparency into how well a broker has matched its book. Now, in the Lehman situation, you have tons of people who are owed by Lehman on terminated swaps, and tons of people who owe Lehman. The problem is the ones who owe Lehman aren't going to pay a bankrupt entity without being asked to do so by the bankruptcy court, and Lehman isn't paying those who it owes. At the very least, you have a massive delay in settling up--not as a result of the scary CDS transaction, but because the intermediary in the transaction went belly up.

flere-imsaho 10-31-2008 09:38 AM

From the "Very Obvious" Files: Mortgage Plan May Irk Those It Doesn’t Help - NYTimes.com

Quote:

As the Treasury Department prepares a $40 billion program to help delinquent homeowners avoid foreclosure, it confronts a difficult challenge: not making the plan too tempting to people like Todd Lawrence.

An airline pilot who lives outside Norwich, Conn., Mr. Lawrence has a traditional 30-year mortgage that he has no trouble paying every month. But, thanks to the plunging real estate market, he owes more on his house than it is worth, like millions of other people.

If the banks, which frequently lent irresponsibly, and many homeowners, who often borrowed irresponsibly, are getting government assistance, Mr. Lawrence says he believes sober souls like himself are also due a break.

“Why am I being punished for having bought a house I could afford?” he asked. “I am beginning to think I would have rocks in my head if I keep paying my mortgage.”

The plan, still under development by Treasury, is part of the economic rescue package passed by Congress earlier this month. It is aimed at aiding up to three million beleaguered homeowners by reducing their monthly payments.

Washington and Wall Street are frantically seeking to stabilize markets by curtailing the onslaught of foreclosures. There are now at least four major plans to aid homeowners. But experts say it is difficult to design these programs in ways that reduce the indebtedness of the distressed without giving everyone else a reason to mail the keys back to their lenders.

“If the lunch truly is free, the demand for free lunches will be large,” said Paul McCulley, a managing director with the investment firm Pimco.

More than 10 million homeowners are underwater like Mr. Lawrence, and their ranks are swelling. In theory, Mr. McCulley points out, underwater homeowners benefit when a neighbor is bailed out instead of surrendering his house to foreclosure. With a foreclosure, the owner becomes the bank, which will care for the house minimally. When the bank finally manages to unload the house months later, the fire-sale price will establish a new floor for the remaining neighbors.

But the benefits of a bailout for his neighbors seem ephemeral to the 45-year-old Mr. Lawrence, especially because he figures the cost of helping them will come, one way or another, out of his pocket as a taxpayer. “I’m basically financing my own financial destruction,” he said.

Government officials say that homeowner bailouts are not a gift. For one thing, they assert, most mortgages will simply be revamped so the monthly payments become affordable for the next few years. Reductions in loan balances, which are drawing the most attention, will generally be a last resort.

“This is not about trying to create fairness,” said Michael H. Krimminger, special adviser for policy at the Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation, which is working with Treasury on the latest plan. “The goal is to keep people in their houses.”

Still, he acknowledged, “a lot of people are angry because they feel some people are getting something they don’t deserve.”

Going into default, whether as a gambit to get a loan modification or to get rid of a burdensome house payment, carries risks. Under some conditions, lenders have the right to sue a borrower for assets beyond the house itself. Then there is the inevitable blot on the borrower’s credit record.

Other factors are intangible: Many owners like their houses and neighborhoods and do not want to leave them. And many people, even as their retirement funds vaporize, consider paying their debts a moral obligation.

Against those considerations must be measured the burden of paying a $500,000 mortgage on a property now worth $350,000.

“From a purely economic standpoint, there’s not a whole lot to be gained from staying,” said Rich Toscano, a San Diego financial adviser whose popular blog, Piggington.com, predicted the collapse.

Homeowners are not the only ones weighing their options. Real estate investors are also wondering if they will be left behind.

“We told our lenders that if you’re writing down 90 percent of your portfolio, we want to be in on it,” said Jason Luker, a principal at Cardinal Group Investments in San Diego. Cardinal owns homes that it rents out.

“If all of our neighbors are getting bailed out despite their own bad decisions, arrogance or ignorance, and we’re asked to keep playing by the rules for the sake of the greater good, I don’t want to participate,” Mr. Luker said.

Peter Schiff, the president of Euro Pacific Capital in Darien, Conn., who prophesied doom before it became fashionable, says he thinks just about everyone who is underwater and has few other assets should stop paying.

“If the government says, ‘Prove that you can’t afford your house and we’ll redo your mortgage,’ then people are going to try to qualify,” Mr. Schiff said.

In that situation, those who will benefit the most are the ones who, unlike Mr. Lawrence, spent far beyond their means — who refinanced their houses and used the cash to buy toys and lavish vacations, or sometimes just to pay the bills.

“You put something down, you have something to lose,” Mr. Schiff said. “You put nothing down, you’ve got nothing to lose.”

Though hard numbers are scarce, estimates are that foreclosures will surpass one million this year. Losses on home loans are piling up faster than banks can deal with them. First Federal Bank of California said this week that as of June 30 it owned 380 foreclosed houses. It managed to sell 329 of them during the third quarter but acquired another 450.

This sense of rapidly losing ground underlies the urgency behind the Treasury’s new plan, which is being developed even as various homeowner bailouts that were announced earlier are just getting under way.

A White House spokeswoman, Dana M. Perino, said on Thursday that the plan was not “imminent” and that several different proposals were being considered.

“If we find one that we think strikes the right notes and could meet all of those standards that we want to protect taxpayers, make sure that it’s also fair and that it would actually have an impact, then we would move forward and we would announce it,” Ms. Perino said.

The Federal Housing Administration began Hope for Homeowners on Oct. 1, aimed at making as many as 400,000 mortgages affordable. Under the program, lenders will refinance loans to 90 percent of a house’s current value, automatically giving the owner 10 percent equity.

The loans will be insured by the government, which will take a share of any gain when the house is sold. If a sale occurs in the first year, the government takes it all. The second year, it takes 90 percent; and so on down a sliding scale. After five years, it takes half the gain.

To guard against fraud, an F.H.A. spokesman said, borrowers will have to certify they did not “intentionally” default.

The Hope Now Alliance, an initiative by a range of lenders, trade groups and counseling agencies, says it has aided 2.3 million borrowers in the last year. Nearly half of Hope Now’s most recent workouts involved modifications of the original loan, including reducing the principal or the interest rate.

Countrywide Financial says it will help 400,000 of its customers through the Nationwide Homeownership Retention Program, slated to begin in December. Countrywide, an aggressive lender during the boom, is now a division of Bank of America.

The $8.4 billion program arose out of a legal settlement, but a Countrywide spokesman, Rick Simon, said the lender now realized that it was cheaper to keep owners in their homes than to let them go into foreclosure.

But not every owner. The program, aimed at those spending more than a third of their household income on a mortgage, property taxes and insurance, is limited to borrowers with subprime and pay-option adjustable-rate mortgages — the worst of the many exotic loan types that proliferated during the boom.

“Confusion or misrepresentation went into the marketing of these loans,” Mr. Simon said. By contrast, a buyer with a standard 30-year mortgage “probably understood the terms.”

Countrywide says it will write down pay-option mortgages to as low as 95 percent of the current value of the home. The borrowers must either be in default or “reasonably likely” to default.

“I guess they are forcing me to deliberately stop paying to look worse than I am,” said one borrower with a Countrywide pay-option loan. “Crazy, don’t you think?”

The borrower, who lives in suburban Los Angeles, took nearly $200,000 in cash out of his house and then paid less than the monthly interest due on his new loan.

He now owes about $350,000 on a house that is worth only $150,000. He asked not to be identified for fear he would not get a modification, which could reduce his mortgage to $142,500.

I love the final part.

flere-imsaho 10-31-2008 09:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by digamma (Post 1875270)
That's very oversimplified, as is most of the mass media on credit default swaps.

Fair enough, and I appreciate the rest of what you wrote, but the bottom-line, to me, is that it seems that a lot of the actors here played fast-and-loose if not with regulations, than at least with common sense. There's a level of unreality here that I feel shouldn't really exist in financial systems.

path12 10-31-2008 10:27 AM

Just wanted to give an update on the situation for Ms.path -- she is going to be able to switch to another position in her company. We're going to take a 20% salary hit which will take all the cushion out of our budget, but we'll be able to tighten our belts and get my stepson through his last 20 months of college barring any unforseen circumstances and then things should improve once that's done.

Thanks to all for the good wishes.

Flasch186 10-31-2008 12:49 PM

Libor's coming down.

SportsDino 10-31-2008 02:51 PM

Come on now, you don't get $60 trillion of exposure on $6 trillion of real financial instruments without some massive gaming.

Here is a little homework for someone trying to understand the modern financials market... research credit default swap exposure and compare it to stock price/bailouts of these finance firms (and insurers like AIG hint hint). I have not lost on a single short I placed on some of the worst offenders by that metric.

$60 trillion exposure on $6 trillion works IF AND ONLY IF the market is under constant expansion. Besides basic theory, which says that doesn't make sense, the entire idea of a credit default swap is that it is indeed possible that such a situation can occur, therefore necessitating trading away some of your bond profit for the 'insurance'.

Heck even the term of a 'matched book' makes CDS sound just like your average sports betting bookie operation.

Common sense says that with a giant downturn and credit freeze, that defaults can happen... and if the defaults trigger insurance that the bookies cannot cover, well we're going to see some more choking in the financials. I personally think we should get to root assets and shore them up, to avoid the low level defaults that lead to bank defaults that lead to CDS being called in... right now the government seems mostly interested in avoiding bank defaults (a valid concern, their tactics suck and can easily be undone by bad behavior from the banks being bailed or those stable banks getting greedy).

I think we need to let a large number of these contacts fail, there is just too much, and the penalty will fall on all sides (wiping out those selling insurance they can't provide completely, and those buying insurance will have to absorb the full loss of their bond default, and the fees).

Meanwhile, buy cheap oil! I can't fathom the sub-70 price, anyone know what the story the talking heads are giving for it is? (not enough time to sniff CNBC lately :( )

GrantDawg 10-31-2008 03:55 PM

Wife just got laid off. Yay!

Fidatelo 10-31-2008 04:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GrantDawg (Post 1875629)

:( Sorry dude

path12 10-31-2008 04:11 PM

Quote:

Ouch. Sorry to hear that.

Flasch186 10-31-2008 04:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SportsDino (Post 1875581)
Meanwhile, buy cheap oil! I can't fathom the sub-70 price, anyone know what the story the talking heads are giving for it is? (not enough time to sniff CNBC lately :( )

Global demand drop, global recession, speculation drove the price up, a future of years where alternative energy gets a drive to innovate, an impetus to drill domestically....etc.

Flasch186 10-31-2008 04:15 PM

Quote:

sorry dude.

GrantDawg 10-31-2008 06:00 PM

Thanks guys. Yeah, two weeks before her Christmas bonus which should have bought our whole present list. Well, at least she got two weeks pay and three recommendation letters. Still sucks.

digamma 10-31-2008 06:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SportsDino (Post 1875581)
Come on now, you don't get $60 trillion of exposure on $6 trillion of real financial instruments without some massive gaming.

Of course there is some speculation going on, but there is also a lot of very sophisticated credit risk management, transaction cost management and exposure management going on.

The $60 trillion number is somewhat misleading, because it double counts matching exposures. For example, if I've sold protection on a name, but hedged by buying protection on the same name from someone else, that is going to go down as two swaps and count into your aggregate number.

One of the problems we've noted a number of times is the lack of transparency, so it is difficult to gauge what an accurate number is for the real swaps "problem." However, the Lehman example may provide some guidance. It is estimated that there was several hundred billion in CDS written on Lehman itself (bets that Lehman would go bankrupt or hit some other credit event), however because a number of those trades were offsetting the actual dollars that changed hands in the CDS market as a result of the bankruptcy was just a fraction of that several hundred billion dollar number. And that's with the firesale price of about 8.5 cents on the dollar attained in the Lehman CDS auction (this means that those who sold protection would make up 91.5 cents on the dollar to the buyer of protection).

Quote:

Here is a little homework for someone trying to understand the modern financials market... research credit default swap exposure and compare it to stock price/bailouts of these finance firms (and insurers like AIG hint hint). I have not lost on a single short I placed on some of the worst offenders by that metric.

Couple things here. First financials have taken a beating all around. You could also correlate mortgage backed holdings to stock price of banks. Unless you shorted Goldman the day before Buffet's investment, you likely haven't lost a single short on a financial in general.

Second, many view swap spreads as a very useful tool in judging the health of a company. If a swap spread widens (meaning protection sellers are charging more to take credit risk with regard to a company), it generally signals that the company is in trouble and this is generally inversely proportional to the stock price.

Third, AIG is a bit of a special case here. They are not a broker dealer matching their books. They are an insurance company, so they generally landed only on the side of the trade selling protection. They had very few offsetting trades and the market downturns were that much more crushing to them. They also got into a bit of trouble because they had written protection contracts for CDOs (collateral debt obligations) that held mainly mortgage backed securities. Big time trouble.

Quote:

$60 trillion exposure on $6 trillion works IF AND ONLY IF the market is under constant expansion. Besides basic theory, which says that doesn't make sense, the entire idea of a credit default swap is that it is indeed possible that such a situation can occur, therefore necessitating trading away some of your bond profit for the 'insurance'.

I've got to be honest, I don't completely follow you here. While of course there was and is speculation going on in the swaps market, there is also a ton of risk management and hedging going on. Swaps price risk. Plain and simple. In theory, they work in either case. In an expanding economy, the protection seller "wins" because he never has to make the contingent payment associated with the default. In a downturn, the protection buyer has his insurance policy, but if the swap has been priced correctly, the seller has been fairly compensated along the way for ultimately bearing the brunt of the default.

Quote:

Heck even the term of a 'matched book' makes CDS sound just like your average sports betting bookie operation.

Not a bad analogy. Broker dealers serve as an intermediary and make money off the bid-ask spread of the swap. If they've done a good job matching their book, they make a tidy sum.

Quote:

Common sense says that with a giant downturn and credit freeze, that defaults can happen... and if the defaults trigger insurance that the bookies cannot cover, well we're going to see some more choking in the financials. I personally think we should get to root assets and shore them up, to avoid the low level defaults that lead to bank defaults that lead to CDS being called in... right now the government seems mostly interested in avoiding bank defaults (a valid concern, their tactics suck and can easily be undone by bad behavior from the banks being bailed or those stable banks getting greedy).

Yes, counterparty risk, as we saw with Lehman, is the elephant in the room. However, it is not what the media has focused upon. Instead the focus has been on the fact that these are "bets" on whether companies fail? Big effing deal. The real risk is the intermediary failing. If you read Buffet's quotes on swaps from several years ago, this is what he was warning about and Lehman is the perfect example of this.

The swaps written on Lehman Brothers have settled in a pretty quiet way. That's done. Auction on October 10th, settlement last week. What isn't done is settling trades that were terminated because of Lehman's default. This is what I mentioned in my earlier post. You have counterparties who owe Lehman on swaps and you have counterparties that Lehman owes. It is going to take more than a year for the bankruptcy court to sort out who owes Lehman what and make those folks pay and distribute proceeds to those Lehman owes.

That is why you are reading about the need to set up an exchange for swaps trading, much like the futures exchanges in place today. This would greatly reduce the counterparty risk, as you would not be dependent on an intermediary to settle your trade. I am skeptical of this happening any time in the near future.

Quote:

I think we need to let a large number of these contacts fail, there is just too much, and the penalty will fall on all sides (wiping out those selling insurance they can't provide completely, and those buying insurance will have to absorb the full loss of their bond default, and the fees).

Again, I don't see individual names defaulting as being a major shock to the CDS market. CDS are marked to market, and collateral is moved on a daily or weekly basis. Auctions are held and triggered swaps are settled. I went back and looked it up, and since the beginning of October, there have been 7 CDS auction protocols for CDS names that hit triggers. That's more than in all of 2006 and 2007 combined. There are an additional 4 scheduled in the next few weeks. Those auctions haven't really disrupted the market and all resulting transactions settled efficiently.

The ISDA protocols are pretty developed in their operation in the face of an individual name default. The ISDA agreements are also pretty smooth in how they handle these. The first big one in October were the Fannie and Freddie bail outs. I went to work that Monday dreading the pending credit event. I spent a total of about half an hour on the whole thing. Very smooth process. And again because of the pricing and collateral movement, most losses on individual names are mostly absorbed by the time of the default.

As I said above, the bigger issue in my mind is counterparty risk. That is why the banks and brokers are looked upon with a little more care. When the intermediary goes away, everyone pays (either in time or money (or both)).

Swaps are an easy target right now because people don't understand them. Has speculation on companies downfall contributed to some of the market panic? Of course. Should there be more transparency in the CDS market? Probably. Would an exchange help? Definitely. Is banning swaps the answer? Definitely not.

Quote:

Not a commodities guy, but BUY! BUY! BUY!

digamma 10-31-2008 06:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GrantDawg (Post 1875694)
Thanks guys. Yeah, two weeks before her Christmas bonus which should have bought our whole present list. Well, at least she got two weeks pay and three recommendation letters. Still sucks.

Ugh...that sucks. All my best.

Buccaneer 10-31-2008 09:14 PM

I do not what the source of this is or who Horowitz is but stories like continues to confirm my belief that the federal govt should not be in the charity business - but many people are still willing to give them more power and funds to do more things like is (esp. for other industries). Fools.

$50 billion of bailout going to employee bonuses

Posted Oct 31 2008, 07:30 AM by Andrew Horowitz
Rating:
Filed under: Merrill Lynch, Morgan Stanley, Goldman Sachs, banking, Andrew Horowitz

As if the economic bailout by U.S. taxpayers isn't enough to make you sick to your stomach, new information has come to light that several banks are planning to pay billions of dollars in year-end bonuses from the bailout funds they received. Investigations are beginning into the nine banks that took in the first $125 billion -- the same $125 billion that was supposed to be used to unclog the credit system which was preventing banks from providing much needed funds for individuals and businesses.
There are many feathers in a ruffle over this and New York Attorney General Andrew Cuomo and several congressmen are furious that over $20 billion has already been earmarked as bonus funds for management and employees. Unbelievably, that is just the estimates from Goldman Sachs, Morgan Stanley and Merrill Lynch. There are six more banks that are also working on similar heists.
Here is their rationale for using that money: It is reported that the financial industry pays base salaries in the range of $80,000 to $600,000 and apparently that is simply not enough to keep some of the best and brightest working to keep their companies profitable. It seems that if they were paid only this meager amount, the company would risk mass defections. That would be a real problem...or would it?
Maybe it is time to peg annual bonuses to something meaningful like profitability. As I recall, not only are these the firms that have been losing money (as is evident by the need for a massive multi-billion dollar bailout) but they have also been shown to be the creators of securitization, derivatives, sub-prime mortgages and other toxic credit that is the root cause of this historic global economic catastrophe!
Maybe I am being too harsh? Perhaps management is entitled to hundreds of millions in bonuses for the hard work they do, day in and day out. You have to feel sorry for them as most have had to give up their private jets and instead fly in a cramped seat in first class. Surely most will now have to wonder how they will deal with the excess workload as they have had to fire thousands of employees. Also, they will need to use a good chunk of that money to rebuild their retirement plans as much of their wealth was tied up in their company's stock which, under their leadership, could be down more than 60% just this year alone.

Flasch186 10-31-2008 09:29 PM

I agree that this is an outrage but I also believe that the payouts will not occur.

Galaxy 10-31-2008 11:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buccaneer (Post 1875775)
I do not what the source of this is or who Horowitz is but stories like continues to confirm my belief that the federal govt should not be in the charity business - but many people are still willing to give them more power and funds to do more things like is (esp. for other industries). Fools.

$50 billion of bailout going to employee bonuses

Posted Oct 31 2008, 07:30 AM by Andrew Horowitz
Rating:
Filed under: Merrill Lynch, Morgan Stanley, Goldman Sachs, banking, Andrew Horowitz

As if the economic bailout by U.S. taxpayers isn't enough to make you sick to your stomach, new information has come to light that several banks are planning to pay billions of dollars in year-end bonuses from the bailout funds they received. Investigations are beginning into the nine banks that took in the first $125 billion -- the same $125 billion that was supposed to be used to unclog the credit system which was preventing banks from providing much needed funds for individuals and businesses.
There are many feathers in a ruffle over this and New York Attorney General Andrew Cuomo and several congressmen are furious that over $20 billion has already been earmarked as bonus funds for management and employees. Unbelievably, that is just the estimates from Goldman Sachs, Morgan Stanley and Merrill Lynch. There are six more banks that are also working on similar heists.
Here is their rationale for using that money: It is reported that the financial industry pays base salaries in the range of $80,000 to $600,000 and apparently that is simply not enough to keep some of the best and brightest working to keep their companies profitable. It seems that if they were paid only this meager amount, the company would risk mass defections. That would be a real problem...or would it?
Maybe it is time to peg annual bonuses to something meaningful like profitability. As I recall, not only are these the firms that have been losing money (as is evident by the need for a massive multi-billion dollar bailout) but they have also been shown to be the creators of securitization, derivatives, sub-prime mortgages and other toxic credit that is the root cause of this historic global economic catastrophe!
Maybe I am being too harsh? Perhaps management is entitled to hundreds of millions in bonuses for the hard work they do, day in and day out. You have to feel sorry for them as most have had to give up their private jets and instead fly in a cramped seat in first class. Surely most will now have to wonder how they will deal with the excess workload as they have had to fire thousands of employees. Also, they will need to use a good chunk of that money to rebuild their retirement plans as much of their wealth was tied up in their company's stock which, under their leadership, could be down more than 60% just this year alone.

Are they really the best and brightest if they are the ones who created this mess?

sterlingice 11-01-2008 08:14 PM

Quote:

Sorry :(

SI

darkenigma510 11-01-2008 11:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Galaxy (Post 1875957)
Are they really the best and brightest if they are the ones who created this mess?

the answer is "no".

molson 11-02-2008 10:31 AM

The Iraq war was a more efficient use of government resources than this disaster. And we haven't even started feeling the effects.

flere-imsaho 11-02-2008 10:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by molson (Post 1876757)
The Iraq war was a more efficient use of government resources than this disaster. And we haven't even started feeling the effects.

Except for the 4000 deaths, I'd agree. If we're just talking dollar numbers, then you're absolutely correct. At least we're eventually going to get oil out of Iraq. At this point I'd say a lof of the $750 billion is going to disappear into the ether.

molson 11-02-2008 10:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flere-imsaho (Post 1876772)
Except for the 4000 deaths, I'd agree. If we're just talking dollar numbers, then you're absolutely correct. At least we're eventually going to get oil out of Iraq. At this point I'd say a lof of the $750 billion is going to disappear into the ether.

Agreed, the deaths and impact on families and foreign relations in general push the "total balance" in the other direction in terms of failures. But in terms of money, at least it was a boom to the defense industry and employed a lot of people.

SteveMax58 11-02-2008 03:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by molson (Post 1876776)
But in terms of money, at least it was a boom to the defense industry and employed a lot of people.

I could think of at least 3 ways to use that money that would have a much better impact to the economy:

1. Build Nuke Plants/Upgrade Energy grid - employ people while migrating towards energy independance. What a concept. As a side effect, you may just "inspire" car manufacturers to build electric cars which can run on that nice, new, clean(relatively speaking) grid. More jobs and energy independance=stimulated economy=stronger dollar=stable housing market.

2. Pay Seller Credits - Devil is in the details, but I've preached it before that this will allow for graduality in the housing market and allow for people to move down (and up) to homes that are more affordable while helping to even out house values with each sale.

3. Have a "Brewster's Billions" lottery - If I won, I would spend, spend, spend. So in essence, I would create liquidity and stimulus everywhere I go. Oh wait...did Paulson win that? Damn...never bought mine.

SportsDino 11-03-2008 09:09 AM

digamma, my position might be related to the lack of transparency in CDS, but here is my concern.

The main intent of credit default swaps is to set up hedges... an area I am well aware of and support. More tools to manage risk the merrier in my opinion.

My concern though is that it has literally become a betting game where the exposure is not being reduced in all cases, but instead you may have firms using it as another way to make huge money with their huge leverage.

For instance, if you only sell insurance, and that is all your firm does, that is not really a hedged position, it is all a bet on the market going one way (up). I'm curious as to how many firms have done just that.

Already they have shown they don't do their homework when it comes to buying mortgage backed securities they DO NOT UNDERSTAND... now I'm nervous they have set up insurance with places that are not stable to provide it, and of course what happens when that falls through. So far you are saying it is going smoothly, so maybe its not a big deal... but I don't think the risk is being managed by CDS if the portfolio is about 10 times the size of the economy it is hedging. I could understand maybe 2-3 times... but to me it seems like the same thing as a mortgage company having 30 to 1 leverage, it is doomed on a downswing.

I guess you are right, shorting just about any financial has been good lately... so I guess look at bailouts/crashes and cds exposure. Lehman, Bear Sterns, AIG are some examples. There have been some foreign meltdowns, so looking at them might be even more informative (I have not as of yet, but I got a hunch).

flere-imsaho 11-03-2008 09:21 AM

It does seem that an insurance instrument being used for speculation is the kind of thing that should be regulated against.

digamma 11-03-2008 09:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SportsDino (Post 1877349)
digamma, my position might be related to the lack of transparency in CDS, but here is my concern.

The thing I'm saying is that the bigger concern now is not in individual name CDS. It is in counterparty risk. People who traded CDS on Lehman Brothers have settled and are done with the issue. People who traded CDS with Lehman Brothers have a long fight ahead of them to recover anything owed to them.

Lack of transparency does play a role because you want to try to diligence the strength of your counterparty. Because of the lack of transparency, that becomes very difficult.

stevew 11-04-2008 12:46 AM

Sorry GrantDawg. Mine just spent the summer in the same boat.

stevew 11-04-2008 12:49 AM

Maybe I'm naive, but I think McCain could have gotten a lot of points out of saying "fuck the bailout, the taxpayers are going to get raped here!"

Of course, he voted for it anyways. Schmuck.

SportsDino 11-05-2008 05:52 PM

Probably will be a lot of talk of the 5% drop in the DOW today, but one reason I keep whining to avoid spot prices... even with the drop we are still well over the two week low. Does 500 points come off the board because of Obama, or because it was put on the board to begin with the week before the election and its time for profit taking?

In other news, oil still sucks, but I ironically decided to directly play futures for the first time the day before the election (most of my oil speculation occurs through indirect means in the past). I hate the thought of owning barrels and barrels of crude oil, so I was fully intending to offload it on any uptick.

Yesterday I come back from voting and see I made 8% in a day (before my auto-transaction was triggered). Wacky damn economy! BTW oil futures are back down of course a mere day later.

So I'm just making all this noise because I get annoyed by all the market pundits in the media who seem to be feeding this mad speculative market with all the crazy excuses they have for a one day 5% DOW drop. You would think they would just admit they don't know poo and are talking out their ass (actually nevermind, they KNOW they are speaking shit).

Anyhoo, curious about other's thoughts about how Obama election (or house elections) will impact the economy in the long term.

Tekneek 11-05-2008 06:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SportsDino (Post 1880807)
Does 500 points come off the board because of Obama, or because it was put on the board to begin with the week before the election and its time for profit taking?

It means nothing more than what it is. Just like when it tanked when the first bailout attempt failed, and then took a dive when the real bailout finally was passed. Did that mean they were unhappy the first one failed and also unhappy when the other one passed?

SFL Cat 11-06-2008 09:57 AM

You think things are bad now. Wait until the Commercial Credit Crisis begins in earnest, when all the loans on heavily leveraged buyouts start tanking...it will make the Mortgage Crisis fiasco look like kids' stuff.

SFL Cat 11-06-2008 10:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tekneek (Post 1880813)
It means nothing more than what it is. Just like when it tanked when the first bailout attempt failed, and then took a dive when the real bailout finally was passed. Did that mean they were unhappy the first one failed and also unhappy when the other one passed?

The people on Wall Street aren't stoopid. If they think Obama's policies will negatively affect business, they'll move capital into other investments.

What we're seeing now is just the continued volatility of the past few months. However by March, April of next year, Wall Street should have a decent read on where Obama is going and will react accordingly.

Tekneek 11-06-2008 10:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SFL Cat (Post 1881327)
What we're seeing now is just the continued volatility of the past few months. However by March, April of next year, Wall Street should have a decent read on where Obama is going and will react accordingly.

They're just waiting on the official naming of his intended economic team. They won't have to wait until March or April to know where he is leaning, they will have a good idea when those names come out.

SFL Cat 11-06-2008 10:45 AM

Yes, I agree his economic team selections will influence the market a bit, but I think they will still wait to see whether Obama intends to govern as the centrist he ran as, or slides radically to the left.

molson 11-06-2008 06:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tekneek (Post 1880813)

People will use the results for whatever spin they subscribe to. When it tanked after the bailout failed, we heard "this will keep happening until you pass it". Then they pass it, more tanking, and that's "just what it is".

I have no doubt that if the stock market was up 800 points in the last few days, the election result would be credited as the reason.

SirFozzie 11-11-2008 06:04 PM

Ouch. Talk about the Ogre's choice.

The Demos are trying to get the auto makers bailed out (again) before the next session comes in, and promising if it gets stalled till then, they'll make it their first priority come January.

I've seen folks urge against it, saying that the auto industry is too deep in the red, and we might as well let them fail naturally. The problem is, that approximately 1 in 10 folks would be out of work if we let them die, through direct layoffs, the knock on effects on the credit market, etcetera.

Die fast, or die slow, is the situation right now.

Tekneek 11-11-2008 06:35 PM

Why bail them out? Let's take our lumps now, however big, bad, and horrible they end up being. Putting bad companies like those on life support is merely going to delay the inevitable. It isn't like they have some terrific strategy and plan, and just need the money to make it happen. They have no plan beyond begging for some money.

Marc Vaughan 11-12-2008 06:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tekneek (Post 1884994)
Why bail them out? Let's take our lumps now, however big, bad, and horrible they end up being. Putting bad companies like those on life support is merely going to delay the inevitable. It isn't like they have some terrific strategy and plan, and just need the money to make it happen. They have no plan beyond begging for some money.

I was very surprised when I moved to America to realise that in many ways the country is far more socialist than England.

There are far more market restrictions over here than back home, for instance the propping up of companies which are obviously non-competitive (compared to England letting our car, steel, coal industries collapse in similar situations) and the frankly shocking protectionist situation with some other industries (e.g. you don't allow ANY non-American banks into the country ).

This sort of thing is almost begging for a wastage of resources and inefficient market structure imho (such as the way your banks are setup to discourage saving and charge customers what in most other countries would be unreasonable amounts for basic services).

Flasch186 11-12-2008 07:48 AM

FWIW, I can understand the push to help the automakers. Im not sure how I feel about it although the speculation of 1 in 10 people losing their jobs if they should fail is a bit scary.

HOWEVER, I say fuck AMEX. they and their cohorts went out of their way to screw the consumer in the push to change the bankruptcy law and now that the consumer is squeezed and cant pay them, they have som 'bad debt' on their books and want help. I say fuck you to Amex.

bob 11-12-2008 08:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flasch186 (Post 1885261)
the speculation of 1 in 10 people losing their jobs

Where does that number come from? I'm not saying that you are wrong, but it seems absurdly high to me.

SFL Cat 11-12-2008 08:26 AM

What we need is the Alpha Bailout. Let the gov give every eligible taxpayer $500K. That way we can all pay off our mortgages, loans, bad debts, etc., etc., etc. People could save what they don't use, and it probably wouldn't cost the government much more than what they've paid bailing out the mortgage, insurance, banking, and (more than likely) the auto industry. :popcorn:

Mizzou B-ball fan 11-12-2008 08:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bob (Post 1885278)
Where does that number come from? I'm not saying that you are wrong, but it seems absurdly high to me.

The actual number of jobs lost for the auto industry is 2.5 million jobs, which doesn't reach 10%. I'm guessing that 10% number may be a situation where all of the industries that supply the auto industry that may be affected are included in the total jobs lost.

lordscarlet 11-12-2008 09:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SFL Cat (Post 1885279)
What we need is the Alpha Bailout. Let the gov give every eligible taxpayer $500K. That way we can all pay off our mortgages, loans, bad debts, etc., etc., etc. People could save what they don't use, and it probably wouldn't cost the government much more than what they've paid bailing out the mortgage, insurance, banking, and (more than likely) the auto industry. :popcorn:

200 000 000 * 500 000 = 100,000,000,000,000

SFL Cat 11-12-2008 11:03 AM

Looks good!

We'll just print up more money to cover it!

Edward64 11-12-2008 11:41 AM

Well, I guess this should alleviate some concerns on government buying bad assets. Not sure how they can change it on the fly, haven't we already bought a bunch of troubled assets?

Paulson: Troubled assets won't be purchased - Economy in Turmoil

Quote:

WASHINGTON - Treasury Secretary Henry Paulson said Wednesday the $700 billion government rescue program will not be used to purchase troubled assets as originally planned.

Paulson said the administration will continue to use $250 billion of the program to purchase stock in banks as a way to bolster their balance sheets and encourage them to resume more normal lending.

He announced a new goal for the program to support financial markets, which supply consumer credit in such areas as credit card debt, auto loans and student loans.

Paulson said that 40 percent of U.S. consumer credit is provided through selling securities that are backed by pools of auto loans and other such debt. He said these markets need support.

“This market, which is vital for lending and growth, has for all practical purposes ground to a halt,” Paulson said.

The administration decided that using billions of dollars to buy troubled assets of financial institutions at the current time was “not the most effective way” to use the $700 billion bailout package, he said.

The announcement marked a major shift for the administration which had talked only about purchasing troubled assets as it lobbied Congress to pass the massive bailout bill.

SirFozzie 11-12-2008 11:44 AM

yeah, the 1 in 10 is a knock on effect.

http://detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/art...TO01/811030343

The importance of the auto sector will be underscored this week when the Center for Automotive Research plans to release a new analysis of the impact on the economy if operations cease at any of the Big Three. McAlinden said the resulting drop in tax income and other losses over three years would far exceed the amount being sought in government aid. When the jobs tied to everything from buying a car to washing it and refining the gas that fuels it are added to the total, more than 14 million U.S. workers -- about 1 in 10 -- can draw a line from their job back to an auto factory or office worker, according to CAR.

Flasch186 11-12-2008 11:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bob (Post 1885278)

CNBC. Those working directly and indirectly for the companies (ie. parts, HR, labor, etc. etc. etc.) and also it's affiliates, manufacturers, etc. I thought it sounded high BUT if true that changes the dynamic of there (or another employer of the same size to stay solvent).

bob 11-12-2008 12:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SirFozzie (Post 1885399)
When the jobs tied to everything from buying a car to washing it and refining the gas that fuels it are added to the total, more than 14 million U.S. workers -- about 1 in 10 -- can draw a line from their job back to an auto factory or office worker, according to CAR.

So that number is quite inflated. If Ford and GM shut down today, I wouldn't stop buying gas or washing my existing car. And if I needed to buy a car, I'd have to buy a foreign one, driving up demand for them and most likely increasing the number of jobs necessary to support foreign plants in the US.

I'm not saying its a pretty picture if Ford or GM go down, but it isn't like 1 out of 10 people is unemployed within a month either.

digamma 11-12-2008 12:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Edward64 (Post 1885396)
Well, I guess this should alleviate some concerns on government buying bad assets. Not sure how they can change it on the fly, haven't we already bought a bunch of troubled assets?

Paulson: Troubled assets won't be purchased - Economy in Turmoil

No. TARP was never implemented. They only implemented the first step in the plan which was to buy all of the preferred bank stock.

Logan 11-12-2008 03:13 PM

And yet the program continues to be called TARP, which is weird. Unless the "troubled assets" being bought refer to bank stock.