Front Office Football Central

Front Office Football Central (http://forums.operationsports.com/fofc//index.php)
-   Off Topic (http://forums.operationsports.com/fofc//forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   The Great Recession - post mortem (http://forums.operationsports.com/fofc//showthread.php?t=64320)

JonInMiddleGA 02-17-2009 01:19 PM

I went into this in one of the TV related threads but it probably deserves a brief mention here too.

The latest forecast for advertising spending in the U.S. looks for 2009 to drop to the lowest ratio of advertising to GDP since 1946, in other words the tightest environment in the lifetimes of virtually everyone connected to the business.

albionmoonlight 02-17-2009 01:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA (Post 1946909)
I went into this in one of the TV related threads but it probably deserves a brief mention here too.

The latest forecast for advertising spending in the U.S. looks for 2009 to drop to the lowest ratio of advertising to GDP since 1946, in other words the tightest environment in the lifetimes of virtually everyone connected to the business.

Good luck, man. "Worst in my lifetime" isn't good for anyone trying to make a dollar in a business.

JonInMiddleGA 02-17-2009 02:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by albionmoonlight (Post 1946932)
Good luck, man. "Worst in my lifetime" isn't good for anyone trying to make a dollar in a business.

Thanks, although to be honest I'm pretty much resigned to our fate at this point & am just faking my way through every day until that becomes impossible.
It borders on a miracle that a shop the size of ours has lasted this long when most of the others like us have already folded and by the time it's all said & done I suspect most of the mid-size shops that are still around will be lucky to be even a quarter of their current size.

It is what it is though, y'know?

sterlingice 02-18-2009 08:17 PM

http://biz.yahoo.com/ap/090218/obama...eclosures.html

So? Thoughts on the housing measure today? Keeping in mind, I'm no expert on housing so feel free to correct me if you see something incorrect.

I'm pretty happy with it, but I think it only affects a small number of people.

The first part basically is for people with Fannie and Freddie. Everyone across the board gets an interest rate reduction. I'm ok with this since it's across the board- it's not just people who are behind or anything like that- anyone can refinance if they want and there's liquidity with those companies to do so.

The second part will be interesting to implement. I'm not sure if this really incentivizes the banks to do anything as $1K is chump change to them, even in large quantities. However, I'm also not sure what Obama meant when he talked about banks who took TARP money were going to be held to do this. Hell, I'm not sure he knows.

I kept hearing "real estate experts" hating the plan. Except it seemed like all of them to a man (or woman) were pissed because it didn't involve large amounts of cash going directly to homeowners and ultimately their industry and pockets. Or because it didn't allow prices to be marked down to "market value" with taxpayers essentially footing the difference- again, putting money in their pocket at someone else's expense. In short, all the real estate experts were people in real estate who had a real vested interest on how this went and was perceived.

In the end, I think this helps somewhat but there is still the problem out there of the people who are badly underwater, particularly in those insane markets (Cali, AZ, Fla, the east coast, etc). I don't know what the answer is for them. It's definitely not fair to mark their houses down to "market value" since it penalizes people who did things the right way. Nor is it fair to basically subsidize those loans and pour all of that money back into banks who took silly risks. However, until we address those problems- and I'm not sure what "address those problems" means, particularly in a fair way to homeowners and banks who didn't screw themselves over, do we find a floor in the housing market and ultimately the economy.

SI

Flasch186 02-18-2009 08:34 PM

yes. its a good plan and it doesnt cost any more money than that which has already been earmarked for spending. Moral hazard issues aside this will help people stay int heir homes while not bailing out those who speculated. This is good for the country in the long run.

Buccaneer 02-18-2009 08:55 PM

I really like the 6 questions that were asked and look forward to the answers to those. If the answers are satisfactory, then it would be ok but so far, all we are getting is "the funding would not reward unscrupulous or irresponsible speculators". Everyone should be sceptical and hold the federal govt accountable but too many are simply willing to go along with it without raising valid questions.

albionmoonlight 02-19-2009 06:27 AM

Beer Sales Suffering in Recession

I'm doing my part to keep the industry afloat guys, but I am only one man. We all need to do our part here.

Flasch186 02-19-2009 06:33 AM

I have begun to pay for pRon

JonInMiddleGA 02-19-2009 06:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flasch186 (Post 1948415)
I have begun to pay for pRon

Isn't that kind of like giving the Sultan of Brunei a stimulus package (no pun intended) though? I mean, if there's any industry that probably doesn't need an additional economic injection (pun intended) it's pRon.

sterlingice 02-19-2009 08:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by albionmoonlight (Post 1948414)
Beer Sales Suffering in Recession

I'm doing my part to keep the industry afloat guys, but I am only one man. We all need to do our part here.

:D

Homer: "But what can I do. I'm just... (thinks about it)... one man"

SI

JPhillips 02-19-2009 08:57 AM

Add another 627,000 to the unemployed.

Quote:

Initial claims for state unemployment insurance benefits were a seasonally adjusted 627,000 in the week ended Feb. 14 unchanged from an upwardly revised 627,000 the previous week.

I wish the media would stop causing all these lay-offs.

Raiders Army 02-19-2009 01:33 PM

Queens homeowner pleads: I need your help, President Obama
Quote:

Queens homeowner pleads: I need your help, President Obama
BY Celeste Katz
DAILY NEWS POLITICAL CORRESPONDENT

Wednesday, February 18th 2009, 11:18 PM

Marlo Saab hasn't missed a payment yet but wonders how much longer he can manage the $3,400 in monthly mortgage payments. Marlo Saab bought a $555,000, two-family home in Queens three years ago - no money down.

Now, teetering on the brink of defaulting on his mortgage, Saab is looking to President Obama's plan for struggling homeowners to help him hold on to his house.

"I think that his plan gives us hope," said Saab, 40, a computer technician. "I just want a little help not [to] go down the drain."

When he bought the Jamaica Hills house, Saab got an 80/20 mortgage - splitting his borrowing between two lenders, IndyMac and Countrywide - for a total of $3,400 in monthly payments.

He makes $80,000 a year and says he has a healthy credit rating. The Saabs have rental income and they've paid off their car.

However, Saab's overtime has been slashed. His wife is looking for work. The couple also have renovated their home and spend $10,000 a year to send their two kids to Catholic school.

Saab has racked up $70,000 in credit card bills and borrows from family and friends to make his mortgage. He has never missed a payment, but he's not sure how much longer that can last.

"I've been calling the bank since October," Saab said. "They say, 'There's nothing right now we can [do to] help you ... You have to default first [for us] to look [into] your case.'"

He even has appealed to Rep. Anthony Weiner (D-Brooklyn/Queens) to intervene.

Michael Moskowitz of Manhattan-based lender Equity Now said Saab appears to be a good candidate for aid under the President's proposal.

"[Obama is] trying to take a deserving person whose mortgage is worth more than the property is and refinance them," he said. "It's not good to have people default. It's better to [give] them a lower rate."
I just love how my kids go to a public school and my kids are going to pay for his mistakes. I can also look forward to my grandkids paying for his kids' mistakes.

People like the guy in the article should lose their homes. They deserve to live in a cardboard box for their stupidity.

Marc Vaughan 02-19-2009 02:22 PM

Quote:

I just love how my kids go to a public school and my kids are going to pay for his mistakes. I can also look forward to my grandkids paying for his kids' mistakes.
People like the guy in the article should lose their homes. They deserve to live in a cardboard box for their stupidity.

I actually have a fair bit of sympathy for the chap - so long as he's sensible in his negotiations I'd have thought he's exactly he type of person a bank should want to help.

He's not missing payments and has a reasonable job - as such I'd have thought its in the banks interest to wrangle more interest out of him by extending his mortgage period from the initial duration by another few years and thus giving themselves more interest income during its duration.

Surely this is more sensible than renegotiation for people who have proven to be unable to plan ahead and realise they might have problems in the future and so are trying to cut costs somewhat now? - those people surely are the ones who are most likely to default.

Mizzou B-ball fan 02-19-2009 02:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marc Vaughan (Post 1948938)
I actually have a fair bit of sympathy for the chap - so long as he's sensible in his negotiations I'd have thought he's exactly he type of person a bank should want to help.

He's not missing payments and has a reasonable job - as such I'd have thought its in the banks interest to wrangle more interest out of him by extending his mortgage period from the initial duration by another few years and thus giving themselves more interest income during its duration.

Surely this is more sensible than renegotiation for people who have proven to be unable to plan ahead and realise they might have problems in the future and so are trying to cut costs somewhat now? - those people surely are the ones who are most likely to default.

He's run up 70K in credit card bills. I'm all for simpathy, but no one should ever be granted a 550K loan with no money down and an 80K salary. I was told I was stretching it when I got a $125K loan on a $45K salary. Getting a loan that is 7X your salary is outright stupidity.

Also, there's no guarantee to owning a home. This guy obvious has had problems for 2+ years to get in this situation. At some point, it's time to sever ties and save your finances. There wasn't any planning in regards to this guy.

sterlingice 02-19-2009 02:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marc Vaughan (Post 1948938)

I agree with that, Marc. He's trying to pay his bills the right way (sort of, tho running $70K in credit card debt isn't the right way).

The one problem I have is that there's no way anyone should be buying a house with 0 down.

And they sure as hell shouldn't be buying a home costing $550K on that salary, even assuming his wife makes about the same. Especially not with kids and a $10K per year high school. I think my college cost less than that after scholarships.

SI

Mustang 02-19-2009 02:33 PM

There is a line between being an idiot and bad luck. He crossed it to the idiot side.

JonInMiddleGA 02-19-2009 02:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan (Post 1948941)
I was told I was stretching it when I got a $125K loan on a $45K salary.

Was that "stretching it" to comfortably make the payment each month or "stretching it" as far as how much they were willing to lend you?

If the latter then somebody really must have not liked your tie or something, because 6x to 8x of salary seemed to be pretty common for at least several years.
(edit to add) That's not to say it's a good idea to do it, but banks were definitely handing that out.

Our current mortgage is similar to the ratio you did but the bank was downright bewildered that we would "settle" for this house when we could have been financed for at least twice the price we eventually paid. And that doesn't seem to have been an uncommon scenario from other stories I've heard from that time frame (roughly 3 years ago).

JonInMiddleGA 02-19-2009 02:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sterlingice (Post 1948943)
I think my college cost less than that after scholarships.

It's doesn't seem uncommon for private schools now to cost more annually than the parents paid for their college. That's actually become a running joke with people we know, as we all look forward to our kids going off to college so we can save money.

gstelmack 02-19-2009 02:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sterlingice (Post 1948943)
I agree with that, Marc. He's trying to pay his bills the right way (sort of, tho running $70K in credit card debt isn't the right way).

The one problem I have is that there's no way anyone should be buying a house with 0 down.

And they sure as hell shouldn't be buying a home costing $550K on that salary, even assuming his wife makes about the same. Especially not with kids and a $10K per year high school. I think my college cost less than that after scholarships.

SI

I have 2 kids and am probably in roughly the same salary ballpark, and our $230K home has been a reasonable mortgage payment. I'm glad we didn't do much more home. $550K home would have KILLED us.

gstelmack 02-19-2009 02:41 PM

Rental income is the interesting question here, and I wonder if the rental property was put down as collateral or something...

JPhillips 02-19-2009 03:03 PM

Regardless of the man's financial planning, this is precisely the kind of situation where it greatly benefits the bank to renegotiate terms. If they foreclose they'll be lucky to sell the home for 400K and they'll have the costs of foreclosure as well as all the costs associated with selling a home. Meanwhile the home is providing zero income for the bank while it's on the market.

There are moral hazards involved in redoing mortgages, but it's almost always better for the lender to keep payments, even if reduced, coming in.

Anthony 02-19-2009 04:28 PM

his kids don't have to go to private school. pull them out and use their tuition for mortgage payments. fuck him, kick his family out to the curb and let them freeze on the street. its not their God-given right to be in a home and have private schooling for their kids. you provide the life for your kids that you can afford, not the one you want (and then subsequently ask for assistance to help you maintain).

Raiders Army 02-19-2009 04:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JPhillips (Post 1948969)
Regardless of the man's financial planning, this is precisely the kind of situation where it greatly benefits the bank to renegotiate terms. If they foreclose they'll be lucky to sell the home for 400K and they'll have the costs of foreclosure as well as all the costs associated with selling a home. Meanwhile the home is providing zero income for the bank while it's on the market.

There are moral hazards involved in redoing mortgages, but it's almost always better for the lender to keep payments, even if reduced, coming in.

I can see the numbers supporting this. The problem I have is that people (such as myself) who did not poorly plan have to pay for it.

SportsDino 02-19-2009 05:04 PM

This is certainly one of those cases where the banks should be renegotiating to protect their own bottom line (a 550K mortgage being paid back, even with reworking the terms, is better than it defaulting and getting a house now worth 300K or 200K). Most banks are too stupid to do that sort of math.

Government bailout though, I don't know... I personally think the government should step in and provide a rework of any mortgage someone wants to submit to the program (before the missed payment or default situation), but that it have tough terms and not involve handouts so much as massed bargaining power to get banks to submit to refinancing (rather than stonewalling, killing mortgages and banks, banks are too shortsighted on their own lately to see this).

I do not think anyone in this sort of situation needs any more assistance other than the government to tell the bank: 'rework the rate to extend the term, create an interest rate to generate more long term revenue but make the payments possible'. We want less defaults,especially of people who can pay, all of us want that banks included... that is how you stabilize this housing mess as a first step.

Handouts though, I say screw him. Unfortunately govt only understands throwing money at things rather than attacking problems with solutions that require thought.

SportsDino 02-19-2009 05:16 PM

dola, let me pre-clarify to avoid confusion:

I don't want the government to give this guy money to stay in that expensive house.

I want the government to have some way where it can force banks to rework a mortgage.

The method of that reworking should be along the lines of:
- converting crazy ass loans into fixed term loans.
- extending the term of loans as needed to reduce monthly payments
- fixing interest rates to not adjust to the craziness caused by the current crisis... whatever the terms of the crazy contract may have been.
- void any overly harsh fees or clauses that are cleary designed to screw over homeowners in the banks favor, or make reworking mortgages harder.

The costs associated with such reworking is that banks would have given out loans expecting crazy clauses to increase their future value. I think that source of profit though is mostly evil in nature, banks trying to screw over consumers, so screw em in the earhole and tell the banks to eat the cost of having their precious fees and tricks removed.

Another cost is extending the term of loans does change risk profile of said loan. Although usually a longer term would have a lower risk rate in normal times, in this era there may be issues from having your money in the market for a longer period of time, but I'd say its an acceptable cost for handling the short term shocks to the system we are seeing. Longer terms also effects situations where the consumer may want to sell the house in the future, the government rework should clearly take that into consideration and prevent ways of reworking the loan that may make it too easy to offload the house at random prices in a recovery and screw the banks. This is why I tend to avoid changes to principle balance in this policy, ripe for exploit.

If the balance alone is enough to kill this house, which may be the case here, than I saw screw the guy. You are not entitled to irresponsible levels of credit and massive luxury in life. Hell I went through all sorts of shit just for having a debt of 5,000 (10,000 after bank tricks)... so I have little sympathy for people with 100 times the debt I had being mollycoddled.

JPhillips 02-19-2009 05:19 PM

I don't understand why Congress hasn't changed bankruptcy law to allow judges the ability to renegotiate mortgages during bankruptcy proceedings.

And with that I'd support sending guys like this into bankruptcy proceedings.

SportsDino 02-19-2009 05:27 PM

I'd rather avoid mass bankruptcy though. The hard economist in me says its probably best to just hit everyone with a giant mallet who made any sort of stumble in the last decade... but really to help stabilize the situation we want as many people as possible to stay current with their debts and keep working business as usual. Some lifestyles need to be crushed, particularly those of the mega-rich credit junkies... but bankruptcy is one of those things that hurts all sides involved really (creditors, the person extended the credit, the government, future loan seekers, banks).... lawyers might get away with some money, but they always seem to be able to do that.

sterlingice 02-19-2009 06:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SportsDino (Post 1949063)
dola, let me pre-clarify to avoid confusion:

I don't want the government to give this guy money to stay in that expensive house.

I want the government to have some way where it can force banks to rework a mortgage.

The method of that reworking should be along the lines of:
- converting crazy ass loans into fixed term loans.
- extending the term of loans as needed to reduce monthly payments
- fixing interest rates to not adjust to the craziness caused by the current crisis... whatever the terms of the crazy contract may have been.
- void any overly harsh fees or clauses that are cleary designed to screw over homeowners in the banks favor, or make reworking mortgages harder.

The costs associated with such reworking is that banks would have given out loans expecting crazy clauses to increase their future value. I think that source of profit though is mostly evil in nature, banks trying to screw over consumers, so screw em in the earhole and tell the banks to eat the cost of having their precious fees and tricks removed.

Another cost is extending the term of loans does change risk profile of said loan. Although usually a longer term would have a lower risk rate in normal times, in this era there may be issues from having your money in the market for a longer period of time, but I'd say its an acceptable cost for handling the short term shocks to the system we are seeing. Longer terms also effects situations where the consumer may want to sell the house in the future, the government rework should clearly take that into consideration and prevent ways of reworking the loan that may make it too easy to offload the house at random prices in a recovery and screw the banks. This is why I tend to avoid changes to principle balance in this policy, ripe for exploit.

If the balance alone is enough to kill this house, which may be the case here, than I saw screw the guy. You are not entitled to irresponsible levels of credit and massive luxury in life. Hell I went through all sorts of shit just for having a debt of 5,000 (10,000 after bank tricks)... so I have little sympathy for people with 100 times the debt I had being mollycoddled.

I'm good with all of this and some expansion:

-If a homeowner can pay his/her mortgage if they get the loan bought out at its value with a low interest rate and reasonable fees and terms (i.e. no funny business) through some vehicle, say Fannie and Freddie, then it's done. Then people are out of the arm, they pay the fixed rate loan, and everyone's happy.

If you can get everyone, or a normal rate (i.e. all but 3%) paying back on a normal pay schedule, doesn't that pretty much make the mortgage backed securities at least worth something to the market? And then you make really strong rules not allowing a lot of the crap that went on to get us into the place. That fixes a lot of these problems, right? And isn't that pretty much what happened yesterday, at least with Fannie and Freddie's loans?

This still leaves the huge problem of upside down loans. I still have no good answer to that. You guys all know I hate the banks, right? We've been down this road enough times for you guys to know how much I hate the banks. But it sure as hell isn't fair to them that Mr $550K loan gets it written down to only $350K in principal because that's what it's worth now. You signed up for $550K, you pay $550K for your house but we'll work with you on the terms- we can stretch it out to 40 years and give you a reasonable loan at a bargain basement rate and no stupid fees, but we sure as hell aren't lopping $200K off the loan at taxpayer's expense and it's not really fair to the banks either.

SI

Mac Howard 02-19-2009 07:33 PM

A bit of armchair economics here:

Set all mortgage rates to variable at 1% above the fed rate (that's enough profit for these bastards) and extend mortgages out to 50 years if necessary. Problem fixed!

JonInMiddleGA 02-19-2009 07:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mac Howard (Post 1949119)
and extend mortgages out to 50 years if necessary. Problem fixed!

Or maybe not.

Where does it put us, long term I mean, if we're doing 50 year loans on houses that often quite literally aren't likely to last that long? A lot of these houses headed for default seem likely to be new construction and frankly, from what I've seen, a lot of them aren't likely to last 50 years without falling in on themselves.
No idea what it's like in your part of the world but here, construction quality has gone to shit steadily over the past decade or two at least.

I'm tired, my mind is on about 15 different things so I'm not thinking as clearly as I might, but wouldn't that end up being only a short to medium term solution at best? Granted, that's probably more than enough to satisfy a lot of people for now but in theory, what are the ramifications of having loans secured by collateral that's worth less than the remaining note by the end of the loan? Or for that matter having loans beyond the life expectancy of the borrower. The most obvious would be an extremely high default rate down the road at some point but maybe our financial wizards can tick off a list of other issues that creates as well.

Mac Howard 02-19-2009 08:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA (Post 1949126)
Or maybe not.

Where does it put us, long term I mean, if we're doing 50 year loans on houses that often quite literally aren't likely to last that long? A lot of these houses headed for default seem likely to be new construction and frankly, from what I've seen, a lot of them aren't likely to last 50 years without falling in on themselves.
No idea what it's like in your part of the world but here, construction quality has gone to shit steadily over the past decade or two at least.

:lol:

40 and 50 year mortgages are available here since the horrendous rise in house prices since 2000.

Quote:

I'm tired, my mind is on about 15 different things so I'm not thinking as clearly as I might, but wouldn't that end up being only a short to medium term solution at best? Granted, that's probably more than enough to satisfy a lot of people for now but in theory, what are the ramifications of having loans secured by collateral that's worth less than the remaining note by the end of the loan? Or for that matter having loans beyond the life expectancy of the borrower. The most obvious would be an extremely high default rate down the road at some point but maybe our financial wizards can tick off a list of other issues that creates as well.

Few mortgages are carried to conclusion and the houses sold well before the period comes to and end. Presumably the economy will recover in the medium term and the negative equity situation will have unravelled by then (at least for houses currently owned) and so people can sell their homes and pay off what remains.

Hopefully the housing crisis is a short term problem.

Note I said "variable" interest rate - so any subsequent house price bubble can be controlled by the Fed with rising rates.

What triggered the thought was an interview I've just seen with the Governor of the Australian Federal Reserve Bank who explained that because around 90% of Australians are on variable loans the recent drop in rates has reduced the monthly payment on a $200,000 house by $400 thus relieving mortgagees' financial problems. So repossessions are not taking place at anything like the rate for Americans where the percentage is very much lower.

When a large percentage of mortgagees are on variable interest loans monetary policy is much more effective because of its direct influence on consumers through mortgages. I guess it's a cultural difference - mortgagees here can choose fixed rates if they wish but don't - I assume Americans have the same choice but prefer fixed interest. I wonder if there is something to explain this difference in the terms of the loans.

And I did say it was armchair economics (and talking crap hasn't deterred anyone else ;) ) - I guess someone has thought of this and rejected it :)

Galaxy 02-19-2009 08:37 PM

So this guy in Queens spent $550,000 on a house with no-money down (on a $80,000 a year salary). He has racked up $70,000 in CC debt for his mortage payment?

Throw in the fact they renovated the house and spend $10,000 a year on private school, plus rental income (does that mean they have another mortage on the rental property?).

JonInMiddleGA 02-19-2009 08:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Galaxy (Post 1949163)
(on a $80,000 a year salary).

I don't think it was clear from the article whether that was $80k at the time they took on the mortgage or if that's what he makes now but was more when he was getting overtime plus his wife was working.

BishopMVP 02-19-2009 11:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SportsDino (Post 1945024)
A key part of the Japan lost decade comparisons that gets lost behind the 'more money, faster' tagline, is actually ripping the banks apart (in audits) and wiping out shareholders if necessary. The banks in Japan did not want that and held on until something had to be done, and the banks in the US are going to do the exact same thing.

Making the banks fail if that must be the case is a critical requirement of recapitalizing them. Default and get it over with, hell most of the equity in the banks is evaporating anyway with several major players less than half or in some cases 5-10% of previous size! (by share value).

Another key point of the Japanese "Lost Decade" is the allegation there was a recovery afterwards. Considering their current GDP contraction, I'd venture to say they were temporarily pushed higher by the US overconsumption boom. There was no recovery, and there won't be a significant long-term one unless they drastically change their xenophobic attitudes towards foreigners and immigration policies. Meanwhile, they have a national debt 180-200% of GDP, combined with a population median age 43.
Quote:

Originally Posted by SportsDino
And where you see a deflationary spiral, I see necessary deleveraging. We only are printing money to obfuscate bad debt from bad decisions by bad leaders at bad banks. I've already argued before that we never saw the sort of inflated prices to match that massive leverage (did your loaf of bread cost ten times the price of 1990?), so the real result of printing money is going to be an increase in prices (now that everyone knows the wizard of oz is just some fool behind a curtain).

To even start to match all that super leveraged debt to avoid what they are terming deflation, you would need to quintiple prices, at least.

Thank you. Broken down to its most simplest form, we are in a recession right now because people used credit to pay more than the real value for certain items (mainly houses). You can't make a house worth its purchase price unless you want to inflate the economy by that same amount. Likewise you can't make the massive credit debt disappear unless people save money and pay it off. All these stimuli packages are doing are protecting the perceived wealth of a lot of people when it fact it wasn't there to begin with. That Queens house isn't any bigger or smaller if it's worth 250k or 500k, and a 401(k) with a 30% higher balance isn't worth anything more if there has been 30% inflation, yet somehow all the political solutions are centered on preserving the perceived value of things rather than any actual productive long-term planning.

Personally, deflation is fantastic for me (and pretty much every one of my friends). I've never been in debt, wages are sticky downwards and the majority of my money is spent on food, rent/utilities, and all the insurance my state forces me to pay for (36% of my salary last month after taxes despite the fact I've never been in an accident or seen a doctor in 5 years) (oh, and beer - I'm doing my part albion). It sucks for other people that overleveraged themselves in the pursuit of often unnecessary material goods and services, but that's the risk you take.

SportsDino 02-20-2009 01:48 PM

Both true points Bishop, although Japan's 'recovery' of course depends on the U.S. consumption beast that is dying a slow death... it was still better than the path they were going. Hardly out of the ballpark, but if they continued down that previous road AND this craziness occurred, Japan would probably be a really bad mess right now.

We don't necessarilly want 40/50 year mortgages either... as Jon said, there is a point where we hit the silly factor. I do think we need to negotiate out the floating rates, if there is a recovery there may be a squeeze (if Fed continues its rate games policy) and it might choke dead any progress we make. Really the floating rate stuff to me is just encouraging homeowners to join the gambling club, and makes no rational economic sense to me. We have plenty of ways to make money off of random changes in rates in the markets, we don't need houses as another avenue for those games.

Some mortgages will need to die, even worst now that the companies are cutting to the bone because of the government's craptacular reaction to the falling economy. I really wish back in say July/August that the debate went towards shoring up the real economy and not the banks... we might be in a slightly different boat right now because prices might have stabilized faster into a more gentle downward adjustment instead of spiking every which way from the market panic, sending financial instruments off kilter that sent bank values into the tanks.

Billions of injections into over-leveraged balance sheets...., or stabilizing the assets whose PREDICTED collapse is causing the balance sheets to get covered in more and more blood red ink? Thats why I was harping the whole mortgage reform system so strongly back in the first talks about bailouts, and to a degree I think that is going to occur at any point as they try every other option and realize its time to take the common sense medicine and implement something similar to my idea.

Edward64 02-20-2009 10:23 PM

Sheesh. What a day, shoot me now and put me out of my misery. Let's nationalize those banks (and big 3 while we are at it) and get it over with.

Galaxy 02-20-2009 11:09 PM

We better not nationalize the Big 3.

sterlingice 02-20-2009 11:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Edward64 (Post 1950003)
Sheesh. What a day, shoot me now and put me out of my misery. Let's nationalize those banks (and big 3 while we are at it) and get it over with.

Did anyone else get a "Heck of a job, Brownie" vibe towards BoA and Citi from watching the Robert Gibbs statement?

SI

JonInMiddleGA 02-21-2009 08:30 AM

Couldn't figure out where to put this, figured I'd just throw it in here for lack of a better idea.

I thought this article was interesting, although not very deep or detailed, on the process underway at AIG as it's being unraveled & dismantled.
Meek ending for mighty unit that gutted AIG - Washington Post- msnbc.com

Young Drachma 02-21-2009 03:06 PM

Here's a local story.

'Homeless in 2 weeks Please help!' :: Beacon News :: Local News

Grammaticus 02-21-2009 03:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dark Cloud (Post 1950303)

I wonder what the dispute with her landlord is all about.

SFL Cat 02-21-2009 03:30 PM

Based on market reaction, I'd say we're in for at least 9-12 more months of a hard ride.

SFL Cat 02-21-2009 03:33 PM

Dola...hmmm higher taxes on "the rich" during the worst recession we've had since the 1970s...

Obama to Unveil an Ambitious Budget Plan

I revise my estimate to 18-24 months.

Galaxy 02-21-2009 11:30 PM

Yeah, let's raise taxes on businesses. Great idea! Between Bush and Obama, it's becoming a no-win situation.

Flasch186 02-22-2009 07:23 AM

I thought, and I could be wrong, that the official statistics from the gov't stated that most small business which is 95% of commerce or somethig like that, make under $250K / year. I thought I remember some sort of back and forth about that with Joe the Plumber's aftermath....

I was wrong, according to CNN's analysis of IRS filings it looks like 98.6% of small businesses would be unaffected

Checking facts: Will Obama raise small biz taxes? - Oct. 16, 2008

Quote:

Originally Posted by Horse that is Jesus
(CNNMoney.com) -- In speech after speech, presidential candidate John McCain hammers on the claim that his rival Barack Obama will raise taxes on many small businesses.

At the debate on Wednesday night, McCain said, "The small businesses that we're talking about would receive an increase in their taxes right now."

More typically he has said: "What [Obama] hasn't told you is that he would tax half of the income of small businesses in America," a line used in La Crosse, Wisc., last week.

Should small business owners fear for their wallets if Obama is elected? Not the vast majority, business and tax experts say.

To make its claim, according to a McCain spokesman, the campaign counts as a small-business owner any taxpayer who files a Schedule C, E or F - the forms used to report gains and losses from business ventures and farms.

Using that definition and citing IRS data, the campaign notes that "56.8% of total small business income is earned by businesses in the top two rates, which Barack Obama has pledged to raise."

It's true that Obama has proposed raising taxes on the top two income rates.

But there are three main problems with McCain's charge.
What is a small business?

First, it relies on a broad definition of what counts as a small business, including everyone who files a Schedule C, E and F.

But most people who file those forms don't run a business for a living: Those forms are also used to report income from freelance and consulting work, real-estate rentals, and most other non-salary sources.

For example, McCain and Obama both file Schedule C returns, thanks to their book royalties - but they hardly should be considered small business owners.

In 2005, there were 21.5 million Schedule C returns filed, according to the IRS.

A more realistic definition of small businesses turns up far fewer firms. The Small Business Administration estimates that there were 6 million small businesses in 2005, as measured by those with fewer than 500 employees and with staff on the payroll other than the owner.
Who pays?

Second, even using the broad definition of small business that McCain likes, very few owners would see their own taxes rise.

That's because the lion's share of taxable income comes from a small number of wealthy businesses. Out of 34.7 million filers with business income on Schedules C, E or F, 479,000 filers fall into the top two brackets, according to an analysis of projected 2009 filings by the nonpartisan Tax Policy Center.

The other 34.3 million - or 98.6% - would be unaffected by Obama's proposed rate hike.

That includes Joe "The Plumber" Wurzelbacher, whom McCain invoked nearly two dozen times at the debate Wednesday night to illustrate the plight of the average worker and small business owner.

"Joe wants to buy the business that he has been in for all of these years ... he wanted to buy the business but he looked at your tax plan and he saw that he was going to pay much higher taxes," McCain said.

In an interview afterward with WTOL, Wurzelbacher acknowledged that he'd still like to eventually buy the plumbing company he works for but that he wouldn't yet be hit by higher taxes.

"I want to set the record straight: Currently I would not fall into Barack Obama's $250,000-plus," he said. "But if I'm lucky in business and taxes don't go up then maybe I can grow the business and be in that tax bracket - well, let me rephrase it. Hopefully, that tax won't be there."

Few owners are that lucky in business. In a member survey conducted late last year, the National Federation of Independent Business (NFIB) found that only 14% of respondents said they had $200,000 or more in annual income.

As Tax Policy Center fellow Len Berman recently told Fortune Small Business: "Most owners of small businesses have small incomes."
What gets taxed?

Third, even if you're one of the rare business owners making enough money to be affected by Obama's proposed tax increases, you still won't see a big hike in your tax bill.

McCain's claim that Obama "will increase taxes on 50% of small business revenue" - the line he used in the second presidential debate - is incorrect because of how income is taxed.

If a business owner falls into the top bracket, that doesn't mean that all of his or her income is taxed at the highest level.

For example: If a small-business owner makes $210,000 in taxable income, he edges into the 33% bracket, one of the two top tax rates that Obama would like to raise.

But he would pay the higher tax only on the amount that exceeds the cutoff - in 2007, the two top tax rates applied to single filers with income of $160,850 or more and joint filers with income of at least $195,850. As a single filer, this business owner would see his federal taxes increase $1,475 under Obama's plan, which calls for raising the 33% tax rate to 36%.

"While Obama does favor raising the top two rates, the quote is not true because not all the small business income of those in the top two rates is taxed at the 33% and 35% rates," said Gerald Prante, a senior economist at the nonpartisan Tax Foundation.

The bottom line: McCain's claim only works by using an overly broad definition of what counts as a "small business" - and even with that definition, fewer than 2% of business owners would be hit by Obama's proposed rate increase. For those who are affected, the increase would be levied only on a part of their earnings, not all of them.

Raiders Army 02-22-2009 07:37 AM

Flasch, I'm not sure about the relevance of quoting an article before the election. Obama's already gone back on his word, so I would take his campaign promises with a grain of salt.

Flasch186 02-22-2009 07:55 AM

it was a reference of the statistic within the article of what $250K (which is the number he has recently mentioned) means....history didnt start in November.

Another amazing or mind boggling thing to me is that what SFL fails to mention is that Obama has stated he'd do this when the economy recovers and not during the recession, at least on everything ive read and heard so perhaps he read or heard something different.

Than those opposed to all the money spent on recovery usually mention inflation and deficits so you'd think that they would see this other side of the scale as being a good thing to counteract the expenditures now, no? well, no....

JPhillips 02-22-2009 08:11 AM

I'm not sure how the country will survive with tax rates slightly lower than during the Clinton years.

Raiders Army 02-22-2009 08:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flasch186 (Post 1950519)
it was a reference of the statistic within the article of what $250K (which is the number he has recently mentioned) means....history didnt start in November.

Another amazing or mind boggling thing to me is that what SFL fails to mention is that Obama has stated he'd do this when the economy recovers and not during the recession, at least on everything ive read and heard so perhaps he read or heard something different.

Than those opposed to all the money spent on recovery usually mention inflation and deficits so you'd think that they would see this other side of the scale as being a good thing to counteract the expenditures now, no? well, no....

I'm not really finding anything recent about what he's said about business taxes that quotes $250K. He's talked about individual taxes and $250K.

My point was that he's already gone back on his word about his nominees and pork in bills. That's two for two on major things he's done in the first month of office.

Flasch186 02-22-2009 08:29 AM

yup and he went back on his word about expeditiously nixing the Bush Tax cuts....for shame.

To the point mentioned recklessly IMO by SFL is that he'd raise taxes on businesses which is true but somewhat ingenuous when using the definitions as stated as $250K which would mean 2% of businesses. PLUS he fails to mention that it isn't raising taxes BUT letting the Bush tax cuts expire as intended when they were passed. I'm with JPhillips, that when it expires, IF we're clear of the recession, than it would be a GOOD thing to try to get back to a balanced budget which will mean choices and taxes.

He had to pass a 'spending' bill IMO so I guess we differ on the need for some pork right now.

I dont know what you mean about the nominees....for the most part he's been grilling them and forcing them to pull out if there is something massively wrong ethically. I DO have a problem with Geithner getting through after the taxes came up and think Geithner shouldnt have been confirmed on that note (also on a side note that Geithner was supportive of Lehman's allowance to fall).