Front Office Football Central

Front Office Football Central (http://forums.operationsports.com/fofc//index.php)
-   Off Topic (http://forums.operationsports.com/fofc//forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   2017 College Football Season thread (http://forums.operationsports.com/fofc//showthread.php?t=93295)

HerRealName 01-01-2018 07:42 PM

That seems like a weird play call. Maybe Riley has more confidence in his defense than he should.

tarcone 01-01-2018 07:46 PM

Will they delay the start of the other game if we go to OT?

JonInMiddleGA 01-01-2018 07:57 PM

What a horrible 3rd down playcall there by OU. Win or lose, that was atrocious.

Extremely unimpressed by Riley/staff in this one tbh.
And without Mayfield, he might be the next Kevin Sumlin.

Vince, Pt. II 01-01-2018 07:58 PM

What a game. Someone tweeted that it's the first ever OT in the Rose Bowl. Is that true? Seems crazy that a game that's been played over 100 times has never been to OT.

JonInMiddleGA 01-01-2018 07:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vince, Pt. II (Post 3190229)
What a game. Someone tweeted that it's the first ever OT in the Rose Bowl. Is that true? Seems crazy that a game that's been played over 100 times has never been to OT.

Remember though, college football OT only been around since the bowl season in '95.

edit to add: a piece from last year about that fact
https://www.cbssports.com/college-fo...-oral-history/

Vince, Pt. II 01-01-2018 08:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA (Post 3190230)
Remember though, college football OT only been around since the bowl season in '95.

Duh. Thanks for that.

Atocep 01-01-2018 08:00 PM

I think overtime favors Georgia here.

Which means OU probably wins.

HerRealName 01-01-2018 08:05 PM

You have the best player in college football and you completely take him out of the game in OT. Very weird.

JonInMiddleGA 01-01-2018 08:19 PM

And just when I thought I couldn't think less of Riley's job down the stretch, along comes the 2nd OT.

Holy hell, what a shitshow.

PilotMan 01-01-2018 08:19 PM

Helluva game

Atocep 01-01-2018 08:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA (Post 3190234)
And just when I thought I couldn't think less of Riley's job down the stretch, along comes the 2nd OT.

That was some atrocious play calling.

Eaglesfan27 01-01-2018 08:20 PM

Thought it was going to be a blowout after that first half, but heck of a comeback by Georgia.

bhlloy 01-01-2018 08:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA (Post 3190234)

Yeah, that was some absolutely baffling play calling. Like the play calling sheet ran out of plays to call except outside runs or something.

You have to let your Heisman QB win the game for you there surely, especially with the way the rest of the game went.

JonInMiddleGA 01-01-2018 08:22 PM

Prediction: Riley is gone within three seasons.

Feel free to come back to this thread and point at me if I'm wrong.

Edward64 01-01-2018 08:22 PM

Yup, great comeback. Still rooting for the Dawgs to win it all.

HerRealName 01-01-2018 08:25 PM

Ted Cruz probably thinks Lincoln Riley went too conservative. Great game by Georgia though. Kirby Smart's defensive adjustments at halftime were the difference. Riley didn't seem prepared at all.

BishopMVP 01-01-2018 08:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HerRealName (Post 3190216)
I don't think Peters has shown much of anything. His Wisconsin game was his best but that that was a .500 completion percentage and down 10-21 when he went out. Speight was pretty good in 2016 before the injury.

Yeah, don't mistake my post as an endorsement of Peters. I just think Speight is bad, and his solid numbers in 2016 were more from good Harbaugh gameplanning than anything he was doing. At least Peters/McCaffrey/Patterson have upside, you know what Wilton Speight is and it's not enough.
Quote:

Originally Posted by tarcone (Post 3190222)
Exciting game. Very fun to watch.

Year 4 and Harbaugh hasnt recruited a QB?

Year 4? His first real recruiting class was 2016, and they have Shea Patterson, Peters, Joe Milton and Dylan McCaffrey on the roster for Year 4. That's a 4/5* each full recruiting period he's had and a 5* transfer, but only 1 has played yet, and that was as a redshirt freshman. (Peters definitely didn't impress too much this fall, but before writing off McCaffrey remember that Andrew Luck redshirted under Harbaugh too - Harbaugh's not psycho in the way Brian Kelly is, who will just throw every QB in whether they're ready or not.) I don't even know why I'm the one defending Harbaugh since I dislike Michigan, but opposing fans sure seem to want to say he's on the hot seat and run him out of Ann Arbor a lot more than Michigan fans do.

tarcone 01-01-2018 08:29 PM

Heck, I dont want him to go. Iowa still owns Michigan and I dont think that will change under Harbaugh. :)

bob 01-01-2018 08:29 PM

I still hate UGa, but I guess people will be in a better mood around here for a week or so so it's not all bad.

JonInMiddleGA 01-01-2018 08:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HerRealName (Post 3190241)
Ted Cruz probably thinks Lincoln Riley went too conservative.

Okay, I'm totally stealing that

GrantDawg 01-01-2018 08:33 PM

I think I pulled a hamstring jumping up and down after that blocked kick. Wow. I'm just in shock. That game should be charged for attempted murder.

GrantDawg 01-01-2018 08:35 PM

Btw, is it going to come out later that Mayfield broke a rib on that hit? He didn't look the same after that, which might be why they just stopped throwing.

jbergey22 01-01-2018 08:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GrantDawg (Post 3190247)
Btw, is it going to come out later that Mayfield broke a rib on that hit? He didn't look the same after that, which might be why they just stopped throwing.

The way he was hopping around waving his arms up and down prior to the start of OT he looked fine to me.

JonInMiddleGA 01-01-2018 08:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bob (Post 3190244)
I still hate UGa, but I guess people will be in a better mood around here for a week or so so it's not all bad.

You're kidding, right?

The next 7 days will be the most obnoxious endurance test in decades.

CU Tiger 01-01-2018 08:37 PM

3% battery and no charger.
My tigers in more trouble than m.y phone

bob 01-01-2018 08:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA (Post 3190249)
You're kidding, right?

On second thought, you are probably right, although that generally affects me a lot less now that I work from home and don't listen to sports talk.

BishopMVP 01-01-2018 08:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tarcone (Post 3190243)
Heck, I dont want him to go. Iowa still owns Michigan and I dont think that will change under Harbaugh. :)

Iowa's beaten Harbaugh once - by a point at home - but hey, you'd probably think Iowa would own Alabama and Saban if they joined the B1G, so I just find the homerism endearing at this point. :p

JonInMiddleGA 01-01-2018 08:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bob (Post 3190251)
On second thought, you are probably right, although that generally affects me a lot less now that I work from home and don't listen to sports talk.

You have to remember that some of us are trapped here behind enemy lines.

bob 01-01-2018 08:43 PM

To be clear, I definitely don't want them to win next week, although the alternatives are fairly craptastic as well

PilotMan 01-01-2018 08:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA (Post 3190249)
You're kidding, right?

Just imagine how bad things will be if Bama wins tonight.

tarcone 01-01-2018 08:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BishopMVP (Post 3190252)
Iowa's beaten Harbaugh once - by a point at home - but hey, you'd probably think Iowa would own Alabama and Saban if they joined the B1G, so I just find the homerism endearing at this point. :p

Well, I was talking Michigan in general. Iowa has won 5 out of the last 6. And 1-0 with a win over 3rd ranked UM team coached by Harbaugh.

Also, I wouldnt compare Harbaugh to Saban quite yet.

JonInMiddleGA 01-01-2018 08:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PilotMan (Post 3190255)
Just imagine how bad things will be if Bama wins tonight.

I'm okay with that, I only know like a dozen Bama people :)

JonInMiddleGA 01-01-2018 08:56 PM

And of that dozen or so, most are actually knowledgeable about football & have no history of making irrational claims when they suffer the occasional loss.

The second worst outcome behind UGAg winning next week is UGAg losing, since the excuses & denial will last for another 30-40 years afterwards.

Edward64 01-01-2018 08:57 PM

Nice pass defense there.

GrantDawg 01-01-2018 09:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jbergey22 (Post 3190248)
The way he was hopping around waving his arms up and down prior to the start of OT he looked fine to me.

Just a guess. There was a reason he just stopped throwing. It might just be down to the looks he was giving. Georgia played the pass aggressively and maybe he or Riley were just trying to take what they thought they could get. It just seems strange.

On further note: Mayfield, in his regular classy way, looked back at the Georgia defense during the first quarter after a touchdown and made the throat slashing sign while saying "it's over." Following the game, as Mayfield was leaving the field, Georgia LB Bellamy followed him of the field yelling "humble yourself!" over and over. :D

GrantDawg 01-01-2018 09:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA (Post 3190258)
And of that dozen or so, most are actually knowledgeable about football & have no history of making irrational claims when they suffer the occasional loss.

The second worst outcome behind UGAg winning next week is UGAg losing, since the excuses & denial will last for another 30-40 years afterwards.

You never lived in Alabama.

JonInMiddleGA 01-01-2018 09:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GrantDawg (Post 3190261)
You never lived in Alabama.

Their sidewalk alums don't even come close to the absolute most obnoxious fanbase on the planet. Soccer hooligans could take lessons on being unbearable from the DawgNation.

Edward64 01-01-2018 09:05 PM

Question - I am watching this on ESPN HD (on Cox Xfinity with HD channels) and it doesn't look that crisp to me. Anyone else having this problem?

Butter 01-01-2018 09:09 PM

Alabama has played this whole half in Clemson territory, it seems like. All SEC final unless Clemson offense wakes up.

MizzouRah 01-01-2018 09:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bhlloy (Post 3190238)
Yeah, that was some absolutely baffling play calling. Like the play calling sheet ran out of plays to call except outside runs or something.

You have to let your Heisman QB win the game for you there surely, especially with the way the rest of the game went.

Agreed.. and on that 3rd and 2 in OT he then decides to pass it when a run would have probably gotten a 1st down. Baffles me though why they took the ball out of Mayfield's hands... bizarre..

tarcone 01-01-2018 09:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Butter (Post 3190265)
Alabama has played this whole half in Clemson territory, it seems like. All SEC final unless Clemson offense wakes up.

UGH

GrantDawg 01-01-2018 09:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Butter (Post 3190265)

The Bama defense has been pretty beat up. They look healthy now. We have to see what happens in the second half, because this is college football.

JonInMiddleGA 01-01-2018 09:16 PM

Three scoring drives in game 2 so far. None of 60 yards or more.

Talk about a field position game.

bob 01-01-2018 09:18 PM

Rose Bow just saw 100 point OT game between SEC and BIGXII

Purists must all be sick

JonInMiddleGA 01-01-2018 09:38 PM

I just realized how bad that OU staff performance was:

Kirk Ferentz would have been an upgrade.

PilotMan 01-01-2018 09:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA (Post 3190263)
Their sidewalk alums don't even come close to the absolute most obnoxious fanbase on the planet. Soccer hooligans could take lessons on being unbearable from the DawgNation.

Hell no. It's not even close. Same thing with the UK sidewalk alums, which is pretty much the entirety of central and eastern KY, but even they can't touch Bama fans after the last 10 or so years.

jbergey22 01-01-2018 10:00 PM

Anyone able to tell the difference between good defense and poor defense after watching these two semi-final games? All the talk about conservative offense late in the game but they still scored 48 points which should win 99.9 percent of the time if your defense isnt just terrible.

Gotta feel for the Oklahoma offense and being as good of a team as they were with defense holding them back.

JonInMiddleGA 01-01-2018 10:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jbergey22 (Post 3190281)
Anyone able to tell the difference between good defense and poor defense after watching these two semi-final games?

I think so, yeah.

Quote:

All the talk about conservative offense late in the game but they still scored 48 points which should win 99.9 percent of the time if your defense isnt just terrible.

I'm pretty sure that everybody should have known game one would be a shootout. Which is why you can't call plays like a drunk on 'shrooms when you have the ball.

jbergey22 01-01-2018 10:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA (Post 3190282)
I think so, yeah.

I'm pretty sure that everybody should have known game one would be a shootout. Which is why you can't call plays like a drunk on 'shrooms when you have the ball.

First comment was intended for the "B12 has such great offense its not that the defenses are that bad" people.

And I lol at your second comment. He called the game like a NFL coach that was scared to lose once Georgia came back. Georgia made some halftime adjustments that clearly confused the hell out of that coaching staff.

But still, you could have driven a truck through some of them holes. I guess their solid defensive performance against Ohio State is what had "some" people underestimating how poor their defense was this year.

JonInMiddleGA 01-01-2018 10:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jbergey22 (Post 3190284)
And I lol at your second comment. He called the game like a NFL coach that was scared to lose once Georgia came back. Georgia made some halftime adjustments that clearly confused the hell out of that coaching staff.

I'm on board with the notion that UGAg adjustments were key in q3 and maybe parts of q4. But I did not see them being the reason for the inexcusable choices time & again in the closing minutes & the OT. It was, as someone said up the thread, they reached the end of the play sheet & literally had no idea what to run.