Front Office Football Central

Front Office Football Central (http://forums.operationsports.com/fofc//index.php)
-   Off Topic (http://forums.operationsports.com/fofc//forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Official 2021 College Football thread (http://forums.operationsports.com/fofc//showthread.php?t=97706)

albionmoonlight 01-20-2022 09:07 AM

dola: If he stays at Michigan, then it feels like he will have made the decision to stay there for as long as they will have him.

Ksyrup 01-20-2022 09:08 AM

And alumni or not, even with the OSU thing off his back and a playoff appearance, he seems like the kind of guy who can wear out his welcome fairly quickly.

tarcone 01-20-2022 11:30 AM

Not sure if you guys heard this one or not, KF has disbanded the diversity committee he put together after the racism stuff from a couple years ago. The head of the committee said that it was time for KF and AD Barta to retire. Right after that comment, KF got his contract extension.

Swaggs 01-20-2022 03:25 PM

I read about that at Iowa. I'm not sure who set up the committee, but giving the head coach the capacity to disband it makes no sense to me. Is anyone shocked that he disbanded it if they recommended he be replaced? Pretty poor optics by whoever made the arrangement.

Swaggs 01-20-2022 03:28 PM

From what I read about Harbaugh, they cut his salary in half last year. I assume he could have said no, but didn't. So, is it that he felt they didn't have faith in him (given a take it or leave it cut in salary, after leaving an NFL job for his alma mater) and he went out and had an excellent season, so he's now in position to send a major FU to whoever in the department he feels wronged him?

tarcone 01-20-2022 07:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Swaggs (Post 3356940)
I read about that at Iowa. I'm not sure who set up the committee, but giving the head coach the capacity to disband it makes no sense to me. Is anyone shocked that he disbanded it if they recommended he be replaced? Pretty poor optics by whoever made the arrangement.

Kirk Ferentz owns the big boosters, so he runs the athletic department. Shoot, he gave a schollie to the nephew of the biggest booster to punt at Iowa and the dude was garbage.

miami_fan 01-22-2022 07:11 PM

Just because he has been of some interest on FOFC.

GrantDawg 01-27-2022 07:01 AM

There seems to be a lot of smoke around Caleb Williams and Wisconsin.

lungs 01-27-2022 09:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GrantDawg (Post 3357918)
There seems to be a lot of smoke around Caleb Williams and Wisconsin.

Yeah, sounds like Chryst is going to bring in Bobby Engram as OC, who has a son on the team that went to high school with Williams.

Not getting my hopes up too much but it is plausible. What I expect is that Williams won’t come to Madison. Then Graham Mertz will transfer because he’s angry and then Chryst will have to get Danny Vanden Boom back for a 6th year.

(The last part is a joke only Badger fans will understand)

GrantDawg 01-29-2022 07:45 PM

Harbaugh interviewing with the Vikings.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

Vegas Vic 02-01-2022 01:36 PM

No surprise, but Caleb Williams officially to USC now. Snoop Dogg raps his arrival.

Ksyrup 02-02-2022 01:41 PM

What the bloody hell? Glad it was worth it!

miami_fan 02-02-2022 07:12 PM

So who had Jimbo Fisher being pissed at "Sliced Bread" on your National Signing Day bingo card?

HerRealName 02-02-2022 07:20 PM

Weird Harbaugh is staying at Michigan, apparently until he is fired now. I'm very happy about this and look forward to 11/26.

It is rumored that Bill O'Brien was headed to Ann Arbor. I think he would have been a good hire so I'm doubly happy Harbaugh is staying.

sovereignstar v2 02-02-2022 07:27 PM

Harbaugh will be at Michigan until an NFL team wants him.

GrantDawg 02-03-2022 07:17 AM

GrantDawg 02-03-2022 07:18 AM

albionmoonlight 02-03-2022 07:48 AM

The sooner they get rid of the NIL middleman and let schools/boosters just pay players directly the better.

Right now, it is like the worst of all worlds.

cuervo72 02-03-2022 08:06 AM

Yep. Stand by my idea of compensating players however you want, with a scholarship as the minimum salary, so to speak.

JPhillips 02-03-2022 08:53 AM

I'd only favor schools paying directly if athletic departments were also forced to balance the books independent of fees and general fund subsidies. Public schools shouldn't be paying the athletes by charging students more.

BishopMVP 02-03-2022 09:50 AM

An Ole Miss coach/Lane Kiffin being the whistleblower on college football recruiting would be a Jose Canseco/Juiced moment and I am here for it haha

Ksyrup 02-03-2022 10:07 AM

I can't tell if Kiffin is (relatively) above board or just supremely courageous/stupid, but he also took a direct shot at Hugh Freeze while he (Kiffin) was at Ole Miss, too. Maybe this is an extension of the political "accuse the other guy of what you're doing" thing. I just can't tell with him.

miami_fan 02-03-2022 10:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ksyrup (Post 3358881)
I can't tell if Kiffin is (relatively) above board or just supremely courageous/stupid, but he also took a direct shot at Hugh Freeze while he (Kiffin) was at Ole Miss, too. Maybe this is an extension of the political "accuse the other guy of what you're doing" thing. I just can't tell with him.

What would be below board as far as college football rules in today's environment?

Other than the academic fraud and that the schools can't pay the players. It feels like everything else is fair game. Even if Jimbo knows the history, does anyone actually care at this point that the star wide receiver as random SEC school got paid $100,000 three years before NIL?

miami_fan 02-03-2022 10:31 AM

I also think Kiffin does not feel the need to act like this stuff did not already go on. I would not be surprise if he admits to being the bag man for his head coach a few years down the line.

Ksyrup 02-03-2022 10:39 AM

Teams are still suffering penalties for recruiting violations - loss of scholarships, etc. He's been a head coach for a while, so surely there are things he's done/sanctioned that were illegal when they occurred. Not just what's going on recently while NIL was allowed.

miami_fan 02-03-2022 11:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ksyrup (Post 3358894)
Teams are still suffering penalties for recruiting violations - loss of scholarships, etc. He's been a head coach for a while, so surely there are things he's done/sanctioned that were illegal when they occurred. Not just what's going on recently while NIL was allowed.

I guess I am wondering how long schools are going to go along with the facade of the NCAA recruiting rules mattering in POWER 5 football now that NIL is here.

Also we are talking about Lane Kiffin. Nothing he does or does not say now is going to stop someone from spilling the beans on him. I would be surprised if there were any beans left to spill TBH.

Ksyrup 02-03-2022 12:48 PM

I guess that's what I'm saying. Kiffin of all people has to have a target on his back, so his constant trolling of opponents seems foolish.

JonInMiddleGA 02-03-2022 10:03 PM

Just a story I thought some B12 people might find trivially interesting

Paul Rhoads, former Auburn DC, replaces Brian VanGorder on HS coaching staff

Ksyrup 02-04-2022 10:21 AM

Appears to be a snowballing effect on Bryan Harsin at Auburn. Not sure if he'll be replaced this late (or early really) in the season, or if they can given he's only coached one year, but he's getting a ton of negative press right now.

Ksyrup 02-04-2022 10:25 AM

On a completely unrelated note, I've been pretty impressed with Mark Stoops' ability to pull NFL guys to join his UK staff. Liam Coen as OC was a great move, and now it appears he's going to replace the OL coach who left for Alabama with a guy from the 49ers.

JonInMiddleGA 02-04-2022 12:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ksyrup (Post 3359024)
Appears to be a snowballing effect on Bryan Harsin at Auburn. Not sure if he'll be replaced this late (or early really) in the season, or if they can given he's only coached one year, but he's getting a ton of negative press right now.

from Sept 25, 2021

Quote:

Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA (Post 3346494)
Given how poorly Harsin reacted to a question about his plan for making a QB decision for next week, I suspect he's going to be a short term stay at Auburn. He looks like he's considerably out of his depth at knowing how to handle that aspect of the job and if the lack of preparation shown today is an indication, maybe not the only part.

Ask Jim Donnan how being a prick affects your job security, especially when you aren't winning much.

Ksyrup 02-22-2022 07:18 AM

The second O'Donnell was hired by Minnesota the rumors started that Liam Coen would leave UK to be OC for the Rams and that's what happened. Sucks for UK that they only had him 1 year. I have to figure Stoops either goes with someone very young or very old to try to keep someone in the position for several years for consistency. Maybe he pulls another underling NFL assistant, as he's had great luck doing it so far.

Ksyrup 02-25-2022 12:57 PM

Stoops replaces Liam Coen with another McVay/Shanahan guy, this time 49ers QB coach Rich Scangarello. Stoops is getting pretty good at this.

tarcone 03-04-2022 08:17 PM

Iowa gives the QB coach title to Brian Ferentz.

Yay

Vegas Vic 03-29-2022 02:51 PM

"NIL agents"? Perhaps he's looking to pick up endorsements from Bail Bonds Services.

miami_fan 04-10-2022 01:49 PM

Yesterday, I learned that going to a spring game when you are not an alumnus or fan of the school that is playing is not for me.

Ksyrup 04-10-2022 02:54 PM

I had not heard that Gene Deckerhoff announced his retirement from announcing FSU athletics until I happened upon the spring game yesterday afternoon. He is an absolute FSU legend but this is the right call. The last few years, I've noticed him really struggle to keep up with both football and basketball games. Kudos to him for knowing it's time (I assume he wasn't forced out).

miami_fan 05-03-2022 08:03 PM

Task force to big-money boosters: NIL sanctions could be coming - Sports Illustrated

JonInMiddleGA 05-03-2022 08:58 PM

Yeah, ain't gonna happen.

People wanted the wild west, they have it. The genie ain't going back in the bottle, the courts won't allow it.

I still hope to see the NCAA simply disband and leave the various entities that destroyed college athletics sort it out for themselves.

BishopMVP 05-03-2022 10:53 PM

I did see two transfer periods may be incoming, and that makes a fair amount of sense.

Also saw coaches were pushing against the 25 scholarship limit in a year - I could see going to 30 there? But if you pull that off completely and make it unlimited you really do open it up for bringing in a full starting roster or an all star team.

JonInMiddleGA 05-04-2022 01:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BishopMVP (Post 3366791)
I did see two transfer periods may be incoming, and that makes a fair amount of sense.

Also saw coaches were pushing against the 25 scholarship limit in a year - I could see going to 30 there? But if you pull that off completely and make it unlimited you really do open it up for bringing in a full starting roster or an all star team.

The concern behind that notion, apparently, is the opposite - that teams that are portal ravaged might be working with significantly underfilled rosters.

miami_fan 05-04-2022 05:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ksyrup (Post 3365439)
I had not heard that Gene Deckerhoff announced his retirement from announcing FSU athletics until I happened upon the spring game yesterday afternoon. He is an absolute FSU legend but this is the right call. The last few years, I've noticed him really struggle to keep up with both football and basketball games. Kudos to him for knowing it's time (I assume he wasn't forced out).

He is going to continue doing the Bucs radio broadcast at least for this season. That is an insane schedule even with (I assume) access to private jets and the like.

BYU 14 05-04-2022 07:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BishopMVP (Post 3366791)

Quote:

Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA (Post 3366792)
The concern behind that notion, apparently, is the opposite - that teams that are portal ravaged might be working with significantly underfilled rosters.

This was the first thought I has as well, expanding to more than 25 a year, as long as you don't exceed the 85 total schollie limit, would allow teams to make up for excessive transfers.

HomerSimpson98 05-04-2022 09:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA (Post 3366786)
Yeah, ain't gonna happen.

People wanted the wild west, they have it. The genie ain't going back in the bottle, the courts won't allow it.

I still hope to see the NCAA simply disband and leave the various entities that destroyed college athletics sort it out for themselves.

Good point and its kinda where I am right now.

Very depressing knowing the shit show that is coming. Its only going to get worse before it gets better unfortunately. Sad that my kids wont get to enjoy/experience the same wonderful sport that I did. Yeah, it had its warts but this current path is easily unsustainable at best. Fucking poor at worst.

miami_fan 05-05-2022 10:01 AM

I thought we did not want Congress sticking its beak in sports?

SEC, Pac-12 commissioners to visit Washington in pursuit of help with NIL policies

Atocep 05-15-2022 04:24 PM

JUCO Transfer QB General Booty Commits to Oklahoma | Sports Illustrated

Yes, John David and Josh are his uncles.

cuervo72 05-15-2022 04:59 PM

"General?" TF with these names, man.

JonInMiddleGA 05-15-2022 05:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cuervo72 (Post 3367557)
"General?" TF with these names, man.

He is the son of former LSU receiver Abram Booty who, according to General in a 2020 interview, came up with the QB’s name based on his fascination with the military.

Ksyrup 05-15-2022 05:08 PM

I would have gone with Major.

JonInMiddleGA 05-15-2022 05:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ksyrup (Post 3367560)
I would have gone with Major.

My actual wisecrack yesterday was that I'm just glad he got promoted, cause being Major Booty had to suck