Front Office Football Central

Front Office Football Central (http://forums.operationsports.com/fofc//index.php)
-   Off Topic (http://forums.operationsports.com/fofc//forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   The thread for Strange News Stories (http://forums.operationsports.com/fofc//showthread.php?t=71772)

thesloppy 06-17-2016 06:14 AM

Long-term marijuana use changes brain's reward circuit

Quote:

Researchers studied 59 adult marijuana users and 70 nonusers, accounting for potential biases such as traumatic brain injury and other drug use. Study participants rated their urge to use marijuana after looking at various visual cannabis cues, such as a pipe, bong, joint or blunt, and self-selected images of preferred fruit, such as a banana, an apple, grapes or an orange.

"We found that this disruption of the reward system correlates with the number of problems, such as family issues, individuals have because of their marijuana use," Filbey said. "Continued marijuana use despite these problems is an indicator of marijuana dependence."

So. Now, let's just be clear here. You're comparing the indicators for dependence between weed and a banana? I think even the most ardent of pot heads will give you that one, Einstein. File that shit somewhere super important. But, I'm not even sure that's it. It sounds like at some point they were showing pictures of fruit to nonusers with brain injuries, and then rating their urge to smoke weed. "How about this cantaloupe. Nice, huh? On a scale of 1 to 10, how high do you want to get right now?"

Honolulu_Blue 06-17-2016 07:04 AM

Woman 'drop-kicks' Kroger cake, saying it was 'ruined'

Ajaxab 06-17-2016 08:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue (Post 3105249)

The last sentence of that story is brilliant. "Police may never know what the birthday cake looked like." That cake may as well be Atlantis.

cuervo72 06-17-2016 09:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thesloppy (Post 3105241)
Long-term marijuana use changes brain's reward circuit

So. Now, let's just be clear here. You're comparing the indicators for dependence between weed and a banana? I think even the most ardent of pot heads will give you that one, Einstein. File that shit somewhere super important. But, I'm not even sure that's it. It sounds like at some point they were showing pictures of fruit to nonusers with brain injuries, and then rating their urge to smoke weed. "How about this cantaloupe. Nice, huh? On a scale of 1 to 10, how high do you want to get right now?"

Quote:

Researchers have demonstrated that long-term marijuana users had more activity in the brain's reward processes when presented with cannabis cues than with natural reward cues.

What that implies to me is that if given choice A (marijuana-related) or choice B (non-marijuana-related), users are going to increasingly opt for A because their brain is telling them that this is the more valued reward. That pot use will after time reinforce itself. Should I smoke pot, or go out with my friends? I think I'll smoke pot. Should I do a bong, or look after my kids? I'll do the bong. Smoking cues start to mean more.

Quote:

When presented with marijuana cues compared to fruit, marijuana users showed enhanced response in the brain regions associated with reward

The cues are triggering them to want to seek out the "reward." Maybe their body isn't craving it, but their brain is steered that way.

thesloppy 06-17-2016 01:59 PM

Yeah, I understand the gist of the method, but again, I'm just not sure if we need to test those indicators against the baseline of a banana. Everyone on the planet is probably already willing to give you that one. It may have also concluded that the more you show a stoner a picture of a bong/weed, or suggest marijuana to him, that his urge for marijuana will progressively rise each time...but again: duh?

I'm certain that the study would have the same results if you replaced marijuana with candy, cigarettes, alcohol, nudity, coffee, firearms, high-sodium processed foods, and probably popular retail goods, which doesn't do anything to question or dismiss it's validity, but it does seem a few paces behind plain common sense.

AlexB 06-17-2016 06:55 PM

Gotham residents told their address 'doesn't exist' - BBC News

cuervo72 06-17-2016 08:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thesloppy (Post 3105347)
Yeah, I understand the gist of the method, but again, I'm just not sure if we need to test those indicators against the baseline of a banana. Everyone on the planet is probably already willing to give you that one. It may have also concluded that the more you show a stoner a picture of a bong/weed, or suggest marijuana to him, that his urge for marijuana will progressively rise each time...but again: duh?

I'm certain that the study would have the same results if you replaced marijuana with candy, cigarettes, alcohol, nudity, coffee, firearms, high-sodium processed foods, and probably popular retail goods, which doesn't do anything to question or dismiss it's validity, but it does seem a few paces behind plain common sense.

I would guess they are trying to study the argument "pot isn't addictive." And it may be true that addiction is rare in a physical sense (as opposed to nicotine, alcohol), but like the other examples you point out, addiction can be mental. That may seem obvious, but things are studied to actually test common beliefs (which could well be wrong).

thesloppy 06-17-2016 08:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cuervo72 (Post 3105409)
I would guess they are trying to study the argument "pot isn't addictive." And it may be true that addiction is rare in a physical sense (as opposed to nicotine, alcohol), but like the other examples you point out, addiction can be mental. That may seem obvious, but things are studied to actually test common beliefs (which could well be wrong).

Yeah, good point. I guess marijuana advocates could even take it as a good sign if the fed's compass has moved to "it's more addictive than fruit" rather than "it drives the negro men sex mad!"

thesloppy 06-17-2016 09:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cuervo72 (Post 3105409)

From another site: "...maybe smoking weed just makes me hate fruit?" I larfed.

mckerney 06-22-2016 05:49 PM

For men, the importance of safe sex may depend on how hot their partner is | Ars Technica

mckerney 07-10-2016 05:01 PM

Artist sued for $5M over painting he insists he didn’t paint

mckerney 07-13-2016 10:10 PM

Potato leads to arson charge against Connecticut stripper - News - providencejournal.com - Providence, RI

mckerney 08-30-2016 09:40 AM

Vladimir Putin arrested at Publix

Quote:

WEST PALM BEACH (CBS12) — Vladimir Putin is facing trespassing charges.

Police responded to a Publix supermarket in downtown West Palm Beach following a report of a man screaming at employees.

Managers tried to get Putin to leave but he refused.

He told West Palm Beach Police officers he missed his ride.

Putin appeared in court Monday morning. He's also facing a charge of resisting/obstructing officer without violence.

NobodyHere 09-30-2016 11:57 AM

Denzel Washington takes plea deal in strangling of Aretha Franklin | Fox News

Critch 11-17-2016 11:02 PM

Vegan single mum drinks sperm smoothies every morning to give her energy

cuervo72 11-17-2016 11:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Critch (Post 3130023)

"Should we all be including sperm in our diets?"

Gonna say no.

bhlloy 11-25-2016 06:21 PM

What the fucking fuck... strange, sad and this woman should be put up against a wall and shot

http://www.cnn.com/2016/11/25/health...ent/index.html

Suicane75 11-26-2016 01:10 AM

What a shitty mom, doing that kind of crap.

NobodyHere 11-30-2016 01:59 PM

Police in Canada have a new punishment for suspected drunk drivers: Listening to Nickelback

I guess Canadia doesn't have the equivalent of the 8th Amendment?

PilotMan 12-30-2016 12:03 AM

Miami Fan Punches West Virginia Fan After Arguing Over Who Gets To Pee First

Critch 01-03-2017 08:17 AM

How 3 friends out for defecation on railway tracks averted major accident

Suicane75 01-03-2017 08:41 AM

Open defecation is bad for individuals' and society's health. It has been responsible for spread of several diseases and in many cases, crimes against women.

Ummm. I can't figure out if that's meant to imply that a woman will get a beating for shitting in the street, or seeing a woman taking a shit in the street sends Indian men into a rapey lust. I'm assuming both.

QuikSand 01-13-2017 01:11 PM

Restaurant Workers Thwart Knife-Wielding Robber With Ladle

QuikSand 01-17-2017 11:55 AM

Rape, Child Molestation Allegations Would Require Outside Corroboration Under Ridiculous New Hampshire Bill - Hit & Run : Reason.com

Seems like a solid idea.

JPhillips 01-28-2017 10:04 AM

Already we have a candidate for lede of the year:

Quote:

A Georgia lawmaker is recovering from a gunshot wound after he says he was shot behind an adult entertainment store while traveling with several thousand dollars in donations for storm relief efforts.

https://apnews.com/b26268d1b1714de38...=APSouthRegion

Ben E Lou 01-28-2017 03:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JPhillips (Post 3143079)
Already we have a candidate for lede of the year:

https://apnews.com/b26268d1b1714de38...=APSouthRegion

Whoa whoa whoa whoa!!!

I grew up in Columbus. Victory Drive put the "seed" in "seedy."

Critch 02-16-2017 09:29 AM

The man who dresses up as his ancestors

mckerney 03-03-2017 10:03 AM

This lawmaker’s bio touted a business degree. It was actually a Sizzler training certificate. - The Washington Post

JPhillips 03-10-2017 07:50 AM

Quote:

Frank Ancona, the imperial wizard of the Traditionalist American Knights of the Ku Klux Klan, smelled like cat piss.

http://www.riverfronttimes.com/stlou...wFullText=true

mckerney 03-10-2017 03:01 PM

How one 31-year-old paid off $220000 in student loans in 3 years

Quote:

Back home in Joliet, Illinois, Horton took a job as an operations manager at the nonprofit her mother runs. The salary was comparable to what she made in DC, but the cost of living was drastically less. She increased her student-loan payments, setting the lofty goal of paying them off entirely in a year.

Horton and her boyfriend tied the knot soon after the move. Horton's mother gave the couple a condo that she had purchased at an auction for $13,000 as a wedding gift. It became crucial in wiping away the hefty student-loan tab.

Horton and her husband lived in the condo for three months, but then they decided to move in with her grandparents down the street and started renting out the condo to bring in extra income.

Quote:

To anyone who feels overwhelmed by the prospect of taking on student loans — or paying back any debt they've incurred — Horton has a simple message: "I just want them to feel empowered that they can pay if off. If I can do it, anybody can."

"If I can have my mother give me a job and condo while my grandparents let me live with them rent free then anybody can do it!"

PilotMan 03-11-2017 10:17 AM

That is precisely the example that I would give in trying to explain privilege to someone. I mean, look at all she accomplished and how hard she worked versus someone who had to pay rent, work 2 jobs, and take public transportation to try get ahead. It's not even close.

Someone once asked me why should I considered privileged because I've worked hard to get where I am? I explained that if my parents hadn't have laid it out there and supported me when I needed it I never could have. I'd have failed simply because I would've missed too many opportunities.

Ben E Lou 03-17-2017 09:31 AM

How in the bloody blue HELL have I never seen this before it was texted to me a few minutes ago????

Leprechaun News Report - YouTube

mckerney 03-23-2017 06:29 PM

Police called to South Euclid Taco Bell due to dispute over 'Fire' or 'Mild' sauce - newsnet5.com Cleveland

thesloppy 03-23-2017 07:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ben E Lou (Post 3150556)
How in the bloody blue HELL have I never seen this before it was texted to me a few minutes ago????

Leprechaun News Report - YouTube

I joyously remember this video, and then immediately forget about it, every St. Patty's day. It has so many layers. "I want the gold, give ME the gold!"

AlexB 03-30-2017 11:48 AM

Sharknado!

Cyclone Debbie dumps bull shark in middle of Queensland road

CrescentMoonie 04-03-2017 07:37 PM

The 'Grammar Vigilante': Defender Of Truth, Justice, And The Grammarian Way

Draft Dodger 04-04-2017 09:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CrescentMoonie (Post 3153790)

I'm probably not the only person who IMMEDIATELY thought of this place when I first saw that

Critch 05-02-2017 10:22 PM

Honoring a Fellow Fan, One Ballpark Bathroom at a Time

mckerney 05-05-2017 07:35 PM

Ukraine bans Steven Seagal as threat to national security | Culture | The Guardian

JPhillips 05-12-2017 03:27 PM

http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/...icle-1.3159660

New Jersey man high on PCP busted after he stops car in the middle of the Lincoln Tunnel to masturbate

mckerney 05-13-2017 02:26 PM

Sting operation leads to recovery of stolen bees

albionmoonlight 06-18-2017 07:05 PM

Drunk farmer 'starts fight with his own pig but dies after having three fingers and his privates bitten off'

Wolfpack 06-19-2017 08:44 PM

That's a headline that your mood progressively worsens as you go left to right reading it.

NobodyHere 06-19-2017 08:52 PM

Do they really have to have a picture of a pig drooling?

bhlloy 06-20-2017 03:25 PM

Severed human cocktail toe stolen from Yukon hotel pub - BBC News

It's a cattoestraphy

PilotMan 06-22-2017 11:47 AM

Whipped cream dispenser explodes, killing French Instagram fitness model - The Washington Post

JPhillips 06-23-2017 08:25 AM

Bill Cosby to Teach Young People How to Avoid Sexual Assault Charges

Not the Onion.

AlexB 06-27-2017 01:02 PM

Man gets run over by bus, gets up, dusts himself off, carries on into bar

CCTV footage shows man hit by bus in Reading - BBC News

EagleFan 06-27-2017 01:19 PM

That could have ended really badly. He did the best thing and ride the momentum up off the ground; if his feet stuck on the ground it would have been game over.

Critch 06-27-2017 03:03 PM

Nuclear reaction: Fury after Czech power plant holds bikini beauty contest to win an INTERNSHIP