Front Office Football Central

Front Office Football Central (http://forums.operationsports.com/fofc//index.php)
-   Off Topic (http://forums.operationsports.com/fofc//forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Board Games (http://forums.operationsports.com/fofc//showthread.php?t=68584)

Matthean 11-04-2014 09:12 PM

Keyflower's new expansion hit KS with a very "preorder" system goal of $100. Considering the expansion with the promo is $35, that had to take some of the fewest orders to hit its goal.

Thomkal 11-07-2014 09:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thomkal (Post 2972407)
Tabletop: Season 3 starts November 13!

NOT The Flog: Halloween Tips - HALLOWEEK - YouTube

A new trailer for the upcoming season-shows a quick look at some of the games and guests playing with Wil, including some kids.

TableTop Season 3 - Premieres November 13th - YouTube

Matthean 11-07-2014 11:20 PM

Recruiting finally paid off. Had seven show up with more possible. Love Letter, Smash Up, Takenoko, and Power Grid were played. I got tempted to move Power Grid into the 9 area for ratings, but I still need more plays. The person who was screwed in phase one was really set up for phase two and ended up winning so the comeback aspect might be a little too strong in this one. I got the strategy of the game better but still tied for second in a four player game. Still around a Top 20 game for me though. Takenoko might go down just a hair due to imbalance in the objectives although I think another couple talked themselves into picking it up, so there's that.

tarcone 11-10-2014 04:18 PM

Just participated in a Math trade at BGG. It was huge. Over 4000 items listed. I put up Formula D and an extra map and Conquest of Planet Earth and the expansion.
Both were traded.
I received Struggle of Empires and Galactic Emperor. 2 games I have been looking at for quite awhile.

They were not my 1st choices, but Im excited I got them.

PadresFan104 11-10-2014 06:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tarcone (Post 2975291)
Just participated in a Math trade at BGG. It was huge. Over 4000 items listed. I put up Formula D and an extra map and Conquest of Planet Earth and the expansion.
Both were traded.
I received Struggle of Empires and Galactic Emperor. 2 games I have been looking at for quite awhile.

They were not my 1st choices, but Im excited I got them.

I almost participated, but the thought of having to pack and ship the games I am looking to sell sounds like a huge chore. I hear they sometimes do regional ones where you can trade in person....

rockboy70 11-10-2014 08:40 PM

So anybody going to BBGCON? Went last year and had a great time.

ColtCrazy 11-10-2014 08:42 PM

I've done one Math Trade on BGG, the war-game one from a couple of months ago. Got a nice Seven Years War battle game while giving up a Columbia games Civil War game I wasn't huge on. It's cool to see what you might end up with, but it's hard for me to get away from school long enough to ship so I wouldn't do it very often.

Matthean 11-13-2014 01:17 PM

I won't spoil the moment, but that was a genuine lol moment.

Thomkal 11-13-2014 03:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matthean (Post 2975981)
I won't spoil the moment, but that was a genuine lol moment.

Wil plays the victim so well, but then he's had a lot of practice with that on Tabletop :) Glad its back for another season, and had some good guests. I certainly didn't expect to see Chris Kluwe on this.

tarcone 11-13-2014 04:22 PM

Good video. Dont think I will run out and buy this one. But it did look like a decent game.

cschex 11-13-2014 04:47 PM

Tokaido is a really nice light family option and good with intro gamers because it's pretty easy to pick up. The Crossroads expansion adds a ton of strategic choice and makes it a lot meatier and very replayable

Matthean 11-13-2014 05:25 PM

It doesn't do anything that Takenoko can't fill as a gateway already so I have no need to get it. I can see why it works for people though.

cschex 11-13-2014 07:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matthean (Post 2976036)
It doesn't do anything that Takenoko can't fill as a gateway already so I have no need to get it. I can see why it works for people though.

Agreed on that. I own both but mainly because my 8 year old daughter loves playing both of them. For adults I would say one or the other is fine for a gateway

ColtCrazy 11-13-2014 09:58 PM

Tuesday Game Night - Only 4 of us could make it so we took time away from monster war games to play a couple of one offs:

King of New York
Brief History of the World

Really enjoyed King of New York. I was okay with Tokyo, but this added some nice twists. No more hiding away to suck up victory points. Might end up on my wish list sometime.

Brief History of the World is a pretty entertaining game. Light, fast, and fairly strategic.

CleBrownsfan 11-14-2014 07:47 AM

Haven't purchased games since the spring so I went on somewhat of a splurge ;)

Hosting a game night next Friday so here's hoping some of these can get to the table...

1 - Evolution (New, Board Games, North Star Games) at $37.49 each
1 - Sheriff of Nottingham (New, Board Games, Arcane Wonders) at $24.99 each
1 - Diamonds (New, Board Games, Stronghold Games) at $17.49 each
1 - Lords of Xidit (New, Board Games, Asmodee Editions) at $40.99 each
1 - Robinson Crusoe: Voyage of the Beagle Expansion (New, Board Games, Z-Man Games) at $27.49 each

Matthean 11-14-2014 08:43 AM

I really need to find a way to get a play of Robinson Crusoe in since I can never tell if I need to get it or not. Maybe I'll see if that can be done at UCon this weekend. I'm going for a play of Dead of Winter since Plaid Hat Games will be there.

CleBrownsfan 11-14-2014 09:13 AM

Robinson Crusoe is one of the few games I enjoy playing solo. So I have got a lot more plays in comparison to most of the games I own. I just need more nerdy friends ;)

Matthean 11-14-2014 11:43 AM

I feel like I'm on the eternal search for a game I can solo in about an hour with the replay I want. All to often the answer is a co-op while playing multiple characters, which I don't like, or LotR: LCG, and I'm trying to avoid that rabbit hole as I have A:N already. I almost wonder if I need to start playing Sentinel Tactics from the view point of the villain even if that isn't really soloing a game. Give me something like The Mage Knight Adventures where things are done in smaller bits and in campaign form.

OldGiants 11-14-2014 12:02 PM

Played Tokaido with 3 Disney artists before watching TT. Very different experiences.

Fidatelo 11-14-2014 12:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matthean (Post 2976212)
I feel like I'm on the eternal search for a game I can solo in about an hour with the replay I want.

+1

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game comes closest in many aspects, but boy I could do without all the shuffling. And ultimately the gameplay itself is probably the least interesting of the games I've tried, though it is fun enough for me that it doesn't hold me back.

Marvel Legendary is a good solo experience if you follow some of the harder rules from the first expansion. However it is dying for some kind of story or campaign mode to give the games more meaning. And it suffers from the shuffling thing too.

LotR:LCG is probably the best solo play experience but I tired of needing to build a specifically tuned deck for each scenario. When I was younger that would have been awesome but now it's not my cup of tea.

I think the game I most want to try solo is Thunderbolt: Apache Leader, but I doubt it fits into 60 minutes.

Matthean 11-14-2014 02:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fidatelo (Post 2976226)
+1

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game comes closest in many aspects, but boy I could do without all the shuffling. And ultimately the gameplay itself is probably the least interesting of the games I've tried, though it is fun enough for me that it doesn't hold me back.

Marvel Legendary is a good solo experience if you follow some of the harder rules from the first expansion. However it is dying for some kind of story or campaign mode to give the games more meaning. And it suffers from the shuffling thing too.

LotR:LCG is probably the best solo play experience but I tired of needing to build a specifically tuned deck for each scenario. When I was younger that would have been awesome but now it's not my cup of tea.

I think the game I most want to try solo is Thunderbolt: Apache Leader, but I doubt it fits into 60 minutes.

I can see doing Jade Regent for Pathfinder, but I'm not sure how many other settings would really get me interested. None of the gameplay videos really made it stand out.

Marvel Legendary has been beaten badly by Encounters but playing it solo might make it decent enough. Add in expansions and it could be hard enough to make it interesting, but that's a base game and expansion just to start.

In my younger years, LotR would have been an easy pick.

Wargames are there, but I have a hard enough time trying to learn the ones I have. I feel like they would just add to the pile.

PadresFan104 11-14-2014 02:18 PM

Not sure if it's what you are looking for, but Victory Point Games has a bunch of great solo games that all take less than an hour to play. In my rotation recently have been Infection, Zulu's, and In Magnificent Style. I also have the Director's Cut of Zeds waiting to play... I stopped trying to "solo" 2-player and co-op games when I found these games.

Matthean 11-14-2014 06:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PadresFan104 (Post 2976270)
Not sure if it's what you are looking for, but Victory Point Games has a bunch of great solo games that all take less than an hour to play. In my rotation recently have been Infection, Zulu's, and In Magnificent Style. I also have the Director's Cut of Zeds waiting to play... I stopped trying to "solo" 2-player and co-op games when I found these games.

Dawn of the Zeds is getting an expansion and the base game is on my wishlist. It's just hard to squeeze it in right now.

Also, I started up Mage Knight again, and it hammers home how much I love a narrative in games. First turn was going into a dungeon, almost getting KOed, slaying the werewolf, grabbing the Amulet of Darkness, and then trying to decide for my next turn if I want to rest or head off to the glade for some healing.

OldGiants 11-15-2014 10:31 AM

Doomtown Reloaded is a great way to get a wargamer like me started on deck building games. While I'll play Dominion again, needing to manuever units into a shootout and manage logistics with town building created more interest than simply building the best deck for the poker based shootout hands.

Plus I've won all 3 times, so I'm ready for more.

Matthean 11-16-2014 12:45 AM

Never been to a Con outside of a local one so I was taken back by the pricing at UCon where buying a ticket merely gets you in. In order to play games you have to pay additional money. I don't see me going again anytime soon. About the only thing that was good about the whole experience was playing TI3. Well, for the most part. I got to play with one of the most stereotypical annoying players as well, and he ended up winning but that's a ramble for another time. I would put the game in the range of an 8 although I don't see it being that high.

ColtCrazy 11-16-2014 08:22 AM

For the war gamers out there, MMP is having an Almost Black Friday sale. Several quality titles are considerably marked down.

http://myemail.constantcontact.com/I...id=IZ0WKxzJfAY

Glengoyne 11-16-2014 09:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OldGiants (Post 2976223)
Played Tokaido with 3 Disney artists before watching TT. Very different experiences.

I'm left wondering how this is a two sentence post.

I want more. I might need a bit more.

PurdueBrad 11-24-2014 12:55 PM

Anyone playing Marvel's Dice Masters (via Wiz Kids)? A couple buddies at work have me hooked on it and, while I'm not usually a CCG player, it's a really cool system. The starters seem to be sufficiently powered and the boosters simply add an array.

Now, that is of course, not including the super rare cards which add some significant advantage. I have several but the Green Goblin ("Gobby") and Wolverine (Canucklehead) both seem really strong (and, of course, I have neither). I've gotten beat pretty badly by someone wielding each. I have the Black Widow though and she is very strong as well.

If anyone is playing, I would be curious about how you've gone about building your team/deck as this is the first CCG where I've had my own set.

Matthean 11-26-2014 03:26 PM

Well, Cardhaus's Black Friday sale killed my Christmas wishlist. Even backup items went out of stock. It looks like it might be a very Netrunner Christmas instead.

tarcone 11-26-2014 03:27 PM

Yeah. The stuff I want is out of stock already.

I am getting one present from my wife. It will be a game. Not sure which yet.

Florida trip is our Christmas this year.

Matthean 11-26-2014 09:20 PM

Genuinely disappointed that Trains: Rising Sun went out. I could have subbed in Legendary:Encounters in and felt like I still did pretty good but that sold out as well. The data packs for Netrunner were too good to pass up being as a final option.

I almost got Viticulture at CSI even with shipping since it is 50% off, but I don't want to be in a habit of getting merely decent games as that seems to be a habit as of late.

Matthean 11-27-2014 09:28 AM

Next year I'm gonna submit my Christmas list before the so called Black Friday deals start at various OLGS on Wednesday. Lesson learned. I went Star Wars: Imperial Assault, Troyes, and Star Realms expansion bundle. I can't really complain about getting stuff related to games in BGG's Top 100 or one that will be.

OldGiants 11-27-2014 11:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Glengoyne (Post 2976612)
I'm left wondering how this is a two sentence post.

I want more. I might need a bit more.

TT was essentially"gang up on Wil" My game was about completing as many pictures as possible--regardless of whether you actually needed them to win. Being able to point out where a similar painting is, was,or might have been located at Japan in EPCOT was the chatter. I got to the end first,the others dawdled to get more picturepieces. Somebody won, not me.

Galaril 11-28-2014 04:20 PM

I got a few games I am putting up for sale on Boardgame geeks:
Legendary Alien Encounters $40
Red, White and Blue Racing $25
B-29 Super Fortress $40
Forbidden Island $15

If anyone wants them all I will throw in free shipping.

Matthean 11-28-2014 11:49 PM

Are they new or opened/used?

Galaril 11-29-2014 12:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matthean (Post 2980194)
Are they new or opened/used?

All opened but other wise new.

Mizzou B-ball fan 11-29-2014 12:05 PM

Good deal on King of Tokyo. Just under $21.

Amazon.com: King of Tokyo: Toys & Games

Thomkal 11-29-2014 01:32 PM

Tabletop plays Forbidden Desert:

Forbidden Desert: Felicia Day, Alan Tudyk, and Jon Heder join Wil Wheaton on TableTop S03E02 - YouTube

Matthean 11-29-2014 04:45 PM

Somehow I had completely ignored knowing much of anything about the Game of Thrones board game so I finally got a chance to play it ended up likely in far more than expected. We only did it four player, but I'm gonna try to see if we can pull off 6 players next time.

Galaril 11-29-2014 07:28 PM

Anybody have any Roman Empire or Roman Republic era war games or along that theme at least they could recommend?

Warhammer 11-29-2014 08:08 PM

Hannibal: Rome vs Carthage created the card driven wargame genre. The Sword of Rome is good, but you need 4 for it. Nice thing about this game is that the sides are asymmetrical.

tarcone 11-29-2014 08:14 PM

Mathean, great game. 6 player is a must. Also, there is an expansion that makes a 4 player game really fun.

Galaril, COIN series, Gallic War will be out next year. Hannibal: Rome vs. Carthage, The Sword of Rome, Command and Colors: Ancients are just a few.

I played Cuba Libre today. A 2 player game. It was a good time. I was the Gov't and the other M26. I won on the last prop card. The Bot players are very well done. But the lack of negotiating makes it a little different game. The guy i played against was out of resources the las1/5 of the game. And the syndicate was flush with resources. Not being able to nbegotiate made a big difference.

Matthean 11-29-2014 08:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tarcone (Post 2980462)
Mathean, great game. 6 player is a must. Also, there is an expansion that makes a 4 player game really fun.

Galaril, COIN series, Gallic War will be out next year. Hannibal: Rome vs. Carthage, The Sword of Rome, Command and Colors: Ancients are just a few.

I played Cuba Libre today. A 2 player game. It was a good time. I was the Gov't and the other M26. I won on the last prop card. The Bot players are very well done. But the lack of negotiating makes it a little different game. The guy i played against was out of resources the las1/5 of the game. And the syndicate was flush with resources. Not being able to nbegotiate made a big difference.

I know about the 6 player aspect. A friend talked about the game after they played it 3 player. I was trying to guess what GoT game he was talking about because I wouldn't have recommended the board game due to the player count. I talked about the expansion, but the guy who owns it doesn't want to get farther in the storyline than where he is at.

I am still looking at the COIN series. I want Fire in the Lake, but I fear Cuba Libre would be the safer pick.

Galaril 11-29-2014 09:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Warhammer (Post 2980459)
Hannibal: Rome vs Carthage created the card driven wargame genre. The Sword of Rome is good, but you need 4 for it. Nice thing about this game is that the sides are asymmetrical.

Quote:

Originally Posted by tarcone (Post 2980462)

Thanks Imforgot about those but those are good recommendations and yeah I am excited for the. Gallic War game from COIN.

tarcone 11-29-2014 09:52 PM

Cuba Libre is a easier game and a great introduction into the series. The map is small and tight. So it is not difficult to grasp.
Fire in the Lake is a much more difficult game in the series. It adds some things that are not in Cuba Libre.
A friend bought A distant Plain, which is a step up from Cuba Libre. And you can tell. I believe Fire in the Lake is a step up from A Distant Plain.

Gallic War is supposed to be along the lines of Cuba Libre in difficulty.

As for Game of Thrones, it doesnt get deeper into the story line at all. What it does is add secret missions and different victory conditions. not 10 castles and you win.
It makes GoT much better with 4. It really is a game that needs to be played with 6 if you are playing the base game.

Matthean 11-29-2014 10:55 PM

I know a guy who has all of the COIN series and a number of GMT games. My problem is gaming with him outside of conventions, and I have yet to even do that.

Vince, Pt. II 11-30-2014 12:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tarcone
As for Game of Thrones, it doesnt get deeper into the story line at all. What it does is add secret missions and different victory conditions. not 10 castles and you win.
It makes GoT much better with 4. It really is a game that needs to be played with 6 if you are playing the base game.

I'll echo these sentiments almost exactly. Game of Thrones is one of my favorite board games with 5 or 6 players, but it doesn't do a great job of scratching that intrigue itch that a game with the Game of Thrones name implies. I need to get more plays with the expansion under my belt, but the one play we had made the game feel much more like you'd expect a game bearing this name to feel. In the base game, everyone has exactly the same objective: control as many castles as possible. There's no hidden agenda, and there is very little in the way of deception possible. Sure, you can scheme with others about what help you're going to give, but there is extremely little in the way of hidden information in the game. With the expansion, now you have hidden missions that each player is trying to complete, and it makes for much more intricate plotting.

Vince, Pt. II 11-30-2014 12:25 AM

Well, I won't back the "doesn't get deeper into the storyline at all" aspect. The houses all have different card decks representing them, and it would be rather spoilerific if he isn't caught up in the story yet.

Matthean 12-07-2014 09:26 PM

My one complaint of Tabeletop is that the language is rather strong for something that is promoting the hobby. I know a number of people who dislike Felicia Day, but she does a great job here even if I'm not overly fond of the games she's talking about.

Honolulu_Blue 12-08-2014 09:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matthean (Post 2982954)
I know a number of people who dislike Felicia Day...

Who are these idiots and why are you associating with them?